4174 replies to this topic

#601 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 17:39

Originally posted by David Beard

Not the best issue this year.

I agree.

I'll restrict myself to one moan, the "You were there" section. If the pictures are worth printing then surely they should be printed at a decent size?

Advertisement

#602 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 20:50

WB's column contains one glaring howler, claiming that the 1947-53 F1 was for 2.5 litre unsupercharged cars and 4.5 litres blown. He also seems not to appreciate that Eoin Young's latest book includes the word summer in the title because it starts in the Austral summer and continues into the European summer. Finally, he claims that Ruth Ellis was the last person executed for murder: she was the last woman to be hanged but not the last ever.

On a more positive note: I thoroughly enjoyed the article on Amherst Villiers, which taught me a lot I didn't know about that mercurial engineer. Not least his artistic abilities - who here actually knew that:

1 There's a picture of Graham Hill in the National Portrait Gallery?
2 It was painted by Amherst Villiers?

Oh, and for once I actually know what the mystery car is .... as will quite a few TNFers I think ;)

#603 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 21:01

Is there a picture of the painting?
(Still waiting for the current issue here)

#604 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 21:17

There is. I was just hunting for it on the NPG's website, but it's not available there, although two photos are. Here's one of them:

http://www.npg.org.u...&rNo=0&role=sit

#605 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,040 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 21:30

Originally posted by Vitesse2
WB's column contains one glaring howler, claiming that the 1947-53 F1 was for 2.5 litre unsupercharged cars and 4.5 litres blown.

WB wasn't quite that bad!

#606 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 21:33

Thanks, so it's actually a photography :blush:

#607 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 21:57

Originally posted by Pils1989
Thanks, so it's actually a photography :blush:

The Amherst Villiers picture of Graham is actually a painting, but you'll have to wait for the magazine, Toine. The NPG contains both painted and photographic portraits. Here's another rather nice one:

http://www.npg.org.u...&rNo=0&role=sit

and another of The Boy

http://www.npg.org.u...&rNo=1&role=sit

#608 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 22:48

Ok, sorry, got a bit confused with the term "picture" and "painting", thank you!

#609 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 14:10

The Amherst Villiers picture of Graham is actually a painting,

Not a very good likeness, IMO.

John

#610 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 14:51

Just received the July issue :
Wished we could receive british magazines earlier outside the UK!

#611 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,363 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 21:06

Originally posted by JohnS

Not a very good likeness, IMO.

John

Possibly suffers from being a small reproduction, although Graham's tache is shown as slightly less luxurious than normal, which might be part of it. And perhaps his nose is painted a little smaller than in life ... artistic licence? :)

#612 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:00

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
We have discussed the red cover here many times and over at 10/10ths, however I did see on the telly recently an interview with the journalist Jane Moore who has a new book out. She said in the interview, the cover design was to be a pair of purple lips. A well known supermarket chain beginning with 'T' would not stock this book unless the lips were red on the cover. It would appear they have that much power. Same with Motor Sport?

I've got a 31 checkout Tesco locally , they have over 250 magazine titles in the rack , they have never in the 15 years the store has been opened ever stocked 'Motor Sport ' and still do not stock it today even with the bland red cover.

Splendid article on Charles Amherst Villiers, - now that is exactly the sort of piece I want to read.

Stop wasting paper and ink on full page pictures of a drivers face or just a revolving tyre and be more zealous with the red pen editing out waffle and padding, stay efficiently focused on the facts and transfer of hard information. It is improving - but could do a whole lot better yet

#613 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:27

Originally posted by 2F-001
Thinking more generally (not knocking MotorSport in particular - although they have gone completely overboard in this respect) I wonder if the proliferation of bite-sized chunks is a genuine response to an understanding that readers' attention spans have become very short, or is that cause rather than symptom... that is, as a result of nobody being able to write engagingly and in-depth any more?

Grab an early Penguin Classic translation of Herodotos or Tacitus. Loads of main text is relegated to footnote (to keep the main text limited to the main narrative and not to get sidetracked in genealogy or etymology). It's been a technique for a long time. Nowadays it's a reflection of the ease of typesetting if nothing else.

#614 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 16:18

As usual, in the USA, we have to wait a while for the new issue to arrive.

How was the Tasman piece ??

#615 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 13:08

I was pleased to see the BRM P201 get some ink again - I always liked the looks of that car as to me it somehow epitomises the mid-seventies pre-ground effects F1 car design. Having seen, and heard, it race twice also warms me to it. I can't figure out why the 1975 airbox would be an improvement over the 1974 design - the original looked much more integrated, modern, even. I wonder why Jackie Stewart dubbed it 'a tent' - it wasn't too different from the 'Trident' 'box on the 006 Tyrrell, and all modern F1 airboxes actually look quite similar to that of the 1974 BRM P201 - but then again modern F1 cars look to me like creatures that can only live in very dark places at the bottom of a very, very deep ocean...

I also liked the bit about the Fittipaldi F6 - that car just looked awesomely handsome when it was first launched - really elegant. Too bad its performance didn't match its good looks. The chassis structure looked the part, too, with the sides of the monocoque forming the cockpit surround; despite being very narrow it must've been quite stiff for its era.

On the magazine itself, I'd say it was another reasonably good mix and quality of content, but I would prefer less arty and less distorted photos (I'm thinking of the P201 again). Being interested in the nuts'n'bolts of the cars, I'd like to see more overall views of the mechanicals, perhaps body on-body-off shots. Not many of us have an opportunity to see the cars in the metal, so more descriptive shots help us nuts'n'bolt fans no end...a few years back there were some drooling photos of a Lotus 25 and 'Super Cooper' in "The Green 'un"- not arty and expressionistic, but very informative and suitable for study at length.

...and please bring back the green cover. I know - I'm just an Olde Farte...

#616 Omegas

Omegas

• 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 23:19

Originally posted by Stuart_Forrest

If you visit the Audi stand at the Goodwood FOS next week, you'll find a (once only, never to be repeated) green version of the current issue....

(runs for cover)

Btw, if you visit the Audi-museum in Ingolstadt don't miss the shop! They sell original Motorsport-issues from the 1930s! Maybe this is the reason why they insisted on the green special issue, tribute to the old Auto-Union racecars racing in Donington.

#617 Omegas

Omegas

• 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 23:24

Originally posted by Pils1989
Just received the July issue :
Wished we could receive british magazines earlier outside the UK!

Where? I am subscriber of Motorsport via a German magazine-dealer, they provide also subscriptions for non-german subscribers:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X22D4357B

I got the July issue in time (two weeks ago) and the most interesting fact is the price of a complete annual subscription to Motorsport: only ¤ 75! Even UK-pricelevel is higher?!? I don't know the background how they can drop the price so low.

#618 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:12

Originally posted by Omegas

Where? I am subscriber of Motorsport via a German magazine-dealer, they provide also subscriptions for non-german subscribers:

I got the July issue in time (two weeks ago) and the most interesting fact is the price of a complete annual subscription to Motorsport: only ¤ 75! Even UK-pricelevel is higher?!? I don't know the background how they can drop the price so low.

In fact the UK subscription rate is a lot lower - £39.07 (about €56), and the European rate is £46.40 - (about €67). http://www.qssa.co.u...msp&source=why3
More importantly, my magazine arrives in France on the Monday following publication in England, and not two weeks later. I've already read the August issue. Since the magazine is posted in Switzerland, I have no doubt that you would receive the same service in Germany.

#619 swintex

swintex

• 368 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 21:14

I'm just doing the annual completion of the Goodwood FOS satisfaction survey (hoping to win a GRRC membership :rolleyes: ), I got to page 10 and:

Which motorsport magazines do you read on a regular basis?( Please tick up to 3)

And MotorSport isn't on the list! I could pick Auto Express or even Max Power, but not MotorSport.

The survey appears to be hosted at sportinginsights.com which I imagine is just a marketing survey company (I haven't looked them up). Perhaps they haven't done their homework thoroughly, perhaps the FOS team should check their survey commisioning a bit better.

Does seem a trifle odd, maybe you should give 'em a call Stuart.

Richard

Advertisement

#620 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 19:03

Originally posted by Omegas

USA here.
I've received July issue two weeks ago and, last week, I've received the August issue of C&SC (again Ferrari and E Type articles... I'm not going to read it asap!)
So I should get the MS August issue soon...

#621 dmj

dmj

• 1,956 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:58

Well... in that C&SC is a picture of certain Mr. Stuart Forrest with request for readers to make the caption... Worth trying! ;)

#622 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 14:27

Saw that picture:)
A caption in the style of "Stuart being harassed on the phone about the MS green cover by TNFers" but I'm not really good at humor in english! :D

Got my August issue today in the mail!

#623 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,081 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 13:24

I've just noticed this in the Ferguson piece in the August edition: "Given its debut by Jack Fairman in the '61 British GP . . ." But it made its debut a week earlier as a 2.5 litre in the Intercontinental British Empire Trophy.

It's this sort of sloppy writing that annoys me. Journalists are paid to get it right!

It'll be interesting to see if they bother to publish a correction.

#624 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 15:00

OH DEAR!

Motor Sport (September) seems to have moved Longford from Tasmania to New Zealand..... :blush:

Or is it me?

#625 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 872 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:30

Sadly they also have Jim Clark tax exiled in Switzerland.

David

#626 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 14:48

Can I guess that the Tasman article appears in this issue ???

#627 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 872 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:00

No, they were previewing an article in the October issue.

David

#628 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:17

Actually the best issue I have seen for some time. Loved the Oporto photos. Article on Desire Wilson,perhaps the best ever female driver,reveals thst the reason she did not get any further in F1 was her nationality,and the political situalion at the time.No sponsors would touch a South African.

#629 mercw125

mercw125

• 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 17:55

Well for me it just seems to go from bad to worse! I haven't received my September issue of Motor Sport and when I phoned up about it I was told that there aren't any spares and I needed to go out and buy my own copy! My subscription would , of course , be increased by a month but when I pointed out that I paid by Direct Debit and had done for the last 8 years or so did that mean that should I decide to cancel then I'd get a free issue? Nice girl on the phone but couldn't cope with the concept ....

I have been unable to find a copy of Spetember and am now heartily peed off because I was at Shelsley on Sunday and I'm sure they had some spare ones!

Is it really true that the production run is that finely tuned these days - not happy with this situation at the moment.

#630 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,040 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 18:17

The Goodwood article (page 48) quotes Dan Gurney as saying he was there on the day Moss crashed. Is that true?

#631 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 19:18

That's an odd one. I can't honestly think of a reason why they wouldn't have a spare copy, but I'll look into it.

In the meantime, PM me your home address and I'll send one from the office tomorrow. Apologies for the problem.

Originally posted by mercw125
Well for me it just seems to go from bad to worse! I haven't received my September issue of Motor Sport and when I phoned up about it I was told that there aren't any spares and I needed to go out and buy my own copy! My subscription would , of course , be increased by a month but when I pointed out that I paid by Direct Debit and had done for the last 8 years or so did that mean that should I decide to cancel then I'd get a free issue? Nice girl on the phone but couldn't cope with the concept ....

I have been unable to find a copy of Spetember and am now heartily peed off because I was at Shelsley on Sunday and I'm sure they had some spare ones!

Is it really true that the production run is that finely tuned these days - not happy with this situation at the moment.

#632 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 20:06

just to know whats the price of a subscription in north america (montréal canada ) .its never mentioned in the mag . is it really faster?. the august issue was in store last week here in montréal

#633 mercw125

mercw125

• 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:27

That's an odd one. I can't honestly think of a reason why they wouldn't have a spare copy, but I'll look into it.

In the meantime, PM me your home address and I'll send one from the office tomorrow. Apologies for the problem.

Stuart,

Details sent - thanks for your help.

Paul

#634 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 182 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:58

I've been an off-the-shelf reader of Motor Sport for nearly 3 years. The much derided 'new look' seems good to me, and about as good as the old one (though during the 'green cover' era I did used to worry about being in newsagents being seen buying an 'old farts' mag [I'm 29] ). Loved the recent articles on Mike Spence and Tom Pryce - more of these 'known but no so well known' driver articles, please! And from what I've seen on TNF, Publisher Stuart Forrest is a very attentive and accommodating man, and a Top Bloke too!

Mr Forrest, you have a certain long-time future reader here! (My only request is more mentions of David Purley, but then I would :) )

#635 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:00

Thanks for the kind (if undeserved) words.

Philippe, a subscription to Motor Sport costs either $87 or $113 (USD) for 1st or 2nd class mail from our US shipping house in New Jersey. In theory, both should arrive more quickly than your copy will arrive in your local store, but there are bound to be other canadian subscribers here who will give you first hand experience.

Either way, you can sign up at www.britmags.com.

#636 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 15:56

Originally posted by Lec CRP1
................. The much derided new look................

Its a bit like deciding to replace the gold throne in the House of Lords with a stainless steel kitchen chair........." because it looks more modern " which is a pity because the contents inside have picked up under the new editor

#637 mercw125

mercw125

• 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 16:04

Stuart,

Magazine received today - many thanks!

Paul

#638 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,894 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 18:12

I did used to worry about being in newsagents being seen buying an 'old farts' mag [I'm 29] ).

Don't you likewise worry about appearing on TNF? Do you think Atlas sholud have a red logo?

#639 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:19

motorsport September has still not reched this subscriber, it really is frustrating that every month subscribers in the rep of Ireland get their delivery upto 2 weeks later than the shelf. Especially as those in NI get theirs on time.

Advertisement

#640 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 182 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:06

Originally posted by David Beard

Don't you likewise worry about appearing on TNF? Do you think Atlas sholud have a red logo?

No - in this case it should definately be green. Because we youngsters know that we never got to see Hill / Clark / Stewart / (insert drivers of choice here) racing live , and if we want to see a GP, the minimum we'd have to pay is well over £100, and we never etc. etc. Oh, the envy. :

So much past, and so little present...

#641 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,408 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:26

...take an interest in Test cricket - in my decades of following motor sport (while also being a cricket lover) it has never been so stormingly GOOD!!!! Roll on five days of rain at the Oval... :cool:

DCN

#642 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,097 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:28

That certainly must say something about the past several years...

Come on Doug, don't keep it in! And did you get my e.mail a week or two back?

#643 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:29

Originally posted by Doug Nye
...take an interest in Test cricket - in my decades of following motor sport (while also being a cricket lover) it has never been so stormingly GOOD!!!! Roll on five days of rain at the Oval... :cool:

DCN

You've said something I hardly dared to admit, Doug. Absolutely riveting stuff, and quite a shock to someone who last watched cricket in the days of Geofrey Boycott standing at the crease for about 3 days and sending us all to sleep.

#644 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 182 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:49

DCN

I already am a cricket nut - I started watching Test matches avidly in 1992. But that year, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had usually knocked England over twice by Sunday afternoon, so I had to watch some other sport, something equally competitive... :)

Ah, Freddie Flintoff - Preston's finest. How many F1 drivers were born in Lancashire? And Brian Redman doesn't count, as Burnley is virtually Yorkshire where I come from :)

#645 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,680 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:22

Kim Mather, Warren Booth, to name 2.

#646 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,363 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:27

DCN

While I agree with the sentiment behind that last sentence Doug, I'd rather we walloped them fair and square and took the series 3-1! It's certainly been gripping stuff and - most importantly - for the first time in (maybe) fifty years, the Ashes series has been contested by the two best sides in the World. This time, it's truly the World Championship of cricket. :up:

#647 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:45

I already am a cricket nut - I started watching Test matches avidly in 1992. But that year, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had usually knocked England over twice by Sunday afternoon, so I had to watch some other sport, something equally competitive... :)

Ah, Freddie Flintoff - Preston's finest. How many F1 drivers were born in Lancashire? And Brian Redman doesn't count, as Burnley is virtually Yorkshire where I come from :)

Oi. I've lived on both sides of t'Pennines, and Burnley is DEFINITLEY in the Red Rose county.

If you want a Lancashire-born F1 driver, how about Brian Naylor? Born in Salford, even though it's now in Greater Manchester or whatever they call it.

#648 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 14:44

While I agree with the sentiment behind that last sentence Doug, I'd rather we walloped them fair and square and took the series 3-1! It's certainly been gripping stuff and - most importantly - for the first time in (maybe) fifty years, the Ashes series has been contested by the two best sides in the World. This time, it's truly the World Championship of cricket. :up:

And the England side at last also seem to be a bunch of genuinely modest, self-effacing, nice blokes who all give it maximum effort. They look capable of winning at the oval as well .

............now how many copies of Wisden have you got :blush:

#649 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,363 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 14:54

Originally posted by RTH

And the England side at last also seem to be a bunch of genuinely modest, self-effacing, nice blokes who all give it maximum effort. They look capable of winning at the oval as well .

............now how many copies of Wisden have you got :blush:

Only three or four. I haven't bought a Wisden since about 1979!

My cricket library is much smaller than my motor sport library ..... :lol:

#650 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 15:04

Anyone top 25 ?