• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mountford

mountford

• 430 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 16:33

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/77147

Williams in teamwear dispute

The Williams team has found itself in a minor legal dispute ahead of this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, after it has emerged a local company won the exclusive rights to use the same name for any clothing items in the country.

A family firm called "Williams", based in Vecses, a small city located to the south of Budapest, has acquired the rights through a ruling by a local court, thanks to the fact that it has registered its trademark before Hungary has joined the European Union back in 2004.

The court decision means the Williams team is not allowed to distribute its official merchandise in the country.

The Hungarian Customs and Finance Guard (VPOP) have already banned all local shops from selling any clothing items related to the Grove-based squad, and some reports suggested it would even try to impound the clothing worn by the team crew during the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.

A spokesman to the team admitted Williams were aware of the situation, but thought they were not making any legal offences by wearing their usual uniforms themselves.

"We are aware of a judgement reached in the courts in 2008, a judgement we did not contest," he said. "As a consequence of this judgement, we are not distributing or selling Williams merchandise in Hungary."

"However, employees of the Williams team will be wearing their usual uniform in the pursuit of their professional duties at the Hungaroring this weekend. Team uniform is supplied to employees with no charge, there is thus no financial transaction in the provision of clothing to team members and thus no loss of commercial advantage for any third parties."

According to reports in the local press, Williams has tried to resolve the issue before by offering some financial compensation to the Hungarian company so they could still distribute their official products, but their offer has been rejected.

The owner of the Williams company in Vecses, Vilmos Kortye said the agent was not able to prove it was representing the team.

He also added he was the first to register the "Williams" trademark in Hungary as long ago as 1996, and soon got into a legal dispute with the team, which tried to contest the registration twice. Kortye stated the team has never participated in any court hearings during the last twelve years.

:well:

Can't Sir Frank just tell them to stop being so shirty? :rotfl:

Sorry. :blush:

Advertisement

#2 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 16:44

Sorry. :blush:

So you should be! The last time I had any dealings with the team I was told that the new logo - WILLIAMSF1 - was used to avoid any confrontation with other Williams'. That was in 2000, perhaps it was an insufficient change...

#3 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 18:32

Another good reason to stop going to Hungary.

#4 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 18:37

The other company call themselves AT&T Williams as well now? :eek:

#5 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 19:07

Another good reason to stop going to Hungary.

Don't say that! :well:

Needless to say what the Hungarians think about that dumb company. ;)

#6 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 20:14

whew..good thing they canceled the Canadian GP...

Posted Image

#7 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 20:45

The world is going crazy and I keep saying this long before today. One day some smart bloke in some court will manage to register the human names and the parents of every new-born baby would have to pay licensing fees for a name.

#8 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 21:33

You've got to be f@cking kidding me here?!! This is dumb.

Edited by Ivan, 23 July 2009 - 21:34.

#9 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 22:06

Go commando Williams(F1)!

It could be a problem for the drivers and some pit crew tough.

#10 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:14

The world is going crazy and I keep saying this long before today. One day some smart bloke in some court will manage to register the human names and the parents of every new-born baby would have to pay licensing fees for a name.

shhh, don't give Bernie ideas

#11 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:14

And this sick courts agree with the sick ideas most of the time. Hmm I am amazed Serena and Venus Williams haven't been involved in all of this....

#12 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:30

Meh, if this story is true, it demonstrates just how racist most court systems are. Certainly the French, Spanish, German, Italian and Texan ones are.

#13 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:56

Meh, if this story is true, it demonstrates just how racist most court systems are. Certainly the French, Spanish, German, Italian and Texan ones are.

[michael caine accent]

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

[/michael caine accent]

:lol:

#14 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 22:00

[michael caine accent]

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

[/michael caine accent]

Posted Image

#15 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 22:06

[michael caine accent]

[/michael caine accent]

:confused:

#16 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:41

Serves them right. The company owns the trademark. No getting around that with whining. Frank Williams probably offered the guy $5 and a pack of gum in exchange for the rights and was surprised to be turned down.

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,990 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:21

Serves them right. The company owns the trademark.

Thing is, in most civilized legal systems, you cannot trademark-squat. Which is what is happening here.