Photo

Alonso: Stay at Renault or move to Ferrari?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Alonso: Stay at Renault or move to Ferrari? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team would be the best for his career coming years?

1. Renault (29 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Ferrari (58 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:30

Rumours have it that Alonso is set to go to Ferrari, but is it really a wise move?
I mean Renault have won more champions recent years than Ferrari and now the dream team are of course no longer in the Italian team.
Ferrari International Assistance is after the recent debacle and Mosley ousting also unlikely to help in the same way as before.

So which team do you honestly think would be the best for him to grab another title?

Advertisement

#2 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:13

As a Alonso fan I would like Alonso to stay in Renault IF Renault can make a top car. Alonso and Renault is match made in heaven. But I also want to see Alonso winning again.

#3 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:30

Why only list these two?

#4 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:41

As these are his likely options. Seems he is either staying at Renault or moving to Ferrari.

McLaren is obviously not on and I very much doubt Red Bull will pay for him, same with Brawn and the latter anyway too risky.

And I don't think he wants to leave Renault for Toyota or any other team either.

#5 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:46

Brawn is a very possible option - I doubt he will be at Ferrari or Renault. Ferrari only if Massa doesnt drive again, Renualt only if there isnt a better option available.

#6 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:48

NASCAR?

#7 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 14:23

ITS OFFICIAL; ALONSO REQUESTS MOVE FROM FAILING ENGLAND BASED TEAM TO TOP MEDITERRANEAN OUTFIT

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 30 July 2009 - 14:26.

#8 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 14:29

Long term Alonso definitely needs to go to Ferrari and Ferrari definitely needs Alonso, but next year I am hoping that he will stick with Renault and that Renault will give him a car that will allow him to fight for the championship

#9 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:59

In the absense of an option 3 "who cares", I guess it's stay at renault, I think alonso and briatore suit each other :lol:

Edited by icecream_man, 30 July 2009 - 21:59.

#10 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:14

Reno if they stay in F1

#11 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:27

As these are his likely options. Seems he is either staying at Renault or moving to Ferrari.

McLaren is obviously not on and I very much doubt Red Bull will pay for him, same with Brawn and the latter anyway too risky.

And I don't think he wants to leave Renault for Toyota or any other team either.

Why bother with a poll if it's tweaked to favour your opinion? You have 12 poll options, use them next time.

#12 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:39

He had the opportunity to join Red Bull last year. He'd be in the title contention now if he hadn't refused. Sometimes the obvious choices aren't the best.

#13 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:47

Why the hell wouldn't he go to Ferrari? It's by no means certain that Renault will be in F1 next year, and even if Briatore bought the team should Renault indeed pull the plug - FlavioF1 probably isn't going to be a better bet than Ferrari.

It's a no-brainer.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:04

He had the opportunity to join Red Bull last year. He'd be in the title contention now if he hadn't refused. Sometimes the obvious choices aren't the best.

When did he have that opportunity?

#15 FI-Addict

FI-Addict

• 167 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:08

Speaking in the WRC press conference today Raikkonen seemed very commited to F1 until the end of his contract. His words and body language suggested no doubt that he'd be driving for Ferrari in 2010 and after that he's open to suggestions, i.e. continue in F1 or go to WRC. Therefore, provided Renault stay in F1, Alonso probably won't be going anywhere until 2010.

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:32

When did he have that opportunity?

I heard that rumour last year but supposedly Alonso only wanted a 1 year contract - as a stop gap to moving to Ferrari - but RBR wanted him for 2 years.

Whether it is true or not is open for debate...

#17 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:38

I heard that rumour last year but supposedly Alonso only wanted a 1 year contract - as a stop gap to moving to Ferrari - but RBR wanted him for 2 years.

alonso himself confirmed it on el larguero whilst interviewed last winter

#18 DOF_power

DOF_power

• 1,538 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:39

FOTA did propose 3 car teams.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:39

I can only remember that being the case in 2007 for the 2008 season when he was leaving Mac. Don't remember him being offered a RB drive last year.

Advertisement

#20 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:47

alonso himself confirmed it on el larguero whilst interviewed last winter

Last winter as in before this season started?

I can only remember that being the case in 2007 for the 2008 season when he was leaving Mac. Don't remember him being offered a RB drive last year.

Really? I thought it was last year - if he didn't have a certain amount of points or results (by Hungary) he was free to leave Renault after 1 yr, which is when the RBR rumours started.

If it was 2007 then don't mind me - I've had a big couple of years - time really does fly... :p

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:57

Last winter as in before this season started?

Really? I thought it was last year - if he didn't have a certain amount of points or results (by Hungary) he was free to leave Renault after 1 yr, which is when the RBR rumours started.

