• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2201 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 13:41

Originally posted by RS2000

Posted Image

Wasn't this Moss & co dressing up as some strange supernatural beings and poppuing up over the top of the banking during that epic XK120 record breaking run?

Advertisement

#2202 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:04

A small moan, and this is probably the best place for it. This month we see yet another recycling of Nigel Roebuck's standard article on Mario Andretti. It's like Groundhog day, even down to the quote on the evils of communism (everyone's supposed to be equal... we all had nothing etc etc....), and Roebuck's own standard pithy little remark on the Labour government here in the UK - which he has at least had the good grace to update slightly: delete Blair, insert Brown.

Money for old rope. And rather sad actually, because the guy can really write, or at least he can when he gets his backside into gear.

#2203 mfd

mfd

• 2,907 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:19

Originally posted by ian senior
A small moan, and this is probably the best place for it. This month we see yet another recycling of Nigel Roebuck's standard article on Mario Andretti.

You do find a lot of repeats on TV...and they do re-issue old hit records... :rolleyes:

#2204 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 638 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:59

A day ahead of schedule, I got a copy in Dublin this morning , with articles on Bertas F1 car and David Purley it looks like a good read .

#2205 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,101 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:35

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
A day ahead of schedule, I got a copy in Dublin this morning , with articles on Bertas F1 car and David Purley it looks like a good read .

You can't say things like that in this thread sir! You're coming dangerously close to praising Motor Sport! Most uncool.;)

#2206 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 15:54

"Order Confirmation" (bill) arrived 31 July, the first issue, 1 August. The bill offers two years, $99.50.

Will I resist? I think not.

I've just looked at a third of the magazine, and my one complaint to date is: it takes a bit to suss the averts from the articles. Must be my lack of integration into the Modern World. If Modern Readers make those discernments effortlessly, perhaps I don't want to integrate.

--
Frank S

#2207 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 22:01

I see they've got a new columnist, probably grooming him to take over from WB as their resident Methuselah.

#2208 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 23:01

Perhaps 'Methuselah to be ' could point out to the editor-in-chief that the (Ford ) chicane at Le Mans didn't come into being until several years after 1962 ( Page 36 Line 10 ) :rolleyes:

I also seem to remember the same person wrote an article about Rouen Les Essarts under the impression that Jochen Rindt set the pole time for the ill fated 1968 race on the version of the circuit built over a year after the Jochens death :rolleyes:

Although I can't stand Mr Frankels writing and my heart dropped when I saw he was involved with the latest reincarnation of the magazine, I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed with the articles so far :up:

Perhaps he should stick to editing rather than trying to write :)

#2209 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,162 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:04

Originally posted by JohnH
Darn, no Motorsport anywhere on any newstands here in Los Angeles now. I've been to Borders, Barnes and Nobles and one of the places it Hollywood that always has everything and I'm at these places that used to have it every week. I've not seen one new issue in three months. I made the mistake of not renewing my sub ontime, and was told they don't have back issues. This is a shame. EWA's service was so much better. This totally sucks. Im going to Email the main UK office and try EBay. Darn Shame.

John

John, I'm finding your problems finding this mag worrisome. I work at a Borders (in the Chicago suburbs), and we've not had any interruptions in supply of MS or any of the British magazines we stock. We did switch magazine distributors recently (actually the shippers, a company that handles the delivery of new ones and pickup of old ones-we get two deliveries/pickups a week instead of a few boxes every day via UPS). This may have had an effect with it-I don't know if they've done the switch on the West Coast yet.

Re: back issues. Most stores won't keep old issues because we have to send unsold copies back for credit, and there's a time limit on that. If something sits too long we can't get credit for it. (I get lots and lots of requests for back issues of all kinds of magazines). Have you tried Autobooks/Aerobooks in Burbank? They seemed to have a good supply last time I was there, and had back issues of a few titles.

-William

#2210 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,162 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:14

Originally posted by petefenelon

The Brooklands book really is the Gormenghast of racing literature. It's vastly long, wildly eccentric, somewhat forbidding on first encounter, written in an arcane prose style, full of bizarre people and events, and ultimately is highly rewarding and something that lives with you for years. Hell, it was even originally published in three volumes!

Pete, that's the best description of that book I've ever read. I got the numbered reprint a few years ago and waded right in. Eventually I got through it, and also found it quite rewarding. FWIW, Boddy's Brooklands Giants, which is the original Brooklands Giants and Aero-Engined Racing Cars at Brooklands in one volume, is a much easier book to digest.

Still, I do quite enjoy Boddy's columns in Motor Sport as well.

-William

#2211 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 21:59

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD

which month's issue would that be ?

#2212 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,128 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 22:10

September 2007 which arrived last week.

#2213 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 17:49

Oh, What a surprise, seems another issue has failed to make its way to me :evil:

Any other subscribers still waiting?

#2214 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 00:40

Originally posted by Mistron

I just got the August issue on Saturday, so it will be a month before September comes. At least I get one a month......

#2215 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:20

And a revival of Skulldouggery... :clap:

#2216 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:24

And a revival of Skulldouggery...

The high point of the magazine - thanks, DCN

#2217 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:37

Bill Patterson,

With great respect, I assume you arent the G W Patterson....of Australian motor racing legend?

Stan Patterson

Old Aussie Grump

#2218 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:00

With great respect, I assume you arent the G W Patterson....of Australian motor racing legend?

'fraid not Stan, nor am I the noted US motor racing artist of the same name!

#2219 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:04

Originally posted by bill patterson
And a revival of Skulldouggery...

The high point of the magazine - thanks, DCN

Although I think his telling of the FoS Derek Bell incident was better on here ;)

Advertisement

#2220 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:15

Originally posted by ensign14
And a revival of Skulldouggery... :clap:

ensign, I know that you are a stickler for detail, so perhaps it is better recalled accurately as "Skulduggery"
as seen in C&SC from the late '80s to early 90s

Roger Lund.

#2221 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:20

Thank you Bill.

iI am afraid to say I do not know of your American Bill Patterson.

Our Aussie Patto was a very fast driver of F1 cars...beligerent and aggressive..almost an Aussie Gonzales.

He was the son of a Wimbledon champion ...talented and very very fast

Stan Pattersoin
Old Aussie Grump

#2222 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:35

Originally posted by bradbury west

ensign, I know that you are a stickler for detail, so perhaps it is better recalled accurately as "Skulduggery"

Roger Lund.

I know, I was adding an o as a clue to those who had never heard of it.

#2223 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,517 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:37

Roger Lund.

... and also in Historic Racing after that.

#2224 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 253 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:00

Oh, What a surprise, seems another issue has failed to make its way to me :evil:

Me too!

#2225 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,419 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 16:39

My issue arrived Friday 8/3. With its many articles on Le Mans and sports cars, I am well pleased. Im in the Boston area.

#2226 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 17:13

following my post yesterday I phoned today to cancel my long standing subscription (been nothing but trouble recently between late issues and non placed adverts in the classified)

Apparently I have always recieved a complimentary subscription from the publisher but it has expired :confused:

News to me - I've always paid by DD.

there is a phrase about brewries that I think applies

still, saved me cancelling my subscription I suppose.

I wish them well for their no doubt short future

#2227 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 18:39

following my post yesterday I phoned today to cancel my long standing subscription (been nothing but trouble recently between late issues and non placed adverts in the classified)

Apparently I have always recieved a complimentary subscription from the publisher but it has expired :confused:

News to me - I've always paid by DD.

there is a phrase about brewries that I think applies

still, saved me cancelling my subscription I suppose.

I wish them well for their no doubt short future

I suspect some of the delays on UK deliveries are due to the vagaries of what passes for a postal service her, plus the inevitable aftermath of the postal strikes. My copy arrived what I see as 4 days late.

However, in recent weeks I have had chance to catch up on the two previous issues, and along with this latest copy, I am of the view that they have turned the corner regarding content and quality, which I regard as excellent, varied and covering the broad-church topics which many of us enjoy. to which the additional wordage/length of the main articles is a bonus, especially in the "Lunch with...." pieces. Whether they listened to criticism, worked it out for themselves or had some serious prods from alumni such as Simon Taylor etc etc I know not.

I do not know what you all expect from the magazine, apart from declaiming that whatever you are given is not what you want, but the world has moved on and the guys seem to be trying to get it right.

As I have said before, if you do not like it you have a choice, but if you do like it, then at least play the game and be prepared to say so. You can e mail them, and they even answer the 'phone, and tell them.

btw, let us hope the Skulduggery column is allowed content and editorial freedom.

Roger Lund.

#2228 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 18:52

I agree that the content seems to have improved, it's just the service that remains poor as a subscriber and advertiser.

I'll still look through MS in the newsagent and probably buy it most months- that way I don't have to deal with the publisher and the frustrations that go with them.

#2229 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 19:32

However, in recent weeks I have had chance to catch up on the two previous issues, and along with this latest copy, I am of the view that they have turned the corner regarding content and quality, which I regard as excellent, varied and covering the broad-church topics which many of us enjoy. to which the additional wordage/length of the main articles is a bonus, especially in the "Lunch with...." pieces. Whether they listened to criticism, worked it out for themselves or had some serious prods from alumni such as Simon Taylor etc etc I know not.
Roger Lund.

Ditto! I renewed my subscription in the rain at the FOS and feel the same as Roger, although mine came late, I guess due to Postman Pat, the contents is good, loved the article on Sandro Munari, great if they give us more articles on the Targa, the Old Spa and the 'Ring, F1,F2,Sportscars, whatever, food for the imagination!My renewed subscription expires in Oct '08, keep it up guys!!!!

The pictures from the LAT collection take some beating also :up:

Sterling

#2230 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 19:57

I just love the full page shot of JC just as he reaches the door of the Zagato.

RL

#2231 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,750 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 20:04

Originally posted by bradbury west I just love the full page shot of JC just as he reaches the door of the Zagato.

Agreed. One of my all-time favourite shots too, Roger. It's actually one of the late Michael Cooper's finest.

#2232 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,571 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 20:12

I received the latest issue last week, but the month's before, no hide nor hare of it! (I had to buy it)

#2233 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 20:46

I just love the full page shot of JC just as he reaches the door of the Zagato.

RL

:up: :up: :up:

The man!!!!!

#2234 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 21:02

Originally posted by Andre Acker

To be fair, I've just got an e-mail from the publisher informing that the missing magazines will be sent to me.
Thank you, MotorSpoRt.

André Acker.

Unfortunately, I have not received April, June, July, August issues !
It is a pity because I had no problems at all with MotorSport up to February or March /2007, although many of you were already complainning about missing issues.
I've sent them a message yesterday, I hope there will be at least an aswer.

André Acker.

#2235 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:54

I don't know whether this is relevant or not but yesterday I bought in my local newspaper shop (Mornington, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia) a special pack of 3 Motor Sport magazines, Dec 06, Jan 07 and one which doesn't have the month but says Vol 83, No. 4, (original price of $11.95 Australian each copy, totalling $36.00 Australia), for $9.95 Aust., for the 3 magazines.

#2236 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:58

Re above post - if anyone wants any or all to make up their collection just call - no charge.

#2237 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 15:35

I'd love to get hold of copies from January and February 2007 to complete the year as my new subscription started in March.

I was under the impression that Motorsport didn't deal in back issues. Is this correct?

Motorsport isn't found on the newstands of my small town.

So far, we are receiving all issues with no problem and
are enjoying the nostalgia factor of many articles as we trip down memory lane.
:)

Lin C

#2238 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 18:17

I find it interesting that Octane are offering, for the second month, 3 issues for £1.

Roger Lund.

#2239 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 19:10

I find it interesting that Octane are offering, for the second month, 3 issues for £1.

Roger Lund.

I think it's because Octane is now associated with (or perhaps even owned by) Dennis Publishing.

Dennis Publishing often run "3 issues for £1" offers for quite a few of their titles.

Advertisement

#2240 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 19:55

Roger Lund.

I tried this magazine, but it never appealed to me. The offer could be interpreted as, either they are just on a roll and are on a sales drive.....or they are doing badly and are on a sales drive! It would be interesting to know what other members think of this publication. .

#2241 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,517 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 20:36

Originally posted by Shockabuku

I think it's because Octane is now associated with (or perhaps even owned by) Dennis Publishing.

Dennis Publishing often run "3 issues for £1" offers for quite a few of their titles.

Yes, they were acquired by Dennis Publishing earlier this year. They didn't make a lot of noise about it though. Pretty much like their first ABC circulation figures, which appeared very quietly and which were - putting it kindly - disappointing.

Total world circulation was slightly under 29000 copies per month, of which just 23300 were "actively purchased": they gave away nearly 5400 copies every month. UK sales from all sources: 12721. Rest of the world: 10579.

There is actually a thread about Octane, although it's been dormant for a while ...

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=85258

#2242 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,844 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:46

I have again been seduced by the 3 issues for £3.00 for Motor Sport and have once again taken out a subscription. Time alone will tell if this becomes a permanent deal!

:wave:

#2243 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:47

From Tony Brooks' article this month on the British GP 1957:

I had been party to a pretty good BRM burn-out job at Silverstone in the 1956 British GP - the car recognising its serious shortcomings and doing the decent thing - but I was in an unconscious, disinterested state beside the inferno at the time.

You don't get writing like that much nowadays. Can't someone please persuade him to write an autobiography? If needs be just tell him that it's a history of motor racing in the 50s and early 60s...

#2244 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:47

Originally posted by ensign14
From Tony Brooks' article this month on the British GP 1957:

You don't get writing like that much nowadays.

True, and you don't often see 'disinterested' used in its correct sense either.

#2245 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,512 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:29

Doesn't bother me either way............

#2246 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 22:43

Is MOTORSPORT still being published ?
Has the publisher shut the doors ?

I have been sending mails to them for the last two weeks, complainning that my magazines are not arriving and I got no answer at all.

What is really hard is that I paid for a 2 years subscription ...

The situation is absolutely ridiculous !

André Acker.

#2247 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 23:35

There's a new distributor in the US. Perhaps this is the case in Brazil as well, which may explain the problem.

Jack.

#2248 JohnH

JohnH

• 145 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 23:53

Originally posted by WDH74

John, I'm finding your problems finding this mag worrisome. I work at a Borders (in the Chicago suburbs), and we've not had any interruptions in supply of MS or any of the British magazines we stock. We did switch magazine distributors recently (actually the shippers, a company that handles the delivery of new ones and pickup of old ones-we get two deliveries/pickups a week instead of a few boxes every day via UPS). This may have had an effect with it-I don't know if they've done the switch on the West Coast yet.

Re: back issues. Most stores won't keep old issues because we have to send unsold copies back for credit, and there's a time limit on that. If something sits too long we can't get credit for it. (I get lots and lots of requests for back issues of all kinds of magazines). Have you tried Autobooks/Aerobooks in Burbank? They seemed to have a good supply last time I was there, and had back issues of a few titles.

-William

Thanks William I will try Autobooks. Was in Borders last night, still no MS. Have yet to see MS on the west coast at all lately since I wrote that. Was in Barnes and Noble last week. No MS anywhere since March or April. My sub is paid up now and I won't let it lapse again.

John

#2249 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 21:58

Well, as it's been a few weeks since a good bash at MS.....

.....this is the only (of many) magazine I subscribe to where the news agent gets his copies two weeks before the subscribers get theirs.

Jack

#2250 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,419 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 23:19

I enjoy MS more each issue I have. It arrvies earlier than ever. Call me a satisfied customer. :up: