'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2751 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,846 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 22:15

Good news for those who - like me - are waiting for the "prequel" DVD: I asked about the pre-50 one the other day when I phoned to order a set for Vladimir. The 1924-49 issues are currently being scanned and should be available - all on one DVD - early in 2009. :clap: I also asked about 'Speed': at the moment they aren't planning to include it, but I got the impression they were open to persuasion. Although they don't apparently have a set in the 'Motor Sport' office!

Advertisement

#2752 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,824 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:27

Someone is currently trying to sell a load of 1950s MotorSports on E**y. Surprisingly, he can't give them away!

I guess all those who might have been interested have bought the C.D. rom.

#2753 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:52

Originally posted by john aston

and preferable to the pissed up Geordies who one occasionally encounters at Croft..

I take great offence at this comment! If you'd tried to get to Croft, from anywhere North, using public transport you'd know why we head straight for the bar......

#2754 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:49

Public Transport ..Croft ..hmm..never been used in same sentence before.To be serious the lagered up crew only tend to appear at crashfest BTCC meetings.The rest of the time the specator contingent- as I am sure you know- comprises me and 18 other anoraks sipping our Bovril in a howling NW wind.That's at July meetings of course - it comes on colder the rest of the year

#2755 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 13:48

Public Transport ..Croft ..hmm..never been used in same sentence before.To be serious the lagered up crew only tend to appear at crashfest BTCC meetings.The rest of the time the specator contingent- as I am sure you know- comprises me and 18 other anoraks sipping our Bovril in a howling NW wind.That's at July meetings of course - it comes on colder the rest of the year

I didn't realise there were that many TNF members within striking distance of Croft! :lol:

#2756 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 15:07

Only ever been to the place once,and that was by public transport in 1970,from London for F3 international.Fast train to Darlington and the local bus as for as I recall.
Back to subject,my 1950s CD arrived this morning,should keep me busy for a few hours :)

#2757 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 16:22

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Someone is currently trying to sell a load of 1950s MotorSports on E**y. Surprisingly, he can't give them away!

I guess all those who might have been interested have bought the C.D. rom.

Whatever qualms some may have about such digitized materials -- I would certainly rather have the tactile sensation of holding and then reading an actual magazine versus staring at it on a computer screen, but then again as a quasi-Luddite I do tend to print off items I need to examine or use.... -- versus the Real McCoy, they permit a wider distribution of materials which can be used for research. Plus, they do take up less physical space, something for which She Who Must Be Obeyed has expressed her appreciation. It also means that you have portability for some of your materials, meaning that I can take a collection of Motor Sport to the desert to peruse and enjoy versus dreaming about those issues sitting on the shelves in the library six thousand plus miles away.

Should Haymarket ever decide to do so with Autosport, well, I am sure that the discs will sell like hotcakes.

#2758 bigears

bigears

• 867 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Should Haymarket ever decide to do so with Autosport, well, I am sure that the discs will sell like hotcakes.

It may be possible as I made a visit to the MotorSport archives last June/July(?) and I asked a chap there and the digitalization of Autosports and Motoring News into DVDs might be possible but it will take a lot of work scanning all of the pages from those weekly publications!

If it happens, I will be the first in the queue.

#2759 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 18:43

Only 13 if you discount my family of 5 (none pissed :mad: ) ;)
Rob

Advertisement

#2760 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 18:44

- I would certainly rather have the tactile sensation of holding and then reading an actual magazine versus staring at it on a computer screen,

Agreed Don, and the CDs does not smell right :)
Rob

#2761 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 18:47

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

Agreed Don, and the CDs does not smell right :)
Rob

The ink doesn't come off on your fingers though...

#2762 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:56

Anybody got the 1000th issue yet?

#2763 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,846 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:21

Originally posted by dank

:wave:

#2764 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:18

Any good?!

#2765 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 17:32

You'll have to wait until he's read it from cover to cover! :D

#2766 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 17:40

Originally posted by D-Type
You'll have to wait until he's read it from cover to cover! :D

In my case that can take months.

I usually read Roebuck and 'Lunch With' fairly quickly, if possible on the day it arrives, but after that they get added to a (growing) pile of reading matter to be read thoroughly as opportunities arise. I often wish I was a faster reader, or perhaps with advancing years, I'm just slowing generally...

#2767 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 21:35

Yes, although I've only had the chance to flick through it. There is plenty about Jenks and Porsche, and interviews with Sid Watkins, Lewis Hamilton and Valentino Rossi. It looks pretty good.

#2768 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:45

I am still waiting for number 999 to arrive..... :

#2769 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:23

I have seen it in the shops but why hasn''t my subscriber copy arrived yet hmm? I need some motoring stuff to read as Autosport took about 90 seconds to read this week.'Will Hamilton...' 'how many points Hamilton needs..' 'If Massa..' 'why Kimi must help..' etc ad nauseam.

