'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2801 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:26

Originally posted by Formula Once
"It is no surprise that the Motor Sport reader is a passionate, committed and wealthy car enthusiast. As a successful man the typical reader aspires to the glamorous lifestyle portrayed by the icons of the sport. The readers are affluent high-spending achievers with a passion for historic racing cars."

Oh, my....

That seems to echo the sorts of things said about "Soldier of Fortune" magazine until it was realized that the readership was composed primarily of 16-year old boys and Others -- who it would be extremely unkind to actually describe, but actual Ranger or SF or Wild Geese types they definitely were not -- which was scarcely what the magazine touted its readership as being....

Advertisement

#2802 delta

delta

• 35 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:33

Oh well that counts me out.Just have to stick with Motorsport news on Wednesdays. At least i got in down the pub last week. :D

#2803 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:39

Obviously this is just what they tell the advertisers, but still it is a bit worrying and does explain the Louise Skipper (maybe that's a nick name, for I skip that bit montly...) and may lead to more nonsense focussing on this target group in the future.

#2804 SEdward

SEdward

• 834 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:50

The 1000th anniversary edition seems like a missed opportunity to me. For a start, reading articles about people who write articles about motor racing is a bit like reading books about people who write books about people who write books.

Roebuck really needs to broaden his horizons, although it's probably too late. I've had enough of articles and anecdotes about Villeneuve, Andretti and Moss.

I canceled my subscription a couple of years ago, but when I discovered that Roebuck had become editor, I renewed it in the hope that things would change. As one of the man's loyal reader's since his days at Competition Car in the 1970s, so far I have been disappointed.

I couldn't give a toss about historic car racing, social diaries and auctions. I am not a moneyed owner of several Ferrari replicas. I am just a man who is passionately interested in the history of motor racing and who wants to read long, informative and in-depth articles about the people, the races, the cars and the circuits that make up the history of this terrific sport. The defunct French publication Automobile Historique almost got it right, but their editorial policy was poor and they went bust.

If Motor Sport doesn't get back on track over the next few months, then I will not renew my subscription.

But at least the calendar is worth having.
Edward

#2805 edelweiss

edelweiss

• 127 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 18:18

And a personal note: many drivers on the cover of the 1000st issue, but they forgot completely one World Champion and 12-time GP-winner: Alan Jones.

And that when there are drivers on the cover who even never won Grand Prix....

#2806 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 19:00

Well I thought it was a bloody good read.Not perrfect - am not interested in social diary or stupid watches and similar fripperies .But better than anything else out there- and actually better than many copies in the good old days - I din't find road tests of Renault 4s too rivetting....

#2807 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 19:24

Originally posted by john aston
Well I thought it was a bloody good read.Not perrfect - am not interested in social diary or stupid watches and similar fripperies .But better than anything else out there- and actually better than many copies in the good old days - I din't find road tests of Renault 4s too rivetting....

Seconded :up: and I am another who could do without the watches etc, as I am quite satisfied by a none "lifestyle" watch, I just want to be able to see what the time is :lol: However, I guess they receive much needed revenue from the advertisers.

#2808 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 871 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 19:45

"It is no surprise that the Motor Sport reader is a passionate, committed and wealthy car enthusiast. As a successful man the typical reader aspires to the glamorous lifestyle portrayed by the icons of the sport. The readers are affluent high-spending achievers with a passion for historic racing cars."

I've read Motor Sport since 1966 and all that time I didn't realise that I wasn't qualified to...

I also agree with the view that the 1000th edition was a bit flat, more pages but nothing special in the content. Strange that four times world champion Alain Prost didn't get onto the cover with Senna and Schumacher and the "Porsche's Hottest Numbers" article had the feel of an advertisement feature.

I was expecting a more meaningful overview of the history of the magazine and the sport over the last 80 years.

David

#2809 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,426 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:29

Wow, am I going to have to change my lifestyle! Sorta reminds me of those ad blurbs years ago touting the Playboy life style. Sorry to say, I did not fit that mold either...oh my. :(
Tom

#2810 frp

frp

• 352 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 17:54

Mmm... let me see how I shape up. 'passionate', 'committed', 'wealthy', 'successful', 'glamorous', 'affluent', 'high-spending', 'achiever'?
No, none of them. *
That must be why the much-heralded 1000th edition I ordered online on 17th October hasn't been delivered.

* I'm still negotiating with my girlfriend over 'man', 'reader' and 'historic'. :

#2811 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 18:13

Originally posted by sterling49

Seconded :up: and I am another who could do without the watches etc, as I am quite satisfied by a none "lifestyle" watch, I just want to be able to see what the time is :lol: However, I guess they receive much needed revenue from the advertisers.

What? you don't have your 250.000 Euro Richard Mille watch? :lol:

#2812 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,760 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 18:17

Originally posted by Pils1989

What? you don't have your 250.000 Euro Richard Mille watch? :lol:

I wouldn't give one house room! ):

#2813 alansart

alansart

• 4,024 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 18:44

Originally posted by sterling49

Agreed, don't knock the ads, it's partly paying for our pleasure.

Just read what you want and ignore the rest.

If the rest becomes too much, then stop buying it.

#2814 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:36

I certainly won't be renewing my subscription of Motorsport Magazine!

I received a missed call on Friday afternoon on my mobile. Unfortunately work frown on those of us who take personal calls so I had to be a bit covert and Google the number only to find it was Motorsport Magazine who called me. I pondered as to why, and then I remembered that I had entered a competition to win tickets for tickets to the Wales Rally GB which ended... last Friday!

So I called back. No answer. Called again. No answer. Called... left message on voicemail and sent an email to them as well.

I had no response so called them again today. And what do you know? They've gone and given them away to somebody else instead as I didn't answer their call in time. I didn't realise that this was part of the competition and also wonder why they would ask for my address details upon entering. The purpose of the call? To ensure that I still wanted to go. Why the hell would I enter then?

Rubbish.

#2815 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,077 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:56

Originally posted by dank
I certainly won't be renewing my subscription of Motorsport Magazine!

I received a missed call on Friday afternoon on my mobile. Unfortunately work frown on those of us who take personal calls so I had to be a bit covert and Google the number only to find it was Motorsport Magazine who called me. I pondered as to why, and then I remembered that I had entered a competition to win tickets for tickets to the Wales Rally GB which ended... last Friday!

So I called back. No answer. Called again. No answer. Called... left message on voicemail and sent an email to them as well.

I had no response so called them again today. And what do you know? They've gone and given them away to somebody else instead as I didn't answer their call in time. I didn't realise that this was part of the competition and also wonder why they would ask for my address details upon entering. The purpose of the call? To ensure that I still wanted to go. Why the hell would I enter then?

Rubbish.

i suggest you write two letters to them: one being a letter of complaint saying much the same as here and the other being a formal "letter to the editor". And for luck also send them as e-mail attachments on two separate e-mails.

#2816 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 13:43

No fair, thats a nasty foul.

I'd agree with the above approach completely.

#2817 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by D-Type
i suggest you write two letters to them: one being a letter of complaint saying much the same as here and the other being a formal "letter to the editor". And for luck also send them as e-mail attachments on two separate e-mails.

Letter is in the offing. Not happy about this at all!

#2818 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 21:44

...checking first that there's nothing in the small print saying you had to be available to take a phone-call to claim your prize

#2819 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 21:49

Originally posted by David McKinney
...checking first that there's nothing in the small print saying you had to be available to take a phone-call to claim your prize

Feel free to find any small-print on this page: http://www.motorspor...wales-rally-gb/ or anywhere else on the Motorsport Magazine about competitions on their site!

Advertisement

#2820 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 21:52

Bit of an update. After I asked them to provide me with the small-print, they've conceded that I appear to be in the right. Unfortunately they're unable to supply me with tickets for the rally next week but are sending me an 80s archive DVD as a means to make up it.

In the meantime, someone else I know has come out of the woodwork and might be able to supply me with complimentary tickets so alls well that ends well I guess.

#2821 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,760 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 15:05

During my morning trip into town today I wandered into WH Smiths and was shocked to see the January 2009 Issue of Motor Sport on the shelves. Usually my Subscription Copy has arrived before WH Smiths get their copies so I will be sending a SNOT-O-GRAM forthwith!

:mad:

I know that people outside the UK will not even have had the December issue yet but you would think they would at least ensure their "local" subscribers were given priority!

:

#2822 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 15:22

Strange thing is I'm getting subscription offers in the mail when there are no reason for them to have my new address...
I wonder where they are getting it from.

#2823 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 16:26

Big Brother is WATCHING you!

#2824 josefk

josefk

• 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 17:23

Don't know if any of you Motorsport malcontents have checked out Grand Prix + yet. It's an e-magazine run by Joe Saward, David Tremayne and Paul Cahier. Plops in the inbox neatly and you can print it off in glorious technicolour if you wish. I subscribed as a try out as you got free access to all the back issues as well.

What really surprised and pleased me was the number of historical articles backed up with fantastic old photographs, great Phil Hill article for example. The photography is stunning.

Well worth a look in the humble opinion of a recent subscriber with no connections. (the Brazil issue was free online as a teaser last I looked)

#2825 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,426 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 20:36

Originally posted by Stephen W
During my morning trip into town today I wandered into WH Smiths and was shocked to see the January 2009 Issue of Motor Sport on the shelves. Usually my Subscription Copy has arrived before WH Smiths get their copies so I will be sending a SNOT-O-GRAM forthwith!

I know that people outside the UK will not even have had the December issue yet but you would think they would at least ensure their "local" subscribers were given priority!

:

Heck, I won't even begin thinking about receiving my December issue for another ten days or so! :
Tom

#2826 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 13:01

:

Delivered in foggy Cheshire this morning.....

Kind regards

Phil

#2827 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 13:30

Originally posted by Phil Rainford

Kind regards

Phil

...likewise the Garden of England, great article on the Lola T70 :up:

#2828 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,760 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 14:15

Originally posted by Phil Rainford

Kind regards

Phil

Mine has just landed on the door mat in equally foggy Merseyside! Still no reponse from Motor Sport to my email!

:wave:

#2829 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 15:59

Just recieved here too.At first glance seems to be too much on Lewis Hamilton :eek:

#2830 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,426 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 16:05

Originally posted by Rob29
At first glance seems to be too much on Lewis Hamilton :eek:

However much that MS prints on Hamilton, I doubt if it will ever even remotely approach the manic overkill that Autosport did on Mansell in the early '90s....

Tom

#2831 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 16:10

Has also been received in SW Hertfordshire

#2832 delta

delta

• 35 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 16:19

Bought my copy this morning. "dont know why" as i have said before like to dream about the cars for sale but getting fed up with that now as none of the dealers are placing any prices in the adverts. "very boring" ):

#2833 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,760 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 16:30

Originally posted by delta
... like to dream about the cars for sale but getting fed up with that now as none of the dealers are placing any prices in the adverts.

I have noticed that too; I suppose they go on the principle that if you have to ask the price you can't afford it!

Also why oh why so many adverts for watches? :

#2834 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 18:14

[dons newsagent hat again] As with the December issue, which attracted similar comments, this is more than likely the news wholesalers sending stock out early due to pressure of space in their warehouses, which aren't really designed for long-term bulk storage. In the next week they have to cope with three issues of TV magazines, including the double Christmas ones, which sell twice as many as the usual ones. Plus double issues of quite a few women's mags which the publishers also supply in extra quantities (against all logic).

Don't be surprised if the February issue turns up between Christmas and New Year ....;)

#2835 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 19:15

I've been a bit disappointed with some recent MS cover choices, which seem to be aimed at grabbing the attention of what I imagine to be typical Autosport buyers, and really don't reflect the magazine's style or contents. My copy only arrived this morning, so I haven't had much more than a quick flick through it so far, but with a feature titled '50 Years of British World Champions', surely it would have been more appropriate to have Mike Hawthorn on the cover, rather than yet another boy-band type portrait of Lewis Hamilton. How many times has he graced the cover in recent months? Off-topic now, but is it possible to be both brilliant and over-rated at the same time? The Hamilton publicity machine is starting to get up my nose more than somewhat.

#2836 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,426 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 20:06

Don't know, but I suspect that it is the market at work. If readers of the magazine were not buying the watches, the watch manufacturers would not advertise in it. Right, Vitesse 2?
Tom

#2837 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 22:14

Originally posted by kayemod
I've been a bit disappointed with some recent MS cover choices, which seem to be aimed at grabbing the attention of what I imagine to be typical Autosport buyers, and really don't reflect the magazine's style or contents. My copy only arrived this morning, so I haven't had much more than a quick flick through it so far, but with a feature titled '50 Years of British World Champions', surely it would have been more appropriate to have Mike Hawthorn on the cover, rather than yet another boy-band type portrait of Lewis Hamilton. How many times has he graced the cover in recent months? Off-topic now, but is it possible to be both brilliant and over-rated at the same time? The Hamilton publicity machine is starting to get up my nose more than somewhat.

Mike Hawthorn is in the background of the cover.

I enjoy the magazine- I think they're achieving a good balance between the old and the new. :up:

#2838 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 22:28

Because the watch manufacturers are prepared to pay for the adverts. Simple as that.

#2839 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 23:47

Originally posted by PRD

Mike Hawthorn is in the background of the cover.

I enjoy the magazine- I think they're achieving a good balance between the old and the new. :up:

Well yes, I'm not blind, but don't you think it should have been the other way around?

Advertisement

#2840 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 00:24

Enjoyed Simon Taylors interview with Wattie. Would've liked a bit more depth on his racing in Ireland at places such as Dunboyne but I guess space precluded that. Also nice to read that he loved the challenge of Rouen even if it did bite him somewhat !!

Just need the BBC to employ him for their F1 coverage instead of Jordan given that Wattie has an appreciation of the sports history whereas Eddie just seems to have an appreciation of his own history :rolleyes:

#2841 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 00:28

Eddie Jordan is a somewhat entertaining character though, he's the kind of person who may be a little controversial from time to time and say what he really thinks. The same goes for David Coulthard, who [i]sounds[/] as dull as dishwater, but says what he thinks regardless.

