Photo

Where did you first hear or read news of Schumacher's return?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#51 kismet

kismet

• 7,068 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:13

I read it in one of the Massa replacement threads here. I thought the person posting the news was taking the piss. It wasn't the highlight of my day but I've got nothing against Michael and I appreciate that a lot of people are more than happy to see him back so it's all good.

Advertisement

#52 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:15

Two nights ago I was (PS3) sim racing on-line in a private lobby and the subject of Massa's replacement came up. I'm probably the only Schumacher fan of that group. We discussed Sabine Kehm's comments and then Weber's comments and tossed it around wondering what would be the final solution.

Yesterday one of my friends from that night texted me on skype that Schumacher WAS coming back. Ironically, I had just seen the Bild article online and I responded to him that I had just heard the same 'rumor' but come on, Bild was a bloody tabloid. But then he texted back that it was on Gazzeta dello Sport. I read the text and I could almost feel all the blood draining out of my face. :lol: I knew right then and there that it was true. While I was trying to log onto autosport, he texted again saying that it was even on MS's homepage.

I was at work but I don't think I got much done for the next 45 minutes. :blush:

#53 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:20

CNN was on .... First I read it on frits van eldik's blog 1st, it but it still wasn't official in the morning, but an hour later it was on CNN, I somehow had that on my tv, ...

I couldn't believe it, punched my fists on the table, took an instant shit and opened up a beer ..... checked or better said double checked it on autosport.com and my worst fear came treu .... it was true....

Years have past, things have changed, but well... I get this old fashioned "oh no" feeling all over again.... but I don't think it's justified. Love to see him being lapped. :smoking:

#54 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:20

Got sms from my father , he'd got the news pretty early on some internet site.

My reaction was extreme joy, excitement, nostaligia, but I was not surprised after having read Lauda's opinion some day earlier on who should take Massa'a seat. I agreed completely with Lauda so was expecting it.

#55 MSf

MSf

• 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:30

Was watching a football match on my laptop and saw the news on TV. Didn't believe it at first so I checked on Autosport.com and it was confirmed.

It was kind of a shock for me but hey, this is a fantastic news. Can't wait for the next race now.

#56 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:31

On the bog reading autosport.

#57 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:49

I first saw it here: http://www.mtv3.fi/u.../2009/07/923119

My first thoughts: Oh crap, the whole team will run around Schumacher like headless chickens and nobody will care about Kimi and his car. It's just for show and PR and Ferrari's results will suffer.

#58 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:56

My first thoughts: Oh crap, the whole team will run around Schumacher like headless chickens and nobody will care about Kimi and his car. It's just for show and PR and Ferrari's results will suffer.

Yeah, isn't it AWESOME!!!

#59 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 15:55

My girlfriend rang me from work to tell me, I said "Cool, whats for dinner"

Advertisement

#60 turin

turin

• 3,043 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 15:58

Funny, when I read it on Autosport my first thought was "Sean is going to go berserk posting " and the second was "oh, the RC will be on fire".

#61 pup

pup

• 447 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 16:48

OMG OMG!!!! It's so funny you ask that because I saw it right here and just thought OMG!!!MICHAEL's BACK!!! and had JUST clicked on the story when my iphone rang and it was my BFF and HE just screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" and I was so glad I had just seen the story because otherwise I would have just thought WTF?!?Michael Jackson?!?, but I knew so then I just screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" TOO!!! and THEN our other friend called and I switched and HE screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!", and I screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!", and so I put us all on a 3-way and WE ALL SCREAMED "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" and I really haven't slept since because I've been checking for updates on his return and I just feel this is such an important moment in history that I just want to be some small part of it, you know???, and hey I don't know if you've seen it but there's a really important topic where we're trying to figure out what helmet he's going to wear—will it be the plain red one, or the one with the chinese letters on the back, or maybe the old white one, because, you know, he only switched because Rubens' helmet was so similar and now that Kimi's helmet is similar maybe he'll change again, or maybe it will be that one he wore at Monza that time, but I think he'll do something really great instead just for Massa—and I just can't describe how excited I am and how great it is to have so many other people here who obviously feel the same way and it's just so great and all and what I really can't wait for is to see what he's wearing when he shows up for practice, because I hope its got dragons on it since I just got finished making my own version of the black denim dragon jacket he wore for the last half of the 2003 season and it looks SO COOL and so what do you guys think, should I start wearing it now or should I wait and wear it for the first time for the race, because I kind of think it will mean more if I wait, but I just don't know if I can, SO WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!??

:rolleyes:

#62 Jardins

Jardins

• 375 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:21

Don't know where I heard it - it obviously wasn't that kind of moment for me.

Reaction: oh no!

#63 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:44

Browsing another forum and seeing that the last thread opened in the motorsport-dedicated section was titled "Schimacher Returns!" My first thought was "What? Impossible!" and checked Autosport and all the other news sites for confirmation.

#64 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,345 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:53

My first reaction was that I thought it was BS.

I still think its a bad idea.

#65 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 18:01

I heard it from forums.

To me his comeback doesn't hurt his status as a F1 legend. I trust him. He would not come back if he felt he is not fast enough and cannot help Ferrari to secure the 3rd place in WCC.

But his antis just use this opportunity to attack him that he doesn't deserve whether he is successful or not. That is what makes me sad.

#66 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 18:26

Autosport.com, and my reaction was disbelief and utter amazement

#67 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 18:32

At least Autosport can now shout "Schuey's Back!" on their front cover, and actually mean it!

#68 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:10

Now I will be on the edge of my chair in the race again.

#69 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:11

The Knights of the Old Republic have gone missing: :D

Forumers Foxbat, 40 ft Penquin, J Force and some others haven't been around the RC as much, but who knows what this week will have in store for other forumer comebacks. Out of loyality to MS, whatever careers these people have, they maybe taking holidays and some time off to read forums again for this special occassion, just like old times. :D

Amen SV! I looked on the BB for the first time in months after hearing this news ... I'm pumped up for F1 again (which I couldn't say for the last few years)!!! F1 hasn't been the same without Schumacher, I'm very excited again!

#70 BRK

BRK

• 3,477 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:15

When I was out,someone called me.

Wasted a whole day-absolutely no work got done.Who cares-Michael's back! YES!

#71 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:24

OMG OMG!!!! It's so funny you ask that because I saw it right here and just thought OMG!!!MICHAEL's BACK!!! and had JUST clicked on the story when my iphone rang and it was my BFF and HE just screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" and I was so glad I had just seen the story because otherwise I would have just thought WTF?!?Michael Jackson?!?, but I knew so then I just screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" TOO!!! and THEN our other friend called and I switched and HE screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!", and I screamed "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!", and so I put us all on a 3-way and WE ALL SCREAMED "MICHAEL'S BACK!!!" and I really haven't slept since because I've been checking for updates on his return and I just feel this is such an important moment in history that I just want to be some small part of it, you know???, and hey I don't know if you've seen it but there's a really important topic where we're trying to figure out what helmet he's going to wear—will it be the plain red one, or the one with the chinese letters on the back, or maybe the old white one, because, you know, he only switched because Rubens' helmet was so similar and now that Kimi's helmet is similar maybe he'll change again, or maybe it will be that one he wore at Monza that time, but I think he'll do something really great instead just for Massa—and I just can't describe how excited I am and how great it is to have so many other people here who obviously feel the same way and it's just so great and all and what I really can't wait for is to see what he's wearing when he shows up for practice, because I hope its got dragons on it since I just got finished making my own version of the black denim dragon jacket he wore for the last half of the 2003 season and it looks SO COOL and so what do you guys think, should I start wearing it now or should I wait and wear it for the first time for the race, because I kind of think it will mean more if I wait, but I just don't know if I can, SO WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!??

:rotfl:

#72 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:37

:clap: Funniest post ever and very succinct, that made my day thank you.

Edited by TwoCents, 30 July 2009 - 21:37.

#73 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:43

You pup, are a genius.

#74 BRK

BRK

• 3,477 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 21:51

People must have brains the size of a squirrel's balls to find that funny and witty.

#75 gluon

gluon

• 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:06

I noticed that "Michael Schumacher" and "Ferrari" were trending in Twitter, did a realtime search and could not believe it. Then I opened www.autosport.com and my jaw dropped like a stone.

#76 slideways

slideways

• 3,312 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:33

I've forgotten already.

#77 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 22:40

I heard it on a Reuters news alert, one of the wire services our team gets.

#78 man

man

• 1,302 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:07

I read it on the bbc homepage. I thought "oh, ok." Didn't bother to read the story.

I was browsing the nostalgia forum a little later. Out of curiosity, I proceeded to check this forum and then couldn't believe the amount of comments that had been generated by this news.

It reminded me of when Diana died. I woke up switched on the box from my bed, saw the headlines that she had died and didnt think anything more of it and fell asleep once again. It was only some days later I realised what an imact it had on other people, and I thought to myself how pathetic the British public really are.

Similarly, i'm now thinking how pathetic some F1 fans are.

#79 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:48

This is one of those threads, where I like to know where and what your reaction was when you read the news from a website or heard it from a friend/or saw it on a news channel.

I want to know specificially the first reaction of yours?

Try to be honest to gather some truthful representation of our reactions.

I read the news from autosport, I saw the picture on the left hand side of Michael, and words Schumacher to return to f1 in Spain. And I was totally shocked, my first reaction was to call my Uncle and anyone who's interested in motorsport. Bascially spread the word. After reading the most shocking news, I thought here we go again, the readers comments forum is going to go insane.

Did anyone hear news of Michael's return from a friend or relative and not the net or news?

I was sitting on a train waiting in Liverpool st, reading autosport.com on my G1. My exact feelings at the time were that I wanted to garrot anyone who works for bloody National Express East Anglia, given the fact that they are striking for 2 days a week for 4 weeks because their PAY RISE isn't good enough. Now because of these bloody selfish gits, I will lose 4 grand because I can't get to work. Where I have been forced to take a PAY CUT, like many people because of the recession, these lazy bastards are moaning about a pay RISE when they don't even need any particular skill to do the job. Jesus, the train drivers don't even need to steer!! So, yes, I will always remember the time I learnt that Michael Schumacher announced his return, because it will cause my blood to boil and think about setting up a facebook group to organise city workers to get together and give striking NEEA workers a bloody good kicking.

Advertisement

#80 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,443 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:15

Was watching BBC1 when my programme was interupted for a newsflash.

Nicholas Owen came on the screen and gave me the big news.

#81 BRK

BRK

• 3,477 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:51

I read it on the bbc homepage. I thought "oh, ok." Didn't bother to read the story.

I was browsing the nostalgia forum a little later. Out of curiosity, I proceeded to check this forum and then couldn't believe the amount of comments that had been generated by this news.

It reminded me of when Diana died. I woke up switched on the box from my bed, saw the headlines that she had died and didnt think anything more of it and fell asleep once again. It was only some days later I realised what an imact it had on other people, and I thought to myself how pathetic the British public really are.

Similarly, i'm now thinking how pathetic some F1 fans are.

Directly proportional to how much you've achieved in life and how much you mean to people.It's easy to rubbish reactions like these and call people pathetic,but if it's something that dopes them up,then why the hell not? Everybody needs inspiration,something that gets them childishly excited regardless of age,profession and affiliation: better that than a vegetable existence,affecting indifference left,right and center...

When we're dead and gone,I'd sure as hell wish I could look back and see millions mourn me.Remember me for what I've achieved.I'm now thinking not everybody shares that opinion.Funny,that.

#82 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:39

Michael rang me the other morning to see what I thought, I thought he was just pulling my leg until Corinna told me about it in the shower last night.

As I said to Corinna in the shower last night, 'Who's that you're talking to, on the other side of the shower curtain? Not that Cheapy, I hope...'

#83 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:47

:rotfl: Like it :up:

So have you decided yet?

#84 man

man

• 1,302 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:17

Directly proportional to how much you've achieved in life and how much you mean to people.It's easy to rubbish reactions like these and call people pathetic,but if it's something that dopes them up,then why the hell not? Everybody needs inspiration,something that gets them childishly excited regardless of age,profession and affiliation: better that than a vegetable existence,affecting indifference left,right and center...

When we're dead and gone,I'd sure as hell wish I could look back and see millions mourn me.Remember me for what I've achieved.I'm now thinking not everybody shares that opinion.Funny,that.

:rotfl: :rolleyes: What ever rocks your boat I suppose. :lol:

#85 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,856 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:53

:up: :rotfl:

#86 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,967 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:40

Amen SV! I looked on the BB for the first time in months after hearing this news ... I'm pumped up for F1 again (which I couldn't say for the last few years)!!! F1 hasn't been the same without Schumacher, I'm very excited again!

Reading the latest news, Bernie menstioned even he was surprised at MS's comeback, and Bernie menstioned Wili Weber was definately surprised.

Ferrari president Luca we got to thank then for being a force in luring MS back.

It seems Schumi caught even some of his own people off guard, what a surprise they were surprised like us.

I'm quite interested in hearing what Michael's manager thought when he heard MS was going to be racing in Spain or trying too, after he said 200% it won't happen. And even though Bernie was surprised he said, I would like to know the exact moment he heard the news, and I think we might get more info on that. It's good to know it was a shock for higher ups in the sport as much as it was for fans.

:smoking: :smoking:
:up:

:up:

Valencia GP is the most important weekend of 2009 in motorport world wide, one man can make a difference, his name is Michael Knight Schumacher :smoking:

Edited by SeanValen, 04 August 2009 - 14:44.

#87 Mr M0by

Mr M0by

• 523 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:52

I received a text from my partner at 18:00 as I was closing my store. A couple of staff gathered round to hear the news when I told them I had received a message from her....

At this point she was due to give birth. 2 days overdue in fact.

The message read: "Word on the street is Schumacher is back at Ferrari!". My colleagues didn't share my excitement. :)

I got home to discover that she was actually having contractions only 5 minutes apart at that stage but obviously she felt the Schuey news would get me home quicker! :lol: Our 2nd child was born later that night. The subsequent usual baby announcement texts were preceded with the "Amazing news! Schumacher is back for Ferrari. Oh and we've had a baby boy etc etc". Well that was for my friends with an interest in sports. I'm not sure that her mum would have seen the lighter side to it though. :)

Anyhoo mother & baby are home now, the child is named Elijah & we're yet to agree if there are any middle names but I'm working on Tottenham/Ferrari conncetions as best as possible. Mind you after our first son, Sebastien was born 3 of them have turned up in F1, so if an Elijah makes it, you'll know why!

Oh & I've since booked my flight/hotel/tickets for Monza! :clap:

Edited by Mr M0by, 04 August 2009 - 14:53.

#88 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 16:10

Well i went on holiday when the hungarian GP weekend was on so when i got there an saturday i had no clue what had happened to Massa. So when i went to watch the race on sunday i was surprised to not see Massa on the grid and then found out what had happened. After that i went to check the internet over my mobile once a day and so the news came and ofcourse every austrian and german tv station i could find was reporting of it.