Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#101 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 21:13

Well I never...it must be my eyes then - but I could have sworn the magazine of which I was briefly assistant editor was entitled 'Motor (- space -) Sport'...

Posted Image

DCN :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#102 EvilPhil

EvilPhil

• 641 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 21:26

Originally posted by smarjoram
It's a bit like this...

LOL :clap: :rotfl:

#103 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 21:40

MotorSport

Posted Image

And the new red cover

Posted Image

err...hold on :confused:

#104 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 21:47

Well, at least it should sell well at that price...

#105 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 22:08

Don't tell Bill Boddy but they're using the form MotorSport for the copy in his column.

#106 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,026 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 22:32

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Well I never...it must be my eyes then - but I could have sworn the magazine of which I was briefly assistant editor was entitled 'Motor (- space -) Sport'...

As far as I remember, whenever the title was referred to in the text it was always MOTOR SPORT, in capitals.

#107 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 22:42

By the way, has anyone got a rundown on what the story about the Fiat 500 was like?

#108 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 22:47

Likewise, during my stint as picture editor. :up:

#109 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,112 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:25

What did they print in a 1943 issue,when there had not been any motor sport for several years?
Interesting that the price had only increased by 6d ten years later when I first found it.
Mine arrived yesterday,and first observation is that there is not too much to get upset about.Coverage of historic racing seems to have improved.
Still don't see how the red cover will sell more copies.Firm I worked for colours were mainly red.We used to have meetings to discuss how to improve the image of the business.If I had suggested changing to BRG I would have been laughed out of the office. But a couple of years after I left,they did just that-now have a fleet of green vehicles!

#110 MCS

MCS

• 3,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:32

Originally posted by David Beard

I refuse to open mine.

Strangely enough, mine is on a book shelf in my office (face up).

I keep looking at it certainly - and I mean "looking" at it (I don't touch it) - but other than flicking quickly through it when it arrived, I've yet to read any of it.

Contrast this with the "green'un" which I would almost always read as soon as I could - often as soon as I picked it up from the doormat.

Is there an explanation for this new found reluctance :confused:

Clearly from David's note I'm not alone.

MCS

#111 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:56

Notice it was One Shilling ( £0.05p) in 1943 and still that same 1/- in 1954 no price change in 11 years something of a contrast to the £4.30 per copy today for something far less satisfactory.

#112 estoril85

estoril85

• 1,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:37

Originally posted by Arturo Pereira
I did not like what I saw :rolleyes: Imho, TNF can very well replace Motorsport :wave:

therein lies the problem all periodical publications now face, a magazine simply cannot compete with the internet, especially it would seem magazines devoted to motorsport. Publishers realise this and in an effort to counter dwindling circulation figures for monthly titles they are attempting an all things to all men/women response to the problem, which in turn alienates a percentage of the loyal readership.

The business side of the publication will expect a trade off in lost subscriptions to a greater number of new subscriptions which poach readers of other magazines.

Its not about better its about survival.

#113 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:52

Originally posted by estoril85
...therein lies the problem all periodical publications now face, a magazine simply cannot compete with the internet, especially it would seem magazines devoted to motorsport...

Seems to me that while this is self-evidently true for poorly compiled, unimaginative and inadequate publications there is no reason why it should also be true for magazines which could easily be the opposite of all these things.

The advantage of a print publication will always be that it can be studied, read, viewed, admired (or detested) anywhere, anytime - without requiring the presence of a mains plug or a telephone line...on the loo, in bath or bed, on the summit of a mountain, in a 'plane, train or a boat (though the pages might get soggy).

There will always be a baseline hardcore longterm readership out there for something good - and if it's smaller than some profit-focused publishing corporation might prefer in order to meet arbitrary profit targets set by disinterested accountants then you tailor the product and its cost to survive on the available market...

It's a disaster to dumb down the product for short-term enlargement of that market, since this will be counter-productive. The hardcore readership will surely compensate by voting with their feet - and binning your product.

Small can still be beautiful - and interesting. There's a faith to be kept in there somewhere...something the suits and the 'en passant' uncommitted journos will never grasp...in them that part of the chip simply is not installed (instilled?).

DCN

#114 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,246 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:00

Originally posted by Rob29
What did they print in a 1943 issue,when there had not been any motor sport for several years?

Not a lot, Rob! wartime issues were sometimes as few as 16 pages, with a high percentage of advertising and reprints from early issues. By 1943, they'd even more or less run out of retrospective articles to run - there'd been a series on voiturette racing, an unfinished one on the German GP successes (considered unpatriotic?), some pen portraits of drivers by Chula etc. In the 75th anniversary issue (I think) WB did an article describing how Old Man Tee would dump some photographs on his desk and say "Right, we've got the plates for these, write about them ...."

#115 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,850 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:15

Chucking in my two penn'orth..... I don't like the cover, but I had hoped they wouldn't muck about too much with the interior layout. They have! :(

#116 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:03

Originally posted by Twin Window
Likewise, during my stint as picture editor. :up:

Well, not exactly Stuart - it had something of an identity crisis :)
In text it used the form 'Motor Sport', but in the masthead which I think we were talking about (to begin with at least), the word space had already gone!
(I would concede, if anyone were thinking it, that this line of enquiry may have become overly 'academic'!)

#117 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,304 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:31

I do not like the cover, it looks crammed and cheap.

I do not like the headline font, it looks yoof-contrived. The older, more staid, traditional face (reminiscent of the one from 1946 And All That) was much more to my liking. Plus it is easier to read.

The sidebars are fine in themselves in that they add colour to a story; I do however wish they were more obviously separated, with a background colour change or something, the pages look a little messed up as a result.

As for the content, it was (for the most part) very interesting this month - Jackie Oliver on the GT vs the GT40 and a useful summary of the different GT40 types, a fine summary of Paul Newman's career and a nice article on Alfetta and P2.

The one I vehemently did not like was the 50 best partnerships which added precisely nothing to the store of motor racing knowledge. Besides which, they missed a very obvious one - Richard Petty and Dale Inman, as a combo responsible for more NASCAR wins than any other driver (let alone with one crew chief). At least when MotorSport did their 100 greatest drivers a certain picture editor picked out real obscurities for the photos.

BTW, I have not finished it yet...

#118 JohnH

JohnH

• 143 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:38

After reading five or so of these posts with the bad news, I am now getting so frustrated, angry, upset and depressed at how stupid this remake is. It sounds like a total disaster and I haven't seen it yet, I don't need to . Motorsport has been one of my true cherished treasures in life for about 7 years, and as others said on here I did enjoy reading the long illustrated articles about stuff I knew nothing about. What a total joke for them to have ruined this great magazine, and pitifully I just reupped last week not knowing how bad it would be. Is nothing sacred???? I can't believe it.

John

#119 JohnH

JohnH

• 143 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:49

The advantage of a print publication will always be that it can be studied, read, viewed, admired (or detested) anywhere, anytime - without requiring the presence of a mains plug or a telephone line...on the loo, in bath or bed, on the summit of a mountain, in a 'plane, train or a boat (though the pages might get soggy).

DCN

:clap:

Amen well said. I've lugged off tons of reading material on long flights, including newspapers and I've spent hundreds having my paper mailed to me when I was in the carribbean. There is nothing like having it in your hands. I'm not going to enjoy my evening meal and magazine at my computer am I? Magazines like Motorsport have long been my company at restaurant meals also and that's not going to happen on a computer.

John

Advertisement

#120 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:48

I agree that internet-based publications do not supplant hardcopy material. Messing around with a laptop on a train, on a plane or in bed (steady on there!) is awkward and uncomfortable. And laptops tend to overheat my knees when I read electronic material in bed.

Internet material is wonderful and offers many advantages that hardcopy lacks. But it still doesn't replace it. It supplements it. There have been occasions when I've dug out all my 1976 - or whenever - Autosports and spread them all over my bedroom floor. Lots of colours, evocative headlines, wonderful memories and fun. Just touching them, flicking through their pages and stacking them is a source of pleasure too, because they represent the tangible remains of a very happy period when I was obsessed with this sport. The rest is grey matter and ether.

Contemplating a pile of floppies or CD-ROMs does not produce the same effect.

Anyway, this is beside the point. Back to MS. As a lesser mortal, living outside the UK, I haven't got mine yet...

Edward.

#121 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 182 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:10

I bought the latest issue of Motor Sport (insert capitalisations and spaces where you wish) an hour ago. Having read this thread for the last couple of day I was fully expecting, while reading it, my eyes to roll around, bleed and fall out as a result.

The new logo is crap, of course, but most magazines have a logo AND layout change every two years or so. To me (and I can only offer my personal opinion), it seems totally consistent with magazine layouts today. The content is about the same, but it's distributed differently on the page. I'll admit it here - I'm only 28 and thus cannot remember the glory days of Jenks etc., but to some it would seem Motor Sport was regarded as an 'old fart's' magazine, and now that readership is denigrating it for not being old and farty enough. :)

The question is (and I know I'm being very opinionated and contentious here) do the 'historic' and 'nostalgic' fans want today's young motor racing fans to have an interest in the history of the sport, or do they want to keep it to themselves and declare that 'easy routes' to history be closed off to all those who think are 'unworthy'?

(I'm sorry for the opinions and all that. Must be this bottle of Argentinian Sangiovese..)

#122 Tom Vandenhecke

Tom Vandenhecke

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:24

Originally posted by ian senior
I can only assume that publishers are convinced that we can now only accept information if it is wrapped up in bite-sized pieces. This may well apply to the Play Station Generation, but that ain't me. So listen here, Haymarket et al - it's not just 20 year olds that buy magazines these days. We grumpy old men have purchasing power too.

I can assure you, as a 24 year old, I hate the new look Motor Sport too. If I understand it correctly than according to Motor Sport staff we 20 year olds should only like red covers, stories with big pictures and little text. Well that certainly doesn't apply for me, in fact all of my friends hate the new look Motor Sport.
Motor Sport used to stand out from all the other magazines. I don't know any other magazines that have a green cover. Don't think I will continue to buy it. They have destroyed what once used to be an interesting read. I seriously doubt the sales will increase...

Just wanted to point out that not only the "older" generation hates the new look...

#123 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:30

It's not a question of 'old farts' or of generations.

It's a question of quality.

At the ripe old age of 43, I can listen to the music that my 15 year-old son likes and I can enjoy it, or not. Good music, good magazines and good anything will always be good, whether they appeared in 1950 or in 1990.

The question is whether the new version/layout/content or whatever is an improvement on the old version/layout/content.

Edward

#124 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:33

Fairly easy answer here. I'm an old fart myself, and speaking as one, anything that encourages younger people to take an interest in the history of motor sport is a Very Good Thing. But it doesn't have to be done in such a way that people of my generation ( "hope I die before I get old", etc) start to feel alienated.

The trick is to keep both sides happy. Looks as though Hayloft have failed.

#125 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:59

Originally posted by David Beard

I refuse to open mine.

Haymarket won't care if you read it, as long as you buy it.

It's a shame that the only way they're likely to listen is if a significant number of current readers stop buying the magazine.
The dangerous aspect of a drop in readership is that they may just decide to close down the whole thing instead of making changes to restore the faith of the people they are currently alienating. ):

#126 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 14:00

It's been made much more difficult to read, to the point where you say "Oh to hell with it I can't be bothered" Miniscule (it must be too small to have a font size) type face in far too many places - yet in bold to make it even more indistinct. Text printed over photographs, printed over grey background, red text, its a literary obstacle course.

It's one hell of a mess - do Haymarket also own "SpecSavers" ? because if you try reading this you will be sure its time to go to the opticians.

Contrast this to Britain's biggest selling motoring magazine "Auto Express" which sells 103,000 copies each WEEK (Motorsports- 30,000 per month) where effortlessly you can read every word a clear logical and spacious layout.

This is all such a terrible shame.

#127 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 14:10

The red colour still doesn't stand out on the shelves in TESCO - because it isn't there!
200+ other titles are, - some of them very obscure which must have tiny circulations, like it or not Supermarkets are weekly one stop impulse buy stores - the only place many people go.

How can you buy something if its not there ?

#128 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 19:54

Originally posted by Arturo Pereira
I did not like what I saw :rolleyes: Imho, TNF can very well replace Motorsport :wave:

TNF has served as my replacement since I found it. Replacement for the pre 1993 versions, that is.

#129 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 20:10

Well, I was a bit pessimistic after reading all those posts, but having bought it today, I don't think it's bad at all.

Sure, it's a shame the traditional green cover's gone, but the content still seems fine. I enjoyed Jackie Oliver on the GT/GT40, and the "Teenage Clicks" photos -what a great pic of Moss and Fangio!

And I like the Wheel to Wheel section.

The "Top 50 partnerships" though, is as silly as these lists normally are.

Someone mentioned that they thought it may have been changed to compete with Octane. I don't think that's true at all - there are no articles on wristwatches, yachts, polo etc, and thank God for that.

So, at the risk of being blackballed - on the whole, I like it!

John

#130 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 20:47

Originally posted by SEdward

Good music, good magazines and good anything will always be good, whether they appeared in 1950 or in 1990.

And that's a good point!

My most frequent 'reading' material? My 1970s Autosprints. The enthusiasm with which those magazines were put together is utterly timeless and oozes from every page...

And I've looked (deliberately double-hard, so as not to miss the new front cover) in well over half a dozen places now; motorway shops, local newsagents, supermarkets and - like Ian says - it just isn't there!

Twinny :

#131 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,246 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 21:03

I don't think they've made any special effort as regards increasing supply: as some of you know, I run a convenience store. My supply last month - 3. Supply this month - 3. Usually a relaunch means at least a small supply uplift (it's called a box-out in the trade) plus an attempt to interest the buyers in chains which might not have stocked it in the past (like Tesco). Ho-hum .....

#132 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 21:07

This sounds like the familiar story from the '80s when Comag distributed most, if not all, the Haymarket motoring titles... (They're not still doing it, are they?!)

#133 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,246 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 21:57

Not sure - I'm one step down the food chain from that.

BTW, at least two TNFers get a name check in this month's issue .....

#134 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 22:18

Originally posted by JohnS
...at the risk of being blackballed - on the whole, I like it!...John

Nobody here is about to blackball you John - thank goodness somebody here likes it - good for you.

Twinny - I too am an 'Autosprint' fan - it actually led the way down the gossip, shock, horror tabloid trail in the 1970s yet still more than compensated with its burgeoning enthusiasm, good heart...and some pretty darned good technical material... Let's hear it for the Eyeties...

DCN

#135 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:03

This is exactly why, as much as I like TNF, it can never be quite what it should be. It can never replace the ragged, uneven collection of books, magazines, and notes that I can enjoy unplugged. That is one of the reasons I am so bent out of shape by the fact that several formerly steadfast guides have simply lost the bubble.

#136 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:17

I have not seen the new issue. Every month I visit Autobooks here in southern California and plunk down (near) 10 bucks for the latest edition of Motor Sport. I'm always satisfied, more or less. I may be very disappointed when I see the new issue and, given what's been posted, might, for the first time in years, decide not to purchase it. It's the only motor racing mag I buy. Being an old ex-journalism student, I was instructed that the majority of magazine covers are "too busy" and Motor Sport has been "guilty" of that like the others. That they want to change an identifiable cover seems silly but I can live with it. I can live with a layout change. But if the content is inferior, I will have to pass. They will have shot themselves in the foot.

#137 MCS

MCS

• 3,546 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 18:31

Well, I've read it now (for what that's worth) and I'm really not happy with it.

It's layout is really higgledy-piggledy, with some pictures bled to the edges of the page and others not - frankly it's a real mess. From an aesthetic point of view it's a disaster and there's not much to commend it as far as the "articles" or content are concerned.

The Top 50 stuff is garbage, but I'll bet these "lists" appear for at least a few more months - or until the readership and subscriptions drop significantly enough.

In a word, terrible.

RTH and Twinny are right by the way - I've been out and about to-day and I haven't seen it anywhere!!!

MCS

#138 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 19:51

And that's a good point!

My most frequent 'reading' material? My 1970s Autosprints. The enthusiasm with which those magazines were put together is utterly timeless and oozes from every page...

And I've looked (deliberately double-hard, so as not to miss the new front cover) in well over half a dozen places now; motorway shops, local newsagents, supermarkets and - like Ian says - it just isn't there!

Twinny :

Indeed, didn't notice it in my local WHSmith or Borders - in fact WHS still had last month's issue on display as of lunchtime Thursday!

Can't say I'm too surprised at the redesign, it looks like a mix of Autosport and F1 Racing, whereas I think taking a leaf out of C&SC's book would be nearer the mark. The content seems a little brasher and more trivial. I don't think it's as good as the previous incarnation, but certainly not declined (yet) to a subscription-ending level and is about what I expected. Haymarket seem more interested in churn and capturing a new audience than keeping regulars.

#139 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 20:49

Finally I found one!! Although I had to hunt for it, as it was hidden behind some other rag...

My initial impression - for what it's worth - is somewhat similar to Pete's, although I've not actually read anything yet.

Divorcing myself from my feelings regarding the demise of the green cover, I find the new version 'ok'. The masthead is fairly strong, viewing it as I am in isolation. What I don't like is the main pic (nor the choice of lead story, frankly) as it's not the retro shot (of whatever) I would have hoped for.

The contents spread works well, but the lead news story is - again - of a current nature, but that's unavoidable and just unfortunate timing-wise I guess. I like the rest of the news pages, but the aesthetics plummet as early as the Revival reportage...

I positively hate and detest the way the images are laid out; butting up to one another like that. It says to me 'amateur shite' I'm afraid, and made even worse by bleeding half of them too - to the great detriment of some very nice shots. The 4-side bleed page for NSR's column looks equally crap as it leaves his final two columns floating disjointedly and lost. Actually, it resembles some of the eyesores we produced in a lot of the early '80s Autosports, after we'd been let loose with some colour pages for the first time...

Regrettably, large chunks of the remainder of the issue suffer from similar treatment, but the pages which have escaped, to my eye, look pretty good. The 50 'whatevers' is a bollocks idea, but t'was ever thus.

So for me, purely on a look-see basis, I'm just really disappointed with the dreadful layout which predominates and therefore detracts enormously from the overall product. Please god they fix that - it ain't hard - for the next issue, as the rest of it looks fine...

Twinny :

BTW is it my imagination, or does the attractive female pictured in conversation with G Hill on p37 bear a striking resemblance to Nina Rindt?!

Advertisement

#140 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,246 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 21:40

Product of the "cut and paste" school of page design? There's no coherent style anywhere, there are too many typefaces - some of which are downright ugly: what's that "stencil" type all about?

And they've dropped the continual page numbering too: if you bind your copies, it will now mean that each issue starts from page 1 again - they had retained the old system alongside the new. No longer ....

#141 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 22:22

Originally posted by Vitesse2
what's that "stencil" type all about?

I rather hoped that the idea was to echo the race numbering style sometimes applied to the Lancia D50 :

#142 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,026 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 00:05

I suspect that Haymarket's planners are already working out how to close MOTOR SPORT down. The usual way is to merge with another title in the same group "for the benefit of all readers".

Which will it be?

#143 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 00:23

Originally posted by Roger Clark
I suspect that Haymarket's planners are already working out how to close MOTOR SPORT down. The usual way is to merge with another title in the same group "for the benefit of all readers".

Which will it be?

C&SC, obviously.

"OLD FART CAR MONTHLY - For anyone over 12 who finds Autosport and F1 Racing Insufficiently Intellectually Rigorous".

#144 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:15

Having finally tracked down a copy in WHSmiths on Saturday I was prepared to be sorely disappointed, but overall it's not too bad.

The loss of BRG is pulled sharply into focus as soon as you open the magazine when you see the August 1979 cover. There's nothing like giving the readers a taste of what once was, and what will be!

The new red title itself looks more like a headline than a title. A magazine needs a defining image, or 'look' and this doesn't have it. It's certainly visible and clean, but undistinguished.

As others have pointed out the layout is confused and the choice & use of typeface chaotic.

On the plus side, the content is still there. They've made an attempt to organise it into palatable chunks (P1, Speed, Wheel to Wheel). Everything that's in the October 2004 issue could have been in September's - it just looks different.

I'm not a subscriber, nor am I someone who religiously buys a copy every month but I have been reading MotorSport for many years, and reading more regularly in recent years. I don't see anything in the new MotorSport that will stop me doing so from now on.

Change is inevitable and often uncomfortable, but not always negative. If the magazine is able to continue as a result of these changes then that's good news, although I would like to ask Paul Fearnley why the move was "in some ways forced upon us." If it was to fall into line with a Haymarket 'theme' then they've missed the point. If it was to reflect changes in the sport then they might be forgiven.

#145 MCS

MCS

• 3,546 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:21

Finally I found one!! Although I had to hunt for it, as it was hidden behind some other rag...

My initial impression - for what it's worth - is somewhat similar to Pete's, although I've not actually read anything yet.

Divorcing myself from my feelings regarding the demise of the green cover, I find the new version 'ok'. The masthead is fairly strong, viewing it as I am in isolation. What I don't like is the main pic (nor the choice of lead story, frankly) as it's not the retro shot (of whatever) I would have hoped for.

The contents spread works well, but the lead news story is - again - of a current nature, but that's unavoidable and just unfortunate timing-wise I guess. I like the rest of the news pages, but the aesthetics plummet as early as the Revival reportage...

I positively hate and detest the way the images are laid out; butting up to one another like that. It says to me 'amateur shite' I'm afraid, and made even worse by bleeding half of them too - to the great detriment of some very nice shots. The 4-side bleed page for NSR's column looks equally crap as it leaves his final two columns floating disjointedly and lost. Actually, it resembles some of the eyesores we produced in a lot of the early '80s Autosports, after we'd been let loose with some colour pages for the first time...

Regrettably, large chunks of the remainder of the issue suffer from similar treatment, but the pages which have escaped, to my eye, look pretty good. The 50 'whatevers' is a bollocks idea, but t'was ever thus.

So for me, purely on a look-see basis, I'm just really disappointed with the dreadful layout which predominates and therefore detracts enormously from the overall product. Please god they fix that - it ain't hard - for the next issue, as the rest of it looks fine...

Twinny :

BTW is it my imagination, or does the attractive female pictured in conversation with G Hill on p37 bear a striking resemblance to Nina Rindt?!

It does look awful, doesn't it? ):

I reckon the girl pictured with Hill looks like Francoise Hardy - aka as Lisa (Nino Barlini's girlfriend in the "Grand Prix" movie) ;)

MCS

#146 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:27

I think she is Barbro Peterson, if you look at the shape of the mouth, nose, and forehead and compare with the many pictures of Barbro in Alan Henry's "Superswede" it looks to me very like the same lady, lovely though Nina was - I don't think that's her nose.

Ronnie & Barbro had a daughter they called Nina, - she will now be 29 - probably older than her mother in that picture!

#147 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,246 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:10

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Which will it be?

The same thought had occurred to me, Roger. And as Pete says, they have a ready-made solution in C&SC, which sells about three times as many copies ....

#148 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:50

Trouble is - if they do merge, C&SC will probably go "red top" as well.

Maybe they hope people will buy these mags by mistake when they thought they were buying "The Sun" or "The Daily Mirror".

Way back in 1972, I started buying a new fortnightly aviation newspaper entitled "Aviation News". It was styled deliberately to look like a tabloid - printed on newsprint with a red masthead. However, after two years, they changed the masthead to blue. What was the thinking there, I wonder? Were they worried it looked too much like other newspapers?

In 1983 they changed from fortnightly to monthly and adopted a magazine rather than a newspaper format - with a return to the original red masthead, and in 1994 went bust.

I wonder is there a moral in there somewhere?

#149 dolomite

dolomite

• 950 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:43

I've just acquired a copy of the new issue from my local W H Smith this morning. Was interested to note that they still had the previous month's green cover issue on display also, on the next shelf down. Maybe they didn't realise it's (supposed to be) the same magazine?

#150 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 21:17

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
Trouble is - if they do merge, C&SC will probably go "red top" as well.

Maybe they hope people will buy these mags by mistake when they thought they were buying "The Sun" or "The Daily Mirror".

Way back in 1972, I started buying a new fortnightly aviation newspaper entitled "Aviation News". It was styled deliberately to look like a tabloid - printed on newsprint with a red masthead. However, after two years, they changed the masthead to blue. What was the thinking there, I wonder? Were they worried it looked too much like other newspapers?

In 1983 they changed from fortnightly to monthly and adopted a magazine rather than a newspaper format - with a return to the original red masthead, and in 1994 went bust.

I wonder is there a moral in there somewhere?

Well, given that Haymarket's stable consists of Autosport - red-top tabloid crud - F1 Racing - red-top lifestyle crud - Motor Sport - red top hiding still-decent content - and C&SC - magazine written by and for enthusiasts and still featuring sensible design.... you can see which way the trend is going..... :(