* * * * - 7 votes

A detailed look into UK F1 television ratings

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

#851 pdac

pdac

• 722 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:08

Might be connected to the fact that BBC have only had one live race out of 4 - any breakdown on the viewer distribution between the two channels?

I was thinking the same myself.

Advertisement

#852 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:10

How many countries have F1 on subscription only? If it's a fair few it could be killing the casual fan and more importantly new fans of the sport.

#853 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,162 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:14

Interesting and similar to the German ratings. They are also down by about 1 million compared to 2013. China had the lowest ratings of any F1 Grand Prix since RTL started to broadcast F1 (more then 20 years!!).

So not looking good for F1.

Hmm, where did you read that? 

The 3.91m (40.4%) percent figure in here doesn't look too bad, although admittedly there are no comparisons posted: http://www.quotenmet...in-publikumshit

#854 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 295 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:22

Hmm, where did you read that? 

The 3.91m (40.4%) percent figure in here doesn't look too bad, although admittedly there are no comparisons posted: http://www.quotenmet...in-publikumshit

Quotenmeter is the worst site to get a deep inside look.

Die Sonntagsspiele erzielten unterdessen Marktanteile von 3,7 und 4,7 Prozent, nachdem die Formel 1 am Vormittag bereits 3,6 Prozent eingefahren hatte. 270.000 Zuschauer sahen das Rennen aus China. Das waren 100.000 weniger als noch ein Jahr zuvor. Und auch für RTL ging es nach unten: Waren im vorigen Jahr noch knapp fünf Millionen Zuschauer dabei, so erreichte die Live-Übertragung diesmal nur noch 3,91 Millionen Zuschauer.

http://www.dwdl.de/z..._verliert_fans/

2013: 5m

2014: 3,91m

I have been following the German ratings (not only for F1) closely for years.

Edited by Tourgott, 21 April 2014 - 17:23.

#855 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,307 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:32

I think a drop in ratings is to be expected. F1 has lost a lot of excitement over the past year (at least for me) and I know several others who have stopped watching the sport recently.

I am sure the ratings will stay reasonable here in the UK, but it is obvious a select portion of viewers have simply turned off.  (For lots of reasons)

#856 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,368 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:31

But we have all those droves of new fans right? With the new rules and all? 

It is odd the first race also had lower ratings, you would expect people to be curious.

#857 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,604 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:43

It was probably a bit early in the morning for the casual viewer - especially as it was a Sky exclusive race. Maybe by they time BBC showed the highlights it was old news, especially for the twitter generation where it is much harder to avoid hearing the result than for those of us who rely on the 'steam radio'.

#858 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,158 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:52

I'm surprised by the consistent and significant drop in UK ratings. With Hamilton finally back in a consistently winning car I thought there would be a boost not a decline. Bahrain being a million down despite being aired at a better time of day is particularly interesting. 

What is putting people off? Is it still a side effect of one team dominating (Red Bull and Vettel previously, now Merc). Did that kill off the casual fans and they aren't bothered to come back?

#859 Risil

Risil

• 13,621 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:56

Leading F1 people repeatedly telling the world how shit F1 is probably hasn't helped.

Advertisement

#860 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,604 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:11

The highlights of Bahrain where on late on a Sunday night as it was a night race this year, and Sky do not allow the highlights to be shown too soon after the race.

I guess Bernie's bargaining point with the teams that 'there are 10m Sky viewers' is now coming home to roost. Cannot see UK based sponsors clamouring to sign up.

#861 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 1,714 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:14

What is putting people off?

A boring event spread over 3 days. People have better things to follow that give instant gratification in a couple of hours.

#862 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,666 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:46

A boring event spread over 3 days. People have better things to follow that give instant gratification in a couple of hours.

The race, the main attraction, only lasts a couple of hours even if you include peripheral coverage. That's no different to watching a film or partaking in a haze of drug-taking. If you take House of Cards, a key element of its success has been it's delivery of an entire season at a time. People are happy to spend the hours.

#863 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 1,714 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:11

The race, the main attraction, only lasts a couple of hours even if you include peripheral coverage. That's no different to watching a film or partaking in a haze of drug-taking. If you take House of Cards, a key element of its success has been it's delivery of an entire season at a time. People are happy to spend the hours.

Movies and TV series may have a different audience than sports. Bernie did try making the racing artificially exciting but that has slowly gone now too. You have 20 drivers finish the last race and nobody passed nobody for the most part. That has got to be bloody boring. When you only have 19 sporting weekends in a whole year, the races better be exciting with lots of passes, unexpected change of positions, etc. None of that happens anymore so almost every race is a yawn fest.

#864 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:14

On a more general note, how would a change in "viewing habits" (for want of a better word) be reflected in these ratings?

What I mean specifically is how much of the "drop" in TV viewers can/could be attributed to the fact, that some people watch a stream in the Internet, rather then the race in TV?

Are these numbers, and that is how I understand them, based on TV audience only, or do the include live streams as well?

There is a fair chance, that F1 and motorsport in general may loses followers, but on the other hand, it could be a case of a shift in "consumer sentiment" as in "how" to consume the sport.

To ascertain, if this is the case, one would perhaps need to take a broader view on "sport in TV" in general, if they "suffer" a similar faith, then F1 may don't "lose" followers, but TV is losing it's charm &/or the way people consume the product sport just changes.

Edited by TC3000, 21 April 2014 - 21:26.

#865 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,312 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:21

On a more general not, how would a change in "viewing habits" (for want of a better word) be reflected in these ratings?

What I mean specifically is how much of the "drop" in TV viewers can/could be attributed to the fact, that some people watch a stream in the Internet, rather then the race in TV?

Here in NED F1 is pay TV, and as I rather watch it with knowledgeable British commentary I watch it at the BBC or 'Nigerian internet'. So far there's only been 1 live BBC broadcast, so......

#866 Schumster

Schumster

• 206 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:26

What are the chances of F1 ending back on ITV/BBC/C4 in 2018? One half thinks there might be a chance with those channels have free money to spend/losing sports coverage already and the other thinks that there is no chance as Sky have put a lot of effort into Sky F1 + they've just lost significant rights to BT for the Football.

#867 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,045 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:26

On a more general not, how would a change in "viewing habits" (for want of a better word) be reflected in these ratings?

Are these numbers, and that is how I understand them, based on TV audience only, or do the include live streams as well?

There is a fair chance, that F1 and motorsport in general may loses followers, but on the other hand, it could be a case of a shift in "consumer sentiment" as in "how" to consume the sport.

To ascertain, if this is the case, one would perhaps need to take a broader view on "sport in TV" in general, if they "suffer" a similar faith, then F1 may don't "lose" followers, but TV is losing it's charm &/or the way people consume the product sport just changes.

Are there many opportunities to watch F1 legally online? I don't think 10-20% of the audience suddenly is watching a torrent or third party stream rather than on TV. For starters, why would they?

#868 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:36

Here in NED F1 is pay TV, and as I rather watch it with knowledgeable British commentary I watch it at the BBC or 'Nigerian internet'. So far there's only been 1 live BBC broadcast, so......

For me it's similar, it isn't shown F2A where I live now, and if I pay a subscription for cable/satellite TV (and I do, but for other reasons) I get it with a commentary, which I don't understand (not too well at least), so I watch it as a stream, or watch it in TV with the commentary of a Internet stream [ BBC, SKY UK etc.].

On the other hand, I have a quite good mobile data package (mainly for other reasons), and broadband coverage isn't too shabby here, so it's even more convenient to go down, to the beach (so my kids can play on a Sunday morning &/or afternoon), my wife can sunbath and I watch F1 on my tablet - everybody is happy.

I just think, that "classical TV" at home, will become less and less dominant in the next years, and wondered if some of the changes in TV viewing features are not just due to this, rather then people "turning away" from F1 or other sports.

Not saying, that F1 isn't losing fans, for one reason or another, is very well possible, but other things may go some way to explain the changes in TV audience as well.  

Edited by TC3000, 21 April 2014 - 22:43.

#869 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:39

Are there many opportunities to watch F1 legally online? I don't think 10-20% of the audience suddenly is watching a torrent or third party stream rather than on TV. For starters, why would they?

maybe for the same reason, that people download "free" music, videos, books and magazines from the Internet as well?

maybe because they can, maybe it's more convenient (see post above), maybe moral goes to the dogs - dunno, lot's of possible reasons. 

IMHO

#870 pdac

pdac

• 722 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:40

One suggestion as to the drop in UK viewers ...

The vast majority of viewers are watching via the BBC

The BBC have only been showing delayed highlights for most of the races so far

The BBC have not really been promoting their coverage in terms of advertising clips between peak programs

The BBC cannot seem to avoid giving the result away to their viewers before they show the race - unless you hide from the world completely for a few hours, you're going to find out that Mercedes did actually win as easily as they were suggesting beforehand and that might be a disincentive to watching.

I get the impression the BBC just want rid of F1. I don't remember them being this apathetic about their coverage in previous years.

#871 P123

P123

• 8,146 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:42

Leading F1 people repeatedly telling the world how shit F1 is probably hasn't helped.

That will be part of it- Ecclestone (the 'master promoter'...) and his Gerald Ratner moment. Also general apathy carried over from the latter half of 2013 and a lack of promotion of the sport in mainstream media. Only one race has been a real thriller too. At the moment it's buried on pay TV with only 1 live race on the BBC to date, so the sport is fishing in a small pool for casual viewers who won't be eager to watch something they've been told is terrible by the guy selling it.

#872 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,045 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:47

maybe for the same reason, that people download "free" music, videos, books and magazines from the Internet as well?

maybe because they can, maybe it's more convenient (see post above), maybe moral goes to the dogs - dunno, lot's of possible reasons. 

IMHO

I'll torrent a race if I'm not in the right time zone or somewhere with a crappy TV package. But not when I lived in the UK. 

I think the 'summer' season will be telling, now that we're back in the normal time window and will have some live BBC races. Plus a regular British winner by the looks of it.

#873 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,666 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:48

Younger people want to consume television on their terms (on demand) rather than on those of Cable providers. Providers are only really just now changing their content delivery/business models (i.e. House of Cards) in the face of pirating. The same goes for music. I don't doubt that the move to Sky has seen an increase in consumption of F1 via black market means. This doesn't explain the drop between seasons since that move, however.

#874 P123

P123

• 8,146 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:04

2013 F1 ratings - overnight figures (Sky figures for similar slot to BBC's)
Average - 4.11m (up 127k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.42m (up 209k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 685k (down 82k on 2012)

1st Half comparison
Average - 4.58m (up 460k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.81m (up 600k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 770k (down 85k on 2012)

2nd Half comparison

Average - 3.59m (down 300k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.00m (down 230k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 590k (down 69k on 2012)

Seems to confirm that we have apathy carrying over from the latter half of 2013- quite a swing from the first half of 2013.

How are the Sky figures fairing DMN? They have had exclusive live coverage of 3 of the 4 races so far. I also notice that China was live on the BBC last year, but not this year, which may go some way to explaining the difference (along with the continuing trend of  generally predictable races and the promoter promoting the sport as shit, etc).

#875 nicholasc

nicholasc

• 322 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:29

Younger people want to consume television on their terms (on demand) rather than on those of Cable providers. Providers are only really just now changing their content delivery/business models (i.e. House of Cards) in the face of pirating. The same goes for music. I don't doubt that the move to Sky has seen an increase in consumption of F1 via black market means. This doesn't explain the drop between seasons since that move, however.

With the increased availability of media (legal and not-so-legal) today's consumer has more choices too and this then allows consumers to be more relativistic in their choices.

Whereas in the past the choice might have been between F1 and a couple of other options, the choice now is between F1 and whatever-you-want.

I don't think the overall package that F1 offers has changed too much but the world is changing around it in ways that affect it's relative attractiveness.

Edited by nicholasc, 22 April 2014 - 01:31.

#876 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,666 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:28

No doubt that accounts for many more lost viewers, as I imagine only the relatively small proportion of enthusiasts would bother seeking an F1 illegal stream/torrent.

#877 OS X

OS X

• 195 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:10

I think there will also be a few people who have a situation like mine. I have Sky HD and Sky Sports and everything but I cannot justify monopolising the family room television to watch an event that I am not super-motivated to watch. I'd rather give up the main television to my other family members and listen on radio or avoid the race altogether and download a torrent later and connect a laptop into my bedroom TV.

#878 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,162 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 17:56

For the record, here is how the F1 has rated this year, race on race:

Australia - down 3%
Malaysia - down 17% (BBC live in 2014 vs highlights in 2013)
Bahrain - down 23% (BBC highlights on BBC Two due to race starting later this year)
China - down 21% (BBC live in 2013 vs highlights in 2014)
Spain - up 9%
Monaco - up 11%
Canada - up 1%