'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2401 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 15:50

Okay, in view of kayemod's and David's posts, the other alternative would be that it's a promotion via a particular news wholesaler and thus only available in certain areas. Most likely WH Smith Wholesale, as Menzies don't have much of a presence outside Scotland: and as my supplies come from Dawson News, it presumably isn't them.

Advertisement

#2402 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 21:17

I bought the current (dated March 2008) issue last week at WH Smith in Stevenage, Herts. It came in a clear plastic envelope along with the booklet "HEROES by HEROES". Exactly the same booklet came with the February issue bought in the same branch of WH Smith a month or so ago. On each occasion the same magazine was on sale at Tesco, perhaps 200 metres away, without the "HEROES by HEROES" booklet.
The booklet does not come packaged with the magazine in Dieppe, but I haven't checked out WH Smith in the rue de Rivoli in Paris.

#2403 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:20

Originally posted by Kpy
I bought the current (dated March 2008) issue last week at WH Smith in Stevenage, Herts. It came in a clear plastic envelope along with the booklet "HEROES by HEROES". Exactly the same booklet came with the February issue bought in the same branch of WH Smith a month or so ago. On each occasion the same magazine was on sale at Tesco, perhaps 200 metres away, without the "HEROES by HEROES" booklet.
The booklet does not come packaged with the magazine in Dieppe, but I haven't checked out WH Smith in the rue de Rivoli in Paris.

I will use this information when I write to Motor Sport to complain. I don't think it is acceptable that subscribers should get overlooked!

:wave:

#2404 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 16:39

I am not a subscriber any more for 2 reasons : Poor contents and tricks ! It may have gotten better over the last 2 years , but the tricks appears still to be there.! Never again ! (If , I will ask one of you to buy it for me ) !

#2405 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 18:19

those gift and bonus are usualy for the UK people only so there no lost :) . on the other hand those good motosport people have finnally discover that the canadian dollars is now at par or so with the US kind. so imagine my suprise last month to see a price reduction from 13.95 to 9.99 canadian dollars yeeeaaahhh

#2406 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,616 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 21:57

Away from the current feelings posted about MS in recent times, there always seems to be a strong following for the magazine from years gone by. I have been sorting out duplicate, therefore surplus, Motor Sports from 1955 to 1992 accumulated over the years and I have a large number available, incl complete years, for those who may wish to extend their own collection , or to start collecting MS. I can send a full list to anyone interested.
Roger Lund

#2407 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 19:05

Just received my first “Ask Nigel “E-Mail from Motor Sport.

Interesting question on whether he though Depailler could have been World Champion in 1979, while the third question was tabled by non other than TNF regular Steve Wilkinson :)

Kind regards

Phil

#2408 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:19

Originally posted by Phil Rainford

Interesting question on whether he though Depailler could have been World Champion in 1979, while the third question was tabled by non other than TNF regular Steve Wilkinson :)

Kind regards

Phil

I thank you! I asked Niggle the question because I was intrigued by so many of his articles in Autosport where he referred to motor race meetings that I too had attended.

I am now off to think of another question that might stump him!

:wave:

#2409 Ben H

Ben H

• 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:36

They've spruced up the website a bit looks very nice, and there is now a few blogs by their contributors, including Gordon Kirby. From the magazine point of view this sounded encouraging! http://www.motorspor...1/gordons-blog/
It's all looking good!

With the e-mail did you register for that on the website or does it just go out to subscribers automatically? I can't see it lurking around in my inbox, even though i remember registering, and I subscribe!! i've registered again want to see these questions to Roebuck!

#2410 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 17:07

Originally posted by Ben H
With the e-mail did you register for that on the website or does it just go out to subscribers automatically? I can't see it lurking around in my inbox, even though i remember registering, and I subscribe!! i've registered again want to see these questions to Roebuck!

Same here, I registered also.

#2411 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 17:51

Originally posted by sterling49

Same here, I registered also.

Me too, but not a word from Nigel.

#2412 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,433 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 23:43

It's ABC time again, with mixed news for motoring and motor sport magazines.

