'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#1751 Flemming

Flemming

• 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:00

Hi

Doesn't sound too good - and the november issue is still on their webpage. Not a good sign at all.

http://www.motorspor...uk/current.html

Best regards

Flemming

Advertisement

#1752 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:04

Originally posted by Flemming
Hi

Doesn't sound too good - and the november issue is still on their webpage. Not a good sign at all.

http://www.motorspor...uk/current.html

Best regards

Flemming

I know, that's what bothered me a bit.

#1753 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,923 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:05

Originally posted by sterling49

go on then Barry........I am going to regret this.........what's the joke then? :rolleyes:

It's just that everyone from Birmingham likes a nice kipper tie. I certainly do and will go and make one straight after this post.

It reminds me of my first job in the centre of Birmingham many moons ago: walking through reception one day I was looking for a waste paper bin. I asked the receptionist 'Where's your bin" to which she replied "I ay bin anywhere".

Allen

#1754 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:30

The December issue of Motor Sport has hit the shops, sorry shop, here in sunny Mid Wales, I guess the rest of the country will catch up eventually. Nice photo of the No 2 Team Lotus driver from 1961 on the cover.

#1755 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 16:58

Originally posted by KJJ
The December issue of Motor Sport has hit the shops, sorry shop, here in sunny Mid Wales, I guess the rest of the country will catch up eventually. Nice photo of the No 2 Team Lotus driver from 1961 on the cover.

No sign of it here in the Garden of England yet, have not seen it in the shops either........captive audience maybe? :lol:

#1756 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 17:03

Originally posted by Allen Brown
It's just that everyone from Birmingham likes a nice kipper tie. I certainly do and will go and make one straight after this post.

It Allen

They were "der rigeur" then Allen, I had some, platform shoes, wide lapels, loons or flares, loud check jackets........I used to regularly go down the office stairs on my arse because of fashionable shoes! Only took me 6months to learn how to walk in them semi safely! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1757 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,444 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 21:33

WHOOOOSH!!!!!

#1758 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 22:20

Originally posted by Vitesse2
WHOOOOSH!!!!!

The laxatives obviously did a good job Vitesse2......keep taking them :rotfl:

#1759 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,444 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 22:25

Oh, FFS! You still haven't got the joke, have you!! :lol:

The WHOOOSH was the sound as it went whistling over your head! :rotfl:

Advertisement

#1760 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 22:29

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Oh, FFS! You still haven't got the joke, have you!! :lol:

The WHOOOSH was the sound as it went whistling over your head! :rotfl:

Got the joke Vitesse, bit obvious really! :clap: :clap:

See you can swear to!!!! :eek: :lol: Good to see you have a keen sense of humour :up:

#1761 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:08

We won't mention the one about what's the difference between a buffalo and a bison, then....

(you can't wash your hands in a buffalo)

#1762 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 17:03

I have been very critical of the new regime previously, but I genuinely believe that they are trying to do the right thing, and with the right material, and with some good contributors, plus staffer Gordon Cruickshank, as ever excellent. We make the assumption, however, that they know what the required standard or expectation of content may be. It is not as if there is a shortage of subjects which COULD be covered. At least they are giving Simon Taylor a decent word allocation for his excellent "Lunch with" pieces.

Excellent feature on Jim Clark. I never need an excuse to look at shots of him in a car. The double page shot (shame about the spine down the middle) of the start of the 64 TT at Goodwood is worth the price of the copy alone............Clark Lotus 30, Hill 330P, McLaren in the Cooper Zerex, sadly spelled XEREX, like the copier, as if one was not enough. What numpties!!

They should give a giant copy of that away as a freebie. HINT

One advantage of the glossy paper used in these magazines, and computer technology, is that the photographs come out especially well, including the adverts. Old grainy b/w shots look good, and are now printed larger , and just consider the presentation of the engine shots in the ad for Jim Stokes' workshops. page 44. Now there is an article waiting to be written...........................

Octane stole a march by getting in first with the arty coffee-table format, but MS is improving.

The more I see of VRCJ the more I like it. It does what it says on the masthead. Recent features on Cooper and the Tasman series seemed good to me, although I was familiar with much of the content of their interview with Sir Jack as I have read DCN's book on him, especially the story of the Harley clutch on the Bristol engine etc etc. The Indy Cooper piece was also very interesting.

C&SC still seems to me the leader in all respects though IMHO.

Roger Lund.

#1763 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:15

Previously I said

Octane stole a march by getting in first with the arty coffee-table format, but MS is improving

now having read this month's MS I reckon it is honours even. MS has made a big step forward IMHO, so they are trying hard, and probably listening hard. Things do not happen overnight, so I think they are in the right direction if that is the template on which they are basing their format, rather than competing with C&SC.

BTW the Simon Taylor article on Brian Redman is his best yet.

RL

#1764 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:23

On pg 61 of this months issue, it has a picture of a Tyrrell 006 gearstick, and captions the picture "knurled wood gear knob was in place for dissipating heat." Can anyone explain this to me please....... As far as I understood it, wood is a poor conductor of heat, so would [sic....] be in place to prevent heat conduction, not dissipate heat. Or have I completely misunderstood things?

#1765 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,434 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:28

To all those who are complaining that thier December issue is a few days late, all I have to say is that you should be on this side of the pond. I have yet to receive my November issue.

#1766 Flemming

Flemming

• 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:33

Hi

I have received the November issue - but I'm still short of the October issue!

Flemming

#1767 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,729 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 13:55

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
On pg 61 of this months issue, it has a picture of a Tyrrell 006 gearstick, and captions the picture "knurled wood gear knob was in place for dissipating heat." Can anyone explain this to me please....... As far as I understood it, wood is a poor conductor of heat, so would [sic....] be in place to prevent heat conduction, not dissipate heat. Or have I completely misunderstood things?

Darren
They probably missed a "not" out before dissipating as the only reason I can think of is stop one's hand burning. Remember those 'orrible black rubber ones that ST used to fit on TRs, your palm didn't get burnt but looked charred anyway as they used to melt or at least become friable.
JF

#1768 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:25

Originally posted by bradbury west

C&SC still seems to me the leader in all respects though IMHO.

Roger Lund.

I used to really like C&SC but it became a bit to formulaic and repetitive for me - there are usually a couple of good feature articles per month but most of the mag feels a bit hackneyed - and there's quite a lot of boy racerdom in there now.

Most entertaining motorsport magazine I've read recently is Grassroots Motorsports, which (for those of us in Rightpondia) is something like a cross between 1980s Motoring News and Cars and Car Conversions. The focus is on building, modifying, and competing with interesting cars; it's well-written and quite witty at times. I don't often get to see copies in the UK but when I do I make a point of buying it! (actually the first time I read it was in Italy about 6 years ago, odd thing to see on a newsstand in Rome but there y'go!) Not really TNF-y but I think most people here with at least a vague technical slant would enjoy it a lot.

#1769 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:27

And.... December MS looks, feels and smells more like Octane than Octane. Content fluctuates between excellent and vapid, and as often seems to be the case the more vapid the content the better the pics - although the Clark feature was an excellent one, one does begin to get the feeling that it's a struggle to say anything really new about him...

(It would be marvellous, though, to do a photographic book on Jim Clark - the sheer elegance of his driving style would make it very special to look at).

#1770 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:39

"Knurled" is the wrong word anyway. I have never seen knurled wood.

This is knurling, as every engineering apprentice knows:

Posted Image

#1771 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:44

Originally posted by petefenelon

odd thing to see on a newsstand in Rome but there y'go!) .

Surprisingly I saw a copy of The Automobile in a bookshop in Hong Kong last month. Always enjoyed when I took it on a discounted sub, but not sure of the current situation.

RL

#1772 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 20:44

Originally posted by bradbury west
Previously I said

BTW the Simon Taylor article on Brian Redman is his best yet.

RL

The cover price was almost worth the Brian Redman and Jim Clark articles alone, and then the Tyrell article as well! Keep it up Motorsport, get the delivery nearer the 1st of the month though!

I could read the article about Jim in the Lotus Cortina over and over again, remember the excitement as the RAC was shown on ITN news? They showed Jim flat out in the forests..... :clap:

#1773 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,690 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:49

Only glanced at it so far, but looking forward to the article on the Reynard "961" and "971". I wonder when they'll do a piece on the more successful 96I and 97I cars... Sorry to be pedantic, but it just sums up for me a lack of attention to detail.

As for the letters, well the top 2 are just so crass, though the John Wilson one almost makes up for them.

Definitely not renewing I'm afraid.

#1774 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 18:27

Agreed that the Jim Clark article was an interesting sideways approach to his career, and all the better for that. Enjoyed the Brian Redman/Harry Ramsden interview!

The mag continues to be a veritable "parson's nose"

#1775 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 18:39

gear knob dont get hot on a mid engine car. theres way too long of tube/lever/joint between the GB and the knob . i thinq that only Cevert (not stewart ) was using that knob and it was just a "personal taste" he liked the feel and the look of it

#1776 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,444 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 18:47

Originally posted by Alan Cox

The mag continues to be a veritable "parson's nose"

Or even a curate's egg! :p

It was good to see them dredging the archives with the Ascari article. More reprints of that sort would be especially welcome - subject to copyrights of course - if anyone from MS is reading this, can I suggest the series of pen portraits of drivers which Chula contributed in the early war years?

#1777 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 20:20

Perhaps I meant Parson's Egg, or Curate's Nose!

#1778 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 20:27

Originally posted by David Beard
"Knurled" is the wrong word anyway. I have never seen knurled wood.

Knarled wood maybe - as in "textured"... :confused:

Who knows...the more I read this thread the happier I become, having cancelled my subscription ages ago.

The magazine used to make me so angry. I lost count of the letters I composed in my head about their errors and failings. So much potential with such an established platform.

What a waste :down:

#1779 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 20:55

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Only glanced at it so far, but looking forward to the article on the Reynard "961" and "971". I wonder when they'll do a piece on the more successful 96I and 97I cars...

Eh?! :confused:

Have I missed something here, Dan?

Advertisement

#1780 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:06

Originally posted by Twin Window
Eh?! :confused:

Have I missed something here, Dan?

96i not 96one, Twinny...( I think?)

#1781 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 22:51

96i not 96one, Twinny...( I think?)

Oh bugger - I am going blind! :rolleyes:

Thanks, David - and sorry Dan. (The differences were rather oblique, though...!)

#1782 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,444 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 00:14

Originally posted by Twin Window
Oh bugger - I am going blind! :rolleyes:

See - Nanny was right! :p :lol:

#1783 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,158 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:14

Most entertaining motorsport magazine I've read recently is Grassroots Motorsports, which (for those of us in Rightpondia) is something like a cross between 1980s Motoring News and Cars and Car Conversions. The focus is on building, modifying, and competing with interesting cars; it's well-written and quite witty at times. I don't often get to see copies in the UK but when I do I make a point of buying it! (actually the first time I read it was in Italy about 6 years ago, odd thing to see on a newsstand in Rome but there y'go!) Not really TNF-y but I think most people here with at least a vague technical slant would enjoy it a lot.

The same people who write and produce Grassroots Motorsports do a great classic car magazine called Classic Motorsports. It's a bit like GRM with old cars, in that they will write about old car projects and vintage racing, but they do also produce group tests (the current issue-November- has a cover story about roadsters, running the gamut from TR3 to 300SL) and some historical articles. Absolutely worth buying.

-William

#1784 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 20:43

I'd just like to put in a good word for this month's issue.

OK, I'd like more text and more in-depth stuff - the book reviews (like every other magazine's) are pointless except as news items and I could do without the historic racing.

But we have:

-a typical Roebuck piece on MS
-Colin McRae on the problems of modern rallying
-a Mark Hughes piece on MS' retirement - that mentioned JYS' consultation of an Anglican priest that gave him the confidence to continue in 1973, something I had NEVER heard of before
-a Jim Clark piece that was genuinely revelatory; going through his career with non-F1 cars
-a track test on the Cooper T86 that had a fresh context on the demise of Cooper
-interview with Brian Redman (again lots of good new and interesting stuff; never knew he was a mop salesman!)
-a reprint of an article written by the original Ascari
-an excellent article on Spice, with pics of all the Spice models

...that were all fresh, interesting and brought new information to e14's mind. The only shame was that each article could have been twice as long and they still would have been interesting.

And next month again there's less-than-obvious subject matter - the Bentley Boys, Parnelli, AGS and (has Bjorn been writing?) the Ecurie Ecosse transporter.

And as for misprints, how about the back cover? The advert for Christie's sale in Paris next February advertises a 1972 Formula 2 Techno for sale. T'choh, these auction houses and their experts...

#1785 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 21:09

Originally posted by ensign14

And you see that as a selling point? ;P

-interview with Brian Redman (again lots of good new and interesting stuff; never knew he was a mop salesman!)

By far the best thing in this issue.

-an excellent article on Spice, with pics of all the Spice models

Something that left me wanting more, but IMSA/GpC coverage is something I will always enjoy. The pics, though, were far too small.

#1786 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 22:09

The pics, though, were far too small.

TNFers more usually complain that the photos in Motor Sport are too big...

The one of Jim Clark in the Lotus 30 setting off at Goodwood sprawled across two pages. It was magnificent, and the size was justified.

#1787 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 22:13

...and it included Roger Nathan, too! :)

#1788 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 22:16

The pics, though, were far too small.

Oh, how familiar is that? :down:

Remember the Bill Ivy piece years back with the postage stamp size pic of his F2 Brabham at Thruxton.

IDIOTS ! :mad:

#1789 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 22:18

Originally posted by Barry Boor
...and it included Roger Nathan, too! :)

See the book review, Barry?

#1790 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 22:24

Originally posted by MCS

Oh, how familiar is that? :down:

Remember the Bill Ivy piece years back with the postage stamp size pic of his F2 Brabham at Thruxton.

IDIOTS ! :mad:

This looks a little rude, maybe - forgive me. Or don't.

But what's the point of putting in a picture that's so small that even a well-sighted person struggles to see who or what it is?

Great pictorial archive - totally wasted.

#1791 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 20:39

The one of Jim Clark in the Lotus 30 setting off at Goodwood sprawled across two pages. It was magnificent, and the size was justified.

Like David, I have raved about the double spread TT photo. Looking again, I am fascinated to note that it is credited to Bernard Cahier, which is something of a surprise bearing in mind the depth and breadth of the LAT photoarchives...................

Roger Lund.

#1792 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,050 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 22:30

Originally posted by ensign14
But we have:

And you see that as a selling point? ;P

Okay, I'll step up to the line.

Your problem with Roebuck? Guilt by association having written for Autosport for years perhaps? :)

#1793 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:06

Originally posted by Vanwall

Your problem with Roebuck? Guilt by association having written for Autosport for years perhaps? :)

To my mind, he's like a kind of journalistic Paul McCartney. Once capable of original and entertaining work, one of the best in his field, next work eagerly awaited, now simply recycling old glories, nothing new to say, lost whatever edge he once had. Sad.

#1794 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:55

Your problem with Roebuck? Guilt by association having written for Autosport for years perhaps?

To my mind, he's like a kind of journalistic Paul McCartney. Once capable of original and entertaining work, one of the best in his field, next work eagerly awaited, now simply recycling old glories, nothing new to say, lost whatever edge he once had. Sad.

Sounds like something that is fairly commonplace now....

#1795 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,050 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Sounds like something that is fairly commonplace now....

Wot? Cynicism? ;)

#1796 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 13:57

Originally posted by ian senior

Someone on TNF once called Roebuck the "master of cut and paste". Then with the state of present day F1, can one blame the man????!!

#1797 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 16:45

Wot? Cynicism?

Yes, cynicism.

#1798 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,062 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:34

Does anybody else's copy have two severe blemishes across that photo which completely ruin it?

#1799 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 18:28

Mine is o.k.

Advertisement

#1800 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 19:07

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Mine is o.k.

Mine to, one of the main reasons that I subscribe(currently) is the great photos that they publish, so many of them capture the "mood" and atmosphere of the day. something I find hard pressed to say on modern day pictures. Maybe I am just getting old! :rolleyes: