'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2001 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:33

oh the good old "reorganisation" line

rule one with any reorg is, dont upset your current customers....

Originally posted by lil'chris
I rang them and they sent me a new copy which appeared 2 days later. :up:

Apparently their subscriptions dept is being reorganised which may account for the earlier problems

Advertisement

#2002 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:02

Originally posted by lil'chris
I rang them and they sent me a new copy which appeared 2 days later. :up:

Apparently their subscriptions dept is being reorganised which may account for the earlier problems

Blimey. Luck you :smoking: The copy I phoned to say I hadn't received before Christmas (post #1852) finally arrived this weekend :eek:

Still, better late than never, and I'm enjoying the read.

#2003 John Saunders

John Saunders

• 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 16:19

I rang them when the February copy failed to arrive 6 weeks ago it arrived today, 2 weeks after
I bought the March copy

#2004 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 16:55

I'd venture to suggest that the new owners are perhaps "going the extra mile" by pulling back copies from further up the supply chain. Getting last month's two weeks after this month's has come out would seem to indicate that they are recovering returned copies from the trade rather than letting them go for pulping.

#2005 John Saunders

John Saunders

• 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:41

Hi. Good point Vitesse 2, never thought of that.

#2006 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 19:53

Another batch of ABC circulation figures just released. No figures for Motor Sport yet, but the whole motoring category is suffering, with two exceptions. The numbers and percentages relate to what the trade calls newsstand single copy sales in the UK only.

The first of those exceptions is the biggest seller, BBC Top Gear, which put 4% on its already substantial sales: there's probably a "Hammond effect" in there. The second is Classic & Sports Car, which seems to be recovering the small amount of ground which it lost to Octane: a 2% sales lift to 38004 copies per issue. Overall UK circulation for C&SC is now 55609, plus 26157 abroad. The only other classic magazine which reported this time was Classic Car, with a 10.9% drop.

Biggest losses were - yet again - among the ricing/Barryboy titles: Redline down 30.8% year-on-year, Maxpower down 39.9% and Fast Car down 43.9%! I can foresee one or two more closures in that sub-category ....

Car also had a pretty disastrous year - down 35.7%

C&SC was the only good news for Haymarket though. F1 Racing dropped 7.9% to 22213, Autosport 12.0% to 20465 and Motorsport News 16.4% to 17362. How long before they amalgamate their two weeklies?

Incidentally, Octane sneaked their figures out without a fanfare last autumn. Total world-wide circulation was 28002, but 5552 of those were given away free. As a comparison to C&SC's figures above, the UK newsstand single copy sales were 9052 (of which 1102 were sold at discounts), giving a net full price sale of just 7948. Their overseas newsstand sales are actually higher than the UK at 8118, of which only 59 were at discounts. UK subscriptions are 3102 and overseas 1991.

Tough times for magazine publishers in this market ....

#2007 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 20:45

Their advertising salesment must be suffering...

Though I'd have to say that the sheer bulk of advertising in most Pommie mags could be a real deterrent to readers.

#2008 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 21:09

Originally posted by Vitesse2
C&SC was the only good news for Haymarket though. F1 Racing dropped 7.9% to 22213, Autosport 12.0% to 20465 and Motorsport News 16.4% to 17362. How long before they amalgamate their two weeklies?

Very soon I would think, if two examples of quite appalling journalism/editorial performance in recent consecutive weeks in Motorsports News are an indication.
First giving a headline and photo to what turned out to be someone complaining about being stopped from cheating, rather than the claimed regulation change. Then the near actionable inference, following MN attendance at an IOPD recruiting event, that anyone other than the MSA and the "International Organisation of Professional Drivers" could not issue event permits and were thus breaking the law - when reputable organisations like NASA in Autograss clearly do have Government authority to do so.

#2009 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 22:26

There was a note in the papers the other day, see below link, that Emap, (Classic Cars among others,) is having a major review of its magazines. IMHO they do have good articles every now and then, although Martin Buckley went to C&SC a while back, and Tony Dron has now gone to Octane.

http://www.telegraph...11/cnemap11.xml

RL

#2010 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 23:23

I see that autosport.com is starting to cover MotoGP - it might expose some of its younger readers to racing that actually contains that thing where, er, one vehicle passes another without using the pits. And that has real personalities in it.

On one hand I'm surprised it didn't do this years ago, fans of motorcycle racing have only had inky tabloid MCN really... on the other it's clearly a reaction to losing motor racing punters.

#2011 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:11

Heh. MCN might be an "inky tabloid", but it sells more copies every week than Autosport sells in a month!

There's also Bike Sport News, which is fortnightly. Not ABC registered, so I have no idea how many it sells.

#2012 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:30

Car's fall from grace is quite alarming. Clearly last year's revamp has failed, and it's hard to see any recovery unless they more or less start again. Perhaps their obsession with performance cars in the headline stories has something to do with this, I don't know, but personally I like to read about all kinds of cars and get a bit cheesed off at seeing more stuff about the latest indulgent Ferrari or Imprezza Turbo Nutter Bastard WOLD-ZZZ or whatever it's called. "Arty" photographs (although they don't fit into what I'd call art) don't appeal to me very much either. Somehow, they've lost the plot and that's sad, because in its heyday Car was one of the finest magazines on the market.

#2013 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:57

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Though I'd have to say that the sheer bulk of advertising in most Pommie mags could be a real deterrent to readers.

The UK press generally has relied on advertising revenue at the expense of cover prices for far too long. They're now faced with both declining circulations and falling advertising revenue: when they put cover prices up, then circulation falls .... vicious circle!

Compared with other forms of print, magazine and newspaper prices have lagged seriously behind. What baffles me as a retailer is that people will make one hell of a fuss if their 40p daily paper goes up by 5p but are quite happy to pay £2.99 for a greetings card! Production cost for the paper - about 8p before distribution. Production cost for the card - about 2p before distribution.

#2014 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:17

The UK press generally has relied on advertising revenue at the expense of cover prices for far too long. They're now faced with both declining circulations and falling advertising revenue: when they put cover prices up, then circulation falls .... vicious circle!

Compared with other forms of print, magazine and newspaper prices have lagged seriously behind. What baffles me as a retailer is that people will make one hell of a fuss if their 40p daily paper goes up by 5p but are quite happy to pay £2.99 for a greetings card! Production cost for the paper - about 8p before distribution. Production cost for the card - about 2p before distribution.

Thats because the punter buys a newspaper every day and is constantly aware of the price , yet buys a greeting card occasionally and has forgotten how much the previous one was when he buys the next one

#2015 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:23

Originally posted by PRD

Thats because the punter buys a newspaper every day and is constantly aware of the price , yet buys a greeting card occasionally and has forgotten how much the previous one was when he buys the next one

I'm surprised that anyone on TNF had a problem with the cost of greetings cards, I thought it was only women that ever bought the things. I only buy one each year if I remember, Wife seems to buy hundreds of them.

#2016 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:24

Originally posted by petefenelon
I see that autosport.com is starting to cover MotoGP - it might expose some of its younger readers to racing that actually contains that thing where, er, one vehicle passes another without using the pits. And that has real personalities in it.

On one hand I'm surprised it didn't do this years ago, fans of motorcycle racing have only had inky tabloid MCN really... on the other it's clearly a reaction to losing motor racing punters.

yeah, good move, BUT - I like everyone else pays for that content, and now I have to root a tad to find what I want - ie NOT motorbikes.... they just aren't for me, a bit frustrating

#2017 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:35

Originally posted by kayemod

I'm surprised that anyone on TNF had a problem with the cost of greetings cards, I thought it was only women that ever bought the things. I only buy one each year if I remember, Wife seems to buy hundreds of them.

nice to hear that the age of romance isn't quite dead :lol:

#2018 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:41

Originally posted by PRD

So how many years have you been married?

#2019 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:59

So how many years have you been married?

Silver wedding Oct 22nd 2006

Advertisement

#2020 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 13:32

Originally posted by PRD

I've always thought Cards were for Puffs !!

#2021 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 13:51

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

So you don't mind when 'er indoors never gives you a birthday card?

#2022 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 14:02

Only the pink ones.

#2023 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,856 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 14:07

There speaks a Yorkshireman!

#2024 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 14:18

Originally posted by ian senior

So you don't mind when 'er indoors never gives you a birthday card?

Not at all Ian, since I was about 5 I've always regarded them as a waste of space/paper/time/effort. And money worst of all !!!

#2025 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 14:46

It's not so much losing a son
As gaining another son

#2026 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 14:50

Originally posted by Barry Boor

There speaks a Yorkshireman!

Me too, so that probably explains everything.

#2027 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 15:18

Not at all Ian, since I was about 5 I've always regarded them as a waste of space/paper/time/effort. And money worst of all !!!

Thonk of all those cards you threw away, in which a kindly relative had enclosed some money for you.

#2028 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 17:14

Car's fall from grace is quite alarming. Clearly last year's revamp has failed, and it's hard to see any recovery unless they more or less start again. Perhaps their obsession with performance cars in the headline stories has something to do with this, I don't know, but personally I like to read about all kinds of cars and get a bit cheesed off at seeing more stuff about the latest indulgent Ferrari or Imprezza Turbo Nutter Bastard WOLD-ZZZ or whatever it's called. "Arty" photographs (although they don't fit into what I'd call art) don't appeal to me very much either. Somehow, they've lost the plot and that's sad, because in its heyday Car was one of the finest magazines on the market.

Agree totally, I used to subscribe to Car in the '60/'70's when Henry Manney and L.J.K.Setright & co were journos, I have purchased it a few times since, but find nothing that I really want to read. It is so true about all of the "£35,000 plus,plus, Super Nutter Turbo's" that they are so pre occupied with, as if for one minute, they would buy, or even be able to afford them, out of tax paid income. I buy a few mags now, Classic Ford, Motorsport and Autocar, sometimes C&SC, the others hold little appeal to me. Call me churlish, but I do not like the "new" formats or the way the mags are laid out, of either, Muttering News or Autosport, and they used to be my bibles! Maybe I just do not like change :rolleyes:

The strange thing is, although all of the Mags are affordable, I still view them as expensive, another reflection of the past I guess :smoking:

#2029 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 17:30

"Arty" photographs (although they don't fit into what I'd call art) don't appeal to me very much either.

Certainly agree there. My eyesight is pretty good, but I do have difficulty with white type on a dark background, or white type on a photo, a very common problem with readers past the first flush of youth. I could read it if I really wanted too, but it's difficult especially with small type, so quite often I don't bother, which means I miss the article I've paid for. Autosport among others have admitted to receiving complaints about this, I've complained myself, and plenty of others must have done as well, so they do it rather less these days, but some other 'edgy' Art Editors will persist with this annoying practice. It's a well known problem, so with circulations falling, you'd think they'd make a bit more effort to hang onto the (aging but reasonably affluent) readers they've already got, rather than sending them to their opticians.

#2030 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 18:29

white type on a dark background, or white type on a photo.

Autosport among others have admitted to receiving complaints about this, I've complained myself, and plenty of others must have done as well, so they do it rather less these days, but some other 'edgy' Art Editors will persist with this annoying practice.

It seems that they are being "trained" that this is what you do, regardless of the loss of clarity, etc. Older people were taught how to use fonts and colours and get the best out of them. I had to explain to somone a year or two ago that black type on a white background was correct but printing words you wanted to emphasise in yellow actually makes them disappear in normal artificial light :mad:

#2031 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 20:38

Originally posted by sterling49

I buy a few mags now, Classic Ford, Motorsport and Autocar, sometimes C&SC, the others ......

Just bought this months Classic Car.... interesting article on the Ford GT40, I didn't know that they were fitted with Burrani wheels, or maybe they just meant Biriani :rolleyes:

This is the first thing I noticed flicking through........and I complained about Motorsport......does anyone with any knowledge proof read their editorial? If they do, they have done a poor job.They mention these "Burrani" wheels in two photo captions..........

Sterling

#2032 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 250 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 20:58

Just bought this months Classic Car.... interesting article on the Ford GT40, I didn't know that they were fitted with Burrani wheels, or maybe they just meant Biriani :rolleyes:

This is the first thing I noticed flicking through........and I complained about Motorsport......does anyone with any knowledge proof read their editorial? If they do, they have done a poor job.They mention these "Burrani" wheels in two photo captions..........

Sterling

.....or indeed "BORRANI"

#2033 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 21:01

Originally posted by Peter Darley
.....or indeed "BORRANI"

Agreed Peter, I know, they DO NOT :eek:

#2034 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 22:24

Finally I decided against renewing my Motor Sport subscription. Why? A couple of months ago, I received a letter from them that I could do it by post, by phone or online. I decided to do it online, but there was no such option on the magazine's website, or at least I didn't find it. I wrote an E-mail to them, and the answer suprisingly was: I am afraid that this renewal offer is not available online. If you wish to take up this offer, please send us the renewal form to the address provided. What? In the 21st century?

Today I received a letter again from MS, that this was my last chance to renew my subscription at my 'special subsciber price', which is actually £10 more expensive than my current one! They suggested - again - that I could do online. I entered their website again, and now there is an option to renew - but it seems it is only for people with UK addresses. I think that was the last straw. The price of the magazine has risen considerably in the past couple of years and the content is getting worse all the time. I'm not interested reading about Historic 'Racing', nor about the current stuff. And what I would get in my last 'subscription' issue? An interview with Ross Brawn! Aaaaarrrgghhh!

#2035 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,138 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 16:36

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1
We use to find Motorsport at all good news agents in Los Angeles, now it's available at only a select few. I went to one in Santa Monica where I knew they carried it and almost fell over when I saw the price; $15! :evil: That's absolutely crazy, that is Switzerland prices.....

The retailer must have marked it up. Was the price on a sticker attached to the cover? I'm looking at the February '07 issue (the most recent I've recieved at the store I work at) and the US price is $9.95. Canada and New Zealand were $13.95 in their respective currencies, and Australia was $11.95. Which issue was at fifteen skins?

-William

#2036 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 635 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:48

Dublin calling , new issue on sale today.

#2037 Keir

Keir

• 5,223 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 14:40

Taking into account the majority of the posts here, this might just be "off ttopic", but .....

