Photo

Multiplatform Wheel

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 15:28

Can anyone suggest a steering wheel I could get to use with both PC and PS3?

I've seen the Logitech G25 but it may be out of my price range and I wondered if anyone had any advice on a decent alternative.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 16:36

Logitech Momo works with Gran Turismo 5 Prolog. But on the PS3 it's not as easy as if it works in one game it works in all, its up to the developer to support the wheel, not the PS3.

/Viktor

#3 Matt Wiley

Matt Wiley

• 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 00:09

Can anyone suggest a steering wheel I could get to use with both PC and PS3?

I've seen the Logitech G25 but it may be out of my price range and I wondered if anyone had any advice on a decent alternative.

Thanks.

You could get the Logitech GT5 Driving Force Pro. On the box it says it is only for the PS3 but that is not correct. You can download drivers from logitech to make it work with the pc. This is the wheel I use and it works perfect.

#4 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 17:57

Any of the logitech wheels really man, I have a G25 personally and it rocks!!!!

#5 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:59

Any of the logitech wheels really man, I have a G25 personally and it rocks!!!!

Lucky b'stard

#6 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 18:05

It is one of my three steering wheels LOL

#7 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:26

It is one of my three steering wheels LOL

*reiterates above comment*

My only steering wheel is about 8 years old and is a Microsoft sidewinder :

Posted Image

#8 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:18

Thats umm awesome....

:D

There will be a G27 coming soon so if you hold out for a bit I reckon the G25 will be dropping in price shortly, or you may get one on ebay.

#9 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 20:02

Thats umm awesome....

:D

There will be a G27 coming soon so if you hold out for a bit I reckon the G25 will be dropping in price shortly, or you may get one on ebay.

*sigh*

#10 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:02

Getting a G25 in a few weeks. For $289 Australian. Should be fun. :cool:

I hope the day that I get it, I don't see a pic or preview of the new G27. G25 will feel like sloppy seconds. :cry:

Like this very funny clip..

#11 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:59

Here you go...

A G27 review and comparison to the G25 from folks at Inside Sim Racing.  ;)

Basically, if you can get a good deal on a G25, do it. The G27 is better but it's not a radical redesign.

#12 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 13:46

Ive just got a pretty much new G25 from ebay for a tad over £100 and have seen it new for about £130, I couldnt recommend it enough over my previous wheel - the logi DFP. The wheel motors are so much quieter with much less drag so you can countersteer and catch slides much more instinctively. The metal paddle shifts, pedals and leather wheel all feel amazing quality for the price. The pots in the pedals and especially the wheel are much more accurate, Ive improved my driving straight away on my PC sims.

Was driving the road cars in live for speed last night with the full 900 deg lock, 6 speed gate shifter and clutch pedal last night, its a real challenge to be anywhere near as quick but sooo rewarding :)

The only small downside compared to the DFP is the lack of on wheel buttons for pit lane speed limiters, launch control etc. The G25 only has two which invariably get used for look left/right. But switching the shifter to sequential mode and assigning extra functions to that means lower priority stuff can go back on the keyboard or the buttons behind the shifter.

#13 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:06

The Logitech G27 is ready for release 15 oktober here in the Netherlands. With 359 euro pretty heavy but think I'll get it anyway. While games come and go, this steering wheel will stay a while ;p

ps: it's an upgraded G25, what I love most is shifting light indicators
Posted Image

#14 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:44

My big issue with the G27 is every review I've seen so far has mentioned an increased dead zone on center as a result of the new helical gearing. An on center deadzone was ALREADY a problem for the G25. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a bigger one... :well:

The biggest selling point of the G27 over the G25 (for me personally) is the new H pattern shifter, which is supposed to have a much better (read weighted) feel.

Edited by jaisli, 14 October 2009 - 12:44.

#15 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 13:11

The biggest selling point of the G27 over the G25 (for me personally) is the new H pattern shifter, which is supposed to have a much better (read weighted) feel.

Yeh but they dropped the sequential one, but well, still have the flippers for that!

I didn't hear about a deadzone. Is this really annoying?

#16 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 15:03

The loss of the Sequential shifter doesn't really bother me (although I probably should have mentioned it in my post). So long as you can use the paddle shifters I'm fine with it.

The deadzone varies from game to game. In Dirt2 it's barely noticeable. In (the unpatched) Ferrari Challenge and NFS:Shift it's quite noticeable, bordering on bothersome.

It's not horrible. But if it's now 'worse' I won't consider trading up for a G27 without testing it first.

Edited by jaisli, 14 October 2009 - 15:04.

#17 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 15:11

Taking into account all the info Ive heard the G27 isnt really a big improvement on the G25, more an update. The functionality they have added such as a couple extra wheel buttons has been negated by the loss of the sequential gear ability. And the supposed improvement of the helical gear system causing more dead zone is not good either even if it is quieter. I recently got a G25 almost new for around £100 and its perfect. If you have the money to splash and dont want sequential gearstick get the G27.

#18 cordell777

cordell777

• 777 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:53

wewantourdarbyback, try to get G25 (prices will drop now as G27 is here). The wheel (+FFB) and pedals are really really good :). I've had it for 3 years and not a single problem with it. Now I'm waiting for the G27 :clap: (mainly becouse of 6-on-wheel buttons, which I really "missed" with G25).

All good

#19 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:10

You could get the Logitech GT5 Driving Force Pro. On the box it says it is only for the PS3 but that is not correct. You can download drivers from logitech to make it work with the pc. This is the wheel I use and it works perfect.

I do the same! Works perfect! Although not a G25, very very good still.

Advertisement

#20 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:23

Getting a G25 in a few weeks. For $289 Australian. Should be fun. :cool:

I hope the day that I get it, I don't see a pic or preview of the new G27. G25 will feel like sloppy seconds. :cry:

Like this very funny clip..

The new G27 is available in early November for $509 (NZ). I'd love to get the G25 but that is almost the same price. How are you able to get one for under $300? :mad:

And yet I can pick up a Driving Force GT for $230 (NZ). Which one should I go for?

It will be my first wheel. Up until now I've been using an old Micro$oft Sidewinder joystick for my driving sims. (yeah I know laugh) :blush:

It might be crap for driving sims but it's sure taken some punishment over the years. :D

Edited by hsvone, 02 November 2009 - 05:25.

#21 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:58

The new G27 is available in early November for $509 (NZ). I'd love to get the G25 but that is almost the same price. How are you able to get one for under $300? :mad:

And yet I can pick up a Driving Force GT for $230 (NZ). Which one should I go for?

It will be my first wheel. Up until now I've been using an old Micro$oft Sidewinder joystick for my driving sims. (yeah I know laugh) :blush:

It might be crap for driving sims but it's sure taken some punishment over the years. :D

Nice, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel at home/

#22 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:13

Nice, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel at home/

Heh I used to go through joysticks like they're going out of fashion with GP2. :lol:

Good news though. I've found a G25 on an Australian online store that ships to NZ (over the ditch!) I'm hoping I can get that one and save over $200. :eek:

Wish me luck! :)

#23 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:28

Heh I used to go through joysticks like they're going out of fashion with GP2. :lol:

Good news though. I've found a G25 on an Australian online store that ships to NZ (over the ditch!) I'm hoping I can get that one and save over $200. :eek:

Dang! that's a good deal, please let me know how you get on ;)

I might get one too.

#24 vandem

vandem

• 54 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 18:36

...Good news though. I've found a G25 on an Australian online store that ships to NZ (over the ditch!) I'm hoping I can get that one and save over $200. :eek:

Two other wheel options to consider if you are a Kiwi:

Logitech GT5, works for PS3 + PC. Little brother of the G25. Replaced Logitech Driving Force GT about 2 years ago. $250 at DSE.

Logitech Momo. Older wheel, IIRC for PC only. VR Concepts have stock, $150. Good wheel but some users have pedal pot reliability issues (there is a well known fix on RSC forums)

Not many G25s in stock in NZ now, PBTech had about 25 three months ago, IIRC $420ish. Now all gone.

P.S. Nothing wrong with MS Sidewinder, I used for several years before G25.

#25 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:55

Two other wheel options to consider if you are a Kiwi:

Logitech GT5, works for PS3 + PC. Little brother of the G25. Replaced Logitech Driving Force GT about 2 years ago. $250 at DSE.

Logitech Momo. Older wheel, IIRC for PC only. VR Concepts have stock, $150. Good wheel but some users have pedal pot reliability issues (there is a well known fix on RSC forums)

Not many G25s in stock in NZ now, PBTech had about 25 three months ago, IIRC $420ish. Now all gone.

P.S. Nothing wrong with MS Sidewinder, I used for several years before G25.

Just bought my G25 from Australia today online. It cost me $410 all up (incl. shipping) but still cheaper than any in NZ that are new. :clap:

Yeah I could have easily bought the cheaper one from DSE but I really wanted the cooler one (read heaps of reviews). Can't wait for my package to arrive. :smoking:

Thank you Prezzy card! :kiss:

Should have got it a month ago when our dollar was .88c as opposed to now .77c :mad:

Edited by hsvone, 05 November 2009 - 04:02.

#26 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:12

Good stuff :up:

#27 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:11

Good stuff :up:

Thanks mate. I'm looking forwards to muscling a big 'Vette around the old Nurburgring like this. :smoking:

Vette around the 'Ring

Cool site BTW definitely a keeper. :up:

#28 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:47

Anyone know a very realistic F1 playseat? I can spend 0-700 GBP for it. I found the A1 playseats which I heard are pretty good. But was wondering if anyone from here has any experience?

#29 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:42

It's not really an 'F1' seat but if you want a rig, this is probably one of the best. I was considering one myself but it was just a little too pricey.

#30 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:02

It's not really an 'F1' seat but if you want a rig, this is probably one of the best. I was considering one myself but it was just a little too pricey.

thanks for the link!

wow! that looks sweet and very metal solid! the A1 playseat looks like a child-playseat comparing to this one.

too bad they are not from europe. :rolleyes: shipping and duties will be too high from outside europe. otherwise I would probably bought it! :)

#31 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:55

thanks for the link!

wow! that looks sweet and very metal solid! the A1 playseat looks like a child-playseat comparing to this one.

too bad they are not from europe. :rolleyes: shipping and duties will be too high from outside europe. otherwise I would probably bought it! :)

You can buy it directly from Europe. I think the website directs you to your regional location. Try just typing in www.visionracer.com and see where it brings you.

#32 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 16:59

You can buy it directly from Europe. I think the website directs you to your regional location. Try just typing in www.visionracer.com and see where it brings you.

really? I will check that now! update. you are right! thx. think I will buy this Proper solid playseat will post a photo when I got it!

Edited by Lewis, 07 November 2009 - 17:05.

#33 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 16:59

also found this. lol. nice price. :rotfl:

Posted Image

Just found this old picture of a nice game pod.

Posted Image

and what about this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Lewis, 16 November 2009 - 01:01.

#34 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 23:25

also found this. lol. nice price. :rotfl:

Posted Image

Just found this old picture of a nice game pod.

Posted Image

and what about this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've heard that the G25s are cheaper now that the G27 is out; however, I have not seen too many G25s on sale in retail stores. Does anyone know where to get one in the US? Thanks.

#35 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 16:53

Me mother bought me one of these for Christmas which was utterly unexpected:

Posted Image

#36 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 15:38

Good job, its a good wheel man! Hope you had a good Christmas!

#37 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 14:43

Good job, its a good wheel man! Hope you had a good Christmas!

I did, hope you had a good un too.

I love it, can finally start playing rfactor properly. I do need to find a decent lap attachment for it so I can use it with my PS3 which is in my living room but using it with my lappy is great.

#38 SharpeR

SharpeR

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 23:30

Me mother bought me one of these for Christmas which was utterly unexpected:

Nice! I am new to the board today, and as I read through I thought of the Logitech Driving Force Pro, which I believe is the predecessor to what you got. I have one as a backup to my G25, and I used to use it. You certainly will like having all those controls on the wheel :)

#39 Ibsey

Ibsey

• 525 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 20:44

Hi all,

This thread is certainly interesting, as I am also in the market for a good quality steering wheel / play seat to purchase for a PS3 / PC.

I wondered if anyone can advise whether the G25 or G27 will work for Grand Prix 4 on the PC & Gran Turmiso 5 & F1 2006 CE on the PS3 today?

My other main requirements in a steering wheel are as follows;

Is the G25 or G27 easy to install? (i.e. plug in & play with minimual fuss... as I am not too clued up on computers & config/setup of steering wheels in games). So the simplier the better for me.

Also does any know if you have to install any patches / updates for GP4 to make the G25 /G27 wheel work fully with it? as I don't think I have EVER installed any GP4 patches / updates since GP4 orginal release. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Will the G25 /G27 will be future proof & compatable for future PS3 games like F1 2010 also?

Is the G25 / G27 easy to fix to a table /desk? Does anyone know where I can find any further info / help on what type of table / desk it will fix to?

I would also consider a steering wheel, that come complete with a racing seat as well. So if anyone knows of any good deals (in addition to the ones kindly listed above) I would be extermely grateful to a links to these websites to.

Finally is it possible to use these wheels without attatching it to a table / desk & how does that compare. Or is it worth splashing out for the full play seat.

I would be willing to pay the right money as long as the wheel (& seat) does enhance the experience of driving sims.

Thanks in advance

:)

Edited by Ibsey, 20 March 2010 - 20:53.

Advertisement

#40 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:15

Hey Ibsey I cant speak for GP4 but the Logi G25 (and the Driving Force Pro before it) have been completely flawless for all racing games Ive used on PC including Rfactor, Live for Speed and iRacing and Gran Turismo games on both PS2 and 3. They all work straight away in my experience as long as the correct software is installed. To use on the PC it's recommend to download Logitech teams wingman software if it doesnt come on the disk with the wheel already:

http://www.wingmanteam.com

The DxTweak tool can be really useful also.

As far as futureproofing I dont think any wheels "stop working" with new games, especially PC games where its just about registering the correct axes/buttons in the ingame menus.

The G25 fits to pretty much any desk or rig rock solid with twist clamps on the wheel and shifter. The desk would have to be over 3 inches (75mm) or so thick for the jaws not to fit round it off the top of my head. If you want to secure them with your own fixings the wheel, shifter and pedals all have internal threads also to permanently fix them if you want to go hardcore!

As for enhancing sims a wheel is an absolute must. You cant experience a sim properly without a wheel. yes, some people are fast with mice and keyboards but these require aids that manipulate the inputs. Unaided wheel and pedal input is the only way to 'sim'.

:wave:

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 22 March 2010 - 11:29.

#41 Ibsey

Ibsey

• 525 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:39

Hey Ibsey I cant speak for GP4 but the Logi G25 (and the Driving Force Pro before it) have been completely flawless for all racing games Ive used on PC including Rfactor, Live for Speed and iRacing and Gran Turismo games on both PS2 and 3. They all work straight away in my experience as long as the correct software is installed. To use on the PC it's recommend to download Logitech teams wingman software if it doesnt come on the disk with the wheel already:

http://www.wingmanteam.com

The DxTweak tool can be really useful also.

As far as futureproofing I dont think any wheels "stop working" with new games, especially PC games where its just about registering the correct axes/buttons in the ingame menus.

The G25 fits to pretty much any desk or rig rock solid with twist clamps on the wheel and shifter. The desk would have to be over 3 inches (75mm) or so thick for the jaws not to fit round it off the top of my head. If you want to secure them with your own fixings the wheel, shifter and pedals all have internal threads also to permanently fix them if you want to go hardcore!

As for enhancing sims a wheel is an absolute must. You cant experience a sim properly without a wheel. yes, some people are fast with mice and keyboards but these require aids that manipulate the inputs. Unaided wheel and pedal input is the only way to 'sim'.

:wave:

Thanks for your reply Tenmantaylor, I am now def interested in buying a G25. I don't suppose anyone who has upgraded to a G27, would want to sell me their old G25 if they no longer use it?

I live in the UK (London) so if anyone is interested in selling me an old one please call me on 07719190738 or email me on ibsey@hotmail.co.uk.

#42 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:10

While everyone is discussing racing wheels, I'll throw in a little question about mine. I have a logitech momo force, seems like a pretty good wheel especially after I figured out how to fix my fluctuating pedal readings (pedal pot fix that is mentioned earlier in the thread, works a charm now). However, I've dropped it more than a few times on the floor while setting it up on my desk, and I think that's caused the column connecting the wheel itself to the main body of the unit to become a little loose, so as you jiggle the wheel it has a little up and down motion that it didn't have when new. It works fine in games, but the small motion gets annoying and makes me think it may lead to more sever problems down the road, so does anyone have any experience getting inside this wheel to tighten things up? I don't want to open it up before I know what I'm doing lest I go from a slightly jiggly functional wheel to a paperweight because I screwed something up.