Bye Bye BMW Sauber?

• Please log in to reply
1082 replies to this topic

#1 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:46

http://twitter.com/NobleF1

It looks like BMW could be out of F1 at the end of the year, after the company called an emergency press conference for tomorrow morning

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,752 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:52

http://twitter.com/NobleF1

If true then I would expect others to follow, Renault especially. I'm surprised they haven't already.

#3 scottb32

scottb32

• 309 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:53

Thanks for the update - this is terrible news if it proves true.

AutoSport Article on BMW Announcement

#4 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:54

Jebus, if they chicken out, I'll sell my beemer tomorrow.
That's really disappointing. Gone without a fight ...
:rolleyes:

#5 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:54

If true then I would expect others to follow, Renault especially. I'm surprised they haven't already.

I wonder if it is a "bye bye BMW" or a "bye bye Max F1, hello ..."

Edited by ZZMS, 28 July 2009 - 21:54.

#6 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:55

Jesus ****ing Christ. It would be an absolute disaster for F1 if they leave.

I hope that it's not true. :(

#7 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:56

bet mosley wishes he had played hardball for a bit longer now

#8 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:57

Noooooooooo

:eek: :eek: :cry:

#9 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

it is highly likely they will exit, but there are dozens of other things it could be.

#10 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

why? bmw have done nothing for the sport really since they returned, no one will notice they are gone

#11 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:58

but there are dozens of other things it could be.

Like what?

#12 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:58

BMWho?

#13 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:59

**** no..

Budget cap anyone?

#14 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:01

Sad if they indeed would leave but hey that's FOTA here now gone tomorrow. :wave:

#15 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:02

Like what?

sacking of mario, partly selling to f.i virgin, concorde stuff, participation in le mans next year
I agreed all very unlikely

#16 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

am not suprised they look so stupid with this season and they have all that money and its gone to waste.

Edited by Massa_f1, 28 July 2009 - 22:02.

#17 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

:rotfl: @ BMW.

#18 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

why? bmw have done nothing for the sport really since they returned, no one will notice they are gone

So being one of only 6 race winners and introducing Kubica and Vettel to F1 is doing nothing?

F1 fans will notice any team withdrawal.

#19 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

bet mosley wishes he had played hardball for a bit longer now

Well it's a "I told you so" from him if it turns out the decision was made at board level and is due to cost versus reward. If they do quit due to costs, it will sort of make a mockery of the whole "We don't want a budget cap" argument being put forward by the manufacturers.

Advertisement

#20 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

I hope that it's not true. :(

I must admit that I laughed at them when the 2009 car proved a dog, I thought it served them right after arrogantly abandoning their 2008 campaign halfway through the season. I would never have imagined things becoming so bad that they would leave, though.

#21 evo.x

evo.x

• 180 posts

Pity. For Qubeetza.

#22 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:03

Customer cars. NOW.

#23 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:03

Speculation Alert:

Heidfeld to McLaren...

#24 Jason Burton

Jason Burton

• 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:04

Good ridence; they're an arrogant team that spoilt the name Sauber. Peter ran a great little team and was a man of integrity.
BMW came up and dumped Villeneuve for no good reason, they have two boring drivers who wouldn't really be missed much if they were out of F1 altogether.
Also can anyone explain why BMW road cars are so hidiously expensive? I
was recently in the market for a small family hatchback and I looked at all the options available and the basic entry level 1-series would've cost me nearly £17k!!! In the end I got a top-spec Kia Ceed for £5k less! Great sense of humour those Germans... :lol:

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Oh no. That would well and truely suck. Poor old Quick Nick.

What chance Robert Kubica at Ferrari or Mclaren in 2010?

#26 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Kubica to McLaren is more likely. He has more years in him.

#27 evo.x

evo.x

• 180 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:05

Speculation Alert:

Heidfeld to McLaren...

good joke, dude...

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:06

was recently in the market for a small family hatchback and I looked at all the options available and the basic entry level 1-series would've cost me nearly £17k!!!

So you settled for a Ferrari?

They're expensive because they're a premium brand whose build quality and performance reflect that.

#29 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,752 posts

So being one of only 6 race winners

1 of 6? I count 7 other winning teams.

#30 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Damn. I guess it's going to be easier for me to chicken out from being a BMW Sauber glory run supporter.

More seriously, this is kinda ****ed for F1. What could possibly happen to the team? Another Brawn scenario? I don't even understand how is Brawn supposed to survive for next year.

And yeah, Renault's next. I'm surprised it took half a year for another manufacturer to follow Honda.

#31 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:07

So being one of only 6 race winners and introducing Kubica and Vettel to F1 is doing nothing?

F1 fans will notice any team withdrawal.

no history, bland white cars, true f1 fans won't notice and won't care even if they do, stop being so melodramatic.