If it was 2007 then don't mind me - I've had a big couple of years - time really does fly... :p

It might have been last year as well, and I missed it. He certainly had a number of rumoured offers in 2007 when he became available.

#22 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:58

I would have said stay at Renault.
However after the way they acted last week move to Ferrari they will atleast let him know when things are dangerous on a car.
I hope.

#23 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:08

Let's see ...

Kimi is on "gardening leave" because he wants to rally. (Btw ... how many people get to leave a team, break an expensive contract, go racing in an entirely different class and KEEP THE PAYCHECK? [cough]FIRED[cough]).
This leaves a spot open at Ferrari.

Meanwhile at Renault, Piquet is fired and Briatore leaves the pitwall (or maybe even the venue) while Piquet is still racing. Renault is bleeding money at the moment and is said to have one of the largest F1 budgets and sometimes rumoured to be looking for a way out.

So Alonso moves to Ferrari, probably bringing Flavio along with him ... After all, there must be a spot opening if Todt goes off to replace Max Mosley. Renault closes down ... wait - they can sell to Piquet Racing, who are rumoured to be looking into moving to F1.

It would all fit nicely. ;-)

#24 Race Nerd

Race Nerd

• 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:15

If given the opportunity to drive for Ferrari in F1, you choose Ferrari.

#25 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:47

Let's see ...

Kimi is on "gardening leave" because he wants to rally. (Btw ... how many people get to leave a team, break an expensive contract, go racing in an entirely different class and KEEP THE PAYCHECK? [cough]FIRED[cough]).
This leaves a spot open at Ferrari.

Meanwhile at Renault, Piquet is fired and Briatore leaves the pitwall (or maybe even the venue) while Piquet is still racing. Renault is bleeding money at the moment and is said to have one of the largest F1 budgets and sometimes rumoured to be looking for a way out.

So Alonso moves to Ferrari, probably bringing Flavio along with him ... After all, there must be a spot opening if Todt goes off to replace Max Mosley. Renault closes down ... wait - they can sell to Piquet Racing, who are rumoured to be looking into moving to F1.

It would all fit nicely. ;-)

Todt has nothing to do with Ferrari any more. There was a well publicised power struggle between Luca and Todt and Luca won.

Kimi isn't on gardening leave, he is just competing in the Finnish rally. He isn't going to miss any GP's for it.

Given the fact that the Concorde should be signed tomorrow, we will see if Renault leave. I think it is unlikely, otherwise they would have already announced, (this is why BMW announced when they did. It was a straight choice of stay till 2012 or leave).

That said, I do believe that Fernando will go to Ferrari in 2010.

#26 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:26

Kimi isn't on gardening leave, he is just competing in the Finnish rally. He isn't going to miss any GP's for it.

Kimi is missing the entire 2010 season, for which he is contracted AND being paid! I'd say that's "gardening leave".

#27 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:29

Kimi is missing the entire 2010 season, for which he is contracted AND being paid! I'd say that's "gardening leave".

I'd say that's a job I want to have myself :-)

#28 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:50

If given the opportunity to drive for Ferrari in F1, you choose Ferrari.

What he said.

The OP's clever sophistry apart ("I mean Renault have won more champions recent years than Ferrari" - no but they got a damn sight closer much more often) it's just very odd to suggest that he stay with a team whose fortunes fluctuate so wildly when a team beckons which has almost never failed to win at least one race a season since forever*.

*Yes I know this is doesn't stand up to nerd-o-scrutiny but it's close enough that the point is clear OKAY!?

#29 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:26

... Renault have won more champions recent years than Ferrari...

That depends on how you define 'recent years'. If it means 'the last 10 years', Ferrari took 8 WCCs and 6 WDCs, agains Renault's 2 each. If it means 'the last 5 years', Ferrari have 3 WCCs and 2 WCCs, against Renault's 2 each.

Adding to it that, since their titles in 2005 and '06, Renault were 3rd and 4th in the WCC in '07 and '08 respectively, with a total of 2 GP victories, while Ferrari were WCC's in both seasons, taking 17 wins.

... and now the dream team are of course no longer in the Italian team.

Oh, and remember that the Todt-Brawn-Byrne-Schumacher dream team effectively fell apart after 2006, and still Ferrari was WDC in '07 and WCC in '07 and '08.

I'm not trying to defend Ferrari here, since they're almost as much in the dolldrums as Renault are, this season, but given a choice between Renault and Ferrari, I would know which to pick. (On the other hand, that's probably what drivers like Alboreto, Arnoux, Prost and Alesi though when they opted for the Scuderia...)

#30 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:28

I voted Renault because the rumours of Alonso going to Ferrari are just that: rumours.