Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:24

Some motor sport ratings from this past weekend:

Le Mans 24 Hours
- 2011 average: 48k
- 2012 average: 49k

13:45 to 19:00 - 74k (0.6%), peak: 94k (0.9%) at 15:50
19:00 to 19:30 - 113k (0.6%), peak: 127k (0.6%) at 19:20
19:30 to 21:30 - 54k (0.2%), peak: 97k (0.4%) at 20:15
21:30 to 22:00 - 17k (0.1%), peak: 23k (0.1%)
22:00 to 02:00 - 35k (0.4%), peak: 75k (0.6%) at 23:15
02:00 to 08:30 - 16k
08:30 to 09:00 - 14k
09:00 to 14:15 - 76k

And also:

Sky Sports 3
18:00 - Live IndyCar Series: 3k (0.01%)
* race average from 20:00 to 22:00: 4k (0.02%)

BBC Two
12:30 - MotoGP: 882k (10.0%)
* race average from 13:00 to 13:45: 1.07m (12.4%)

Eurosport/Eurosport 2
11:10 to 12:20 - Moto2: 105k
14:30 to 15:30 - Moto3: 87k

The IndyCars rating is not a typo.

Advertisement

#702 Risil

Risil

• 13,644 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:46

Interesting that Moto2 and 3 on Eurosport do much better than GP2 and 3 on SSF1?

#703 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,329 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:49

Interesting that Moto2 and 3 on Eurosport do much better than GP2 and 3 on SSF1?

Mainly because Moto3 and Moto2 have obvious talented drivers. GP3 and GP2 can't compete. Also, bikes appear to have more 'relevance' to it's target audience. A road bike is similar to a M3/M2/MGP whereas no one drivers single seaters. F1 just powers over every else because of pure 'prestige'.

#704 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:57

You're overreacting mate I'm not judging you. I'm a similar age, been watching F1 a similar time and would prioritise F1 in my budget to be able to watch it live in HD if I was able to get it (especially if every session was available).

I have to agree with the other guy concerning personal circumstances. as much as I have tried to budget, I cannot afford it and I think about F1 24/7. I'm very much a committed fan and yet Sky has priced itself out of my reach. I'm planning a family and at present that is going to be a massive struggle where mine and her parents will have to help out financially. I've stuck with the BBC and to be honest, they are doing the better job so far this year. If it goes completely off FTA in the coming years, I will have no choice but to cut my interest in the sport. Its not really a good position to put fans into if F1 is looking to expand its fanbase is it? Alienating fans based on personal income just puts out the wrong message IMO.

#705 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 20:24

Some motor sport ratings from this past weekend:
The IndyCars rating is not a typo.

That is shockingly low! Do you know if those are representable figures for the rest of the races? Id imagine they would get more viewers than that on a Sunday eve without a football tournament on.

#706 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 20:27

Race was on Saturday though. But I am surprised it is so amazingly low. Was there football or anything else? Other than it being Saturday night, with a rain delay, and other things you could be doing.

#707 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,681 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 20:30

Sky Sports 3
18:00 - Live IndyCar Series: 3k (0.01%)
* race average from 20:00 to 22:00: 4k (0.02%)

:eek:

#708 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 20:32

That is shockingly low! Do you know if those are representable figures for the rest of the races? Id imagine they would get more viewers than that on a Sunday eve without a football tournament on.

Opening race figure, last hour on SSF1 due to channel changes:

19:00 to 20:00 - Live IndyCar Series: 21k (0.09%)
* peak: 34k (0.15%) at 19:05

Full Sao Paolo race on SSF1 (again changed at late notice) had 16k.

And for the Indy 500:

16:30 to 21:00 - Live Indianapolis 500: 28k
* peak: 53k at 17.20

#709 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 21:28

It's mind-blowingly obvious Sky should broadcast the rest of the Indycar races on SSF1. There's practically no point having the rights is it can only scrape three-thousand viewers, not to mention people who have the F1 channel are likely to be interested in other series as well (like me).

#710 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:10

How many people woud have SSF1 but not the channel Indycar is on?

#711 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,714 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:15

To be fair to last weekends Indycar, it had several factors going against it:

Primetime Saturday evening slot - that's not primetime to be watching Indycar though, it's when people are watching the mass-market dross on the major channels. And that's the people who have stayed home on Saturday evening.

It was subject to a lengthy rain delay, with Keith Huewen announcing within minutes that there'd be at least a one hour delay. Folk will have switched off in droves at that. It took a lot of convincing my other half to stay with it to the end. Not easy on a Saturday in the house together. Now consider those with less understanding other halves.

There was also football showing at the same time (albeit the original time the race was meant to start). I know one mate who is an Indycar viewer every Sunday night but would always take a clashing football match over a race. Multiply that UK wide.

The Indycar figures are clearly never mind blowingly high, but they deserve a little slack for last weekend.

#712 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,324 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:17

Race was on Saturday though. But I am surprised it is so amazingly low. Was there football or anything else?

There was football.

#713 stewie

stewie

• 433 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:23

Quite alot I'd imagine, there are bound to be extra viewers on Sky who just have the HD pack and not sports. But it's not the Sky way, they want to spread content over as many channels as possible to get you to subscribe to as many of them as possible.

Shame the viewing figures were so low on Saturday, I was watching on Sky Go and really enjoyed the race. As I have done with pretty much all of the 2012 season.

#714 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,714 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:40

It's a shame that Keith Huewen has alluded on Twitter to the very real possibility that Indycar may disappear from Sky at the end of 2012.

I'd find that a huge shame, as to me part of the reason you pay for Sky Sports is to obtain sports that have a low following. Clearly this is just too low for Sky to make any meaningful income from advertisers during races. However, I'm not entirely sure what live sports are available to replace a sports series that UK time generally takes place around 9pm on a Sunday evening. They did ditch live Indycar a few years ago for one season I believe (showing it as delayed most of the time), replaced by NASCAR which presumably had even more dismal viewing figures, as it didn't last long.

I think if Sky drop Indycar again, it will presumably be completely, not just the live part, and I think that would be it for Indycar on UK TV for the forseeable future. It's not the economic climate for a non-subscription channel to pick up a live sports event that attracts so few viewers. I think the heady days of Champ Car being shown in full on Channel5 (albeit delayed) are long long gone,

EDIT to add:

What I find bizarre is Sky's seeming stubborness to utilise the F1 channel for Indycar purposes in any meaningful fashion. Besides one race, they've had no crossover.

I'm not suggesting every Indycar race be shown live, although I believe every race could be shown live and not clash with a single live F1 weekend session (iincluding support races), but they could at least advertise the fact that Indycar exists and that Sky broadcast it. Again, they don't need to take over the whole channel with Indycar stuff, but is an advert too much to ask for? They don't need to use actual commercial break time where revenue is king, just use literally 10 seconds of on-air time to show a quick advert every now and again. Considering some of the unimportant stuff they talk about before and between sessions, there's a heck of a lot of time to mention Indycar and at least see how it goes.

Edited by Imperial, 19 June 2012 - 22:48.

#715 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:46

Well me for a start :p

But more to the point, I would say people who watch SSF1 are more likely to be interested in Indycar than those who are watching whatever Sky Sports channel it's bounced too. If it's always broadcast on the F1 channel (or as much as possible to avoid F1 clashes), then it could probably bring in more viewers by being in one place and advertised to F1 viewers. It's not like the channel doesn't have space, or that Indycar is driving Sky Sports subscriptions.

#716 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 23:41

Race was on Saturday though. But I am surprised it is so amazingly low.

I must admit I almost missed it, I wasn't expecting it on Saturday and it was only seeing comments in the Indycar thread on here that I found out it was on. Sky also moved it over to Sky Sports 3, as well as clashing with football and other Saturday night viewing. At least Sky could at least advertise it on SSF1 if they won't move it to the F1 channel. After all, there's plenty of good points they could use to sell it.

Unfortunately Indycar to most people in the UK is non existent, UK motorsport fans might remember it as that old race series Nigel Mansell went to in the 90s. It amazes me that even now there are many motorsport fans in the UK who don't know who Dario Franchitti is even though he has been much more successful in the past few years than our British F1 drivers.

#717 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 23:54

The Indy 500 figure is alarming.

#718 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,329 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:41

Motorsport isn't that popular in the UK really. Not alarming at all.

#719 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:21

Possibly - or non-F1 Motorsport isn't.....

Think the Sky F1 channel should really be a Sky Motorsport channel....showing endless repeats of races, shows, etc

Advertisement

#720 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:29

That's a bit like looking at the UK TV audience for an Aussie Rules match and saying "football isn't that popular in the UK really". TV audiences for F1 races remain pretty strong in the UK (even after the BBC/Sky deal) and the British GP usually sells out, even at the eye-watering prices charged.

The problem with the Indy 500, so far as the UK TV audience is concerned, is that, although there are British drivers currently racing (and winning), none of them was a household name before leaving to race in the USA. Consequently it is only enthusiasts who have heard of Dario Franchitti or Justin Wilson and anyway winning at the Brickyard no longer carries the kudos it once did. Contrast this situation with that almost 50 years ago - when Jim Clark and Graham Hill won the Indy 500 in 1965 and 1966 they were both already F1 World Champions. Similarly 30 years later, when Nigel Mansell first raced at Indy, he was the reigning World Champion.

