'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2851 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 22:04

[i]Originally posted by Vitesse2
....Whatever, there will be closures and amalgamations. In the classics/racing sector 'Octane' - given its comparatively low circulation......

And bearing in mind the traumas hitting the parent group of Classic Cars, it is interesting to see a piece on Tony Crook in MS penned by Martin Gurdon, a Classic Cars writer, and Bristol owner. If Octane goes I will miss the columns by Tony Dron, Nick Mason and Jay Leno. - btw, just as well MS does features on posh watches
RL

Advertisement

#2852 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 23:38

Originally posted by bradbury west
.... Nick Mason ....
RL

Well, as Nick's current column says he will only be an occasional contributor from now on, I wonder who they'll replace him with as "the enthusiast"?

#2853 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,843 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:43

Originally posted by Stephen W
During my morning trip into town today I wandered into WH Smiths and was shocked to see the January 2009 Issue of Motor Sport on the shelves. Usually my Subscription Copy has arrived before WH Smiths get their copies so I will be sending a SNOT-O-GRAM forthwith!

:mad:

I know that people outside the UK will not even have had the December issue yet but you would think they would at least ensure their "local" subscribers were given priority!

:

The response arived late yesterday:

Dear Steve
You should get the magazine before it is in the shops but unfortunately it mailed on Thursday not Tuesday as scheduled, the delivery to shops was also late, but is quicker than the post. I am sorry about this, we do aim to get it to you early and will try to do so next year.
Many thanks

This from Martin Nott, part of the Publishing Team.

:wave:

#2854 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 14:08

Originally posted by john ruston
...and as for Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart having unblemished records, I don't think so.

I've nothing to add to what I said earlier, men of real stature etc, but that comment of yours is fighting talk on TNF. I was talking about all the novice driving and tactical errors from young Hamilton that screwed up last year for him and nearly did the same in 2008. Like I said, Novice errors, how do you manage to drag the sainted Clark & Stewart into that?

#2855 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 15:28

And bearing in mind the traumas hitting the parent group of Classic Cars,
RL

Pray tell us more, as I seem to have missed this. Martin G. is of course a freelance writer so quite entitled to have his work published by whoever will help pay the bills, though still has his regular column in Classic Cars.

#2856 john aston

john aston

• 841 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by kayemod

I've nothing to add to what I said earlier, men of real stature etc, but that comment of yours is fighting talk on TNF. I was talking about all the novice driving and tactical errors from young Hamilton that screwed up last year for him and nearly did the same in 2008. Like I said, Novice errors, how do you manage to drag the sainted Clark & Stewart into that?

John Aston rather than Rutson here but the fact that Stewart had an unblemished track record (really ..can't be bothered to check but even Homer nods from time to time ) doesn't make him an inherently better driver than someone who pushes the envelope a bit.And in these sanitised days there is certainly room to do so compared to JYS' era.

Rather unfair- with the exception below- to term LH 's errors 'novice'- he pushed very hard and sometimes too hard. Mistakes caused by seizing the moment I can live with.And yeah - I can't say anything at all to defend LH's assault on Raikkonen at 50 mph

#2857 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:11

[i]Originally posted by Odseybod
Pray tell us more, as I seem to have missed this. ]

I understood that Emap's difficulties in the trying world of radio/TV/magazines etc had been well covered in the business press.
RL

#2858 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:23

Can anyone direct me to the site that details the UK magazine circulation figures? I recall a link to it some time ago, but I've changed computers since then and don't have it anymore.

#2859 john ruston

john ruston

• 976 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:35

Jim Clark was in my opinion the best of all the drivers but the ROC incident at Brands 65 was Driver error.Jackie Stewart,so much better than he is given credit for,had the Matra F2 incident and the Masta kink in 66.I was at both Brands and Spa and think mistakes happen to all drivers,its one of those things that come with the job,The German fellow had his share.
It does not diminish their status in any way but grumpy old men carping on about LH is stupid and unfounded.It is all so much more competitive these days and drivers presumably approach their job from a different perspective as it now has long term prospects unlike the old days.

As for fighting talk,its a different opinion.may not be correct ,but its different.Seems to be a lot of follow the leader on TNF .Understand it if you are making points against someones business and work but the rest of us should be open.Its only a game.DSJ spent two hours giving me a lecture about drivers and driving when we sat on the bank on the outside of Burneville in 67 GP practise.Clark was head and shoulders above the rest .Stewart could not be judged as he was in H16.DSJ would have been a major LH fan .

Advertisement

#2860 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 20:47

I understood that Emap's difficulties in the trying world of radio/TV/magazines etc had been well covered in the business press.
RL

Certainly are - or were. But Classic Cars has been part of the Bauer media group since the beginning of the year, together with Practical Classics.

#2861 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 20:54

[DSJ would have been a major LH fan . [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly,.....and for me, that's the ultimate acid test. :up:

#2862 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 21:07

[i]Originally posted by Odseybod
Certainly are - or were. But Classic Cars has been part of the Bauer media group since the beginning of the year, together with Practical Classics. [/B]

OOOps
RL

#2863 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 22:06

Originally posted by Andrew Stevens
Can anyone direct me to the site that details the UK magazine circulation figures? I recall a link to it some time ago, but I've changed computers since then and don't have it anymore.

Simple as ABC;) Without a subscription you can only view the most recent figures. And not all magazines are included - participation is voluntary.

#2864 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 22:17

Thanks for that! Having been in the motoring book trade and selling the magazines, I'm always interested in such things. Pretty sad really... :|

#2865 Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

• 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 23:47

Originally posted by josefk
Don't know if any of you Motorsport malcontents have checked out Grand Prix + yet. It's an e-magazine run by Joe Saward, David Tremayne and Paul Cahier. Plops in the inbox neatly and you can print it off in glorious technicolour if you wish. I subscribed as a try out as you got free access to all the back issues as well.

What really surprised and pleased me was the number of historical articles backed up with fantastic old photographs, great Phil Hill article for example. The photography is stunning.

Well worth a look in the humble opinion of a recent subscriber with no connections. (the Brazil issue was free online as a teaser last I looked)

Can you give more info on how to locate this e-zine. Perhaps I am being obtuse, but I google'd grand Prix + and came up with nothing.

#2866 mgtd

mgtd

• 135 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 23:54

Hello Folks,

Just try www.grandprixplus.com.....haven't read the first page yet,looks interesting

mgtd

#2867 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 00:58

Grand Prix +

It appears to only take PayPal, so a No Go for me right there.

#2868 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:06

The Telegraph interview with Felix Dennis linked on the Octane thread indicates that he sees e-magazines as the way forward.
RL

#2869 Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

• 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:49

Thanks!

#2870 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:00

Don, I'm not 100% certain but I think, in this case, they are simply using PayPal as the collection account - in which case you can pay into it by credit card without needing a PayPal account of your own.
(That's assuming your concern was access rather than some particular objection to PayPal.)
Perhaps those more IT-savvy than I can confirm...?

#2871 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:35

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Grand Prix +

It appears to only take PayPal, so a No Go for me right there.

Looks very amateur? I certainly wouldn't pay £25 a year for it as there is absolutely nothing unique in it. And also something like GPWeek is available for free.

#2872 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:32

At the moment, anyway.

#2873 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 18:40

I was disappointed to see Roebuck's piece on Casablanca 1958 in the November issue, (latest one here...), trot out the old nonsense about the disc brakes from Peter Collins' road-going Ferrari being transplanted to Hawthorn's race car. ):

#2874 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,189 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 19:35

Has the Collins Dunlop disc brake story been disproved?
I have to confess that my latest Ferrari reference book for that period is Hans Tanner 4th edition, revised 1974, which cites the story as gospel.

Edited: to answer my question - Yes it has, cf Mon Ami Mate Chapter 7.

#2875 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 23:11

On Saturday, the 1000th issue finally arrived. Words fail me. Much ado about relatively little it would seem.

#2876 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 23:57

Yesterday, 8 December 2008, I received my copy of the 1000th Issue of the Grand Old British automobile magazine MOTORSPORT "The magazine that gave its name to the sport." MOTORSPORT was founded in 1924 and has been the standard bearer for all things motorized since.

I started reading the magazine around 1956-57. It was hard to find in the magazine stores of the day, but persistence prevailed and I would find it somehow. Road & Track and the writings of Bernard Cahier and Henry Manney III gave me one perspective while Denis Jenkinson and the photography of Louis Klementaski among others, introduced me to Goodwood, Aintree, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps, Reims and Monza! Inside the Green cover were four to six slick pages of photographs like Moss and Salvadori at Silverstone's Woodcote Corner in identical Aston Martin DB3S' headed straight toward an ant level photographer! Real exciting stuff!

For a young kid from Wethersfield, Connecticut, these were the best of times. I had started an on again, off again correspondence with Stirling Moss, I had been to Thompson and Watkins Glen, I had joined The Ecurie Ecosse Association, life was beautiful!

I continued buying MOTORSPORT as best as possible and then I went into the military. No place to keep a collection of magazines. Oh, I'd buy the occasional copy but, I made up for it by going to those places I had dreamed about – The Nurburgring, Spa, Zandvoort, Reims!

While I was in the service, my mother, bless her heart, threw all my books and magazines and records away! I can never recover most of my collection from those days. But, there are times when I close my eyes and see those old photographs...

So I made up for the that loss by writing about the events and covering the events freelance. Occasionally finding a paper or magazine to print my stuff. I got involved with people like EFDA's Dan Partel, I created the Ford AeroSpace Team, a racing fan's club for the employees at Palo Alto, California's Ford Aerospace, Western Development Laboratories and a newsletter called FastLines!

Before I de-rail this train, let's go back to why I started this. MOTORSPORT! If you don't go out of your way to obtain a copy of the 1000th Issue of MOTORSPORT, you need your head examined! By the way, you may need a forklift or maybe a Steinbock Gabelstabler to carry the magazine!

The ever smiling

Gil Bouffard

Come visit www.fastlinesinternational.com

#2877 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 00:02

Originally posted by Gil Bouffard

Before I de-rail this train, let's go back to why I started this. MOTORSPORT! If you don't go out of your way to obtain a copy of the 1000th Issue of MOTORSPORT, you need your head examined! By the way, you may need a forklift or maybe a Steinbock Gabelstabler to carry the magazine!

The ever smiling

Gil Bouffard

Come visit www.fastlinesinternational.com

Good post Gil :up: You commenced reading the mag about 10 years prior to me, I can still picture the Gulf GT40s, high up on the Daytona banking from the late '60s, it gets you like that :D

#2878 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:25

On Saturday, the 1000th issue finally arrived. Words fail me. Much ado about relatively little it would seem.

Have to agree. while there was a lot about Jenks, etc., it was not the epic anniversary blockbuster I had expected. But then again I had been forewarned by you chaps from the UK who get your issues a month and a half before I do!

I was rather hoping for a real look back with lots and lots of pages etc. Rather like Road &Track used to do, with fold outs of all the covers in its history etc. But of course now R&T, which has become just another version of Motor Trend, ignores its five year anniversaries which were such a big deal up until the 50th anniversary issue. After that nothing. But the mag has essentially been nothing, save Peter Egan, for years.
Tom

#2879 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:19

Has anyone been able to access 'Nigel's Answers' on the Motor Sport site? I got the usual notification, but when I click on the link I just get "Page not found", and I couldn't find the latest answers by searching the MS site either.

Advertisement

#2880 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:23

Has anyone been able to access 'Nigel's Answers' on the Motor Sport site? I got the usual notification, but when I click on the link I just get "Page not found", and I couldn't find the latest answers by searching the MS site either.

Nope. Just tried that myself ...

I've had similar problems with their RSS feeds - they usually work the next day though.

#2881 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:24

When I click on the link I just get "Page not found"

Me too

#2882 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 16:26

Still no luck with that link. Anyone else had any success trying to enter Nigel recently?

#2883 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 17:05

Still no luck with that link. Anyone else had any success trying to enter Nigel recently?

Yep. Got in the last several days.

#2884 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 21:13

Yep. Got in the last several days.

You sure about that Don?

I can access the site OK, and everything is fine, except that the Nigel bit hasn't been updated. Last month's content is still displayed, but no sign of the latest stuff, that MS have sent me an e-mail notification of. Like I said earlier, all I get is a "Page not found" message, and as it's the same site, you must be getting the same.

I just want to be able to enter Nigel, that's not too much to ask for is it, in this season of goodwill?

#2885 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 21:25

I just want to be able to enter Nigel, that's not too much to ask for is it, in this season of goodwill?

Well, no. But only between consenting adults ..... :lol:

But the problem is that linky no worky.

#2886 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 21:32

Originally posted by RA Historian
...there was a lot about Jenks, etc., it was not the epic anniversary blockbuster I had expected. But then again I had been forewarned by you chaps from the UK who get your issues a month and a half before I do!

I was rather hoping for a real look back with lots and lots of pages etc. Rather like Road &Track used to do, with fold outs of all the covers in its history etc. But of course now R&T, which has become just another version of Motor Trend, ignores its five year anniversaries which were such a big deal up until the 50th anniversary issue. After that nothing. But the mag has essentially been nothing, save Peter Egan, for years.
Tom

RA:

Anniversaries are a bit strange, at least to me. After all, it's just another milestone in the road, just another number. I got a little weary of R&T's seemingly constant and self-congratulatory anniversary issues, usually with the same contributors, etc., etc. Still, having survived 25 years in the car magazine business, I got a kick out of the 1,000th issue of MS, not so much from the racing material but for the Jenks insights and the behind-the-scenes look at the peculiarities of the Tee empire. I was looking for them to describe how some of Bill Boddy's later issues actually repeated parts of the classified ad sections, evidently to fill space at the last minute, but perhaps it's too early for them to criticize God.

Frank

#2887 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 21:41

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Well, no. But only between consenting adults ..... :lol:

But the problem is that linky no worky.

There's nothing wrong with a little innuendo, as they say in Italy...

#2888 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:15

You sure about that Don?

I can access the site OK, and everything is fine, except that the Nigel bit hasn't been updated. Last month's content is still displayed, but no sign of the latest stuff, that MS have sent me an e-mail notification of. Like I said earlier, all I get is a "Page not found" message, and as it's the same site, you must be getting the same.

From what I have seen, assuming that I haven't been making detours into The Twilight Zone, you have not missed much of anything. The usual stuff which could have been written by anyone.

#2889 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 18:59

Originally posted by fbarrett
Anniversaries are a bit strange, at least to me. After all, it's just another milestone in the road, just another number.

Tell THAT to my wife!! :|

#2890 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:47

It's arrived! Is this a record? Vittesse said it would come early, but this is unheard of! A quick flick through looks promising, we still have guests arriving though :D

#2891 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,843 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:30

Originally posted by sterling49
It's arrived! Is this a record? Vittesse said it would come early, but this is unheard of! A quick flick through looks promising, we still have guests arriving though :D

What is going on? Why are they publishing February's magazine in December? :confused:

#2892 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:39

Originally posted by Stephen W

What is going on? Why are they publishing February's magazine in December? :confused:

I'm only halfway through January, and it's still only December.

#2893 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:41

This must really confuse overseas subscribers :)

#2894 mfd

mfd

• 2,906 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:19

I'm only halfway through January, and it's still only December.

At this rate, we'll get the Dec 09 issue in September - anyone ever checked to make sure there isn't 13 months in a year? :confused:

#2895 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:32

This must really confuse overseas subscribers :)

Don't think so, they are all used to being several hours adrift due to time zones, so a month or two shouldn't really confuse them.

#2896 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:37

You subbers get something for your money ? Or is it allready Aprils fool ?

#2897 alansart

alansart

• 4,053 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:55

Got mine this morning. Looking forward to the Lunch with David Piper interview.

I spent the weekend before Christmas at Center Parcs near Penrith, and for a change had the time to read the whole issue before the next one arrived. Can't beat sitting by a pool nice and warm, while it's cold and wet outside, beer in one hand, MS in the other. :D

#2898 Ben H

Ben H

• 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 14:01

I remember the corrseponding issue dropping on my mat on Chirstmas Eve last year?! This months issue looked a bit thin but flicking through, it still seems jam packed with good stuff as usual, should be a good read!

#2899 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 486 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 14:46

Don't think so, they are all used to being several hours adrift due to time zones, so a month or two shouldn't really confuse them.

Hah, do not under-estimate our ability to be confused by Motor Sport publishing dates ;)

Advertisement

#2900 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 21:59

Not sure who checks the articles before inclusion but Eoin Youngs piece on Carraciolas trophies in the Feb edition stated that the 1.5 litre Mercs won the Tunis Grand Prix in their only outing. And there's me thinking it was at Tripoli that they won :