'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#201 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:28

Originally posted by ensign14
I had no complaints about the content, but it shows how difficult it is to get something fresh yet esoteric to the wider market.

You seem to have slightly missed my point, ens.
Sufficient numbers of people were happy enough with the content for both publications to have survived commercially to this day. The magazines failed for other reasons

Advertisement

#202 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,517 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:39

Originally posted by David McKinney

You seem to have slightly missed my point, ens.
Sufficient numbers of people were happy enough with the content for both publications to have survived commercially to this day. The magazines failed for other reasons

True, David. But the retail end of the magazine business has changed so much in the past ten years that today it would be infinitely harder to achieve even what they did, even ignoring the financial reasons which (IIRC) did for both..

#203 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:51

Granted - it would be virtually impossible to launch in today's climate

#204 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 18:44

Granted - it would be virtually impossible to launch in today's climate

Which means that other approaches have to be considered. This means that either revamping an existing magazine or going virtual are the serious courses of action (CoA) since CoA No. 1 "Launch something like Historic Race & Rally" is Dead On Arrival. CoA No. 2, "Revamp Motor Sport to be something more like Historic Race & Rally or Historic Racing -- or various other similar periodicals now past and maybe one in the present -- is one which seems very attractive and could be done, but questions arise as to whether there is any incentive to do so. CoA No. 3 is also attractive and could be done given some thought and planning as to the way is is offered and managed. However, it lacks the important aspect of being a tactile product. There is still a major problem with some elements not quite embracing the world of virtual journalism. However, there might be a shift among those in this group if there were a good reason to go virtual.

#205 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 19:59

Those people could always print off their virtual magazines before reading them :lol:

#206 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 20:44

Those people could always print off their virtual magazines before reading them :lol:

Why not?

What about a magazine that could be either viewed online, or downloaded as an Adobe Acrobat document?

I've no idea what costs would be involved (software licence, image rights, etc), but surely it's a possibility if someone really wanted to put the effort in.

#207 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 22:30

I don't recall anyone mentioning the French magazine "Automobile Historique" in this context -it has had its ups and downs in content over the last couple of years but seems to be on a stable track, at present.

It's an example of how to present articles of worthwhile length on drivers, individual races from history, type histories with chassis numbers - all the stuff English-speaking readers yearn for.

It sells for about the same as Motor Sport but with negligible advertising, and, I suspect, a pitiful (in English publishers terms) circulation. I realise it was well-funded, but the backers can't still be stumping up after all this time, surely.

I subscribed to the English translation supplement, but that was costly and folded after less than a year as they didn't have sufficient takers, so I get by with my faltering French. Oh, for an English equivalent!

#208 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 16:44

Originally posted by Shockabuku

Why not?

What about a magazine that could be either viewed online, or downloaded as an Adobe Acrobat document?

I've no idea what costs would be involved (software licence, image rights, etc), but surely it's a possibility if someone really wanted to put the effort in.

I picked up Motor Sport in Tesco last night, largely to have something to read in the checkout queue, and like a lot more on here wanted to hate it, but in fact found it a reasonable way to while away the evening, even if I don't see it staying out of the bin for too long.

Most of my thoughts on it are tinged by an appreciation that they've got to exist in a world of magazine publishing logic. The front cover is almost certainly driven by marketing imperatives, not always a good idea - I once worked on a mag which had to redesign its title into the top left hand corner - apparantly so people could spot it in WH Smith - looked appalling but didn't negatively affect sales, so maybe they had a point...

In terms of going online and pushing out a PDF, well, that's just a fanzine really more than a commercial proposition. It poses huge problems with what really pays for a magazine - ad sales revenue - as you lose control of where the content goes, you have no real idea of your demographic, and advertisers simply don't like advertising online. Autosport, for all their sins, seem to be having a decent go of it with their Olive reader version, but you're still in high cost arena of expensive page layout (and yes, even bad page layout costs) and potentially monumental software licensing. In short, I don't see much of a middle ground between TNF, various enthusiast web sites, and Motor Sport, flawed as it may be. I'm sure Bira and the owners of AtlasF1 must scratch their heads about profitability in the information supply world often enough...

