Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2251 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 00:18

It's been on the newsstand for two weeks, but this loyal subscriber still doesn't have his. The new US distributor is even worse than EWA was.

Jack

Advertisement

#2252 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,429 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:10

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
It's been on the newsstand for two weeks, but this loyal subscriber still doesn't have his. The new US distributor is even worse than EWA was.

Jack

I am afraid Jack is right. My first issue under the new distributor came earlier than I had ever received copies from EWA. I was delighted. Alas, it was a false start. Since then, one issue never arrived at all, and the September issue, which I believe was delivered in early August in the UK, finally reached me early this week. Not only was it a month and a half after the first deliveries, but it was a good three weeks later than usual. Yes, I am not thrilled with the new distributor.
Tom

#2253 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:55

I understand Motor Sport has a "new investor" be interesting if it changes direction in the next few issues.

#2254 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:21

Nigel Roebuck is leaving Autosport magazine to "join" Motor Sport!

Source: http://www.grandprix...ns/ns19681.html

Obviously Nigel has been writing for Motor Sport for approx 10 years now, but perhaps this means he will be writing more than just his "Legends" piece every month.

#2255 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:45

Originally posted by Shockabuku

Obviously Nigel has been writing for Motor Sport for approx 10 years now, but perhaps this means he will be writing more than just his "Legends" piece every month.

I look forward to the next appearance of his stock footage on Mario Andretti.

#2256 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:10

Ah but new jibes at the new PM!

#2257 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,683 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:55

Originally posted by ian senior

I look forward to the next appearance of his stock footage on Mario Andretti.

And Gilles V, Prost, and Amon no doubt too.

#2258 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,621 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:13

noooooooooooooo :cry:

(granted, GrandPrix has its critics but i'm not happy AT ALL to read this)

ps - 'Bishop will start work as Group Head of Communications and Public Relations at McLaren on January 2 next year' - would you? could you? :rotfl:

#2259 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 15:19

Good news as far as I'm concerned :up: I always enjoy reading NR and look forward to his MS contributions.

Advertisement

#2260 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,368 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:37

Originally posted by Gary C, November 16th 2005
Yes indeed. After just nine months, current editor Damien Smith is off to 'Autosport', Marcus Simmons will be in charge from the January issue.

Originally posted by Twin Window, November 16th 2005
It's nothing more than a straightforward promotion for Damien, I think you'll find.

And hey; he did a great job IMHO.

And two years later he's on his way back again ....

#2261 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:53

Autosport is now being discussed here.

#2262 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 21:08

I don't read Autosport. I don't read MotorSport either, but that's only because they can't seem to get it delivered to me.

Jack

#2263 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 637 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:22

For all our cribbing, distribution is good in Dublin at least, got mine this morning.

#2264 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:51

Mine arrived as I was off to work this morning so only got a quick glance. There looks to be plenty for me to read this month (is it just me or is MS getting better month on month?) but I did spot a caption error. The Arrows, said to be the A1 shown in the Patrese article, is in fact the FA1 racing at the Swedish GP.

#2265 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,368 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 13:28

Yes, a pleasant companion over lunch today. Much as Andy Green must have been :up:

Still plenty left to read too. I have to say MS has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few months: there's more contemporary coverage, but it's certainly not detracting from the historic element. :up:

#2266 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 13:38

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Yes, a pleasant companion over lunch today. Much as Andy Green must have been :up:

I had a quick chat with Andy Green at the FoS. The man is an absolute gent.

#2267 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 21:48

Originally posted by Maldwyn
Mine arrived as I was off to work this morning so only got a quick glance. There looks to be plenty for me to read this month (is it just me or is MS getting better month on month?) but I did spot a caption error. The Arrows, said to be the A1 shown in the Patrese article, is in fact the FA1 racing at the Swedish GP.

October? I'm still waiting for September's issue. I just called "customer service." It takes two weeks to receive a replacement. Are they sent by stagecoach? Ridiculous.

Jack

#2268 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 21:00

They never respond to Emails..even when offered pics they were asking for...

Stan
Old Aussie Grump

#2269 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 21:23

Originally posted by Maldwyn
There looks to be plenty for me to read this month

Anyone spotted the Jackie Oliver side bar to the Oldtimer GP - interesting bit where he recounts doing 200mph on the old Nordschleife...in a Porsche 917 :confused:

#2270 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,828 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 19:19

Magazine arrived today, forgot that it was even due. A flick through looks interesting, an article on Jacky Ickx in the beautiful 312 Ferrari looked my likely 1st read, but then I saw the article on the Lotus Cortina, just brilliant! Pictures of Jim in PHK615D on full opposite leading the pack at Snetterton and Jacky Ickx in the same car, but at Brands on opposite lock, front wheel akimbo with the back dug in, going up through South Bank, onto the GP circuit (my usual place to watch and I was likely there that day), if this does not move anybody to tears, what will??? It is the 1st time that I have seen the Ickx photo, and not the usual view for South Bank, as photographers used to snap the cars head on. Oh, and Nigel Roebuck has an article on the GP season. The magazine seems thicker this month, but the nights are drawing in :smoking:

#2271 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:12

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I have to say MS has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few months: there's more contemporary coverage, but it's certainly not detracting from the historic element. :up:

I think that's certainly the case for the latest issue :up:

#2272 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 15:45

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sterling49
........ but then I saw the article on the Lotus Cortina, just brilliant! Pictures of Jim in PHK615D on full opposite leading the pack at Snetterton and Jacky Ickx in the same car, but at Brands on opposite lock, front wheel akimbo with the back dug in, going up through South Bank, onto the GP circuit (my usual place to watch and I was likely there that day), if this does not move anybody to tears, what will??? It is the 1st time that I have seen the Ickx photo, and not the usual view for South Bank, as photographers used to snap the cars head on.

PLUG !

Have you seen the chapters on Brands and Snetterton in my book?

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus.

#2273 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,894 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 17:00

It's nice to see how Motor Sport has quietly become better and better (in my view) over the last few months. Simon Taylor's "Dinner With" is for me now the consistent quality core of the magazine, with lots of juicy stuff surrounding it. Compare with the skin and bone of the red cover days....

Nobody has said much about the fact that more and more modern coverage has crept in over the last few issues. Suits me fine, actually...and at least it seems to be written for grown-ups.

And a nice sizeable article about someone I know little about: Jack Lewis.

Just one complaint. This issue seems to be DCN-less. :(

#2274 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 17:04

Originally posted by David Beard
Just one complaint. This issue seems to be DCN-less.

He appears on page 120 in my copy, David.

#2275 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,894 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 17:18

Originally posted by Alan Cox

He appears on page 120 in my copy, David.

Phew! :blush:

#2276 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,828 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 21:41

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Darley
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sterling49
........ but then I saw the article on the Lotus Cortina, just brilliant! Pictures of Jim in PHK615D on full opposite leading the pack at Snetterton and Jacky Ickx in the same car, but at Brands on opposite lock, front wheel akimbo with the back dug in, going up through South Bank, onto the GP circuit (my usual place to watch and I was likely there that day), if this does not move anybody to tears, what will??? It is the 1st time that I have seen the Ickx photo, and not the usual view for South Bank, as photographers used to snap the cars head on.

PLUG !

Have you seen the chapters on Brands and Snetterton in my book?

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus.
[/QUOTE]

It's on my Xmas list this year Peter :up:

#2277 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 00:08

It's nice to see how Motor Sport has quietly become better and better (in my view) over the last few months. :(

Absolutely agree. Credit where it's due, there's been a lot of slagging off of MS in this thread but I for one think it's now going in the right direction.

#2278 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,828 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 00:16

Originally posted by lil'chris

Absolutely agree. Credit where it's due, there's been a lot of slagging off of MS in this thread but I for one think it's now going in the right direction.

Agreed! It is the only periodical that I subscribe to now.I am being churlish, purely personal opinion, but I still prefer the "old style" lined green cover with the photo inset :up: :up: Just classic :smoking:

#2279 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,992 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 00:25

Bit behind you lot; the October issue has just flopped onto the driveway (life's tough in the colonies!) and I must say, the old girl's been steadily improving for some time now with a good, broad spectrum of articles. Well done all concerned.

Advertisement

#2280 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,368 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 00:30

It's nice to see how Motor Sport has quietly become better and better (in my view) over the last few months.

I fink that's wot I sed larst munf ... ;)

#2281 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:58

Definitely getting better and better.

My one remaining beef is the shape of the magazine. It is constantly being damaged as my postman tries to force it through my letterbox.

(Maybe I should get a new letterbox).

#2282 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,607 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:43

Ring them or e mail them in that case, wth a "not for publication" rider if necessary. They respond well to all feedback
Roger Lund.

#2283 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,774 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:39

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin

My one remaining beef is the shape of the magazine. It is constantly being damaged as my postman tries to force it through my letterbox.

My beef is with both the magazine and the Post Office. For some reason the plastic envelope that they use is easily punctured within the Post Office's handling system so that when it rains water seeps in. Secondly whilst putting the mag through the letter box the spine is often broken/damaged due in my opinion to the overly square format.

I have no intention of getting a new letterbox but have thought about complaining! I probably will now.

:wave:

#2284 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 18:53

I've appreciated and enjoyed "The Wet Issue" issue. Seems as if current complaints are limited to the physical. Bodes well.

--
Frank S

#2285 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,173 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 19:28

Shame the caption to one of the Lotus Cortina photos implies it's 1964, when it is clearly 1966.
As for "the first homologation special", well, maybe first as a Gp2 saloon but a whole host of Gp3 models from other manufacturers had gone before?

#2286 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 20:00

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that MotorSport was a monthy mag. I got the "Wet Issue", and in it was the Grand Prix calender as of Hungry back in August, page 18. Why is that? I could understand if Spa or Fiji had been the last one in but, August?

#2287 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,828 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 21:01

Originally posted by RS2000
Shame the caption to one of the Lotus Cortina photos implies it's 1964, when it is clearly 1966.
As for "the first homologation special", well, maybe first as a Gp2 saloon but a whole host of Gp3 models from other manufacturers had gone before?

Agreed, the "D" plates tend to give it away.......still love the article though.

#2288 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,872 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:37

Maybe I should get a new letterbox.

NO! Get a new postman!

#2289 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:49

Originally posted by Ivan
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that MotorSport was a monthy mag. I got the "Wet Issue", and in it was the Grand Prix calender as of Hungry back in August, page 18. Why is that? I could understand if Spa or Fiji had been the last one in but, August?

It is all to do with print dates and having to cut-off input to get the copy to the printers in time to get the magazine distributed. Several Monthly and Bi-monthly magazines have the same problem of immediacy.

:wave:

#2290 raoul leDuke

raoul leDuke

• 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:39

I emailed Gordon Cruickshank at Motor Sport just after Hans Ruesch passed away and asked if he would like me to submit an obit. He said by all means as they would need one. I sent the copy off and heard nothing, not even a note to say that he had received it. I assumed that it was unsuitable and thought nothing more until I read the following issue with my obit in it! No acknowledgement and no thanks.

#2291 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:07

Raoul,

That's a consistent event in the life of writers. Who says it's a matter of respect and glory? You've got to be very, very patient. Editors do what they do to surprise you after you've sat in the dark for a long period of time. Their routine was practiced on them when they were at the bottom of the pile, and they are now passing it on to you. OR SIMPLY, they are over-worked.

Wating for your money is another pulling of teeth.

Mike :lol:

#2292 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 13:06

The magazine is now as good as ever it was- it's changed but so have I.This month's an excellent and long read.Only thing that irritates- Mr Dutton's increasingly bizarre ramblings in his advertisements- is he on some form of medication ?

#2293 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 13:47

Originally posted by john aston
Only thing that irritates- Mr Dutton's increasingly bizarre ramblings in his advertisements- is he on some form of medication ?

I don't mind that at all - it reminds me of some of the advertisements from the likes of the Portobello Motor Co and John Britten in the late 60s/early 70s.

For me, Motor Sport has hit the right formula now. The modern stuff is fine because it's written from a more measured perspective than you'll find in the hysterical weeklies, plus it's written by proper writers. The one thing I'm not too keen on is almost anything by Andrew Frankel - I get to the end of one of his pieces and immediately forget what it was all about. But he's doing a fine job of editing in chief, if that's what it's called.

#2294 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 14:34

[i]Originally posted by ian senior
I don't mind that at all - it reminds me of some of the advertisements from the likes of the Portobello Motor Co and John Britten in the late 60s/early 70s.
For me, Motor Sport has hit the right formula now..... I'm not too keen on is almost anything by Andrew Frankel - [/B]

Ah, Halcyon days of Britten's and Alford's ramblings, plus the brilliant Portobello M C ads.
I suppose that the modern car stuff has its appeal to part of the demographic; they work on a very broad commercial remit. I agree that it is now a top production, very much of its time serving today's market. One thing which I have noticed of late is that Octane seems to have upped its game, standards, content, call it what you will, which may be a consequence of Felix Dennis', IIRC, ownership, or possibly a recognition on their part that MS is now at the forefront again and with a more discerning readership.

Raoul, I would be very surprised if GC did not reply to you as that would be contrary his normal courteous way. He effectively runs the whole shebang, AFAIK, and they are certainly not over-staffed, so he would be aware of your input, especially as you say that you offerred the obit. (which some of us appreciated) and he agreed for you to send one. Perhaps he saw fit to edit your submission. What more do you want? Remember, putting a magazine together is a very time-and space-constrained process, as David McK and Ray Bell will agree.

Roger Lund.

#2295 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:58

Well, just to let you know of the state of delivery here in the US, I just received, today, November 27, my November issue, #11. This is a full month late from the usual delivery that I have been getting. The Oct issue arrived the end of September, so it has been two months between deliveries. Based upon past patterns until this issue, the Dec issue should be here in a day or two. Based upon the delivery of the Nov issue, I probably should not expect delivery until after the New Year!

Just to let you in the UK know that when you complain of the Dec issue not arriving until the start of Nov that you do not have my sympathy!
Tom

#2296 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:11

I agree that the magazine is getting better and better :D

Has anyone contacted them about the story on the Healey SR that they reported as original or am I just sh** disturbing again :rotfl:

#2297 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:18

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin

You should be so lucky! Here in The Colonies it flies through the air - normally landing somewhere in my driveway - propelled by the hairy right arm of the local newsagent as he whizzes by in his rusty Corolla! :

#2298 john ruston

john ruston

• 963 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:24

Tim Duttons ads are similar to those of John Brittan,Arkley? and entertain me and most of my mates.There is usually a hidden message about various things that have happened in the old car world and he has been involved in many happenings this year, some good some bad.
You don't need to read them ! There are lots of other ads with lists of cars
Motor Sport is back and Mr Frankel is doing a good job

#2299 Tom Vandenhecke

Tom Vandenhecke

• 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 20:29

The magazine is getting better indeed. But the first couple of articles you come across are always about modern F1, the same for the cover. It has had a 07 F1 car on the front for the past 2 months now, I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Advertisement

#2300 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:49

Originally posted by john ruston
Tim Duttons ads are similar to those of John Brittan,Arkley? and entertain me and most of my mates.There is usually a hidden message about various things that have happened in the old car world and he has been involved in many happenings this year, some good some bad.
You don't need to read them ! There are lots of other ads with lists of cars
Motor Sport is back and Mr Frankel is doing a good job

I Agree, does he have a problem with binge drinking? :drunk: