'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2451 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:36

Originally posted by Catalina Park
My opinion nowdays is that no matter how good it is I will never buy it again.

Boy, that will sure show them! :mad:

Advertisement

#2452 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,687 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:58

Originally posted by RA Historian
Boy, that will sure show them! :mad:

I hope so! :cool: Do you think I care if the magazine lives or dies? They have had plenty of chances but I have given up.
There is much better, more detailed stuff on this forum than I will ever find in MotorSport.

#2453 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,684 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:14

Originally posted by Thundersport
Very happy with the new format however..........................................................

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THE "THE GALLERY" ALL ABOUT???????????

Hope its not going all Autosporty!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would have binned some of those pictures they are awful!

Mind you my idea of art does not include an unmade bed & a pile of hous bricks!

However the you were there photos made up for it!

I have been saving the Alan Jones interview for today when I can read and reread at leisure. :wave:

#2454 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 13:19

Amidst all the praise for Messrs Roebuck and Taylor, it might be worth mentioning how good Doug Nye's column is. For me, it's always the first article to read. This month's is well up to standard; it's just a pity that the picture of the 1956 Italian Grand Prix is printed so small that my tired old eyes can hardly appreciate it!

#2455 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by Roger Clark
[B]Amidst all the praise for Messrs Roebuck and Taylor, it might be worth mentioning how good Doug Nye's column is.

Endorsing wholly what Roger Clarks says, remembering well the Skulduggery columns of yore, plus welcoming NSR's pal GK as a regular, it continues to mystify me why the powers-that-be at MS do not capitalise more, much more, on DCN's vast knowledge and archives, with good, long, historically and factually accurate articles of consequence such as we have seen over the years.
We had recently the quality piece on the Dino, albeit with an odd, IMHO, choice of photos- dusty car etc- , but Doug has the knowledge and first-hand research material to produce articles very relevant to the period now regarded as historic, and specifically in keeping with the editorial policy and desired reader demographic of MS, as indeed does Graham Gauld, qv GG's comprehensive piece in Octane on TKF 9.
Knowing the lead times involved prior to magazine publication, I must assume that DCN was very busy with BRM 3 and consolidating the Phil Hill photo history. Whilst I welcome Richard Hezeltine's seemingly ubiquitous articles, I am cautious about 1500 word "potboilers" on Art Arfons or a 288GTO, more CC or C&SC I suspect than "new" MS.
Usual disclaimers and no desire to embarrass DCN.
Roger Lund

#2456 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 15:40

Originally posted by bradbury west

I am cautious about 1500 word "potboilers" on Art Arfons Roger Lund

What was wrong with the Art Arfon's article, Roger? I enjoyed it.

I support the "more DCN" movement.

Simon Taylor's "lunch with" Alan Jones was super, and read first as always. Keke soon, I hope!

The modern F1 content is fine by me. Nice to read such material written by grown-ups, for grown-ups.

There is so much to read now that I struggle to get through it all before the next issue comes....so I don't bother with the Frankel modern road car features. Leaving those out of the mag is the only thing I would change. I can even put up with the "Gallery", especially if it were to concentrate on older cars...

#2457 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,684 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 16:11

Originally posted by David Beard
I don't bother with the Frankel modern road car features. Leaving those out of the mag is the only thing I would change. I can even put up with the "Gallery", especially if it were to concentrate on older cars...

Hear, hear! :wave:

#2458 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 18:41

Originally posted by David Beard

What was wrong with the Art Arfon's article, Roger? I enjoyed it.

I liked the Art Arfons article, what there was of it

IT totally missed the later cars he built, and the fact he was a major mover in Unlimited tractor pulling, for a start.

It was like writing an article on Mario Andretti and saying:--He won the Indianapolis 500 and later drove for Lotus-- and then stopping.
Woefully incomplete.
That is one of the major reasons, among others, I will not renew my subscription.
Bob
PS--I like the gallery but think it should be larger.

#2459 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 19:02

Originally posted by Stephen W

Hear, hear! :wave:

& me too !

Anyone else think the Goodyear cap on Ronnies head on page 19 was added sometime later - it looks rather odd

Advertisement

#2460 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 19:14

Originally posted by lil'chris

Anyone else think the Goodyear cap on Ronnies head on page 19 was added sometime later - it looks rather odd

It sits on his head at an angle, but otherwise I think it's ok, I remember similar photos in period and never thought anything odd about it then. Ronnie was such a modest guy, he was the same in later years, as when I 1st saw him in the Smog F3 car in the late '60's :up:

#2461 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,684 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:34

Originally posted by lil'chris

Back in those days if your sponsor handed you a cap you put it on - now the drivers have been trained to adjust the cap so it fits properly. I just think Ronnie couldn't be bothered with all the hype!

:wave:

#2462 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 452 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 17:35

As a reader for 50 years or so I like the new format. I would like to see more about current historic racing and rather less about American subjects, most of which have no interest for me.

With Nigel not being afraid to tell the truth about the dodgy goings on in F1 and the FIA in general, I am sure the readership numbers will rise.

#2463 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 20:34

I am a reader of MS and I enjoy DCN and the lunch chats the bests. The recent uptick in US subjects is fine as MS is expanding their readership. I learn things about racing in my country from that. Course TNF teaches me alot about Racing everywhere!

#2464 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 21:58

How many pages have we gone without an "I found this factual error in such-and-such article" post?

Something must be changing for the better. Are the articles so interesting that nobody notices the wobblers? Are the topics outside the area that TNF members know intimately? Are they employing research assistants with some appreciation of the sport's history? Or what?

Knowing my luck, having said that I expect I'll find the gremlins get at the next edition!

#2465 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 21:59

I like MotorSport, but there are entirely too many British stories!

tongue planted firmly in cheek ;)

Seriously, while I can appreciate "limited interests", I've always enjoyed reading and finding out more about drivers, tracks and racing from other parts of the World. I guess I'm simply not provincial.

I know quite well most of the stories about the U.S. drivers featured in MS, but I'm pleased to see them because I realize most people outside of the U.S. do not.

#2466 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 22:12

[i]Originally posted by Jim Thurman
Seriously, while I can appreciate "limited interests", I've always enjoyed reading and finding out more about drivers, tracks and racing from other parts of the World. ]

Jim, perhaps that is why I also enjoy Vintage Racecar, and why there is a strong, new-blood, interest in the Australian/NZ photo threads. New stuff from new places, but from "our" era. That is why I remain convinced that MS will keep on getting it right after all of their soul searching, plus we still get Bill Boddy for free, again a limited interest according to some earlier posts. That is what makes the Editorial/Publisher job so difficult.
Roger Lund.

#2467 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 00:44

Originally posted by ian senior

Put a sock in it, Stan. You must be the only person on the planet who doesn't think that Motor Sport has improved in leaps and bounds over the past few months.

Sort of Anorak Man.....but not nearly as interesting. Anorak Man for the 21st Century!

Jack.

#2468 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:53

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Whether or not one agrees or disagrees with Stan's opinion -- and for The Record, I don't -- has this place become so intolerant of any dissent or anything not smacking of Groupthink that he is threatened with what I must assume is a recommendation for banishment?

No offense intended, but why don't y'all just ignore Stan and his rantings? Works for me. I am not defending Stan per se, only that he expressed a countervailing opinion calculated to raise hackles and people rose to the bait -- just as he knew they would. Personally, I have little use for Stan and his anti-American ravings and other rantings, but until he does anything other than rant and foam at the mouth, just ignore him and leave him him alone.

Come on Don.

This place depends on folks being able to disagree without being disagreeable. Otherwise it'll just be Racing Comments for boring, whingeing, self-centered, rude old codgers.

And, yes, wedges do have thin ends.

#2469 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,684 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:29

Originally posted by Stephen W

I will use this information when I write to Motor Sport to complain. I don't think it is acceptable that subscribers should get overlooked!

:wave:

RESULT! Yesterday the HEROES by HEROES booklet dropped through the old letter box, well done Motor Sport & thank you it is a great nostalgic elbow-jogger!

:D

#2470 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:02

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

Sort of Anorak Man.....but not nearly as interesting. Anorak Man for the 21st Century!

Jack.

Anorak Man would be claiming it should be printed on bogroll with illustrations in felt-tip pen, feature Biblical quotes on every page and cost 25p.

For what it's worth, the April issue got me from Saltaire to York and back on the train. At its worst MS was barely taking me the 15 minutes from Saltaire to Leeds.;)

#2471 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:58

Originally posted by petefenelon

For what it's worth, the April issue got me from Saltaire to York and back on the train. At its worst MS was barely taking me the 15 minutes from Saltaire to Leeds.;)

We're back to the missing 'Heroes by Heroes' supplement, you seem to have been given a return train ticket with your April issue, where's mine I wonder?

#2472 weisler

weisler

• 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 17:51

I have to admit, MS is a favorite of mine, but I have only been reading the magazine for the last 3 or 4 years or so. I do like what they have done in the past couple of months, and I look forward to my renewed subscription. I'm very much glad the "red cover" days are over.

MotorSport for me is one of the best ways to read and learn about past era's of motor racing as I am just 23 years old, and unfortunately missed the golden age... It probably helps I have nothing to compare it to as well!

I am a bit disappointed that as of today, March 4th, I have yet to receive my March issue. But since I am located in the States, I've learned to deal with it! I can always come here and read about your opinions and know what I have to look forward to!

#2473 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by weisler
MotorSport for me is one of the best ways to read and learn about past era's of motor racing as I am just 23 years old, and unfortunately missed the golden age...

Welcome to nostalgia, obviously a young man with impeccably good taste and judgement :wave:

#2474 john aston

john aston

• 813 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 19:00

If you are 23 , Weisler , your golden age is now.By all means research the old stuff but remember you need to do the modern stuff now so you can bore the ass off everyone when you are my age ( a youthful 55 )about the good old days of Raikkonen and Montoya.

#2475 weisler

weisler

• 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 00:48

Thank you for the welcome. :)

Although I truly do feel, as I'm sure most of you all do as well, the golden eras have long past, I still enjoy modern motor sport. Granted, living in Indianapolis does help ;). I have to admit, with the recent evens in American open wheel racing, I'm VERY excited about this years Indy 500... And this is coming from someone who up until the last year or so was on the ChampCar side of the fence!

With regards to American motor sport in the magazine, I believe it should deserve some mention, but I have to admit I was not too excited to see Richard Petty on the cover as I am not a NASCAR fan... I do look forward to reading Gordon Kirby's contributions though. I really enjoy his work and am very glad to see him brought aboard. :clap:

#2476 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 14:15

Hello, Weisler.

Welcome to a fellow Hoosier. Was born and raised in Evansville myself and trips to the 500 lo these many years ago (60's) with my parents & sibs was the genesis of my interest in racing.

As to the booklet HEROES by HEROES, any chance that someone stateside could see it fall thru the letterbox? I'm guessing, probably not. Could someone please give a run down of heroes and their subject heroes so we can see what we're missing?

Lin :)

#2477 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 17:05

just asking, is it possible that for the december 2007 issue there was two different cover , one for the UK with the mug of the local hero (hamilton)on the cover, and another cover for the other country with a picture of two ferrari and two mclaren , wich could explain the relative quality of editing of the export version (picture too light or overexposed and the sampling a little off)

#2478 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 17:17

I am in something of a state of shock today - managed to get a complete run 1967-76 at a car-boot sale for a tenner :) :) :) :) :)

#2479 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 17:25

That's a good deal! However, courtesy of a friendly, fellow TNF member, I did considerably better than that! I am now enjoying re reading the events attended during the glorious years of my youth, currently 1967 and the BOAC 500 :up:

Advertisement

#2480 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:27

Originally posted by petefenelon
I am in something of a state of shock today - managed to get a complete run 1967-76 at a car-boot sale for a tenner :) :) :) :) :)

Good, although I got a complete run of 1937 to 1939, and then 1948 to 2000 for £100 ;)

#2481 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 14:42

I've got a load of 1950s and early 1960s ones, unfortunately the damp has got a few but still perfectly readable and a "nice" fragrance. :drunk:

I do occassionally get the new one and it does come up with some good articles, if not a bit long for my youthful attention span!!

#2482 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 14:45

In a similar vein, I've got a large number of 70's, late 60's, some 80's and a few 90's/00's Motor Sports that I would like to give to a good home (i.e. a TNFer :) )
These are "spares" that I've accumulated whilst building up my collection, and I need the space. Quality varies from good right down to rusty staples. I can't be bothered with eBaying them, and I'd really rather not see them go into the recycling bin.

I'm looking for some to collect them from my home just outside of Slough, and I'm only really interested in getting rid of them in one "lot".

If anyone would like to take them off my hands for free then please pm me.

#2483 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 23:24

And a large proportion of the stock listed in post 2406 remains here in my garage, still available.
RL

#2484 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,138 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:11

Anyone noticed in the May 2008 edition which has just arrived on the doormat, that at the end of the editorial they mention "we are in the final stages of preparation to launch our archive into the digital age, with a range of DVD's featuring the back catalogue of the magazine." First volume is to be 1950-1990, details to be released in the June edition......

#2485 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:52

I'll be having one of those so, fingers crossed it will be properly indexed

#2486 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 13:38

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Anyone noticed in the May 2008 edition which has just arrived on the doormat, that at the end of the editorial they mention "we are in the final stages of preparation to launch our archive into the digital age, with a range of DVD's featuring the back catalogue of the magazine." First volume is to be 1950-1990, details to be released in the June edition......

Roll on June...............this could be interesting!!!!

#2487 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,011 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 13:44

I've got all those ... I'd be far more interested in 1924-49 which (certainly before 1947) are rarer than rocking horse droppings. And seeing as it was incorporated into "Motor Sport" in 1939 I hope they include "Speed" as well. :)

#2488 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 14:01

What exactly do they mean?

If I were to buy it, would I be able to read all Jenks' race reports?

#2489 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 14:18

Originally posted by Barry Boor
What exactly do they mean?

If I were to buy it, would I be able to read all Jenks' race reports?

That certainly seems to be the implication: a further extract from the relevant paragraph is "... you will be able to flick through the pages of past Motor Sports without opening dusty bound volumes". Don't expect it to be cheap though: they also refer to "... special offers to get your new digital collection ... started".

#2490 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 14:25

I am hoping I will find some information about the Birmingham Road Race proposals and the Birmingham Superprix from their archives.

#2491 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I've got all those ... I'd be far more interested in 1924-49 which (certainly before 1947) are rarer than rocking horse droppings. And seeing as it was incorporated into "Motor Sport" in 1939 I hope they include "Speed" as well. :)

I have from 1958 until about the early Eighties complete with some gaps here and there after that.

I, too, would be very interested in being able to have earlier issues handy to look at when need arises. In addition, they provide valuable insight into what we term the "Contemporary Operating Environment" today.

I have found that digitized serials have an unintended consequence of a positive nature that I did not anticipate -- She Who Must Be Obeyed is not glaring at additional stacks of magazines suddenly appearing on the (already) crowded shelves.

It would appear that they will offering these in dribs & drabs, a year or so at a time. I would definitely plunk out the necessary funds to get the years 1950 to 1957, and maybe those several seasons where the gaps might make it worthwhile to consider it.

#2492 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 15:48

Will they be compensating those of us who have forked out good money over the years for the paper versions?

#2493 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 15:58

What do you think???? :)

Getting the 1950s would be EXTREMELY interesting to moi!

Please will subscribers keep us informed?

#2494 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 16:24

Now if only 'Autosport' would also follow this idea! All those club race results...

#2495 Steve L

Steve L

• 241 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 16:29

I wonder if they will include all of the adverts? They are often as interesting to read as the articles :)

#2496 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 16:35

Originally posted by Steve L
I wonder if they will include all of the adverts? They are often as interesting to read as the articles :)

I really hope they do. Nat Geographic did and, as you say, they provide a sense of context to the magazine that is compelling.

#2497 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 17:10

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Now if only 'Autosport' would also follow this idea! All those club race results...

And the Pete Lyons CanAm reports.

#2498 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 18:24

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Funny, that was my first thought as well :D

#2499 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 14:58

Just one thing about the May issue for me was the A1GP article. When that series started there seemed to be quite a few adverts masquerading as articles 'placed' on websites and magazines by an active PR dept and this seemed to me to be a little like one of those. The one page advert for the British round at the end of the article didn't dispell that perception.

Other than that I'm lovin' it :)

Advertisement

#2500 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 18:26

Originally posted by Maldwyn
Just one thing about the May issue for me was the A1GP article.

A1GP in Motor Sport? Aaaarrgg :eek: What would Jenks have said? Ironic that coverage of this silly series should coincide with my subscription going wrong and the mag not arriving...