Motor Sport as was is still sorely missed in my eyes, but then life and times both move on, and as it stands, red or otherwise, it'll still end up finding its way home with me. On reflection, better this than nothing eh?

#209 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 17:03

Strangely I think I could put the red and white issue in the recycle bin - but not the green ones. Completely irrational I know. There was something about the green ones which set them apart from other magazines - they were somewhere between books and magazines.

#210 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 17:29

Originally posted by smarjoram
Strangely I think I could put the red and white issue in the recycle bin - but not the green ones. Completely irrational I know. There was something about the green ones which set them apart from other magazines - they were somewhere between books and magazines.

That is a very good point, exactly what I thought as well.

#211 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 19:00

The relative tradition (for it wasn't always so) of the green cover somehow represented a direct kink with the past. A kind of lineage, if you like...

#212 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:36

I was in WHS in Bristol this morning - browsed the shelves and right at the back of the dingy bottom shelf I saw Motorsport just poking out from behind a copy of Kit 'Cars' or something. It always used to occupy a nice prominent position on the well lit middle shelf.

Might be nothing. But perhaps it doesn't exude the same quality to those stacking the shelves either.

#213 Spitfire

Spitfire

• 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 23:35

Originally posted by isynge

In terms of going online and pushing out a PDF, well, that's just a fanzine really more than a commercial proposition. It poses huge problems with what really pays for a magazine - ad sales revenue - as you lose control of where the content goes, you have no real idea of your demographic, and advertisers simply don't like advertising online. Autosport, for all their sins, seem to be having a decent go of it with their Olive reader version, but you're still in high cost arena of expensive page layout (and yes, even bad page layout costs) and potentially monumental software licensing. In short, I don't see much of a middle ground between TNF, various enthusiast web sites, and Motor Sport, flawed as it may be. I'm sure Bira and the owners of AtlasF1 must scratch their heads about profitability in the information supply world often enough...

My two cents on the issue regarding isynge's reservations on the electronic option:

1. Don't see how you lose control of ads. You put them on the pages just as before. Subscribers will download full page PDFs.
2. You don't lose control of demographics either. Sell by subscription, ask questions to subscribers. Same as paper. Communications between publisher and subscriber has the potential to be better than via mail, so obtaining even MORE information about your audience for your advertisers is possible.
3. Cost of software is a less than $500. Adobe Acrobat.
4. Layout costs are microscopic compared to pre-press, printing and distribution costs which are now gone.

Despite the understandable derisions against a web-based solution and the questionalbe "literature" they can produce, the e-solution can be made to work for the ultimate goals: editorial control; and creating a product that can be produced to a small audience for a profit.

Historic Racing, Historic Race & Rally, Supercar Classics, Vintage Motorsport (early) were all edited with passion for the sport, and a love for writing that brought it to life. Those magazines hold a holy place in my collection. There's nothing as fun as receiving your favorite magazine and seeing what's inside. But costs being what they are today, I'd hate to see so many great writers without an outlet.

#214 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:46

I was in WHS in Bristol this morning - browsed the shelves and right at the back of the dingy bottom shelf I saw Motorsport just poking out from behind a copy of Kit 'Cars' or something. It always used to occupy a nice prominent position on the well lit middle shelf.

Might be nothing. But perhaps it doesn't exude the same quality to those stacking the shelves either.

Not a question of that, I'm afraid. Everything in WHS is displayed to a plan: if that's where it was, that's where the plan said it should go ..... assuming they're doing their job properly!

