Photo

The Tourist Trophy Garage at the 2009 Goodwood Revival!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:05

I'm really thrilled to say that this year's Goodwood Revival (18th-20th September) will feature the now traditional and popular period garage feature made out as an approximate representation of the original wooden 1935 Tourist Trophy Garage that was located in Hale Road, within sight of the later and more famous one in East Street, Farnham. Leslie Hawthorn had named it the Tourist Trophy Garage when he first opened it, trading on his friend and business partner Paddy Johnston’s record of success in the TT motorcycle races.

Some of us involved with the JMH Tribute Site and the recent book have been and are working closely with Goodwood staff to ensure that the final result is what everyone would expect from a Goodwood period set!

This is being prepared as a subtle way of acknowledging the 50 years since the passing of Mike Hawthorn. Mike obviously had an illustrious and formidable racing career here at Goodwood and they were keen to commemorate that and came up with this idea.

As well as being set up internally with period spares, signs, photos and so on, there will be up to two cars on the inside, probably undergoing some 'maintenance', featuring at least one of Mike's original Rileys, plus approximately eight cars outside for visitors to look at that have some relation to Mike or the garage over its years. We should have at least four original cars that Mike physically owned.

We'll also have various people there that worked at the garage in East Street between 1950 and 1967 (some with Leslie and/or Mike) and they will be pleased to talk to visitors about the garage and their memories. All members of TNF are especially welcome of course and I'll hopefully be there a fair amount of the time over the three days.

The set is located on the outside of the circuit track itself near to the funfair and traders area (behind the chicane/grandstand).

More to follow soon - below is the garage set from last year, plus a very young Mike with his father Leslie at the original wooden TT Garage in Hale Road, Farnham, and scenes from the later East Street garage workshop.

Posted Image

I'll update this as and when more info is available. We are still open to (sensible :wave: ) suggestions for the set if anyone has ideas. Set building starts in a few weeks time.

Edited by tonyb, 05 August 2009 - 14:51.

Advertisement

#2 ribaldi

ribaldi

• 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 18:46

tony - my grandfather worked at the TT described here around 1934 for a while. If this is of interest to you, there were some photos years
ago but dont know if they are still around

#3 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:19

tony - my grandfather worked at the TT described here around 1934 for a while. If this is of interest to you, there were some photos years
ago but dont know if they are still around

Thanks! I've sent you a PM ....

#4 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 20:53

The cars look like being Mike's original Riley Ulster Imp and his original Riley Sprite chassis, an original sister-car to Mike's Mk1 Cooper-Bristol, a Lancia Aprilia, two Jaguar D-types from 1955/56, his own original Lancia Aurelia B20, a Ferrari 250 GT Coupe (sold from the TT Garage in 1958), an accurate recreation of Mike's favourite Jaguar Mk 1 saloon that he also raced and a replica of a 1959 Ferrari Dino, representing the nearest available car to that Mike drove in 1958 to the World Championship - all this with traditional walk round/close up Goodwood access.

Addenda: please note that there was no budget for getting cars there (other than that available from the few of us involved and car owners' own pockets) hence there may be better cars but not the money to do anything about it. I believe entrants for the racing are also having to pay entrance fees for the Revival for the first time ever this year which hasn't helped much. Also, seven of the cars are out in the open for the three days which was not an option for some potential owners' vehicles.

Edited by tonyb, 18 August 2009 - 09:30.