'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#1351 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,189 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 21:20

Originally posted by Keir
I think this one deserves it's own thread.

What do you think about Motorsport Magazine??

Don and some others have given their views, now I'll give mine and let the party begin!!

For a magazine, any magazine, to ask for $7 American, they better be delivering the goods. For the most part, Motorsport does that. It brings back the bygone eras and does a good job of it. The old track series is really a tough old bird to do justice.
Without the cars and drivers, the Ring is just another winding road and no amount of excellent photography can make up for that.
The writing is also done well, and really, how many times can you tell the same story and make it sound fresh?
For me, after reading each issue, I'm always left a little hungry for more. I want a new spin on the old tale. I think we all do.

Ok, Guys and Nomad, your turn!!!

------------------
"I Was Born Ready"

I have never seen a mag get this much attention !!

If you like what you see, then good. If not, then turn your attention elsewhere !!

:confused:

Advertisement

#1352 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 21:22

Well said Roger, I have complained bitterly in the past of the cavalier treatment received by what must have been, the the most loyal readership of any magazine on the UK market. I have been reading it since I was thirteen and reach my 69th b/day at the end of this month. I fully endorse your sentiments and am still bemused by the failure of a publishing operation to mail, on time, what is in effect, the contents of a Christmas Card list. "Piss ups and breweries" are words which come to mind.

#1353 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:14

Just as a distraction from (entirely justufied) moans about Motor Sport and magazines in general, and for a touch of light relief, have a look at:

www.bltin.com

Not much motor racing, but God knows we could do with a laugh some times.

#1354 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 21:54

Phew - my replacement copy arrived today. They are forgiven - for now!

#1355 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,415 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 23:43

Seeing Keir's original post, as quoted by Kpy, has led me to wade into these waters again...

Keir said that the 'track tests' were difficult to do justice. I disagree! I am extremely concerned about the inaccuracies and lack of depth in the Longford one, I seem to recall that their Bathurst one was similarly shallow.

Why can't they do it right?

#1356 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:46

Originally posted by ian senior
Just as a distraction from (entirely justufied) moans about Motor Sport and magazines in general, and for a touch of light relief, have a look at:

www.bltin.com

Not much motor racing, but God knows we could do with a laugh some times.

:up: :up: Yes we could do with light relief and most definitely some laughs , everyone is too serious about everything including Motorsport!!!!!!

#1357 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:41

Excuse my dutch, but I am a little baffled by all the 'problems' some have had with the cover color and type setting of this mag, while the real problems are with contents and distribution.

There are still so many subjects of racing untold and pictures unpublished (have a look here!). We all want value for money, and the value is in the contents right?

How can it be that a magazine that is published around the 7th, arrives around the 18th - 23rd in Holland???? One can cross the channel more swift by rowing. We live in 2006 right? This is no service to foreign subscribers.

#1358 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:45

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Excuse my dutch, but I am a little baffled by all the 'problems' some have had with the cover color and type setting of this mag, while the real problems are with contents and distribution.

There are still so many subjects of racing untold and pictures unpublished (have a look here!). We all want value for money, and the value is in the contents right?

How can it be that a magazine that is published around the 7th, arrives around the 18th - 23rd in Holland???? One can cross the channel more swift by rowing. We live in 2006 right? This is no service to foreign subscribers

Precisely what my gripe has been, is and presumably will be until somebody realises that their expensive toys (eg an old HWM and I know the publisher has now changed but the problem is not new) are paid for by the punters who buy the magazine
JF

#1359 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:44

John,

If you refer to Simon Taylor's HWM, I feel you a bit off target.

ST served his time as an Autosport staffer and then editor, doing a far more fulsome job than many realised at the time, later becoming Chairman of Haymarket, so he had a broad portfolio of responsibility for many years, plus his other work. IIRC ST was the person who had the presence of mind to secure MS from Wesley J Tee, for a modest sum. I was not aware that rank and file journos were were ever overpaid, unless you get into the realms of national dailies etc. and a man's cars and life are his own business.

The distribution process is a separate issue and is the responsibility of the publisher. How do we fare with European/ US magazines coming over here, or Octane/C&SC etc in Europe/US/RoW? My first RCJ arrived pretty quickly from the US, and good it is too. In France, as you know, it is possible to buy UK dailies on the day of UK publication, or only one day behind, printed in Europe. Is it not possible to print MS etc in Europe and use local distibution networks, or are the volumes too low? For the new prices charged we could expect courier service.

RL

Advertisement

#1360 SEdward

SEdward

• 837 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:58

On the front cover: "The true James Hunt. His inner circle speak out for the first time"

Now shouldn't that be "speaks", or are I in the wrong threads?

BTW, Simmons are always list the edit, but it no writes editorials.

Edward

#1361 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 13:23

Kpy - :confused: :confused: :confused:

You might have posted the timeframe as well between my posts !!

The length of this thread just isn't justified by all the negative diatribe, nor should there be an over glowing positive assault. The mag is what it is !!

Ray,

Loooong time no hear !!

The track tests are always going to be a bit short for the true fan of a particular circuit and too long for those who don't care. Such is life !!

#1362 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 13:24

Originally posted by SEdward
On the front cover: "The true James Hunt. His inner circle speak out for the first time"

Now shouldn't that be "speaks", or are I in the wrong threads?

BTW, Simmons are always list the edit, but it no writes editorials.

Edward

They (his inner circle) speak, what's wrong with that? The rest of your post, I likes.

#1363 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 14:22

where's my mag, I'm in Dublin not Jupiter

#1364 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,189 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 14:39

Kpy - :confused: :confused: :confused:

You might have posted the timeframe as well between my posts !!

The system doesn't show the timeframe, but what difference does it make? The magazine is still publishing every month.

Originally posted by Keir The length of this thread just isn't justified by all the negative diatribe, nor should there be an over glowing positive assault. The mag is what it is !!

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but aren't members entitled to post theirs, so long as they stick to the topic? Members know that their opinions have a good chance of getting back to the publisher.

#1365 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 16:38

Roger
To get to drive some of the wonderful stuff that some of the scribblers do they should PAY to have their jobs.
I stand by what I say, I have been Chairman of a couple of companies. As Mr Truman's sign said "The buck stops here". Somebody has to carry the can, I presume that none of the senior management of Haymarket are on their uppers. My wife gets her Homes and Gardens on time why was/is it always MS. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes if not the punters demanding service for the money they paid IN ADVANCE
John

#1366 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 17:33

I'm sure it's a Motor Sport problem rather than a Haymarket problem. I've been an Autosport subscriber for at least 15 years, in all that time only a single copy ever failed to arrive, a replacement was sent the same day when I phoned. Presumably the same crowd are responsible for sending both of them out, and I think I can count almost on one hand the times AS has arrived a day or two late, a pretty impressive record considering there are 51 issues each year. Given the magazine's proud history, it's sad to read about subscription problems and what appears to be an editorial decline. I stopped buying it when DSJ gave up his regular contributions, so don't often see MS these days. From the way you lot are complaining, it doesn't sound as if I'm missing all that much.

#1367 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 18:01

John,

I agree with your sentiments about accountability, having been at the sharp end all my working life, but I believe ST retired from the Chairmanship some years ago. He is a couple of years older than I, and I think he stood down at 55/57. There is also a great difference between being a knowledgeable writer, the glitzy job, and the guy who has to make the business work, starting with the Editor's function, and so on.

BTW, when did these delivery problems start to arise?

RL

PS, Anyone heard from the Publisher yet? At least the last one used to pop up from time to time. perhaps the new one follows the old adage about never explaining and never apologising.

#1368 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 18:13

Originally posted by bradbury west

PS, Anyone heard from the Publisher yet?

Yes - see here.

#1369 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 20:56

Roger
I stopped subscribing to both Motor Sport and Classic & Sports Car about 3 years ago because of delivery problems. I browbeat various visitors, members of the family and on occasion absolute strangers of whose impending visits I became aware, into finding & buying MS. This latest sub was organised by my wife as a Chrismas present but started with February even though the sub was intended to commence with the Jan issue
John

#1370 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:34

I wonder what "more titles "mean?????

#1371 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,128 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:23

No delivery problems here. Only curiosity is positive-increased subscription due on 17th not debited to my bank account as of yesterday :rotfl:

#1372 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,840 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:06

Originally posted by Ted Walker
I wonder what "more titles "mean?????

I was wondering that; perhaps they are going to do a similar magazine about old motor bikes! I await developments. In the meantime I have decided NOT to renew my subscription. I will raid WH Smiths each month, check out Motor Sport and if there is anything I fancy in the issue I will buy it! At least that way I can make up my mind if it is value for money on an issue by issue basis.

:wave:

#1373 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:42

Well, I don't subscribe, but I usually buy an issue every month or so.

I bought the green "Jackie Stewart" issue (vol 82 no 6) about 5 days ago at the Barnes & Noble bookstore in Avon IN, which is just west of Indianapolis.

I've thought about subscribing but now, maybe I won't. :

#1374 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:32

:evil: My copy arrived in the post this am. And this is supposed to be better? Someone said arty farty , bitty shitty is a more apt description. A lot of adverts and not even interesting adverts (except for the bird in the shirt), a coffee table compendium is my summation. But I'm stuck for another 7 issues which are paid for but not what was offered for sale at the time of purchase. I just hope that what we have are teething troubles with a new team.
JF

#1375 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,840 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:53

Originally posted by Sharman
:evil: My copy arrived in the post this am. And this is supposed to be better? Someone said arty farty , bitty shitty is a more apt description. A lot of adverts and not even interesting adverts (except for the bird in the shirt), a coffee table compendium is my summation. But I'm stuck for another 7 issues which are paid for but not what was offered for sale at the time of purchase. I just hope that what we have are teething troubles with a new team.
JF

I already fear the worst! ):

#1376 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:10

Thanks Sharman , that gives me hope still to get my no.7 this month. Perhaps they even will bother to answer my e-mail before I get it! It is to have in town here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I love the green colour........ regards Bjørn :cat:

#1377 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 13:46

:lol: Got it today, did you call them Sharman.........well perhaps i am allready getting used to it or perhaps its because there more pics that I liked. Its not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It could or should however be much better, better stories and better race car pics. Not all those from museums and so ,( unless others are to be seen af "that" particular model.) Also I think to a certain degree its ok with new racing and politics today , but fill 3 pages with Mosley and to that nearly 2 with his portrait.....that IS too much!!!!!! Yes, I have written them earlier with no response! Also i think its an insult the the contributors , when asked for private pics, MS makes them to "stamp" size!!!! :mad:
!!! Regards Bjørn

#1378 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:54

haven't followed this thread in awhile, and after a wonderful meal at our favorite italian restaraunt the mrs. and i stopped in at our local bookstore. i went straight to the motoring section looking for the dreaded red cover and found green. a pleasant surprise.

#1379 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 16:07

Originally posted by Sharman
JF

I dunno... that ad on page 104 is interesting... :)

Advertisement

#1380 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 20:47

Maybe I did Generalise a little
JF :)

#1381 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,415 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:37

.....Ray,

Loooong time no hear !!

The track tests are always going to be a bit short for the true fan of a particular circuit and too long for those who don't care. Such is life !!

But they should be accurate and convey more of the history of the circuit...

I think some are confusing this thread with the other more recent one about how Motor Sport is today. It's quite a different magazine now to when this thread began, even though it was then beginning to head down this path.

#1382 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:58

Sorry to keep fueling this debate, but frustration and disappointment are setting in again.

I skimmed through the current issue in WHS before deciding whether or not to buy it (I didn't part with the cash this time). Apart from the hilarity caused by seeing watches at the price of a decent second hand car, there seems to be an awful lot of space filling at the expense of some well researched and well written articles that actually tell us something new.

The James Hunt stuff in particular was a waste of space. James is already pretty well documented, and to my mind, if you are talking about books on that subject, you ain't going to find much better than Gerald Donaldson's biography. The article didn't tell me anything I haven't seen in the Donaldson book, or elsewhere. I hate to say it, but it's typical of so much Christopher Hilton's stuff. We don't need another Hunt book.

MS is fast becoming a kind of printed chat show, where people come along to plug their latest book, film, record or whatever.

#1383 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,721 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:45

Having finished the issue it looks a bit thin on content (to say the least - the interview with Eddie Cheever stopping at 1979?) and many of the headlines look like they are adverts as the font use is non-conventional.

I wonder whether it is a sort of placeholder edition. There must be a lot of upheaval going on so maybe they just put out some shortish articles whilst they work on longer-term issues? Back to proper meaty articles next month? Whilst stuffing the thing with adverts?

#1384 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:48

Agreed Ens and Ian, what was the point of the Hunt thing? And surely Cheever deserves a more lengthy article than this one. The whole thing seems v disjointed to me.

Be careful with your footy stuff Ens, some people may get upset, assuming they know who G Poll is !!!

#1385 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,721 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 13:06

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Be careful with your footy stuff Ens, some people may get upset, assuming they know who G Poll is !!!

Sigs are a bit like rugby tours. As in "what goes on...".

#1386 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,840 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 15:28

Originally posted by ensign14
Sigs are a bit like rugby tours. As in "what goes on...".

Unlike the Croatian who actually got FOUR cards - 3 Yellow & 1 Red!

#1387 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 200 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 18:20

According to the Motor Sport website the new editor is Richard Robinson. No mention of William Boddy on the editorial team.

-----------------------
Welsh Motor Sport History

#1388 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,508 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 18:35

Originally posted by johnwilliamdavies
According to the Motor Sport website the new editor is Richard Robinson.

Errr ..... who he?

#1389 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,636 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 19:19

The rest of the arrangements look to be very much the same, see link below, and it is to be hoped that Bill Boddy contributes via Gordon Cruickshank as at present.

As an independent business it is the Publisher's prerogative to run the magazine how he sees fit, especially as it would appear to be his money now. BTW, the new Octane issue arrived today. That might be the format on which MS hopes to model itself, leaving C&SC for the more traditional offerings (longer, deeper, less arty) known and loved by us all.

Worth an e mail to them, below, if you are concerned about MS?

http://www.motorspor...uk/contact.html

RL

#1390 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:18

Originally posted by bradbury west
BTW, the new Octane issue arrived today. That might be the format on which MS hopes to model itself

http://www.motorspor...uk/contact.html

RL

Hope not. I'll have to buy a new coffee table to put it on.

#1391 hhh

hhh

• 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 21:24

The good thing is that they listened and gave u the green cover back, and the new green is quite good.
I find the last issue much improved and I believe they are on the right track at MS.

#1392 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,571 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:44

how comes my local Tesco has the new MotorSport on its' shelves, and I, as a subscriber haven't received it yet?? ?

#1393 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:53

Originally posted by Gary C
how comes my local Tesco has the new MotorSport on its' shelves, and I, as a subscriber haven't received it yet?? ?

My subscription copy has yet to turn up. :(

I was hoping that it was going to have arrived in this mornings' post as I saw that they had it on their stand yesterday at the FoS, but alas it didn't.

#1394 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,571 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:56

this is the first time in about 6 years that mine hasn't turned up (so far). Hopefully the postman on Monday morning will bring it.

#1395 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:57

He's probably reading it over the weekend....

Jack

#1396 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:59

Nor mine! It had better be worth waiting for, as I am seriously cancelling after the vicious hike in subscription rates.

#1397 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,721 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 21:02

Got mine on Thursday (or Friday, can't remember). Not had a chance to read it yet.

#1398 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 21:08

I've not bought a Motorsport Magazine since 2004...not really missed it. Why is it nearly 3 times the cost now as it was 10/12 years ago? :confused: The quality of the mags has gone down, not up. And inflation hasn't tripled in the last decade, has it?

#1399 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,083 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 21:20

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
He's probably reading it over the weekend....

Jack

It shouldn't take him ALL weekend, more like an hour or so :lol:

Advertisement

#1400 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,721 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 21:23

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
I've not bought a Motorsport Magazine since 2004...not really missed it. Why is it nearly 3 times the cost now as it was 10/12 years ago? :confused: The quality of the mags has gone down, not up. And inflation hasn't tripled in the last decade, has it?

That's a bit unfair - the mid-90s mags were horrible.