Photo

The official NASCAR Indianapolis weekend thread!

• Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 15:59

The Brickyard 400 is upon us. The Nationwide and Truck guys run at O'Reilly Motorsports Park, a 20-minute ride west of the Speedway, on Saturday and Friday night, respectively.

47 drivers are entered for 43 spots in the Cup race:

http://www.jayski.co...y2009-entry.htm

Max Papis will be trying to make it. I don't feel great about his chances but I hope he's in the field.

Tires should be fine, and the racing should be great. I'm hoping for great things from Montoya (surprise, surprise!)

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 17:08

Go Gordon, go Montoya!

#3 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 17:17

Is there a difference between the same make engines? The engine in the back of Jimmy Johnsons car, seems to have more GRUNT than Montoya's, or is it my imagination?

#4 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 17:22

Nice livery for JPM this weekend, harking back to his 2000 Indy 500 win.

Edited by Knowlesy, 22 July 2009 - 17:23.

#5 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 18:28

JPM first win on an oval, NASCAR style! Go JPM!

#6 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 20:13

Along with baseball and other scores, yesterday ESPN was running on its bottom line news ticker that 'last year's tire issues have been solved for this weekend's Brickyard 400.....'

#7 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 21:14

Along with baseball and other scores, yesterday ESPN was running on its bottom line news ticker that 'last year's tire issues have been solved for this weekend's Brickyard 400.....'

Jeff Gordon said he was willing to "guarantee" to the fans that the tyre issues are resolved after participating in a test a few weeks ago.

I believe him.

#8 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 21:17

Is there a difference between the same make engines? The engine in the back of Jimmy Johnsons car, seems to have more GRUNT than Montoya's, or is it my imagination?

Yes, Hendrick's engine department is separate from the Childress/EGR engine alliance.

Many teams lease engines or have alliances. For example Stewart-Haas uses Hendrick engines and they have an overall technical alliance.

Of the Toyota teams, all but Gibbs use the engines straight from TRD. Gibbs does their own assembly.

In the Ford world I'm not sure--did Rousch and Yates join forces?

The Dodge boys just came out with a new engine. Not sure which teams have upgraded to it.

#9 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 21:24

Nice livery for JPM this weekend, harking back to his 2000 Indy 500 win.

Any pics? I don't see any on jayski.
http://www.jayski.co.../2009/42cup.htm

#10 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 17:05

In the Ford world I'm not sure--did Rousch and Yates join forces?

The Dodge boys just came out with a new engine. Not sure which teams have upgraded to it.

pretty sure the ford deal is that yates builds the engines for both teams, and rousch is building the cars.

the dodge teams have been slowly switching to the new engine - kasey has been running it for Gem most all year, sadler is suppose to start running it this week i think.... while @ penske kurt busch was the first to start running it,now i think they are all switched over... dodge is the only make that doesn't have all the teams under one tech roof for engines, etc. hopefully that'll be the first thing that changes when fiat gets their hands in that cookie dough.

tires won't be a problem, but the weather is still threatening to become one. - not much distance between chicago-land and indy so we share the same weather, and it's set to rain all weekend. - suppose to be going to the zoo on sat too.

#11 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 17:06

Any pics? I don't see any on jayski.
http://www.jayski.co.../2009/42cup.htm

i just clicked your link and they have the pic up now - posted yesterday.

#12 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 20:45

i just clicked your link and they have the pic up now - posted yesterday.

So there is. Thanks for the update!

dodge is the only make that doesn't have all the teams under one tech roof for engines, etc. hopefully that'll be the first thing that changes when fiat gets their hands in that cookie dough.

Nope--Toyota--TRD provides engines for everybody except Gibbs, who do their own
Chevy--EGR/Childress alliance are one engine shop, Hendrick have their own separate shop as well.

If anything Ford might be the sole many that DOES have everything consolidated--have the Wood Bros' consolidated engine tech with Yates or whomever?

#13 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 20:53

Based on the very discernable improvement of Kurt Busch this year I'd imagine the other Dodges would be fighting for the new piece.

#14 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:27

Based on the very discernable improvement of Kurt Busch this year I'd imagine the other Dodges would be fighting for the new piece.

He was doing better before he got the engine. I remember picking him for my fantasy team early.

#15 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:42

Nope--Toyota--TRD provides engines for everybody except Gibbs, who do their own
Chevy--EGR/Childress alliance are one engine shop, Hendrick have their own separate shop as well.

If anything Ford might be the sole many that DOES have everything consolidated--have the Wood Bros' consolidated engine tech with Yates or whomever?

gibbs is still using TRD's engines, they just add their own improvements that toyota doesn't have - yet.... and while there are two builders in chevy, each one is hosting enough in satellite teams to each have the same number cars as the other manu's have total......dodge doesn't even have two teams working together.

and last i knew woods are a satellite of yates.

#16 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:25

Moments of the Brickyard 400:

Brett Bodine puts his brother Geoff in the wall:

Jeff Gordon wins the Brickyard:

The race Dale Earnhardt was relieved:

Dale Jarrett runs out of fuel: <---watch how long it took him to coast to the pits and make his stop.

#17 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 17:43

Why is it so hard to find the power ranking page at Nascar.com?

#18 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 19:07

Silly Season Starting Early
Ganassi to Gibbs

I also heard that Tony Stewart may be looking at Montoya for his 3rd car.

#19 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 19:17

I may have started that rumor ..

from the NASCAR thread..

Staying with chip would be the better option. He (Montoya) is the #1 driver and has full trust and support from all the people around him. RCR appears to be on the way down. What they should do (EGR) is try to get a deal going with Gibbs for technical support and engines same as Stewart with Hendrick.

Advertisement

#20 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 20:42

Here it is..
Posted Image

#21 gwk

gwk

• 107 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 20:53

Errm, in NASCAR, the engines are in the front...

#22 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 21:36

Montoya 2nd fastest in both opening practices!

http://www.jayski.co...ndy2009prac.htm

#23 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 21:39

Juan Montoya is doing a Michael Schumacher in NASCAR - ala 96 97 98 99 - looking forward to JPM's 00...

#24 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 21:42

Juan Montoya is doing a Michael Schumacher in NASCAR - ala 96 97 98 99 - looking forward to JPM's 00...

Not too late for this year!

#25 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 21:54

Montoya 2nd fastest in both opening practices!

http://www.jayski.co...ndy2009prac.htm

Looks good. The bad news is his toughest competitors for Chase spots are doing well, too :)

#26 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 22:30

Silly Season Starting Early
Ganassi to Gibbs

I also heard that Tony Stewart may be looking at Montoya for his 3rd car.

I really like that rumour, rumour had it last year the Gibbs family wanted Montoya.

JGR seems like a natural home for Montoya, I hope this happens.

Meanwhile from twitter

jpmontoya: had a really good practice the car felt pretty good will see what happens tomorrow, follow me on trackside tonight on speed at 640pm!!!

#27 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 22:56

JPM on Trackside said when he was young he used to wake up every Sunday morning for the F1 Race, he wouldnt miss a race and he was a big fan of Senna.

#28 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 22:59

I'm watching him on Trackside and the guys are really asking him a lot about his career outside of NASCAR. If anything, Montoya is the one who brings it back around to NASCAR...he talks about his Indy 500 win...Larry asks about how Monty was taking the piss on the radio during the race pretending there was a problem with the car!

They ask about how he was a fan of Ayrton Senna and what does he think of motorsport fans worldwide...he talks mostly about how much fun NASCAR is.

They even mentioned "Hey, and in NASCAR, we eat doughnuts....we don't have to hide them!" ("Good one!" replies Montoya).

I will admit this, and you Montoya detractors, pat attention! He DOES have a chip on his shoulder about F1.

#29 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 23:13

Its not his fault everyone asks him about F1

#30 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 23:55

truck series startng... now their running the back story for ricky charmicale <sp?> - hope he does well in the series and gets to go up. - loved him on the bikes, and he started way at the bottom to get the car's figured out. - good luck G.O.A.T.

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 00:15

Its not his fault everyone asks him about F1

Look at my avatar. I pull for Montoya as hard as anybody. But when he was asked the question about what are fans like around the world, he mentioned the access they have in NASCAR to mix and mingle and get close to the cars. Then he compared to F1 (note F1 was not part of the question) and said "there's the inside and the outside. Fans can't come to the infield, and the grid, OMG, forget about it. For example, in six years, my wife was allowed to come to the grid ONCE."

Now, everything he says is true and valid, but he brought it up. I think it's COOOO COOOL to see Montoya and Jeff Gordon holding their kids right before they get in the cars, pointing to the planes flying over or whatever. Drivers like Kevin Harvick kissing their wives before getting in the car, etc. It's just a nice feeling from a nice sight, and meanwhile on F1 grids it's considered excusable for a driver to assault a photographer who gets too close to his kit (I'm talking about Kimi shoving the guy to the ground last year).

I agree with almost everything Montoya says about F1. But he does kind of have an obsession about it. Sure, maybe understandably so.

that said, the Trucks are out on the track and rolling behind the pace car! Go Kyle Busch, who is starting 8th and does not think he has the truck to win.