#721 stewie

stewie

• 433 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:37

I hope Sky don't stop showing it given I've just got back into it! Given the amount of British drivers in Indycars, and people like Rubens, Sky could probably do good business advertising and showing on SkyF1HD to build up a good audience. I also noticed the other day they haven't changed the intro graphics etc to reflect the new cars!

On the front of tv ratings, they are a bit of a joke as houses that participate in the BARB panel account for something like 7,000 viewers (if I remember rightly) so a rating of 3,000 for Saturday's race would suggest only half a person watching in a BARB house. Of course, there could have been tens of thousands of people watching, but if they aren't in a BARB house then it won't be registered.

Edited by stewie, 20 June 2012 - 10:38.

#722 Calorus

Calorus

• 3,395 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:39

The UK Motorsport community don't have that much time for foreign national spec-series, in general. I think the drivers are attracted by the wage packets rather than global coverage, and ovals in general don't seem to gain much respect either.

In 93-94 when Mansell arrived fresh from the F1 title and romped to victory with Newman-Haas I think a lot of people were skipping ovals to the point where we were getting time-shifted street races, but only highlights of the ovals. (But those street races were exceptional)

Edited by Calorus, 20 June 2012 - 10:39.

#723 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,714 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:13

The UK Motorsport community don't have that much time for foreign national spec-series, in general. I think the drivers are attracted by the wage packets rather than global coverage, and ovals in general don't seem to gain much respect either.

In 93-94 when Mansell arrived fresh from the F1 title and romped to victory with Newman-Haas I think a lot of people were skipping ovals to the point where we were getting time-shifted street races, but only highlights of the ovals. (But those street races were exceptional)

Curious what you mean by UK Motorsport community - drivers or viewers?

I'm not sure drivers are attracted by wage packets to be honest. Apart from a few teams, most have got minimal sponsorship and budgets.

#724 smitten

smitten

• 1,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:31

The UK Motorsport community don't have that much time for foreign national spec-series, in general.

Few countries have much interest in another's domestic series...

#725 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,329 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:33

That's a bit like looking at the UK TV audience for an Aussie Rules match and saying "football isn't that popular in the UK really". TV audiences for F1 races remain pretty strong in the UK (even after the BBC/Sky deal) and the British GP usually sells out, even at the eye-watering prices charged.

The problem with the Indy 500, so far as the UK TV audience is concerned, is that, although there are British drivers currently racing (and winning), none of them was a household name before leaving to race in the USA. Consequently it is only enthusiasts who have heard of Dario Franchitti or Justin Wilson and anyway winning at the Brickyard no longer carries the kudos it once did. Contrast this situation with that almost 50 years ago - when Jim Clark and Graham Hill won the Indy 500 in 1965 and 1966 they were both already F1 World Champions. Similarly 30 years later, when Nigel Mansell first raced at Indy, he was the reigning World Champion.

Motorsport in general isn't that popular. F1 is something entirely different.

#726 slideways

slideways

• 3,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:37

I have to agree with the other guy concerning personal circumstances. as much as I have tried to budget, I cannot afford it and I think about F1 24/7. I'm very much a committed fan and yet Sky has priced itself out of my reach. I'm planning a family and at present that is going to be a massive struggle where mine and her parents will have to help out financially. I've stuck with the BBC and to be honest, they are doing the better job so far this year. If it goes completely off FTA in the coming years, I will have no choice but to cut my interest in the sport. Its not really a good position to put fans into if F1 is looking to expand its fanbase is it? Alienating fans based on personal income just puts out the wrong message IMO.

As you say we're only willing to pay so much. I've missed most Indy races this year unfortunately.

#727 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 17:23

I hope Sky don't stop showing it given I've just got back into it! Given the amount of British drivers in Indycars, and people like Rubens, Sky could probably do good business advertising and showing on SkyF1HD to build up a good audience. I also noticed the other day they haven't changed the intro graphics etc to reflect the new cars!

On the front of tv ratings, they are a bit of a joke as houses that participate in the BARB panel account for something like 7,000 viewers (if I remember rightly) so a rating of 3,000 for Saturday's race would suggest only half a person watching in a BARB house. Of course, there could have been tens of thousands of people watching, but if they aren't in a BARB house then it won't be registered.

It's 5,100 houses that are BARB'd. To be honest, a rating that small does not surprise me. I mean, how much promotion or website coverage does IndyCars actually get on Sky? Not much.

#728 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,309 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 17:33

Sky dropping Indycar may not be a bad thing. Eurosport or Motors TV may pick it up and they are more accessible to fans.

