Photo

So pretend Schumacher gets the Massa replacement drive ....

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: Shuey return good or bad? (233 member(s) have cast votes)

To see him on track....

1. Great memories will be evoked - slow or not (120 votes [49.79%])

Percentage of vote: 49.79%

2. Bad move, will damage my memories of him if slow (28 votes [11.62%])

Percentage of vote: 11.62%

3. Didnt like him then, waste of a good seat now. (25 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

4. Didnt like him then but will enjoy to see him lapped now (46 votes [19.09%])

Percentage of vote: 19.09%

5. Other..... (22 votes [9.13%])

Percentage of vote: 9.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 14:27

As the vote for Massa's replacement (hopefully very temp of course) is running surprisingly high in favour of MS I was interested to see the feel from some if it actually happened.

This is just a bit of fun.

Edited by bira, 27 July 2009 - 22:43.

Advertisement

#2 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 14:29

wheres paul?

#3 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 14:31

whose poll?

#4 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 16:05

He was my favourite - when he returns, I'd be quite surprised if he was slow. OK, he may be slow at first, but I think he'll come back to speed. :)

I don't think he'll win and interfere in the title fight, but he'll get a few points that's for sure.

#5 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 16:44

he will be extremely quick. He's probably the most talented guy to ever sit behind the wheel of a racing car, and the only reason he's not still in F1 is that he doesnt want to be. There will be fireworks if he takes the drive.

#6 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 17:40

I think it would be very interesting if it has him, I doubt he would've lost "it" in 2 years.

#7 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 17:42

I doubt he'll be as slow as Mika Hakkinen was a few years back.

He'll be quick as ever.

And it will be awesome to see how he compares to Kimi Raikkonen.

#8 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 17:57

Let's not forget all the testing he has done and the input he has had to a car going back to a style that he developed in during his early years in F1, i.e. slicks and less aero, etc. I think the sparks would seriously fly if he came back and you KNOW Bernie would love this.....

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 27 July 2009 - 17:58.

#9 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:06

I think it will be too much of a risk for him. With no testing, he could be quite slow for a while before getting used to slick, KERS, different grip levels

#10 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:13

There's no upside for MS ... car isn't competitive, he's had no mileage on it and there's no way for him to get mileage. I seriously doubt he 'll do it unless LdM offers him bucketloads of cash that he just can't refuse

#11 bobqzzi

bobqzzi

• 360 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:14

I sure don't think he would be slow.

Edited by bobqzzi, 27 July 2009 - 19:03.

#12 MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC

• 311 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:14

voted 'other' = easily THE highlight of Ferrari's year.

ratings would SOAR, as Ferrari fans have more reason to watch

Edited by MS7XWDC, 27 July 2009 - 18:16.

#13 Red 5

Red 5

• 610 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:19

Apart from Alain Prost who went on to win a WDC I cant think of anybody who has left the sport and then come back and being successful. Prost did it in a car that had already won and was the best car around. Its not the same for MS so why risk everything for the sake of a few points in a few races.

#14 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:19

Other:

Didn't like him then, but suppose he'd be fast anyways.

#15 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:21

It would be awesome.

What a shame an MS come back would be at a pants track like Valencia.

But what about this 'turmoil' in Schumacher's private life Adam Cooper has written about?

Anyone know anything more about that?

#16 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,526 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:27

Apart from Alain Prost who went on to win a WDC I cant think of anybody who has left the sport and then come back and being successful. Prost did it in a car that had already won and was the best car around. Its not the same for MS so why risk everything for the sake of a few points in a few races.

Niki Lauda.

WDC in 1984, won his 3rd race after return

#17 Cosworth-Daz

Cosworth-Daz

• 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:28

i think in 2006 MS showed he had lost some of his speed imo, but MS losing speed still made him the fastest or in the top 2 of the year...

MS reminds me of elvis presley. Someone who is mega tallented at what they do, and even off form are far abouve anyone who does the same job as them.

#18 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:30

I think Shumi will be right on the pace.. Alguersuari was and I hear Shumi clocked the fastest lap times on the Kart race organized by Kubica...

#19 Red 5

Red 5

• 610 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:38

Niki Lauda.

WDC in 1984, won his 3rd race after return

Aaargh! Good point :up:

Advertisement

#20 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:40

MS reminds me of elvis presley. Someone who is mega tallented at what they do, and even off form are far abouve anyone who does the same job as them.

A nice, if unlikely, comparison.

#21 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:43

I asked that the other poll put in an option for Massa or nobody....but MS would win me over with Massa's consent of course.

#22 TinyJim

TinyJim

• 184 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:43

I think Shumi will be right on the pace.. Alguersuari was and I hear Shumi clocked the fastest lap times on the Kart race organized by Kubica...

Even though Schumacher's pace in the kart shows he certainly has the physical capability to drive F1 (he pretty much said that himself) but don't get too carried away. He has his own kart team, and a close relationship with TonyKart. Schumacher drives them a lot while the other drivers were naturally a little more rusty. Also there were differnet tyres/chassis/engine being used which can make a huge different.

#23 Cosworth-Daz

Cosworth-Daz

• 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:45

A nice, if unlikely, comparison.

im obviously making a comparison in what they do professionaly - no personal lifes etc.

Does not matter if you like either you have to have repect for their natural ability.

#24 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:45

Haven't voted cos I can't decide. Would be cool though to see him race Lewis.

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:49

Does not matter if you like either you have to have repect for their natural ability.

For sure, Elvis was great.

#26 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:49

Well, god help the internets if he beat Kimi never mind anyone else...

Although it is interesting about Kubica's karting tourney where Schumi was still the fastest... :)

#27 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:52

Meh, I don't really care either way. Everyone and their gerbils already know the guy's one of the best ever, if not the best. A few more races are not going to change that.

#28 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:56

Meh, I don't really care either way. Everyone and their gerbils already know the guy's one of the best ever, if not the best. A few more races are not going to change that.

I'd love to see him in a F1 car again. Hell I don't care how much it would cost I'd be at the first race with him in it.

#29 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:00

As a racing driver I think the guy is a total tosser.

However. I think it would be really cool to see the guy back, because despite all his warts, he is a legend. It could only add value to the show.*

* It would also be nice to see Hamilton kick his arse :wave:

#30 Keith68

Keith68

• 246 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:21

I'd hate to see it as I believe he deserves to have his legacy kept intact

He's had 2 years out and the cars have changed, the Ferrari is only the 5th or 6th best car out on the track at best, he's not going to be super quick out of the box and there is no chance to test to get up to speed

#31 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:29

There's no upside for MS ... car isn't competitive, he's had no mileage on it and there's no way for him to get mileage. I seriously doubt he 'll do it unless LdM offers him bucketloads of cash that he just can't refuse

Car isn't competitive? They've had 3 podiums in the last 5 races...in the hands of Massa and Kimi. Even if Schumi isn't as fast as he was before, I would guess that he could at least match Kimi and Massa's sort of pace after a couple race weekends getting used to the car. He is that good. I think people forget that.

I'd be all for it, just so that Ferrari optimize their results for the rest of the season. Other than that, I'm not too big on seeing Schumi back in F1. Brilliant driver, but I wouldn't be able to handle any more Schumi-esque incidents like Monaco 06.

#32 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:38

Schumi driving without the pressure of the championship....reminds me of brazil 2006

#33 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:43

I was a massive Schumi fan when he was racing but his last race was one of the drives of his career, an incredible surge through the field when faced with adversity and it was a lovely way to bow out of racing

If he was to come back and be way off the pace and slow and not a shadow of his old glorious self it would be a sad Mansell/Damon end to his career so I would rather Schumi left things as they are

#34 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:49

I was a massive Schumi fan when he was racing but his last race was one of the drives of his career, an incredible surge through the field when faced with adversity and it was a lovely way to bow out of racing

If he was to come back and be way off the pace and slow and not a shadow of his old glorious self it would be a sad Mansell/Damon end to his career so I would rather Schumi left things as they are

I agree. I wasn't a big Schumacher fan, (or I was until 2004 when it got boring to watch him win, and I then just wanted to watch him lose), but he would tarnish his reputation if he came back now. There is no way that he would come close to Kimi and that would allow the naysayers to go on about how Kimi beat him. If he didn't retire, I believe he would have won the championship in 2007, but he did and is now 3 years out of the groove.

