'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2601 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,186 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 22:41

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
It is difficult to get Blenheim just about anywhere it seems.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was trying to understand why you were discussing RAF WW2 light bombers.

Advertisement

#2602 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 00:54

Originally posted by kayemod
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was trying to understand why you were discussing RAF WW2 light bombers.

Damn Limeys, never seeming to realize that there are people who could care less about some third rate WW2 bomber, but who can appreciate a Ginger Ale truly unlike any other.

;)

#2603 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,186 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 20:49

Damn Limeys, never seeming to realize that there are people who could care less about some third rate WW2 bomber, but who can appreciate a Ginger Ale truly unlike any other.

;)

I take it this all comes from the "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke" school of discussion, so I'll see your ginger pop, and raise you a Theakston's Old Peculier.

#2604 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,169 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 21:52

in Dillon County, and not far from SOB (South of the Border) for those who have not had the pleasure of seeing Pedro for mile afer mile after mile....

Even in rural England...
Posted Image
...where Blenheim Ginger Ale is unknown...

#2605 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 18:43

;)

Ginger Ale? Isn't that what girls drink? :)

#2606 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,594 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 18:50

I mean, WALHALLA, SOUTH CAROLINA! Ponder that for just a moment.... the corporate headquarters for Motor Sport is in Walhalla? I can under why -- whitewater just a short distance away, excellent fishing in the area, very reasonable cost of living, Clemson University right over there, Anderson and Buck Fulp just around the corner, great accents, what more could you ask for? Does it not strike anyone else as something to smile about?

:cool: My folks like in nearby Westminster.

#2607 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 18:54

Originally posted by PRD
Ginger Ale? Isn't that what girls drink?

You definitely have not had a sip or two of Blenheim Old No. 3..... It is for He Men and She Women only, the weak-kneed or faint of heart need not apply.

Veering back on topic:

I have come to really enjoy the Simon Taylor "Lunch with...." series. I hope I remembered to tell him that when we met several weeks ago. The conversation with Amon was top notch.

While I am not sure I am all that enthusiastic about MS moving back into the present, after a comparison of the latest issue I have, the June issue, with several issues selected at random from the past six or eight years, the magazine is certainly back on the correct azimuth, especially with regard to the writing.

Perhaps time for me to submit the Tripoli article to offset the one from back in, what, January 2000....?

#2608 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:00

Originally posted by JacnGille
My folks like in nearby Westminster.

Or as we like to call it, part of the "Greater Walhalla-Westminster-Seneca Metroplex of Oconee County"

#2609 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:03

While I am not sure I am all that enthusiastic about MS moving back into the present, after a comparison of the latest issue I have, the June issue, with several issues selected at random from the past six or eight years, the magazine is certainly back on the correct azimuth, especially with regard to the writing.

Perhaps time for me to submit the Tripoli article to offset the one from back in, what, January 2000....?

I think you should send your article to Simon Taylor for forwarding to the editor. It's appearance or non-appearance in the magazine could be a litmus test to show if they've really moved on from the Haymarket days.

#2610 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,594 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:06

Or as we like to call it, part of the "Greater Walhalla-Westminster-Seneca Metroplex of Oconee County"

Metroplex... :rotfl:

#2611 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:16

One last Blenheim digression and then back OT...

I realize that Blenheim is not that close to Walhalla, but it was a good opportunity to bring it up...

I've managed to have a few #3's without leaving Southern California thanks to the efforts of a independent minded store owner in the Highland Park district of Los Angeles. After being told by major soft drink distributors that he would be paying "placement fees", he told them to get their stuff the H--- out of his store. He has parlayed this into a unique store full of small bottlers, regional and imported soft drinks that has received national media attention. He tracks down original recipes and finds imports of soft drinks no longer bottled in the states. He truly enjoys the hunt.

I first became aware of Blenheim #3 thanks to the late Charles Kuralt and one of his "On The Road" features for CBS News (that marks 3 Kuralt momets I've experienced, the other two I stumbled across in rural California before he reported them). Upon seeing the soda pop market had it, I had to try it. I guess I liked it, since I stopped off and picked up a few bottles on the way back from the SAH Literature Faire at Irwindale Speedway in 2003 and 2005.

And, also to get back OT...I too enjoy the "Lunch With" features.

#2612 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:47

Originally posted by PRD
I think you should send your article to Simon Taylor for forwarding to the editor. It's appearance or non-appearance in the magazine could be a litmus test to show if they've really moved on from the Haymarket days.

I have Simon's old Haymarket email address, but probably highly unlikely he is using that one these days.

The Diet version of the Blenheim Ginger Ale, to my astonishment, is actually quite good. Not quite the "experience" of drinking a bottle of No. 3 (or "1903" in some quarters) , but it was excellent, almost mind-boggling to realize that it was a diet soda.

#2613 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:58

Originally posted by john aston
And pleeease no more bloody watches - who cares ?

You may not want to read this then : It seems watches may be here to stay.

#2614 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:59

Ooh, those are gorgeous.

#2615 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,186 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:33

Originally posted by Maldwyn
It seems watches may be here to stay.

Watch makers must pay a lot for those full-page ads, so if they are keeping MotorSport financially viable, as long as we keep getting the real quality stuff like 'Lunch with....', who care? Anyway, I like watches, especially those insanely expensive ones.

#2616 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:36

Archive collection CDs have just arrived. That's this weekend taken care of (and lots more besides, probably).

#2617 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 14:04

The only problem with "Lunch With..." is that so many of the people who would've been utterly superb are no longer with us. "Lunch With Gerry Marshall", "Lunch With Innes Ireland", "Lunch With Mike Hawthorn", etc.

(OK, some of the lunches might have been a little more liquid than the rabbit food and mineral water brigade prefer, but what stories!)

Incidentally, if we're talking splendid local soft drinks, I developed quite a taste for Sparky's Root Beer on holiday visiting Laguna Seca last year.

#2618 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 14:49

Originally posted by jph
Archive collection CDs have just arrived. That's this weekend taken care of (and lots more besides, probably).

Sweet! That's my weekend sorted as well with the Le Mans race and the football!

#2619 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 15:02

Originally posted by petefenelon
The only problem with "Lunch With..." is that so many of the people who would've been utterly superb are no longer with us. "Lunch With Gerry Marshall", "Lunch With Innes Ireland", "Lunch With Mike Hawthorn", etc.

(OK, some of the lunches might have been a little more liquid than the rabbit food and mineral water brigade prefer, but what stories!)

Peter - I had far too many liquid lunches with Dad, some I remember some I don't,but always very entertaining :drunk:
I have noticed in the last few "Lunch With..." it's all mineral water, very boring!!

I'd like to see a lunch with Keith Greene or David Render, the sort of people who are slightly more leftfield and real characters who aren't the subject of other magazine and book articles.

Advertisement

#2620 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 17:05

I suspect that Simon has some input into the interviewees' list, but I suspect more that the publisher wants "names" who will help to sell the magazine. As I have said before, ST's name, reputation and track record will get him through more doors than may be the case with lesser journos, and he has been around long enough to know them, their specific history and period first hand, so it makes for more credible writing, rather akin to the old DCN articles from the 80s and 90s, the general absence of which I frequently bemoan. DCN must be very busy as I am sure no magazine of consequence would miss an opportunity for a long piece from him. Still, I enjoy Lunch with... very much
Roger Lund.

#2621 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,186 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 17:22

Originally posted by bradbury west
Still, I enjoy Lunch with... very much

Me too, and I think they've all been really good and interesting choices so far, I'm sure we've all learned something new from each one. Along with Nigel, it's the first thing I turn to in the magazine each month, quality journalism both. Having a comparatively minor past involvement, I particularly enjoyed the Peter Warr one, mainly on his time at Lotus in the current issue. Just a shame that some of his revelations were about dead people who can't answer back, but Peter is entitled to his opinions of course. I'd love to see a Part II on what he said to Simon on the way to the airport, will this material ever be revealed? From what I remember, Simon probably had his eyes closed for much of the journey, which may have precluded his use of a voice recorder.

#2622 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 19:46

Originally posted by jph

How many people are still waiting for their discs to be delivered, or is it just me. :confused:

#2623 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 20:35

Me too! :(

... but then I ordered late, and am on the continent...

#2624 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 20:36

Incidentally, if we're talking splendid local soft drinks, I developed quite a taste for Sparky's Root Beer on holiday visiting Laguna Seca last year.

You sir, are a gentleman.

#2625 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:03

Originally posted by Mark A

How many people are still waiting for their discs to be delivered, or is it just me. :confused:

Still waiting...

I received the confirmation letter on 13th May and still haven't heard anything yet.

#2626 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:19

Got mine. There are four mentions of Otto Stuppacher. :)

#2627 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:23

Mark A and Ensign, when did you order yours?

#2628 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:28

About three weeks ago.

#2629 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:31

Originally posted by bigears
Mark A and Ensign, when did you order yours?

I ordered mine when the 1st magazine with the details arrived so about 6-8weeks ago I guess. I had the same confirmation letter as you did.

#2630 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:35

10th May order and still nothing here on Teesside... :(

#2631 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,930 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:48

:rotfl: :rotfl: As a Pom in the Wide Brown Land I always chuckle at how the word root has a quite different vernacular meaning downunder.

Many of the locals would have you believe that the very raison d'etre of beer is to facilitate a root!

We still have Coon cheese here but I don't believe Durex sticky tape is still available! ;)

#2632 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:35

As I am off work with a virus so I am stuck at home. Then I waited and waited for the post.

Then I went out to look at my doormat and my 1970s archives has arrived!

#2633 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,697 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 15:04

As I am off work with a virus so I am stuck at home. Then I waited and waited for the post.

I fear a relapse is about to occur! Keep indoors, wrap up well, keep warm by huddling up to your computer and enjoy the Archives I am sure they will have the desired affect!

:wave:

#2634 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 15:51

Just had a text message from home that my 60's and 80's archives have arrived. :up

#2635 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 16:39

They are a fantastic set of archives, a lot of reports and photos to go through even for a person who was born in 1983!

Now I got the urge to purchase the 1980s archives now...

#2636 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 474 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:58

Is anyone else having a problem uploading the disks? I've had a couple of tries and my computer locks up solid.
Frustrating. But it could be the machine (which is correctly spec'd fof the package). Any suggestions?

#2637 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:51

It really is very nicely done and great to have, although it is a bit of a shame that these really are just pictures (not scans) made of double page spreads and that the center of each spread therefore looks a bit messy where the pages curl inwards.

#2638 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:57

Question for all of you who have lashed out for the CD archives - how searchable are they? If, for example I wanted to retrieve information on Piers Courage specifically could I run a query such as

courage (yves cougar)

Or is it more a case of just browsing through the pages for relevant data?

#2639 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 16:02

Originally posted by fuzzi
Is anyone else having a problem uploading the disks? I've had a couple of tries and my computer locks up solid.
Frustrating. But it could be the machine (which is correctly spec'd fof the package). Any suggestions?

By uploading the disks, do you mean you're trying to copy them to your hard drive? I tried that and it didn't work. i haven't felt inclined to investigate any further.

I also had problems with one disk not being read correctly. They replaced it immediately and without question.

Advertisement

#2640 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 16:05

Originally posted by isynge
Question for all of you who have lashed out for the CD archives - how searchable are they? If, for example I wanted to retrieve information on Piers Courage specifically could I run a query such as

courage (yves cougar)

Or is it more a case of just browsing through the pages for relevant data?

You can search a disk (ie a decade) for a phrase, no booleans. It returns a list of the double page spreads where the phrase is found. I don't think there's a way of searching the page.

#2641 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 474 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 16:44

Originally posted by Roger Clark

By uploading the disks, do you mean you're trying to copy them to your hard drive? I tried that and it didn't work. i haven't felt inclined to investigate any further.

I also had problems with one disk not being read correctly. They replaced it immediately and without question.

Sorry Roger, I was simply trying to open them to read. I've now checked it on my son's Pc and it loaded and ran perfectly. Looks like this PC is faulty :mad:

#2642 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 17:12

Originally posted by Roger Clark

I recommend a package called Virtual CD for making anything that normally needs a whole pile of CDs/DVDs available painlessly. I've got literally dozens of CDs of data installed onto hard disc using it.

#2643 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:30

I have had the discs for about two weeks and have found them quite useful and not all that difficult to use; a bit awkward at times when in the "read" mode, but that is not that much of a problem. So far, unlike some items of a similar sort that have been scanned, I have yet to find any pages that are partially or completely illegible and therefore useless. For the price, quite a buy, in my opinion.

That many shelves of magazines have been reduced to several discs makes life easier whenever I happen to be on the road and want to have this sort of information available. Although I already had all the issues from the Sixties, Seventies, and Eighties, along with most of the Fifties, the discs are a convenient backup to the paper copies as well as being portable.

I hope that they add at least the Forties and Thirties to the collection of discs. Honestly not very sure I would be all that interested in the Nineties disc except, of course, as a backup.

#2644 chazh

chazh

• 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 14:27

I'm on the verge of ordering the archive discs, but before I do, can anyone tell me whether I'm likely to have problems accessing the content on a PC that is not running Microsoft Windows?

I'd hate to think that in order to view the magazines you have to be running some Windows-only application... There's nothing on the website that states "Windows only", but I'd hate to shell out £160 and discover that I couldn't use them...

#2645 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 14:36

I've got a Mac - no problems. :)

#2646 chazh

chazh

• 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 14:52

That's encouraging, but I should have mentioned I've got a Linux machine :)

Is it all web-browser-based, PDFs, a whole-buncha-jpegs, or something else entirely? I'm still paranoid that they've written some proprietary application to show the archives, and if so, while it's very applaudable that they've included Mac users, I fear Linux might be a bridge too far.

#2647 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 15:43

Originally posted by chazh

Me too...just got a little ASUS Eee PC running Linux (for mobile use). If I plug a CD drive into a USB port am I going to be able to read one of these discs?

#2648 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 18:35

Originally posted by chazh

Is it all web-browser-based, PDFs, a whole-buncha-jpegs, or something else entirely? I'm still paranoid that they've written some proprietary application to show the archives, and if so, while it's very applaudable that they've included Mac users, I fear Linux might be a bridge too far.

It is a Flash Player 9 application that runs the Search & views the images.

That said all of the images (in .jpg) can be copied from the DVD to a HD and viewed with any image software.
Don't know if the Search facility could be 'dummied' if Flash Player does not work under Linux.

Hope this helps

Rob

#2649 chazh

chazh

• 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 18:47

Ah, great, that should work with no problems. Thanks for the details.

I'd better get on the phone to them tomorrow then...

#2650 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 20:12

Originally posted by David Beard

Me too...just got a little ASUS Eee PC running Linux (for mobile use). If I plug a CD drive into a USB port am I going to be able to read one of these discs?

David
It's a DVD not a CD (even thought sleeve spec says x4 CD-ROM required :p )

Rob