Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3101 retriever

retriever

• 392 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:19

I'm under 50, and agree that the print could be a little larger. For the record, my November issue arrived November 25.

I am 63 but I defy anyone to read aome of the reversed white text out of a dark background in the article about the Sauber/Mercedes. It is made worse by being out of register!

The Jochen Mass interview was very enjoyable as was Mr Nye's affectionate piece on Tom Wheatcroft.

We are really fortunate in the fact that this publication is still with us - unlike Autosport which to all intents and purposes departed years ago!

Advertisement

#3102 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 20:01

50 Years ago, when Motor Sport was published on the first day of the month on the cover, in Kenya it was on sale exactly one month later (eg the May magazine was available on 1st June) in spite havong been shipped out via the Suez Canal. Australia would have been longer because of the longer journey but I'm sure it would have been equally consistent.

Three months in New Zealand. Same as Autosport

#3103 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,102 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 22:16

...I defy anyone to read some of the reversed white text out of a dark background in the article about the Sauber/Mercedes. It is made worse by being out of register!

Oh dear, I can see I'll have to have another word with Damien...

#3104 Damien Smith

Damien Smith

• 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:35

Dear all,

Many thanks for all your comments in the past few days. I'll do my best to address them:

First, the Ustinov CD. These kind of promotion deals do tend to be struck on a UK-only basis for various reasons. You won't be surprised to hear, given our current troubles with US subs, that logistics are a problem! There is also an economic aspect, I'm afraid. It is hugely expensive to cover-mount a CD or DVD, which is the main reason we don't do it every month (I wish we could). We would have to sell an awful lot of extra issues to even get close to breaking even, but I like to think it was still worth doing. We'll see what reaction we get. We were aware that it might annoy US readers, which is always an uncomfortable thought, but we have offered it for sale on our website at a very low price: £5 which includes p&p, which I think is pretty reasonable.

I was alarmed to read someone had trouble playing their CD. I picked one out of our delivery at random and played it at the weekend. It was fine (and made me laugh yet again), but if you do have a faulty one please phone the office on 020 7349 8497 and we'll send you a replacement.

Regarding Speed on archive disc, it's a good idea and it has already occurred to us. As usual, it will depend on whether it is financially viable. But first we must concentrate on getting the Motor Sport archive up to date.

As for white out of black, yes, it's a thorny old problem. I hope most of you would agree that it isn't something we do all the time. But when you have photos shot on a black background, such as those of the C11 and the Noble in the new issue, it is justified - as long as the words can be read. On the proofs we had no problem with legibility and thought the pages looked terrific, but it is hugely frustrating that some copy is out of register in the C11 feature. Believe me, we'll be raising that with the printers.

I think that's everything for now. I will check in and answer any other questions, and I will indeed keep you informed about the US distribution when I have something meaningful to tell you.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Damien

#3105 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,102 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:08

As for white out of black, yes, it's a thorny old problem. I hope most of you would agree that it isn't something we do all the time. But when you have photos shot on a black background, such as those of the C11 and the Noble in the new issue, it is justified - as long as the words can be read. On the proofs we had no problem with legibility and thought the pages looked terrific, but it is hugely frustrating that some copy is out of register in the C11 feature. Believe me, we'll be raising that with the printers.

Sorry Damien, it's brave of you to come on here to respond to criticism, mostly to good effect, but as far as the white out of black thing is concerned, yours is a style over substance "Never mind the quality" defence. Any printer would tell you that this problem is inevitable at some point in a print run with a page like that one in the C11 article, there's just no way of avoiding it. I don't know how representative my copy is, but no-one I've shown it to can read it, even 10 and 12 year olds with perfect eyesight, and even if the printing had been perfect, it would still have been uncomfortable to read, so there's just no excuse for inflicting a page like that on the MS readership, and believe me, in twenty or thirty years time if not sooner, you'll be agreeing with us.

A great magazine of course, apart from that one page.

#3106 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,728 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:40

Regarding Speed on archive disc, it's a good idea and it has already occurred to us. As usual, it will depend on whether it is financially viable. But first we must concentrate on getting the Motor Sport archive up to date.

Okay, thanks for that. :) I'm not sure how practical or viable it would be, but perhaps it could be combined with some sort of contemporary picture archive covering (say) 1934-39 - but at all levels, not just the familiar GP cars. I'm sure the original plates (which Old Man Tee and WB kept recycling right through the war) are long gone, but what's the situation with any surviving original pictures and/or negatives from Motor Sport? Or did it all disappear into the maw of LAT?

#3107 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,411 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 14:00

...we have offered it for sale on our website at a very low price: £5 which includes p&p, which I think is pretty reasonable.
Damien

Very reasonable indeed! It is good to know this, because every now and then I get an inquiry as to where the GP of Gib is available, so now I have another place to refer.

As to your saying that you will keep us US readers up to date on developments on the sorry US distribution front, thanks much. I appreciate the effort and, as I said earlier, the straight scoop on the situation with no bull.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 30 November 2009 - 14:01.

#3108 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 15:03

Or did it all disappear into the maw of LAT?

As LAT was part of Teesdale Publishing, and supplied nearly all the photographic needs of Motor Sport and Motoring News I think it is correct to say that that is where everything is now, still in the LAT archive. What a treasure that was, although the last time I was able to browse was 33 years ago.

#3109 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 15:40

do we north american will have the bonus "ustinov CD" too, in the past we were often cheat, or even worst once there was in bonus a 69 lemans VHS in PAL !! in PAL :rolleyes:

#3110 bigears

bigears

• 867 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 20:43

Brilliant! thanks Damien, really appreciate you getting back to me, can't wait!

I can't wait especially on the 1990s editions.

I know this is a long shot and it would take many hours or even years to do but has an idea of archiving Autosport ever been raised or discussed in the past?

#3111 Rob

Rob

• 8,095 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 22:40

I know this is a long shot and it would take many hours or even years to do but has an idea of archiving Autosport ever been raised or discussed in the past?

An Autosport archive would be incredible. Lots of work for whoever has to scan it all, but hopefully it could happen at some point.

#3112 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:53

As LAT was part of Teesdale Publishing, and supplied nearly all the photographic needs of Motor Sport and Motoring News I think it is correct to say that that is where everything is now, still in the LAT archive. What a treasure that was, although the last time I was able to browse was 33 years ago.

It's been mentioned on TNF before, but the LAT archive is slowly appearing here:

http://www.austinharris.co.uk

Be warned, it's most addictive :wave:

Edited by mikeC, 01 December 2009 - 15:53.

#3113 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:18

It's been mentioned on TNF before, but the LAT archive is slowly appearing here:

http://www.austinharris.co.uk

Be warned, it's most addictive :wave:

Thank you very much for the link - you weren't wrong about it being addictive!

#3114 austinharris

austinharris

• 24 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 13:23

Thank you very much for the link - you weren't wrong about it being addictive!

It is very addictive and it's just me doing it!

Slowly working through the boxes...

#3115 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 13:37

I remember spending a whole day in the LAT archive in central london at the time, probably about 15 years ago searching for pictures of the Mini Cooper I now own, even while searching through the proof books finding only 1 picture clearly showing the rear of the car. They were unable to find the negative so, copied, blew up the proof and sent me it at no cost, great service (I did order numerous other pictures at the same time).

However I've heard it's no longer possible to do that and all enquires are only fullfilled by asking for pictures of a specific event etc and free reign to search is no longer allowed.

#3116 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 17:27

It is very addictive and it's just me doing it!

Slowly working through the boxes...

Faster, faster! Is Ms K.A still with LAT?

#3117 austinharris

austinharris

• 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:52

Faster, faster! Is Ms K.A still with LAT?

If you mean Kathy the yes. Arguably more important than the images themselves!

#3118 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 23:14

Kathy started a few years after I left, I don't know what she had been doing before but she very quickly became indispensible! I used the LAT darkroom for a while after leaving, so I got to know a few new staffers before I got my own facilities and lost touch.

#3119 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,012 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 23:48

Interesting that the price of bound volumes of MS seems to be sound, despite the digitised version.
9 volumes
11 volumes
18 volumes

Edited by Allan Lupton, 07 December 2009 - 23:49.

Advertisement

#3120 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 00:02

If you knew who to speak to at Teesdale you could your mags bound 'free', i.e very very cheap - hence my five volumes of bound Motoring News's, but only two or three gold-blocked.

#3121 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 00:02

If you knew who to speak to at Teesdale you could your mags bound 'free', i.e very very cheap - hence my five volumes of bound Motoring News's, but only two or three gold-blocked.

#3122 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:14

I'm a new member to these forums, and I must admit I find it a pleasant surprise to see Autosport allowing members to discuss, for nearly a decade, a rival magazine. Not only that, but to allow the magazine's editor to address issues with his magazine here.

Autosport can't be running scared of the opposition then.

I personally enjoy both magazines - having been buying both since I started getting enough pocket money in the late '80s. Roebuck's column is unmissable - the first thing I read when Motor Sport drops through the door. Autosport's GP reports are still THE definitive round-up as well, in my opinion.

Just one small gripe though, and I am seeking others' opinion here - Louisa Skipper's diary in Motor Sport just seems pointless to me. Just a load of photos of people she's met. Is she related to or attached to someone on the magazine? It's the only reason for this 'column's' existence that I can think of. Would it not be better off as a page of advertising? Or even a reprint of one of Jenks's old reports?

#3123 alansart

alansart

• 4,000 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:20

Just one small gripe though, and I am seeking others' opinion here - Louisa Skipper's diary in Motor Sport just seems pointless to me. Just a load of photos of people she's met. Is she related to or attached to someone on the magazine? It's the only reason for this 'column's' existence that I can think of. Would it not be better off as a page of advertising? Or even a reprint of one of Jenks's old reports?

I must admit I'm not a fan, but she's also Motor Sport's Marketing Manager, so does get to meet a few people.

Edited by alansart, 09 December 2009 - 12:21.

#3124 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:29

I must admit I'm not a fan, but she's also Motor Sport's Marketing Manager, so does get to meet a few people.

It would be better as a 'gap filler' in the news section, don't you think?

Just had a thought - why not use the free page to reprint old/classic ads. It's something different and it could be a 'reward' to regular advertisers. Car (the magazine) reprinted some old ads as part of their 'best of' books, and some are fantastic period pieces. Some are just plain sexist though - like the nubile lady in a Koni shock absorber ad.

Better than a load of photos of people at parties though.

Edited by Mansell4PM, 09 December 2009 - 12:30.

#3125 SEdward

SEdward

• 833 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 13:51

"Rival magazine"? Shurely shome mishtake...

Same publisher, different readerships.

That hardly makes them rivals.

Edward

#3126 alansart

alansart

• 4,000 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 13:57

Same publisher,

I thought Motor Sport left the Haymarket fold sometime ago.

#3127 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,302 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 13:58

"Rival magazine"? Shurely shome mishtake...

Same publisher, different readerships.

That hardly makes them rivals.

Edward

NOT the same publisher any longer - but they are not true rivals in the sense that one is a weekly, one a monthly, one a current news/gossip/misinformation/BS conduit and the other a more broadly analytical/nostalgic both current and Historic news/gossip/misinformation/BS conduit.... Ah, to some extent perhaps I see what you mean. :stoned:

DCN

#3128 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,685 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 18:49

Apart from that, the discussion started many years before Autosport owned the site...

#3129 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,561 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 19:32

I'm a new member to these forums, .....Just one small gripe though, and I am seeking others' opinion here -

Yes, and I see from your profile that you elect to hide behind a cloak of anonymity, which is a pretty unimpressive policy on this forum. On the subject of others' opinions, I am sure you will get them, especially if anyone responds to your 8.56 posts per day since you joined yesterday mid-afternoon. However, if you had seen fit to read through the entire Motor Sport thread you would see the journey that has been made by them and by us in discussions and in their very hazardous journey since leaving the Haymarket family.

You would also see why Louisa's page is salient, and why Jenks' writings are not there at the drop of a hat. The magazine has moved on, and then some. It is very much a case of " the king is dead, long live the king."

BTW I take it surveying is a bit quiet these days.
Roger Lund

#3130 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:17

Yes, and I see from your profile that you elect to hide behind a cloak of anonymity, which is a pretty unimpressive policy on this forum. On the subject of others' opinions, I am sure you will get them, especially if anyone responds to your 8.56 posts per day since you joined yesterday mid-afternoon. However, if you had seen fit to read through the entire Motor Sport thread you would see the journey that has been made by them and by us in discussions and in their very hazardous journey since leaving the Haymarket family.

You would also see why Louisa's page is salient, and why Jenks' writings are not there at the drop of a hat. The magazine has moved on, and then some. It is very much a case of " the king is dead, long live the king."

BTW I take it surveying is a bit quiet these days.
Roger Lund

A bit 'personal' this comment - is this not an unimpressive policy?

I'm certainly not going to mine your profile for ammo. I care not about personal details, just the content of this forum.

My only comments would be that reading this thread would take an awful long time (79 pages and counting..), and that due to my tender years I didn't get to read Jenks' report first time round. Maybe Jenks's reports are not as good as accepted wisdom has it, but I'd like to find out, particularly as Roebuck et al seem to hold him in such high regard.

Probably the best solution is for me to buy the digital archives . I better get saving.

#3131 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,982 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:36

A bit 'personal' this comment - is this not an unimpressive policy?

I'm certainly not going to mine your profile for ammo. I care not about personal details, just the content of this forum.

The completion or not as the case may be of one's profile details on TNF has long been a contentious issue Mansell4PM, so don't worry too much about it. I appreciate the detail but from a "human interest" viewpoint only, and completion is far from compulsory, a right which I fully uphold. :wave:

#3132 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,102 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:13

...due to my tender years I didn't get to read Jenks' report first time round. Maybe Jenks's reports are not as good as accepted wisdom has it, but I'd like to find out, particularly as Roebuck et al seem to hold him in such high regard.

Jenks was an important figure in motor sport history, and if you want to find out more, the best way would be to read the book of collected writings and reminiscences, Jenks: A Passion for Motor Sport. Some of his opinions might come as a bit of a shock to someone of 'tender years', but if you really are interested in the history of the sport, as almost all of us on TNF are, you'll learn a lot from it.

#3133 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:17

Jenks was an important figure in motor sport history, and if you want to find out more, the best way would be to read the book of collected writings and reminiscences, Jenks: A Passion for Motor Sport. Some of his opinions might come as a bit of a shock to someone of 'tender years', but if you really are interested in the history of the sport, as almost all of us on TNF are, you'll learn a lot from it.

Thanks. I'll try and get hold of a copy.

I'm here to try and learn, as it is becoming increasingly apparent to me how much great racing I have missed out on by being born too late.

#3134 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:30

Latest issue of this mag is brilliant.

I flip from hating to loving the writing in Motorsport, mostly down to the trenchant and usually partisan views of those that write in it (the quality of the writing itself is unquestionable). But when they turn out a good month's issue (as they have this month) it blows everything 50 feet out of the water.

#3135 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,982 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:44

Latest issue of this mag is brilliant.

I flip from hating to loving the writing in Motorsport, mostly down to the trenchant and usually partisan views of those that write in it (the quality of the writing itself is unquestionable). But when they turn out a good month's issue (as they have this month) it blows everything 50 feet out of the water.

That's because in the UK at least, there is nothing else! :well:

#3136 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,995 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:32

That's because in the UK at least, there is nothing else! :well:

Octane?
Classic & Sports car?
t'other similarly named one?

I see what you mean!

#3137 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:40

New podcast is available to download: http://www.motorspor...-nigel-roebuck/

Haven't listened to it yet.

#3138 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,982 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:47

Octane?
Classic & Sports car?
t'other similarly named one?

I see what you mean!

I put Classic & Sports Car, Octane & the other one as in direct competition with each other, and a 2 minute flick through them on the news stand is all I require of them. I really don't consider Motor Sport as to be in direct competition with any of them, or any other title. At least, that's my perception, for what it's worth. :blush:

Edited by Giraffe, 11 December 2009 - 11:47.

#3139 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 14:03

New podcast is available to download: http://www.motorspor...-nigel-roebuck/

Haven't listened to it yet.

I do quite like these. They sound like very heavy smokers though :)

Advertisement

#3140 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 19:42

While I still have some reservations about some aspects of Motor Sport and its focus at times, let it be said that I am nothing short of anything but amazed -- if not dumbfounded -- that it has managed to do nothing short of drag itself off the embalming table and become a magazine that is quite worth reading these days. I admit that I did not think it was possible, but Motor Sport has managed to do that. I have voted my gratitude with a renewal of my subscription, despite the rather pathetic mail delivery in the USA at the moment. It was fascinating for the November issue to arrive at the house just before Thanksgiving and then pick up the January issue was I passed through Heathrow on my way back here to the Sand Box. At least I got the Ustinov CD that way....

#3141 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 162 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 22:28

Finally got round to reading the latest edition with the infamous white on black text Sauber Mercedes article. I probably have a good clean print, but my 50 year old eyes and vari-focals can cope. It also looks right with the photo above it (that's what A level Art qualifies you to comment on, apparently !!!)

Really enjoy Motor Sport these days, including the podcast - keep up the good work.

Now Mr Editor, what do I have to do to be invited to join the "lunch with" interview ?

David

#3142 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 466 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 00:26

David ????

#3143 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,995 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:52

Credit where credit's due. My Ustinov CD was duff. I sent it back and they sent a replacement by return of post.

#3144 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,728 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 00:10

Posted Image

?

#3145 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,411 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 00:50

Vitesse,
First ghoti, then Duff beer, you are ON today! :up:
Tom

#3146 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:38

Christmas treat: the December issue delivered on the Eve!

#3147 Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

• 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 15:39

Christmas treat: the December issue delivered on the Eve!

Funny that..I received my Dec issue approx 10 days ago here in Ohio. Seems to be getting better, but inconsistant.

#3148 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 382 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 16:37

Funny that..I received my Dec issue approx 10 days ago here in Ohio. Seems to be getting better, but inconsistant.

Still don't have December in Texas.

#3149 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 18:28

Is it November? I know Texas is backwards compared to say, Arizona, but that's ridiculous!

#3150 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 00:49

Welcome - if now traditional - Christmas gift was the Motor Sport calendar, duly unwrapped today.

After a couple of 'okay' years the 2010 one looks utterly superb. Obviously it's helped by having a great subject focus (1960s sportscars) but the quality and selection of photographs seems particularly good.

Congrats and thanks really are deserved for the production of such a superb product - it's going to be much appreciated on the kitchen wall next year - and I'm almost in a hurry to remove last years, good as December's photo (Moss pushing his BRM) is.