'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2301 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 19:05

Originally posted by RA Historian
Well, just to let you know of the state of delivery here in the US, I just received, today, November 27, my November issue, #11. This is a full month late from the usual delivery that I have been getting. The Oct issue arrived the end of September, so it has been two months between deliveries. Based upon past patterns until this issue, the Dec issue should be here in a day or two. Based upon the delivery of the Nov issue, I probably should not expect delivery until after the New Year!

Just to let you in the UK know that when you complain of the Dec issue not arriving until the start of Nov that you do not have my sympathy!
Tom

I picked up the November issue from my local newsstand two weeks ago (Rich's Cigar Store, Portland Oregon). They've reliably carried Motor Sport for the last 20 years.

Bill

Advertisement

#2302 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,753 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 20:32

I agree with most of the recent postings that the magazine is now far better than it has been for some time, but I agree with Ian Senior regarding the Editor-in-Chief's offerings - his over-frequent pieces on modern 'supercars' appears to me to be self-indulgence. Any news on when the new permanent editor will be taking up his post?

#2303 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,334 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 21:07

Andrew has declared that January's issue is his last.

#2304 john ruston

john ruston

• 976 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 21:53

Tim Dutton-He has no problem with binge drinking!

#2305 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 496 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:48

Well, just to let you know of the state of delivery here in the US, I just received, today, November 27, my November issue, #11. This is a full month late from the usual delivery that I have been getting. The Oct issue arrived the end of September, so it has been two months between deliveries. Based upon past patterns until this issue, the Dec issue should be here in a day or two. Based upon the delivery of the Nov issue, I probably should not expect delivery until after the New Year!

Just to let you in the UK know that when you complain of the Dec issue not arriving until the start of Nov that you do not have my sympathy!
Tom

Also to just let everybody know that it seems even more difficult to send the mag over to Germany. I still haven´t got the December issue. About two weeks ago I tried to call their hotline, but was on hold for hours. I then tried the phoneline for sub renewals - the lady there tried to be helpful and gave me another nr. There it was promised that they will send another issue which will reach me in 7-10 days, well, it never arrived.
Three days ago I send an email - I got a generated answer mail with some nr. on it and the words that it will be answered as soon as possible- and that was that...
I am really deeply disappointed - the magazine really got better and better over the last few issues, but I will definitely not renew my subscription if it continues like that.

#2306 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:54

Keep up the good work MotorSport, great articles on Jim Clark's 1st race in an DKW and a superb review of the Porsche week-end in Daytona.Superb pictures again, especially the "Parting Shot" of Jody Scheckter and Ronnie Peterson at Kyalami. The quality of the magazine is now both in the print and presentation, as well as the editorial.An object lesson for Autosport maybe?

#2307 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,753 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 16:52

My copy of the January issue arrived yesterday (30th November). So far, have only read the Simon Taylor "Lunch with Gordon Murray" and Marcus Pye Classic F3 track test articles, both of which are splendid. Marcus' article is an object lesson to lesser mortals on how a track test should be written. It doesn't half help that the writer can conduct a racing car at racing pace, that way he can do the cars justice and, also, he has an exemplary knowledge of the category's history - let's hope that he will be given more column inches in future issues. Other journalists take note. Track tests shouldn't be an ego trip - If you are "off the pace", don't bother us with your attempt at one.

#2308 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 21:32

Originally posted by Alan Cox
My copy of the January issue arrived yesterday (30th November). ................

January !!?!?!?
And I JUST got November!

#2309 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 17:30

January !!?!?!?
And I JUST got November!

i thinq that in north america its better to buy them in stores, december issue is out in stores in Montreal, i should add that im fed up of modern f1 on cover too .especially when its a bad overexposed and badly sample picture like on this december issue. and about the november issue the scandal wasnt the maclaren/ferrari "espionage" affair but the "filling" of the magazine with the so call affair .that was twentysome good pages lost for good .if they have nothing to say (or write) they could do a phone call to let say LAT and put some good photos instead

#2310 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 20:22

Originally posted by philippe charuest
and about the november issue the scandal wasnt the maclaren/ferrari "espionage" affair but the "filling" of the magazine with the so call affair .that was twentysome good pages lost for good .

Agreed.

Also, I don't mind the modern covers so much...I guess they do that to help with newsstand sales.

I agree with others, though, that subscriber delivery in the US is atrocious and "customer service" is an oxymoron.

