'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#1201 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:36

Originally posted by Spaceframe

Or maybe he didn't write "British" and "Britain" as often as the previous editor did...

:confused: :confused:

Rather ironic when one considers WB's enthusiasm for VW and other vehicles of the continental variety, and Motor Sport''s unpopularity in British motor industry circles during that period... :confused:

(All a long time before the red cover hiccup, of course)

Advertisement

#1202 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 230 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:44

I read the June 2005 edition (I think it was) yesterday - there was a story written by the previous editor about Aston Martin and Goodwood, and previous editor did a bit of lyrical stuff about an atmosphere that was so .... British. I might be unfair though, as it might've been a one-time-only. But it got my blood boiling, just as it does, when somebody uses the word "retro" about anybody or anything older than yesterday.

#1203 KingPR

KingPR

• 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 00:56

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=87519 now holds all the details about the collections. Have a look!

Sandy

#1204 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,561 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:24

Well, the thick new green version has just landed on the mat. I have not had time to read it, but glancing through, it looks for like Octane than Octane. You mus make up your own minds. After a small editorial commewnt on the front by Marcus Simmons, (as he went out of the door??)I am shocked to see an introductory Comment double page explaining the history of the magazine, the way it progressed, had to change, was rescued etc etc etc through to the new structure and what they are goinfg to do, written by Andrew Frankel.

The proposals for a more hands on approach seem to be just more days out for the boys, or some of them..................

There is a nice feature, Lunch with Simon Taylor, an interview with persons of note, this time Max Mosely, so at least there will be some proper joined up writing. I still miss ST's commments column on current F1.

However,

When you open up the poly wrapper, be sure to read the bold bit at the bottom of the left side. "Important subscriber information overleaf..............." it says.

Whether that is info for important subscribers or importamnt infor I leave you to judge, because overleaf it says

"The cost of Motor Sport subscription is to increase to £11.85 per quarter........................ after June 15th 2006"

It guarantees to maintain a concession of at least 20% off retail henceforward. How fortuitous that the price increased only recently.

When I subscribed I was assured that the price would remain at that rate for as long as I subscribed, which it has done, until the immedaite past publisher improved my price to offer me the then current deal. I am not sure how that sits under a contractual basis.

There is no mention of the joint deal to supply messrs Weguelin and Nye's MFQ products.

I have remained loyal for all these years and through testing times, and because I believe in giving them a chance . Interesting times methinks, certainly for a magazine which has seen its circulation collapse so seriously.

Roger Lund.

#1205 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,647 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:54

Originally posted by bradbury west
When you open up the poly wrapper, be sure to read the bold bit at the bottom of the left side. "Important subscriber information overleaf..............." it says.

Whether that is info for important subscribers or importamnt infor I leave you to judge, because overleaf it says

"The cost of Motor Sport subscription is to increase to £11.85 per quarter........................ after June 15th 2006"
Roger Lund.

Well no Motor Sport this month! Instead a letter plopped onto the doormat informing me that my bank refused the price hike as I had not instructed them about the increase; no surprise really as I was unaware of it! This is just another case of Motor Sport having ZERO business acumen - God help them if they ever got Alan Sugar as a boss!

I am also "owed" two issues as they failed to deliver when the change of ownership took place - fat chance of that being resolved! This coupled with the frequently damaged state of the magazine after the Post Office has mauled it through the system has left me feeling disinterested in continuing my subscription.

I will go back to buying the mag off the shelf as and when there is something I want to read. It will take a 'give away' offer of some magnitude to entice me back to taking out a subscription.

:(

#1206 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:03

Businees must be going down then. I personally stopped buying after they changed the colour, although that's not the reason really, it was just the catalyst. The price of the magazine is just too high in my opinion.

#1207 RTH

RTH

• 5,723 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:24

Well the first of the "New Era " Green magazine June 2006 is, I think , a colossal improvement . 130 pages of heavy weight art paper everything about it looks quality , well laid out it all looks really good . It must be said I have not settled down to reading it yet , but first impressions are nothing but favourable.

However , it is five coppers short of £5 a copy and the subscription paid up front now only gets you a 20 % discount so its actually got much more expensive , so it's still not a simple decision. 8 years ago when there was' big bang 'and a huge price hike they softened the blow with some real value added in the form of really good free VHS taped to the cover for half a dozen or more issues .

Time I would suggest to go that route again with some free archive DVD to help us decide whether it's worth all this money.

Anyway well done on the production and as to the question by the editor 'what should he do with all the left over red stickers......'

#1208 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:49

After months of comments here, and I'm sure elsewhere, it would be churlish not to praise the very welcome return of the green cover. Motor Sport once again looks like Motor Sport should.

#1209 Paul Butler

Paul Butler

• 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:51

I've just looked through the new magazine and first impressions are favourable. As Richard said it looks good and feels good.

Interesting that Andrew Frankel had such a large article in this mag. I wrote to him when he previously took over the reins at Motor Sport and said that it was his influence that prompted me to renew my subscription - got a nice letter back at the time as well.

I'm not sure about the price hike however but as my wife pointed out I've enjoyed the last ten years or so at a reduced rate ...

As I pointed out - it's the principle however if the content justifys the charge then I'll continue my subscription. I'll see how the new look starts to pan out over the next few months and then decide.

#1210 Paul Butler

Paul Butler

• 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:52

Originally posted by Maldwyn
After months of comments here, and I'm sure elsewhere, it would be churlish not to praise the very welcome return of the green cover. MotorSport once again looks like MotorSport should.

And it's back to Motor Sport not MotorSport!

#1211 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:02

Originally posted by Paul Butler
And it's back to Motor Sport not MotorSport!

Apologies. Correction made immediately :blush:

#1212 Paul Butler

Paul Butler

• 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:08

Apologies. Correction made immediately :blush:

Good Man! :wave:

#1213 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:12

I got mine this morning, too.

I must say that the cover is great - just what it SHOULD look like.

BUT, I'm going to pour a little cold water on the above comments. I find it all very 'bitty'. There are way too many very short features for me and somehow the adverts seem to dominate the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is going the right way but I just feel a little bit disappointed this morning.

#1214 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:37

I have just opened up my copy & I thoroughly approve of the new ( old ) look, in particular the stiffer covers which means that for the first time in ages my copy has survived the rigors of the postal system & arrived in perfect nick.

I know some TNF'ers are hard to please but at a quick glance content looks good to me with some "Octane" like studio photos of a Maserati 4CM, and enough features to keep me occupied this evening. Thankfully N Roebuck is still on board but, it seems a cruel twist of fate that Marcus Simmons has fallen on his sword so soon into the new regime.
Roger Ellis

#1215 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,097 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 13:20

I noticed that Marcus Simmons is still listed as editor.

#1216 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,081 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 13:37

Originally posted by bradbury west
Well, the thick new green version has just landed on the mat......

Did they change the cover color again???? Are they impersonating a traffic light? Let's hope this color change will not take up so many posts as it did before.

Anyway I still wait for that give away DVD....

#1217 James Page

James Page

• 364 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 14:14

The cover is much better, but I'm not sure how they ended up with that flowery, 'script' typeface everywhere. A good art bod and they'd be pretty much there, I reckon.

#1218 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,640 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 14:25

Stands out a bit on the shelves, doesn't it? Amid the morass of identikit red. :o :smoking:

#1219 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,561 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 14:56

It will be interesting on which shelves it appears, since this thread has indicated that it is conspicuous by its absence. perhaps they have a new distribution and retailing set up.

RL

Advertisement

#1220 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 15:05

well, for the first time EVER, I spotted the new 'MotorSport' on the shelves in my local Tesco Superstore today, and there must have been about thirty copies too!!

#1221 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,561 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 15:46

Excellent news. let us hope they all sell, and regularly. I endorse the comments about appearance and content. They are aiming at a changed market. Still a bit Octane-ish, lifestyle and leisure industry etc., but if it works, more power to them.

RL

#1222 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 16:59

I like the style, what a relief. Even a little strip of the old pyjamas down the left hand side of the cover, which has only one picture :clap: .

It feels quality now, and smells it too. Am I the only one who likes to have a sniff at good quality glossy paper? :drunk:

I think content is always a little bit down to personal taste, and judged on whether it covers the particular corner into which one likes to delve.

Somethings never change though. Keith Martin has a letter published yet again. He's getting a bit like that bloke who used to pop up in all the prize giving photos.....

Yes, I like it. (Just need to find somewhere to hide those red ones...)

#1223 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,640 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 17:17

Originally posted by David Beard
Am I the only one who likes to have a sniff at good quality glossy paper? :drunk:

The aroma of paper is something to be appreciated like a fine wine. There is a genuine tactile pleasure in seeing a book published on quality quires and bound with care*. One of the reasons I pine after the Palawan expensive editions and enjoy a nice Folio Society publication...

* and amongst the finest printing in non-expensive books those produced by Gary Doyle on Jimmy Murphy and Ralph DePalma are in the forefront - if you haven't got them, get them.

#1224 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 18:26

Design: better than the Red'un. Some of the photos in the 1948 retrospective were far too small. Might be quality paper but I managed to smudge the ink easily enough!

Content: bit too much on contemporary historic racing and the concours/auction scene for my taste, definitely heading into Octane territory. The good stuff was very good, but I don't feel there was as much of it as last month.

MS really does need to establish some clear air between itself and Octane, rather than moving closer. At this rate they'll be indistinguishable in 2-3 years.

Oooh - and the Roebuck piece appeared to be substantially new, not a fossick in his ganderbag of stock paragraphs. The closing section about Rosberg and Mansell was very moving.

Overall: Still recognisably post-97 Motor Sport but it does need a bit more meat to it.

#1225 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:21

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I got mine this morning, too.

I must say that the cover is great - just what it SHOULD look like.

BUT, I'm going to pour a little cold water on the above comments. I find it all very 'bitty'. There are way too many very short features for me and somehow the adverts seem to dominate the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is going the right way but I just feel a little bit disappointed this morning.

That is pretty much my impression of it having read it this evening after getting home from work.

I thought it was very hit and miss, I almost flicked through to the back after hitting the adverts most of the way through only to find that there is more content further on. Personally I think this is a mistake as it isn't the way people will read Motor Sport.

As others have noted it has a more Octane flavour to it, a shame as I buy Octane for Octane and MS for MS I don't want to buy 2 different versions of Octane. The Maserati article seemed quite good but, I hate the arty shots!

I also am not very impressed by the price increase. The cover price of the mag is unchanged but as a subscriber, for a few years, I need to pay more?

#1226 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:36

So, it's gone green again? :eek: Wow, I wonder what made them change it back. Does it look exactly the same as the most recent green one?

#1227 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:41

[QUOTE]Originally posted by petefenelon
[QUOTE] Might be quality paper but I managed to smudge the ink easily enough! [/QUOTE]

It's easy to work out where you do your reading :lol:

#1228 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 20:02

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
So, it's gone green again? :eek: Wow, I wonder what made them change it back. Does it look exactly the same as the most recent green one?

No.

It looks like the old ones did.

Motor Sport press pack

#1229 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 14:38

I welcome the return to green, but am not impressed with its direction towards 'lifestyle' content, and I detest those 'arty' studio shots of historic racers, used to promote an upcoming auction lot - no disrespect to James Mann, who can compete with the best. Also, the scrappy layout, with tiny pictures in the 1948 feature is a wasted opportunity.

They obviously feel that Octane is their main competition, but to ape that title is going to lose it a lot of readers, I would suggest. Also, I find a little of Andrew Frankel goes a long way.

#1230 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 15:43

Well, I've always lived in Indiana, USA and for whatever reason, I've been a Formula One fan since the late '60s. I'll buy and read anything about F1...

Sooo, I like Motor Sport magazine and I don't care what it looks like or how much it costs.

I'm just happy such a magazine is available.

:)

#1231 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:17

My two penneth....... Too many of the articles were too short, with one page of text spread over three pages - you couldn't get in to the articles. Also, please would Richard Heseltine wind his neck in about "left wing pinkoes" and the like - I'm not one of them, but I found such comments irrelevant and detracting. Also, please back off on the contemporary racing features. I don't mind pictures of the cars, but I don't really care about who is racing what and when and where they are in a championship - I'll read the club racing pages of Autosport, or look at MSN to find that out. And I'm sure that Max Mosley said more than what was reported to Simon Taylor - it must have been a very short lunch they were talking over. And I'll second the comments about the tiny pictures from 1948 - that was a waste of something special.

#1232 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,809 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:22

Having now read most of the magazine I can only echo Darren's comments from the previous post.

One other point - I count 4 different text fonts in each item heading. To me, this is REALLY messy production. I know this is being super-picky but to me, it detracts from the overall effect.

I have still never seen an Octane but if this is what it is like, I feel no loss.

#1233 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:44

If I were to wrote a school report, I'd say something like "shows considerable promise but needs to try a little harder, and still tend to wander off the subject at times".

It's good to get the green back, and yes, it DOES stand out on the shelves so ya boo sucks to the marketing types. I haven't read it all yet, but I dived straight for the Formula Junior track test and left feeling a bit short changed - it's nice to know how far you could rev the engines but how did the cars handle? What was the overall experience like? Are the owners of the cars so inarticulate that they couldn't be allowed to say what their mounts are like to drive?

Depressing amount of "lifestyle" content - I can't see Steve McQueen wanting to wear that eysore of a watch, priced ambitiously at a cool £2400...

But overall, not bad.

#1234 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:27

Green cover apart I was disappointed with the new look magazine. for the same reasons set out by Barry and Darren above. Bitty articles look out of place on art paper and not enough use is made of the LAT archive. Nowadays thanks to ebay I get my nostalgia fix by buying the original magazines and only inertia keeps me from cancelling Motor Sport. Aspirational lifestyle rubbish might just get me angry enough to cancel that standing order though.

#1235 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:15

Very pleased the green is back and back to a decent amount of pages. Also happy that gems such as the 'parting shot' remain. The photo of Jack Sears and Roger Penske in the '63 Goodwood TT is fantastic ( p.118/119). I visited Jack yesterday morning and pointed it out to him. He was delighted to see it and had never seen that photograph before.

#1236 LB

LB

• 12,463 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:37

After months of comments here, and I'm sure elsewhere, it would be churlish not to praise the very welcome return of the green cover. Motor Sport once again looks like Motor Sport should.

Ah so thats why I couldn't find it in the newsagent last week when I was looking for a mag to browse.

Well that plus the fact its no longer sold in Fort William..

#1237 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,647 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:55

Originally posted by LB
Ah so thats why I couldn't find it in the newsagent last week when I was looking for a mag to browse.

Well that plus the fact its no longer sold in Fort William..

You lucky blighter, living in Fort Bill!

If Menzies don't stock it you might have to take out a subscription!

:wave:

#1238 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:47

Originally posted by Sharman

It's easy to work out where you do your reading :lol:

In this case, in a Japanese restaurant ;P

#1239 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:58

Originally posted by KJJ
Aspirational lifestyle rubbish might just get me angry enough to cancel that standing order though.

While I agree with some of the criticism in this thread, I think some of us of are giving Motor Sport a bit of a hard time....after an effort has been made to placate grumpy old farts such as me. I'm going to sit back and appreciate what's better, see how the rest goes.

Advertisement

#1240 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 16:15

[QUOTE]Originally posted by petefenelon
[B]

:wave: ] OK I never could get the hang of chopsticks, isn't it curious that such an inventive people have not twigged about knives forks & spoons?

#1241 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 16:32

I note that Mr Frankel states in his piece about the new Motor Sport that they will be "dabbling" with modern road cars once again. Oh, dear, no...... The purpose of such pieces in the past generally appears to have been an excuse for staff writers to live out their fantasies, and to bore their readership to tears.

Is it going to be about the history of (and historic) motor sport, or isn't it?

#1242 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:56

Originally posted by Alan Cox
I note that Mr Frankel states in his piece about the new Motor Sport that they will be "dabbling" with modern road cars once again. Oh, dear, no...... The purpose of such pieces in the past generally appears to have been an excuse for staff writers to live out their fantasies, and to bore their readership to tears.

I think I can live with that as long as it is only "dabbling" and it doesn't become all-pervading, or yet another excuse for journalists to ponce about in over-reported cars such as AMG Mercedes and M Series BMWs. Done to death everywhere, to my mind.

What I definitley do NOT want to see are articles about polishing contests - sorry, concours events. That stuff is firmly in C&S territory, especially when written in such a snooty manner as Richard "right crowd and no crowding" Heseltine managed to produce.

#1243 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,081 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:34

Motorsport should be a magazine about the history of motor racing. This may include history in the making: AM DBR9, F FXX, McLaren SLR, etc.

What we dont need are endless reports on historic racing, concours d'elegances, modern road cars (the all new Punto!!!), price givings to those with the widest smile etc. Magazines such as Cavallino have gone down the drain doing so.

If I read MS in need to smell the fumes and rubber, hear the tyres squeek and the mechanics shout, and see the red, silver and green monsters pass bye.

#1244 Hezza

Hezza

• 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:19

Hi there. I hope you will forgive the intrusion. To Mr Senior and others who have posted here about the Villa d’Este piece, I’m absolutely mortified that the story appeared in any way snooty or ‘right crowd and no crowding’. I was aiming for the exact opposite! I loved the event, loved the cars but was horrified that some were ridiculously over restored while a few owners were patently only interested in the social side of things. I genuinely thought that came across in the text. Bugger...

Best wishes to all,

Richard

#1245 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:29

Originally posted by Hezza
Hi there. I hope you will forgive the intrusion. To Mr Senior and others who have posted here about the Villa d’Este piece, I’m absolutely mortified that the story appeared in any way snooty or ‘right crowd and no crowding’. I was aiming for the exact opposite! I loved the event, loved the cars but was horrified that some were ridiculously over restored while a few owners were patently only interested in the social side of things. I genuinely thought that came across in the text. Bugger...

Best wishes to all,

Richard

It's very brave of you to put your head above the parapet, Richard - and it's appreciated. Perhaps someone had been messing with my irony filter when I read your piece. But I agree most strongly with your views about over-restored cars and the social climbing. I tend to turn very left wing when that kind of thing emerges!

Thanks for joining in and best wishes.

#1246 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:44

Thanks for joining in Richard. Appreciated!

#1247 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:07

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Motorsport should be a magazine about the history of motor racing. This may include history in the making: AM DBR9, F FXX, McLaren SLR, etc.

Given that the SLR's finest achievement to date appears to have been assisting an obnoxious boxer in his attempts to wipe the roads clean of innocent bystanders I hope MS steers well clear of them - male jewellery belongs in magazines for kids and dreamers.

And there's a magazine for track-day specials like the FXX - it belongs as a feature in Track And Race Cars, the successor to Cars & Car Conversions, along with all the other non-homologated exotica.

I'm sort of vaguely, casually interested in roadgoing "supercars", from the point of view of their engineering. But until you put a rollcage and a fire extinguisher in them, paint some numbers on and go out and lose a few races, they've no place using up pages in a historic MS until they reach bus-pass age and can appear in WB's column ;)

#1248 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 13:09

Haven't read too much of it yet (I'm stuck into some old Rail Expresses!) but I look forward to the Villa d'Este piece after Richard and Ian's comments.

No Politics Ian please, we may fall out again .... !!

#1249 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,081 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 13:12

I wasnt finished yet:

AM DBR9, F FXX, McLaren SLR, Spyker C8 in the right hands on racetracks.... ;)
Its the cars and their performances that are of interest. Not what their incapable owners and arrogant journos can (not) do with them.

#1250 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 13:21

Very pleased with the return to green - proud to have it sitting on the coffee table again. The new layout is good too and I really like the arty photography. As someone who takes 'arty' photos myself I'd be interested to hear what it is you don't like about them? Surely a beautiful car deserves a beautiful photo to hilight it's details and shape etc?

On the down side - very few (maybe only 1) articles had more than a page and a half of text - with most having an average of 1 page. Could do with a few slightly longer ones I think - otherwise it starts to be a bit like an in-flight magazine. The lifestyle articles add to that feeling too - hope they don't do too many of those (if we're concerned about the magazine costing nearly £5 we're hardly likely to be shelling out £2400 for a watch are we?).