I always cringe at my childhood hero, Nigel, struggling to fit into a McLaren, then retiring because he was too knackered to continue. I prefer to think of him dominating the field in 1992, then doing the same in IRL the following year.

#35 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:53

Have to agree, however I'd be on the first plane to Valencia to see him race again.

Like you I'd like to treasure this awesome memory of his last race.

Mind says don't do it Michael, heart says please one more time :well:

#36 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:14

I think if Schumacher framed a return correctly it wouldn't tarnish his legacy.

If he said these races are purely to help Ferrari and keep the seat warm for Felipe.

If he said he's not expecting any big results, and scoring points would be a bonus.

If he's slow he can say he was right to retire when he did.

If, as I suspect, he's still pretty quick, the legend will grow larger.

What a shame he would return to a Mickey Mouse circuit like Valencia though.

#37 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:17

I doubt he'll be as slow as Mika Hakkinen was a few years back.

This would be the same Mika who having lost enthusiasm, still won two races :)

#38 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:30

If he said these races are purely to help Ferrari and keep the seat warm for Felipe.

If he said he's not expecting any big results, and scoring points would be a bonus.

That's my problem with Schumachers return, I think the guy and his legend/legacy doesn't deserve f1 in it's current state, tracks like Valencia should not be greenlit as racing tracks, and the f1 rules, quali rules just need fixing, it's not the gladitorial sport it used to be. The one regret Schumacher probabley has, and the only think he would of liked, is if Senna had been around to race with, if you hear him in recent talks, competing with Senna was big satisfaction, because at the time he was master of the game as MS said recently, and I stll think Senna vs Schumacher is the greatest loss of could of been duels f1 ever had. I don't think f1 has another Senna for MS to look up too and fight with, these are young guys now, new guys, Senna was the master then, Schumacher followed, but I'm sure Schumacher after the loss of Senna and doing the ferrari challenge, having great duels with Hakkinen, kinda pretty much complete what was in his control to do. There's nothing to come back for, unless he really misses driving the cars, but then he could always kart, or do other things like bikes, but f1 is glamour, the press, they'll make a big hoopla over his return, but in the end, it'll be a crap track like Valencia, and his ferrari might not even look compettive, where as his races in 2006 were him being a main player and going out as a strong driver and competiting for the main prize, and that's hard to top anyhow.

If the race was Spa and Schumacher did a Spa race, that would be nice, because it's a great track and his legacy and performances there were mighty, but again, he left the game leaving the audience wanting more, and that's why were here talking about him, that's the way to leave on a high, fastest laps in our heads, because we know the guy is like the best driver off the track, it's a cool retirement, best retirement package and legacy.

Everyone moves on eventually, with Schumacher M though, we'll be wondering if he can still be fast at 50, 60, that's the impression he's left with us. Comeback buzz will go on for a while yet.

Edited by SeanValen, 27 July 2009 - 22:39.

#39 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:35

That's why he should step in a bit later IMHO, like Monza....

And don't forget that the last GP of the year is BIG for Ferrari - the Abu Dhabi circuit is directly connected to the over-the-top-Ferrari Theme Park that will open there that weekend AFAIK. If Felipe isn't ready then, MS could be a star attraction.

Advertisement

#40 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:40

No no, I don't mean when he was still active.

I meant when he did that full test for McLaren back at the end of 2006.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by potmotr, 27 July 2009 - 22:41.

#41 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,663 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:49

No this would be the Mika that tested a McLaren and flirted with driving a Williams, who plumped for Wurz over him.

Valencia is the perfect track for a return. Its crap and doesn't allow for overtaking. Perfect place to bed in the car to no expectations. Ready for understanding it in Spa, his best track. And I might be sitting at Eau Rouge...

Make it happen. His best races were always the ones which weren't contesting the WDC or WCC, when he could let rip. And its what this year needs. Plus a better Renault.

#42 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:54

So with the Spa reference..I am thinking you do know of the "Chat Noir" in Ypres....

#43 rsherb

rsherb

• 348 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:58

I don't for a second think Schumacher would consider racing, even as a temporary fill in for Massa. But if he did, it would be an interesting situation if he was to show Kimi the way (as I suspect he would after a race or two).

#44 Fabs

Fabs

• 248 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:18

I suspect M.Schumacher would be fast..

He drove F1 for 15 years.. he drove every type of F1 cars.. ..

Most of the drivers that tried a comeback and couldnt.. it was because they were too old or too out of shape...

Michael is in fantastic shape.. his talent is obviously there.. and he is old only by today standards. in the 70s or 80s, he would still have 3 good years in him..

Alain Prost could do it.. Alain was the same age.. less talented.. and in worst shape.. Michael is bigger, stronger and more skillful.

I can only think about 2 drivers being able of getting a F1 car ANYTIME and be fast...

that would be Ayrton and Michael... Ayrton is not here anymore unfortunately.. .but Michael is.. and he should accept the challenge.. it would be awesome

No pressure for wins or championships.. just show us some raw speed

#45 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:21

Other:

I never liked the 'dream' team at Ferrari and their win at all costs mentality. I was disgusted with Michael's incidents with Hill, JV, Monaco, but I understood what drove him to commit them.

I'd absolutely love to see him back in the Ferrari.

Edited by slideways, 28 July 2009 - 03:21.

#46 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,209 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:41

I never liked the 'dream' team at Ferrari and their win at all costs mentality. I was disgusted with Michael's incidents with Hill, JV, Monaco, but I understood what drove him to commit them.

Ever wondered why Schumacher never came clean on Adelaide? It's because Hill came out of nowhere and dove up the inside with two wheels inside the rumblestrip. Anyway, I digress.

Schumacher without a championship to worry about, just a few balls to the wall drives with new technology on some new and old circuits? It'd be amazing.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:45

Some thoughts:

1. Schumacher hasn't struggled to be on the pace in any car ever. Yeah yeah he had some crappy DTM races back in the day, but he wasn't seconds off the pace...
2. Everytime he's tested for Ferrari since his retirement, he's shown absolutely no loss of speed or consistency
3. Alguersuari was more or less on the pace of his car, at the very least at the level where Bourdais was, and he doesn't have anywhere near the race or F1 experience Schumacher does
4. Except for Valencia (which isn't that hard and it's not like he hasn't seen it) Schumacher knows all the remaining tracks except Abu Dhabi which no one does.
5. I am reminded of an interesting comment Massa made last year that throughout the Valencian GP weekend they got the Ferrari setup so perfect in pre-race simulations that they did little more than adjust tire pressures all weekend. So Schumacher wouldn't have to do much learning or setup, he could just get in and go.
6. It's only a few more races, it's not a full time committment.
7. It'd be a huge shot in the arm for Ferrari, F1, and the fans. Imagine the moment at the start where Hamilton and Schumacher are wheel to wheel, imagine Kimi vs Michael in qualifying at Monza, etc.
8. That all said, I don't see it happening. He seems fully, and happily, retired.
9. But I hope it does.

#48 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:04

I voted for great memories, I was never fan of him, but he would still bring back good memories, he was around for 15 years afterall. I repeat he was great driver, but I was never fan of him, although I would like to see him driving again

#49 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:21

Let him come and drive that Ferrari if he has the guts, which he DOESN't.

His ass will be whipped by Kimi, it's the combination wherefor Schumacher resigned at Ferrari! The man he is scared of the most to be beaten by, is Kimi!!!

I give Schumacher's return therefor 0,000% chance, or even LESS ..... he's simply not up to it, he will be beaten by a mile and all his fans will cry forever.

Bring it on!

#50 Oho

Oho

• 11,840 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:23

No this would be the Mika that tested a McLaren and flirted with driving a Williams, who plumped for Wurz over him.

Of course this is OT, but I don't think Häkkinen entertained any serious ideas of driving F1 competitively after Williams in 2005 pulled out from nearly done deal having been offered Button. His test with McLaren in late 2006 was hardly serious evaluation of either man or the car, more like driving around. As far as I know, which is not far at all, after Button situtaion was resolved in 2005 Williams offered Häkkinen a drive but Häkkinen declined the offer. Frank Williams even hinted at rift between his team and Häkkinen noting something to the effect of "You should not consider return to F1 only to fight boredom."

As far as Schumacher is concerned, I doubt it. Unless special dispensation was made by other teams he would be unable to drive a foot before first practice at Valencia and even he needs some acclimatization to be competitive after years out of the cockpit.