4174 replies to this topic

#1151 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:23

Originally posted by bradbury west
The Automobile may have a website.

They used to, but it's closed down. Pity, because they made several years of back issues available for free download. :up: They are now associated with Pre-war Car.com and in due course will no doubt re-emerge as part of that site. At the moment, there's only basic subscription info.

http://www.prewarcar...rom&rev=0&pgr=0

Advertisement

#1152 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:28

Found this, not sure how current it is. The subscription e mail to Brenda Hart used to be valid. Try it or phone her. She may be able to e mail sample copy.

Address: The Cottage, Wood Manor, Seven Hills Road, Cobham, Surry KT11 1ET mediamap photo
Reception - Tel: 01932 864212 Fax: 01932 862430 send a fax
E-mail: brendahart@oldcar-discoveries.com

RL

#1153 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 16:19

May edition arrived today. Still a "Red Top" but next month should see the return to Green.

There seems to be a certain amount of "Humble Pie Eating" going on in the editorial :)

#1154 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 16:29

Still waiting for my promised April issue.

I suspect a balls-up in the subscription department. If I don't get my May issue then they have lost a customer! :(

#1155 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 16:33

I never got the August 05 edition.

#1156 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 18:29

I never got the 2 month extension I was promised personally by the previous publisher when I followed up 2 missing items.... so nothing would suprise me Eric

#1157 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 18:32

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
May edition arrived today. Still a "Red Top" but next month should see the return to Green.

There seems to be a certain amount of "Humble Pie Eating" going on in the editorial :)

Subscription copy arrived at work - on the day I quit my job, let's see how quickly they handle changes of address ;)

#1158 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 18:34

Judging by the subscription page inside it's going to an older style of font as well. :up:

#1159 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 20:17

Still the March issue in bookstores here :down:

Advertisement

#1160 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 00:13

Instead of trying to fill a niche as ““Hello” with Castrol R”, they could always trade a few pages on current F1 / GT against modern classic racing…

To reiterate a point I made earlier, I believe the magazine has to be in touch with tomorrow’s history to have a future; and I say this as someone who’s wholly disinterested in Bernie’s circus.

With its past record, MOTOR SPORT is in a prime position to offer an alternative angle to the modern scene, without compromising the amount, or quality of the historically relevant articles.

Just a thought… Roots and all that…

Justin

#1161 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:47

Blimey, just when I'd decided to knock it on the head, the May edition arrives , and its a really good read all the way through and 130 pages, even a better photo selection and layout, not quite perfect but an improvement.

Hopefully if June is the be the re-launch proper with a more dignified appearance , then maybe a quality transformation back to a better era really is on the cards. It's nice to be able to give some praise at last to those who compile it.

#1162 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,225 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 13:20

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin

Apparently Mark Webber was amongst the "go green" campaigners...nice to see a current racing driver with an appreciation of the sport's history.

#1163 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 20:03

I too thought that the photos selected for this month's edition were top notch.

#1164 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:10

Denis Jenkinson : " I always saw eye to eye with Bernie Ecclestone, - but did not always agree with him ! "

#1165 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 231 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 21:54

Originally posted by bradbury west
Many apologies for the apparent confusion over "Smith's". They are a national chain of newspapers and book shops in UK.

The Automobile may have a website. If there is a problem finding contact details please e mail me and I will try to help. By the way, the 1960 cut off year is definite.

RL

Thank you. However Vitesse2's description cooled my interest somewhat - I'm only really interested in racing cars. Roadgoing cars to me is just a means of transportation, I'm afraid.

#1166 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 14:46

Originally posted by Vitesse2

On your side of the pond maybe the price looks good, but it costs an arm and a leg here ....

I think if you get in touch with Ed McDonough you will find it very cheap other here. It is a good mag but a little too geared to the racing in the States. Personally I welcome Motor Sport covering more historic racing. Would say I felt that at £4.95 the current issue was a tad thin....

#1167 edmcd

edmcd

• 30 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 18:11

Vintage Racecar Journal

I was interested to see the comments about the quality and cost of historic magazines, and thought I had better respond. I have had a discussion with the editor/publisher and we are happy to extend an offer to UK-based Forum members for a 12 month subscription to the magazine for £20 which includes postage.

We are doing this solely to develop our contact with readers. I have no idea how many of you might respond to this, and if we have a big response from non-UK based members, we will attempt to address it.

For those of you not familiar with us, VRJ is now in its eight year, the 100th issue coming up in December this year. The magazine was 'born' in the USA, based in the Los Angeles area, but very early we decided we wanted to be International and not solely American. As current readers know, much of our content comes from the UK and Europe, especially our in-depth race car profiles, the bulk of which I do. Others come from the USA, Australia, Canada and increasingly other countries. Event coverage and features are equally varied in origin. Though we have 'Vintage' in our title, we use a broad definition of the term, and articles have ranged from the early days of the last century into the 1980s, though a fair concentration is on the 1950s into the 1970s.

If you are interested, contact me at my email address and I will communicate with you off Forum to save the space for others not interested!

edmcd@btopenworld.com

Thanks for your interest.

Ed McDonough European Editor Vintage Racecar Journal

#1168 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:48

Originally posted by RTH
Blimey, just when I'd decided to knock it on the head, the May edition arrives , and its a really good read all the way through and 130 pages, even a better photo selection and layout, not quite perfect but an improvement.

Hopefully if June is the be the re-launch proper with a more dignified appearance , then maybe a quality transformation back to a better era really is on the cards. It's nice to be able to give some praise at last to those who compile it.

I agree. I picked up mine yesterday and couldn't believe how enjoyable it was - almost everything being of particular interest to me (I've skipped the William Boddy stuff so far...).

Perhaps it's my imagination, but things seem to have got better since Marcus Simmons took over the hot seat. I can hardly wait for next month and in particular the track test of the Formula Junior cars, although I do hope that it will be conducted by someone who REALLY knows how to drive the things.

#1169 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:59

I agree that there was lots of good content this month, including an article on the Pomeroy Index for our Roger and a piece on Mallory for Dan.

I especially liked the Brabham draughtsman's inside view (Michael Scarlett)...but I could have handled more of it. Oh, and my old mate Keith Martin seems to be on some sort of mission to appear on the letters page in every other issue.

Greatly looking forward to the green cover return and thicker paper. :)

#1170 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:16

I recently caught up with the issue that had the Longford 'Track Test' in it... and I have to say it was nothing short of appaling!

Worse, they obviously had my own Closed Circuit article before them, probably on Bernd's Tasman website, and still managed to do such a bad job.

#1171 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,700 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:09

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I recently caught up with the issue that had the Longford 'Track Test' in it... and I have to say it was nothing short of appaling!

Cars going over the Viaduct. :lol:

#1172 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 13:40

Didn't recall that one... but the thought that the road past the pits was remotely like the original line is just the start...

#1173 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:30

A bit late getting thru' this issue, but thought the Mallory article was OK, the Trimmer one too. However, both subjects (OK I'm biased) could do with much longer and more detailed writings I reckon.

In the Trimmer one there's mention of someone who 'threatened' him at the 78 British GP, who would this be, BCE maybe ...

#1174 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:30

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

In the Trimmer one there's mention of someone who 'threatened' him at the 78 British GP, who would this be, BCE maybe ...

Doesn't take much guesswork, does it? I honestly thought at the time that he'd qualify for the race without too much trouble.

Later on in the magazine it says that TT is still up for a drive if someone offers him one. Get those offers in now.

#1175 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,447 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:32

It made no mention of somebody standing on a chair :rotfl:

#1176 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:58

There has been a clear improvement in the last few issues. My main gripe still remains that the articles are too short and lack depth. While I appreciate that Motor Sport is not attempting to replace books, I cannot help but feel that the sound bite culture prevails.

I think more depth and less breadth would help the publication to get back on track.

While I applaud most of the content of this month's editorial, I am worried about the promise to give more column inches to historic "racing", about which I do not give a flying whatsit!

Edward

#1177 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:05

Originally posted by SEdward
There has been a clear improvement in the last few issues. My main gripe still remains that the articles are too short and lack depth. While I appreciate that Motor Sport is not attempting to replace books, I cannot help but feel that the sound bite culture prevails.

I think more depth and less breadth would help the publication to get back on track.

While I applaud most of the content of this month's editorial, I am worried about the promise to give more column inches to historic "racing", about which I do not give a flying whatsit!

Edward

Largely agree Edward, but where historic racing gives rise to stuff about the history of individual cars, I'm in favour. Eg the bit on the Mimmo-Cevasco BT42 I thought was good, and probably wouldn't have appeared if the car hadn't been entered for Monaco Historic. 100% with you on the depth not breadth matter.

#1178 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:28

I am worried about the promise to give more column inches to historic "racing", about which I do not give a flying whatsit!

Edward

That's what is bothering me a bit too. Clearly there is some interest in reporting modern historics, but I doubt it's enough to sustain a magazine devoted to that and nothing else. Motor Sport is the nearest thing to any other publication that can accomodate such stuff. I guess I can live with it (through gritted teeth) and at least it might give us the chance to see some good pictures of nice cars, even if they are not on proper circuits with proper drivers at the wheel (no disrepect to current historic car drivers, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

#1179 Keir

Keir

• 5,215 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 13:15

Frankly, I'd like MotorSport to be a strictly historic journal. There is endless fodder and with the historic racing calender ever growing, there will be no shortage of good stuff to be had.

Remember, we keep making history !!

Advertisement

#1180 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:37

Originally posted by David Beard
I agree that there was lots of good content this month, including an article on the Pomeroy Index for our Roger ...

Mark Hughes wrote an article for Autosport a year or two ago, so I'm clearly not the only person interested in this! He is one of the best writers around, but it is a pity that he wasn't able to provide a fuller analysis of the cars' performance, rather than a brief history which must have been familiar to anybody who has even the most passing interest in racing of the period.

He says that the 1921 Duesenberg had two inlet valves and one exhaust per cylinder. Is this correct? I thought it was the other way round. He also says that the supercharger of the 1923 Fiat was only engaged a full throttle. Is this correct?

On page 43 there is a picture said to be Denny Hulme in Gurney's BT7 outside the factory. Any comments?

On the whole, Motor Sport now has some good writers. They are presumably still on the Haymarket payroll. will they continue to write for the magazine under the new management?

#1181 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:41

Edward

Exactly my thoughts, Edward.

#1182 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 15:27

Re the Hulme/Gurney photo....

I don't know why but my initial reaction was, it don't look right.

#1183 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 16:28

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Re the Hulme/Gurney photo....

I don't know why but my initial reaction was, it don't look right.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think it's a Formula 2 car.

While I'm being picky, the car described on page 13 as a Chaparral 2H, isn't.

#1184 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 18:26

Originally posted by ian senior

Doesn't take much guesswork, does it? I honestly thought at the time that he'd qualify for the race without too much trouble.

Later on in the magazine it says that TT is still up for a drive if someone offers him one. Get those offers in now.

Tony will be back at Brands next weekend racing his old faithful ex-John Jordan F5000 Lola T332 in the DBT race.

#1185 Macca

Macca

• 3,327 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 13:08

Originally posted by Roger Clark

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think it's a Formula 2 car.

While I'm being picky, the car described on page 13 as a Chaparral 2H, isn't.

That Brabham caught my eye too - it's definitely an SCA-powered F2.

(not as obvious a slip as a couple of years ago when an F2 grid at a freezing early-season Snetterton, with sheepskin coats abounding, was captioned as Reims!)

Hulme drove a BT10 with #4 at Karlskoga in 1964, so I would imagine it's just before that. In 1965 the works F2 Brabhams ran with just a gold stripe rather than the nose band as in 1964 (and on all the F1s).

...............but why is he wearing a helmet and googles in the yard? :confused:

Paul M

#1186 KingPR

KingPR

• 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 17:27

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this.

My late father had a collection which I believe is compete (certainly not missing more than a few issues) from around 1955-1985 of Motor Sport Magazine, as well as 100-150 books from that era on the subject of formula one, biographies, season reviews, books on teams, and the like. The magazines are in very good condition for their age, the books are clearly not mint but still in good nick.

They're of no interest to me, but if anyone would be interested in giving them a good home and could make a reasonable offer for the collection of magazines, or books, or both, I'd be delighted to hear from you. Or if anyone has any ideas for places I could advertise the colection (I'd rather avoid ebay if possible).

I'm going to be doing a full index this week, so I'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Regards

sandy

#1187 LB

LB

• 12,521 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 17:45

That reminds me of something that happened when I was 17 or so. I went to a open air dancy disco type thing in another village up here and arranged to stay the night at a mates house - We bounced in at about 1 am and after a nightcap or two I wondered over to the box room. I opened the door to crash in the bed and was confronted by literally hundreds of motorsports from 1950 odd to present day ( well present day then). I didn't get any sleep that night at all as I page turned all night!

I didn't even know his dad liked the sport.

#1188 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,677 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 22:38

I wouldnt mind those Motosports, but I'm not sure I've got room for that many!

#1189 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:05

A mole without peer tells me that the editor, Marcus Simmons, has resigned...

#1190 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:09

Originally posted by Twin Window

Already? :( - he seemed to be doing the right things to get the magazine back on track.

#1191 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,698 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:26

Judging by his photograph he probably had to resign!

#1192 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:44

Originally posted by KingPR

My late father had a collection which I believe is compete (certainly not missing more than a few issues) from around 1955-1985 of Motor Sport Magazine, as well as 100-150 books from that era on the subject of formula one, biographies, season reviews, books on teams, and the like. The magazines are in very good condition for their age, the books are clearly not mint but still in good nick.

They're of no interest to me, but if anyone would be interested in giving them a good home and could make a reasonable offer for the collection of magazines, or books, or both, I'd be delighted to hear from you. Or if anyone has any ideas for places I could advertise the colection (I'd rather avoid ebay if possible).

I'm going to be doing a full index this week, so I'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Regards

sandy

fyi I paid £100 for a similar collection of Motorsport (59-04) back in 04 do you just have F1 books or do yopu have anything on sportsracers/Le Mans?

#1193 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:49

Originally posted by Stephen W
Judging by his photograph he probably had to resign!

Due to being insufficiently old fart-like?

It's a pity, to my mind - things had picked up during his stewardship.

#1194 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:56

Originally posted by KingPR

Regards

sandy

I'd be interested in the magazines :D It depends what kind of figure you're looking for really. Are you in St. Albans, Herts? If so, delivery wouldn't be an issue...

#1195 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:25

Originally posted by ian senior

Due to being insufficiently old fart-like?

It's a pity, to my mind - things had picked up during his stewardship.

Agreed Ian, and v helpful when they missed my sub recently, sorry to hear this. He did need a shave though...

#1196 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:30

But he only just arrived and seemed to be doing a fine job. I detected a definite improvement in the few issues (two or three?) that he supervised.

Probably pushed out because he did hot have a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches...

Edward

#1197 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,447 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 15:58

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Agreed Ian, and v helpful when they missed my sub recently, sorry to hear this.

He did need a shave though...

Various excuses:- Too busy, It looks trendy, My girlfriends got bristly thighs, I can't afford the razor blades or I'm just too bloody idle. Perm any 3

#1198 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,091 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 16:08

You guys really will find something to complain about :lol:

#1199 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,225 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 16:25

Originally posted by Sharman

Various excuses:- Too busy, It looks trendy, My girlfriends got bristly thighs, I can't afford the razor blades or I'm just too bloody idle. Perm any 3

No, I think it was the lack of perm.

Advertisement

#1200 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 231 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:34

But he only just arrived and seemed to be doing a fine job. I detected a definite improvement in the few issues (two or three?) that he supervised.

Probably pushed out because he did hot have a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches...

Edward

Or maybe he didn't write "British" and "Britain" as often as the previous editor did...