'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#451 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 133 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 23:55

Originally posted by Billthekat

The acceptance of the Abode Acrobat portable digital format (pdf) seems to be the standard for the foreseeable future and is compatible for the conversion of materials already on mircofilm or microfilche.

Unfortunately, in softwareland, the 'forseeable future' is usually about three weeks.

When I want to read a book that was published a hundred years ago all I have to do is open the book & put on my glasses. If I want to look at something I filed away electronically fifteen years ago I have to find a PC equipped with a five and a quarter inch floppy drive and which still has Wordstar 3 installed.

There's a very interesting article on digital file longevity here:

http://www.dpconline...llongevity.html

And I guess 'microfilche' (as opposed to microfiche) was a slip of the finger but it's a wonderful word. It conjurs up images of Johnny Cash's Cadillac - One Piece at a Time

Advertisement

#452 Runner

Runner

• 312 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 00:15

Just as a point of interest, the Newspaper Collection of the British Library on Colindale Avenue in London (http://www.bl.uk/cat...newspapers.html) has complete collections of Motor Sport, Autocar, Autosport, etc.

Its an excellent resource and for many, easier to get to than Beaulieu.

#453 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:41

Originally posted by Geza Sury
I've been thinking about subscribing MotorSport for a while now, but as I still have plenty of books to read, I haven't made up my mind yet. Would I be the very first subscriber from Hungary?;)

I subscribed yesterday :blush: I was informed I would receive my first copy in 8 weeks time at latest : Hopefully it will arrive sooner!

#454 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:01

I subscribed yesterday :blush: I was informed I would receive my first copy in 8 weeks time at latest : Hopefully it will arrive sooner!

Good on you! You'll have only been given the very worst case scenario for delivery - that is that the May issue will be your first. I would think that you'll probably make the April issue, which mails from the UK around the 15th of next month.

Stuart

#455 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:46

Originally posted by Stuart_Forrest
Good on you! You'll have only been given the very worst case scenario for delivery - that is that the May issue will be your first. I would think that you'll probably make the April issue, which mails from the UK around the 15th of next month.

Stuart

Thanks a lot Stuart, I've sent you a PM. To say I'm very much looking forward to getting hold of my first issue is an underestimation ;)

#456 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 17:43

I definately would be interested in purchasing back issues of Motor Sport on CD or DVD like you can with the National Geographic.

I also would like to see a compilation of articles published such as "X-ray spec" or track tests or similar topic subjects, like Brooklands or Unique books does.

#457 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 19:49

It arrived! (Although unfortunately the spine got damaged a bit :) I only flicked it though quickly and read a couple of articles, but I must admit I'm impressed. It seems subscribing Motor Sport was one of the best decisions I've recently made :love: The Jack Brabham interview is both interesting and entertaining and I learnt a lot from the Ferrari Indycar article. Also read the editor's note and I was surprised to learn that he is younger than me :eek:

#458 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 19:55

...read the editor's note and I was surprised to learn that he is younger than me

I think he is probably younger than all of us! And possibly even younger than some of our children!!!!

#459 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 20:28

I loved the Jack Brabham interview - Four or five lines of question and one line, or even one word, answers. :up: (I appreciate Doug Nye's biography all the more, knowing how he must have had to drag blood out of a stone)

And no two-car tests :up:

17 pages on historic racing - 5 pages too many. :down:

Unlike some, I like Roebuck :up:

The editor calling the magazine MotorSport when it has always been Motor Sport! :down: :down:

The young man who's editor has shaved and combed his hair for his photo. :up: :up:

In total - I'm not moving to Octane yet. I can still read their single good article in WH Smith before I get chucked out. But Motor Sport takes a bit longer so I subscribe (still)

But how come my local Asda and Tesco stock Land Rover magazine, but not MS :confused:

Advertisement

#460 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 21:20

Really enjoyed this month's issue. Stewart on Rindt was quite moving.

And the photographic selections from Robert Daley's book "The Cruel Sport" are terrific. It says this is being re-issued soon, and I'll definitely be buying it. Anyone have the original?

John

#461 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 22:14

Well I hate to say it Barry, but Damien is older than I am. Only by a few months, but older nonetheless!

I'm glad that some of you liked the issue. Actually I did too. I loved the Rindt article and Nigel's piece on Sid Watkins was fantastic. As publisher I don't get to see everything before it goes to press, so I still have the luxury of being able to enjoy the magazine as a reader.

Next month is shaping up well. Apart from the (very) welcome return of Mr Doug Nye to our pages with an interview with Stirling Moss on his Jenks' aided 1955 Mille Miglia win, we'll be reprinting Jenks' account of the race as a stand alone supplement. Yes I know that we did this 10 years ago for the 40th anniversary, but it is a fantastic document and not everyone who reads the magazine will have been doing so 10 years ago.

As for Land Rover Owner, well it sells more than 50,000 copies so will be in more stores than Motor Sport. There is also a degree of local autonomy when it comes to title selection - maybe your local store manager is a "Landy" enthusiast...

Geza (did I get it the right way round?) - apologies for the damage to your copy. We're rather at the mercy of several postal services I'm afraid. If it is a real problem then let me know and I'll send you a clean and unblemished copy with our compliments.

#462 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 23:22

Damien is older than I am.

Oh gawd!!!!!

#463 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:09

Originally posted by JohnS

And the photographic selections from Robert Daley's book "The Cruel Sport" are terrific. It says this is being re-issued soon, and I'll definitely be buying it. Anyone have the original?

John

Yes,63 shillings in 1963.

#464 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:31

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the Sunday Times increase to £1.50. Probably issue dated Feb 27th: they normally go up about 2 months after The Observer. So that'll cover any loss on the DVD in an issue or two.

Heh - I was three weeks previous! Seems they were waiting till the Sunday Telegraph put their price up ....

#465 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:32

Originally posted by JohnS

John

I'm in agreement . The last two issues have both been excellent, although the Niki Lauda interview left me wanting more. Sir Jack wasn't giving much away though :)

Paul

#466 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:15

Sir Jack wasn't giving much away though :)

Indeed. As you'll be aware, Sir Jack is somewhat hard of hearing, so it was decided that the best way to conduct the interview was by email. What you read is the result of combining of one of motor racing's less effusive characters and a medium not exactly conducive to verbosity. In the end we just thought that the one word answers gave such a marvellous insight into the man that it made for great reading anyway...

#467 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:24

Originally posted by D-Type
17 pages on historic racing - 5 pages too many. :down:

Seconded :up:

#468 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 20:20

'17 pages on historic racing - 5 pages too many. '
How was it five pages too many? I like it.

#469 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 20:38

Am I alone in thinking that this is becoming nothing more than an advertisement for buying (if you can find it anywhere), or subscribing to Motor Sport magazine... :down:

What the hell is going on with TNF these days... :confused:

#470 billthekat

billthekat

• 337 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 21:04

What the hell is going on with TNF these days... :confused:

Not sure that you would get much of a consensus as to an answer for that question.....

Personally, I am finding it a bit of a muddle here at TNF -- I have finally stopped trying to check each thread out (recent events have convinced me that this is a way to avoid much heartburn and heartache) and find that it is easier to not pay it all that much attention to most of it these days. I now pick and choose a bit more carefully as to what might be of interest and this leaves lots of open time to do other things.

I did re-up with Motor Sport/ MotorSport this past week, but generally out of some sense of obligation since SF does have the moxie to drop in here and deal with this mob. When they correct the Myth of the 1933 GP of Tripoli then I will believe....

#471 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 23:15

Originally posted by billthekat

When they correct the Myth of the 1933 GP of Tripoli then I will believe....

I rather thought that Bill Boddy did that (in his own gentle way) in the September 1969 issue.

#472 billthekat

billthekat

• 337 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 23:39

I rather thought that Bill Boddy did that (in his own gentle way) in the September 1969 issue.

And he was, to say the least, ignored if the last article in the magazine on this topic is any indication. Then again, no one seems to feel compelled to actually do any in-depth research or at least conduct a serious search of the literature in certain areas since the attitude is often, "Who would dare question this since it appearing in the pages of this esteemed magazine?" One of my favorite soapbox issues and one I doubt I will see rectified in my lifetime on the pages of said magazine.

#473 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,952 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 00:41

Originally posted by billthekat
.....When they correct the Myth of the 1933 GP of Tripoli then I will believe....

As Don says, there is no excuse for this...

A genteel squishing by Boddy just doesn't cut the mustard, and that's proved by their own later article. It needs to be authoritatively done, references noted and facts wholly exposed. Put the lid on it forever.

#474 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,028 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:51

I think WB's was more than a gentle squishing, but you can make up your own mind.

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=11800

#475 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:43

Originally posted by Gary C
'17 pages on historic racing - 5 pages too many. '
How was it five pages too many? I like it.

Agree there Gary,maybe 5 pages more would be good? Less pages on old road cars which are covered by other magazines?

#476 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,952 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:32

Originally posted by Roger Clark
I think WB's was more than a gentle squishing, but you can make up your own mind.

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=11800

Maybe not altogether gentle, but it still got ignored!

#477 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 18:01

Geza (did I get it the right way round?) - apologies for the damage to your copy. We're rather at the mercy of several postal services I'm afraid. If it is a real problem then let me know and I'll send you a clean and unblemished copy with our compliments.

Thanks a lot Stuart. (Yes, you've got my name right!) The damage is actually not too bad, but thanks for your offer. I would contact you if the following issues sustain more serious damages.

#478 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 20:14

Just want to "big up" the May 05 issue, which may be the best Motor Sport I have ever read - and I'm not just saying that cos DCN contributes an article about Moss at the Mille Miglia in 1955 (which, despite it being well trod ground, STILL contains new info).

It has an interesting piece on Jan Magnussen, tribute to Lloyd Ruby, a Heseltine track test on a Reo Special from Argentina (shedding some light on a total unknown area for me), Bill Boddy on unsung hero Chris Staniland, Teddy Pilette on his 1 GP, a secret Group S Audi and more fascinating Mille Miglia stuff...lots of :up:s for me.

#479 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 20:34

Full marks for this month's (May) edition.

It's a pity that even WB (or possibly a sub-editor) now refers to it as MotorSport.

Advertisement

#480 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 20:38

I don't think I have even seen the April issue as of yet now that you mention it....

#481 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 20:46

Originally posted by ensign14
Just want to "big up" the May 05 issue, which may be the best Motor Sport I have ever read - and I'm not just saying that cos DCN contributes an article about Moss at the Mille Miglia in 1955 (which, despite it being well trod ground, STILL contains new info).

It has an interesting piece on Jan Magnussen, tribute to Lloyd Ruby, a Heseltine track test on a Reo Special from Argentina (shedding some light on a total unknown area for me), Bill Boddy on unsung hero Chris Staniland, Teddy Pilette on his 1 GP, a secret Group S Audi and more fascinating Mille Miglia stuff...lots of :up:s for me.

Oohhhhhhhhh I'm going to run to my mail-box

#482 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 20:54

Originally posted by D-Type
Full marks for this month's (May) edition.

Yes, a really good issue. But no full marks from me until the cover returns to its proper colour.

Surely the supplement could have been green, at least?

#483 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,952 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 21:48

.....a Heseltine track test on a Reo Special from Argentina (shedding some light on a total unknown area for me)....

Now that sounds good!

#484 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 22:17

Thanks for the kind words - I'm sure that Damien and his team will take compliments here as high praise indeed.

It would appear that some UK subscriber copies were sent without the supplement :confused: . To the best of our knowledge the problem was restricted to a very small number of copies, however if yours was affected then please drop me a PM and I'll have a replacement sent to you. Whilst overseas subscribers won't receive their copies for a few days, the same applies there too.

#485 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:54

Originally posted by David Beard

Yes, a really good issue. But no full marks from me until the cover returns to its proper colour.

Funnily enough there is a letter therein requesting a green cover...

Also in the letters one from John Sheldon on Gartner's accident, basically stating something must have gone at the rear of the Porsche.

#486 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:06

Originally posted by David Beard

Surely the supplement could have been green, at least?

Its a given that the maximum achievable is nine tenths until they get the name and colour right so full marks means a score of 9.  ;)

#487 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 00:48

Also in the letters one from John Sheldon on Gartner's accident, basically stating something must have gone at the rear of the Porsche.

Yes; interesting that.

John says he distinctly remembers "a single long tyre mark..."

Not intending in an way to be disrespectful to John - who was one of my earliest contacts on the 'comic' - but when I went back there for the F3000 race (much to my own disbelief) some three months later, there were still three tyre marks clearly visible. And this on a heavily used public road. Before you ask, there was no mistake...

Having said that, it's worth remembering that John was seeing the scene from low-down and at night. Sadly, the conclusion is still the same; suspension or gearbox failure.

#488 john aston

john aston

• 820 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:59

Excellent issue I agree. I do hope that future issues can also contain proper long interviews- the Moss piece was fascinating.As I have said - here and elsewhere - there is an appetite for in depth interviews and I'd love to see more of them - at the expense of soundbite fluff and too many pictures.Apart from pictures of the Targa Florio - it is impossible to have too many of those.One of my biggest regrets is not having seen the Targa in its heyday- but pocket money or student grant would not have stretched quite so far. In fact they usually didn't stretch much further than Rufforth. Ho hum.

#489 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,028 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:25

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the arrival of Marcus Pye in the latest issue. Most welcome, and hopefully the start of a regular column.

#490 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 15:00

Proof reading needs a look at. I cannot believe that Doug actually wrote that Stirling has peripheral VERSION ! :lol:

Overall, though, a good issue. I would have liked a green cover for the Mille Miglia insert, too.

#491 Macca

Macca

• 3,336 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:05

Yes, this is a good issue - but I notice that the preview for the next issue mentions an article on Mike Spence (very welcome as long as it adds to and doesn't miss anything from, the article in about 1986) and another on best/worst racing films.

Now, of course, there can only be one contender for best movie..........no doubt the valued opinions of TNFers and the many out-take photos here will make that clear................... :blush:

Paul M

#492 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:41

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Boor
Proof reading needs a look at. I cannot believe that Doug actually wrote that Stirling has peripheral [B]VERSION ! :lol:

Barry - your faith is misplaced. I am not worthy. I HAD typed 'peripheral version'.
Oh b------. :blush:

Your first point, however, remains good while the supplement photo captioned as showing "Peter Garnier of 'Autocar' " doesn't show him at all - the bloke in question actually being Bernard Cahier - who was relentlessly keen to get in on the act by positioning himself with the great race winners in front of the assembled photographers.

DCN

#493 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:51

Originally posted by Roger Clark
hopefully the start of a regular column.

It is exactly that...

#494 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:57

Originally posted by john aston
One of my biggest regrets is not having seen the Targa in its heyday- but pocket money or student grant would not have stretched quite so far. In fact they usually didn't stretch much further than Rufforth. Ho hum.

Neither did mine! So what about a major feature article in Motor Sport about this place where several of us mis-spent part of our youth (I'm not holding my breath)?

#495 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:13

Sadly my copy hasn't arrived yet :(

Does the DVD sub start with this issue ?

Paul

#496 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 17:26

Originally posted by Macca

Now, of course, there can only be one contender for best movie..........no doubt the valued opinions of TNFers and the many out-take photos here will make that clear................... :blush:

You don't mean.... "Speed Lovers" do you? :lol:

(and I know which one you mean ;) )

#497 john aston

john aston

• 820 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 18:14

I would much rather read a piece on the legendary Rufforth than another top 50 greatest sportscar drivers ever. I have v fond memories of watching Tony Dean annihilate the poor sods in their U2s and Sevens in his 908 .But I am a provincial Yorkshireman...

#498 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 00:48

Thanks for the kind words - I'm sure that Damien and his team will take compliments here as high praise indeed.

It would appear that some UK subscriber copies were sent without the supplement :confused: . To the best of our knowledge the problem was restricted to a very small number of copies, however if yours was affected then please drop me a PM and I'll have a replacement sent to you. Whilst overseas subscribers won't receive their copies for a few days, the same applies there too.

My copy via EWA-US arrived yesterday. No supplement. EWA said
something to the effect that they didn't get any and have queried UK about it.

At least they didn't ignore my note, as they did the one complaining
the November issue never arrived.

Never? No, never.

Never again.

--
Frank ess

#499 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 13:46

Hmmm, didn't received my copy yet in Atlanta, GA... I'm going to check later today.

Advertisement

#500 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 14:27

Today it reached the dutch readers. :| It looks like a very good copy! I am of reading...