Jump to content


Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2901 ian senior

ian senior
  • Member

  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined: September 02

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:59

I would willingly have paid ten times the cover price for the David Piper interview alone - this was Motor Sport at its best. What a great guy - it's people like Pipes that keep my interest in motor racing alive. May he live for ever.

On a more sour note, I notice that once again Nigel Roebuck cannot miss the opportunity to give us yet another small rant about Gordon Brown. Well, here's my own small rant - give it a bloody rest, Nigel. We know your opinions on that man, and it's very, very boring to keep hearing them.

Advertisement

#2902 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,567 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 31 December 2008 - 15:21

[i]Originally posted by ian senior ]I would willingly have paid ten times the cover price for the David Piper interview alone - this was Motor Sport at its best. ]

The quality and enjoyment of the Piper article is an especial bonus for me as this month's issue marks the 600th copy of MS which I have bought, and completes my 50 years as a reader of the magazine. My thanks to all who have made it so enjoyable over the half century.
Exits stage left to collect gold watch
Roger Lund

#2903 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,877 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 31 December 2008 - 15:43

Originally posted by ian senior
On a more sour note, I notice that once again Nigel Roebuck cannot miss the opportunity to give us yet another small rant about Gordon Brown. Well, here's my own small rant - give it a bloody rest, Nigel. We know your opinions on that man, and it's very, very boring to keep hearing them.

But this is the Roebuck style Ian, if he likes a man, it gets repeated - Andretti, Villeneuve, Prost. If he doesn't - Brown, Blair etc. He is at best, consistent :D

#2904 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:16

Originally posted by bradbury west

The quality and enjoyment of the Piper article is an especial bonus for me as this month's issue marks the 600th copy of MS which I have bought, and completes my 50 years as a reader of the magazine. My thanks to all who have made it so enjoyable over the half century.
Exits stage left to collect gold watch
Roger Lund

Sorry Roger, I have 636 consecutive issues of Road & Track and when I passed the 50 year mark two years ago I did not get anything ): ......

Of course the difference here is that Motor Sport keeps getting better, while R&T has gone precipitously in the other direction, but that is an item for another thread and another time...

Tom

#2905 john aston

john aston
  • Member

  • 806 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:41

Roebuck is a fine journalist and whilst I admire some passion and strong opinion about the sport I really could do without his Daily Mail mumblings about politics- it is lazy to assume (as I suspect he does ) that to share a sport is to share the same politics.

And what a bloody star David Piper is- knew that already but reading about his racing life in the 60s ...wow.Just a shame about all the friends you had to lose....

Also loved Roebuck's piece on the Ensign launch.

#2906 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 6,988 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:29

I couldn't help but notice that in the "Lunch with... David Piper" article, they photo captioned David in his Ferrari "heading for second in the 1969 TT." He did infact place second, but in his Lola T70MK3B. So where and when was this photo taken?

#2907 Alan Cox

Alan Cox
  • Member

  • 7,627 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:53

Originally posted by Giraffe
So where and when was this photo taken?


1968 TT Old Hall Corner, Oulton Park, when Piper finished 2nd, sharing with Dickie Attwood.

#2908 idrive

idrive
  • New Member

  • 23 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:10

It's a lovely mag, but here in South Africa costs the same as 4 packets of 20 cigarettes ........ no, I don't smoke!

#2909 mwphoto

mwphoto
  • Member

  • 117 posts
  • Joined: November 04

Posted 01 January 2009 - 13:12

Could anyone with the February issue let me know if there is a mention or picture of a Porsche 911 (#26) raced in IMSA at Mid-Ohio or Road America by Tim Selby/Earl Roe here in the U.S during the early 1980's.

Thanks,
Mark Windecker

#2910 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford
  • Member

  • 5,289 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 January 2009 - 13:33

Originally posted by mwphoto
Could anyone with the February issue let me know if there is a mention or picture of a Porsche 911 (#26) raced in IMSA at Mid-Ohio or Road America by Tim Selby/Earl Roe here in the U.S during the early 1980's.

Thanks,
Mark Windecker



Mark,

There is indeed an article on a Tim Selby 911 it even makes the front cover....

www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2008/12/24/latest-issue-february-2009/

...you can see the article on this webpage ( The front cover showing is last month's cover and will no doubt be updated soon)

Hope this helps?

Kind regards

Phil

#2911 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 6,988 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 06 January 2009 - 19:56

Originally posted by Giraffe
I couldn't help but notice that in the "Lunch with... David Piper" article, they photo captioned David in his Ferrari "heading for second in the 1969 TT." He did infact place second, but in his Lola T70MK3B. So where aPosted Image
By giraffe138nd when was this photo taken?


David Piper's Lola T70Mk3B at the TT at Oulton, 1969. You can just see David's head in the far left of the shot!

#2912 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford
  • Member

  • 5,289 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 07 January 2009 - 20:24

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwphoto
[B]Could anyone with the February issue let me know if there is a mention or picture of a Porsche 911 (#26) raced in IMSA at Mid-Ohio or Road America by Tim Selby/Earl Roe here in the U.S during the early 1980's.

Thanks,
Mark Windecker


www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2008/12/19/latest-issue-february-2009/

Now updated with the correct front cover showing the 911.....

Kind regards

Phil

#2913 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford
  • Member

  • 5,289 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 09 January 2009 - 20:07

Originally posted by mwphoto
Could anyone with the February issue let me know if there is a mention or picture of a Porsche 911 (#26) raced in IMSA at Mid-Ohio or Road America by Tim Selby/Earl Roe here in the U.S during the early 1980's.

Thanks,
Mark Windecker


A couple of shots of the car off the " Motor Sport " stand at the Autosport Show...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2914 Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
  • Member

  • 65 posts
  • Joined: January 07

Posted 11 January 2009 - 23:51

Speaking to someone on the Motor Sport stand yesterday (at the NEC Autosports Show) they are working on the 1930s and 1940s for the next set of discs. Not sure when these would be available.

#2915 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,567 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 12 January 2009 - 00:22

I am surprised that no one has picked up on the excellent item by DCN on the Short Bros 'plane from 1920 which featured a rivetted alloy monocoque construction akin to our much loved modern racing cars, especially the aero-structure Ferrari F1, but with a propellor where our gearboxes are.
Roger Lund

#2916 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,132 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:39

Originally posted by Paul Jeffrey
Speaking to someone on the Motor Sport stand yesterday (at the NEC Autosports Show) they are working on the 1930s and 1940s for the next set of discs. Not sure when these would be available.


That sounds fantastic. I've just subscribed and went for the 1960s, but the 1930s would be just an attractive proposition.

#2917 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 23,850 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:55

Originally posted by Paul Jeffrey
Speaking to someone on the Motor Sport stand yesterday (at the NEC Autosports Show) they are working on the 1930s and 1940s for the next set of discs. Not sure when these would be available.

They told me it would be "some time in early 2009" when I asked a couple of months ago. I also asked if they'd be including 'Speed', but - sadly - that looks unlikely, as they apparently don't have copies themselves :

But as Beaulieu has a full run of them, maybe if enough of us ask ....

#2918 Doug Nye

Doug Nye
  • Member

  • 8,314 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:40

Or...they could ask me, for a start... :cool:

DCN

#2919 Hieronymus

Hieronymus
  • Member

  • 2,031 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 12 January 2009 - 18:48

Originally posted by idrive
It's a lovely mag, but here in South Africa costs the same as 4 packets of 20 cigarettes ........ no, I don't smoke!


The last price I saw was something like R120 (about 11 Euro). Dump the cigarettes (and MOTOR SPORT), buy beer...24 x 330ml, FOR THE SAME PRICE!!!

Advertisement

#2920 D-Type

D-Type
  • Member

  • 8,022 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:03

It's finally happened to me ):

This month my copy didn't arrive. I left it for a week or so to let the dust settle after Chrismas and last week I e-mailed them and asked why and also asked why I haven't yet received my 50's CD. Today i got a reply - it appears that for some reason when changing from a quarterly subscription to the two-yearly one the direct debit was declined (I suspect because they used out of date details).

But why, why, why didn't the subscriptions dept contact me and say there was a problem?

Customer care? :down:

#2921 retriever

retriever
  • Member

  • 392 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 January 2009 - 20:31

Really annoying - once again Motorsport is on sale in Sainburys whilst my subscription copy has yet to be delivered!

#2922 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,567 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 29 January 2009 - 20:39

Originally posted by retriever
Really annoying - once again Motorsport is on sale in Sainburys whilst my subscription copy has yet to be delivered!

This has been covered, and fully explained, more than amply previously. Just do not browse through it in JS, and keep anticipating
Roger Lund

#2923 bigears

bigears
  • Member

  • 867 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 29 January 2009 - 21:30

I have just realised today then I haven't received my magazine yet.

I should be starting on a new subscription this month and I have already paid for it back in late November.

#2924 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 23,850 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 30 January 2009 - 00:29

Originally posted by retriever
Really annoying - once again Motorsport is on sale in Sainburys whilst my subscription copy has yet to be delivered!

[Dons newsagent hat (again)] It seems that both Motor Sport and Octane are attempting to steal a march on Classic & Sports Car by advancing their newsstand publication dates by a week. Not too many months ago all three were publishing in the first week of the month (which would have meant - for example - the March issues appearing on the first Thursday in February). Now, Motor Sport and Octane are working 5-6 weeks ahead compared to the issue date, so their March issues have arrived on the last Thursday in January.

Motor Sport have advanced their publication date by three weeks in three years: it takes the subscription agencies a while to catch up, because they have to re-jig their schedules to accommodate these changes. [Puts newsagent hat away again]

Back on topic: enjoyed Lunch with Paddy Hopkirk immensely - and DCN's Falcon piece - I'd have loved to read more of Ramponi's memoirs though ....

#2925 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:54

Fellows, not too much sympathy here because you have not received your March issues yet. Over on this side of the pond we are still waiting for February to arrive. :(
Tom

#2926 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:52

Originally posted by RA Historian
Fellows, not too much sympathy here because you have not received your March issues yet. Over on this side of the pond we are still waiting for February to arrive. :(
Tom


Tom,

As I walked thorugh Heathrow a week or so ago to catch the next leg of my flight from Dulles to Kuwait, I saw an issue of Motor Sport that will not arrive in my doorstep back in NoVa for some weeks to come.... I almost bought it, but I had other things to deal with at the moment (LHR being LHR, that meant changes to boarding times and other similar irritants) and never got around to it.

#2927 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:48

Originally posted by RA Historian
Fellows, not too much sympathy here because you have not received your March issues yet. Over on this side of the pond we are still waiting for February to arrive. :(
Tom


Mine arrived last weekend, but it certainly varies from month to month.

#2928 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath
  • Member

  • 483 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:52

has anyone got any comments on the digitised motor sport magaziunes on CD/DVD are they truly searchable ie every last bit on every page including adds?
comments welcome
regards terry

#2929 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson
  • Member

  • 2,534 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 30 January 2009 - 13:31

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
has anyone got any comments on the digitised motor sport magaziunes on CD/DVD are they truly searchable ie every last bit on every page including adds?
comments welcome
regards terry


I have the 60s & 70s CDs. They seem OK to me, however without reading every single page, difficult to say if any of my searches have been missed. But yes, it finds the words you are looking for in reports, articles, results and ads. Very clever, how does it do it? Each page is scanned (obviously) from old back issues, so in effect they are scanning a printed page/photo. Did someone have to copy type in everything...or is there advanced software that can recognise words just from a scan?

I have yet to print one of the pages, but they blow up OK on the screen to read them.
Now come on Autosport, we need a similar thing, but as a 'weekly' they would probably only get 2-3 years worth on each CD. The cost may be prohibitive.

#2930 wdm

wdm
  • Member

  • 163 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 30 January 2009 - 13:35

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
has anyone got any comments on the digitised motor sport magaziunes on CD/DVD are they truly searchable ie every last bit on every page including adds?

Yes: everything, including ads, is searchable.

Searching, however, seems to be based upon the magazine scans having been put through character-recognition software without any further (manual) editing, so I've found it pays to be creative in what you search for (e.g. after searching for whole words/names, etc. try searching for parts thereof...)

#2931 Kpy

Kpy
  • Member

  • 1,188 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 30 January 2009 - 13:39

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson


Did someone have to copy type in everything...or is there advanced software that can recognise words just from a scan?


There certainly is. I use a programme called ScanSoft OmniPage Pro, which is excellent, but there are others.
I also use a programme called Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which recognises words just from a microphone.

#2932 bill p

bill p
  • Member

  • 358 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 30 January 2009 - 14:50

Mine arrived last weekend, but it certainly varies from month to month.



The same happens in the UK for American Mags. I received my subscription copy of Jan/Feb 2009 Vintage Motorsport on 20 January which has been on USA newsstands since mid-Dec 2008.

#2933 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 30 January 2009 - 14:56

Originally posted by bill p
The same happens in the UK for American Mags. I received my subscription copy of Jan/Feb 2009 Vintage Motorsport on 20 January which has been on USA newsstands since mid-Dec 2008.

I must really live in the twilight zone of the Postal Service. Vintage Motorsport may have been on the US newstands in mid December, but my subscription copy did not arrive here in Wisconsin until early January.
Tom

#2934 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,659 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:39

Originally posted by RA Historian
I must really live in the twilight zone of the Postal Service. Vintage Motorsport may have been on the US newstands in mid December, but my subscription copy did not arrive here in Wisconsin until early January.
Tom


It only arrived in my local newsagents earlier this week.

#2935 D-Type

D-Type
  • Member

  • 8,022 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 30 January 2009 - 22:50

Somehow they have sent me two copies of the 1950's DVD. Anybody got a 1960's they'd like to swap? Or, if you're contemplating getting the 1950's whether by paying or taking up the subscription offer, get the sixties instead and contact me. I'll pay postage in all cases.

#2936 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,811 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 30 January 2009 - 23:12

Mine arrived today, have not looked through it yet, but read DCN's great article on touring car racing and Gentleman Jack's Galaxie, takes me back, as I saw him race it when I was a bit younger ;)

#2937 Mark A

Mark A
  • Member

  • 1,119 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 30 January 2009 - 23:14

Originally posted by RA Historian
I must really live in the twilight zone of the Postal Service. Vintage Motorsport may have been on the US newstands in mid December, but my subscription copy did not arrive here in Wisconsin until early January.
Tom


My subscription copy arrived in the UK on Monday.

#2938 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath
  • Member

  • 483 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 30 January 2009 - 23:41

It would be cheaper than buying a set of Autosport and who has that much spare space?
terry


Now come on Autosport, we need a similar thing, but as a 'weekly' they would probably only get 2-3 years worth on each CD. The cost may be prohibitive.

#2939 john aston

john aston
  • Member

  • 806 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:26

Originally posted by sterling49
Mine arrived today, have not looked through it yet, but read DCN's great article on touring car racing and Gentleman Jack's Galaxie, takes me back, as I saw him race it when I was a bit younger ;)


I thought DCN was a bit unfair about touring cars - or saloon cars.Yes it did degenarate into the current crashfest with the advent of the 2 litre formula but its immediate predecessor was absolutely brilliant.What was there not to like about 500bhp Sierras ? I also had a soft spot for the Rover 3500s and 635s , and before that for Yogi's Camaro et al.

Advertisement

#2940 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,659 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:32

Originally posted by john aston


I thought DCN was a bit unfair about touring cars - or saloon cars.Yes it did degenarate into the current crashfest with the advent of the 2 litre formula but its immediate predecessor was absolutely brilliant.What was there not to like about 500bhp Sierras ? I also had a soft spot for the Rover 3500s and 635s , and before that for Yogi's Camaro et al.


... and who could forget Frank Gardner in the Boss Mustang and the big Camaro? Then of course there was Bill McGovern's Imp; the Broadspeed Capri; the Alan Mann Escorts; etc etc etc.


:cool:

#2941 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson
  • Member

  • 2,534 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:54

Originally posted by john aston

What was there not to like about 500bhp Sierras ?

They were alright, but didn't make any noise. Racing cars should, loudly.Turbochargers do nothing for the senses.

#2942 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon
  • Member

  • 1,705 posts
  • Joined: November 99

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:26

To mildly diverge from the issue of long-awaited reception, has anyone here from outside the UK ordered the 2009 Motor Sport calendar? And if so, are they still waiting for it to arrive?

This is the third year running that my calendar's been late. Mid-January I contacted the magazine and they would dispatch a replacement calendar immediately. You guessed it, I'm still waiting for it.

I've just told them I'd rather have my money back now and won't on this and previous form order any more calendars in the future.

I think they should have a very strong word with their international dispatcher since I'm afraid that the intended receivers aren't the only ones to regard these calendars as collector's items...

#2943 ghinzani

ghinzani
  • Member

  • 1,990 posts
  • Joined: October 01

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:41

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
It would be cheaper than buying a set of Autosport and who has that much spare space?
terry


Now come on Autosport, we need a similar thing, but as a 'weekly' they would probably only get 2-3 years worth on each CD. The cost may be prohibitive.


I have bound 74-86 plus unbound from 86 to 2003/4 and it takes up a hell of a lot of space AND gets me untold gip from the wife. I would be tempted if Autosport was available on DVD for sure.

#2944 bill p

bill p
  • Member

  • 358 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:07

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
To mildly diverge from the issue of long-awaited reception, has anyone here from outside the UK ordered the 2009 Motor Sport calendar? And if so, are they still waiting for it to arrive?


Yes, I also suffered from my calendars arriving late January over the last few years with many phonecalls to chase up - I didn't bother ordering one this year

#2945 D-Type

D-Type
  • Member

  • 8,022 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 01 February 2009 - 22:57

Originally posted by D-Type
It's finally happened to me ):

This month my copy didn't arrive. I left it for a week or so to let the dust settle after Chrismas and last week I e-mailed them and asked why and also asked why I haven't yet received my 50's CD. Today i got a reply - it appears that for some reason when changing from a quarterly subscription to the two-yearly one the direct debit was declined (I suspect because they used out of date details).

But why, why, why didn't the subscriptions dept contact me and say there was a problem?

Customer care? :down:

Credit where credit's due. After Martin Nott (the publisher) got involved things happened and it all got sorted out.
Full marks to Martin for being prepared to get involved.

#2946 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon
  • Member

  • 1,705 posts
  • Joined: November 99

Posted 02 February 2009 - 20:49

Originally posted by bill p
Yes, I also suffered from my calendars arriving late January over the last few years with many phonecalls to chase up - I didn't bother ordering one this year


I will now have my money refunded, of course with the sincerest apologies and the assurance that the international dispatcher has gotten some serious stick... They seem to have a real problem with their overseas delivery.

#2947 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 23,850 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 16 February 2009 - 21:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2 in February 2008
It's ABC time again, with mixed news for motoring and motor sport magazines.

After withdrawing from ABC during the change of ownership, Motor Sport is back. No figures were produced for 2006, but I can give a comparison with 2005 which I think we're all agreed was a bit of a nadir.

Worldwide the average monthly sale is up 11.1% from 27325 to 30362. UK/RoI sales are up 10.6% from 19115 to 21153 and foreign sales 12.2% from 8210 to 9209. The UK retail (non-subscription) sales are up 6.8% from 7302 to 7822.

Considering the fortunes of motoring magazines in general and Autosport and Motorsport News in particular over the past two years, I'd say that's a more than satisfactory set of numbers for the new editorial team to build on.

February again, folks. I idly clicked on the ABC website tonight and was pleased to see that Motor Sport's new figures are available. It would appear that the new editorial team have indeed been building on those numbers.

That worldwide monthly sale figure has increased by a further 8.3% to 33210. UK/RoI sales are up 8.0% to 22846, foreign sales up 12.5% to 10364. UK retail sales are now 9330, a remarkable rise of 19.3%!

The trade analyses won't be available for about ten days, but there's a general gloom in the business at the moment - I expect to see some pretty disastrous numbers from some of the publishers across all categories. Motor Sport may very well turn out to be one of the stars this time round: in comparison, a quick calculation based on the UK newsstand sales only shows Motorsport News is down 22% year-on-year, Autosport down 15% and F1 Racing down 19%!

#2948 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 17 February 2009 - 22:48

Originally posted by ghinzani
I would be tempted if Autosport was available on DVD for sure.

Me too. The Motor Sport ones are pretty good.

#2949 JohnS

JohnS
  • Member

  • 295 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 17 February 2009 - 23:37

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
To mildly diverge from the issue of long-awaited reception, has anyone here from outside the UK ordered the 2009 Motor Sport calendar? And if so, are they still waiting for it to arrive?

This is the third year running that my calendar's been late. Mid-January I contacted the magazine and they would dispatch a replacement calendar immediately. You guessed it, I'm still waiting for it.

I've just told them I'd rather have my money back now and won't on this and previous form order any more calendars in the future.

I think they should have a very strong word with their international dispatcher since I'm afraid that the intended receivers aren't the only ones to regard these calendars as collector's items...


My calendar failed to arrive a few years ago, the year it was photos of the Targa Florio. I chased it several times, getting nowhere. Eventually I got through to the editor's PA. She was most apologetic. A large package arrived a few days later but to my disbelief they had sent the rally calendar, and not the Targa one.

Eventually, my wife went down to Teddington and collected it in person.

So I know what you're going through!

#2950 WDH74

WDH74
  • Member

  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:51

Originally posted by idrive
It's a lovely mag, but here in South Africa costs the same as 4 packets of 20 cigarettes ........ no, I don't smoke!


Here in Chicago a copy of Motor Sport is about a dollar more than a pack of smokes. You heard me...one pack of smokes. Two packs if I'm out in the suburbs (the sales tax on tobacco almost doubles the price in the city, over $8 here vs. $4 out there. Can't remember if it's county or city tax.).

We finally got the Feb issue on newsstands last week. Over the holidays I don't think most of the chain stores here in the city even got it, along with C&SC and EVO, all of which I ended up getting at the newsstand at NorthWestern Station...er, Ogilvie Transportation Center. The train stations seemed to get them faster than the bookstores, even though they use the same distributor. It was fine when I commuted in from the suburbs, less so when I moved!

-William