#729 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 18:48

Opening race figure, last hour on SSF1 due to channel changes:

19:00 to 20:00 - Live IndyCar Series: 21k (0.09%)
* peak: 34k (0.15%) at 19:05

Full Sao Paolo race on SSF1 (again changed at late notice) had 16k.

And for the Indy 500:

16:30 to 21:00 - Live Indianapolis 500: 28k
* peak: 53k at 17.20

Thanks D.M.N. :up:

Those are really low in general. It cant cost Sky much in rights and/or to produce the show if they're sticking with it with those ratings. How much can it really cost to have Keith and a couple others sit in a studio filling in down time in the American broadcast anyway!

#730 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:52

3.83 + 0.5 for yesterday = highest since 2000. Peak of 5.0 for BBC, and ~1.0 for Sky

#731 Risil

Risil

• 13,644 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:30

Those are really low in general. It cant cost Sky much in rights and/or to produce the show if they're sticking with it with those ratings. How much can it really cost to have Keith and a couple others sit in a studio filling in down time in the American broadcast anyway!

I imagine Sky only have the deal for the Indy 500 airing rights.

#732 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:50

F1 - 3.09m (20.9%)
* 12:05 to 12:55 - 2.64m (25.7%)
* 12:55 to 15:30 - 3.24m (19.4%)
* lowest since 2006 (unsurprisingly)

Including Sky will take you to about ~3.5m. Murray peaked with 16.9m (67.89%).

#733 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:47

Not a major surprise there really. Even I was switching between the two and kept it on the tennis once the race finished. Frankly though whoever was playing in the final I suspect it still would of taken viewers off the grand prix.

#734 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:53

Yep since the Mclaren boys were struggling by the time the Wimbledon final started I'm guessing most fans decided to change their medium of disapointment

#735 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,386 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 00:21

Ratings for Germany?

#736 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 15:41

Apologies, haven't updated this in a while, so a brief summary:

- Germany had lowest ratings since 2008, Sky faired well but lowest since 2008 as BBC put the highlights on BBC Two thus deflating the combined averages
- Hungary did very well, combined average of over 4m, again lowest since 2008, but marginally down, and given the Olympics competition it held up admirably

As for IndyCars, under 12,000 viewers watched Edmonton on July 22nd on Sky Sports 4...

#737 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 15:50

The fact that it's not on SSF1 shows that Sky couldn't really give a toss about it.

#738 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 15:52

What else is on SSF1 but F1?

#739 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 15:55

GP2 and GP3? (although I'm not sure they really count given that they are under the 'F1 umbrella' as it were)

Advertisement

#740 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 15:56

GP2/3? It's part of the same rights package I assume but that shouldn't have much to do with what they put on what channel.

Edited by Disgrace, 07 August 2012 - 15:56.

#741 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:07

Hello, it's Sky Sports F1.

#742 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:12

It's a catchier name than Sky Sports Motorsport.

Do you think it would get more views if advertised and broadcast on SSF1, you know, with F1 fans watching?

#743 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:18

It's a catchier name than Sky Sports Motorsport.

Do you think it would get more views if advertised and broadcast on SSF1, you know, with F1 fans watching?

Yes, if it was promoted on say The F1 Show and during F1 race weekends.

Although there's only two races left this year, but neither clash with F1 races so they should put both on there and promote them during the race weekends.

#744 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:19

Not really. It's not like Sky Sports Extra is a super rare channel.

#745 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:19

3. Sonoma, Baltimore, Fontana. Road, street, speedway.

#746 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,717 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:22

As for IndyCars, under 12,000 viewers watched Edmonton on July 22nd on Sky Sports 4...

Nobody watches those races in the States either. I heard the overnights for Mid-Ohio were 0.6

#747 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 16:23

Well no one in Milwaukee could watch :mad:

.6 isn't bad for an Olympic weekend.

#748 R420

R420

• 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:38

The fact that it's not on SSF1 shows that Sky couldn't really give a toss about it.

Of course they care, or they wouldn't show it. They just want to suck as much money out of customers as possible.
Why put it on Sky Sports F1 when they can put it on the more expensive Sky Sports package (the only way to get Sky Sports F1 in a year or two no doubt, just like Virgin Media and Smallworld Cable customers have too) and make more money out of it?

GP2 and GP3? (although I'm not sure they really count given that they are under the 'F1 umbrella' as it were)

Their packaged with the F1 coverage aren't they? So really do not count like you said.

#749 Hamilton100000

Hamilton100000

• 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 16:52

This was also during sky sports free weekend so shows that there really is barely anyone who watches it

Edited by Hamilton100000, 08 August 2012 - 16:53.

#750 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:34

AUTOSPORT have got a ratings article in today's edition for anyone interested, although rather annoyingly re-runs are not accounted for (so it seems Australia and Malaysia are up, when in reality they are actually down).