Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2151 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:27

But isn't part of the plaint of those (we, I guess) who criticize the thing here having to do with the sense that they might seem to claim to be more than they really are? I keep going back and buying the occasional copy because of a topic or person heralded on the cover, that I'd really like to know more about, but inevitably (lately anyway) come away disappointed that the article's only scratched the surface, offered little of substance -- something made more frustrating when you imagine the archives, contacts that must be at their disposal. (And how those who could really tell the stories aren't getting any younger...) I don't buy Autosport that often either anymore, but when I do, though it doesn't fulfill it doesn't really disappoint either because I'm not expecting historical insight.
I don't know, I understand the need to play to a target market, but it seems to me that there's already a glut of race mags playing to that market. Sometimes I wonder, if Motor Sport would really reach into the resources they must have (including guest writers?) and offer, say, two things of real substance per month, might not their market increase in ways they're not imagining? They wouldn't even have to lose the gloss; just a couple good ones a month would get me back.

Advertisement

#2152 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:49

A classic Jenks reprint wouldn't do any harm either...

#2153 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:01

Originally posted by Ray Bell
A classic Jenks reprint wouldn't do any harm either...

Amen.

#2154 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:06

Originally posted by vivafroilan!
Sometimes I wonder, if Motor Sport would really reach into the resources they must have (including guest writers?) and offer, say, two things of real substance per month, might not their market increase in ways they're not imagining? They wouldn't even have to lose the gloss; just a couple good ones a month would get me back.

This echoes something I said several hundred posts ago. Such as approach would surely go a long way to satisfying the moaners, without upsetting the newer readership

#2155 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 23:28

I have found the last few pages of this thread interesting coming from the prospective of a relative newcomer to TNF and having distanced myself for many years from anything to do with F1.

There are many reasons for my renewed interest in the sport, not least of which is this very forum. So much knowledge about the "golden " days of motorsport as I fondly remember them. So much laughing 'til I nearly fall out of my chair at times and then get to read the really good bits to my husband for more laughter and appreciation.

The interest in this thread is due to the fact that, after many years absence, we received our first copy of Motorsport yesterday. (Couldn't resist trying it out as the deal to subcribe seemed so good.) My first impression was, "It is very heavy and very shiny. " I didn't necessarily enjoy EVERY article but spent most of last evening pouring over it and I can only say it may not be what it once was (what is?) but it sure beats the NOTHING I had in its place. We long ago gave up on Road & Track and Autoweek. I don't mind that they changed. Just not for me. I work for a newspaper and I know you do what you have to in order to survive.

Lin

#2156 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:05

June issue arrived yesterday-must be first time I have seen a mag before the 1st of the month prior to the cover date.If you are not a Ferari fan I would not bother!
Came with a special offer to upgrade subscription to include quarterly DVD-Unfortunately the link for this does not work!

#2157 John Saunders

John Saunders

• 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:08

I pick up the June edition of Motor Sport yesterday, reading Nigel Roebuck's Legends about
Didier Pironi I keeped thinking I'd read this all before. Yes most of the article is from Nigel's 1999 book Chasing the Title.I like Nigel Roebuck's articles & this books not bad but I do not buy Motor Sport to read a reprint from his book. Now a Jenks reprint would be different.

John Saunders

#2158 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:32

Originally posted by John Saunders
Now a Jenks reprint would be different.

Why?

The courteous underscore to this apparently pugnacious response is this. I was a huge D.S.J. fan but I hope I was and remain sufficiently aware of the bees in his bonnet and assorted prejudices. I loved the passion but I did roll the eyes now and then. A guaranteed formula for undying admiration.

I also love Roebuck's writing and the pertinence of his observations and analysis. I roll the eyes when his work is recycled but also at what I see as a certain snobbishness towards him in some quarters. I hasten to add, JS, that I don't include you in that particular quarter!

I trust this rant has a degree of gentility. The temptation to leap to NR's defence overcame me. : :blush:

#2159 James Page

James Page

• 364 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:49

Originally posted by Rob29
If you are not a Ferari fan I would not bother!

Did you really expect Motor Sport not to mark Ferrari's 60th anniversary?! And you don't need to be a Ferrari fan in particular to read the Derek Bell or F40 articles. Or the Niki Lauda one, for which they chose a great photo to go on the opening spread! I think it's another enjoyable issue.

And as for the Roebuck/Jenks thing, well… growing up in the 1980s, Roebuck was 'my Jenks', if you see what I mean. Much of his stuff has reappeared over and over in books and magazines, but I remain a huge fan.

Maybe it's up to commissioning editors to get him to do something new, rather than the same old Villeneuve stuff. I imagine he'd be keen to write about American racing in the 1950s, for example.

Advertisement

#2160 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 13:09

There may be a copyright question over using Jenks' material.

Roger Lund.

#2161 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 17:43

Originally posted by Rob29
June issue arrived yesterday-must be first time I have seen a mag before the 1st of the month prior to the cover date.If you are not a Ferari fan I would not bother!
Came with a special offer to upgrade subscription to include quarterly DVD-Unfortunately the link for this does not work!

At risk of keeping the merry go round spinning, I actually thought this month's issue worked well. I've an interest in Ferrari (the last 60 years without them would be a lot plainer), I liked lunch with Vic Elford (and sure, most of it I could have got from "A Racing Life" but it's always fun to see things from a different perspective). I liked Nigel Roebuck's Pironi bit, wasn't aware it was effectively a reprint - unlikely in the short term to pick up the book in question - so no problems there.

In the final analysis MS, for me, has gone through some rocky patches, and when my £5 investment wouldn't quite last the 20 minute train ride home I felt, justifiably I think, aggrieved, but this time round it got me from Waterloo to the Channel Tunnel, which strikes me as being about fair. In short, keep up the good work - one happy casual reader here.

#2162 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 22:56

I received the following letter today:

Dear Former Subscriber:

Your name is about to be removed from our list of active subscribers to MOTOR SPORT- the original
motor racing magazine founded in 1924.

Once done, you will permanently forfeit your preferred status as a North American subscriber and all privileges thereunder, including your opportunity to subscribe at the special rates noted on the enclosed renewal savings form.

If such is your intention, you need not acknowledge this, my final correspondence on the subject. If not, you must reply forthwith.

To reinstate your subscription, return the enclosed renewal savings form in the courtesy reply envelope provided within ten days.

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathen Diggs
Subscription Service
North American Offices

P.S. If you have recently replied, kindly disregard this reminder. Our letters have probably crossed in the post.

This is either the 2nd or 3rd notice I hav received from them.

#2163 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,259 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 23:14

I would dearly have loved to hear the tapes recorded by Mr Hibbert of Fenny Drayton at the 1966 Indy 500 (apparently lost in a fire in 2003). However, I'm intrigued to know how he taped them on May 1st .... psychic recording? :drunk:

Also, I don't have the records to check, but I think WB may have had another of his senior moments in attributing an FTD at Chalfont St Pater in 1936 to WB Scott in a 1.5 Delage: surely that should be Capt Davis in the ex-Scott 1.5 Delage?;)

#2164 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:39

"Chalfont St Pater"?

A bit paternalistic perhaps...? ;)

#2165 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 23:26

I am now a former subscriber. The botched switch-over of the subscription service here in North America was the last straw along with the realization that I scarcely read them any more and those on the shelf generally stayed there, since there seems little incentive to use them as reference material since they are certainly not that. Adios, Motor Sport, after over 50 years of being a reader.... :wave:

#2166 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:23

I am a current subscriber. The switch over to the new subscription house seems to have gone well, as my copies now arrive earlier than they had in the past. I do not subscribe to the mag for reference, as I use Janos Wimpffen, Doug Nye, Pete Lyons, et al, for that. I subscribe to it for enjoyable reading of articles about cars and drivers I remember fondly from years past.

Having said all that, please let's not go into another argument about this mag! If you don't like it, do what Mr. Capps just did. Your choice.

#2167 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:35

I did the same...cancelled, same with Autosport...tired of high prices, poor delivery and disrespect for the past by our current youth...

#2168 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,189 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:07

Originally posted by David M. Kane
I did the same...cancelled, same with Autosport.......and disrespect for the past by our current youth...

That last bit was what finally did it for me, spurious space-filling 'Top Fifty' lists where current under-achievers like Webber and Trulli outrank men like Ascari and Prost. We have to face it guys, we've all outgrown the UK motor sport media, and that's more ageing than qualifying for a bus pass.

#2169 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:36

I thought the June issue had some promise. It could so easily have slipped into the usual Ferrari hagiography but the Derek Bell and Vic Elford interviews were great, both going into events that are covered in their (excellent) autobiographies but going beyond and getting new angles on them.

(And Vic is looking astonishingly youthful - where's he hidden 25 of those 72 years?)

#2170 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 15:25

We have to face it guys, we've all outgrown the UK motor sport media, and that's more ageing than qualifying for a bus pass.

That is quite an understatement. I will refrain from further (biting) comment.

#2171 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 16:09

Motorspost was arriving to me in retard but regularly (I mean, once a month).
Now the last issue I got is that with Andretti in the cover (March, I think).
I've sent a few e-mails to the subscriber dept. but got no answer at all.
My subscription will end in March 2008.
Now you are talking about the June issue !
I would be very glad if someone from the magazine/publisher take a look at this thread from time to time and read this mail.
By the way, my subscription account number is 00506518.

I hope I will not need a lawyer to solve this problem ...

André Acker.

#2172 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 17:57

Originally posted by David M. Kane
I received the following letter today:

Dear Former Subscriber:

Your name is about to be removed from our list of active subscribers to MOTOR SPORT- the original
motor racing magazine founded in 1924.

Once done, you will permanently forfeit your preferred status as a North American subscriber and all privileges thereunder, including your opportunity to subscribe at the special rates noted on the enclosed renewal savings form.

If such is your intention, you need not acknowledge this, my final correspondence on the subject. If not, you must reply forthwith.

To reinstate your subscription, return the enclosed renewal savings form in the courtesy reply envelope provided within ten days.

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathen Diggs
Subscription Service
North American Offices

P.S. If you have recently replied, kindly disregard this reminder. Our letters have probably crossed in the post.

This is either the 2nd or 3rd notice I hav received from them.

I think this letter was also founded in 1924...

#2173 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 13:38

Originally posted by Andre Acker
Motorspost was arriving to me in retard but regularly (I mean, once a month).
Now the last issue I got is that with Andretti in the cover (March, I think).
I've sent a few e-mails to the subscriber dept. but got no answer at all.
My subscription will end in March 2008.
Now you are talking about the June issue !
I would be very glad if someone from the magazine/publisher take a look at this thread from time to time and read this mail.
By the way, my subscription account number is 00506518.

I hope I will not need a lawyer to solve this problem ...

André Acker.

To be fair, I've just got an e-mail from the publisher informing that the missing magazines will be sent to me.
Thank you, MotorSpoRt.

André Acker.

#2174 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 15:08

Yep, I've just gone through the usual hoops!

Renewed subscription (or is it prescription?) in March 2007

Money taken from my Credit Card account

No June 2007 issue delievered so call subscriptions, "Terribly sorry, Sir, we shall send out a copy in 7/10 days"

"No thank you, please extend my subscription by one month - I shall purchase from newsagents"

Question to myself - why the h*ll did I bother to re-new the subscription anyway?

#2175 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 18:48

Question to myself - why the h*ll did I bother to re-new the subscription anyway?

Bill, Just cancel your subscription and spend the money on something else more worthwhile. You won't miss MS. I don't miss R&T or Autosport, both of which I read & subscribed to for decades and decades, and I don't think MS will be missed much, if at all.

#2176 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,712 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:56

I am with Don on this. I gave up Autosport and Motorsport a long while ago. I don't miss them a bit.

#2177 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,697 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 17:56

Having never received the latest issue, I checked to find that my subscription has expired. However, I have not been hounded by the publisher to renew, or showered with attractive offers, so they are obviously not very concerned whether they retain subscribers. I haven't bought the latest issue (is it August's or September's? - I lose track) and don't feel any withdrawal pangs.

#2178 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 635 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:04

Just finished reading Simon Taylors interview with WB in Motor Sport , and behind the scenes stories , many of the other articles look interesting, a good buy.

#2179 JohnH

JohnH

• 143 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:12

Darn, no Motorsport anywhere on any newstands here in Los Angeles now. I've been to Borders, Barnes and Nobles and one of the places it Hollywood that always has everything and I'm at these places that used to have it every week. I've not seen one new issue in three months. I made the mistake of not renewing my sub ontime, and was told they don't have back issues. This is a shame. EWA's service was so much better. This totally sucks. Im going to Email the main UK office and try EBay. Darn Shame.

John

Advertisement

#2180 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:38

I haven't seen it at Barnes & Nobles last weekend in Atlanta nor at the Borders next to home (Cumming). Actually I was hunting for Practical Classics but no M S green cover in sight.

#2181 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:50

After having received issue #5 in April, I thought things were better with the new US distributor. But here it is, the 26th of June, and I am still waiting for issue #6. An e mail exchange told me that I should have received it by June 17. When I told them that it hadn't, I also requested that they mail me an issue right away to make up for something that is apparently lost in the mail. I was told that they would, but that I would receive it in "six to eight weeks". :mad:

Seems from my vantage point that the new distributor is not anywhere near as efficient as EWA.

I am chagrined. :mad:

#2182 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:55

To make you feel better... I'm dealing with the same kind of absurdity with the INS. Just got a letter today I might get deported in 30 days.... Oh great!

#2183 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:09

Well that sure trumps my missing a magazine. Good luck to you and I hope it works out for the best.

#2184 JohnH

JohnH

• 143 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:44

To clarify have not seen a new issue in the stores anywhere since April. Never has happened before. Still see Autosport and F1 Racing all the time. Shoot! Sorry about the INS they are reaching new lows in absurdity, including now trying to deport a Cuban woman who's been here since age 1 and has four kids, married, job, etc... She tried to run for a local election and they caught her. She didn't even realize she wasn't fully legal. Sheesh.

John

#2185 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 20:49

Originally posted by Andre Acker

To be fair, I've just got an e-mail from the publisher informing that the missing magazines will be sent to me.
Thank you, MotorSpoRt.

André Acker.

Well, I think I was a little bit hurry saying that ...
No magazine arrived !
And it seems I am not the only victim !

André Acker.

#2186 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,313 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 15:11

Originally posted by Pils1989
To make you feel better... I'm dealing with the same kind of absurdity with the INS. Just got a letter today I might get deported in 30 days.... Oh great!

On the plus side, you might be able to catch up with Motor Sport.

#2187 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 14:23

The briefest flick through the latest edition drew attention to an article by John Davenport on a private collection of rally cars. The 66 RAC winning Lotus Cortina of Soderstrom/Palm is described as "Gp1, with rear seats and lap and diagonal belts". Unfortunately the accompanying picture clearly shows it having later, non-period full harnesses. Even more unfortunately, all 4 works cars were Gp2 (which then also required rear seats) and JD co-drove Vic Elford in one of them.......

Returned to the rack....

#2188 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 15:34

I let my MotorSport subscription expire a year ago, after numerous non-deliveries and failures to acknowledge contact attempts. Didn't really miss it because it never became a dependable, familiar presence.

Yesterday a mail solicitation arrived: 12 issues with free - I mean FREE - freight and postage from Europe for a third the price paid for the lapsed year.

Can I resist? I think not!

--
Frank S

#2189 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 16:33

I went for the same offer. After years of a lapsed subscription, I found it an offer I couldn't (or didn't want to ) refuse.

So far, it is working out pretty well. A bit of a wait but worth it, for me. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to arrive in a semi-timely fashion.

Lin C.

#2190 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,328 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 22:45

I have renewed MS and have enjoyed the new US guys who bring it here. I get weeks faster. The defocus on GP cars and more on sports cars and others I like. Overall, big improvement from a few years ago.

#2191 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 23:56

I am now even too lazy to look back to a post where I mentioned cycling for miles to get my copy from the specialist newsagent.
I now realise that the past few months, visiting same newsagent I haven't even bothered leafing through a copy anymore.
Don't miss it. Not my problem.

Subscription ??? sorry , can't trust my money to them.

#2192 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,396 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 00:15

Originally posted by Lemans
I have renewed MS and have enjoyed the new US guys who bring it here. I get weeks faster. The defocus on GP cars and more on sports cars and others I like. Overall, big improvement from a few years ago.

The current issue has been on US newsstands for at least a week (probably more) and I still don't have my subscriber copy. Hard for me to see any improvement over EWA's performance.

Jack

#2193 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:01

I just received issue 7 (July) in the mail today. I know, I know, a lot of you have already received the August issue. But frankly, I am not that upset because this is not a time-dependent publication. The stories will read just as well now as they would have last month.

But let's move on. The issue I just received has lunch with Bill Boddy. This is a Yank speaking to you Brits: do you realize just what a treasure you have in WB? The man is just remarkable. I only came to know of him in the past 20 years or so, and I must say I have never failed to be impressed. How I would love to sit down and have a conversation with him. What a splendid fellow!

Tom

#2194 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:18

Originally posted by ensign14

On the plus side, you might be able to catch up with Motor Sport.

I think the lawyer is still cheaper on long-term :D

#2195 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,313 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:12

Originally posted by Pils1989

I think the lawyer is still cheaper on long-term :D

OK, that's my epitaph right there.

Originally posted by RA Historian
But let's move on. The issue I just received has lunch with Bill Boddy. This is a Yank speaking to you Brits: do you realize just what a treasure you have in WB? The man is just remarkable. I only came to know of him in the past 20 years or so, and I must say I have never failed to be impressed. How I would love to sit down and have a conversation with him. What a splendid fellow!

I've just read his book on Montlhery.

Full of information, but, dear God, the style is about as interesting as celery.

#2196 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:14

My problem with WB is not that he's boring - he's often capable of being fascinating - but rather that he's so knowledgeable that the fascinating nuggets are buried within abstruse discussion of things that only he and a few VSCC mates really care about. In his Brooklands magnum opus there are plenty of places where little asides about important or interesting cars or their owners or drivers are buried in descriptions of Short Handicaps. To WB the whole area of knowledge seems to be evenly illuminated - everything is connected and no fact is more important than any other.

The Brooklands book really is the Gormenghast of racing literature. It's vastly long, wildly eccentric, somewhat forbidding on first encounter, written in an arcane prose style, full of bizarre people and events, and ultimately is highly rewarding and something that lives with you for years. Hell, it was even originally published in three volumes!

WB is a remarkable man, and I'd love to be a quarter as sharp as him at that age. He is not part of the modern world, and sadly that does seem to be something of a barrier to sharing his knowledge with future generations.

I've been lectured by people like WB in the past; where you need to spend almost as long after the lecture working out what was important as you did listening in the first place.

#2197 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:47

Ensign - what have you got against celery then?

DCN

#2198 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,278 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 13:07

Ogden Nash had a word or two on celery...

#2199 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,313 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 13:16

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Ensign - what have you got against celery then?

DCN

Tastes of nothing. It's just there. There's nothing particularly meritorious about celery, there's no pep of chili, bitterness of cocoa, sweetness of blackcurrant or whatever. The best bit in the Montlhery book was the end chapter on Douglas and Gwenda Hawkes. The rest of the book was basically one big table of speeds and positions written longhand. The French GP report for one year was a paragraph of stats. It could have been churned out by babelfish.

I wouldn't have minded some insights on how it was actually to break a record there, how it was to race there, the background of Ernest Eldridge, exactly why the GP de l'ACF suddenly became a sportscar race and so on. No mention of Leslie Johnson seeing Visions of tall people in conical hats over the banking, for example.

Advertisement

#2200 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 13:29

Originally posted by ensign14

No mention of Leslie Johnson seeing Visions of tall people in conical hats over the banking, for example.

Posted Image