Originally posted by Sharman
Precisely the point, it is not lbs per foot per degree it is lbs.ft per degree

:up:

Advertisement

#1302 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 22:29

I have just received the latest issue and.... oh dear, I'm afraid I still find it terribly messy.

For me there is just not enough depth in the articles and the advertising seems to pop up all over the place making the whole thing seem so disjointed.

They continue to use several different fonts in the item headings and a lot of the photographs are arty and meaningless to this fillistyne.

Cover's nice, though.

#1303 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:45

Originally posted by Barry Boor
David, you have obviously not listened too carefully to Mr. Blundell's use of English! :lol:

Barry, I'm not sure you read my post properly!

#1304 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:03

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I have just received the latest issue and.... oh dear, I'm afraid I still find it terribly messy.

For me there is just not enough depth in the articles and the advertising seems to pop up all over the place making the whole thing seem so disjointed.

They continue to use several different fonts in the item headings and a lot of the photographs are arty and meaningless to this fillistyne.

Cover's nice, though.

Got mine this morning too, I do so agree Barry, it's better, but there is still something missing, it has the superficiality of some glossy coffee table fashion magazine , as if it's to be thumbed through in a waiting room rather than to be read to obtain new knowledge.

I'd like to see more technical depth, more detailed history, better clear close up pictures of cars technical detail and more attempt to bring something new, a different aspect to the accounts of the various pieces. Sadly it does feel a bit "two steps forward and one back " I'm sure they could put this right with a bit more editorial direction, as a teacher might say could do better.

#1305 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 869 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:41

During this long thread I have rarely been tempted to put forward my thoughts on the matter.

I wasn't unduly bothered by the colour of the cover as long as the magazine was a fair read and I fully accepted that the magazine was different from what it had been when it covered contemporary motoring and racing in the past, it is after all looking at the scene from a different perspective these days as indeed so are we.

I received my copy this morning and I think it is truly dreadful and just had to have a rant.

The James Hunt article is a confusing run of pages that almost look like a series of posters and adverts with the copy all over the place. Renaults advertising feature dominates the whole middle section of the magazine and gives it a feel of a brochure. On a cursory flick through the pages the only article that stands out as a must read is the "McLaren, Life after Bruce" piece and possibly the Eddie Cheever interview might be worth a look. I always enjoy Bill Boddy's contribution whatever they do with the rest of the magazine.

Once again, as with the Maserati in last month's edition there is a set of studio photographs taken by an auction house which I think are far inferior to either period photographs or current on track pictures.

A final comment do we really need to know what Simon Taylor and Robert Brooks had for lunch during their interview?

I feel much better having got that off my chest.

David

#1306 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 13:51

Is there a competition going on at Haymarket to see which publication can use the most fonts? I'd say Motor Sport wins hands down. Having said that I do like the cover and the extended letters section. The period shots from Le Mans are also very evocative. That's my first impressions. I'm actually going to read it now so I may be back (hopefully not in ten minutes!).

P.S. Nice to see the return of the Mason Arms advert. :)

#1307 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 15:14

Originally posted by kevthedrummer

P.S. Nice to see the return of the Mason Arms advert. :)

I agree. Sounds a great place ...except for the way smoking is encouraged.

#1308 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 17:11

Has the cover photo been doctored? Theres something a bit odd about the light under the RR.

#1309 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 17:13

'Is there a competition going on at Haymarket to see which publication can use the most fonts?'
er......I didn't think that 'Motor Sport' was published by Haymarket anymore........

#1310 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 19:22

Hmmm. I've never been one for small print. Published under license from them apparently. Actually, I quite like the font they use for the small print. Quite easy to read compared to the squiggly stuff.

#1311 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,696 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 20:18

I must say I agree with a lot of David Lawson's criticism - having read further, I feel that the James Hunt article is a great let-down. It's simply extracts from a forthcoming book, and reads like it.

Why can't they commission entirely new features - the use of studio shots taken for another purpose are a case in point.

kevthedrummer, I note your applause for the Mason's Arms advert - have you ever been there? I would recommend that you try it once, but take out a further advance on your mortgage before eating there - a hint might be that prices are not listed - a bit like buying a Rolls Royce, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. The food is good, but certainly not that good.

#1312 DN5

DN5

• 278 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 20:21

Anyone else have a survey to complete with this months issue?

Having seen some of the questions I don't think I am their target audience!

The question about if you were editor for a month what would you do has got me thinking. (Although there is plenty of ideas in this thread!)

Geoff

#1313 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:52

Originally posted by DN5
Anyone else have a survey to complete with this months issue?

Having seen some of the questions I don't think I am their target audience!

The question about if you were editor for a month what would you do has got me thinking. (Although there is plenty of ideas in this thread!)

Geoff

Yes,I was thinking the same.'How many cars do you own?' with no provision for a 'zero' option. Still its a freepost address so I will return it :lol:

#1314 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:22

I saw the new issue today. Leafed through it and decided it wasn't worth $10 +. Will see what happens next month. How've they've ruined a great magazine!

#1315 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 16:29

When the magazine arrives in the post, the first thing I do is leaf through to see what I want to read first. Then I go on to read it all.

This month there was nothing that leapt out at me. Having now read most of it, my verdict is the same as last month, namely that all the articles seem very shallow and I haven't learned anything interesting.

In view of the hike in subscription rates, I will think hard before renewing when it comes due. But after nearly fifty years on and off, I suppose I'll come round in the end.

#1316 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 17:16

Having sat down to read it this weekend I was extrememly disappointed.

The James Hunt article was a real letdown, I almost skimmed it because it looked so messy, a shame as bits of it were very amusing.
Bill Boddy's bit was always something I read later but now it's almost impossible to find in the very messy mish-mash of adverts at the back.

The letters page was amusing, almost all of them saying how wonderful they thought the new look was, except one which was pretty much on the button, perhaps we need to send our comments to them for possible inclusion in the letters page.

I think the arty shots spoiled the McLaren article, the track visit is a welcome return, however more shots of the racing and less of the spectators.

The one thing I really don't like from the last 2 editions is the 'advertising' articles on auction houses or dealers, I really am not interested in Hendon Way motors, please lets have some real motorsport articles.

#1317 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 17:39

Is it my imagination or is the re-vamp gradually getting the thumbs down?

Initially, reaction seemed very positive but more and more readers are now finding faults - and many of them.

I doubt I shall renew next time, which makes me very sad.....

#1318 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 18:38

Originally posted by D-Type
This month there was nothing that leapt out at me. Having now read most of it, my verdict is the same as last month, namnely that all the articles seem very shallow and I haven't lerned anything interesting.

Maybe after 80 years and nearly 1000 editions, they're running out of things to say. :confused:

As far as the pages and pages of ads go and the increases in price, it sounds like they're either suffering from financial trouble or they want to make a bigger profit. :confused:

A lot of the members here are INCREDIBLY knowledgeable as far as motorsport history goes, I'm sure some of you could write some very interesting articles for the magazine. Who's writing them at the moment, other than WB?

#1319 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,328 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 18:44

Im in the US ( state of MA) on the East coast and just got my June issue. Le Mans is almost here and I finally have the issue here. very disappointed in it. more sense of lifestyle. Im not interested in the quality of the paper. Cars. Im interested in racing, interested in interviews in depth. price increase too much.

Advertisement

#1320 Keir

Keir

• 5,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 13:29

I have never seen a mag get this much attention !!

If you like what you see, then good. If not, then turn your attention elsewhere !!

#1321 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,574 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 14:50

Keir
I don't know where you hail from but you are seeing the best part of 80 years of European Motor Sporting Heritage being turned into dentist's waiting room fodder. Is it any wonder that the older readers get a little peevish?
JSF

#1322 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 15:04

I thought Bill Boddy's column endnotes were particularly good this month... :smoking:

#1323 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 18:47

Originally posted by Sharman
Keir
I don't know where you hail from but you are seeing the best part of 80 years of European Motor Sporting Heritage being turned into dentist's waiting room fodder. Is it any wonder that the older readers get a little peevish?
JSF

Less of the old. :p
I'm under 35 (The old rich man subscriber survey minimum age) and have been an avid Motorsport reader for over 15 years. For me I've always enjoyed the mag but the recent revamp is not good. I for one hated the red masthead but I'd rather have it back if I got that mag content back as well.

#1324 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,574 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 20:46

As I fall into the "pensioner in reduced circumstances category" it becomes harder to justify the expenditure especially as they have now started using that horrid shiny art paper so that I have to buy more of Mr Kimberley-Smith's products
JSF

#1325 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 23:21

Took a peek at the shiney MS a few days ago in Smiths. Two years ago I stopped buying MS because it no longer revealed anything interesting about motor-racing's past. It's fifty years on since I started reading MS and (deep sigh)... any further comment would be superfluous.

#1326 Keir

Keir

• 5,221 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 13:12

Sharman,

I'm from the good old USA and we get MotorSport a tad later than you lot in GB.

The thing about history is that sometimes it gets to be a lot like beating that "dead horse" to try to get some life out of it.

I did find the "new re-vamped" GREEN issue to be worth a read !! The one with Jackie on the cover.

#1327 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,574 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 15:29

:evil: Keir
I should be so lucky- I live in France now but it takes for ever to cover the 500 miles, in fact it now comes via Switzerland, last issue arrived end of May
JSF

#1328 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 19:55

Has anyone heard about any "dramatic happenings" in recent days ???????????

#1329 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 19:59

Only from one source, so far.... :confused:

DCN

#1330 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 20:02

Blimey! Now what??

#1331 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,312 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 20:38

I was called to ask if I was a subscriber. Has someone hacked into their details? Or has the database gone AWOL?

#1332 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,395 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:21

Originally posted by Ted Walker
Has anyone heard about any "dramatic happenings" in recent days ???????????

What's this about, then?

Jack

#1333 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:55

Having received the first of the "new" green versions as normal, the second one has failed to show up. I phoned the subscription dept and they confirmed that it HAD been sent out. They said they would send a replacement - which, of course, hasn't yet arrived.

#1334 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:31

Eric. From the "paddock gossip" I heard yesterday it could become a collectors item.I stress that this is only heresay and maybe complete and hopefully a load of rubbish

#1335 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:53

Will there be a third "new style" edition then?

#1336 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 13:21

Originally posted by Keir
Sharman,

I'm from the good old USA and we get MotorSport a tad later than you lot in GB.

The thing about history is that sometimes it gets to be a lot like beating that "dead horse" to try to get some life out of it.

I did find the "new re-vamped" GREEN issue to be worth a read !! The one with Jackie on the cover.

I just bought that issue and it's OK with me. I liked it. Wonder how many people in Indianapolis buy that magazine?

Glad to have it. :)

#1337 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:44

well no sign of #2 reaching these far off Irish shores yet....

#1338 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:53

I've been having trouble getting it from my local shop - anyone know if the edition covering the Monaco Historic races is still available?

#1339 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:00

I am getting seriously pissed off - even by my standards.

I can't remember when a MotorSport last arrived.

I am a subscriber...I should contact them but I'm at the opposite end of the earth and I can't be doing with the thought of talking to a recording of a girl with a Norf Lundin accent - alright yeah? - telling me all the reasons why I'm beyond hope or help

I could e mail but I've tried that previously and never so much as had a reply so why would you bother, sorry - bovver

And no, my subscription has not run out

Advertisement

#1340 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,256 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:19

Originally posted by ghinzani
I've been having trouble getting it from my local shop - anyone know if the edition covering the Monaco Historic races is still available?

That's the current (July) issue, published a couple of weeks ago. I still have copies for sale if you can't get one. PM me.

#1341 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:16

Originally posted by Vitesse2

That's the current (July) issue, published a couple of weeks ago. I still have copies for sale if you can't get one. PM me.

Cheers Vitesse, I'l have a quick scan around Ringwood this afternoon and if no joy I will be in touch. Many thanks.

#1342 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,574 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 13:32

Vitesse, I suppose one of the copies you have is mine- I sure as hell haven't got it
JF

#1343 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 14:53

The publisher of Motor Sport, Martin Nott, has sent me the following via email in response to the theme of recent posts;

There have been a number of mischievous rumours in the last few days regarding Motor Sport magazine. We can categorically state that there is no trouble at Motor Sport, in fact the outlook has never been brighter. We have been very encouraged by the support from advertisers and readers, and the editorial and advertising teams are hard at work finishing the August issue which will be published on July 7. We have a new Editor heading up the team and we are well advanced with our plans for the rest of the year and for 2007. There have been some changes in the channels of distribution, but these should not have had any negative effect for readers or subscribers. Any specific queries should be directed to the editorial office. We are investing in the future of Motor Sport and plan to launch more titles in the coming months.

So relax, chaps!

#1344 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 15:57

Good News I did say it was "paddock gossip"

#1345 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 16:35

Vitesse - thanks for the offer but I managed to track one down in Martins. Not sure why I bothered though, its a bit lightweight, certainly no improvement and a lot of the articles are too "soundbitey" (if thats a word). Think I'l stick to reading the Internet instead!

#1346 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 16:57

If everything is OK, WHERE'S MY COPY?

#1347 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 16:58

Can any of you please tell me when the July issue came out in UK. I am a new subscriber but wont dare to mail them again yet.......cause I still havent got it (the first green yes-June issue).
If you want my opinion : I DONT LIKE IT ! Hot regards Bjørn

#1348 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 17:21

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Only from one source, so far.... :confused:

DCN

As I cautioned then... (?)

DCN

#1349 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 20:26

Originally posted by Twin Window
The publisher of Motor Sport, Martin Nott, has sent me the following via email in response to the theme of recent posts;

... There have been some changes in the channels of distribution, but these should not have had any negative effect for readers or subscribers ...

So relax, chaps!

Interesting distinction there; so subscribers and readers are different populations?

I quit both after a couple failures-to-deliver, and the USA distributor stopped answering my emails. The last two that did arrive are spiting my to-be-read stack, unopened.

--
Frank S

#1350 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 20:28

I understand that the publisher and his entourage read these comments. Perhaps Martin Nott would enlighten me, either here or via a personal e mail or 'phone call, as a reader into his 47th year with the magazine, as to exactly whom he regards as his target readership. My previous reply to this thread made my viewpoint clear. After writing it, I felt that I may have been a little harsh, but perhaps not.

Whither MS now? If there are changes, I dearly hope that Gordon Cruickshank remains in harness, since that gives the bonus that the Bod. is thus accommodated.

I also remain concerned about the principle of the hike in subs fees, since, when I subscribed first of all, I queried the provision for rate increases, and was told that my rate would remain the same for as long as I subscribed. That, to me , formed the basis of a state of contract between the parties.

Roger Lund