Jack

#2311 BarryD

BarryD

• 51 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 17:00

Originally posted by john aston
Only thing that irritates- Mr Dutton's increasingly bizarre ramblings in his advertisements- is he on some form of medication ?

You lot ramble on here endlessly.
Tim rambles on in Motorsport.

Want to ban everybody ?

Barry D.

...and don't rell me you don't ever go off-piste.

#2312 john aston

john aston

• 844 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 17:30

My dear chap - the fact that someone irritates me doesn't mean I want to ban him.(The only bans I approve of are traction control and other gizmos)A far worse crime is to be boring- so I would rather read reams of Mr Dutton's curious rants than some anodyne account full of facts and devoid of opinion.It's just that whilst we all venture off piste Mr D can sometimes leave the mountain altogether and usually end up somewhere a little too right wing for this pinko liberal.As does Mr Roebuck of course, excellent journalist that he can be.

#2313 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 19:13

January !!?!?!?
And I JUST got November!

My good friend Tom,

This is why I have just given up. I just stop at the local Borders and if it is on the shelf, I skim it and either put it back or buy it. I am sorry you are having such a tough time of it because I have felt that same pain as well. I hope it gets better. You and the others certainly deserve better treatment than this.

Don

#2314 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:04

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

My good friend Tom,

This is why I have just given up. I just stop at the local Borders and if it is on the shelf, I skim it and either put it back or buy it. I am sorry you are having such a tough time of it because I have felt that same pain as well. I hope it gets better. You and the others certainly deserve better treatment than this.

Don

Thanks for the kind words, Don. But I have another year and a half invested in this subscription, so I may well have to get used to delivery being two months late. My gosh, I hope that it does not get worse! The only good thing is that this magazine is not time sensitive so it reads just as well two months late.
Tom

#2315 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 13:56

Not only do we have Nigel Roebuck as Editor in Chief, but Damien Smith has had no difficulty accepting the post of Editor with immediate effect, both appointments greeted with delight, I gather, by the Motor Sport staff. Congratulations to all concerned. I suspect that there will be new ideas for content to expand the interest across their readership.
As I have suggested previously, if you have worthwhile feedback, then let them know, but please do not simply moan, since it is counter-productive as well as ill-mannered IMHO. The magazine is a commercial undertaking now owned , I understand, by an arch-enthusiast who wants it to be right and is in it for the long haul.
Usual disclaimers
Roger Lund

#2316 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,105 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 14:08

Bravo Roger! :up:

#2317 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:46

MS arrived early this month....I get to read it over Xmas :up: Not looked at it yet, but on the address sheet is an overview from NR,the new Editor in Chief, it sounds good for the future of the magazine, MN and Autosport have been lost on this enthusiast, MS was the 1st motoring journal that I enjoyed as a bright eyed 10 year old, it will also be my saviour into old age!!!!

#2318 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:52

Like Sterling49, mine arrived this morning and I have only had time to browse through it. But, the scope and breadth of the contents look very good indeed. Mindful of their commercial remit, and their undoubted awareness of the current, past and potential readership, it would seem to do the right job and do it well, IMHO. Very well done.

As an important aside, whilst credit is given in the issue to A Frankel for the job he did, I think it only right and fair that proper recognition is given to Gordon Cruickshank for the job which he has done holding it all together throughout the vagaries and vicissitudes of the past 18 months of MSport.
Usual disclaimers
Roger Lund.

#2319 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 15:07

MS is now vastly improved and a far cry from the magazine of a couple of years that seemed infested with the Haymarket disease of top driver/drives/car lists that this thread highlighted.

Perhaps we can collectively claim some credit for the improvement?

Advertisement

#2320 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 16:25

Is it going to be worth re-subscribing? I have to subscribe because it never shows up in les Presses in France.

#2321 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 16:41

Originally posted by PRD
MS is now vastly improved and a far cry from the magazine of a couple of years that seemed infested with the Haymarket disease of top driver/drives/car lists that this thread highlighted.

Perhaps we can collectively claim some credit for the improvement?

well, if we can , here's another wish:

in his heyday Jenks used to write his 'reflections on the (insert venue) GP' which for me were as entertaining and insightful as his race reports. with NSR planning to be at a number of races next year, but wih the weeklies and the net making an end of month 'race report' superflous, is it possible that we might have something of the same from Nigel? i would think that this sort of area is very much his forte.

peter

#2322 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 21:35

I would love to see Nigel doing that sort of column!

"Reflections" and, later, "The Fifth Column" were required reading in our house and, as you say, often as entertaining as the actual race report. Sometime, more so.

Lin

#2323 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 00:39

Originally posted by Sharman
Is it going to be worth re-subscribing? I have to subscribe because it never shows up in les Presses in France.

If you're in or close to Paris you can find it at WH Smith (at a ridiculous price though, something like €8.90 an issue)

#2324 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:35

Merci Jean-Christophe mais je suis domicile en France profonde (11)

#2325 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 14:44

Originally posted by vashlin
I would love to see Nigel doing that sort of column!

"Reflections" and, later, "The Fifth Column" were required reading in our house and, as you say, often as entertaining as the actual race report. Sometime, more so.

Lin

indeed! one problem though - i also used to lap up 'Notes on the Cars' - i cant see Nigel getting too far into that, or infact anyone having the access to write it. guess i'll have to keep looking at the Tech reviews on the web.

now what i would love to see would be the modern equivalent of Jenks 'Trends in Racing Car Design', which he used to do every coule of years of so - and then stopped, anyone know why (Doug?).

peter

ps - linda - many thanks for the outstanding pictures you've posted from my favourite era!

#2326 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 00:03

Yes - another good issue. There seems to be a statement of intent that they are going to cover the modern scene a bit more and move away from the pure historic theme adopted over the past decade. In a way, I don't mind this as long as the coverage of the current scene is good quality and not sycophantic.
Based on what I've seen so far, I am hopeful that this will indeed be the case.

#2327 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:13

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
Yes - another good issue. There seems to be a statement of intent that they are going to cover the modern scene a bit more and move away from the pure historic theme adopted over the past decade. In a way, I don't mind this as long as the coverage of the current scene is good quality and not sycophantic.
Based on what I've seen so far, I am hopeful that this will indeed be the case.

Hopefully, as it is a monthly opus, they will not concentrate on reportage but go for analysis and comment otherwise they will be wasting space with out-of-date news!

#2328 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 100 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 00:31

I believe that a recent issue of Motor Sport had an excellent article on Roy Salvadori, could someone tell me what month it was in?
Thanks,
Jeff Weinbren. :confused:

#2329 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,105 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 00:55

Are you perhaps referring to Rob Widdows' article in Vol 83 No 12 in which Salvadori speaks about Brabham as a team mate?

#2330 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 00:57

Have just won 9 issues from 1969 on eBay for less than 6 quid ( slightly more than the 2 shillings each they went for at the time !! ) and thoroughly looking forward to reading them. :clap:

#2331 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:23

Originally posted by Vanwall
Are you perhaps referring to Rob Widdows' article in Vol 83 No 12 in which Salvadori speaks about Brabham as a team mate?

Is it possible for somene to provide the gist of what Salvadori said about Brabham?

#2332 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 133 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:10

Originally posted by sandy

Is it possible for somene to provide the gist of what Salvadori said about Brabham?

All very positive and with a lot of obvious admiration: "...Jack was a marvellous driver, and tough--really, really, tough...he was quick...always consistent, and he took no prisoners...his car control...was amazing, he was always sideways..." and so forth.

#2333 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:32

You will find "Lunch with Roy Salvadori" in the currently available issue of Motor Sport, cover-dated February 2008. It should remain on the UK bookstalls until the March issue arrives on or around February 1st.

I spent a memorable day with Roy and Sue in their Monte Carlo apartment, and he was a delight, full of wry stories and self-deprecating humour which I hope I managed to translate onto the page - Motor Sport allowed me over 5000 words, bless 'em. Roy is extraordinarily fit and sharp for 85 years of age.

Next up: Lunch with Frank Gardner, whom I was lucky enough to visit last month at his home near Surfers' Paradise. Inevitably a couple of his most poilticially incorrect asides had to be left out, but some of his comments were still enough to make the new editor laugh aloud several times when I handed in my copy.

#2334 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:54

Originally posted by Simon Taylor
You will find "Lunch with Roy Salvadori" in the currently available issue of Motor Sport, cover-dated February 2008. .......- Motor Sport allowed me over 5000 words, bless 'em. Roy is extraordinarily fit and sharp for 85 years of age.... Next up: Lunch with Frank Gardner,

What a delight it is to have articles of that length for such interviews. It is a far cry from the miserly barely 1,000 words which MS allowed for the first one with Max Moseley - my views were made clear at the time. Perhaps the appeal or effectiveness of such an interview concept was not grasped fully when the first articles were commissioned. I suspect that readers may have had more of an understanding of Max and his viewpoints had the interview been printed with 5,000 words. I prefer to see it all as an indication of the huge progress which MS has made, largely I suspect due to the efforts and commitment of GC and a very small team, via troubled and uncertain times, towards a clear direction and position for the magazine, which will continue now under NSR and DS as well.
Roger Lund

#2335 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:41

Originally posted by bradbury west
I suspect that readers may have had more of an understanding of Max and his viewpoints had the interview been printed with 5,000 words.

5000 words of Max telling us why we're wrong for liking proper racing sounds like something that'd cause the average MS reader off in search of WB fearlessly enumerating the results of Short Handicaps at Brooklands.

5000 words of Max telling us about all the dodgy deals at March, on the other hand, well that might be fun. Pity he became The Enemy.

#2336 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:50

Originally posted by petefenelon

5000 words of Max telling us why we're wrong for liking proper racing sounds like something that'd cause the average MS reader off in search of WB fearlessly enumerating the results of Short Handicaps at Brooklands.

5000 words of Max telling us about all the dodgy deals at March, on the other hand, well that might be fun. Pity he became The Enemy.

Bravo! Nail on head totally :clap:

#2337 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:15

Moseley would spend the whole 5000 words on telling why the deals were not at all dodgy and it was actually March's customers who were in the wrong.

#2338 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:20

Originally posted by jph
Moseley would spend the whole 5000 words on telling why the deals were not at all dodgy and it was actually March's customers who were in the wrong.

Which would at least be amusing; Mosley on the current pathetic state of the alleged 'pinnacle' of the sport (he's wrong anyway; it's Le Mans) would merely be profoundly depressing.

#2339 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:14

The clearly subjective views about MM simply reinforce my view that 5000 words would have been better for everyone, although I suspect some people would never find time or space to stable their hobby-horses.
Usual disclaimers
Roger Lund.

Advertisement

#2340 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 874 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 20:52

Mark Hughes recounts a nightmare he had in his column in this weeks Autosport and as a result manages to sum up everything that is wrong with F1 and the governing body. It might be low on word count but it says it all and is one of the best articles he's written.

David

#2341 Hse289

Hse289

• 605 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 16:12

Simon, i thoroughly enjoyed the Roy Salvadori interview and have met him and asked for his autograph. I like to collect autographs of racing drivers who raced Cobras back in the day.
Looking forward to the Frank Gardner one too. :up:

#2342 Ben H

Ben H

• 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 20:01

Hi there, I am Ben, am new to posting to this posting on TNF business but here goes!

I started reading Motor Sport back in 1991 when i was probably far too young, and loved it, i sometimes dig out the first issue i got- it was post the Italian Grand Prix, and you had race reports and columns by Denis Jenkinson and a range of long, wordy features. I was amazed to read on here it had gone downhill in the 1990's i can only puzzle at how good it was before!! Unfortunately i lived in Northern Ireland then and for some bizarre reason Motor Sport disappeared from the shops in about 1992, so i had to make do with Autosport(where i got addicted to Fifth Column) and Motoring News, my favorite (some of the stories in just the news section would be like a university essay, all the text, it was sensational!) Naturally i was massively disappointed when both went downhill, and the relaunched Motor Sport(which reappeared in the shops!) seemed nice, but focusing on just the history of the sport seemed like it was tying one hand behind it's back compared to before, and it always threw me being quite young if they included something i remembered- history?!

Anyway i digress, i went through an ignominous period of reading Roebuck's column in the shop refusing to pay for Autosport, so im glad hes left! When i heard he was leaving i thought this must be it hes retiring so i ferreted around on the Internet for information and was lucky to find this forum, it's certainly a cut above most! Seeing the good reports about Motor Sport, and with Roebuck joining them, i started trying it again and now i am a subsciber, and am completely sold on it! The new issue came through the post this morning, and it's just brilliant! They have now officially given Roebuck a column, but it's not his usual Autosport one page, not two pages, but...eight!!Fantastic! They have pulled off a bit of a coup by installing Gordon Kirby as US Editor- remember him from Autosport- and even have an article by Joe Saward on the WMSC, who i enjoy reading on grand prix.com and grand prix +..And the good thing about subscribing to Motor Sport and reading this forum is i take more of an interest in the historic stuff now, stuff like the lunch with Frank Gardner looks like a great read...it'il take me ages to get through the magazine! I think it's great what they are doing with the magazine, big long considered articles, great presentation, completely appropriate to the age of the internet if you ask me, and i really hope they succeed with it they are obviously putting in a massive effort...

Ironically considering some of the comments on the Autosport thread, im 23, love Playstation, Facebook, getting bladdered on alcopops way too often, and if it's not a good book or magazine generally have no attention span for anything(except test cricket bizarrely..)! So Autosport's targeting a younger demographic or whatever on earth their up too kinda has passed me by...

Anyway sorry for the length and rambling nature of this post, but was insprired to register by how good this magazine has become! This is an excellent forum as well, i was a real sceptic of forums before i saw this! I'll post again if i have something useful or relevant to say, but given the amount of knowledge on this forum that probably won't be very often. Otherwise i'll just enjoy logging on and soaking up all the information i don't know about the history of the sport..keep up the good work!

#2343 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 23:26

Welcome Ben H, I am glad that one soo young finds inspiration in the pages of MotorSport, I read my 1st copies in the early '60's at a tender young age :blush:

I have posted many times on the contents of the magazine, but I have to say a resounding "Bravo" to MS for the latest copy, it arrived today (typical!.....as I was so busy, I have not had a chance to read it), but did glance through it and stole a few moments to read NR's lunch with Frank Gardner, just brilliant! His acerbic wit shines through, just as brightly as it did when on the winners rostrum all those years ago at Brands! If the rest of the mag is as good as this article, I will be a happy soldier! Well done MS, good to see NR on "the team". It also appears much thicker........ :up:

Sterling U.K.

#2344 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 23:39

23, 1991, you were reading motorsport at 6/7.... fair balls....

I thought I was a baby on this site at 31 :eek:

seriously us "whipper snappers" are lucky to see the likes of Roebuk cut free to express himself at MS, alongside the regular contributors and now Doug etc. Its BACK in my opinion, and I've taken a new 2 year sub last week, i just hope March gets here!!

I wonder though where I will get info in 20 years time, the primary source for 30s/40s racing is practically gone and we are losing 50s/60s drivers/mechanics/team owners at an escalating rate. I know its a morbid point but where are the writers of tomorrow to come from. Maybe MS could provide a column to potential writers/historians of a younger age with a chance to prove themselves, there is just no apprentiship route anymore.... I'd certainly try and send some copy.

same goes for the cars, I cannot imagine buying an historic touring car/formula junior never mind a GT car or Lemans racer or 3ltr F1 car.... who/where are the enthusiast owner drivers of the future. who can afford to run them... restore them, house them. will these fabulous machines disappear into "private collections" never to be seen agian... I pray not

#2345 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:52

:wave:
Welcome to TNF Ben. I very much enjoyed reading your post and it's really heartening to see someone of your age interested in the sport's history. Most 20 somethings I come in contact with (and I have a daughter your age!) seem to be less than interested in anything that occured before they were born.

Now, I can't wait to receive the latest copy. Takes longer in the states.

Nigel's column is eight pages long!! Fantastic!

Lin

#2346 alansart

alansart

• 4,058 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:56

This months is worth it for the Frank Gardner article alone.

It has increased in pages and fortunately it's not by sticking in more adverts.

#2347 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 15:06

Originally posted by green-blood
you were reading motorsport at 6/7

That is about the same age I was when I began reading Motor Sport, R&T, Autosport, Autocourse, and everything else I can get my hands on regarding automobile racing.....

Of course, that was well over three and a half decades prior to 1991....

#2348 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 15:25

I could hardly feed myself at 6.... in fact my wife would say I am still struggling to master that one!!! I could say "fewawri" though

#2349 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 19:16

Originally posted by sterling49
and stole a few moments to read NR's lunch with Frank Gardner, just brilliant!
Sterling U.K.

Brilliant, yes. But give TNFer Simon the credit...

#2350 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 20:55

Originally posted by David Beard

Brilliant, yes. But give TNFer Simon the credit...

Agreed David, but Frank is still probably one of the, if not the most "quotable" driver of all time, his post race interviews were to be awaited with great anticipation, similar to those of NGH. :clap: