Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3051 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,724 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 16:43

Years ago when Bill Boddy was at the helm, he often mentioned his "Motoring Dog" which seemed to attend events and go on road tests. Having a Westie that greatly enjoys going out in MGs, I wondered if the MD ever appeared in a photo, did it have a name and were there a succession of "Motoring Dogs" in the Boddy household?

I am pretty sure that there were a "succession" of MDs!

For some reason a black labrador comes to mind! :wave:

Advertisement

#3052 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,406 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 16:54

I certainly recall at least one photo of it. Like Steve, I think it was a labrador, although I'd plump for golden, not black.

#3053 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:31

I had a reason to log in to Motor Sport today from the office but found that my (forgotten) password was not in my work computer. No worries, I went for the 'Email my password' option. Worked a treat, thanks Motor Sport but...... the next screen that came up said,

You're password has been sent to your email address

Aaaaaargh..... :eek:

Edited by Gary Davies, 22 October 2009 - 01:31.

#3054 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 605 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:19

It could be worse. You could have been put in a drawer for a special prize! How claustrophobic!

#3055 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:16

OK I'm lost to what the problem is...Can't you log on to your email from work? :confused:

Edited by Ivan, 23 October 2009 - 08:16.

#3056 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:27

OK I'm lost to what the problem is...Can't you log on to your email from work? :confused:

Oh, for goodness' sake, it's the grammar.

#3057 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:13

I have been reading Motor Sport for 5 years or so and really enjoy each issue. I get Autosport (8 yrs), Motor Sport (5 yrs) and Classic and Sport Cars (10 yrs). Thoese 3 magazines cover anything I need to know. When I was racing I did get Race Car Engineering but it has lost alot over the years. More money and less content. I subscribed to Autoweek for well over 35 years maybe closer to 40 years but finally dropped it. It seemed to get smaller and smaller but cost more. The funny thing was after 35 years I never heard one word from them about my subscription when I stoped.

#3058 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 13:08

I subscribed to Autoweek for well over 35 years maybe closer to 40 years but finally dropped it. It seemed to get smaller and smaller but cost more. The funny thing was after 35 years I never heard one word from them about my subscription when I stoped.

Probably the wrong thread for Autoweek, but you are right. I have been a subscriber since 1960 when it was Competition Press. But their move last winter, when they went from weekly to every other week, same size, etc., but kept the price the same, got my goat. Effectively they doubled the price. What really was annoying about this was their pious announcement in which they not only claimed they were "going back to their roots", but also stated it was, wait for it, "new and improved." Absolute horse manure! A complete insult to their readers.

Unless they knock the sub price in half, they will have seen the last of me when my sub runs out sometime next year.
Tom

#3059 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 13:54

Probably the wrong thread for Autoweek, but you are right. I have been a subscriber since 1960 when it was Competition Press. But their move last winter, when they went from weekly to every other week, same size, etc., but kept the price the same, got my goat. Effectively they doubled the price. What really was annoying about this was their pious announcement in which they not only claimed they were "going back to their roots", but also stated it was, wait for it, "new and improved." Absolute horse manure! A complete insult to their readers.

Unless they knock the sub price in half, they will have seen the last of me when my sub runs out sometime next year.
Tom

I took the more direct approach--canceled and asked for a refund. The racing news is available on the AutoWeek website. The rest, apart from Farley's columns, I don't really miss.

Advertisement

#3060 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,945 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:51

I trust I'm not being lazy in asking this question, but with this thread up to 77 pages and the Motor Sport site not providing the enlightenment I seek, it seems to me an enquiry such as this might be the quickest thing to do.

My daughter is offering to buy me a couple of the motor Sport Digital Archives for Christmas. My question relates to whether there might be any incompatibility issues viewing them on Mac OSX?

Any advice (other than 'Buy a PC' :| ) would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gary Davies, 27 October 2009 - 05:51.

#3061 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:15

My daughter is offering to buy me a couple of the motor Sport Digital Archives for Christmas. My question relates to whether there might be any incompatibility issues viewing them on Mac OSX?

The work fine on that set-up for me

#3062 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,945 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:48

Thank you, David.

#3063 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:15

I should have mentioned I have an Intel processor - that might make a difference

#3064 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,268 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:19

Mac is another language to me, but the minimum spec on the box for the 1924-49 disc says "Power PC 450Mhz, OS 10 (or later)".

#3065 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:20

The DVD's contain text files and jpeg images, so even if the overall software doesn't run on your Mac, you should still be able to see and search the magazine pages.

#3066 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,945 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:29

Again, thanks gents. David, ah yes, Intel Core 2 Duo. That's the whizzy laptop at work but at home we have ye ancient PowerPC G4 876Mhz tower and it's damn near indestructible. Every time I wonder whether it should be replaced, the next thought is 'why?'. So let's see if it likes Motor Sport.

#3067 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:24

I should have mentioned I have an Intel processor - that might make a difference

I have the latest Intel Processors running on OSX Snow Leopard and It's working fine.

Having installed the latest OSX some software required updating but there's no problem with the Motor Sport discs :)

Edited by alansart, 30 October 2009 - 07:26.

#3068 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 17:16

well it look that theres no more Motor Sport magazine distribution in Montreal in Quebec, i dont know for the rest of canada but in Montreal i didnt saw a copy anywhere in the last two months . i know that i could suscribe but the last magazine i suscribed to where "historic race& rally " and "L'automobile historique" ,im a kind of kiss of death for magazines :drunk:

#3069 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 22:28

Podcast on the MS website with John Watson due early next week which should be good

#3070 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 20:28

well believe it or not the Motor Sport nouveau finnally arrive in Montreal , the october issue that is ,the moss special with the aston cover for us , i was loosing faith .maybe the november issue will arrive next week . :drunk:

#3071 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:12

Will the January edition come out before Christmas?

Or will they let the year run until the new year?

#3072 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,268 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:49

Will the January edition come out before Christmas?

Or will they let the year run until the new year?

I'd expect it to hit the shops on December 3rd. :wave:

#3073 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 13:44

I'd expect it to hit the shops on December 3rd. :wave:

The January Issue arrived this morning - complete with a CD of Peter Ustinov's Grand Prix of Gibraltar :)

#3074 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 13:59

Speaking of deliveries (or lack thereof) of Motor Sport, since they started a printing plant in the US, I haven't received a single issue that wasn't especially mailed from the UK when I wrote and complained. They are very expensive here for subscriptions and it seems odd their now (domestic to US) subscription mailing issues.
Can't live well without it. Keep up the good journalism.
:up:
David

#3075 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 22:13

Speaking of deliveries (or lack thereof) of Motor Sport, since they started a printing plant in the US, I haven't received a single issue that wasn't especially mailed from the UK when I wrote and complained. They are very expensive here for subscriptions and it seems odd their now (domestic to US) subscription mailing issues.
David

I have the very same problems as David. Yesterday, November 25, I finally received my subscription copy of the November issue in the mail! This is at the same time that we are reading here that the January issue is being received!! This is a full month later than has been the norm up until they started printing in the US. The October issue came two weeks later than normal, and now the November issue is a full four weeks late!! Absolutely unaccpetable. :down:

To add insult to injury, the November issue ( did I mention that it came a month late?) contains a card from Nigel Roebuck as Editor-in-Chief, telling me, and I quote here:

"Dear Subcriber. Please find enclosed your copy of the November issue of Motor Sport--delivered to you earlier than ever before!"

Emphasis theirs

It goes on to explain how we are getting the mag to our door much faster, blah, blah. Is this all a bad joke on us, the US subscribers? How can they tell us this with a straight face when the delivery of the magazine has simply gone to hell.

I, like David, have complained by e mail to the main office in the UK and received an air mail copy of the mag this past Monday. Even so, that is over three weeks late, not to mention the hassle of complaining and the irritation of not getting a mag I really like on time.

Do we, the US subscribers, have to complain every month to get our copies? As David says, we pay good money for this, and would like to have service to correspond.

At this rate I fully expect the subscription copy of the December issue, which on past practice should be coming right about now, to arrive sometime after the first of the year.

Blast!

Tom

#3076 Damien Smith

Damien Smith

• 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:36

Dear all,

Having read the last two posts in reference to North American distribution of Motor Sport, I thought it only fair that I post a reply.

The first thing I should say to our US readers is that I am very sorry for the terribly late delivery of the magazine in recent months. It has been a very embarrassing and frustrating period for us.

We believe the magazine has a great chance to increase its presence in North America. Anecdotal evidence suggests that American enthusiasts like the magazine and more would probably buy it if they could find it. As a business, we need to attract new readers and 'breaking America' seems an obvious way to do this. That is why we moved to have the US editions printed in the States to speed up distribution and give us a fighting chance.

To say it has started badly is an understatement.

The transition from our previous distributor to our new American printer and distributor has been harder than we expected. A number of distribution deadlines have been missed and we are still seeking answers as to why. Nigel Roebuck and I are very aware that many of our American readers are unhappy and I can promise you it pains us greatly.

I'm afraid we're not out of the woods yet, and I fear the January issue will also be late as a knock-on from the December issue dramas. We have to get our act together, particularly since that letter went out promising faster than ever delivery...(groan)

At this stage, I would just ask you all to stretch your patience a little further. There are no excuses – we must do better. For me and everyone here, it is a priority to sort this problem once and for all early in the new year. I regularly check this thread because it is a useful gauge of how we are doing (in every respect). The members of this forum have generally been supportive of our efforts to produce a good magazine and that is appreciated. Please do continue to give feedback. Your comments will be noted and passed on to the MD.

Once again, I am very sorry.

Best regards

Damien Smith
Editor, Motor Sport

Edited by Damien Smith, 27 November 2009 - 11:17.

#3077 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:38

Damien,
Glad to see you are prepared to put your head above the parapet

#3078 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,724 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:57

Damien,

It does make a refreshing change. :up:

#3079 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:17

Damien, good to see you on here. Could you tell us if/when you will be doing a Digital Archive for the 1990's and 2000's? I see there is a voting option for them on the main page of the website. What is the likelyhood of them being produced and indeed when. I'm really keen to snap them up, everyone I have spoken too are equally keen to purchase them. Could you give us any more additonal infromation?

Many thanks

Advertisement

#3080 Damien Smith

Damien Smith

• 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:37

Hi again,

The 1990s archive is imminent - early in 2010. The scanning of the archives is a laborious process, but it has been completed for the decade and the artwork for the sleeve is nearly there. I'm also hoping that we can get the 2000s out during 2010. It has been discussed and agreed upon, so hopefully it will be released later in the year.

Best

Damien

#3081 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:26

Hi again,

The 1990s archive is imminent - early in 2010. The scanning of the archives is a laborious process, but it has been completed for the decade and the artwork for the sleeve is nearly there. I'm also hoping that we can get the 2000s out during 2010. It has been discussed and agreed upon, so hopefully it will be released later in the year.

Best

Damien

Brilliant! thanks Damien, really appreciate you getting back to me, can't wait!

#3082 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,268 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:40

On the subject of the Digital Archive - is there any chance that a DVD of the pre-merger issues of "Speed" would ever be produced? Prices of even individual copies are now astronomical and there are very few reference sets (I'd guess not more than 10) in libraries or archives anywhere.

I realise I'm probably one of only about 83 people who'd actually want one though .....

#3083 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:53

The January Issue arrived this morning - complete with a CD of Peter Ustinov's Grand Prix of Gibraltar :)

I was really looking forward to hearing the GP of the Rock again after losing my copy 50 years ago. Unfortunately my CD that came with Motor Sport is faulty, with distortion on band 2 and band 3 missing altogether. I will try to get it replaced but has anyone had a similar experience?
Chris

#3084 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 15:02

Damien,

Thank you very much for your reply and your explanation as to the difficulties that exist. I trust that they will be worked out in due course and that the mag will be delivered as advertised.

I appreciate your candor with respect to this and your warning about another couple months of slow delivery before the train gets on the tracks. This is so much more appreciated than giving out false promises that all will be right tomorrow, etc. :up:

As I am one who bitched very loudly about the poor delivery please accept my thanks for your reply and update on what must be a very unpleasant situation.

thanks,
Tom

#3085 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 15:15

On the subject of the Digital Archive - is there any chance that a DVD of the pre-merger issues of "Speed" would ever be produced? I realise I'm probably one of only about 83 people who'd actually want one though .....

What a good idea, Richard. That's 84 of us now.
Roger Lund

#3086 Rob

Rob

• 8,186 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 15:55

What a good idea, Richard. That's 84 of us now.
Roger Lund

85 :)

#3087 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,196 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 16:55

Damien,

Damien is a nice man. I'll rephrase that, he's a very, very, very nice man.

I e-mailed MotorSport a few months ago, mildly critical about some aspects of the magazine's graphic design, which I felt made reading it unnecessarily challenging for some older readers, or indeed for anyone with less than 100% acuity. I was pleasantly surprised, impressed even, to receive a lengthy and detailed response from Damien himself about an hour later, acknowledging the problem I'd brought to their attention, text on photo backgrounds, or even worse, white text reversed out of a photo or coloured background. He assured me that the magazine staff were well aware that this could affect readability, and tried not to do it too often, but here's the amusing bit. He told me that a couple of MS staff members were over 50(!), and he was sure they'd let him know if any pages were likely to cause legibility problems. I'd be curious to know how many TNFs under 50 have contributed to this long-running thread.

#3088 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 16:57

I'd be curious to know how many TNFs under 50 have contributed to this long-running thread.

:wave:

(86)

#3089 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 19:36

Under 50.....

#3090 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 20:19

Under 50.....

Just over 54 :cool:

#3091 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 20:26

For me the that fact that Motor Sport has once again become a quality magazine ,is due to the fact that its staff has both listened to and understood the wishes of their current ( and future ) readers.....

PAR

#3092 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 22:56

Also under 50 (As is my alter ego Lil'Chris) :drunk:

Edited by LittleChris, 27 November 2009 - 22:57.

#3093 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 00:41

The transition from our previous distributor to our new American printer and distributor has been harder than we expected. A number of distribution deadlines have been missed and we are still seeking answers as to why. Nigel Roebuck and I are very aware that many of our American readers are unhappy and I can promise you it pains us greatly.

Damien:

Thanks for addressing this issue directly. I've subscribed to Motor Sport forever and have accumulated back issues into the 1930s plus some issues of Speed. If I could subscribe to only one car magazine, it would be yours. I appreciate your efforts to find a good US printer/distributor. If you are looking for a better one, I may be able to help you. I published a 30,000-circulation car magazine for 25 years and used the same printer in Denver, American Web (303-321-2422, ask for Clarke Fine, and tell him I sent you). They were always on time and on-budget, and very few printers can say that. Denver is a good centralized mailing point, too. If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me. I'd love to help you.

Frank
303/237-0911
fbarrett@aol.com

#3094 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:34

Dear all,

[ ... ]

A number of distribution deadlines have been missed and we are still seeking answers as to why.

[ ... ]

Damien Smith
Editor, Motor Sport

I'd like to know what those answers are, once discovered. Probably good basis for a mini-series or a Broadway musical.

Just so you'll feel a bit less pressure about being "on time": for my part, I regard the magazine as a history lesson, some of it fairly recent. I don't care if it is a month or six weeks late; it is not a timely news source in any case. I'd like to be smug about receiving it before anyone else, but I won't be whinging if others are discussing it here well before I can join in.

Thank you so much for turning the magazine around. You'd nearly lost me.

Cheers! (Whatever that means)

#3095 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:36

Nice to see the October edition has just hit the shelf in Australia. :smoking:

#3096 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 14:39

I was really looking forward to hearing the GP of the Rock again after losing my copy 50 years ago. Unfortunately my CD that came with Motor Sport is faulty, with distortion on band 2 and band 3 missing altogether. I will try to get it replaced but has anyone had a similar experience?
Chris

A pity that overseas subscribers won´t get the CD...

#3097 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 14:53

A pity that overseas subscribers won´t get the CD...

Agreed, but they are available. See "1958 Grand Prix of Gibraltar" thread.
Tom

#3098 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 20:25

I know - but would hav been a nice pre-christmas present from Motor Sport. ;)

#3099 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 21:37

Under 50.....

I'm under 50, and agree that the print could be a little larger. For the record, my November issue arrived November 25.

Advertisement

#3100 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:02

50 Years ago, when Motor Sport was published on the first day of the month on the cover, in Kenya it was on sale exactly one month later (eg the May magazine was available on 1st June) in spite havong been shipped out via the Suez Canal. Australia would have been longer because of the longer journey but I'm sure it would have been equally consistent.