#215 Bob21

Bob21

• 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:27

Growing up in the 1960s and in Wash. DC it was quite a big deal to snag a Motorsport at some downtown news stand. Many a school day was spent plotting how to pull this off and find a copy. I barely understood what was being written but it was prize nevertheless. Now? Let the current subscription expire, re-read the old issues, put all my DCN books on one shelf, and make TNF my home page. Bob

#216 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:33

I like it - it comes in the mail so whether it gets lost among the other mags in the shop is of no concern.

I prefer the green cover but I'm over it already.

There'd be a gap in my life if I let the sub lapse purely on an issue of the cover colour..

#217 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 17:17

Originally posted by Spitfire

My two cents on the issue regarding isynge's reservations on the electronic option:

1. Don't see how you lose control of ads. You put them on the pages just as before. Subscribers will download full page PDFs.
2. You don't lose control of demographics either. Sell by subscription, ask questions to subscribers. Same as paper. Communications between publisher and subscriber has the potential to be better than via mail, so obtaining even MORE information about your audience for your advertisers is possible.
3. Cost of software is a less than $500. Adobe Acrobat.
4. Layout costs are microscopic compared to pre-press, printing and distribution costs which are now gone.

Despite the understandable derisions against a web-based solution and the questionalbe "literature" they can produce, the e-solution can be made to work for the ultimate goals: editorial control; and creating a product that can be produced to a small audience for a profit.

Historic Racing, Historic Race & Rally, Supercar Classics, Vintage Motorsport (early) were all edited with passion for the sport, and a love for writing that brought it to life. Those magazines hold a holy place in my collection. There's nothing as fun as receiving your favorite magazine and seeing what's inside. But costs being what they are today, I'd hate to see so many great writers without an outlet.

I've just sent you a PM responding to this - I figured a discourse on publishing economics probably qualified as being monumentally off topic.

More on topic - I thought the Alboreto article in this month's Motor Sport was genuinely good. More like this and frankly they can do what they like with the cover.

#218 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:59

"FORD PULLS OUT OFF F1"

That is the lead story headline, exactly as written in the November issue.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Anyone know a good proof-reader?

#219 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:42

Ya gotta be kiddin'!

How low can it sink, really?

Advertisement

#220 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:46

20mm high bold caps...
:rotfl:

#221 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:55

Really? My copy hasn't arrived yet, that's shocking if true.
Don't think the sub is getting renewed, what next - Does Jens worth all these fuzz? :rolleyes:

#222 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 685 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:16

May be the proof reader deleted the 'GOV' off the end

#223 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:35

Well, it's no better than the previous issue , - still the vile tiny but BOLD type face all over the place, still the side bar nonesense, still the editor looks as if he has been sleeping rough, - there is a definite trend towards a 'Max Power' style - in the editorial it's suggested you "rock up " to Silverstone (whatever that means )

It's definitely now damaged goods, - this is SUCH a shame.

#224 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,128 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 14:29

Sorry,but though I complained as much as anyone about the loss of the green cover,the contents seem to be better to my taste. I am not bothered by the print face,but articles on Circuit des Remparts and Boulogne fabulous! Will not be cancelling my subscription yet.

#225 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 21:13

I've only had a rather cursory glance through the latest issue, and it seems a bit better, although there are still those flamin' pics butted up to each other which I really, really hate!

We've already heard about the fluctuating circulation figures of Motor Sport on this thread, but I've learned something about Autosport's recent figures in the last day or so.

When I was last full-time on the mag, in 1992, we were selling approximately 50,000 issues per week. Nowadays, I gather, it's now selling around 20,000. And the future of it's website, I understand, is by no means secure...

#226 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 21:48

Originally posted by Twin Window
When I was last full-time on the mag, in 1992, we were selling approximately 50,000 issues per week. Nowadays, I gather, it's now selling around 20,000. And the future of it's website, I understand, is by no means secure...

I can't say I'm surprised by Autosport's declining circulation. I gave up on it a few years ago, and when I occasionally browse through it in WH Smith these days I know that I'm not missing much.

I do suppose though that their circulation will always be better when there is a Mansell or a Hill winning races - "Button comes third again" won't get anyone rushing to the newsagent on Thursday morning.

Does anyone know what ITV's viewing figures have been like this year? Up or down? I may not be typical but I've watched fewer races this year than any year I can remember.

"Ford pulls out off F1" - dear, oh dear, that is appalling.

And isn't it a bit soon for a nostalgic look back at Jordan's 1999 season? It only seems like yesterday.

John

#227 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 21:52

Originally posted by JohnS

And isn't it a bit soon for a nostalgic look back at Jordan's 1999 season?

Indeed. And what does that tell us about their motives regarding the re-hash?

#228 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 21:57

The fact that they had 4 letters criticizing the cover change and none in favour suggests to me that either (a) they will change the colour back to green shortly or (b) someone somewhere has told someone to change it and that someone does not like it.

I am most disturbed by 2 articles written by someone called Heseltine. Any relation to the traitor? And if so is it turning into a family vanity project?

Nice article about Ian Stewart though by Eric Dymock. And a good one on Boulougne.

Incidentally, on the Autosport side I've just glanced through an issue with a letter complaining about the lack of F1 coverage. It is from 1951...

I figured a discourse on publishing economics probably qualified as being monumentally off topic.

I disagree - I think it is most germane to the subject, if only to understand the motivation for such a change.

#229 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 22:01

Originally posted by JohnS

Does anyone know what ITV's viewing figures have been like this year? Up or down? I may not be typical but I've watched fewer races this year than any year I can remember.

John

I stopped watching qualifying all the time when it went to single car, and completely when it went to this year's farcical system. I stopped watching all the races live about the time Hakkinen retired (the last man who could make a consistent challenge to Schumacher/Ferrari), but at least I watched the ones I taped. and this year I haven't even bothered taping the ones I've been out of the house or otherwise occupied for. For the past few years I used to watch GPs with a group of friends, but I've found myself so negatively-disposed towards modern F1 that i can't even be bothered going out or having people round for the social side of it. If I'm in on a Sunday afternoon, then the race will be on TV - the sound will be down, and depending on how interested I am, I might use BBC 5Live for commentary, or just leave music on. James Allen is too much for me....

And yes, I stopped reading Autosport this year.

Put bluntly, Autosport is a modern F1 magazine and I have no interest in the bullsh*t that modern F1 has built up around itself. Tilke/Mosley/Ecclestone/Manufacturer/Tobacco/Tyrewar F1 is just a pain in the behind and I can't see myself getting interested again until most of those elements have gone.

#230 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 22:06

Originally posted by petefenelon
I have no interest in the bullsh*t that modern F1 has built up around itself. Tilke/Mosley/Ecclestone/Manufacturer/Tobacco/Tyrewar F1 is just a pain in the behind and I can't see myself getting interested again until most of those elements have gone.

Amen to that.

John

#231 bira

bira

• 13,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 22:28

Originally posted by Twin Window

Actually, the circulation numbers of Autosport are 45,000 per issue (the magazine is audited by ABC - search for Autosport and you'll see their certificate.)

#232 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 23:17

Originally posted by bira

Actually, the circulation numbers of Autosport are 45,000 per issue (the magazine is audited by ABC - search for Autosport and you'll see their certificate.)

45000 is the current headline figure, including all subscription copies (UK and export), foreign newsstand sales, freebies etc.

What I suspect Stuart might have been referring to is the UK newsstand figure, which is the one publishers like to trumpet: on the current audit (Jan-Dec 2003) that figure is 26888, roughly half of his 1992 number .... :

#233 bira

bira

• 13,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 23:23

Originally posted by Vitesse2

45000 is the current headline figure, including all subscription copies (UK and export), foreign newsstand sales, freebies etc.

What I suspect Stuart might have been referring to is the UK newsstand figure, which is the one publishers like to trumpet: on the current audit (Jan-Dec 2003) that figure is 26888, roughly half of his 1992 number .... :

Autosport never had more than a total of 65,000 per issue - that was the most they ever had.

#234 condor

condor

• 11,301 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 00:12

I got my first ever own copy of Motorsport to-day :) Having searched the newsstands a few days ago without success...a friend sent me one :) I've only managed to read one article so far and flipped through the rest.

Wonderful potted biography of fellow TNFer Ian Stewart:) ...who's also my favorite ex-racing driver ...and major influence in me now reading about the old racing days :)

A particular sentence stuck in my mind all day to-day :)

Quote " Dark and dashing Perthshire farmer I.M.M.Stewart was the best driver Scotland would produce until Jim Clark"

Jane Austen's Darcy immediately sprang to mind :lol:
Posted Image

#235 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

• 252 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 00:26

Oh Ha Ha !!

You're just jealous of my vintage drip-dry shirt...

:blush:

#236 condor

condor

• 11,301 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 00:38

Swoon :lol:

:rotfl:

#237 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 00:40

Originally posted by condor

Quote " Dark and dashing Perthshire farmer I.M.M.Stewart was the best driver Scotland would produce until Jim Clark"

"Dark and dashing" indeed!!!! :rotfl:

Oooh, its going to be a long time before you live this down!!! :up:

#238 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 00:45

Got my Motor Sport copy two weeks ago and only read it tonight... I'm really deceived about the new lay-out which I would describe a bit messy and not clear to go thru. I understand they wanted to get more contemporary but this isn't even a nice DTP job.
Glad my subscription came with "Archie and the Listers" book... which I enjoyed much more!

And I didn't really like the comparison with Lotus's Golden Leaf but I wasn't there in the sixties and I don't know how my reaction would have been then.

#239 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:49

ABC's gross total circulation figure for 'Autosport' of 45000 is for period ending 2003. Judging by the number of people I have spoken to who were long standing readers who have angryly packed it in during 2004, it would be no surprise if say the average weekly sales over say just the last month had really stepped off a cliff, and it will be a further 6 months or so until the present position is made known publically . Stuart's ear to the ground might well be close to the mark.

Haymarket's idea of 'modernisation' of these two titles are I feel sure shooting themselves in both feet. Coupled with two editor's both in denial about the state of spectator satisfaction in contempory motor sport and the quality of their own publications. Perhaps they should change the name from Haymarket to Kanute.

Advertisement

#240 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:42

I have to say that as much as I dislike the masthead change for Motor Sport, I think that the last couple of issues have shown some improvement. We are never going to get back to the days when Bill Boddy & Jenks wrote the thing themselves, but whether it can carve a distinct niche for itself remains to be seen.

I thought the merger of Performance Car into Car was a mistake at the time and judging by the rise of Evo I wasn't the only one. Evo is the only modern magazine that I take now. I can't be bothered with Car or Top Gear , and not the weeklies although Steve Cropley's column in Autocar is worth a read in WH Smiths

As for Autosport- some of the latest offerings have been dire- the top 10 smashes and the ridiculous article in which rival drivers discussed who would help nerfe off either Thompson or Muller to decide the winner of the BTCC title- were both more worthy of Max Power. On the other hand ( and declaring an interest here) my brother-in-law's EERC Britcar series had a whole Marcus Pye column devoted to it this week and the Britcar races have been well covered this year so it hasn't lost it all yet. Autosport have hitched themselves so tightly to the current F1 scene that as that waxes and wanes in fashion and popularity so will the magazine. If Jenson Button starts winning races only then will it pick up to Mansellmania heights of circulation

Regards

Paul

#241 hhh

hhh

• 156 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 13:03

Is nothing sacred anymore?

The red cover is disgusting!

Of all the magazines Motor Sport was so far the only one that didn't turn into a glossy Exchange&Market like Classic Cars or C&SC.
On top of that the Green cover stands out from all the loud covers of everything else; sophisticated, traditional, well balanced lay-out.

Mr Editor please give us back the "real" Motor Sport, with even more Classic racing reports and lots of history.
Do not fall in the trap of the auction houses "advertising" their cars in articles.

#242 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:54

Originally posted by PRD

I thought the merger of Performance Car into Car was a mistake at the time and judging by the rise of Evo I wasn't the only one. Evo is the only modern magazine that I take now. I can't be bothered with Car or Top Gear , and not the weeklies although Steve Cropley's column in Autocar is worth a read in WH Smiths

Paul

I don't normally read Evo but they've put out a special supercars compilation that transcends the usual schoolboy drool on the subject - 250+ pages, no ads, and lots of good words and pictures. Worth taking a look at - if that's the usual standard of their writing and photography it's a literate, amusing, and insightful magazine that's well-designed. No idea how much of the monthly version is like that and how much is soup-tin exhausts for your Scooby, mind.;)

#243 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:26

Originally posted by petefenelon

I don't normally read Evo but they've put out a special supercars compilation that transcends the usual schoolboy drool on the subject - 250+ pages, no ads, and lots of good words and pictures. Worth taking a look at - if that's the usual standard of their writing and photography it's a literate, amusing, and insightful magazine that's well-designed. No idea how much of the monthly version is like that and how much is soup-tin exhausts for your Scooby, mind.;)

I've had a look at that-its a compilation of at least some of their articles and I would say is pretty typical of their output

Paul

#244 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 13:01

Originally posted by PRD

I've had a look at that-its a compilation of at least some of their articles and I would say is pretty typical of their output

Paul

In which case I'd say it's a worthy contemporary competitor to C&SC.

#245 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 13:28

Originally posted by Mark Bennett
"FORD PULLS OUT OFF F1"

That is the lead story headline, exactly as written in the November issue.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Anyone know a good proof-reader?

Your joking! I wouldn't of thought they'd be making speling mistake's like that! What on erth have thing's come too? Its enough to make you crinj! :cool:

#246 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 13:37

Having finally seen the "NEW" MotorSport, I was hit by a quote by the "bard" himself,

"Much ado about nothing!!"

The look of the mag has changed, but not to the extreme that one would expect reading the endless posts concerning fonts and layout and all other sundry items.

It's basicly the same MotorSport that has been around for years.

............and I have been reading the mag since the 60's, when one could get it in the USA.

The pics and the articles in the October issue were very well done and had the usual effect of my wanting to learn more.

We have a saying here in the States and I'm sure you have one where you live and play,

"Same stuff, different day!"

...........and that's been MotorSport for as long as I can remember!

#247 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 14:32

What's going on with the Lancia in the bottom right corner of page 57? It looks like it's been cut out and pasted onto a different background?

Also, I haven't got an earlier copy to hand but does the printing look poorer quality to anybody else? They seem quite grainy and the blues/greens are a bit off - particularly in the ads at the back. Perhaps I just got a dud one - or I'm looking for faults because I don't like the changes.

#248 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 23:03

I really like how Evo articles are written, much more different than french car magazines. The writing style in Octane magazine is nice too, I think.

#249 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 14:36

Do I like the changes to Motor Sport..no.........am I going to cancel my subscription........er, no.

Having never seen the fellow drive I'm certainly not in a position to disagree with Eric Dymock's comment that Ian Stewart was the best driver that Scotland would produce until Jim Clark. Mr Dymock also comments that Stewart's only rival for that accolade was his namesake Jimmy Stewart. Surely this is a bit hard on the likes of Ireland, Flockhart and Scott-Brown?

#250 condor

condor

• 11,301 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 20:05

Originally posted by KJJ
Surely this is a bit hard on the likes of Ireland, Flockhart and Scott-Brown?

I don't think so.