Knees out Mother Brown!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 22:00

Hi all,
I have heard it said that Yano Saarinen pioneered the knee out, three point riding style. Given his background in ice racing this seems quite credible and that was the way he rode.
My question is did he have something in the way off a slider on his leathers or did his knee not actually make contact?
I also wonder if anyone has any shots of Kim Newcombe or other Konig riders. I have quite a number and will post some if there is any interest and if I can figure out how to do so.
I spoke to Peter Williams about Kim's accident at Silverstone and he seemed to think it was in a practice session. It was a long time ago but every other source tells me it was a race. Does anyone have any information that has not been published. If it has I probably know it.
One strange thing - reading the MCN covering the event there is no mention of the crash or of Kim even being there. There is a report that he is coming prior to the race and a report of his death in a subsequent issue. They even identify some bloke who fell off and bent his bike as the unluckiest man at the meeting!!!! Was this SOP?
Tim Hanna

Advertisement

#2 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 22:20

Hi Tim , I can tell you it sure was a practice session when poor Kim had his accident . I arrived as practice finished , and it was strange to walk through the paddock and see Kims van , caravan etc . deserted :cry: :cry:

#3 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 23:09

Here the link to the Motorsport Memorial entry about Kim Newcombe - the sources of the info are listed at the end
http://motorsportmem...hp?db=ms&n=1443
The accident date is given as August 11th , which was on the saturday . However it is written that the accident took place "on the 6th lap of the FIM 750 race" which doesn't make sense since the König, even in 680cc guise , was not eligible for the F750 rules .

Vincen't Glon's usually reliable site also mentions an accident date on the 11th , but writes that it happened "during the 1000 cc race" . The "British Grand Prix" meeting that year featured races in 125 (winner Steve Machin) , 250 (winner Tony Rutter) , 350 (winner John Dodds) , 500 (winner Phil Read) , F750 European Championship ( 2 legs, both won by Paul Smart on a 750 Suzuki ) and a 1000cc race , also won by Smart . So it would make sense that Newcombe was riding in the "open" 1000cc class with the 680 König .

Now how does that fit in with fil2.8's first-hand memories that it took place "in practice" ? What I think may have happened is that this 1000cc race could have been run on the Saturday - which would fit in with fil2.8 arriving "as practice finished", meaning maybe "on the saturday evening" ? fil ?

What both sources agree on, however, is that the accident took place at Stowe and that Kim passed away on the 14th in the Northampton hospital.

#4 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:54

Hi all,
I have heard it said that Yano Saarinen pioneered the knee out, three point riding style. Given his background in ice racing this seems quite credible and that was the way he rode.
My question is did he have something in the way off a slider on his leathers or did his knee not actually make contact?
I also wonder if anyone has any shots of Kim Newcombe or other Konig riders. I have quite a number and will post some if there is any interest and if I can figure out how to do so.
I spoke to Peter Williams about Kim's accident at Silverstone and he seemed to think it was in a practice session. It was a long time ago but every other source tells me it was a race. Does anyone have any information that has not been published. If it has I probably know it.
One strange thing - reading the MCN covering the event there is no mention of the crash or of Kim even being there. There is a report that he is coming prior to the race and a report of his death in a subsequent issue. They even identify some bloke who fell off and bent his bike as the unluckiest man at the meeting!!!! Was this SOP?
Tim Hanna

Hi Tim

As I mentioned in an earlier post I saw Jerry Lancaster at Chimay, he was a friend of Kim Newcombe and also rode Konig, I spoke to him at Chimay and he is happy to help you with anything he can, I will be seeing him tonight at a party and can get his details for you if you wish?

Regards Mick

#5 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:10

Now how does that fit in with fil2.8's first-hand memories that it took place "in practice" ? What I think may have happened is that this 1000cc race could have been run on the Saturday - which would fit in with fil2.8 arriving "as practice finished", meaning maybe "on the saturday evening" ? fil ?

What both sources agree on, however, is that the accident took place at Stowe and that Kim passed away on the 14th in the Northampton hospital.

Right guys , i've now done what I should have in the first place :rolleyes: ---yes , dug out the prog . :o :o
Practice and 3 races on Saturday 11 Aug 1973
Race 1 16.00 , Ultra-Lightweight 125 race 8 laps
1st Steve Machin 2nd and 3rd don't know 4th Leigh Notman 5th Ken Daniels 6th our member Pete Howarth

Race 2 16.30 , Allcomers Race ---solos over 100cc and under 1000cc 15 laps
!st Paul Smart 2nd Peter Williams 3rd Stan Woods 4th Mick Grant 5th Dave Croxford 6th Alan Barnett
( Kim entered on a Konig 680 )
Race 3 5.15 , Sidecar Race
1st Gerry Boret 2nd Chris Vincent 3rd Pete Hardy 4th Klaus Enders 5th Rob Williamson 6th Bill Crook

So I apologize for my earlier statement , the old memory playing tricks ( again ) :blush: :o I think i've even put a few pics up :o :o :lol: :lol:

#6 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:57

Hi all,
Tim Hanna

I think the extreme knee out style was pioneered a lot earlier by such guys as Renzo Pasolini, Paul Smart, Billie Nelson etc. Jarno's riding style was more than that, he always was well tucked in even in corners, using clip ons with a very sharp angle which provoked this style. Jarno was a ice racer in his early years, not a ice speedway racer. They didn't slide on the ground with their knees on that rather conventional looking bikes neither was a knee out style praticed or sensible. In his road racing career, I don't think that he ever touched the tarmac with his knees intentionally, that riding style doesn't neccessarily mean a faster cornering speed IMHO, at least with the contemporary slender tyres . The first one in Europe with the knee on the ground was Kenny Roberts in Assen in '74 I assume.

#7 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 17:27

The earliest I remember was a pic of Paul Smart with his knee down, Brands or possibly Crystal Palace in the days when he wore an open faced helmet.

Renn, didn't Pasolini had the opposite style, to sit more upright whilst pushing the bike down?

Edited by exclubracer, 25 July 2009 - 18:43.

#8 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:49

Renn, didn't Pasolini had the opposite style, to sit more upright whilst pushing the bike down?

Posted Image

nearly touching the ground, as early as '67...

Yes I know pics of him pushing the bike down, but these are mainly from his Benelli period. How much does a bike influence your riding style ? Nice topic for the real experts...
Anyway, a riding style might change during the years. If you compare SMBH's style during the '60 to his style in 78/79 with neatly tucked in knees, it's quite different IMHO, probably caused by his injuries received in F1 racing ?

Edited by Rennmax, 26 July 2009 - 06:53.

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:29

Posted Image

nearly touching the ground, as early as '67...

Yes I know pics of him pushing the bike down, but these are mainly from his Benelli period. How much does a bike influence your riding style ? Nice topic for the real experts...
Anyway, a riding style might change during the years. If you compare SMBH's style during the '60 to his style in 78/79 with neatly tucked in knees, it's quite different IMHO, probably caused by his injuries received in F1 racing ?

Didn't Paso's technique change from corner to corner.... :wave: The knee out and the slightly later variant, knee(s)out and bum at least partly out of the saddle too, was common from the sixties, at least in Britain. If you look at shots from the earlyish sixties, Hailwood hung his knee out, whereas just about all other quick blokes, the likes of Minter, Sheperd, Duff, Hartle, were knees in..... so, I think Mike was probably responsible. LutonBoy was also a leg dangler, but I feel- on no evidence other than my fast fading memory - that Readie did this afterwards. By the mid sixties almost everyone was doing it, with John Cooper, Paul Smart ,Billie Nelson, and I'm sure others, developing more extreme versions of the style. I agree with Renn on Sarrinen: he didn't deliberatly use his knee to support the bike - no idea who first started this though.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 26 July 2009 - 09:44.

#10 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:07

Didn't Paso's technique change from corner to corner.... :wave:

:D

#11 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:46

Hi Russ, do you have any explanation why Hailwood applied the much more smoother "knee in" style in his later days ?

#12 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:11

Hi Russ, do you have any explanation why Hailwood applied the much more smoother "knee in" style in his later days ?

Hi Renn, I dont, but it's fun to hypothesise : as you have said, he was badly injured around the legs in an F1 crash........ I wonder also, in the case of the Ducati at least, if it was something to do with him riding a bike that he felt lacked the grunt of the opposition, and either consciously or not, he tucked himself in to compensate? Or, perhaps he just wasn't trying as hard !!! Did he appear to keep the legs in less on the GP two strokes? The riding position of the Ducati, relative to the proper racers may also be connected - theories about keeping the weight further forward being seen as less important for the big twin, or perhaps they had yet to be developed?

#13 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:37

Posted Image

Hailwood on the 250 Yam, a much different bike compared with the Duc but same style :up:

#14 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 00:16

Hi Mick,
It would be brilliant if I could contact Jerry. Hope I haven't missed the party and that if I have you can still speak with him and that you all had a grand time.
I would like to communicate with anyone who can shed light on the short life of Konig GP bikes and sidecars.
I was told that while walking through part of the Konig factory one of the mechanics kept hearing a pinging sound. It turned out to be pressed up crankshafts cracking around the pins.
Kim used Hoeckle units that were pretty good but I have heard many stories of Konig customers experiencing endless blowups from broken cranks. Konig must have known the cranks were crap but they sold them anyway.
Motorsport always was a tough game but you can't help wondering how far the factory might have gone with a bit more reliability.
The book is coming along, occupying most waking moments and some of the others as well, and its wonderful to be in contact with other
fans of tbis wonderful period in racing.
So thanks again
Tim

#15 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 00:49

Hi Renn, I dont, but it's fun to hypothesise : as you have said, he was badly injured around the legs in an F1 crash........ I wonder also, in the case of the Ducati at least, if it was something to do with him riding a bike that he felt lacked the grunt of the opposition, and either consciously or not, he tucked himself in to compensate? Or, perhaps he just wasn't trying as hard !!! Did he appear to keep the legs in less on the GP two strokes? The riding position of the Ducati, relative to the proper racers may also be connected - theories about keeping the weight further forward being seen as less important for the big twin, or perhaps they had yet to be developed?

Hi,
I'm sure the particular bike has everything to do with it.
Hugh Anderson tried hanging off a Ducati 900 practicing for a historic meeting at Pukekohe and ended up in the wall - perhaps the worst pile up he ever had. Riders on the Britten found the tank so wide that shifting weight was very difficult, even for a lanky chap like Andrew Stroud. Going back to Konigs - and I'm afraid right now I always will - it seems they are still regarded by those who have them and still race them as having a riding position that is very comfortable for shifting around on, even though the tank is massive. Probably a combination of the engine being so compact and low and Kim Newcombe being so long.
I take the points made about Jarno. I could never see a stopper on his leathers and thought it unlikey he actually put a knee on the deck.
Tim

#16 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:08

[quote name='fil2.8' post='3760064' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:10'][quote name='philippe7' date='Jul 25 2009, 00:09' post='3758987'

Right guys , i've now done what I should have in the first place :rolleyes: ---yes , dug out the prog . :o :o
Practice and 3 races on Saturday 11 Aug 1973
Race 1 16.00 , Ultra-Lightweight 125 race 8 laps
1st Steve Machin 2nd and 3rd don't know 4th Leigh Notman 5th Ken Daniels 6th our member Pete Howarth

Race 2 16.30 , Allcomers Race ---solos over 100cc and under 1000cc 15 laps
!st Paul Smart 2nd Peter Williams 3rd Stan Woods 4th Mick Grant 5th Dave Croxford 6th Alan Barnett
( Kim entered on a Konig 680 )
Race 3 5.15 , Sidecar Race
1st Gerry Boret 2nd Chris Vincent 3rd Pete Hardy 4th Klaus Enders 5th Rob Williamson 6th Bill Crook

So I apologize for my earlier statement , the old memory playing tricks ( again ) :blush: :o I think i've even put a few pics up :o :o :lol: :lol:[/quote]

You beauty!
That's exactly what I needed to know.
Apparently Kim had broken the crank on the 5oo (which didn't happen to him all that often as opposed to other Konig riders) and therefore decided to race the 680, which was a far harder thing to peddle fast and I'm told not a machine he particulalrly liked.
I believe its true that the 680 would not have been eligible for the 750 race.
I think Roy Baldwin built up a 680 from a kit for Gerry Lancaster who found it difficult to find races for it. I believe he was also sidelined with injuries for a while after the bike was finished and did not race it till late in 73. It would be good to know that story. I wonder where the bike is?
I have film of Kim riding in that last race, taken at the exit from Stowe - you see him come passed in the lead for a few laps and then he comes through in maybe third, already off the treack peddling along to stay upright. If only he'd simply fallen off. When he hit the wall it was not that hard but there were no strawbales. He'd argued about that point with race officials the day before to no avail. After the crash they put straw in front of it and another rider hit in almost identical circumstances without injury.
Janeen always maintained that when Kim tried to get support from other riders he was told to get lost. I guess he was used to a different level of cooperation from the GP crowd.
Anyway thanks for quoting the program. Now we know.
Tim

#17 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:55

Hi,
I'm sure the particular bike has everything to do with it.
Hugh Anderson tried hanging off a Ducati 900 practicing for a historic meeting at Pukekohe and ended up in the wall - perhaps the worst pile up he ever had. ................
Tim

On the other hand, Paul Smart rode the big Ducati with his "let it all hang out" style with remarkable success, so I wonder if the specific geometrics of the bike is the answer :confused:

#18 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 17:36

Hi Mick,
It would be brilliant if I could contact Jerry. Hope I haven't missed the party and that if I have you can still speak with him and that you all had a grand time.
I would like to communicate with anyone who can shed light on the short life of Konig GP bikes and sidecars.
I was told that while walking through part of the Konig factory one of the mechanics kept hearing a pinging sound. It turned out to be pressed up crankshafts cracking around the pins.
Kim used Hoeckle units that were pretty good but I have heard many stories of Konig customers experiencing endless blowups from broken cranks. Konig must have known the cranks were crap but they sold them anyway.
Motorsport always was a tough game but you can't help wondering how far the factory might have gone with a bit more reliability.
The book is coming along, occupying most waking moments and some of the others as well, and its wonderful to be in contact with other
fans of tbis wonderful period in racing.
So thanks again
Tim

Tim,I,m sure that Hans' original cranks were Durkopp,and that he preferred them.But they were different to the others and spares became unavailable.As you know this bike is one of the originals built by Kim.Try to contact Noud van der Aa (possibly through Hans)he still races a Konig outfit as he is a walking encyclopaedia of things Konig.If you've lost Hans address PM me.
Regards HW

Edited by Herr Wankel, 27 July 2009 - 17:38.

#19 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 20:02

Didn't Paso's technique change from corner to corner.... :wave: The knee out and the slightly later variant, knee(s)out and bum at least partly out of the saddle too, was common from the sixties, at least in Britain. If you look at shots from the earlyish sixties, Hailwood hung his knee out, whereas just about all other quick blokes, the likes of Minter, Sheperd, Duff, Hartle, were knees in..... so, I think Mike was probably responsible. LutonBoy was also a leg dangler, but I feel- on no evidence other than my fast fading memory - that Readie did this afterwards. By the mid sixties almost everyone was doing it, with John Cooper, Paul Smart ,Billie Nelson, and I'm sure others, developing more extreme versions of the style. I agree with Renn on Sarrinen: he didn't deliberatly use his knee to support the bike - no idea who first started this though.

But you then had the exaggerated style of Brian Ball and Ray Watmore ---amongst others

Advertisement

#20 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:41

On the other hand, Paul Smart rode the big Ducati with his "let it all hang out" style with remarkable success, so I wonder if the specific geometrics of the bike is the answer :confused:

In the sixties, some riders did it and others didn't, yet the bikes were almost identical....... :eek: I thinks it's largely what's going on in the head..... If I recal correctly, very late in his career, Jim Redman started to ride with knees all over the place when aborad the the 500 four....perhaps because Hailwood did ?

#21 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 20:54

Yoshimi Katayama @ Suzuki 125 @ TT Assen 1967. :love:

Posted Image

#22 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:05

Posted Image

The earliest pic of some knee action I can find so far: a tucked in Alan Sheperd chasing knee dangler, Hugh Anderson, 1962.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 30 July 2009 - 13:30.

#23 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:45

Regarding Hugh Anderson, I have to agree Russ. He is probably also my earliest memory of a knee out style.

Posted Image

I was just paging through a few old mags when I spotted this pic. Sure looks painful. :eek:
No wonder proper knee sliders were introduced.

Posted Image

#24 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 19:52

Nello Pagani, TT Assen 1949.

Posted Image

#25 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:42

Racing on cobblestones :eek: Great pic !

#26 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 16:58

Regarding Hugh Anderson, I have to agree Russ. He is probably also my earliest memory of a knee out style.

Posted Image

I was just paging through a few old mags when I spotted this pic. Sure looks painful. :eek:
No wonder proper knee sliders were introduced.

Posted Image

There was blood all over my leg when I got to the chinese on a ride out with my mates before knee sliders (don't own any and I prefer to keep duct tape on the shelves :lol: ) it was kinda masochistic pleasure if you know what I mean. The dried blood around the hole in the jeans was 'well 'ard' back then. We used to take it in turns to ride past the pub trying to do it in the 70s :rotfl: Until a kid bust his leg hitting a lamp post. It seemed funny at the time. :rolleyes:

David

#27 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:11

Knees, knees ..... :rolleyes: Easy, that is...introducing the man for whom Elbow sliders should have been invented ! :smoking:

Posted Image

Picture courtesy of Manfred Mothes and his brilliant website http://www.highsider.com/index.htm

#28 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:24

...and it's not just a one-off lucky pictures....that was Jean-Philippe's style all the time..... :love:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:20

To quote the Bemsee club magazine from 1959 regarding Bob McIntyre's performance at the Silverstone Hutchinson 100:

Watching the “Wizard of the Circuits” (meaning Bob Mac) at Copse, we think we have detected just how Bob gets round those bends at such a speed – he moves his whole body practically off the machine, leaning into the bend, and then tucks back again on the exit, almost “chairwise”, thus keeping the machine more upright than he would if he stayed in situ.”

#30 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:29

Posted Image

Charlie Dodson, Sunbeam, Spa, 1930.

#31 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:47

Posted Image

During the 60's a few riders had extreme cornering styles :rolleyes:

#32 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:53

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures separated by 13 years (ish)

Same great style.

Posted Image

Edited by Classicpics, 13 August 2009 - 06:11.

#33 GBGIVER

GBGIVER

• 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 20:19

Sorry, off-topic, but more cobblestones...

Posted Image

#34 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 20:24

Posted Image

During the 60's a few riders had extreme cornering styles :rolleyes:

Including this chappie , taking things a little to far :eek:

Posted Image

#35 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 22:04

Purely from memory, wasn't Angelo Bergamonti's fatal accident at (I think) Riccione in '71 on a cobbled street circuit in the wet, and IIRC it was said at the time that had he been wearing a full face helmet that he would likely have survived the accident as it was a low speed spill but he hit the kerb face first :cry:

Edited by exclubracer, 13 August 2009 - 22:04.

#36 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:35

Sorry, off-topic, but more cobblestones...

Posted Image

Hi, nice shot, any details please ??

#37 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:52

Going by the sign in the background, Poland or maybe Czeckoslovakia ?

#38 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:43

Going by the sign in the background, Poland or maybe Czechoslovakia ?

Yip, definitely a communist country. Communism was always characterized by the long queues of people waiting to buy something, usually bread. If you look carefully, you can see that, what at first appears to be a group of spectators, is in fact a lot of people waiting in line to buy something to eat. :o :p :rotfl: :wave: :

#39 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:46

Purely from memory, wasn't Angelo Bergamonti's fatal accident at (I think) Riccione in '71 on a cobbled street circuit in the wet, and IIRC it was said at the time that had he been wearing a full face helmet that he would likely have survived the accident as it was a low speed spill but he hit the kerb face first :cry:

Some trustable information about the crash

http://motorsportmem...hp?db=ms&n=1484

In addition to that, other sources mention that the bike was aquaplaning and the front brake locked, but the circuit was not cobbled. There is a footage on youtube, which shows the appaling conditions during that event...

Advertisement

#40 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:30

Yip, definitely a communist country. Communism was always characterized by the long queues of people waiting to buy something, usually bread. If you look carefully, you can see that, what at first appears to be a group of spectators, is in fact a lot of people waiting in line to buy something to eat. :o :p :rotfl: :wave: :

Could be in the West Rhodie, as it might be a dole queue :eek:

#41 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:35

Could be in the West Rhodie, as it might be a dole queue :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol:
Looks like down -town Hackney to me Russ , is that you with a dark top and shades :cool: ??

#42 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 13:14

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol:
Looks like down -town Hackney to me Russ , is that you with a dark top and shades :cool: ??

Ooh, I almost swore then........and nah, doesn't seem to be enough Polish shops for Hackney.

#43 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 15:45

...and it's not just a one-off lucky pictures....that was Jean-Philippe's style all the time..... :love:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great pics Phillipe though I prefer the Donington one with the elbow down under a yellow flag held by a compfy marshall. Ruggia certainly livened things up eh?

David

#44 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:09

yes, jpr was a classic and i did enjoy his riding and style. i have footage of the winter test on the yzr 500 for 1990 and its all over the place, i remember watching him in practice at donny in 91 for the gp. rainey/schwantz/doohan etc would come out mcleans sliding while the front was in the air, then jpr would come out of there with the whole bike nearly off the deck and if he if he didnt scare you the 1st time he would always make sure the 2nd :) . regarding kim newcombe have you ever watched love,speed and loss. the dvd about the konig and kim also. a touching tribute to a great man

#45 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 21:32

Does anyone know of any data base that might have information about non gp International races from the 70's. Right now I am trying to fins out about an International held at Hengelo at the beginning of the 72 season. Paul Eikelberg won on a Konig and Kim Newcombe crashed on his. Don't know much beyond that. Any help would be much appreciated.

#46 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 00:14

International roadrace Hengelo (Gld) the Netherlands 27-08-1972.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:45

Thank you so very much. This is wonderful. All I need now is a handy Dutch person to translate for me. Luckily we have a good Dutch population here.

#48 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:47

OCR, Google translation and some editing:

The first step in a new jubilee for Varsselring races of the HAMOVE is again put in a booming event, fantastic races and an organization that you hardly noticed so very good.
It was almost like a Grand Prix in Hengelo, because apart from riders as Agostini and Nieto all the greats from the Grand Prix racing scene came at the start.
Again this year Jarno Saarinen at the start, the new 250 cc world champion, also our 50cc world champion Jan de Vries and former world champions Dieter Braun and Dave Simmonds.
As expected, were already in practice the existing lap records improved, including the absolute record that last year drew with Dave Simmonds 2.04,5.
Jarno Saarinen brought it all to around 2 minutes, faster than expected, but the race was slightly slower.
Somewhat surprising was the last race, the 500cc class;
the overall lap record smashed by German König rider Paul Eickelberg and brought to 1.58,8, which in the 4848 meter long circuit represents an average speed of 146.909 km/h!

The only non international was the national 500 cc race with opened the event.
At the lead was the image as always in recent races, a quick starting Fred Koopman, along with fellow Kawasaki rider Giel v.d. Linde, in front of Herman Timman on the Honda.
Timman lost only a few meters at the start, and in two laps he closed the hole and passed Koopman.
They kept trying to stay at his wheel, what occasionally succeeded, but eventually Timman could still gain a slight edge.
Koopman was second, not directly threatened by v.d. Linde who continued in third place.
Patrick Visser came quickly through the field after a less successful launch in the first round and took fourth place after passing Mohammed Gumilar.

The first international race was in the 350 cc class with it immediately the violence at the start was great.
Three riders, Dieter Braun, Jarno Saarinen and Teuvo Länsivuori, nested immediately in front and took the first round a small lead in the strong field that was raised by Marcel Ankone.
It was a great duel for the lead.
In the second lap Saarinen took over from Braun and two laps later his compatriot Länsivuori succeeded to get for the German.
And then the two Finns were trying to race away together, Länsivuori in the slip stream from the faster machine of Saarinen.
Initially this tactic seemedto go work, but in the fifth round went wrong somewhere and Dieter Braun shot back to the lead.
Shortly thereafter Länsivuori's machine broke down, and also Saarinnen stopt a few laps later with a burnt clutch.
Dieter Braun had regained its leadership position and was not abandoned after the failure of his pursuers with large lead over the finish line as winner.
Marcel Ankone had problems with his machine from the start and retired after a few laps with a broken gearchange.
Meanwhile Nico v.d. Zande was coming along and took Ankoné's position.
By the failure of the Finns, he slid two places to which he was second.
He drove a great race because he kept riders as Billie Nelson, Jack Findlay, Ernst Hiller and Jerry Lancaster generous behind.
Billie Nelson did some attemts on v.d. Zande in the closing stages of the race, but he managed it by no.
Adri v.d. Broeke had just such a beautiful race, coming from the back of the field to finish fourth.

Of course, the 50 cc race was a national issue.
The few foreigners who normally do get points for the World Championship were completely downgraded by the Dutch.
Cees van Dongen started this race on Van Veen Kreidler, not as fast as that of Jan de Vries, but generous easily fast enough to be second to them.
Jan de Vries was close in the first laps, but later withdrew his teammate away with a very large lead to win.
Jan Bruins, in the next season driving for Monark, quickly grabbed the third place.
Theo Timmer occupied in the first round in fourth place, but then had to make way for Teunis Ramaker comming from midfield.
In his hunt for Jan Bruins Ramaker was rather unfortunate to fall thereafter, where he broke an arm and get a concussion.
Jan Bruins still not sitting on roses because of the particularly strong performance of Jan Huberts who put two rounds in for an attack on him who was crowned with success.

After the break, the 250 cc and it was a contest held in the annals of the native race history will not soon be forgotten.
Six men believe to bunch together, struggling for the leadership that ever changed hands about.
Jarno Saarinen, Kent Andersson, Börje Jansson, Teuvo Länsivuori, Werner Pfirter and Adri v.d. Broeke had once thought of all the alienation.
Adri v. d. Broeke was around long with the big men and in the third and fourth round had even the best papers.
Unfortunately he was the only one who broke down, a piston seizure threw him back, and later it happened twice so he was pushing the line (still in eleventh place).
The other five remained and only in the last laps with some air between the machines.
None other than world champion Jarno Saarinen - currently negotiating with Benelli - was the strongest in the closing stages.
With slight edge throughout Kent Andersson, he referred to the second place, while Pfirter could maintain third place for Länsivuori and Jansson.
Behind the leaders was in the beginning a kind of group, but this fragmented and pulled slightly further apart.
Eventually Walter Sommer and sixth for Marcel Ankone and Adu Celso Santos.

The 125cc race went without duels for the lead, but the differences were small.
Kent Andersson immediately took the lead and then drove some distance away each round from second man Börje Jansson.
Mortimer, second in practice, came to a stop in the first lap with a faulty gearbox.
In the second lap Dave Simmonds took third place from Dieter Braun who was then also caught by Jos Schurgers.
But it was soon after Jos retired with a burned clutch (almost all machines that retired had either a burned clutch or were jammed).
After that Cees v. Dongen opened another attack on Dieter Braun, but long before the end Cees already signaled that his engine failed.
Gert Bender was sixth and Aart Valster decided a duel with Björn Carlsson in his favor.

Surprising was the 500 cc race.
Dave Simmonds, already fastest in practice, took the lead in the first round at the expense of speed started Chas Mortimer and then moved quickly away.
After a few laps Simmonds had to make a pit stop for a loose exhaust, this threw him into a hopeless position in the midfield.
Mortimer in the lead again, but his winning advantage was apparently offset by a few laps by Paul Eickelberg at a very fast König.
In the ninth round, he took the lead and after a few very fast laps past the existing lap record he won with a streetlength ahead of Chas Mortimer.
Dave Simmonds was speeding through the field after his pit stop, and came in third place many laps before the end of the race, but the gap with the leaders was too big.
After a long duel with multiple riders Jack Findlay defeated the last remnants, Kurt-Harald Florin on König and Bo Granath on Husqvarna.
König's top driver and development engineer Kim Newcombe has crashed in practice and will have to stay in hospital for a few months with a damaged cervical.
Best Dutchman in this class was Piet v.d. Wal with an eighth place just a wheellength ahead of Wil Hartog.
Before that Mike v. Aken, riding in fourth place, retired with an engine seizure.

Edited by HEMEYLA, 07 September 2009 - 11:37.

#49 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:34

That's a terrific translation. thank you so much for going to the trouble. The story has given me a great deal of really valuable information.
Paul Eikelberg is living in Australia and I have spoken to him about that race and his career generally. Clearly he was a rider who had the talent to go a very long way. As was and is so often the case it seems money was the issue in the end.
I still don't know what caused Kim Newcomb's crash but it might have been a seizure or even a broken crankshaft.
Once again thanks for all the effort
regards
Tim Hanna

#50 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 19:45

Posted ImagePosted Image
One for Tim.