#32 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

Good ridence; they're an arrogant team that spoilt the name Sauber. Peter ran a great little team and was a man of integrity.
BMW came up and dumped Villeneuve for no good reason, they have two boring drivers who wouldn't really be missed much if they were out of F1 altogether.
was recently in the market for a small family hatchback and I looked at all the options available and the basic entry level 1-series would've cost me nearly £17k!!! In the end I got a top-spec Kia Ceed for £5k less! Great sense of humour those Germans... :lol:

yes and I am sure your Kia has the same build quality as a Beemer....

#33 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

They might not have achieved their aims, but I think it´s a gross exageration to say they won´t be missed. They have a massive following in Germany.
Personally though, I can´t say I´m suprised. The trouble is of course, it could lead to a chain reaction amoungst the manufacturer teams, Toyota and Renault being the most likely to follow suit.

#34 evo.x

evo.x

• 180 posts

(BMWs) They're expensive because they're a premium brand whose build quality and performance reflect that.

worth every cent.

#35 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

kubica to ferrari? (I doubt Massa can race in 3 weeks time)

#36 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:08

I personally know a couple of members of the Sauber team, and I resent your gloating over their possible redundancy. I will try to find out what is going on, but anyone who laughs at peoples jobs being taken away are below contempt IMHO.

#37 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

More seriously, this is kinda ****ed for F1. What could possibly happen to the team? Another Brawn scenario? I don't even understand how is Brawn supposed to survive for next year.

hate to say it, but mosley getting those three new teams in for next year means that bmw withdrawing is not a big issue at all.

#38 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

no history, bland white cars, true f1 fans won't notice and won't care even if they do, stop being so melodramatic.

no you must be correct...an F1 fan wouldn't notice 18 cars instead of 20.

Have you ever even watched a GP? :rotfl:

#39 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:10

Obviously, you have been following F1 all of 1 year.

Check out BMW history, then realise how stupid your post is.

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

hate to say it, but mosley getting those three new teams in for next year means that bmw withdrawing is not a big issue at all.

Yeah, who gives a crap about BMW, we've got Team America. :rolleyes:

#41 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

Here is my main question, I can stomach the BMW name leaving F1 but I cannot stomach their taking the Sauber name out with them.

Peter Sauber is an excellent team owner and has been for many many years. In my book (though he does not have the same results...) I put him in the same category as Frank Williams. Sure he never dominated the sport but it means a lot (IMO) to not only survive for many many years as an independent but to always be respected and capable of fighting from the middle of the grid up into the points. I don't ever remember Sauber being spectacular, but I don't ever remember them being on the last 2 rows of the grid.

Anybody have any idea what will happen to the Sauber team/eqipment/facilities etc etc?

#42 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:11

We have new teams coming in next season. BMW will not be missed, honestly, they won a single race which was down to pure luck and since them abandonded development to focus on 09, fat lot of good that did. As long as Kubica stays in F1, I'm not bothered what happens to BMW.

#43 JensonF1

JensonF1

• 586 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:12

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is exactly why I supported the FIA against FOTA all along. A sport controlled and run by the teams wouldn't last 10 minutes.

#44 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

Yeah, who gives a crap about BMW, we've got Team America. :rolleyes:

yeah take a dig at the most serious outfit of the 3 new ones because you have a chip on your shoulder against Americans... Don't take a dig at the 2 hangers on that crawled out of the woodwork when a budget cap idea came up...

#45 Jason Burton

Jason Burton

• 70 posts

yes and I am sure your Kia has the same build quality as a Beemer....

I'm sure my Kia has better build quality, otherwise why does Kia give me 7 year warranty compared to 3 with the BMW? :p

#46 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:13

That is seriously bad news.

BMW are my favourite team along with McLaren.

And they have Quick Nick driving for them.

I've always liked BMW's progress toward the front through 2006 then 2007 then 2008.

Sure, this year hasn't gone great because the team thought KERS was a good decision.

They were wrong and it has ruined their season.

But they could easily be back next year.

A real blow.

#47 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

I'm sure my Kia has better build quality, otherwise why does Kia give me 7 year warranty compared to 3 with the BMW? :p

riiight....keep on deluding yourself :smoking:

#48 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

:rotfl: @ BMW.

What a lousy attitude.

I think most real F1 fans would be sad to see this team go. Despite this one bad season, they've shown to be very promising.

#49 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is exactly why I supported the FIA against FOTA all along. A sport controlled and run by the teams wouldn't last 10 minutes.

:lol:

#50 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

That is seriously bad news.

BMW are my favourite team along with McLaren.

And they have Quick Nick driving for them.

I've always liked BMW's progress toward the front through 2006 then 2007 then 2008.

Sure, this year hasn't gone great because the team thought KERS was a good decision.

They were wrong and it has ruined their season.

But they could easily be back next year.

A real blow.

nothing is official yet my friend, though I agree with your sentiment. :up: