Jump to content


Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2651 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer
  • Member

  • 3,626 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:55

While looking through the DVD from 1952 I noticed on page 3 in the December issue an ad from Better Books Ltd. showing 5 X-mas post cards . The page of course is in b/w , the ad tells the post cards are in colour. Does any of you happen to have these cards. I would be very interested in no. 1 and no. 4 .

Thanks in advance for any infos.

Advertisement

#2652 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,895 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:40

Viewing the past through rose coloured spectacles, I'm afraid.....

Now having in my posession the 1950s DVD of MotorSport - and now having worked out what screen resolution I require in order to read it! - I find myself, well, vaguely dissatisfied.

Not with the actual DVD, what more could they have done? No, it's just that I find so many things I had 'looked forward' to reading about, simply do not seem to have been covered by the magazine.

With regard to the continental race reports, I appreciate that Jenks could not be in two or three places at once, but occasionally his choice of events to attend, or not to attend in some cases, leaves me missing a report of a race I would really like to have read a report of.

I hold up as an example the F.1 race at Caen in 1958. A non-championship race, admittedly, but a race with works B.R.Ms and Moss... but so far I have been singularly unable to locate anything about this race in either the August or September issues. Maybe it is tucked away with a couple of column inches and I haven't found it yet, but I would have expected an F.1 race to have been covered in some detail by the Continental Correspondent.

Until beginning to browse these 1950s issues, I had forgotten how much MotorSport carried about which I was not in the slightest bit interested. But then, that's down to me, not MotorSport!

I suppose that's why I bought Autosport.

#2653 Roger Clark

Roger Clark
  • Member

  • 6,081 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:18

Originally posted by Barry Boor


I hold up as an example the F.1 race at Caen in 1958. A non-championship race, admittedly, but a race with works B.R.Ms and Moss... but so far I have been singularly unable to locate anything about this race in either the August or September issues. Maybe it is tucked away with a couple of column inches and I haven't found it yet, but I would have expected an F.1 race to have been covered in some detail by the Continental Correspondent.

Well, it was the day after the British Grand Prix!

There is a short report in August, page 513.

#2654 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:22

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I find myself, well, vaguely dissatisfied.

Glad I'm not the only one! Having never really read Motor Sport "in period", I expected something at least vaguely resembling Autosport - well, not quite! :

#2655 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:37

If that disappoints you, Barry, try finding the reports of all the 1950 (eg) world championship races :)

#2656 Doug Nye

Doug Nye
  • Member

  • 8,484 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:17

Tee-hee - this is the reality of 'Motor Sport' as it was. I have a near complete run from No 1 but its perceived value through the 1960s and '70s really exaggerated its value as a journal of record. One must remember that as a monthly there were race meetings which would not be reported by the magazine until fully three to four weeks after they had taken place. A major Grand Prix or what was considered to be an important sports car race would certainly be given space, but lesser races were often glossed-over, or omitted. There was little point in including them since most of the readership would long-since have read all about it in the weekly comics. At 50 years or more range it's sometimes difficult to appreciate this...

DCN

#2657 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 27 July 2008 - 21:04

Originally posted by Doug Nye
...its perceived value through the 1960s and '70s really exaggerated its value as a journal of record...

DCN


Translation: The more DSJ the better ;)

#2658 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 31 July 2008 - 15:52

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but upon purchase I was browsing through my "catch" to see what I got, only to find myself more recognizant of what was missing! Eventually, I'll have the time to dig a little deeper and perhaps find the pleasure in reading full articles, and finding the odd bit of information ("Oh, didn't know that!") that makes owning old mags such a pleasure. And as for "journal of record", I guess if you narrow the scope to F1/Grand Prix racing, then Jenks's diggings about car histories, and design developments are worthy of exactly that title, don't you think?;)

#2659 Brynmor

Brynmor
  • Member

  • 101 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 31 July 2008 - 16:25

Just a quickie but has anyone with a subscription had the September issue yet?

Advertisement

#2660 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,437 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:00

Originally posted by Brynmor
Just a quickie but has anyone with a subscription had the September issue yet?

Heck, I have not received the August issue yet!
Tom

#2661 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:46

Originally posted by Brynmor
Just a quickie but has anyone with a subscription had the September issue yet?


No, but it often takes things a day to get through the postroom here!

#2662 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,641 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:14

Originally posted by Brynmor
Just a quickie but has anyone with a subscription had the September issue yet?

Arrived this morning
RL

#2663 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,843 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:16

Originally posted by bradbury west

Arrived this morning
RL


Likewise.

:wave:

#2664 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,906 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:56

Originally posted by bradbury west
Arrived this morning

Ditto!
The August issue was wonderful & I especially enjoyed the Roebuck piece with Brundle. Considering where the magazine content was a year or so ago, I'd say our cup is now literally overflowing :up:

#2665 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,641 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:42

Originally posted by mfd

Ditto!
The August issue was wonderful & I especially enjoyed the Roebuck piece with Brundle. Considering where the magazine content was a year or so ago, I'd say our cup is now literally overflowing :up:


Well, ring or e mail the Editor and tell him in that case.
Roger Lund

#2666 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 01 August 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by mfd

Ditto!
The August issue was wonderful & I especially enjoyed the Roebuck piece with Brundle. Considering where the magazine content was a year or so ago, I'd say our cup is now literally overflowing :up:


I've only returned to MotorSport within the last year or so, but the magazine is excellent, a quality publication and better than it was most of the time in the past I'd say. They got a lot of criticism, mostly deserved, but they clearly listened and took it all on board. Do you think they read this thread? If so, well done!

#2667 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,906 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 01 August 2008 - 13:47

Originally posted by bradbury west
Well, ring or e mail the Editor and tell him in that case.
Roger Lund

The person I'd most like to pat on the back is Martin Brundle, having allowed his comments to appear in print

#2668 bill patterson

bill patterson
  • Member

  • 154 posts
  • Joined: January 05

Posted 01 August 2008 - 15:20

the magazine is excellent, a quality publication and better than it was most of the time in the past I'd say. They got a lot of criticism, mostly deserved, but they clearly listened and took it all on board.

Yes, praise where praise is due. The magazine is much improved over the last year and I now look forward to it again.

Well done to the editorial staff et al!

#2669 DN5

DN5
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: August 04

Posted 01 August 2008 - 16:32

Just noticed they are offering an archive DVD if you extend your subscription (the 10 year version for two extra years).

Very tempting

Geoff

#2670 Brynmor

Brynmor
  • Member

  • 101 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 01 August 2008 - 18:08

Mine's arrived.... :wave:

#2671 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 01 August 2008 - 18:16

Not too sure this is the best place to mention this, but it is in the current (September) issue of MotorSport. There's a letter from some sadly deluded person in Ohio, praising the Peter Warr interview, and yes, I enjoyed it as well, but suggesting, apparently in all seriousness, that Peter Warr was "the real genius behind Lotus". I'm not in any way belittling PW, as a team manager he was one of the best, but having seen the relationship at first hand, I'd say it had a distinctly Harry Corbett and Sooty aspect. As I said, PW was mostly an excellent team manager, but 'genius' ???

#2672 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,641 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 01 August 2008 - 18:46

[i]Originally posted by kayemod
but they clearly listened and took it all on board. Do you think they read this thread? .. well done!

I believe they do .
Roger Lund

#2673 Brynmor

Brynmor
  • Member

  • 101 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 01 August 2008 - 20:28

Originally posted by DN5
Just noticed they are offering an archive DVD if you extend your subscription (the 10 year version for two extra years).

Very tempting

Geoff


Just realised they've done this, 6 weeks after I took out two years at £95 !! :mad:
We live and learn....

#2674 Paul Butler

Paul Butler
  • Member

  • 71 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 02 August 2008 - 20:18

Originally posted by DN5
Just noticed they are offering an archive DVD if you extend your subscription (the 10 year version for two extra years).

Very tempting

Geoff

The problem is of course still for us "long term" subscribers that we don't appear to be included in this offer. I restarted my subscription to Motor Sport over 10 years ago now and have just let it run. It would be nice to sometimes be given a little "thank you".

I have to say that the magazine certainly seems to have found its way again these days and I still look forward to it dropping through the door!

#2675 Mark A

Mark A
  • Member

  • 1,128 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 02 August 2008 - 21:57

Originally posted by Paul Butler

The problem is of course still for us "long term" subscribers that we don't appear to be included in this offer. I restarted my subscription to Motor Sport over 10 years ago now and have just let it run. It would be nice to sometimes be given a little "thank you".

I have to say that the magazine certainly seems to have found its way again these days and I still look forward to it dropping through the door!


I'm getting tempted to cancel my Direct Debit and then take out the 2 year subscription.

However the letter from Nigel Robuck on the address label does say "All subscribers are to be given the opportunity.....". Wonder if they do really mean all.

#2676 BerndRos

BerndRos
  • Member

  • 128 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 02 August 2008 - 22:04

I am on the £100 a year deal that includes 4 MOTOR FILMS DVD s worth £80 , so that is £20 a year for my M S mags . but as I have never missed an issue since 1969 , so think I deserve a good deal .

:smoking:

#2677 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,840 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 05 August 2008 - 22:15

It is very interesting to read the praise being heaped on MotorSport magazine by Racing Comments, it shows that the Mag is delivering what their customers require! Bravo :up:

#2678 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 05 August 2008 - 23:09

Originally posted by RA Historian
Heck, I have not received the August issue yet!
Tom


The August issue finally made its leisurely way to here in the outskirts of the Nation's Capital today....

As DCN states, MS during the Fifties was not at all what most seem to think it was. It took the era of Albion Triumphant for it to spread its wings a tad bit wider. For that matter, ditto for Autosport. As for being a JoR -- Journal of Record, that notion was mostly the creation of several young chaps, such as DCN, ST, and so forth during the Sixties, pushing the concept further afield than whatever had existed beforehand.

#2679 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin
  • Member

  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined: April 00

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:19

On pg 125 of the September magazine, it captions the top photo as "This is Jean-Francois Piot and Jacob in '67 Monte Carlo". Now I agree that it is Piot in the '67 Monte, but according to the results in The Times from that year, his co-driver was M.Karaky - Jacob was his co-driver for 1966. Was The Times wrong, or is Motor Sport wrong?

Advertisement

#2680 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,874 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:54

Ooooh, there's no winner in that question.

#2681 Tim Murray

Tim Murray
  • Member

  • 14,744 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 06 August 2008 - 15:48

Motor Sport's own contemporary report, in the March 1967 issue, lists Piot's co-driver as M Karaky.

#2682 Kvadrat

Kvadrat
  • Member

  • 926 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 09 August 2008 - 00:28

Originally posted by alansart
Motorsport are putting their complete back catalogue on CD.

Single decades for £39.99 each and single years for £14.99.

Sounds good value to me and a pretty good archive.


How can I order these disks? At their site I have found only this announcement for current subscribers: http://www.subscript...otorsport/dara/.

#2683 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder
  • Member

  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined: June 00

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:54

Originally posted by Kvadrat


How can I order these disks? At their site I have found only this announcement for current subscribers: http://www.subscript...otorsport/dara/.

Go here and on the right side of the page you will see
'Motor Sport Digital Archive Collection'.
Clicking this will open a .pdf order form.

You can also order by telephone : +44 (0)20 7349 3150
Rob

#2684 Kvadrat

Kvadrat
  • Member

  • 926 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 09 August 2008 - 15:06

I can't believe that they don't use on-line payment methods.

So I must print form, fill it and send them via snail mail? Sounds like stone age.

#2685 Mark A

Mark A
  • Member

  • 1,128 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 09 August 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by Kvadrat
I can't believe that they don't use on-line payment methods.

So I must print form, fill it and send them via snail mail? Sounds like stone age.


Just call the number Rob mentions above, that was how I ordered mine.

#2686 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,514 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 09 August 2008 - 20:46

Originally posted by Mark A


Just call the number Rob mentions above, that was how I ordered mine.

I wonder if Vladimir has as much faith in the Russian phone system (or perhaps his spoken English?) as you do Mark? It's a long way from Tomsk ....;)

#2687 Kvadrat

Kvadrat
  • Member

  • 926 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 10 August 2008 - 00:29

Richard is right. Our phone system is almost perfect to let me call at any point of the world but I'm afraid it will be very difficult for me to explain with right pronounce what I'm wanting and to understand what they tell me in return.

#2688 Mark A

Mark A
  • Member

  • 1,128 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:51

Originally posted by Vitesse2

I wonder if Vladimir has as much faith in the Russian phone system (or perhaps his spoken English?) as you do Mark? It's a long way from Tomsk ....;)


Perhaps I should check locations first :blush:.

Fax is probably the best option?

#2689 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,514 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 20:45

Not directly related to Motor Sport, but some more ABC figures are out, covering issues for the first six months of 2008. They don't make good reading for motoring publishers. The first figure is the latest circulation for each title, the second (in brackets) the figure for Jul-Dec 2007.

Autocar: 36541 (38476)

Auto Express: 36689 (39584)

BBC Top Gear:112444 (123213)

Evo: 31896 (35173)

Octane 8714 (9387)

C&SC: 33,558 (38193)

Classic Cars: 17704 (23495)

Octane now sells more copies through retail outlets abroad than in the UK but total paid-for sales including subscriptions are split 50/50 UK and abroad. However, they still give away 4000 copies a month in the UK and another 540 abroad.

The sporting magazines won't report again until next February.

#2690 john aston

john aston
  • Member

  • 841 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:47

Top Gear figures always a laugh- the magazine for the man who, owning a poverty spec 3 Series BMW, having once attended a BTCC meeting at Snetterton as a reward for widget salesman of the month Feb 2004 and being a devout Top Gear watcher( and taking Clarkson's every word as gospel rather than the tongue in cheek jape it is meant to be(isn't it?)) believes that he is truly an enthusiast.

ps he also added to the Downing Street petition to make Clarkson prime minister and buys the Sunday Times to prove he is middle class....

#2691 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:11

Originally posted by john aston
Top Gear figures always a laugh- the magazine for the man who, owning a poverty spec 3 Series BMW, having once attended a BTCC meeting at Snetterton as a reward for widget salesman of the month Feb 2004 and being a devout Top Gear watcher( and taking Clarkson's every word as gospel rather than the tongue in cheek jape it is meant to be(isn't it?)) believes that he is truly an enthusiast.

ps he also added to the Downing Street petition to make Clarkson prime minister and buys the Sunday Times to prove he is middle class....


An accurate summing up, though I think I'd have gone for the Daily Mail.

I'm probably more of a 'car enthusiast' than most Top Gear readers, and although an unashamed fan of Clarkson as a writer and broadcaster, I've never been tempted to so much as glance at a copy of TG in WHS. I haven't looked at a single issue of any of the magazines listed in many years, not even a casual flick-through in a dentist's waiting room, how many on TNS read any of them regularly? For me, many more years than there should have been as an Autosport subscriber, and now an appreciative MotorSport reader, and the only other motoring publication I get is a freebie titled 'Feel', which comes with the car I currently drive.

#2692 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford
  • Member

  • 5,290 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:46

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Not directly related to Motor Sport, but some more ABC figures are out, covering issues for the first six months of 2008. They don't make good reading for motoring publishers. The first figure is the latest circulation for each title, the second (in brackets) the figure for Jul-Dec 2007.

Autocar: 36541 (38476)

Auto Express: 36689 (39584)

BBC Top Gear:112444 (123213)

Evo: 31896 (35173)

Octane 8714 (9387)

C&SC: 33,558 (38193)

Classic Cars: 17704 (23495)

Octane now sells more copies through retail outlets abroad than in the UK but total paid-for sales including subscriptions are split 50/50 UK and abroad. However, they still give away 4000 copies a month in the UK and another 540 abroad.

The sporting magazines won't report again until next February.


These figures are even more worrying for these magazines when one looks at the general market trend in the UK:

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00312ab6-6a54-11dd-83e8-0000779fd18c.html?nclick_check=1

Kind regards

Phil

#2693 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder
  • Member

  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined: June 00

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:47

... and what's wrong with a 'poverty spec 3 Series BMW' :|
Rob
Badge #11 and BMW 316iSE ;)

#2694 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,895 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:47

Top Gear has a magazine? :

#2695 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,427 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:50

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Top Gear has a magazine?


Barry... you are so... you are... so...

Welsh!

#2696 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:00

Top Gear also has the advantage in being the only motoring magazine that's allowed to be advertised on the BBC

#2697 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton
  • Member

  • 3,101 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:06

Originally posted by David McKinney
Top Gear also has the advantage in being the only motoring magazine that's allowed to be advertised on the BBC

Not to mention the endless repeats of its host programme on BBC2, BBC3, "Dave" (and sometimes, it seems, every other channel one chops to in search of proper entertainment. . . ) :o

#2698 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos
  • Member

  • 2,089 posts
  • Joined: July 02

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:10

Vitesse2 thanks for these figures. Most worrying are the relative high decreased numbers for classic car magazines.

#2699 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,514 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:14

Originally posted by Phil Rainford


These figures are even more worrying for these magazines when one looks at the general market trend in the UK:

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00312ab6-6a54-11dd-83e8-0000779fd18c.html?nclick_check=1

Kind regards

Phil

Well, to a certain extent, that's the FT blowing its own trumpet - they do at least admit to owning a 50% stake in The Economist. The magazines they're featuring all tend to sell far more copies on subscription than through retail: in the case of The Week, the ratio is nearly 12:1 subscription to retail. Prospect is about 2.5:1, The Economist and The Spectator each about 3:1.

Most consumer magazines rely far more on retail sales than subscriptions - which does of course leave them more vulnerable to an economic slowdown.

Advertisement

#2700 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,514 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:21

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Vitesse2 thanks for these figures. Most worrying are the relative high decreased numbers for classic car magazines.

Yes. Last year they were all on a slight upward trend. There also seems to be a downturn in the amount of advertising they're carrying, which I suppose could presage a fall in classic car prices .....