Posted 29 December 2009 - 13:15

When's the February issue due out?

Officially December 31st. :wave:

#3153 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 13:29

Officially December 31st. :wave:

Thanks, looking for something decent to read and pull me away from the dire Christmas television schedules!

#3154 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:42

It's at the newsagents now; purchased my copy today! :wave:

#3155 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:50

:eek: Not in my mailbox yet! :mad:

#3156 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:55

Yep, bought a copy today. Quick flick-through and it looks pretty good.

#3157 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:48

Friends:

Here in the western US, I finished reading the December issue last night. In a way, it matters little to me when each issue arrives, just that it does so. Years ago I looked forward to the arrival of every issue, then for too many years it didn't really matter much, but now I again look forward to seeing each issue. As advertising support has faded, most American automotive enthusiast magazines have turned to near-worthless pap. Kudos to the Motor Sport staff for turning it back into a magazine worth reading!

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 31 December 2009 - 04:51.

#3158 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,433 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 18:05

Well said Frank. The former number one of US car magazines, Road & Track, has turned into an embarrassment. Month after month of the same dreck, nothing but road tests of various indistinguishable sedans, all praised because the mag does not want to hack off the advertisers which remain. The Track portion has virtually disappeared. The only thing worthwhile in that mag now is the Peter Egan column and occasional article.

I notice that its circulation is down from over 700,000 to the 500,000 range. Must be a reason for that.

Tom

#3159 Brynmor

Brynmor

• 101 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 21:11

:eek: Not in my mailbox yet! :mad:

Likewise, second month running and third time in last 6 months that it's been in WH Smiths upto 7 days before my subscription copy. I was holding off complaining thinking it was just me living in the sticks but seems not!!

Advertisement

#3160 red stick

red stick

• 2,291 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 23:25

Here in the western US, I finished reading the December issue last night. In a way, it matters little to me when each issue arrives, just that it does so.

Same here. Frankly, they tend to stack up until I can get to them. Good thing it's largely about the past--were it more topical, I'd really be behind!

#3161 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:05

hope this is the right thread to ask this in.

Saw the Feb issue out already and seems there is an article on Nuvolari. Anyone know if this is any good ? Not read much on him and always keen to find out more.

#3162 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:15

Saw the Feb issue out already and seems there is an article on Nuvolari. Anyone know if this is any good ? Not read much on him and always keen to find out more.

This issue hasn't come through my letterbox yet, so I don't know if it's good or not.

However, in all probability it will be. At least 90% of the magazine always is. If you're wanting to learn, go ahead and buy it. In fact, subscribe. Subjects I never would have thought of looking up have appeared in Motor Sport and they have all been fascinating.

It's worth the cover price for Roebuck, Boddy and Nye's columns anyway IMHO. The articles and other features are just a big bonus on top.

#3163 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:16

It's an excellent article entitled "On the trail of Tazio" by Rob Widdows concerning a new exhibition in his home town of Mantua paying tribute to his skills behind both wheel and camera.
Motor Sport is a wonderful publication but I would never dream of subscribing to it; I've had my off the shelf copy for almost a week already, and read it cover to cover! :love:

#3164 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,616 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 22:54

The quality and enjoyment of the Piper article is an especial bonus for me as this month's issue marks the 600th copy of MS which I have bought, and completes my 50 years as a reader of the magazine. My thanks to all who have made it so enjoyable over the half century.
Exits stage left to collect gold watch
Roger Lund

I am not one to complain, but it seems unfortunate that the non-arrival of the current issue on my doormat is delaying the start of my 52nd year of MS readership, made even worse when I saw it on the racks in Waitrose prior to last weekend. It is nothing to do with the adverse weather, since the usual unwanted junkmail post continues to grace my doorway with tedious regularity, and the other periodicals to which I subscribe have all arrived in a timely fashion, early even.
Patience is a virtue, especially, as others have said, when the content is not insistently topical. Perhaps I could borrow Tony Gallagher's copy...
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 05 January 2010 - 22:54.

#3165 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 22:57

I too am still waiting...

#3166 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:31

I three.

Although I haven't even had junk mail for 2 days.

#3167 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:36

I'm also waiting.

Even more annoying is that our bins haven't been emptied for a month so I've not received what I DO want and can't get rid of what I DON'T.

:mad:

#3168 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:38

I've not received what I DO want and can't get rid of what I DON'T.

That more or less sums up life in general, I feel.

#3169 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:52

I three.

Although I haven't even had junk mail for 2 days.

There have been no mail deliveries in Southport since last Friday. The whole place is slowly shutting down - no buses today!

:wave:

#3170 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:59

At last! Mine has just arrived.

#3171 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:47

Not arrived in Hertfordshire either...
P.S. My bins have been emptied though!!

#3172 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:18

At last! Mine has just arrived.

Mine too :up:

#3173 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 348 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:20

Hopefully mine will be on the mat tonight then, despite the "blizzard" conditions here in the SE...

#3174 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 638 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:41

Dublin , we had it on Saturday, good read.

#3175 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:36

It was our turn in the South West to have a dumping of snow so my copy of the magazine has yet to find its way to Nynehead via the Royal Mail. Such a pity as is it is always a good read.

As the editor of the magazine peruses this thread regularly perhaps he would like to explain why UK subscribers are always the last to receive their copies. It is normally the opposite for those who subscribe to a publication. Cannot something be done about this - the distributors need to get their act together.

Finally to digress, I note that the subscriber element of the Autosport website currently features articles on Audi and Cart / IRL - yet the latest hard copy issue of the Austosport magazine is just full of pap and dross - exception being that really moving Surtees article and the remembrance of others who passed away during the past year. Obviously this edition went to press pre Christmas and there is nothing to add to it that was not identified in the previous issue but really this current issue is really a cop-out. Next to come in January will be page after page of filler on the Autosport show at the NEC!

I do believe the readership is being short-changed these days - obviously Haymarket is trying to generate income across the board - magazines / online - by spreading their butter thinly! No wonder sales of the magazine are in decline - yes, I know it is a trend across many magazines, but this indifference is just another waymark in the sad decline of what was once a very good and eagerly awaited publication. Therefore, it is very much appreciated that those who output Motor Sport continue to swim against the tide of lazy and tired journalism.

#3176 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:43

You're obviously on the favoured side of Hemel, Gregor :wave:

#3177 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:52

Not arrived in Hertfordshire either...

No Motor Sport delivery and no bin collection ):

#3178 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:55

I do believe the readership is being short-changed these days - obviously Haymarket is trying to generate income across the board - magazines / online - by spreading their butter thinly! No wonder sales of the magazine are in decline - yes, I know it is a trend across many magazines, but this indifference is just another waymark in the sad decline of what was once a very good and eagerly awaited publication. Therefore, it is very much appreciated that those who output Motor Sport continue to swim against the tide of lazy and tired journalism.

Didn't Motor Sport leave the Haymarket fold some time ago :confused:

#3179 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:59

Didn't Motor Sport leave the Haymarket fold some time ago :confused:

I am fully aware of the fact that Motor Sport is now not a Haymarket publication and has not been so for a couple of years at least - I did precede my comments in my post with 'Finally to digress'. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Edited by retriever, 06 January 2010 - 14:09.

Advertisement

#3180 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:00

It's now arrived ( unlike the binmen ) :)

#3181 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:05

I am fully aware of the fact that Motor Sport is now not a Haymarket publication and has not been so for acouple of years at least - I did precede my comments in my post with 'Finally to digress'. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Serves me right for not reading your post properly - doh :blush:

#3182 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 16:07

Mine arrived this morning.Worth waiting for.Several excellent articles including one by Desire Wilson,with a lot of background to her racing efforts.Those who have not received their copies must blame the postal system /current weather I guess.Never did understand why it arrives a month before cover date.Sky magazines for JANUARY only arrived yesterday,which was first post since Dec24.

#3183 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:37

As the editor of the magazine peruses this thread regularly perhaps he would like to explain why UK subscribers are always the last to receive their copies. It is normally the opposite for those who subscribe to a publication. Cannot something be done about this - the distributors need to get their act together.

errrr, we in the States are still waiting to have our January issues delivered while you are arguing over February.
Tom

#3184 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:46

errrr, we in the States are still waiting to have our January issues delivered while you are arguing over February.
Tom

Well, we cannot have the colonies receiving a better service than the mother country!

Seriously, all this pre-month issue dating is really getting ridiculous. One of the magazine we regularly advertise in is now going over to a four weekly publication cycle rather than a month. So, in some months there will be two issues. This is partly to beat the opposition and partly to increase revenues.

www.nynehead-books.co.uk

Edited by retriever, 06 January 2010 - 18:47.

#3185 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:50

Am I the only one here who is very bored with never ending statements on whether Motor Sport has arrived or not?

How about the bleedin' content?

PS. Mine hasn't arrived yet :cry:

#3186 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:53

Am I the only one here who is very bored with never ending statements on whether Motor Sport has arrived or not?

:rotfl:

#3187 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:01

[quote name='David Beard' post='4067245' date='Jan 6 2010, 18:50'] Am I the only one here who is very bored with never ending statements on whether Motor Sport has arrived or not?

Well, I would love to discuss the content - but my issue has not arrived yet! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Edited by retriever, 06 January 2010 - 19:03.

#3188 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:04

See post 2975.

#3189 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 282 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 13:20

I for one always bought MS on the basis of whether it had anything I wanted to read in it, but last year I succumbed to a tempting VSCC offer of two years' subscription to gain a free copy of the older years of MS on a DVD. So far both aspects of the deal have disappointed save perhaps for the Roebuck expose on what's really wrong with F1, namely the iron grip that was Ecclestone's being passed surruptitiously to my bank of forty plus years, RBS, which explains the everpresent logo in almost every frame...

Having read Roebuck, I don't bother to watch this game any more as its not a game played by rules any normal mortal can understand, and when finally the right person wins, they are usually disqualified for infringement of some silly rule or other... :confused:

Also the DVD is poorly scanned and not properly cross referenced so one might as well read it from end to end as the sort of thing I was hoping to find is never searchable... :(

So maybe my postman would agree to cut out the middleman and just post my copy in my bin which hansn't been emptied yet!!

#3190 Damien Smith

Damien Smith

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 13:59

Dear all,

Firstly, happy new year to everyone.

I apologise for the late delivery of the February issue. When we returned to the office this week we faced many complaints from subscribers. We made some enquiries to our printer only to be told the issue had been mailed on time. It must be the effects of Christmas post and the bad weather, we thought. But we have subsequently been told that it was indeed mailed late - on December 31 rather than December 23, as was scheduled.

I cannot tell you all how angry I am right now. We will be conducting a thorough investigation into why this happened and will do everything in our power to stop it happening again. I am more than aware that our distribution in the UK has serious flaws, but it is not something anyone here is ignoring. In fact, we are about to bring our subscriptions department in-house.

At most magazines, sub departments are run by separate companies, which is why, when you phone the subs number, you end up speaking to someone who knows very little about the magazine in question. As we are a small, independently-owned magazine, we've decided to change this. A subs assistant started in our office in December and a new manager is joining us later this month. In future, all subs calls will be handled in our own office. The issues will still be distributed by the printer (there's no way we can physically do so from our office and logistically it would only add to the delivery time), but we will have full control of the database and should be able to react to problems faster and more directly. It's going to be a new challenge for us, but I think it will be worth it. Hopefully you'll all benefit from an improved and more personal service, which should be fully functional by the spring.

On the US problems, we are continuing our review of how we can improve the service. The January issue was mailed earlier this week and the February issue will be following in the next couple of weeks. We are trying to bring the service closer into line with the UK so that eventually American readers will receive the most recent copy just a couple of weeks after the British readers. It is not the work of a moment, but we will get there.

Tidying up both the UK and overseas distribution is a priority for 2010. Please do continue to give me your feedback because it is useful.

Once again, I am very sorry for the problems. It is not a good way to start the new year and I want answers from our printers because it reflects very badly on Motor Sport.

Best regards

Damien

Edited by Damien Smith, 07 January 2010 - 14:08.

#3191 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 14:09

Thanks for the info Damien.

I haven't seen a Postman for nearly a week, due to holidays and the weather, so it's not all at fault your end. I have a brilliant Postman, so if he can't get out things must be bad!

#3192 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 15:49

Begging your pardon, but this is total nonsense. I gave up my subscription for delivery to France solely because of the long delivery time, which was usually about three weeks from publication.

#3193 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 456 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:04

I subscribe a to few magazines, motoring and otherwise and they invariably get to me before they hit the newstands.

I am glad to hear this is being addressed and also that the editor does take note of what his readers say.

#3194 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:14

Begging your pardon, but this is total nonsense. I gave up my subscription for delivery to France solely because of the long delivery time, which was usually about three weeks from publication.

My post was in respect of the situation in the UK market although the wording might appear contradictory - one can understand the reasoning why subscribers in Europe and overseas countries might see a slight delay in receiving their copies. However, it is pretty lamentable that the English Channel appears to have the characteristics of an ocean in hampering delivery by three weeks to customers in France.

I

#3195 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:31

My post was in respect of the situation in the UK market although the wording might appear contradictory - one can understand the reasoning why subscribers in Europe and overseas countries might see a slight delay in receiving their copies. However, it is pretty lamentable that the English Channel appears to have the characteristics of an ocean in hampering delivery by three weeks to customers in France.

I

You posted "As the editor of the magazine peruses this thread regularly perhaps he would like to explain why UK subscribers are always the last to receive their copies."
You think "the wording might appear contradictory"
Seems more defamatory than contradictory.

#3196 retriever

retriever

• 396 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:57

You posted "As the editor of the magazine peruses this thread regularly perhaps he would like to explain why UK subscribers are always the last to receive their copies."
You think "the wording might appear contradictory"
Seems more defamatory than contradictory.

Defamatory - come on, hardly. Based on performance over the past year as far as I am concerned. Anyway, good on Damien Smith to visit us and explain.

#3197 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:01

I think the following explains Retriever's intention in posting the original comment.

My post was in respect of the situation in the UK market although the wording might appear contradictory

I agree. I currently subscribe to several motor racing magazines and Motor Sport is the only one that regularly arrives on my doormat AFTER the WH Smith's branch in town has it for sale.

As a subscriber I would like my copy to arrive prior to the magazine going on sale to the general public. Other magazines can manage this why not Motor Sport?

:wave:

Edited by Stephen W, 07 January 2010 - 17:02.

#3198 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:25

Oh no back here again!

#3199 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:43

I really don't understand this - if you want MS but are not a subscriber, buy it when it appears in your local newsagent. If you are a subscriber, wait until it drops onto your doormat, then enjoy it. If you are not happy with delivery times - unsubscribe. If the magazine is so important that cancelling a subscription an unbearable thought, wait.

Damien Smith has explained what the problems are and his plans to improve the situation - I don't see that he can do much more, and at least you now know that someone in a position to make changes has listened and cares. We're not talking about waiting for kidney dialysis...

Advertisement

#3200 alansart

alansart

• 4,037 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:54

I don't know when it appears in the shops as I never look. I don't look at the next publication date as to be honest I'm not really bothered. As long it arrives on my once a month and more importantly the content is good - which it generally is - then I'm happy.

I do think that trying to publish a magazine between Christmas and New Year is not the best idea as the country seems to grind to a halt for a few days, even without the white stuff falling down. Part of my business is putting together ad pages for a couple of magazines, and this time of year is always difficult to coordinate each department.