I quite enjoyed the Le Mans Issue !!

#2038 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 15:09

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
Dublin calling , new issue on sale today.

That's two months running it's been in Dublin before Bath!!

#2039 James Page

James Page

• 364 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 15:22

Keir - I enjoyed the Le Mans issue, too!

And Vitesse2, I checked in Bath today as well, having read here that Motor Sport was out in Dublin. Hope I didn't barge you out the way in WHSmith's at lunchtime!

Advertisement

#2040 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 15:33

Originally posted by James Page

And Vitesse2, I checked in Bath today as well, having read here that Motor Sport was out in Dublin. Hope I didn't barge you out the way in WHSmith's at lunchtime!

When I said Bath, I really meant Timsbury, but who's heard of that? If Dawson's don't get it to me, it won't be in WH Smug either! :lol:

#2041 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 15:39

When I said Bath, I really meant Timsbury, but who's heard of that?

Anyone who's dealt with Frank Anderson (Anderson Racing Engines) for starters!

#2042 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 15:44

Originally posted by RS2000

Anyone who's dealt with Frank Anderson (Anderson Racing Engines) for starters!

Well spotted! He's one of my customers ....

#2043 Mistron

Mistron

• 853 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 18:51

Originally posted by Ray Bell

well, I took out a clasified in this coming months issue having read the rate card on their website (free to subscribers being my favourite bit - plus £10 for a pic)

on the phone they quoted about £30 more - apparently they hadn't updated the rate card due to a 'clerical error' -

after a bit of discussion I took them up on their advertised rate!;)

I notice the same / another 'clerical error' means the website shows the 'current issue' from a while back.......

Still, it is a Historic magazine I suppose..............

#2044 Mistron

Mistron

• 853 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 14:37

Originally posted by Mistron

well, I took out a clasified in this coming months issue having read the rate card on their website (free to subscribers being my favourite bit - plus £10 for a pic)

on the phone they quoted about £30 more - apparently they hadn't updated the rate card due to a 'clerical error' -

after a bit of discussion I took them up on their advertised rate!;)

I notice the same / another 'clerical error' means the website shows the 'current issue' from a while back.......

Still, it is a Historic magazine I suppose..............

And......

they managed to forget to print it!

"Oops, terribly sorry and all that, we'll put it free in HMRN and C&SC (without a picture)"

Marvelous.

Wonder what level of service non subscribers get???????

I think I may join them :mad:

#2045 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 21:54

My copy arrived in Kent this morning, a quick flick through and I know I am going to enjoy the Jackie Oliver and A.J.Foyt articles and those photos of Agfa snapper Roger Lane are just superb, a great shot of the Falcons at Silverstone, with the great David Hobbs car in full view.

#2046 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,856 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:31

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned MotorSport's latest gaffe.

They have awarded a £140 Italian leather hold-all to the star letter in the April issue.

It tells the story of a lad from north Wales and his first visit to Le Mans in 1965.

The letter is well written and interesting... it's just the bit about his being so happy to see FORD get its first win that had me slightly flummoxed....

Maybe there simply isn't anyone on the MS staff old enough to notice these things, or is it me?

#2047 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,337 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:18

My copy arrived in Kent this morning, a quick flick through and I know I am going to enjoy the Jackie Oliver and A.J.Foyt articles and those photos of Agfa snapper Roger Lane are just superb, a great shot of the Falcons at Silverstone, with the great David Hobbs car in full view.

Oliver seems to think that the FIA favour Ferrari. How strange.

#2048 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 13:06

Originally posted by ensign14

Oliver seems to think that the FIA favour Ferrari. How strange.

Having now read the article, I am in full agreement with you, it is strange, good article all the same, I grew up watching and enjoying Jackie race, that does not mean that I agree with his opinions on the FIA however!He had some cracking race drives and some great results.

#2049 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,337 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 13:34

I'd've liked him to comment on his feelings on the last lap of Le Mans 1969, with the race still in doubt - when it would have been cut & dried had Ickx run to the car at the start...

#2050 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 16:37

Originally posted by ensign14
I'd've liked him to comment on his feelings on the last lap of Le Mans 1969, with the race still in doubt - when it would have been cut & dried had Ickx run to the car at the start...

I am reading "Racing In The Rain" at present, it gives some very good insights......I just did not realize that during the Spa 1000kms in the JW Gulf 917, that Brian Redman co-drove, he ran average laps so much faster than his teamates, and they included Seppi and Pedro :eek:

I watched Pedro and Seppi and Ickx intently, but would readily admit to perhaps overlooking the contributions made by David Hobbs, Redman and Oliver, and they were just a few of the very sucessful JW driving team.

Jackie had some great drives in Ferrari, Ford and Porsche sportscars, it was nice for him to be the subject of an article in MS.