• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#1451 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 13:14

Originally posted by john aston

4.No more bite size reviews of books...

Absolutely. If I'm going to pay anywhere between 20 and 100 quid for a book I want to know it's going to be good. Two or three anodyne sentences aren't going to cut it, unless it's an author whose work I am willing to buy sight unseen. I would like to see MS ditching some of the lifestyle crud and using the space for a good strong unbiased review section. Hell, if they can't find someone to read long books for them I'd even write for it if someone twisted my arm hard enough ;)

Not sure the model 'reviews' are worth it. The photography's very bland, I'm sure the serious modellers all get Four Small Wheels anyway, and what can you really say about a model?

C&SC's reviews used to be quite good, but still on the shortish side.

Advertisement

#1452 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 14:24

I quite like the latest issue - definately better than the last copy - longer articles. Worth a fiver I'd say.

#1453 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,569 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 17:54

Originally posted by smarjoram
I quite like the latest issue - Worth a fiver I'd say.

Don't say that , for heaven's sake, they'll put the price up again!!!!!!!!!!!!, perceived value relative to position in the market etc, ie what they think the punters will pay.

But is it good value c/w C&SC at £4 retail (but with thinner paper), (much less for subs.), even at the new, non-negotiated sub rate of £11.85 per quarter, thicker, glossier paper notwithstanding?

Is Mr Nott's plan to build it up in a new format, whatever that may turn out to be, with a new, fickle readership, and sell on the franchise? I only asked.........

RL

#1454 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 19:15

:wave: Got the latest MS today...no comment ,but I would dearly like to know whose and what car Bandini is leaning on , on page 26 ???? Anyone ??

#1455 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 19:20

my July copy arrived on July 16th.... well after the August one hit the shelves, I'm closer to the MS office than someone in Glasgow. Its nuts.

#1456 Red Rat racer

Red Rat racer

• 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 23:35

:clap: :up: Thank goodness Motorsport has returned to the Green format....I don't know how Mr Boddy felt about the changes when it went went red.....but I beleive the editorial style suffered during that period.....here's hoping that we see a return to top form under the banner of the Green.

Dead Rat Racer.....or is that the Red Rat :cool:

#1457 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 00:40

I'm disappointed. When I read the title of this thread, I thought you meant this "Green One".

Just look at 'er - lovely smooth sidepods, no winglets, no viking horns, no bargeboards ... ahhhhh

#1458 Red Rat racer

Red Rat racer

• 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:06

Is that a magazine rack on the rear of that 7up beast.....Maybe I can store my collection of the green one there.

#1459 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,221 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:25

Originally posted by David Hyland
Just look at 'er - lovely smooth sidepods, no winglets, no viking horns, no bargeboards ... ahhhhh

:up: :up:

The last really attractive F1 car, IMHO.

Advertisement

#1460 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,569 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 23:21

Saw this on another thread and thought it might fit here, hint to MS for subject matter ,as an example;

Willem's article is in the July/August 2006 edition of Vintage Motorsport. It has a 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 on the cover. Willem's article is entitled Caged Lion Maserati Tipo 60/61 History. Excellent article. To get the magazine go to www.vintagemotorsport.com

RL

#1461 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 15:00

I quickly flicked through the August issue of Motor Sport magazine in WH Smiths the other day...the first thought that came to my mind was "What a lovely front cover :)" Green again and with a hint of the old white lines that used to appear on the magazines for 30 years (?). I opened it up, but was unfortunately disappointed. The articles were alright (not very interesting to me, but I'm sure a lot of other people found them interesting), but the thing that disappointed me was the amount of adverts. There was a mishmash of articles and adverts spread all through the magazine and it looked very untidy. It seemed that there were more advertisements than articles :confused: Not only that, but it seemed like there were only a few articles in the magazine, compared to the days when I actually bought the magazine (2001 to 2004). I may be wrong, because I only flicked through the pages for about 5 minutes, but that was my initial impression.

#1462 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 16:06

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
There was a mishmash of articles and adverts spread all through the magazine

...and that's heading towards the point that worries me - far too many articles are about cars that just happen to be up for sale/auction, and far too many articles are about people "in the carriage trade" -- there's a little too much advertorial in there for my taste.

#1463 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 16:26

I was looking through the 1997 Motorsport magazines the other day - the first 'historic' ones. There were far more articles in those magazines, far less pages with adverts on and the price was only £2.75 (it'd just gone up from £2.25 and there were letters of complaint about that in the Letters section :eek:). I'd happily buy the magazine for £2.75, but definitely not for the price it is now. Autosport is 'only' £2.90, F1 Racing magazine is what, £3.95, but it's got a lot of pages in it and there's not too many ads. The current quality of Motor Sport doesn't justify the price - if I want to read ads, I'll buy Auto Trader or look on the internet.

#1464 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 14:16

Hi everybody !

I am trying to find an article about the Piper or Maranello Concessionaires Ferrari 412 P (red with a pale blue strip), driven by Richard Attwood published in Motorsport, I think in 1997.

Does anybody remember this ?

VBR.
André Acker.

#1465 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,317 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 16:20

Pete
That confirms my comment made following first "new publisher" issue, the photographs were for poseurs and the advertising diected at non cognescenti (pretentious MOI!)
JF

#1466 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 19:18

I suspect that the publishers have taken a policy decision to target people who own and/or race historic vehicles, rather than readers who are interested in the history of the sport.

There has been a flourish of articles and regular new features about auctions and significant vehicles that are up for sale. Some time ago, sometone posted a pointer to a document published by MS that was intended, I assume, for their potential advertisers. In this document, they described the profile of their typical readers as owning historical vehicles. They have defined their target and now they are turning the magazine around to face that target.

I still feel the publication is woefully shallow. The article on Andretti at Le Mans was an excellent and original idea, but the execution was pathetic. The big interview with JYS was anything but big, containing nothing new, apart from the fact that Stewart thinks that Cevert was as good as Schumacher. Roebuck's Legends are anything but that, the last two seeming particularly purposeless and vacuous, trying to create an article on the strength of a quote or two from former greats.

Hardly an issue goes by without some feature or other about Sir Stirling and there is usually a token quote from Chris Amon somewhere in there too.

I am not optimistic.

Edward

#1467 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,569 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:20

Originally posted by Andre Acker
Hi everybody !

I am trying to find an article about the Piper or Maranello Concessionaires Ferrari 412 P (red with a pale blue strip), driven by Richard Attwood published in Motorsport, I think in 1997.

Does anybody remember this ?

VBR.
André Acker.

You may find something useful in chapter 7 of Doug Nye's book, The Colonel's Ferraris.

RL

#1468 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 16:12

Thanks for the information.
But was there an article in Motorsport April/97 issue ?

VBR.
André Acker.

#1469 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 20:01

Originally posted by Andre Acker
Thanks for the information.
But was there an article in Motorsport April/97 issue ?

VBR.
André Acker.

Hi Andre,

The 412P is on the front cover of the April 97 issue of Motor Sport.

Inside the magazine there's a double page picture followed by a six page article.

Hope this helps. :)

#1470 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 20:11

Hi Shockabuku ,

Thanks for the information, I've been looking for this article as a fool but could not find it and I was wondering if it really was published in Motorsport ...
Now I have to find who took this magazine away and try to get it back !

Many thanks and VBR.
André Acker.

#1471 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 761 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 19:33

Hi - has any one else received their subscription copy of the September issue yet? Its sitting on the shelf in my local Tesco (!) but mine hasnt arrived. When i spoke to the nice lady in the subscriptions department, the one whose fault it isn't, she said i should have had it by now..

#1472 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 19:44

mine certainly hasn't arrived !!

#1473 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 761 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 19:53

Hi Gary - im wondering if theyre confusing August and September at the subs dept , Aug only arrived a couple of weeks ago here in darkest Narrfak..

#1474 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 20:39

hi Peter, nice to have you back with us !!

#1475 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,876 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 20:56

Before everybody starts on this one, may I refer you to my post of a month or so ago?

http://forums.autosp...186#post2418186

:)

Oh, and I have to say that this month's issue (apart from the Can-Am article) looks a bit uninspiring at first glance.

Yes - newstrade copies have already penetrated the depths of Somerset as well as Norfolk!

#1476 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 761 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 20:57

Originally posted by Gary C
hi Peter, nice to have you back with us !!

Thanks, Gary, actually ive never been away! The Radical has taken most of my time this past 18 months which has limited my posting, but ive been lurking the whole time.....

#1477 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 761 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 21:03

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Before everybody starts on this one, may I refer you to my post of a month or so ago?

http://forums.autosp...186#post2418186

:)

Oh, and I have to say that this month's issue (apart from the Can-Am article) looks a bit uninspiring at first glance.

Yes - newstrade copies have already penetrated the depths of Somerset as well as Norfolk!

Hi - yes i did read that at the time and thought of it when i saw Sept on the newstand. I was just wondering if my sub. copy had gone astray, and since i am a lttle sceptical about what ive been told earlier by the subs dept i was wondering if anyone has recieved it that way yet?

#1478 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:21

Stop whinging! We have only just seen the first green copy down here. ;) (and after a quick look at the counter I put it back on the shelf, what a waste if paper!)

#1479 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:26

Just received my September issue..... once again, I am really not impressed at all.

It's not that I don't like sports cars and saloon racing but there is precious little else to be seen anywhere this time.

If you like single-seaters, basically you are left with the Festival of Speed report and the speed comparison feature.

For me, the end is now very near....

Advertisement

#1480 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,058 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:41

Mine arrived this morning.. after a quick browse I agree with Barry :|
Rob

#1481 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:48

Originally posted by Barry Boor
For me, the end is now very near....

Very sorry to hear that Barry, our condolences to Mrs Boor.

#1482 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:34

:cat: why not to mrs.Ryder?

#1483 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:44

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
:cat: why not to mrs.Ryder?

However complicated Barry's domestic arrangements are, it's really no concern of ours.

#1484 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,640 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 14:43

Why isn't it really gripping me? It isn't, and I think it is because one article of interest isn't sufficient for the price. The reviews, and books in particular, are dire. For example, the Brian Laban book is at least six months old and the space given for review is pitiful.

It's only worth keeping if it stands as a work of reference or record, and it doesn't.

#1485 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,093 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 16:26

Well, if there's only one or two pages worth reading, then there's nothing stopping you reading it in the shop for free and putting it back on the shelf when you're finished. :p

#1486 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 761 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 22:28

Mine arrived this morning too. Have to agree that the CanAm feature was worth it in part, but that's about it. I'll give it till the end of this quarters direct debit and take a view. Thats coming from someone with a complete run from 1948 to the end of the Jenks era, i could pick out just about any copy from there at random and find something that would get more of my attention. Just exactly what are they getting wrong?

#1487 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:16

They are also not as hot on acknowledging errors now that they have reduced their letters pages to one page. I sent in an e-mail pointing out the following:

'On page 57 of the August 2005 edition of Motor Sport, in the piece on Porsche 911’s and their rallying heritage, you have a picture captioned “Björn Waldegård completes a personal Swedish Rally hatrick in 1969.” However, if you look closely at the race number on the car, you can see that the sponsor of the rally is the Daily Mirror. Thus I believe that the photo comes from the 1971 RAC Rally (Waldegård had the same race number, but a different registered car), not the 1969 Swedish.'

Haven't heard a thing from them. I definitely get the sense from the latest issue that if you don't have a classic race car in your possesion then they aren't really that interested in you.

#1488 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:37

I'm having trouble deciding whether page 16 ("Matters of moment: desirables") is serious or a joke... if the latter, who would it be poking fun at? The readers? Folk who might actually like that stuff? Not if they are readers, I suppose. Surely not the people who make the suff - but that depends on whether they've paid for the advertorial or not.
It's gradually losing me, I'm afraid. Not particularly due to the content per se, but the attitude.

#1489 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:16

Originally posted by 2F-001
I'm having trouble deciding whether page 16 ("Matters of moment: desirables") is serious or a joke... if the latter, who would it be poking fun at? The readers? Folk who might actually like that stuff? Not if they are readers, I suppose. Surely not the people who make the suff - but that depends on whether they've paid for the advertorial or not.
It's gradually losing me, I'm afraid. Not particularly due to the content per se, but the attitude.

It's either satirising Octane readers, or it's deadly serious and the shiver I'm feeling is Jenks spinning in his grave at what they've done to his magazine.

#1490 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,317 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 13:25

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Taylor
[QUOTE]Well, if there's only one or two pages worth reading, then there's nothing stopping you reading it in the shop for free and putting it back on the shelf when you're finished. :p [/QUOTE[/QUOTE]

That's what's bloody well annoying me. I've already paid for it!!!!!

#1491 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 13:44

Originally posted by petefenelon

It's either satirising Octane readers, or it's deadly serious and the shiver I'm feeling is Jenks spinning in his grave at what they've done to his magazine.

1 I think they seem to be simply following the Octane format, aspiring to attract or appeal to the same demographic.

2 Imagine what poor Mr Boddy must think and feel if they actually trouble to send him a copy............

3 At least they have now given Simon Taylor a respectable number of words. The Editor chap told me that they had some good subjects lined up for lunch with ST. I am still waiting for parts 2 and 3 of the Mosely interview. Simon's status and experience mean that he can open doors at which some of them could not even get to knock). I just hope they are smart enough to realise just what an asset base he is. All they need to do now is to give NSR a freer rein.

Roger Lund.

#1492 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 171 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 17:28

Well I've given up, I cancelled my subscription today. There is very little of interest to me in the current format, and unfortunately, quite a few things that I find annoying.

-------------
Welsh Motor Sport History

#1493 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 20:36

I still haven't received my copy yet!!

#1494 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 20:44

Received my copy a couple of days ago. I have to agree. Apart from the Can-Am article I found nothing else of any substance. The poorest issue I've read for a good while. I am, however, looking forward to next month's board-track feature.

#1495 jo-briggs

jo-briggs

• 175 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 21:44

We old-uns were spoiled by both the subject matter and the sheer quality of the writing of Olympians like Dennis Jenkinson. I recall when, as a twelve year old, I came across a stack of Motor Sport magazines in a cupboard in the school Car Club. It was these issues from the mid fifties that aroused my interest in motor racing, I spent hours sitting crosslegged on a greasy concrete floor while I voraciously devoured page after page of sheer magic; I read of Tony Brooks exploits in the Connaught in Syracuse, of the desparate bad luck that followed BRM round like raincloud on a string. I gazed in wonder at photos of Fangio, Menditeguy and Jean Behra opposite locking their way down the hills of Rouen in 250Fs. I was absorbed by Jenks account of Moss' win in the Mille Miglia, of the unravelling of the toilet roll, the over-eager, almost suicidal, spectators.

There was a romantic side to motor racing then that disappeared with the arrival of Yardley and John Player, it then became about money, the acquisition of it, the spending of it, and now the bean counters have taken over completely; we no longer have spectators, but viewing units; success is no longer counted by the number of spectators attending, but by the revenue that can be generated by television advertising within the the time span of a Grand Prix. The drivers are tied to the World Championship on pain of excommunication, no more treats for the dedicated motor racing fans; no days of half a GP grid turning up for a Bank Holiday Saloon Car race, no modern Stirling Moss' turning out for 3 races in one day. Motor Racing is going the way of football, with fans so dedicated to one team or driver that all others are the enemy, you only have to read this Forum to see the hardliners distain of anyone who doesn't agree that things are perfect. We have a Dictator at the head of the beauraucracy, a megolomaniac in charge of the money, and cars under the control of software writers moving things ever closer to the concept of the driverless car, and now, the sound-bite motoring journalist; LJK Setright where are you now that we need you......

#1496 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:41

I'm almost giving up on magazines. Nothing can beat the pleasure of sitting down in your favourite chair with a good magazine and a nice glass of wine or beer, but it's a diminishing pleasure these days. I can get a better standard of writing, information, research, anecdotes and humour on here.

#1497 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:51

Total agreement Ian, the only trouble is that the co-owner of the house seems to think that I would be better employed doing odd jobs around the place. She can recognise reading as a useful pastime as she does a lot herself, but sit over an ordinateur (why can't the French call it computer like we civilised Anglophones) and I'm wasting time which could be occupied in gardening or decorating.

#1498 jo-briggs

jo-briggs

• 175 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:00

I have a wife like that - I just ignore everything but the occasional grass mow (I refuse to call it a lawn, it has more ups and downs than the Cotswolds)

#1499 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,023 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 16:44

My wife has discovered a tents and camping forum. So we fight for the computer - she with virtual camping and me with virtual motor sport spectating etc.

And back on thread, the current edition is the worst yet. Apart from the Can Am article there is nothing. Most definitely nothing to justify the almost doubling of my subscription. The jury is still out but I suspect they are coming to a verdict.

Advertisement

#1500 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 17:53

I wonder if the new owners look at this thread like the previous ones did.

I suspect not!