Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3001 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:09

David I only joined because both you and Steve were already showing as members ..............any Club that has you two in it must be worth the entry fee :)

PAR

Now, where can I get a vomit smiley!  ;)

Advertisement

#3002 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:24

Now, where can I get a vomit smiley! ;)

It takes a bit of time ......

Posted Image

PAR

#3003 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 22:29

Is it just me, or is the August issue late?
July issue gives on-sale date of 29/06

#3004 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 148 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 22:32

Only wondering that yesterday, havn't received mine yet

#3005 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,433 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 23:04

Which is bloody silly, given the way magazine distribution works.

No - repeat no - monthly magazines are published on Mondays. I could go into lots of boring detail, but expect it on July 2nd - or the 3rd at the latest .... :)

#3006 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:41

Which is bloody silly, given the way magazine distribution works.

No - repeat no - monthly magazines are published on Mondays. I could go into lots of boring detail, but expect it on July 2nd - or the 3rd at the latest .... :)

youve beaten me to it , maybe they are running a special , LUNCH WITH MAX,

#3007 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:17

Received via Facebook.....

The latest issue of Motor Sport is out now.

In August's edition we look at John Surtees’ love affair with the greatest powerhouses of Italian racing. ‘Il Grande John’ scored his celebrated world titles with MV Agusta and Ferrari, but working with these two Italian greats was no easy ride.

Elsewhere in Motor Sport, we test drive the F1 car that could have made Aston Martin a Grand Prix winner and send Simon Taylor off for lunch with the affable Aussie Tim Schenken. We explore the battle for supremacy between the Red Bull rivals Webber and Vettel, Sears and Stewart relive their epic GT duel from 1964 and Roebuck explores the disintegrating relationship between Mosley and the F1 World.

For a full list of features, check out our website at www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk

PAR

#3008 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:50

...and Roebuck explores the disintegrating relationship between Mosley and the F1 World.

Not really the right thread, but I expect more relevant ones in Racing Comments are up to several hundred bad-tempered pages of barely literate rant by now, and I just couldn't face that. Max has done so much damage to F1 in recent years, and just when we think that things couldn't get worse, they do. What he said about Jackie Stewart was inexcusable, and now he's demanding apologies from Luca di Montezemolo, a man he was calling a "Loonie" a day or so before, but apparently that was OK. Mosley now claims that he's being "urged" to stay. I don't like to think what 'instruments' might have been used for this...

#3009 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:18

My copy just arrived. It tends to be delivered on a thursday.

#3010 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:38

My copy just arrived.

Mine too, so back on topic.

#3011 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:42

Mine too

#3012 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 22:52

Mine too :clap:

Still looking for the customary factual error :)

#3013 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:40

Is there an article on Brian Shawe Taylor ??????? I supplied some photos but as usual no response from them !!!!!!!!

#3014 john aston

john aston

• 838 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:46

Mine too :clap:

Still looking for the customary factual error :)

Check out the Chris Rea article- picture of a Lotus Six captioned as a Caterham.Same DNA but......

#3015 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 47 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 23:36

:clap: My copy just arrived.
I live in Buenos Aires , Argentina :rotfl:

#3016 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:13

It's been very quiet on this thread recently, does this mean that distribution has improved, or that the magazine itself is better? I have to say though, that both aspects have always seemed fine to me, particularly the content, as long as we ignore Luisa Skipper that is...

#3017 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:56

Anyone heard when they're going to replace our 1924-1949 DVDs?

#3018 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:58

Although they haven't said as much, Rob, I believe there's no need
The duplicated month I noticed was not apparently a replacement for the named issue - there wasn't one

#3019 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 17:37

It's been very quiet on this thread recently, does this mean that distribution has improved, or that the magazine itself is better? I have to say though, that both aspects have always seemed fine to me, particularly the content, as long as we ignore Luisa Skipper that is...

It's nice not to be deluged with needless "mine has arrived" posts, followed by a comment to the effect that "it looks alright and I might enjoy it if I get round to reading it". Perhaps we should all agree to review each issue just before the next one arrives.

Motor Sport is right up my street these days...modern coverage, done in a grown-up way, and a bit about the bikes. I even read some of the Frankel, and look at Louisa's snaps :)

Edited by David Beard, 29 August 2009 - 15:39.

Advertisement

#3020 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:02

The Nostalgia Forum gets a namecheck in the latest (October 2009) edition of Motor Sport, albeit in the Letters section where Mike Fairholme refers to TNF in his letter entitled "Can-Am BRMs safe and well".

This month's issue of the magazine celebrating "Moss at 80" is available with four different covers. I shall be limiting myself to the one which I picked up at random at the newsagents.......... :|

Edited by Giraffe, 29 August 2009 - 09:23.

#3021 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:29

As a subscriber there's no choice - would be interesting to see if we all got the same front cover?!
Was great to see a picture of Dad in there too, other than the fact we're similar ages in the pic and I can see what I'm gonna end up looking like, lol!!
Great article by Keith Mainland too - I had the pleasure of him spending an evening at my flat talking about the Firenza he's just bought (on my advice :cat: ) and we barely scratched the surface of Pikes Peak unfortunately and that's without mentioning his London to Brighton exploits!!

#3022 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 21:00

As a subscriber there's no choice - would be interesting to see if we all got the same front cover?!

Well I ended up with the only cover of the 4 that didn't feature him in action.

#3023 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 21:16

Well I ended up with the only cover of the 4 that didn't feature him in action.

Me too.

#3024 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 21:30

Me too.

And I, a non-subscriber! :well:

#3025 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 21:33

Me too. But it's a nice portrait.

#3026 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,123 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:57

Me too. But it's a nice portrait.

ditto

#3027 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:23

Maybe the other three covers will be released on a weekly basis to "bolster" this month's sales?!?!  ;)

#3028 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:38

This month's issue of the magazine celebrating "Moss at 80" is available with four different covers. I shall be limiting myself to the one which I picked up at random at the newsagents.......... :|

You can buy all four at 11GBP apiece :confused:

#3029 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:43

If you have purchased one, you can buy the other 3 for the price of 2. Sounds to me like Stirling at work...... :lol:

#3030 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,454 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:07

If you have purchased one, you can buy the other 3 for the price of 2. Sounds to me like Stirling at work...... :lol:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 31 August 2009 - 10:08.

#3031 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:51

Not too sure if anyone else has mentioned this, I've been away for a couple of weeks so apologies if I've missed something, but it's in the current issue of MS, so it is more or less relevant. On page 53 of the Moss at 80 edition, The Great Man comments on that other Great Man, Colin Chapman. Having suffered at their hands, Sir Stirling makes the kind of comments you'd expect about Lotus fragility and their demanding nature, but then he makes the surprising comment that it wasn't until the type 23 that "He learned to build a car that wouldn't fall to bits, until then he hadn't built a car that was fun to drive". Now, the 23 didn't appear until mid 62, after SCM's enforced retirement, so it's surely unlikely that he so much as sat in one, and I don't think anyone has ever credited the 23 as being particularly reliable or robust, nor were many of the cars that followed over the next few years, so if it wasn't the 23, which Lotus was Mr Moss referring to?

#3032 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 17:10

I always turn first to Simon Taylor's "Lunch with...." column, and I can commend his Dan Gurney piece in the latest issue. ST is at pains to point out that DSG's long-awaited autobigraphy is currently on the stocks, and that we will have to wait for that to read Dan's side of the story in full. I can't wait....

#3033 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 19:14

Not too sure if anyone else has mentioned this, I've been away for a couple of weeks so apologies if I've missed something, but it's in the current issue of MS, so it is more or less relevant. On page 53 of the Moss at 80 edition, The Great Man comments on that other Great Man, Colin Chapman. Having suffered at their hands, Sir Stirling makes the kind of comments you'd expect about Lotus fragility and their demanding nature, but then he makes the surprising comment that it wasn't until the type 23 that "He learned to build a car that wouldn't fall to bits, until then he hadn't built a car that was fun to drive". Now, the 23 didn't appear until mid 62, after SCM's enforced retirement, so it's surely unlikely that he so much as sat in one, and I don't think anyone has ever credited the 23 as being particularly reliable or robust, nor were many of the cars that followed over the next few years, so if it wasn't the 23, which Lotus was Mr Moss referring to?

:confused: given the identity of the originator and final poster on this thread: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=115418

#3034 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 19:55

I always turn first to Simon Taylor's "Lunch with...." column, and I can commend his Dan Gurney piece in the latest issue. ST is at pains to point out that DSG's long-awaited autobigraphy is currently on the stocks, and that we will have to wait for that to read Dan's side of the story in full. I can't wait....

It must be nice to live in a part of the country not affected by the postal strike...

#3035 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,433 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 20:07

It must be nice to live in a part of the country not affected by the postal strike...

[smug newsagent mode]Got mine on Thursday .... :p [/smug newsagent mode]

#3036 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 20:13

:confused: given the identity of the originator and final poster on this thread: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=115418

By taking thirteen days to spot the original question, you've answered your own query. Hidden away among the interminable "My subscription copy of MS is a day late" moans, I don't think anyone else noticed either, so after a couple of days of silence, I re-posted my original question in its own thread, as I made clear at the time. As you will have seen, my suspicions that The Great Man may have been confusing the Lotus 23 with the Type 19 were eventually confirmed by His Dougship.

"Simples!"

#3037 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,191 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 20:52

I understand that the track visits articles have returned.

As another victim of the UK postal " service " hence not having received this months edition, could you let us know which track is featured Alan ?

Thanks

Chris

#3038 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,962 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:49

LittleChris,

It's Lyon. For a preview, check out the motor sport webpage for the November issue.

Mark

#3039 Simon Hadfield

Simon Hadfield

• 213 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 15:21

The Gurney interview is good but the Mario chat about sprint cars is pure magic. A quick peek behind the curtain to when men were men - and I loved the anecdote about the Christmas card in the summer. More power to Motorsport!

Advertisement

#3040 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,933 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 16:29

the Mario chat about sprint cars is pure magic.

Unfortunately, it's also typical Roebuck cut and paste - more than half the piece was a word for word rehash of his previous "Legends" articles on Langhorne and Don Branson, which was a little surprising given the photos that implied a very recent interview.

#3041 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:30

LittleChris,

It's Lyon. For a preview, check out the motor sport webpage for the November issue.

Mark

Thanks Mark

#3042 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 13:48

How many have their Motor Sport delivered by the postman in a damaged condition? My copy of the current edition received this morning has its spine fracture and torn in two places, obviously having been bent double in transit. Previous copies have been delivered with crunched and crumpled corners.

This is one magazine that I keep (Autosport gets recycled after two days) and it is annoying that it suffers so much from rough handling. I shall be canceling my subscription and buying off the newsagent's shelf in future! I will even benefit from obtaining it earlier in future. Sadly the magazine proprietors are the losers here as they derive more income from selling subscriptions than selling via the newspaper trade.

#3043 Chocmonster

Chocmonster

• 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 14:47

I do hope you're going to give Motorsport feedback as to what is happening and how you feel otherwise they will never know about your protest.

Luckily mine arrives in good condition and as I've never noticed what day of the month it should come out I never realise if it's late or not!

#3044 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 15:08

Looks like a local problem, retriever

I have no complaints about mine (and I can't blame MotorSport for the fact that I'm still waiting for the latest...)

#3045 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,734 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 15:26

I gave up having anything bigger than A5 size (and even this, the VSCC bulletin, is often damaged in transit) sent by orthodox post either from or to me years ago.

The ability of the Royal (sic) Mail to bend, crease, split and generally vandalise anything made of paper and/or cardboard is legendary, no point in complaining either as nothing will be done about it. Most posties around here don't give a damn whether they are bending your copy of Motor Sport or whatever, one of the problems being of course that unlike many other countries in the western world including the States, we tend to have indequately sized door or wall mounted letter boxes rather than proper sized postboxes outside our properties.

Being realistic this option would not work either as no doubt our post would then be stolen from said boxes by persons breaking them open.

#3046 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,807 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 16:40

How many have their Motor Sport delivered by the postman in a damaged condition? My copy of the current edition received this morning has its spine fracture and torn in two places, obviously having been bent double in transit. Previous copies have been delivered with crunched and crumpled corners.

If you ring the Motor Sport subscriptions department they will extend your subscription or send you a replacement copy.

Getting damaged copies of Motor Sport has happened to me in the past & I have always opted for extending the Subscription as I can usually get a copy of the damaged issue locally.

:wave:

#3047 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,563 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 18:26

Got mine this morning, all in good condition. Have leafed through and read just a couple of articles, I think it's looking like a rather good edition.

#3048 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,433 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 22:18

Just slightly off topic....received the October issue today and inside was a card trumpeting the fact that this issue arrived much earlier than I was used to receiving it. Such early delivery attributed to printing the mag in the States.

But.....it arrived today, Oct. 5. In the past I have generally received the copy on or about the very first of the cover month , if not a few days before. Hence, this new, improved, faster delivery actually was several days later......

oh well...... :confused:

Tom

#3049 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 348 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:28

The plastic sleeve on my issue had split and a lot of damp had got in - had to hang it in the airing cupboard before I could read it!

On the plus side, I can now decorate my computer with Roary The Racing Car stickers...

#3050 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 456 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 16:41

Years ago when Bill Boddy was at the helm, he often mentioned his "Motoring Dog" which seemed to attend events and go on road tests. Having a Westie that greatly enjoys going out in MGs, I wondered if the MD ever appeared in a photo, did it have a name and were there a succession of "Motoring Dogs" in the Boddy household?