After withdrawing from ABC during the change of ownership, Motor Sport is back. No figures were produced for 2006, but I can give a comparison with 2005 which I think we're all agreed was a bit of a nadir.

Worldwide the average monthly sale is up 11.1% from 27325 to 30362. UK/RoI sales are up 10.6% from 19115 to 21153 and foreign sales 12.2% from 8210 to 9209. The UK retail (non-subscription) sales are up 6.8% from 7302 to 7822.

Considering the fortunes of motoring magazines in general and Autosport and Motorsport News in particular over the past two years, I'd say that's a more than satisfactory set of numbers for the new editorial team to build on.

The following figures are all based on newsstand single copy sales.

The decline of Motorsport News continues, with a further drop of 10.9% to 15471. F1 Racing lost only 1.7%, selling 21840 but Autosport bucked the trend, with a 1.9% increase to 20847. The Hamilton factor seems to have worked for those two: last year they lost 7.9% and 12% respectively.

In general motoring magazines the inexorable rise of BBC Top Gear may have finally peaked, with a rise of just 1.1% to 123213. What Car? lost further ground, but the star was the old warhorse Autocar which put 10.3% on its circulation, reaching 38476, and has now almost caught up with the usurper Auto Express, which lost 2.6% to post 39584. Also worthy of mention - although it's something of a dead cat bounce - is Car, which gained 6.5% after a disastrous 2006.

Classic & Sports Car trod water with a modest 0.5% rise to 38193. Classic Cars added 1.7% to reach 23495 while Classic Car Weekly, reporting for the first time, posted 21817. Octane still hasn't broken through: overall retail sales are up 3.7% to 9387, but they're still giving nearly 4000 copies a month away for free.

The Barryboy titles were the overall biggest losers again. Redline lost 41% of its sales and Fast Car "overtook" Maxpower as market leader - but only by virtue of losing fewer readers! Maxpower dropped 34.9% to 43050, Fast Car 4.9% to 49703. Evo posted a small rise to 35173, thus overtaking Redline, which has declined to just 21843. As Fast Car and Redline are both owned by Future, I think I see either a closure or an amalgamation coming ....

#2413 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,616 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:12

Originally posted by bradbury west
[B]In this month's newsletter the VSCC draws to its members' attention that on February 22 Bill Boddy MBE, Founder Editor of Motor Sport magazine, will achieve his 95th birthday.

I am sure that all TNFers will join me in offering hearty congratulations to Bill Boddy today, as he reaches and celebrates his 95th birthday.

Roger Lund

#2414 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:41

Yes! Tremendous age for a tremendous man!! Here's for the next five!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#2415 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:00

Originally posted by Vitesse2
As Fast Car and Redline are both owned by Future, I think I see either a closure or an amalgamation coming ....

Like the old days reading The Victor. "Important news for readers inside!" = "we're closing another comic and sticking the best strip in here for a few weeks, until everyone forgets".

#2416 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,640 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:19

I am sure that all TNFers will join me in offering hearty congratulations to Bill Boddy today, as he reaches and celebrates his 95th birthday.

Roger Lund

Yes indeed. Happy Birthday, WB. :clap:

#2417 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:26

Roger Lund

As a Motor Sport reader (on and off) for the last 50 years, can I add my congratulations too.

#2418 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:29

If only some of the modern journos were as sharp in their 20s and 30s as WB is in his mid-nineties.... The man is a national treasure, and really should've been knighted a long time ago for services to motor sport (and Motor Sport).

#2419 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:57

Good Day Sirs

How I envy you so much :(

Here I am, 22 February, in Porto, Portugal, Europe, and this MotorSport subscriber, for around five years now, is still waiting for his March issue.....:(:(:(

I must resist the tentation to read it in the magazine shop in front of my house, were it is for more then onw week...
What a shame MS can't do something as simple as making sure that the magazine reaches his subscribers mailboxes before it reaches the shops :(

I am (again) very disapointed.

Yours
Neri Moreira

Advertisement

#2420 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 13:03

Interesting question on whether he though Depailler could have been World Champion in 1979

Phil

Can you please perhaps tell us what Roebuck had to say on this? I know that he was particularly fond of Depailler and never had anything bad to say of the Frenchman.

#2421 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 13:15

Originally posted by Hieronymus

Phil

Can you please perhaps tell us what Roebuck had to say on this? I know that he was particularly fond of Depailler and never had anything bad to say of the Frenchman.

I take back my earlier post, I've just had an e-mail from Nige on the subject of racism in racing, but I've missed earlier ones on Patrick Depailler etc. Is there any way of accessing older 'Ask Nigels' on the Motor Sport site, I fumbled around for a while but couldn't find anything. It used to be possible to find all of his older stuff on the Autosport site, not just that week's offering, surely Motor Sport will be doing the same.

#2422 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 13:45

http://www.motorspor...knigel-feb2008/

Follow this link to view it as a web page. :wave:

#2423 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,134 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 14:08

Originally posted by petefenelon
If only some of the modern journos were as sharp in their 20s and 30s as WB is in his mid-nineties.... The man is a national treasure, and really should've been knighted a long time ago for services to motor sport (and Motor Sport).

Indeed. H.B., W.B.

#2424 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 14:19

Originally posted by Hieronymus

Phil

The fact that Nigel Roebuck rated Depailler is without doubt. However he felt due to the development made by Ferrari and Williams in the second half of 1979 and conversely the lack of development made by Ligier over the same period would have meant that the Frenchman would not have been the 1979 World Champion.

Mind you Ligier's lack of development might well have been partly due to Depailler’s absence…..?

Kind regards

Phil

#2425 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 15:46

Originally posted by Vitesse2
It's ABC time again, with mixed news for motoring and motor sport magazines.

The Barryboy titles were the overall biggest losers again. Redline lost 41% of its sales and Fast Car "overtook" Maxpower as market leader - but only by virtue of losing fewer readers! Maxpower dropped 34.9% to 43050, Fast Car 4.9% to 49703. Evo posted a small rise to 35173, thus overtaking Redline, which has declined to just 21843. As Fast Car and Redline are both owned by Future, I think I see either a closure or an amalgamation coming ....

As a long time Evo subscriber I rather object to being referred to as a Barryboy :mad:

#2426 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 15:49

agreed

I can't be standing for EVO being tagged as a barryboy publication....

#2427 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 17:58

The fact that Nigel Roebuck rated Depailler is without doubt. However he felt due to the development made by Ferrari and Williams in the second half of 1979 and conversely the lack of development made by Ligier over the same period would have meant that the Frenchman would not have been the 1979 World Champion.

Mind you Ligier's lack of development might well have been partly due to Depailler’s absence…..?

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks Phil

All speculation in hindsight, but the absence of Depailler made an huge dent in Ligier's armour during the second half of 1979. Somewhere on a TNF thread the Depailler-Laffite duo at Ligier was already discussed with various opinions. Adriano Cimarosti was one journalist that firmly believed that Patrick would have been champion in 1979 if it was not for his accident. It took him a few years to become French F3 champion, the same happened in F2, so F1 champion honours was perhaps waiting...with a bit of luck, naturally.

#2428 JSF

JSF

• 676 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 20:39

I've bought the last few copies and really enjoyed them, then came accross this subscription deal, £3 for the first 3 copies with a 6 month subscription. http://www.subscript...m=1041&src=DT82

#2429 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 23:46

I received my April copy today, well done MS. An observation that I made........I wonder what other TNF members will think when they receive/buy theirs........

#2430 BerndRos

BerndRos

• 128 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 00:12

Having recently made a sweeping negative post re the mag , and having not missed an issue since 1969 ! , well I think maybe things are on the up , so much so that I HAVE CANCELLED MY AUTOSPORT SUBSCRIPTION and are going to go with M S as my only racing mag for the year and see what happens , hope they are able to have a bit more modern stuff and reports on Grand Prix ( wonder if they have a covanant with HAYMARKET NOT TOO ? ) How about sending N R on continental travels in a MORGAN AEROMAX !!

:smoking: :up: :up:

#2431 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,330 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:35

Originally posted by green-blood
agreed
I can't be standing for EVO being tagged as a barryboy publication....

Oh. come on... it's just for Barryboys who have more money.

#2432 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:27

Originally posted by 2F-001

Oh. come on... it's just for Barryboys who have more money.

I thought it was a typo and should have been Barry's Boys! ;)

The April issue arrived 'up North' yesterday afternoon & I have already started to devour the content. Judging by this issue Bernd's choice will be vindicated.

#2433 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:11

I speak as a reader of 50 years past

I remember WB's rants about the stupidity of flashing lights and the Un_British criminality of compulsory crash helmets and of Marples and Barbara Castle..et al and how we love VW..

But nothing could prepare a colonial reader for the crass stupidity and the shallow lets suck up to USA of the money grabbing mentality which currently pollutes the magazine,..it is a disgrace

It is crap and should die..

JUST LIKE JAGUAR

Stan Patterson
A reader since 1955

#2434 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:16

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
I speak as a reader of 50 years past

But nothing could prepare a colonial reader for the crass stupidity and the shallow lets suck up to USA of the money grabbing mentality which currently pollutes the magazine,..it is a disgrace

It is crap and should die..

JUST LIKE JAGUAR

Stan Patterson
A reader since 1955

Put a sock in it, Stan. You must be the only person on the planet who doesn't think that Motor Sport has improved in leaps and bounds over the past few months.

#2435 BerndRos

BerndRos

• 128 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:43

Stan , I have taken it for the last 40 years and NEVER missed a month !! While I would say that for the last years it was only bought by us oldies out of habit , and so would eventually die , I do think that it deserves one last attempt at revival , however it must have more 2008 racing in it to prosper . But it can never return to how we both remember it simply because with the T V , Internet , etc , its content when published is somewhat out of date . All this I think depends on what agreement the new owners reached With HAYMARKET about the scope of its coverage as they would not have wanted a threat to its other mags .

:smoking:

#2436 Ben H

Ben H

• 25 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 14:56

Personally i was totally appalled by this months edition it came thorough the post yesterday morning and i had 500 million things to do yesterday so i said to myself 'don't take it out of the wrapper you have no time', but when the front cover promises a Roebuck/JYS F1 Season preview, a Gordon Kirby interview with Roger Penske, lunch with Alan Jones...... you're fighting an uphill struggle not to touch it!

Seriously, got back home past midnight, and immediately started reading,loved it. Feature on the WRC looks very interesting as well and it's a fairly thick old mag now as well, makes a nice thud on the floor when i put it down! It's certainly going places...

#2437 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 15:27

Originally posted by ian senior

Put a sock in it, Stan.

Indeed.

And you have been warned already...

#2438 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 18:38

I think there are certain people that, as long as it featured a single mention of a U.S. driver that primarily raced on ovals, it's crap.

Never mind it being the 50th anniversary of the Daytona 500 or Daytona International Speedway and never mind that in the same issue there was a feature on the original Phillip Island course :rolleyes:

Aren't they sucking up to Australia in doing the latter?;)

#2439 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:11

that Motor Sport has improved in leaps and bounds over the past few months.

Yes, that may be so, but it has come so late, it has been taken out circulation with the Dutch newagents.
And.....I used to cycle 5 miles to get my copy !!!

Advertisement

#2440 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 23:18

Whether or not one agrees or disagrees with Stan's opinion -- and for The Record, I don't -- has this place become so intolerant of any dissent or anything not smacking of Groupthink that he is threatened with what I must assume is a recommendation for banishment?

No offense intended, but why don't y'all just ignore Stan and his rantings? Works for me. I am not defending Stan per se, only that he expressed a countervailing opinion calculated to raise hackles and people rose to the bait -- just as he knew they would. Personally, I have little use for Stan and his anti-American ravings and other rantings, but until he does anything other than rant and foam at the mouth, just ignore him and leave him him alone.

#2441 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 23:34

Don, I concur completely and definitely wasn't calling for his ouster.

Apart from his need to throw in utterly irrelevant asides (which strangely replicates the approach of one anti-auto racing "journalist" stateside, who will throw anti-racing remarks into discussions on cheese), he does have posts that are worthwhile.

#2442 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 795 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:53

Whether or not one agrees or disagrees with Stan's opinion -- and for The Record, I don't -- has this place become so intolerant of any dissent or anything not smacking of Groupthink that he is threatened with what I must assume is a recommendation for banishment?

Tolerance? Crikey, not on the internet please ;)

I agree with Don, whatever happened to just ignoring people who get up our noses? Starve them of oxygen, and the 'problem' (if that is what it really is) will largely disappear.

It would be nice if the person concerned could be a bit more constructive though - I am sure we all better appreciate well argued positions, even if we don't always agree with them :

#2443 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,743 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:13

I almost have to agree with Stans views but not his way of expressing it.
I subscribed for a lot of years and gave up about ten years ago. I have gotten a few issues over the years but the stories have always been a bit lacking in something, probably lacking about 500 words.

My opinion nowdays is that no matter how good it is I will never buy it again.
Having Nigel Roebuck does not thrill me at all. I know that it will eventually turn into January = Villeneuve, April = Andretti, September = Rosemeyer, etc. His stuff becomes so predictible.
I can easily live without it.

#2444 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 15:41

Put a sock in it, Stan. You must be the only person on the planet who doesn't think that Motor Sport has improved in leaps and bounds over the past few months.

While I may not agree with Stan, as I do not know what set him off; I finally subscribed early last year and when it runs out, I will not renew.

I feel it has gotten continually worse in content, or at least writing quality.

The asinine, BS laden, brown-nose article on NASCAR broke the camels back.
Bob

#2445 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 16:03

Groundhog day

#2446 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 17:44

Originally posted by Catalina Park
I almost have to agree with Stans views but not his way of expressing it.
I subscribed for a lot of years and gave up about ten years ago. I have gotten a few issues over the years but the stories have always been a bit lacking in something, probably lacking about 500 words.

My opinion nowdays is that no matter how good it is I will never buy it again.
Having Nigel Roebuck does not thrill me at all. I know that it will eventually turn into January = Villeneuve, April = Andretti, September = Rosemeyer, etc. His stuff becomes so predictible.
I can easily live without it.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID, ye who is not a blood-brother of the Mutual Admiration Society, they will hunt you down. :eek:

#2447 john aston

john aston

• 838 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:29

The words 'storm ' and 'teacup' spring to mind.If a reader doesn't like like Motor Sport - to the extent that you feel driven to post corrosive comments about how crap it is then ...umm... buy another title or sit with your back copies mumbling how fings ain't what they used to be.Well- here's news- they're not.Time to move on.
I have read MS for decades and it as good now - in a different way - as ever.To be honest the only thing I reread in old copies is DSJ diary and reports.Most of the rest was actually quite tedious I thought then and do now.But hey , chacun a son gout.
Loved the Alan Jones interview by the way.

#2448 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by john aston

It was brilliant, the 1st thing that I read, wonder who is lined up for next month????

#2449 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:01

Very happy with the new format however..........................................................

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THE "THE GALLERY" ALL ABOUT???????????

Hope its not going all Autosporty!!!!!!!!!

#2450 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:22

Originally posted by john aston
The words 'storm ' and 'teacup' spring to mind.If a reader doesn't like like Motor Sport - to the extent that you feel driven to post corrosive comments about how crap it is then ...umm... buy another title or sit with your back copies mumbling how fings ain't what they used to be.Well- here's news- they're not.Time to move on.
I have read MS for decades and it as good now - in a different way - as ever.To be honest the only thing I reread in old copies is DSJ diary and reports.Most of the rest was actually quite tedious I thought then and do now.But hey , chacun a son gout.

Better idea, if some posts bother you, don't read them.

Quite simple really, you can just march in-step with rest of the MAS, whilst chanting the Ren and Stimpy Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy song. :kiss:
You remember the words: Happy, Happy, Happy-Joy, Joy, Joy-Happy, Happy-Joy, Joy, Joy.... :smoking: