Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#651 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,757 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 15:40

No, but I have every single Rothmans Football Yearbook ever. And all Autocourses from 1968 barring 1973. [/smug] [/or stupid & broke]

Advertisement

#652 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 15:45

I reckon my run of AutoCourses, 76-93 + '96, must be worth a bit. Esp the 78 one, signed by Mike Keegan ... Not enough to buy me a B42 though, alas !

#653 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,087 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 15:58

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
I reckon my run of AutoCourses, 76-93 + '96, must be worth a bit. Esp the 78 one, signed by Mike Keegan ... Not enough to buy me a B42 though, alas !

1975 was on sale for £195 at Oulton, with 1977 a snip at £185 :eek: . The girl looked really upset when I said I had 1968-2004 complete, and 1968-1980 were bought at ORIGINAL prices. :p

Being an old sod does have advantages :lol:

#654 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 16:17

I have found that my Autocourses are "worthless" !! I have had my 79 and 82 seasons up for sale for months now and not even an insulting offer has come in. I even offered to give Nye's "History of the GP Car 66 to 85" away for free to anyone who would buy both books !!! :eek:

Sad, Sad, Sad !!!

#655 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 16:29

Originally posted by Lec CRP1

Ah, Freddie Flintoff - Preston's finest. How many F1 drivers were born in Lancashire?

Funny, I've lived in Lancashire since 1976 and never heard of a driver by that name....

Flicking channels, I caught some cricket on TV the other day. It seems these days the players are all dressed in blues, greens, and various dark colours. None of the white gear that I remember. Isn't that a bit like Motor Sport changing to a red cover?

#656 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 19:53

Originally posted by Keir
I have found that my Autocourses are "worthless" !! I have had my 79 and 82 seasons up for sale for months now and not even an insulting offer has come in. I even offered to give Nye's "History of the GP Car 66 to 85" away for free to anyone who would buy both books !!! :eek:

Sad, Sad, Sad !!!

No disrespect, but I'm not that surprised. It amazes me how many times we're offered complete (or close to) runs of many years of Autosport, Autocar or the monthlies. They usually end up going free to a good home, and I'm sure that it isn't always a reflection on the content of the magazines.

I do believe that most people who want a complete run of any given periodical usually already have it. We just don't see many people coming into the hobby and wanting to be so "completist" about it.

#657 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 21:31

Now that's the kind of post that will get you a bundle of PMs, Stuart!

Just assume you got mine first? Please?

#658 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,757 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 21:39

Originally posted by Stuart_Forrest
We just don't see many people coming into the hobby and wanting to be so "completist" about it.

*shyly goes :wave: *

I have a theory that men are mildly autistic. Hence the fascination with chassis numbers and Panini football stickers with 544 to collect (the girls' Smash Hits albums only had about 80 cos they got bored after a week) and twitching and completionism, which are almost all male traits. You don't get many women wanting a complete set of Hello, after all.

#659 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 21:49

Hell no...

They don't even want a complete marriage!

Advertisement

#660 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 00:31

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Now that's the kind of post that will get you a bundle of PMs, Stuart!

Just assume you got mine first? Please?

:rotfl: Funny how TNF minds think alike.......

#661 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:40

That's a well documented theory, and I agree. Men do have the potential to obsess about their chosen subject matter far more than the fairer sex.

That said, my wife probably thinks about handbags and shoes more often than is healthy, so maybe it isn't just a male thing. I'd certainly argue that she was attempting to be as "completist" as possible on the subject...

Originally posted by ensign14
*shyly goes :wave: *

I have a theory that men are mildly autistic. Hence the fascination with chassis numbers and Panini football stickers with 544 to collect (the girls' Smash Hits albums only had about 80 cos they got bored after a week) and twitching and completionism, which are almost all male traits. You don't get many women wanting a complete set of Hello, after all.

#662 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:07

Originally posted by David Beard

Flicking channels, I caught some cricket on TV the other day. It seems these days the players are all dressed in blues, greens, and various dark colours. None of the white gear that I remember. Isn't that a bit like Motor Sport changing to a red cover?

........And it's equally nasty.

#663 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:20

Originally posted by RTH

........And it's equally nasty.

And I guess it may well get worse when Sky takes over broadcasting test matches next year. Murdoch has a lot to answer for. He's already buggered up Rugby League by turning it into a summer sport and making the teams change their names to something more trendy. If he ever gets hold of motor racing, well, don't even think about it....although F1 is probably already near enough to what he would want.

#664 fausto

fausto

• 520 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:22

here near Milan I'm still waiting for the september issue, the Milan newsagent where I buy car magazines has still to receive it....

:cry:

#665 SEdward

SEdward

• 837 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:10

Fausto.

I think the very fact that you're near Milan waiting for the latest issue of Motor Sport demonstrates the quality and uniqueness of the publication. Is there no comparable local produce in Italy? I live in France and all I have found is "Automobile Historique", which is full of mistakes and never arrives on time. Sometimes, I don't receive a copy for three months, so I give them a call and the three missing issues arrive all at the same time.

Motor Sport is far from perfect, but I still believe that it's the best of the bunch. If anyone can set me straight, then I'm all ears.

Edward

#666 fausto

fausto

• 520 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:23

here there are some classic cars publications:
-Ruote Classiche from Domus, the editor of Quattroruote
-La Manovella, ASI (an Italian classic cars&bikes prominent association)
-Auto d'Epoca
-Automobilismo d'Epoca
-Autocollezioni
-Grace
and others...

I've found out that Grace is becoming more&more interesting, they are brave to the point that dedicate some space to obscure cars, i.e. do you remember the Chevron B36-based Fortina Lancia Gp.C2? In the last issue they had some pages about that car! Something very special for someone like myself, who's not the typical Ferrari-mad Italian...

:)

#667 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,486 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 13:38

Originally posted by Vitesse2
While I agree with the sentiment behind that last sentence Doug, I'd rather we walloped them fair and square and took the series 3-1!

Couldn't agree more - but another match like the last three and I just won't survive to the end of it....

DCN

#668 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 15:39

Originally posted by ian senior

And I guess it may well get worse when Sky takes over broadcasting test matches next year. Murdoch has a lot to answer for. ..................although F1 is probably already near enough to what he would want.

The broadcasting of contemporary motor sport is already the equivalent of a Norwegian Blue in the bottom of the cage with it's feet in the air.

#669 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 16:57

Originally posted by fausto
here there are some classic cars publications:
-Ruote Classiche from Domus, the editor of Quattroruote
-La Manovella, ASI (an Italian classic cars&bikes prominent association)
-Auto d'Epoca
-Automobilismo d'Epoca
-Autocollezioni
-Grace
and others...

I've found out that Grace is becoming more&more interesting, they are brave to the point that dedicate some space to obscure cars, i.e. do you remember the Chevron B36-based Fortina Lancia Gp.C2? In the last issue they had some pages about that car! Something very special for someone like myself, who's not the typical Ferrari-mad Italian...

:)

can you give us a litle more information about those italian magazines it would be very kind .does some of those magazines have website ?. i dont speak italian but i manage to read it :cool:

#670 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 18:39

I take it Motor Sport magazine will soon be covering cricket......... :rolleyes:

Sorry Doug

#671 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 19:17

Originally posted by RTH

The broadcasting of contemporary motor sport is already the equivalent of a Norwegian Blue in the bottom of the cage with it's feet in the air.

Agreed - but fortunately there are still MotoGP, World Superbikes and British Superbikes for those of us who still remember real racing.

Nowt wrong with the TV coverage there, IMO...

As for cricket, the coloured kit was introduced in the 1970s and is only used for limited-overs games be they national First Class or International matches. Whites (which aren't, and never have been *white*) prevail for four-day county games and five-day tests.

Channel 4 coverage will be sorely missed as team leader Mark Nicholas is absolutely top drawer, and his support cast of Richie Benaud, Mike Atherton, Geoff Boycott, Tony Greig, Michael Slater, Simon Hughes & co takes some beating (even if some of them are intensely annoying, they still provide good value). It'll be interesting to see how many stay with C4.

#672 MCS

MCS

• 3,574 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 19:47

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Couldn't agree more - but another match like the last three and I just won't survive to the end of it....

DCN

Absolutely! :lol:

I would certainly prefer a washout - much less stressful !!!

#673 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 20:12

Originally posted by MCS

Absolutely! :lol:

I would certainly prefer a washout - much less stressful !!!

Is this thread written in code?

#674 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 20:44

I've played cricket twice during a sport camp but I kept doing home-runs and loosing the ball in bushes.
Guess we were a bit liberal with the rules?:D but I sucked at dodge-ball :

#675 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 20:58

Originally posted by Pils1989

I've played cricket twice during a sport camp but I kept doing home-runs...

:eek: Antoine!!!

Wash your mouth out with soap immediately...!

#676 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,897 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 21:58

Seeing that this thread seems to have degenerated into something different, may I just say that for one-day and 20/20 cricket, I LIKE coloured clothing.....

....as long as they leave 4-day and tests in white.

(Anyway, county cricketers may still wear white but they wear numbers on their backs now...

AND...

COME ON, Mr. Beard, don't try and tell us you know as little about cricket as you do football!

#677 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 22:37

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Anyway, county cricketers may still wear white but they wear numbers on their backs now...

...and their names too, plus their sponsors in various places - including on their bats!

But how can we, as motor racing followers, criticise any of that?!

#678 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 22:42

I take it Motor Sport magazine will soon be covering cricket......... :rolleyes:

Sorry Doug

I don't think so somehow - cricket has this sort of image of 'white on a green backdrop'

#679 fausto

fausto

• 520 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:30

Originally posted by philippe charuest
can you give us a litle more information about those italian magazines it would be very kind .does some of those magazines have website ?. i dont speak italian but i manage to read it :cool:

here some:

Ruote Classiche http://www.quattroru...siche/avvio.cfm

La Manovella http://www.lamanovel...vista/index.htm

Automobilismo d'Epoca http://www.automobil...ca?OpenDocument

Autocollezioni Magazine http://www.autocollezionimagazine.it/

Grace http://www.tuttorall...to/graceok.html (it's only a page, not a proper site...)

Advertisement

#680 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:28

Originally posted by D-Type
I don't think so somehow - cricket has this sort of image of 'white on a green backdrop'

Test beds of new Red grass are being grown at Waldegrave Road Teddington , as we speak.........in case there is a red hay market !

#681 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:31

Sorry Doug

How about footy David ??

#682 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:10

and Pit Girl of the Month in the central pages?

#683 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,188 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:20

Originally posted by RTH

Lovely plumage, the Norwegian Blue... :lol:

#684 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:07

It's probably just resting.................there it moved !

#685 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:41

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

How about footy David ??

Some things you shouldn't even joke about.....

#686 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by fausto

here some:

Ruote Classiche http://www.quattroru...siche/avvio.cfm

La Manovella http://www.lamanovel...vista/index.htm

Automobilismo d'Epoca http://www.automobil...ca?OpenDocument

Autocollezioni Magazine http://www.autocollezionimagazine.it/

Grace http://www.tuttorall...to/graceok.html (it's only a page, not a proper site...)

merci. at first sight "la manovella "and "grace" seem to be the most interesting

#687 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,486 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 21:35

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Only three or four. I haven't bought a Wisden since about 1979!

My cricket library is much smaller than my motor sport library ..... :lol:

SORRY - THIS IS A BLATANT ABUSE OF TNF'S REASON-TO-BE BUT (having kept quiet about smashing the brilliant Aussies all summer) I NEED AN EXCUSE TO SAY THIS....

THE ASHES...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blush:

#688 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 23:20

Originally posted by Doug Nye

THE ASHES...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blush:

I'm with you there, Doug! :up: :lol:

(and with no apologies to our Antipodean friends either...!)

#689 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 23:56

My oh my! The Brits seem to be getting far more excited about the Ashes than in my day. I'm old enough to have seen Bradman play and Fangio drive (thus qualifying this post for TNF).

I left for Canada in 1976.

#690 Macca

Macca

• 3,353 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:49

Maybe MS could do a special cover in dark blue with three lions on it.............

:D

Well done, the lads!

Paul M

#691 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,757 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:15

Originally posted by oldtimer
My oh my! The Brits seem to be getting far more excited about the Ashes than in my day. I'm old enough to have seen Bradman play and Fangio drive (thus qualifying this post for TNF).

Bradman was a good driver, though, wasn't he? Cover driver...

#692 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:47

Originally posted by Macca
Maybe MS could do a special cover in dark blue with three lions on it.............

Oooh no, that would be far to stylish and tasteful.

Bradman had a first class average of 99.9 and chose to always hit the ball along the grass through the gaps ........so as to give the opposition no possible chances!

#693 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:08

Originally posted by Twin Window
I'm with you there, Doug! :up: :lol:

(and with no apologies to our Antipodean friends either...!)

Huh! Here's one who would quote that famous line from the famous movie...

No, I don't give a damn.

#694 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:09

Congrats to the 9½ Poms and 1½ South Africans on their defeat of the Aussies.

By the way, you can keep the 1½, we do not need them out here.

...and Oh yes, I again bought a copy of MOTOR SPORT, after several months. Picked up the August edition for a "mere" R44 (±£3,75) at a local bookshop, that compared to the usual R99 (£8,40) that a national franchise charge for this mag. Hope I can get it in future for even less.

It is nothing more than criminal to ask R99 for a magazine!!!

#695 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,573 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:10

But, what did you think of the contents??

#696 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:46

Couldn’t one draw a parallel between Cricket and the Motor Racing of yesteryear?

Cricket remains unique amongst “modern” sports in that the “sport” still takes precedence over the business machinations (despite Murderoch’s best efforts...), and after witnessing the Fiasco at Indianapolis a few weeks back, that’s more than one can say for Bernie’s corporate ego circus where the tail is firmly in control of the dog...

IMHO, Test Cricket must be one of the few last bastions that retain a comparable level of sporting decency to that witnessed in the GP days of Ascari or Hawthorn, and long may it remain so! Roll on the rematch in 14 months time!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now back to our usual programme…bring back the green cover I say ;)

Justin

#697 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,486 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 22:30

I was rather surprised to air my view of Premier league and UK-based international footballers the other day - which goes along the lines (heartfelt) of their being in too many cases nothing more than over-rated, over-rewarded, offensively indisciplined ****!!!!!! - to have a former International racing driver of considerable repute react instantaneously by adding "just like half the drivers in current Formula 1".

Hmm - which half d'you think? - and does this assessment (of F1 racing drivers) stand inspection, or not??? (Twinny - ooh-err - perhaps this should be a separate thread, or should be deleted, what d'you think?)

DCN

#698 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 23:52

Over-rated and over rewarded? Probably. Offensively indisciplined? I hadn't noticed. ****? I would have thought the exploits of some of the Brooklands crowd would far exceed the present day Formula One grid in the **** stakes.

#699 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,084 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:37

Originally posted by RTH

Oooh no, that would be far to stylish and tasteful.

Bradman had a first class average of 99.9 and chose to always hit the ball along the grass through the gaps ........so as to give the opposition no possible chances!

It was his test average that was 99.9. His first-class average was a measly 95.1.

Advertisement

#700 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:26

This is comparing apple with oranges. I wonder how many soccer 'boys' (or should I say kids) would be able to take Eau Rouge flat out in a F1 and keep the seat dry...