#2770 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 19:10

I have seen it in the shops but why hasn''t my subscriber copy arrived yet hmm? I need some motoring stuff to read as Autosport took about 90 seconds to read this week.'Will Hamilton...' 'how many points Hamilton needs..' 'If Massa..' 'why Kimi must help..' etc ad nauseam.

At least they didn't repeat, or even para-phrase, the "Can Lewis take the heat?" headline......

#2771 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 20:40

I browsed through the 1000th issue today on a newstand and it looks great, but I have not received my copy yet. I have, however, received my CD Rom of the '60s archive and it is brilliant and compact, but I know I am being churlish here (and old fashioned) but I still prefer to browse through a paper mag, I just do not have anymore space to store them though!!! :lol:

#2772 Neil Andrew

Neil Andrew

• 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:16

Same situation here in East Yorkshire.
On sale in Smiths in Scarborough, but subscription copy still not received in Hornsea.

nca.

#2773 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:34

I know it's a bit of a cliche to say that Roebuck recycles stuff, but I really did feel that I'd read his Jenks piece many times before.

#2774 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:37

Mine hasn't arrived either :mad: So I'll have to pass the time watching the GP tomorrow (if I can keep awake) :)

#2775 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,846 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 00:02

[smug news retailer mode] :p I'd venture to suggest that the reason Motor Sport is out earlier in the shops than via subscription is because the first two weeks of November are traditionally a very busy time in magazine retailing, with December dated issues and Christmas specials all appearing at the same time. In a 'normal' month, the news wholesalers will hold stock back until the expected publication date, but there's so much copy about at the moment they just don't have the space. It doesn't help that Nov 1st is a Saturday, not a normal monthly magazine publication day.

My copies of Motor Sport arrived on Thursday, so they'd probably been delivered to the wholesaler on Tuesday. Today I received about fifteen titles I wasn't expecting until next Thursday or Friday.

So, it's not that your subscription copies are late, the trade copies are early![/smug news retailer mode]

#2776 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 00:27

Thanks for the explanation, Richard.

#2777 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:58

That's all right then; feel much better now.But I still haven't got my copy.....

#2778 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:34

My copy still not received.Autosport a day late in both local news suppliers :)

#2779 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:35

Originally posted by RA Historian
I am still waiting for number 999 to arrive..... :

Whoo-hoo! #999 just arrived in my mailbox, today, the 14th of November. Now I just have to wait another month to see what you are talking about for number 1000...... :

Tom

Advertisement

#2780 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:21

Originally posted by JohnS
I know it's a bit of a cliche to say that Roebuck recycles stuff, but I really did feel that I'd read his Jenks piece many times before.

Yes, most of the material is directly transferred from a piece which he wrote for a book a few years ago, with a few bits added here and there. It's still a good read, nevertheless.

#2781 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:08

Originally posted by COUGAR508

Yes, most of the material is directly transferred from a piece which he wrote for a book a few years ago, with a few bits added here and there. It's still a good read, nevertheless.

Especially for those of us who didn't buy the book! :wave:

#2782 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 13:43

Originally posted by Stephen W

Especially for those of us who didn't buy the book! :wave:

Those revelations about Jenks' living arrangements are wonderful!

#2783 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 13:49

Originally posted by COUGAR508

Those revelations about Jenks' living arrangements are wonderful!

Yes, even if you've read them almost word for word several times before, but there was much I hadn't seen and didn't know in Bill Boddy's piece on DSJ, intriguing the hold that the little man seems to have had over WB. I never met him, but Denis Sargent Jenkinson must have had many times more charisma than a current F1 grid.

#2784 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 13:57

Originally posted by kayemod

Yes, even if you've read them almost word for word several times before, but there was much I hadn't seen and didn't know in Bill Boddy's piece on DSJ, intriguing the hold that the little man seems to have had over WB. I never met him, but Denis Sargent Jenkinson must have had many times more charisma than a current F1 grid.

Yes, as Nigel Roebuck says, like any true eccentric DSJ thought himself perfectly normal, and felt that everyone else was out of step!

It is only in the last couple of years that I have had the chance to really read Jenks' work, and I find it compelling.

#2785 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 18:17

Originally posted by RA Historian
Whoo-hoo! #999 just arrived in my mailbox, today, the 14th of November. Now I just have to wait another month to see what you are talking about for number 1000...... :

Tom

Tom, Your copy got to you a day earlier than mine did. It just got delivered this morning. Don

#2786 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:13

I've read the 1000th edition now and personally I was a little disappointed (please don't shoot me!!) in it but I did enjoy the bits on DSJ (especially the generator as I know someone just like that!!). As a younger reader I've never really read much of his writings on older GPs, etc as it never appealed to me before but is beginning to now.

#2787 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:24

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
I've read the 1000th edition now and personally I was a little disappointed (please don't shoot me!!) in it but I did enjoy the bits on DSJ (especially the generator as I know someone just like that!!).

Gregor, must agree; it was a somewhat lack-lustre effort after being heralded as the 1000th Edition it didn't really impress.

:

#2788 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:28

Phew, glad I wasn't the only one!! :wave:

#2789 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:42

Originally posted by Stephen W

Gregor, must agree; it was a somewhat lack-lustre effort after being heralded as the 1000th Edition it didn't really impress.

:

Completely agree. I'm not a subscriber of Motorsport Magazine and buy probably 5/6 issues a year. Glanced through the issue in my local newsagents and for a significant event such as this, there was really nothing to warrant a purchase. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing 'special' and a wasted opportunity!

#2790 delta

delta

• 35 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:50

I was going to say something but did not have the bottle. I have been getting more and more dissapointed with the mag. I seem to buy it just to dream about owning and racing some of the cars for sale.

#2791 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,685 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:22

Personally I think that Motor Sport has improved tremendously over the last year or so.

I enjoyed the 1000th issue, especially Doug's bit on DSJ and his association with sidecar racer par excellence and World Champion Eric Oliver that contained all manner of fascinating details (like Oliver actually raced an Elan later in life etc.)

Also the piece by Gordon Cruickshank about Motor Sport's old premises near Finsbury Square and the general antics of staff and management was equally fascinating, for me at least, but then I had seen it for myself in period.

Bearing in mind that it was a commemorative issue I thought the contents wholly appropriate, so there! (Thumbs nose, ya boo sucks and similar childish gestures, in print).

#2792 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 519 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:36

Originally posted by Paul Parker
[Also the piece by Gordon Cruickshank about Motor Sport's old premises near Finsbury Square and the general antics of staff and management was equally fascinating, for me at least, but then I had seen it for myself in period.

[/B]

I always wondered what happened to the antique furniture-there were some very nice Georgian/William 4th library tables which I always fancied, plus some quite good chairs I recall, but it was an amazing warren.

#2793 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:58

Originally posted by delta
I was going to say something but did not have the bottle. I have been getting more and more dissapointed with the mag. I seem to buy it just to dream about owning and racing some of the cars for sale.

Me too Delta! We will just have to keep doing the lottery! :lol:

#2794 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 13:14

Originally posted by Paul Parker
Personally I think that Motor Sport has improved tremendously over the last year or so.

On this, I am in complete agreement with Paul. It has definitely moved in the right direction and it fully deserves both credit and recognition for doing so.

#2795 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 13:33

On this, I am in complete agreement with Paul. It has definitely moved in the right direction and it fully deserves both credit and recognition for doing so.

I agree too, I just didn't think that the 1,000th issue was any better than the normal issues over the last 6/12 months and I was expecting something better - maybe I got ahead of myself!!

#2796 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 14:16

I would also agree with the part of Paul Parker's post that Donald refers to, but like Gregor I think the 1000th Issue didn't match the hype of the pre issue publicity.

:wave:

#2797 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,846 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 15:19

It was a bit of a curate's egg, but I get the impression they were somewhat hamstrung by Sir Frank and Patrick .... if you look at the 'trailers' in the previous couple of issues and in their RSS emails I think a big focus was meant to be on Williams' 500th GP. For whatever reason(s), that didn't happen and there's a vague air of "OMG, we've promised our biggest ever issue - WTF are we going to fill this up with? Nigel - can you rehash your Jenks stuff to go with Doug's piece on his biking days and Bill's memoir? Gordon - I know you've done an article on Old Man Tee and the old days at Standard House before, but can you flesh it out a bit more and rewrite it?"

#2798 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 207 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 15:46

Pages 155 and 156.

Louisa Skippers Social Diary.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DC

#2799 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:13

Motorsport has indeed improved this year. I only regret that although it now has more pages, the amount and variety of historic articles seems to have been decreased in fact, maybe because of the space devoted to Roebuck's look at life and the many race reports, which frankly I don't care about much. Yes, there are some longer stories now, which is good (thank you Simon Taylor), but overall I feel I am finished reading quite a bit quicker than before and some things have now REALLY been recycled too often (even the 1000th issue had a Roebuck piece on Senna vs. Prost. Again). Also, why not consider talking to some Italian, French or German journos to avoid too many stories about Moss, Clark, BRM, etc.? Then again, I don't know the mag's circulation (does anyone know>) and how much of it is sold in the UK.

By the way, this is how Motorsport sees its readers (from their media pack)...

"It is no surprise that the Motor Sport reader is a passionate, committed and wealthy car enthusiast. As a successful man the typical reader aspires to the glamorous lifestyle portrayed by the icons of the sport. The readers are affluent high-spending achievers with a passion for historic racing cars."

Interesting that...

Advertisement

#2800 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:19

Originally posted by Formula Once
"It is no surprise that the Motor Sport reader is a passionate, committed and wealthy car enthusiast. As a successful man the typical reader aspires to the glamorous lifestyle portrayed by the icons of the sport. The readers are affluent high-spending achievers with a passion for historic racing cars."

Interesting that...

Surely that's an Octane reader?? :lol: