'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#1551 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:31

Originally posted by kayemod

Have any of you lot thought about writing to The Times with your complaints about the non-appearance of Motor Sport? This thread is becoming depressingly reminiscent of their annual 'First cuckoo of spring' correspondence.

...and if Stratfield were responsible for the first cuckoo of Spring we'd probably still be waiting now in September? ;P

Advertisement

#1552 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:15

No sign of it yet in the land of skirt-wearing men. :confused:

#1553 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:35

For what it's worth, I 'phoned the subscription services number to enquire. A packaging problem at the printers, apparently (i.e. not my fault, gov) and the UK subscriber editions should all have been sent out on Tuesday 5 August so 'should be delivered within the next couple of days'. I gather that all that is done by the people at the subscription dept (not itself part of Stratfield) is to pass the labels to the printers, so not a lot of point in complaining to them. At the end of the day, Startfield appoint their suppliers (e.g. subscription services, printers), so it's their responsibility.

#1554 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 756 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:35

not arrived in norfolk either. i saw it in motorbooks, central london last thursday!

#1555 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:33

No sign in the Principality either. At tjhe revival I was walking past the MS tent at about 6.30pm on Saturday evening and looked at the free book offer. I was approached on the stand by a young male and asked if everything was OK. I explaimned that it was not, briefly giving him my views on the subs hike and concern about the future of the magazine. I explained that I had spoken to the Ed previously, and he said he was the Ed.

He took on board the comments etc , and was aware of TNF, and assured me that they were taking note. Articles should be longer, he said, and over a wider range of topics. he has some good subjects lined up for Simon Taylor and urged me to believe him. Circulation is up 40 odd percent, he said, but failed to indicate from what base.

I was assured that my copy would be on the mat when I got home, or on Monday.

Today I rang the MS office, and the Ed is on his hols. The very helpful girl/woman who answered, explained that there was a prblem at the printers, see post above, but when I pointed out that copies were available at newsagents and on saturday at the Revival, it transpored that the copies for retail outlets are printed first, with subscriber issues done afterwards. The printing problem, or packaging issue arose between the two prints.

I am assured that the magazine would be in the post yesterday/today and with me in the next few days. We shall see.

BTW, whilst I forget the exact figure, something around £55 per year IIRC, (I am ready to be corrected) the difference between the usurious new rate which has been foist upon us without notice or negotiation, and new subscription rate, for which you get the free book, is more than the value of the book.

With Octane, C&SC and Classic Cars all around £35 /£38 pa, (ignoring Ed McD's special VRCJ rate for TNFERs, and good it is too), MS really seem to be placing themselves a long way from their much hoped-for new readership, unless historic race car owners like a glossy fanzine or seek guidance on designer watches and sofas made out of old Zodiac bench seats.

My subscription continuation tolerance seems to be lasting as long as our Prime Minister's reported swansong.

BTW, this month's VRCJ has a nice article on one of the ex le Mans Sunbeam Alpines. Not the most exciting car, then or now, but well written, with lots of stuff I did not know, and going over half a dozen pages, rather like the stuff the redoubtable VSCC publishes on intersting marques, and never fails to please. Something different, knowledgeably written, retaining your interest. That is all we ask for. The price is then almost academic.

Roger Lund

#1556 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:48

Originally posted by bradbury west
.... well written, with lots of stuff I did not know, and going over half a dozen pages, rather like the stuff the redoubtable VSCC publishes on intersting marques, and never fails to please. Something different, knowledgeably written, retaining your interest. That is all we ask for. The price is then almost academic.

Roger Lund

It's not too much to ask, is it? Or is it?

#1557 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,672 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:48

Not arrived in West Lancs. yet, but I never usually get it (MS that is...) until about the 10th at the earliest.

#1558 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:53

The official line from the "prescriptions" department is that dispatch of the latest issue is delayed due to packaging problems.............

#1559 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:58

Originally posted by bill patterson
The official line from the "prescriptions" department is that dispatch of the latest issue is delayed due to packaging problems.............

