'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#2951 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:02

Originally posted by ghinzani
I would be tempted if Autosport was available on DVD for sure.

I asked the question with respect to Motoring News/Motorsport News and got the answer 'as soon as we get the budget allocated'.

I suspect Autosport will be in the same position.

:wave:

Advertisement

#2952 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 16:02

April issue in today's post :)

Best part is the advertisement for the 1924/49 Digital archive :clap:

#2953 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,844 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 16:20

Originally posted by David McKinney

Mine arrived today, the plastic wrapper was split, the magazine heavily scratched and there is a very big crease running down the front cover. Thankfully it wasn't raining but I am still going to ring up and complain!

:mad:

#2954 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 16:34

Oh dear... There goes my beer money for the next few months ;)

#2955 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 18:49

Arrived today, nice and early! Just glanced through, but superb photos of Eddie Whitam, with one of Jim Clark on R.A.C Rally and some great articles about Chevron, AAR and Reine Wisell. :up:

#2956 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 20:11

Yeah! Although I'm starting to wonder if the actual mags will start to disappear if they're all available digitally. Although I'll certainly be buying this, I love the old papery smell and patina of the few copies I have from the period.

Does anyone know what "soon" means? There didn't seem to be a date, only "soon".

#2957 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 20:12

Originally posted by wdm

Oh dear... There goes my beer money for the next few months ;)

But you'll be more appreciative of the beer when you get it back ;)

#2958 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 21:34

Got my magazine a few days earlier because it normally arrives on a Saturday.

I enjoyed reading the Lancia Group C sportscar article and I was hoping that the Eddie Jordan article would cover some iinformation about the F3000 days but there was a small mention although I was pleased to see some new information about the 1989 Birmingham Superprix though.

#2959 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,515 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 21:40

And news trade copies in Somerset too ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#2960 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 21:46

Can't wait. :smoking:

#2961 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 22:02

Originally posted by bigears
I was hoping that the Eddie Jordan article would cover some iinformation about the F3000 days but there was a small mention although I was pleased to see some new information about the 1989 Birmingham Superprix though.

There was a lot missing from EJ's interview but as ever it read like a PR exercise, IMO.

#2962 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 17:15

My 1924-1949 archive DVD dropped through the letter box today :)

I noticed that in 1928 and 1929, particularly 1929, some months don't have issues. I didn't know that before. I'd always assumed there'd been an uninterrupted run.

#2963 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 18:13

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall

There was a lot missing from EJ's interview but as ever it read like a PR exercise, IMO.

That's a shame. :|

#2964 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 19:26

Originally posted by Rob
My 1924-1949 archive DVD dropped through the letter box today :)

:mad: They haven't even sent me an order form yet! :mad:

You'd think buying all four available DVDs at once might qualify one for instant information, but apart from this thread I haven't seen or heard a thing... :evil:

#2965 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:00

Including his wedding ring..... :

Eddie is/was adored whilst running his F1 team, it became a real boost for the nation, but he's never really put anything into the Irish economy, while Williams would send over Hill and Villeneuve for the phoenix park races, we never saw any Jordan support for the racing scene here

That said you should have seen us celebrate that weekend of Spa :cool:

#2966 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:31

I thought EJ was good at the weekend but I did feel slightly uncomfortable when he started asking Vijay Mallaya questions after their recent troubles/writs.

My late Dad loved going to Ireland and always ended up selling whatever racing car he had at the time and since my racer was advertised all the offers I've had have come from Ireland but then maybe that's a Vauxhall thing.

Anyway, hopefully MS will keep up their current standard and ST's lunches with continue as they are brilliant but I still want to see David Render interviewed. ):

N.B. Simon is a TNF regular (ST - I hope you don't mind me saying that!!)

#2967 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,844 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:05

Anyway, hopefully MS will keep up their current standard and ST's lunches with continue as they are brilliant but I still want to see David Render interviewed. ):

Me too! :)

#2968 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 23:15

Originally posted by sterling49
Arrived today, nice and early! Just glanced through, but superb photos of Eddie Whitam, with one of Jim Clark on R.A.C Rally and some great articles about Chevron, AAR and Reine Wisell. :up:

Just another data point: that issue arrived yesterday, here on the Left Coast USA, down low.

#2969 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:26

Originally posted by Frank S

Just another data point: that issue arrived yesterday, here on the Left Coast USA, down low.

Blimey Frank, the next issue hits the newstands here in the UK tomorrow, Friday April 3rd! :

#2970 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:19

And some subscribers have already received it :)

#2971 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:22

Mine arrived this morning too.

#2972 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 132 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:56

As did mine. :)

#2973 alansart

alansart

• 4,053 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:04

Originally posted by Shockabuku

Mine didn't :(

#2974 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:08

Mine arrived major midwest US city, Monday.
Great magazine, couldn't put it down. The Boddy column on encounters with coppers was priceless.

#2975 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,189 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:58

Originally posted by Giraffe

Blimey Frank, the next issue hits the newstands here in the UK tomorrow, Friday April 3rd! :

And some subscribers have already received it :)

Mine arrived this morning too.

Originally posted by Shockabuku

Originally posted by alansart

Mine didn't :(

Well damn me.

Motor racing history in the making.

Can we have the Womens' Own - my copy is a day late thread next?

#2976 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:13

Originally posted by Kpy

Well damn me.

Motor racing history in the making.

Well put, Kpy. :up:

#2977 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,515 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:18

Well, at least you've all stopped moaning that it's in the shops before your subscription copies have arrived :rolleyes:

After all, the contents are not exactly hot news ....

#2978 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:22

Originally posted by Kpy

Well, my copy has arrived, but some bastard has nicked the knitting pattern!

#2979 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:25

The point I was trying to make is that when Vintage Motorsport reaches the newsagents so promptly over here in the UK, let alone the subscribers, you'd think Motorsport do better than take nearly a month to reach readers in the Mid-West and West Coast of the US? Hell, I bet it's available in Kabul or Bagdad sooner. (Probably so with the troops!)

Advertisement

#2980 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:29

Originally posted by kayemod

Well, my copy has arrived, but some bastard has nicked the knitting pattern!

And talking of knitting patterns, take a look at the new presentation of the TNF logo on my polo shirt thread! :love:

#2981 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,844 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:53

For the second month is a row my copy is damaged! Last month it was very badly creased & riped whilst this month there are a lot of pages with ink stains over them!

Content looks excellent but the quality is poor!

):

#2982 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,515 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 15:26

Two different problems - if sadly coincidental.

Originally posted by Stephen W
For the second month is a row my copy is damaged! Last month it was very badly creased & riped

Before or after it was posted? If the latter then your complaint is with Royal Mail, not Motor Sport.

Originally posted by Stephen W
whilst this month there are a lot of pages with ink stains over them!

Printer's error. Should have been picked up before binding. I'm sure that if you inform Motor Sport they will replace it.

Originally posted by giraffe
The point I was trying to make is that when Vintage Motorsport reaches the newsagents so promptly over here in the UK, let alone the subscribers, you'd think Motorsport do better than take nearly a month to reach readers in the Mid-West and West Coast of the US? Hell, I bet it's available in Kabul or Bagdad sooner. (Probably so with the troops!)

The situation with VM is exactly the same in reverse. The Jan/Feb edition is available in early December in America, but it doesn't roll up here until January.

Subscription magazines travelling across the Atlantic go surface mail, just like the trade copies: paper is too heavy to send airmail. Mail to BFPOs goes by air by default - almost always on RAF supply flights and bypassing the normal mail service.

#2983 TFBundy

TFBundy

• 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 21:40

Originally posted by Vitesse2

After all, the contents are not exactly hot news ....

People can't even complain about that. Today's copy has Nigel Roebuck's take on last weekend's Australian GP, a day after Autosport

#2984 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 21:54

Good point - I was surprised how close they were but then they must have done that on purpose and I bet the last 24 hours before publishing was manic!!

#2985 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:50

Originally posted by TFBundy

People can't even complain about that. Today's copy has Nigel Roebuck's take on last weekend's Australian GP, a day after Autosport

Mine arrived same day as Autosport.Collected Autosport from Tescos about 9.50am to return home to almost trip over Motot Sport on my doormat :)

#2986 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:22

My late Dad loved going to Ireland and always ended up selling whatever racing car he had at the time and since my racer was advertised all the offers I've had have come from Ireland but then maybe that's a Vauxhall thing.

nope, just the pathetic value of Sterling..... the door is always open lads, RBD, Royal Bank of Deutschland !!!!

oh and my copy wont arrive for anothre 10 days.. I think it gets sent via the Moon

#2987 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 14:01

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Two different problems - if sadly coincidental.

Before or after it was posted? If the latter then your complaint is with Royal Mail, not Motor Sport.

Printer's error. Should have been picked up before binding. I'm sure that if you inform Motor Sport they will replace it.

The situation with VM is exactly the same in reverse. The Jan/Feb edition is available in early December in America, but it doesn't roll up here until January.

Subscription magazines travelling across the Atlantic go surface mail, just like the trade copies: paper is too heavy to send airmail. Mail to BFPOs goes by air by default - almost always on RAF supply flights and bypassing the normal mail service.

My copy of May MotorSport arrived yesterday, and Mar/Apr VM arrived today so that's about right with what you say.

Done okay with VM as I took out the online digital mag subscription which they then stopped doing, so I've been getting the printed mag since, next one is the last so looks like I need to pay full price next year.

#2988 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 17:11

Actually, it is very rare to see a "proper" motor racing magazine in one of the Exchanges in the theater, US or Coalition, especially in Iraq or Afghanistan. Indeed, you don't even want to know how sparse the reading materials are at many of the FOBs in either place. When I used to get Motor Sport sent to me here -- I will refrain from mentioning what a bunch of jerks they were for suddenly deciding I was unworthy of being on their list for free copies -- I would read it and always take it with me the next time I went north and leave at one of the reading rooms in a MWR (Morale Welfare Recreation) center at whatever FOB I happened to be at that trip. I did send several to Afghanistan as well, where the conditions in most FOBs make Iraq look like a vacation resort by comparison.

I am not back in CONUS until June for a conference and a week's R&R, so no clue what the shipping is like for my copies of anything.

#2989 john aston

john aston

• 841 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:46

I struggle with motor sport acronyms- now I have seem to have some more.Anyway, Motor Sport arrived safely in North Yorkshire despite the best efforts of the Taliban and all those other bad beardy guys,not least the Easingwold young farmers.

#2990 Macca

Macca

• 3,352 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 19:27

All quiet - nobody has commented on the last two issues.........

I've been re-reading old copies and found this photo in a 1996 issue with no ID of the years or cars - can anyone help?
Posted Image

The first one is a Lister with reg. VPP 9, driven by a bearded gent, and the blue one looks as though it has a Bristol engine; then a DB3S, then ?

Paul M

#2991 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 20:15

The lead car in the group is the Lister-Bristol of Alan Moore which dates the picture as probably 1957

#2992 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 00:05

The lead car in the group is the Lister-Bristol of Alan Moore which dates the picture as probably 1957

From Martin Krejci's site, 1955 Goodwood International:

http://www.wsrp.ic.cz/intgb1955.html#9

Which shows:

8th #27 Allan Moore (GB) Lister - Bristol BHL3
DNF #4 Reg Bicknell (GB) Revis - Borgward [NOW1]
Other starters #63 Tony Everard (GB) Aston Martin DB3S 3

Does that sound right?

Vince H.

#2993 Hse289

Hse289

• 605 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:39

Glad i stuck with the magazine, current issue has an excellent lunch with Jackie Oliver. I also enjoyed the Allen Grant interview, being partial to all things Shelby.
Paul

#2994 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 14:41

who in his right mind could put a pictures of that clown Flavio Briatore on his cover, come on Motorsport magazine have finnally achieve to be as vulgar as Octane a new low, second point if Motorsport want to take a position on the next FIA election its perfectly legitimate ,but lets do it in open daylight not with innuendos like it was in the May issue

#2995 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 15:29

who in his right mind could put a pictures of that clown Flavio Briatore on his cover, come on Motorsport magazine have finnally achieve to be as vulgar as Octane a new low, second point if Motorsport want to take a position on the next FIA election its perfectly legitimate ,but lets do it in open daylight not with innuendos like it was in the May issue

I felt slightly queasy when I saw that cover, but the interview was good enough to almost make up for it. Flavio does come across as a bit of a joke sometimes, but he's no fool when it comes to running his team, probably one of the best business brains in F1 at the moment.

#2996 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 17:48

I side with Kayemod. Flav may not be to everyone's taste, but he knows what he is doing and gets it done. He seems to have the best grasp of the "big picture" of just about anyone in F-1 and his various pronouncements that I have seen in print and on the web in the last several years (once you get through his self manufactured bluster) generally seem to be very well thought out.

I had not thought of it before, but now that it has been mentioned, I do believe that Flav would be much better than Max as the Big Boss.

Besides, admit it, don't you wish you could attract the super models the way he does? :kiss:

Tom

#2997 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 18:53

Motor Sport moving with the times?

It now has its own "Facebook " Club ...........

PAR

#2998 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:02

Motor Sport moving with the times?

It now has its own "Facebook " Club ...........

PAR

Louisa asked me (how could I refuse :love: ), and I was there before you :p

Great article on the 1969 4wd failures this month, and a questionaire for TNFers to relish/grumble about...

Edited by David Beard, 03 June 2009 - 19:05.

#2999 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:05

Louisa asked me (how could I refuse :love: ), and I was there before you :p

David I only joined because both you and Steve were already showing as members ..............any Club that has you two in it must be worth the entry fee :)

PAR

Advertisement

#3000 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:09

David I only joined because both you and Steve were already showing as members ..............any Club that has you two in it must be worth the entry fee :)

PAR

Now, where can I get a vomit smiley!  ;)