#32 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 00:19

His father raced with Senna in go karts .. no wonder JPM was a hardcore Senna fan and cheered for him in F1.

What about the mystery man interview..?
He literally said "that interview was all about trying to see if I was an asshole or not?".....

Good advice to Danica
"Don't expect to much when you start"

#33 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 00:28

OLB.. this was the question.. (IT WAS A COMPARISON QUESTION)

"A minute ago you talk about being a fan of Senna and you raced all over the world - you've have the opportunity to see different motorsports fans from different parts of the world and racing, how are the motorsports fans here in America ? - how - are they different than fans around the world and how are they similar.. "

Montoya: .."I don't want to say NASCAR is great because I am here.. I think NASCAR is great because people can be part of the sport.. ".... then he goes and compares it to what his experience was being a fan in the rest of world and gave the example of the his wife not being able to go to the grid..

the only fans he can relate to outside of America is when he was in F1..

Edited by BMW_F1, 25 July 2009 - 00:31.

#34 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:58

OLB.. this was the question.. (IT WAS A COMPARISON QUESTION)

"A minute ago you talk about being a fan of Senna and you raced all over the world - you've have the opportunity to see different motorsports fans from different parts of the world and racing, how are the motorsports fans here in America ? - how - are they different than fans around the world and how are they similar.. "

Montoya: .."I don't want to say NASCAR is great because I am here.. I think NASCAR is great because people can be part of the sport.. ".... then he goes and compares it to what his experience was being a fan in the rest of world and gave the example of the his wife not being able to go to the grid..

the only fans he can relate to outside of America is when he was in F1..

I liked CART for the accessibility when it was up and running.
When CART ran at Laguna Seca, that race was so kicked back you almost hang with the drivers at their motorhomes, Tracy would be hanging with buds, that all ran Ron Simms Bikes and do the run down US1 through Monterey after the race on Monday. Vasser freakin' knew us by name after 4 or 5 years there. Met Papis the first year he ran CART standing out in the weeds watching the Atlantics, he was just checking the lines used since it was his first time on the course.
Some races really have the old feel of club race, and fans have the access to drivers that are that situ. Montoya, being a family man, obviously missed that when he went to F1.

#35 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:29

Why is it so hard to find the power ranking page at Nascar.com?

http://www.nascar.co...ings/index.html

http://msn.foxsports...r/powerRankings

#36 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 14:39

So raining now at Indy, bummer. Guess I'll go knock out some mowing.

#37 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 14:46

Yeah. Interesting that they have FOUR practices scheduled, two pre and two post qualifying. They're being extra careful about the tyres.

#38 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 14:49

Yeah. Interesting that they have FOUR practices scheduled, two pre and two post qualifying. They're being extra careful about the tyres.

Hey, BTW, when is the nationwide race? I thought is was tonight but can;t find it in the TV listings.

#39 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 14:52

Hey, BTW, when is the nationwide race? I thought is was tonight but can;t find it in the TV listings.

7:30 pm on ESPN

http://www.nascar.com/races/tune_in/

Advertisement

#40 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:03

7:30 pm on ESPN

http://www.nascar.com/races/tune_in/

Okay, Comcast TV listings just suck, they list it as qualifying. That's what confused me.

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:05

is it still raining?
I heard they were trying for 11:30 to start quals.

Jp

#42 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:09

is it still raining?
I heard they were trying for 11:30 to start quals.

Jp

Looks like it stoppped raining and is drying. ESPN just said they aren't even running the jets, so they must be sure its getting ready to be okay.

#43 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:10

Thanks tifosi
Jp

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:13

Just seen video of the speedway.
It's soaked

Jp

#45 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:13

Looking at live pics now, I still see much standing water. Tonight's Nationwide race is only 10 miles from the speedway, so hopefully it will be dry by then.

#46 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 18:06

Just realized ESPN is doing the broadcasting this weekend. SpeedTV has F1 qualifying now.. ?

#47 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 18:17

You go Mark!

#48 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 18:18

Is O'Reilly Raceway Park what used to be called Indianapolis Raceway Park? or is this anothervtrack??

#49 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 18:28

Dang thye stands look liek we're at an IRL race.

Interesting becaus eyesterday CNBC had a report on ISC and said attendance at NASCAR events was down 30%.

#50 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 19:14

HaHa, Idiots on SPPEEDTV saying qualifying at Indy has been canbcelled so welcome to the encore presentation of F1 qualifying.

Uhmmmmmm I'm watching SPrint Cup qualifying right now!