All this kind of thing reminds me of stories I heard back in the 70s about people not getting paid because of "problems with the computer" - a cover-all excuse for almost anything in the early days of business computers, but which were in fact often a prelude to the Company going bust....

Advertisement

#1560 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 756 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 13:28

"All this kind of thing reminds me of stories I heard back in the 70s about people not getting paid because of "problems with the computer" - a cover-all excuse for almost anything in the early days of business computers, but which were in fact often a prelude to the Company going bust...."

i suppose the cynical view would be that theres cashflow to be had from selling in the retail sector, but not from sending out the subscription copies. Because WE'VE ALREADY PAID HAVEN'T WE....

and whilst in mid rant, is it normal practice to print subscription copies AFTER the retail copies?

allegedly.

mr.fawlty

:mad:

#1561 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 13:59

Anybody want to sell me the '40 years of Can-Am' issue already? :)

I'm a Can-Am-Fan and missed the issue :(

#1562 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 15:21

I also haven't received my October Motor Sport yet, this is the most delayed my copy has been so far. In Haymarket's time I used to get it about four or five days before it appeared in the shops.

When I analyse it, the only reason I buy the magazine is because I have always bought it. As it is no longer a "must read" and I only flick through it each month and as the current regime has tried my patience to breaking point I cannot think of a reason to renew my subscription when it expires.

I would just add that I don't flatter myself that the publisher will be at all bothered by the loss of my subscription because as I have said before in this thread I am not part of their target market but I will at least save myself some money that I can put to better use.

David

#1563 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,881 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 15:24

To be fair to the new regime they haven't been there that long. I'm willing to give them a try & I'm still getting the MFQs via them.

#1564 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 15:53

I will at least save myself some money that I can put to better use.

Yes, David, take out a subscription for Vintage Racecar.

#1565 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 17:03

Still no sign of my subscription copy yet, seven days after I saw it in my local newsagent. I skimmed through it on the shelf and must say that I am seriously considering ditching it if this is how subscribers are treated (it is the first time - last February - that I have ever subscribed to it in40+ years of reading it).

#1566 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 17:15

Barry,

We do not get "Vintage Racecar" here in Brasil.
Is there a web page where I can have a look on it ?
Is "Vintage Racecar" really good ?

I have a MotorSport two years subscription but I agree that the magazine is getting very poor.
That's a pity, it has been a reference for me in the last 10 years.

VBR.
André Acker.

#1567 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 18:13

No sign of it here on the door mat in Attleborough, however it is in the newsagents across the road.

#1568 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 19:42

how bluddy infuriating is that??

#1569 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 19:54

Still no sign of my subscriber copy. :down:

Geoff

#1570 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,858 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 22:20

Originally posted by Gary C
how bluddy infuriating is that??

Well, as a newsagent, I have to admit to a certain smugness .... :p

#1571 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 22:40

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Well, as a newsagent, I have to admit to a certain smugness .... :p

Twinny!

Ban this man - well, until we get our copies. :lol:

#1572 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:00

Having been reading Motor Sport since 1962 I hate to have to write this; I shall not be re-newing my subscription next April. I shall have a quick look in WH Smiths' and then decide if I need to buy the magazine - I am sure that I shall make a considerable saving on the subscription charges

#1573 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:00

Well Zac , you should have a sub , that way you dont miss ANYTHING!!!
By the way , I send you a PM!
You can have my Canam issue, only it costs a small fortune to send from Denmark.
This year was my first sub for many many years. I took it because the price is the double in the shops in Danmark. Now I have got 4 issues (NOT OCTOBER) and I see no changes. Pop photos (now on carton in the middle), still good pics spoiled over 2 sides , like the Nurburgr.57 one, continuence of 4 pages of eating meeting where half of the sides or pics is the food and furniture,what the h... has that got to do with me? I want a paddock picture thats my food and furniture.I liked the Lord March article though, and dont mind a stamp picture of him , but its Motor Sport not lifestyle magazine. I am convinced they are not going to do a motorsport magazine so count me out of the subs, I´d rather go back and buy a copy once in a while for the double price and support the local dealer, knowing I get what I see ,than receiving by sub feeling p....d off!

#1574 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:33

My subscription copy hit the doormat this morning (oop North) .. not looked at it yet.
Rob

#1575 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:12

Mine too.

#1576 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:29

Arrived here 9am

#1577 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:01

Not here indeepest Farnborough yet.

My patience is beginning to run out.

#1578 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:16

Does any one around here know if Haymarket considered amalgamating MS with C&SC to produce, er... Classic Motor Sport?

Some readers might not have approved, but it seems to me we are witnessing the sad demise of the one magazine that each one of us should continue to buy for the rest of our days, maybe joining the two titles would have been the preferred option.

#1579 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 13:21

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
Well Zac , you should have a sub , that way you dont miss ANYTHING!!!
By the way , I send you a PM!
You can have my Canam issue, only it costs a small fortune to send from Denmark.

Thanks for the offer Bjørn but I'm sure I will find a copy locally. I'm not in any rush :)

Advertisement

#1580 James Page

James Page

• 364 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 13:27

Originally posted by PeterElleray
i suppose the cynical view would be that theres cashflow to be had from selling in the retail sector, but not from sending out the subscription copies. Because WE'VE ALREADY PAID HAVEN'T WE....

and whilst in mid rant, is it normal practice to print subscription copies AFTER the retail copies?

Normal practice is for retail copies and subs copies to all get printed in one run, at the same time. The subs copies will then be mailed from a mailing house, whereas retail copies will go into distribution through wholesalers. Normally, subs copies should reach subscribers before the retail copies hit the newsstand.

So maybe the problem with Motor Sport lies with the mailing house?

#1581 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 13:28

Originally posted by roger ellis
the one magazine that each one of us should continue to buy for the rest of our days...

Once upon a time maybe, but certainly not for the last two or three years.

Every time I read a post on this thread I become so pleased with myself for unsubscribing.

I'm similarly content with the fact that I don't get stressed every month by wanting to write to them to say that they got something wrong or completely out of context.

The number of "imaginary" letters I've written to them complaining...

#1582 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 13:30

Originally posted by MCS
The number of "imaginary" letters I've written to them complaining...

But do you get 'imaginary' replies?

#1583 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 15:02

Originally posted by roger ellis
Does any one around here know if Haymarket considered amalgamating MS with C&SC to produce, er... Classic Motor Sport?

Some readers might not have approved, but it seems to me we are witnessing the sad demise of the one magazine that each one of us should continue to buy for the rest of our days, maybe joining the two titles would have been the preferred option.

The problem with a situation like that is like in business, when the firm's top saleman is made up to sales manager/director.

You lose your best salesman, motivated by certain things, and also acquire, usually, a lousy manager, a breed motivated by different things. Everyone loses.

Which is perhaps why I am still prepared top give this new chap a chance.

My copy arrived today. The contents look interesting, probably better when I read it, but Simon Taylor's interview with Whizzo looks useful, and suitably long, no more >1000 words articles, the longer piece on US board racing seems a good topic, and an Alan Henry piece on Emmo should be worth reading, plus a useful little piece by GC on McQueen, which suits me for other background reasons.

A TNFer has previously said that a little of Mr Frankel goes a long way. Well, we are going twice round the world. Test of a new Porsche, , a piece on a D Type with dear Norman Dewis, and lots of pictures of "me racing a Bentley at Silverstone"

The best thing for me is a letter from excellent racer John Ure, showing this season just how fast Peter Mann's RPJ 1 can go, after years with PM's R9B, with his views about sticky modern race tyres and the Pomeroy Index. and the pace of current historic racers compared with in period.

What an objective breath of fresh air that letter is.. Basically he is saying that hard rubber, as per in period, would sort the men from the boys, and the cars from the cars, but that the most skilled would still prevail. Surely that is how it should be? All we need then is for the right size of tyres and offset of the rims to be sorted out. But I digress............

Roger Lund.

PS For those of you getting bored with you fashionable Audemars Piguet watch, and wondering with what to replace it, the answer is on p16, the Millenary MC12 at £160,000

There is also a super 1:43 model of Giannino Marzotto's 1951 Ferrari 212 "Uevo" which will do nicely at 73 quid. Shame they have him listed as Marzotti

I will stick with it a while longer

PPS the new subs price is £59, yet C&SC advertise their subs in MS at £36.

#1584 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 16:58

Originally posted by kayemod
But do you get 'imaginary' replies?

Never. Shocking, isn't it..? :lol:

#1585 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 17:15

Originally posted by MCS

Never. Shocking, isn't it..? :lol:

Some people just have no manners. What is the place coming to?

PS don't speak too soon or you might be contacted by an imaginary call centre somewhere.

#1586 swintex

swintex

• 365 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 17:32

Still no MS on the Kent/London borders… and no Autosport today either ):

#1587 Paul Butler

Paul Butler

• 71 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 17:40

Same for me also in deepest Staffordshire - still no mag. I don't quite buy the story about retail copies being printed before subscriber copies :confused: . If that's the way they're doing it it's no wonder they had to hike the subs ......

#1588 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 18:32

Nor in North London
Interesting, when we were told at Goodwood they'd rushed the first copies down for that meeting. (We didn't then know it was already in the shops, and certainly not that subscribers' copies would be so late) :down:

#1589 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 19:11

What a daft thread this is getting to be....grumpy old farts all moaning about the late arrival in early September of a magazine that says October on the front.

When it does arrive, there will be a competition to see who can do the most comprehensive slagging off of its contents....

At Silverstone & Goodwood I saw the Motor Sport stand and was going to tell them what a good job I thought they were making of the mag these days. However on both occasions the stand seemed to be populated not by grown-ups but sales orientated looking young oiks with hair gel...so I retreated.

My copy has arrived. It seems quite good to me....

#1590 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 19:20

:blush:

#1591 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 20:58

Quite agree, David.

Why, in heaven's name, doesn't a magazine that is published on September 1st say "September" on its cover. I seem to recall that, in the days of Standard House, Motor Sport came out at the beginning of a month with that month's name on the cover. Was it a peculiarly Haymarket thing for October's issue to come out at the beginning of September - I recall Classic and Sportscar always used to.

#1592 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,858 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 21:21

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Was it a peculiarly Haymarket thing for October's issue to come out at the beginning of September - I recall Classic and Sportscar always used to.

Most magazine publishers do this, Alan. But as I've pointed out before, Motor Sport has advanced its publication date by 2-3 weeks since Stratfield took it over in order to be on the news stands at the same time as Octane and C&SC. They'd look a bit silly publishing as September when the others are on October.

Within a week or so, "Computer Buyer" will publish its November issue!

#1593 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 21:30

Quite so, Vitesse, but why?

#1594 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,858 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 21:54

Because when one started doing it, all the others followed ..... like sheep :

#1595 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,003 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 22:52

The October edition contains an article on American board track racing. It is written by Gary Doyle, author of the wonderful biographies of Jimmy Murphy and Ralph de Palma and a member of this forum. One or two articles a month of this quality would justify my subscription.

#1596 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:49

:clap:

It looks like Motor Sport

It smells like Motor Sport

I must be Motor Sport!

At last

:clap:

#1597 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:36

After reading the brilliant Whizzo interview and having known him for many years, I cannot wait for the book! Sure to be the funniest read since Perry McCarthy's 'Flat out, flat broke'.

Personally I do not think the mag is that bad, could improve I agree but nowhere near it's worst and still the best we can get. Full marks however to 'Autosport' for their revival coverage with Bloxham photography.

#1598 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:20

My copy FINALLY arrived this morning, a full TEN DAYS since I first saw it in a newsagents. Still doesn't explain the non-arrival of last months' issue though?? : :drunk:

#1599 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:28

Last month's issue? Trust me, Gary, you didn't miss much.

Advertisement

#1600 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:34

I went and bluddy bought it anyway !!