#2842 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:03

Paul, the problem is that I'm not interested in what Eddie Jordan thinks given his past track record of distorting events in his favour ( eg I discovered M Schumacher etc ) whereas I think DC will be quite entertaining as he has quite a dry sense of humour and is prepared to laugh at himself.

Chris

#2843 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:00

For some intelligent insight Watson or Damon Hill please.I am pleased that BBC retaining Brundle- who is superb but could really do without that gobshite Jordan.Magazine excellent- and perfectly ok to feature Hamilton - just needs to be kept in proportion.Incidentally utterly disagree that should Hawthorn have been in foreground .Why kayemod ?

#2844 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 18:23

Well yes, I'm not blind, but don't you think it should have been the other way around?

No, I don't think that. I do think they could have found a picture of Mike and had him standing next to Lewis
so that the less well informed could compare and contrast.

#2845 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:06

Originally posted by PRD

No, I don't think that. I do think they could have found a picture of Mike and had him standing next to Lewis
so that the less well informed could compare and contrast.

Compare and contrast what, from a magazine cover pic? Haircuts?

This is the curmudgeon in me coming out, but I think that MotorSport is currently carrying too much on current 'Effwun', they should leave this to aspirant tabloids like Autosport. This isn't intended as a slight to young Lewis, but my version of this month's cover would have the lad Photoshopped into the breast pocket of someone of real stature like Jim Clark or Sir Jackie. I'm not questioning Hamilton's innate talent, but how many novice tactical and driving errors did either of those two make on the way to their multiple championships?

#2846 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:25

Compare and contrast what, from a magazine cover pic? Haircuts?

Image- the mobile advertisement vs the bow tie

#2847 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,600 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:34

It is precisely to attract the "less well informed" that there is a shot of Hamilton on the cover. It is about attracting new/er readers on a regular basis. We have had this discussion before. It is a broad-church magazine reflecting motor racing of old, plus an awareness of modern F1, not an historic racing club magazine. There are others which specialise more for that. I thought that NSR had made that clear when he took over the hot chair. The content now is what you are likely to get. It is a commercial venture, and I suspect that the new owner has a long way to go before he starts counting the profits. It is just the same process which Charles March has had to make at Revival; the purist vs ticket sales. The magazine has come a very long way so far, especially responding well, IMHO, to the the concerns expressed by die-hards like ourselves, who represent a small amount of their readership, I suspect. Some would condiser it a slight to young Lewis if his face did not have a prominent place on this issue.
Roger Lund.

#2848 john ruston

john ruston

• 960 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:39

Does it matter who is on the front cover,its whats inside that counts and as for Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart having unblemished records I,I don't think so.That was then and now's now.If they want new readers to start looking at the mag they must show LH or similar ideas to get them interested and involved.The Goodwood analogy is spot on

#2849 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 18:05

Absolutely - the fact that I am interested in historical motorsport should not be taken to mean that I am not interested in its modern manifestation.The past was a different country ,but a great driver is still a great driver.And having watched motorsport for 40 odd years I can't say everything has changed for the worst - it hasn't.And I would rate LH very highly in my pantheon..can't blame the lad for being borne in the wrong decade nor for not driving a Vanwall nor having a bow tie habit .. Strange too that the most mistake ridden of the greats - the sainted Gilles- is rarely criticised for his mistakes...

#2850 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,354 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 20:02

Originally posted by bradbury west
It is precisely to attract the "less well informed" that there is a shot of Hamilton on the cover. It is about attracting new/er readers on a regular basis. We have had this discussion before. It is a broad-church magazine reflecting motor racing of old, plus an awareness of modern F1, not an historic racing club magazine. There are others which specialise more for that. I thought that NSR had made that clear when he took over the hot chair. The content now is what you are likely to get. It is a commercial venture, and I suspect that the new owner has a long way to go before he starts counting the profits. It is just the same process which Charles March has had to make at Revival; the purist vs ticket sales. The magazine has come a very long way so far, especially responding well, IMHO, to the the concerns expressed by die-hards like ourselves, who represent a small amount of their readership, I suspect. Some would condiser it a slight to young Lewis if his face did not have a prominent place on this issue.
Roger Lund.

Another agreement here. Roger's point about "counting the profits" is very valid. Overall, magazine sales are down this year - despite the received wisdom in the industry that they do well in a recession (which ignores the fact that there was no Net and no multi-channel TV in the early 90s) - so just to tread water they will need to attract new buyers.

Whatever, there will be closures and amalgamations. In the classics/racing sector 'Octane' - given its comparatively low circulation - is probably the most vulnerable: it was bailed out by Dennis Publishing and even though Felix Dennis still has deep pockets, he's also a realist ...