'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#951 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 13:30

Originally posted by Stuart_Forrest

I'm about to start a brand new thread soon, which I hope will be taken with the spirit in which it is intended. We're working on a very large feature for next year, and we'd like the collective thoughts and ruminations of TNF'ers for this. I hope that it will engender the sort of friendly and authoritative discussion which best characterises this place.

More soon...

Stuart

Stuart,

Any update on this?

Advertisement

#952 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:32

Talking of freebies with 'Motor Sport', I have just purchased the latest issue of 'Flypast' magazine (old aeroplanes etc etc) & this month it comes with a free CD :

Posted Image

If 'Flypast' can do it, why can't 'Motor Sport' ?
Some of you may know that I produce historic racing videos, I have offered my services to Marcus Simmons, but he's a little busy to chat. We can but hope lads!!

#953 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:39

I don't think it's a question of "can't "Gary !

#954 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:40

ah !!

#955 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:36

Seems like the latest editor would be more inclined to include a CD of XTC and The Clash (not that I'd mind that at all).

#956 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:00

Originally posted by ian senior
Seems like the latest editor would be more inclined to include a CD of XTC and The Clash (not that I'd mind that at all).

I'd mind. I've already got Combat Rock and London Calling, and I can't say that I'd care much for XTC...... ;)

#957 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 17:45

come on lads, it's 'Sandinista' or nothing!!

#958 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,272 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 18:22

I think I raised this in another thread (but I forget which) - the TNF theme song (if not MS's) is actually from a different era, and by Jethro Tull...

#959 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 18:45

'Songs From The Wood' ??

Advertisement

#960 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,272 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 18:47

Not the one I was thinking of...

#961 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 19:48

"Living in the past".

David

#962 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 19:58

of course

#963 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 21:09

At least it wasn't "Thick As A Brick" ;P

#964 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 21:34

Originally posted by ian senior

They're rock bands or groups, right?

I'd certainly mind! I cannot stand the fact that so many people associate motor racing with loud music. You get rock bands at the circuits, you get loud music intros when racing's on TV, same over the PA between races at the circuit. I hate it!

#965 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 13:09

Erm, what happened to the posts between the 21st March 2005 and 1st February 2006 in this thread? They appear to have gone AWOL. The reason I noticed was that I was trying to quote Vitesse and note that he had letter of the month in the March 2006 issue!

#966 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,892 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 14:06

Yeah, he's got to share the prize.

#967 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 17:20

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Erm, what happened to the posts between the 21st March 2005 and 1st February 2006 in this thread? They appear to have gone AWOL. The reason I noticed was that I was trying to quote Vitesse and note that he had letter of the month in the March 2006 issue!

Yes saw it myself this morning, well done RA good stuff.

.................In the words of Tony Hancock,........."Do you get a badge "

#968 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,826 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 17:27

:clap: for TNF. FOUR members are quoted in the March issue.

Vitesse and Little Chris in the Correspondence section and comments from Darren Galpin and Kier in the 'Greatest Grand Prix' feature.

Are we important or what?

#969 mfd

mfd

• 2,878 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 18:49

I wonder if anyone noticed ? In M. Pye's Diary the Lotus BRM H16 was emitting smoke from its exhausts ...

Quote " Four exhausts of H16 puff smoke as Jim Clark blasts off to start the 66 US GP..."

It almost looks like the top two banks of cylinders aren't working then... :rotfl:

#970 Macca

Macca

• 3,313 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 20:44

I wonder who actually wrote that quote...............because in fact it's tyre smoke from the spinning rear wheels.

:p

Paul M

#971 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 22:04

Was ther a pic of a Lotus BRM H-16 with that >
which issue ??

#972 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 22:09

He is obviously a youngster who has never seen tyre smoke from a GP car (they don't spin their wheels, do they?)

#973 Marcus Simmons

Marcus Simmons

• 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:34

Sorry! Caption was written in a rush, right on deadline, with only a small version of the pic visible on the computer screen. :blush:

Why wasn't his traction control working though?!!

#974 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:54

Maybe not enough power ? as the top banks of cylinders weren"t working ?
or else
he forgot to switch it on ?
:D

#975 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:01

Perhaps it wasn't working because he forgot how hard he was pressing the pedal. Brains are funny like that.

#976 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:07

Originally posted by Marcus Simmons
Sorry! Caption was written in a rush, right on deadline, with only a small version of the pic visible on the computer screen. :blush:

Why wasn't his traction control working though?!!

Nice of you to confess like this, Marcus...

I wouldn't recommend you do it to often, though.

I never had that problem when I was writing captions. I always had the original print in my hand (or on my desk, I suppose) when I did that.

Where it all went sour was when the folk in the neg assembly line put it in backwards, in the wrong spot or lost it. I guess that doesn't happen these days?

#977 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,272 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:07

Well done for standing up, Marcus. I'm involved in a magazine and I know how these things can happen from time to time!

Have enjoyed the Johnny Dumfries piece.
I seem to recall him losing vital points in his quest of the Euro F3 title, when he went off whilst chasing a car later believed to be dodgy - the infamous Coloni airbox, which was rumoured to have disappeared before it could be formally presented as evidence. Does anyone know the truth of what went on there?

On an altogether lighter (fluffier I dare say) note, I see this issue includes the phrase 'quasi-Gonzoid'. I wonder if the OED might be citing this as first-usage in a quasi-academic journal? :)
(No offence, I just thought it stood out a bit.)

#978 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:10

I wouldn't be too sorry.........
we had something banter about didn't we ?

#979 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:12

I see in The Complete Book of Formula One on quite some pages they
abreviate "continued" as CONDT......on other pages as CONTD

Advertisement

#980 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 14:54

this appeared on the American Le Mans Series Forums on a discussion on Motor Sport:

"I've read it since 1966. In fact I have several late sixties and seventies issues. It's actually way better now than then....."

What's the opinion of those who have read Motor Sport since the 60's and '70's? Is it better now as this person says?

#981 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 15:22

I have every issue from 1963 to date at home and looking at them the other day I would agree that it is more interesting now than it was then - as a matter of interest there is a GT40 advertised in this issue that has a very vague refernce to Le MAns "was present at 1966 Le Mans" what does that actually mean as it coudl be just at the car park!!!

#982 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 15:26

Originally posted by Lemans
this appeared on the American Le Mans Series Forums on a discussion on Motor Sport:

"I've read it since 1966. In fact I have several late sixties and seventies issues. It's actually way better now than then....."

What's the opinion of those who have read Motor Sport since the 60's and '70's? Is it better now as this person says?

I guess discussion of this will all be very subjective. But you can't really compare because what you might call its "mission statement" has changed. 60s and 70s - a "newspaper of record" of senior-level motor racing events, interspersed with the occasional road car article and lots of vintage stuff. Nowadays - not quite the same. Which is better is a matter for debate and personal opinion.

Style and presentation - well, this is not unlike the discussions we have recently had about Foyle's bookshop. Motor Sport is pretty slick these days -some would say too slick, but not unattractive and certainly better than some of the other comics. In the olden days, it was quirky and even bizarre - ever-decreasing font sizes to cram all the article in, lots of "continued on page 836", even if the continuation bit ran only to a sentence or two, that bloody silly page numbering system so that all pages in a "volume", which ran for a 12 month period, were numbered continuously so that, say, January would contain pages 1-95, February pages 96- 184, etc....and then you would start all over again with the next "volume". The classified ads were always good, though - I was particularly fond of John Britten's works of art, and those for the Portobello Motor Company with their legendary 2CV buyer, the Rabbi Moishe Blenkinsop-ffrench.

#983 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 15:42

the ads are enough to make a grown man cry!! C Types being sold for less than E Types! They are different magazines and make a great reference point but are not as easy a read as the current issues.

#984 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 16:27

Apart from Jenks, of course - who was always readable.

Some of the editor's stances on road safety issues back then are frankly unbelievable in this day and age.

#985 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 471 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 16:47

Originally posted by Ray Bell

They're rock bands or groups, right?

I'd certainly mind! I cannot stand the fact that so many people associate motor racing with loud music. You get rock bands at the circuits, you get loud music intros when racing's on TV, same over the PA between races at the circuit. I hate it!

Ah, for the days when we had Chris Barber performing at Brands....

In fact, the loud music may be there in order to catch the attention of a lot of us older gents
who, like myself, have a hearing impairment after decades of noisy racing cars at close range. (It was worth it, though :) )

#986 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,317 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 16:47

Not yet got my copy in France , the classified ads in the 50's were a wonder, what price Ken Flint trying to sell REMUS at £550 , it was advertised for yonks obviously without success. Who did buy it?It must have been around then that Peter Hull got involved.

#987 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,885 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 17:23

I usually have my copy here in Lancashire before all this starts each month. Should I be worried that mine hasn't arrived yet?

For some reason my subscription is in the name "David Bread". I occasionally get junk phone calls asking for that person........

#988 Paul Butler

Paul Butler

• 71 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 22:52

Originally posted by David Beard
I usually have my copy here in Lancashire before all this starts each month. Should I be worried that mine hasn't arrived yet?

For some reason my subscription is in the name "David Bread". I occasionally get junk phone calls asking for that person........

Mine arrived on Tuesday (I think) and given that the Royal Mail are being fined a grand sum for losing post I'd start to worry!

#989 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,892 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:40

Originally posted by David Beard

I think you knead to call them.

#990 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:02

Couldn't agree more. That could be costing him a fair bit of dough.

#991 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,885 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:23

Originally posted by ensign14
I think you knead to call them.

Originally posted by Vanwall
Couldn't agree more. That could be costing him a fair bit of dough.

I suppose, as a TNFer, I am expected to be a bit crusty.....

#992 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,892 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:19

Doesn't stop you from using your loaf.

#993 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 13:25

You guys are too fast for me - you leave me with only the crumbs

#994 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,664 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 13:46

I feel I have been sliced open! Don't get a cob on! Don't rise to the occasion! Finally I would like to toast all the other posters who have paved the way for my efforts - I don't want to blow my own crumpet but........

On a serious note the latest copy of Motor Sport failed to drop through my letter box this week!

Last month I had the same problem so rang the Subscriptions office and got it sorted. Blow me if they still haven't corrected it! This is getting annoying! :mad:

:rolleyes:

#995 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,024 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 18:01

I think they send them out alphabetically.

Messrs Beard and Boors always seem to get theirs a day before me (I'm an 'R') and Stephen being a 'W' has to wait even longer.

#996 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 18:51

I was thinking crumpet when the crumbs came up...........!!!

The Overseas copies go out first !!!!
Autosport etc ........land in my mailbox the dat after they hit the UK newsstands.

Oof ......is that OK for English spelling ? newsstands or news-stands or newstands ??

#997 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,024 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 21:40

Well, my Oxford Paperback Dictionary has 'news-stand' while my wife's Collins Dictionary (Australian Edition),which is newer, has 'newsstand'.

It certainly isn't 'newstand' as that would be pronounced 'new stand'. I think I would write news-stand.

Over to the experts

#998 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 21:49

OK if it were a Dutch word the same spelling rule would apply.
So I will write newsstand in future.
:D

#999 Lee Shells

Lee Shells

• 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 23:02

Commenting directly on the magazine, as a subscriber I am fully satisfied with content and layout with the exception of the RED cover banner. Despite it being around for some time I still cannot get used to it and note it has a camouflage effect on the newsagent's shelves.

It was a dreadful abandonment of the product identity.

In a similar misunderstanding of brand values I see that the latest Jaguar TV advertising is now on mainstream TV. I first saw this at an Institute of the Motor Industry meeting last November. The room was full of hardened and cynical Motor Industry professionals from Dealer Principals down. Include me in that group as a cynic. The reaction was “what the **** was that about” and “I cannot see what it is selling”

I see that the BBC website carries the Top Gear feature on the Toyota Hi-Lux pick-up. Whatever you think of Jeremy Clarkson and his crew, the feature on that indestructible product truly recognises the strength of that product in a way that the "Gorgeous" Jaguar advert does not. Maybe Jaguar need a bit of forced redirection. With the current state of Ford and their Premier Automotive Group, that may happen sooner than expected although I understand that the Renault bid has been rejected.

Advertisement

#1000 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:45

Is it true (or just a rumour) that its going to be sub contracted out to a new team ??? Perhaps it will now at last be a 100% historic magazine............................comments please Stuart.