Photo

Where did you first hear or read news of Schumacher's return?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:13

This is one of those threads, where I like to know where and what your reaction was when you read the news from a website or heard it from a friend/or saw it on a news channel.

I want to know specificially the first reaction of yours?

Try to be honest to gather some truthful representation of our reactions.

I read the news from autosport, I saw the picture on the left hand side of Michael, and words Schumacher to return to f1 in Spain. And I was totally shocked, my first reaction was to call my Uncle and anyone who's interested in motorsport. Bascially spread the word. After reading the most shocking news, I thought here we go again, the readers comments forum is going to go insane.

Did anyone hear news of Michael's return from a friend or relative and not the net or news?

Advertisement

#2 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:15

This is one of those threads, where I like to know where and what your reaction was when you read the news from a website or heard it from a friend/or saw it on a news channel.

I want to know specificially the first reaction of yours?

Try to be honest to gather some truthful representation of our reactions.

I read the news from autosport, I saw the picture on the left hand side of Michael, and words Schumacher to return to f1 in Spain. And I was totally shocked, my first reaction was to call my Uncle and anyone who's interested in motorsport. Bascially spread the word. After reading the most shocking news, I thought here we go again, the readers comments forum is going to go insane.

Did anyone hear news of Michael's return from a friend or relative and not the net or news?

In you thread !! :lol:
I guess I am out of the information loop

shaggy

#3 Calorus

Calorus

• 4,062 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:18

Autosport.com

"Oh, cool."

#4 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:25

In you thread !! :lol:
I guess I am out of the information loop

shaggy

:up:
I guess there could be quite a few people out there who just returned home from work and went to sleep and haven't read today's news or just woke up now. :smoking:

:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:
:up: :up: :up:

Autosport.com

"Oh, cool."

Very precise :up:

Edited by SeanValen, 30 July 2009 - 02:28.

#5 Ultra150

Ultra150

• 632 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:47

A forum other than this one.

I was not surprised and look forward to seeing how he does.

#6 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:20

was looking at the F1 news section of my iGoogle page and there it was.

I felt very happy as well as a bit surprised cuz I thought Willi had already said no

It is a good thing for everyone and Massa will know Schumacher will not try to keep the seat when he is ready to return.

It is sad that Massa got hurt but it did create the perfect chance for a Schumacher return

#7 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:22

The third thing i thought was that SeanValen will explode with joy

#8 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:25

Any one gonna use their "Fear the Return" avatar

#9 nja

nja

• 472 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:27

I am in Australia - and have been an MS fan since he started in F1 - so yes, I am a little excited.

Late yesterday, during some email traffic with the boys they were talking up rumours of the MS super-sub possibility. I said words to the effect "sorry to burst your bubble boys, but Willi Weber has denied it outright. Will probably be Gene in the F60".

As it happens, me and 6 of the lads had already booked the Singapore F1 weekend a few months ago. So we were already excited about Mark Webber's recent form and a possible tilt at the title, or a least a possible race win in Singas. Anyhow, late last night, one of the lads sends me a text saying "we need Michael racing in Singapore - get in his ear". As a joke i replied "OK, I will have a word to him tonight".

I then pretty much went to bed and thought nothing of it.

Woke up at 5.40am to go on a gruelling run in the freezing cold (and in the dark) with my military buddy, as we have started a fitness regime. Get back from the run about 6.45am, absolutely shagged, but thought i would quickly jump on to Autosport to see the BMW fallout overnight. Like Valen, all i saw immediately was the red of Schuey's helmet and the caption about his return. My jaw literally dropped and i started pumping my first in silence (i have 3 little kids - all asleep so did not want to wake anyone). I immediately sent about 10 text messages to my mates (notwithstanding the time of day!). As soon as i heard my wife get up i ran in and told her - like some little kid on Xmas day!

Several hours later, still pumped up! As much as I really like Felipe, I am secretly hoping he does not rush back to the cockpit until at least after Singapore!

Some of my mates were not Michael fans (some old Damon Hill, Mansell diehards), but the reaction has been amazing - they are all super pumped up! I guess there is nothing like nostalgia to get people going.

As i said in another thread, if he at least runs close with Kimi - then his return can be considered successful. But deep down I am hoping for a win.

#10 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:37

I get this feeling SV is comparing MS return to moonlanding. :lol: "Where were you when you heard about it?". I understand,this is more important.MS :up: I heard it from here.

#11 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:41

Clock radio woke me up with the sports news, 6 am...

Reaction?

1. Cool!
(not a fan, but hey, a little more grade A history is a cool thing to add to the pot)

2. Oh well, there goes all the "who will sub for Massa" threads.

3. Thinking back to Mario putting the Ferrari on pole at Monza, this should be something to see (:

Edited by Murl, 30 July 2009 - 05:42.

#12 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:51

I was doing a hooker and it came on the radio!!!!!!!!!!! I almost pee'd inside her until I remembered what I was doing.

Oh, this announcement is the equivalent of remembering where I was when Princess Diana died! :rolleyes:

/silly thread, this aint earth-shattering news.

Edited by Turbo4, 30 July 2009 - 05:52.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:31

Here, oddly.

I hadn't seen much of the BB most of yesterday because we were shoulder deal in BMW Quit work, so I gave the forum a quick scan when I got home just after 5. The most recently started thread was the original announcement from the Gazzetta flash story. Through sheer fluke our Italian correspondent was around and I showed it to him and he confirmed that it was legitimate. So the two of us told the editor and in under 5 minutes the majority of the autosport.com team had congregated in our private chatroom and were putting together the basic framework of the story when Ferrari and Schumacher's own website confirmed the news. So after Gazzetta and this BB, we beat the English speaking world to the story by a few minutes while everyone else was scrambling to read our story and then get it confirmed.

It was definitely one of those "what the hell?" moments because usually you get a tip off that there will be an announcement later in the day (ie everyone knew there would be a BMW announcement the evening before) but this came out of nowhere.

#14 arcwulf7

arcwulf7

• 2,580 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:39

I just heard the news right now, here, which shows you how far i've drifted from F1 since the days i used to scrounge for every piece of rumour, and personal and technical profile i could lay my hands on it.

If i was advising Michael, and he hasn't called me yet for my advice, i'd tell him DON'T do it. You retired gracefully, uninjured, in winning form and with a billion dollars in the bank and very few athletes have the privilege of doing that. There are no second acts in sports, ask Lance Armstrong, or Brett Favre. You end up embarrassing yourself and sniping with youngsters who resent your coming in and taking their shot at glory.. and you might end up hurt.

This is still a sport, and Michael is 40 years old, in a discipline that requires the split second reactions of someone in peak form. I don't expect this will end happily.. for Michael or Ferrari.

Edited by arcwulf7, 30 July 2009 - 06:52.

#15 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:43

I was doing my best Kimi impersonation and having a ****!

I then thought:

"I don't remember having carrots today..."

#16 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:57

Here, oddly.

I hadn't seen much of the BB most of yesterday because we were shoulder deal in BMW Quit work, so I gave the forum a quick scan when I got home just after 5. The most recently started thread was the original announcement from the Gazzetta flash story. Through sheer fluke our Italian correspondent was around and I showed it to him and he confirmed that it was legitimate. So the two of us told the editor and in under 5 minutes the majority of the autosport.com team had congregated in our private chatroom and were putting together the basic framework of the story when Ferrari and Schumacher's own website confirmed the news. So after Gazzetta and this BB, we beat the English speaking world to the story by a few minutes while everyone else was scrambling to read our story and then get it confirmed.

It was definitely one of those "what the hell?" moments because usually you get a tip off that there will be an announcement later in the day (ie everyone knew there would be a BMW announcement the evening before) but this came out of nowhere.

My first reaction was certainly that of "surprise" immediately followed by:

"Why?"
"Aren't there any current driver deserving of this opportunity?"
"Another move to promote the circus?"
"Why would Schumi want to risk his sterling reputation?"
"Why is he not a test driver for Ferrari if their own test drivers are not good enough to take Massa's seat?"

The fact is he hasn't driven the F60 and as capable as he is, still, it is a big risk for Schumi. What is Ferrari's objective?

#17 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 435 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:15

I saw the news on CNN. THAT certainly cheered up my morning. :clap:

I sent text messages to some fellow fans and my F1 travel agent. She could definitely use the good news as tickets to gp's were not doing well this year.

Edited by pinnacle racing, 30 July 2009 - 07:16.

#18 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:22

I was at work, bored on my first week back from vacation once again thinking about how to get the career on the right track. I read it on Autosport.com, was pretty indifferent about somethin I see as a nice little PR-trick from Ferrari to at least get some positive headlines this year and then quickly realized that this and other forums will explode with the same kind of topics and posts the coming weeks.

It feels like my life has changed forever .... or something :rolleyes:

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 30 July 2009 - 07:23.

#19 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:26

I heard it first on Jon Noble's Twitter page yesterday afternoon.

Couldn't believe it at first and then the story went up on autosport.com shortly afterwards that definitely confirmed it.

I'm a happy man.
Love him or hate him, he's the one of the most successful drivers ever and is making his comeback in what looks to be an exciting end to the season.

Schumacher vs Hamilton
Schumacher vs Vettel
Schumacher vs Raikkonen

What's not to look forward to?!!

Advertisement

#20 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:29

JFK. the moon landing. diana. jacko. MS...

i actually found out in a very theatrical way - saw the headline on the electronic ticker board that winds around the headquarters of our main rivals while riding through the city on the bus. it was real double-take stuff.

noting that this has extended into a debate: i think this is the perfect opportunity for MS to do a melba without the downside. he's coming in to fill a gap in an emergency situation, against his manager's protestations. it's actually got a james brown throw-off-the-cape quality.

#21 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:37

This forum of course. :)

#22 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:40

I heard it at a party I attended yesterday, a friend called me and told me the good news. Of course, I had a couple of extra drinks just to celebrate..

Didn't expect this at all. I'm surprised at his decision, but still extremely happy to get one more chance to see the man race in F1. Two of my all-time favorite drivers together in my favorite team. MS :up: :up: :up:

Edited by pUs, 30 July 2009 - 07:41.

#23 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:43

I guess there could be quite a few people out there who just returned home from work and went to sleep and haven't read today's news or just woke up now. :smoking:

:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:
:up: :up: :up:

Very precise :up:

Sean, seriously, this is just on the edge news, EXCELLENT :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :smoking:

#24 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:44

I saw it on my local TV, but I ruled it out immediately because that TV station is utter crap, and are reprtong BS

I didnt beleive all this time infact, untill I logged here. now I'm sure

besides, Its good to have that bad ass back, I'm very excited

Edited by brabhamBT19, 30 July 2009 - 07:44.

#25 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:48

Here on the forum!

I was posting that I thought he wouldn't do it,
and why he would and if so why he could do it.

And then somebody posted a link with saying something like : "He does it!"

The link was referring to his website, it was not even on Autosport.com nor on the premiere links on Forix.

#26 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:50

This thread could have only been started by Sean :lol:

First I was happy and excited, then a bit worried about SV's reaction

#27 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:00

i was just having breakfast with the tele on. caught the last few second of the news, then they started playing clips of ferrari f1 cars.

my first thought was "oh no, massa's condition has taken a turn for the worse" why else would they play a montage of ferraris in recent years? in a country where they only mention f1 in the news when webber does well.

then i realised it was a montage of schumi, and quickly realised this meant he is coming back. i quickly checked autosport on my phone and confirmed it...

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:01

"Why?"
"Why is he not a test driver for Ferrari if their own test drivers are not good enough to take Massa's seat?"

The fact is he hasn't driven the F60 and as capable as he is, still, it is a big risk for Schumi. What is Ferrari's objective?

It was a simply solution really, Gene and Badoer have no experience in these cars so why pick them? I thought they might do something crazy like take Bourdais or Piquet since they've driven this year's cars, but if you were going to take someone 'new' I can't think of anyone better for the role.

#29 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:03

On the BBC news ticker.

#30 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:03

Love him or hate him, he's the one of the most successful drivers ever and is making his comeback in what looks to be an exciting end to the season.

Schumacher vs Hamilton
Schumacher vs Vettel
Schumacher vs Raikkonen

What's not to look forward to?!!

How quickly things change in an F1 season... first thoughts don't include Schumacher vs Button and Brawn!

I didn't used to like him but that has faded now and to have Schumacher back for a handful of races is going to be intriguing. The feeling I get about the Ferrari team is that Michael will be more committed than Kimi, which is a shame.

#31 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:06

I heard it on the BBC news on the radio last night, it was their lead sports story.

I'm not a fan, but my first reaction was good on him, I hope he does well.

#32 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:07

On here on page three of the schumi's back thread.

Despite the fact that I hated the guy when he was racing I got all giddy and excited.

#33 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:25

My first thought was, I hope Willi Weber put money on MS not returning.
200% sure? How wrong can you be?
I take it they´ve parted company, but I bet he still wants his cut. :rolleyes:

#34 saberskunk

saberskunk

• 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:28

twitter and shock

#35 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:41

On the breakfast commerical radio programming and their excellent news segment.

Schumacher was a logical replacement as is. Interested to see the reaction of the anti-Schumis on Austosport forum.;)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 30 July 2009 - 08:42.

#36 Ampersand

Ampersand

• 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:43

On the forums. Thought you'd all lost your minds, so checked Autosport to make sure! Then wrote a left a little "SCHUMI IS BACK!" note on my mum's laptop so she'd know when she woke up. :)

Edited by Ampersand, 30 July 2009 - 08:45.

#37 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:43

My first thought was, I hope Willi Weber put money on MS not returning.
200% sure? How wrong can you be?
I take it they´ve parted company, but I bet he still wants his cut. :rolleyes:

Have they (parted) ?

No doubt there is something exceptional going on, actually Weber's statement sounded sensible at the time, and in
line with what most people would have expected.

I mean, how many really thought he would do it, fan or not? Hell, even Sean Valen was taken by surprise! :p

And yet...

#38 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:51

Have they (parted) ?

No doubt there is something exceptional going on, actually Weber's statement sounded sensible at the time, and in
line with what most people would have expected.

I mean, how many really thought he would do it, fan or not? Hell, even Sean Valen was taken by surprise! :p

And yet...

The thing is, Webers statement had already been preceeded by one from MS´s "spokesperson", a woman, so obviously WW and MS aren´t a number any longer.
Anyone have any info on their current relationship?

#39 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:57

It was yesterday and I already don't remember where I read it first. Somewhere in the internet.

My reaction was to look at the screen, read the news and then keep browsing somewhere else. :yawnface:

Advertisement

#40 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:57

actually, on a trains news ticker... wierd cos im online most of the day

#41 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:59

"Why?"

Why?

For Ferrari:
- Because he's quick
- Because it's a PR dream

For himself:
- Because he's a competitive individual
- Because he'll make money
- Because he might feel he needs to help the team in this difficult moment

It just makes sense.

#42 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:32

I get this feeling SV is comparing MS return to moonlanding. :lol: "Where were you when you heard about it?". I understand,this is more important.MS :up: I heard it from here.

Yeah, the most important thing since lifeforms went from water to land!

I saw it at a kiosk (newspaper shop) in Hamburg.

It will be interesting to see a comeback Schumi drive against a declining Räikkönen. If nothing else is at stake, it will be reputation, so both of them will be fired up. :lol:

I wish Felipe a speedy recovery.

#43 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:42

It is the moonlanding in relation to what this for Germany, Ferrari fans and many MS fans around the world, if you got something to celebrate, celebrate it. Given the bad news on teams quitting and doing different things, Massa's accident, and sadly Moss's son's accident and death. Eventually with f1, you want something to look forward too, Schumacher has turned 2009 into something about f1 again like it used to be, it's pretty cool.

This thread could have only been started by Sean :lol:

First I was happy and excited, then a bit worried about SV's reaction

Thanks for your concern, I was worried about my reaction as well. :D

The third thing i thought was that SeanValen will explode with joy

I kinda felt some people were waiting for me to announce the news, been pissed at the politics and f1's future at stake, Max Mosely getting more attention then drivers, that's gotta stop, Schumacher took all that away due to circumstances none of us expected, but that's f1.

Any one gonna use their "Fear the Return" avatar

I remember:up:

The Knights of the Old Republic have gone missing: :D

Forumers Foxbat, 40 ft Penquin, J Force and some others haven't been around the RC as much, but who knows what this week will have in store for other forumer comebacks. Out of loyality to MS, whatever careers these people have, they maybe taking holidays and some time off to read forums again for this special occassion, just like old times. :D

I was doing a hooker and it came on the radio!!!!!!!!!!! I almost pee'd inside her until I remembered what I was doing.

Oh, this announcement is the equivalent of remembering where I was when Princess Diana died! :rolleyes:

/silly thread, this aint earth-shattering news.

Of cource it's just a sport, and just a driver, but were f1 fans, and motorsport world commands a reaction, a big one, and MS is huge news sportswise, with all the nonsense of Max Mosely and ferrari quitting, you get the impression some fun was missing, just talking about drivers, and MS is a GIANT, everyone vs MS again, the press, the fans, the drivers, it's complete madness, it is earth shattering news in the motorsport world, make no doubt about it.. Sillyness is a luxuary and a expendable asset in these times. The majority have gone wild :smoking:

Sean, seriously, this is just on the edge news, EXCELLENT :up: :up: :smoking:

Right on the edge of adhesion and picked up a Ferrari Italia in the spiritual gripworld as I slid off the kerbs at the corner of no name at Spa with a newspaper boy painting the rain red in Belgium for SCHUMACHER'S RETURN.

EXCELLENT :up: :up: :up:

It is madness, but good fun, like old times in the forum. :wave:

Edited by SeanValen, 30 July 2009 - 09:45.

#44 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:46

Surely you meant to say Surtees' son and not Moss' SV?

great thread btw :up:

#45 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:46

Here is something for you, Sean:

http://f1.gpupdate.n...10-says-watson/

Enjoy the prospect!

#46 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:29

Just heard it now lol,. first time on net now, and boy am I ex + cited! :D He better win! lololol

#47 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 511 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:30

On a local english news channel......it was scrolling at the bottom of the screen.
Ddnt believe it at first so i checked up on Autosport for confirmation ! :clap:

#48 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:34

This news is as big as the first black US President,

I heard about it, when i was driving back from work, my friend sent me a text message 1 word. "Amazing" i knew what he meant straight away, but until i got home and checked Autosport, i wasn't sure.

I still cant believe it, the messiah has come home!

#49 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:01

Michael rang me the other morning to see what I thought, I thought he was just pulling my leg until Corinna told me about it in the shower last night.

#50 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:03

Michael rang me the other morning to see what I thought, I thought he was just pulling my leg until Corinna told me about it in the shower last night.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

you are able to hear under the shower, with all that noise from the water