Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:47

Happy Birthday WB.

Thank you for many years of enjoyment :up:

Advertisement

#3352 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:55

Good old Bod. Many more happy returns indeed...

On matters discussed earlier in this thread,...................... Not so Max Miller, Round the Horn, Al Read, and Anthony Aloysius Hancock.

DCN

What an amazing age, I do hope he is well. My only ever contact with him directly was one 'phone call..

Many more indeed.
Tony Hancock sadly missed !

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#3353 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,132 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 15:14

Many congrats to WB - the Track and its crowd would seem much more remote without his careful chronicling and the motoring firmament much more wobbly wiihout his presence.

Edited by Odseybod, 22 February 2010 - 15:15.

#3354 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 15:16

:up:

Re Robin Herd, Chris Amon and the "obviously 3.3-3.5-litre" BRM V12 which outstripped their March 701 in the 1970 Belgian GP, see the 'Motor Sport' currently under preparation in which I intend to present the truth, one way or t'other...

DCN

:up: Looking forward to that Doug, so glad that it wasn't left to fester.

#3355 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 16:22

:up:
:up: Looking forward to that Doug, so glad that it wasn't left to fester.

I must say I have been surprised in recent times to have had both drivers and entrants admit to be that they chanced running oversized engines at both national and international level in years gone by. It was easy to do and not easy to detect, and I never really thought about the possibility in period. I will say I've never been told about it occurring in Formula One, so we'll have to wait for Doug to spill the beans on that one. :smoking:

Edited by Giraffe, 22 February 2010 - 17:17.

#3356 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 17:06

... running oversized engines...

I've never been told about it occurring in Formula One...

This is only hearsay from a fairly senior McLaren person, but there were widespread rumours at the time that Andrea de Adamich used a suspiciously powerful, possibly oversized Alfa V8, at the Österreichring and at Monza in 1970, maybe in Canada at Mont Tremblant as well, which put his Alfa-powered M14D farther up the grid than it had ever been before in a generally uncompetitive year. Probably fairly safe though, as Italian scrutineers were never going to chuck out an Alfa Romeo at Monza, were they?

#3357 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 17:38

Don't really think that the last few posts should remain in a Motor Sport magazine thread, might it be an idea to separate them? There's bound to be further discussion in this vein after Doug's article appears, I know we have at least one 'cheating' thread already of course, but this is a fairly important topic that might get lost therein.

#3358 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 17:45

Don't really think that the last few posts should remain in a Motor Sport magazine thread, might it be an idea to separate them? There's bound to be further discussion in this vein after Doug's article appears, I know we have at least one 'cheating' thread already of course, but this is a fairly important topic that might get lost therein.

As the catalyst to this was an article published in the magazine, and we are awaiting Doug's response also therein, it probably justifies being here for now.

Edited by Giraffe, 22 February 2010 - 17:46.

#3359 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:19

has anyone seen the Motor Sport track test mag that is out. Saw the cover in WH SMiths the other day and looks quite good plus one of the cars is a 917 so makes it worth buying for that alone

Advertisement

#3360 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:56

Agree. Perhaps Twinny could oblige?

#3361 MCS

MCS

• 3,561 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 22:07

Not sure where to post this, but there is a very interesting interview with Brian Redman on the Motor Sport website which, I'm sure, will appeal to many on here.

I don't know why it's called a "podcast" but, even so, apart from one or two gormless remarks initially by people who really shouldn't have been involved it's worth a listen. God alone knows why they can't just leave Roebuck to do these things on a one to one basis.

Pity it wasn't longer.

#3362 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 22:12

Not sure where to post this, but there is a very interesting interview with Brian Redman on the Motor Sport website which, I'm sure, will appeal to many on here.

I don't know why it's called a "podcast" but, even so, apart from one or two gormless remarks initially by people who really shouldn't have been involved it's worth a listen. God alone knows why they can't just leave Roebuck to do these things on a one to one basis.

Pity it wasn't longer.

Hmm, IIRC it was originally planned to be with Mario Andretti as well as Brian?!?!

#3363 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 22:56

It was a two parter. Mario last week, Brian this week and happy to say I had a question answered on part two :love:

#3364 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 23:23

Pity it wasn't longer.

Well it was 45 mins and 18 secs! Really excellent listening & as I've said on other threads, can't wait for his book! :cat:

#3365 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 00:22

I was rather disappointed by the Mario podcast due to the amount of time spent ( at the expense of discussion of his own career ) on his efforts to convince everyone that Michael was an F1 World Champion in the making with no one seemingly prepared to contradict him. In fact by the sound of the background guffaws that frequently occurred throughout for no apparent reason there seemed rather a lot of sycophancy going on ( or maybe there was a problem with the microphones :rolleyes: )

With the Brian Redman ( or should I call him Mozart !! ) podcast, it all felt so much more relaxed, human and spontaneous rather than rehashing almost word for word stuff that's been reported in the media for 40 years or so. It was also more interesting !! Looking forward to the book

#3366 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:57

I have never done podcasts until these and they are a joy.I don't mind the guffawing and badinage- it sounds like three or four enthusiasts having a civilised and informed chat- and that is what it is .The John Watson one is excellent too- not a man to sit on the fence isn't our John. Mario is just brilliant- ok he talks about Michael's doomed F1 foray a bit but so what? (I am possibly the only European who thought Michael was a seriously quick driver stacked up against difficult circumstances). Mario's description of driving turbo GP cars was enthralling.

#3367 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 21:59

has anyone seen the Motor Sport track test mag that is out. Saw the cover in WH SMiths the other day and looks quite good plus one of the cars is a 917 so makes it worth buying for that alone

As a result of spotting this post, I've scanned the news stands but not seen this publication at all. :confused:

I'll be surprised if this hasn't been suggested before, but I'd love to see a compilation of the "Lunch with....." series. :cat:

Edited by Giraffe, 01 March 2010 - 22:37.

#3368 Cara

Cara

• 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:24

As a result of spotting this post, I've scanned the news stands but not seen this publication at all. :confused:

I'll be surprised if this hasn't been suggested before, but I'd love to see a compilation of the "Lunch with....." series. :cat:

Motor Sport Classic Track Tests should be available from Smiths and other bookshops. It's a compilation of the best articles from Motor Sport featuring some of the greatest racing cars, including the Porsche 917 and 962, 1960s Cooper and Lotus F1 cars, pre-war Bugatti T35 and Aston Martin's DBR1 Le Mans winner. Included is a DVD of archive footage of many of these cars, from the 1929 Monaco Grand Prix to Group C sports cars from the 80s.

Classic Track Tests can be bought directly from Motor Sport, just give me a bell on the subscriptions number :)

A compilation of the "Lunch with . . . " series hasn't been suggested, to my knowledge, but it's not a bad idea! We'll keep you posted . . .

Cara

Motor Sport Magazine

#3369 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:28

Thankyou Cara! That's excellent feedback! I shall go look for the "Classic Track Tests" issue this morning! :up: :wave:

Edited by Giraffe, 02 March 2010 - 09:29.

#3370 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:02

I saw it in Smiths. I'm off on holidays in a few weeks so might buy it then for some reading. Think I have the 917 test already but the others aren't in my collection.

#3371 Cara

Cara

• 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:31

You're welcome, always happy to help :wave:

Since found out that a compilation of lunches is in fact being considered by the editorial team - not going to be an immediate project, but watch this space . . . :)

#3372 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:49

I think it's quite admirable the way that Motor Sport people from Editor downwards come on TNF to answer queries and sort out problems, but now we have your attention Cara, can you answer something for me? Why is it only new subscribers to MS who have free DVDs thrust at them, while long-term faithful subscribers (like me) have to pay about £40 for the things? Could we perhaps be offered a preferential rate?

#3373 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,077 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 13:07

I think it's quite admirable the way that Motor Sport people from Editor downwards come on TNF to answer queries and sort out problems, ~

I'll second that sentiment :up:

#3374 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 13:35

Could we perhaps be offered a preferential rate?

Aren't you already getting a discount on your sub?

#3375 Cara

Cara

• 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 13:47

Why is it only new subscribers to MS who have free DVDs thrust at them, while long-term faithful subscribers (like me) have to pay about £40 for the things? Could we perhaps be offered a preferential rate?

I'm happy to say that we are currently in the process of bringing all our subscription management in house and the higher level of control this gives us has offered the chance to completely overhaul our renewal and subscription policies. Various possible benefits to existing subscribers are being considered, all of equal value to, if not better than, those offered to new subscribers.

These renewal offers will be rolling out over the few months or so. As ever, any feedback is gratefully received - we do listen and try to respond as much as we can.

Cara

Motor Sport Magazine

#3376 retriever

retriever

• 394 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 14:13

I'm happy to say that we are currently in the process of bringing all our subscription management in house and the higher level of control this gives us has offered the chance to completely overhaul our renewal and subscription policies. Various possible benefits to existing subscribers are being considered, all of equal value to, if not better than, those offered to new subscribers.

These renewal offers will be rolling out over the few months or so. As ever, any feedback is gratefully received - we do listen and try to respond as much as we can.

Cara

Motor Sport Magazine

To get feedback replies so immediate as this deserves real applause. Remember that it benefits the magazine more - and therefore helps the continuance of its publication - if you subscribe rather than buy off the shelf at Smiths or wherever.

#3377 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,426 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 14:50

Time to throw in a thank you to the Motor Sport staff for the correction of the US subscription problem. As US subscribers are well aware, the delivery of the mag in the States went into the toilet the last part of 2009 when the US agent was changed. For three or four months the mags came well over a month behind the previous delivery schedule. Damien Smith came on here with a description of the problem and a promise to correct it. I am please to say that the last two months copies were delivered much faster than previously. E.G., I received the March issue last week whereas by the schedule of the several months prior it would have come around the first of April.

Yes, I realize that this is still slower than the UK recipients, but it certainly is an improvement and as has been pointed out here, MS really is not a time sensitive publication.

All those words really mean is that Damien and the staff have listened and are responsive. Thanks!
Tom

#3378 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 22:00

Motor Sport Classic Track Tests should be available from Smiths and other bookshops. It's a compilation of the best articles from Motor Sport featuring some of the greatest racing cars, including the Porsche 917 and 962, 1960s Cooper and Lotus F1 cars, pre-war Bugatti T35 and Aston Martin's DBR1 Le Mans winner. Included is a DVD of archive footage of many of these cars, from the 1929 Monaco Grand Prix to Group C sports cars from the 80s.

Classic Track Tests can be bought directly from Motor Sport, just give me a bell on the subscriptions number :)

A compilation of the "Lunch with . . . " series hasn't been suggested, to my knowledge, but it's not a bad idea! We'll keep you posted . . .

Cara

Motor Sport Magazine

Looks like I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow; WH Smith in Kings Heath, the two Birmingham city centre branches and the Solihull branch had never seen or heard of "Motor Sport Classic Track Tests" when visited today. Most surprising! :well:

#3379 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 180 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:00

Back reading Motor Sport thanks to picking up 280 magazines from a Glasgow auction site. All are before 1995 and many years are complete.

Advertisement

#3380 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 14:35

I've just spoken to Cara at Motor Sport and she's discovered that WH Smith have not put "Classic Track Tests" out to it's branches yet! (The branch manager at Solihull called me back this morning to say they'd never heard of it! :blush: )
As a result of this thread, Cara & Co. are sorting the problem out and I ordered a copy together with a copy of the April edition of Motor Sport which Cara promises she'll mail out to me tonight!

TNF strikes again! :up:

Thankyou Cara! :wave:

#3381 maplestone71

maplestone71

• 59 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 23:02

I'll try not to spoil too much of the surprise for those who haven't received this month's edition, mine arrived today ...

But I have to say Derek Warwick's tale in this month's "Lunch with ..." piece of his response to Prof Watkins' questions following his Monza 1990 first lap shunt and prior to allowing him to take the re-start has had me in stitches - worth the cover price alone ...

Jon

#3382 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:34

My copy of Motor Sport "Classic Track Tests" arrived this morning along with DVD, and it looks excellent! My copy of the April edition of the magazine arrived too, and I was as surprised as maplestone71 to learn that Derek Warwick thought he was someone else...... :drunk:

Edited by Giraffe, 05 March 2010 - 12:34.

#3383 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:40

Now Cara......Why don't you offer all TNF members a super monster discount offer on the whole package , some of us who had a 30 + yr run of the magazine might get tempted back ?

#3384 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:50

Now Cara......Why don't you offer all TNF members a super monster discount offer on the whole package , some of us who had a 30 + yr run of the magazine might get tempted back ?

You really are in need of some urgent therapy Richard, going by these recent pics of your abode..... :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with DiMAGE F100 at 2010-02-07

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with DiMAGE F100 at 2010-02-07

#3385 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,409 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 23:25

Time to throw in a thank you to the Motor Sport staff for the correction of the US subscription problem. As US subscribers are well aware, the delivery of the mag in the States went into the toilet the last part of 2009 when the US agent was changed. For three or four months the mags came well over a month behind the previous delivery schedule. Damien Smith came on here with a description of the problem and a promise to correct it. I am please to say that the last two months copies were delivered much faster than previously. E.G., I received the March issue last week whereas by the schedule of the several months prior it would have come around the first of April.

Yes, I realize that this is still slower than the UK recipients, but it certainly is an improvement and as has been pointed out here, MS really is not a time sensitive publication.

All those words really mean is that Damien and the staff have listened and are responsive. Thanks!
Tom

Apparently the correction hasn't hit Florida yet....

Jack

#3386 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 21:20

Re Robin Herd, Chris Amon and the "obviously 3.3-3.5-litre" BRM V12 which outstripped their March 701 in the 1970 Belgian GP, see the 'Motor Sport' currently under preparation in which I intend to present the truth, one way or t'other...

DCN

I can't find any reference to this in the April edition Doug; May perhaps??? :cat:

#3387 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 21:49

I probably will not be tempted back as a subscriber, some years ago I was , but the mag got worse and worse , which judging from this thread might have turned a bit , but besides , I really got tired often noting special offers for NEW subscribers , as well that I not being British NEVER got the EXTRAS ( supplements - DVD's or other offers)!

#3388 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 22:17

I really got tired often noting special offers for NEW subscribers , as well that I not being British NEVER got the EXTRAS ( supplements - DVD's or other offers)!

I raised this point quite recently, feeling that even UK long-term subscribers weren't always getting a good deal. Cara promised a few posts ago to fix this, and I'm sure we can trust her to do just that.

#3389 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,403 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 22:34

I can't find any reference to this in the April edition Doug; May perhaps??? :cat:

Indeed - I can never work out which issue date is being worked on. The truth of that Belgian GP win is done and dusted, in any case - less a bit held back for V4... :smoking:

DCN

#3390 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:07

... less a bit held back for V4... :smoking:

DCN

You old tease.

BTW, compliments to Mrs N on her description of the Bahrain track as a playmat. Two wordsmiths under the same roof. You must have great Scrabble games...

Edited by P0wderf1nger, 16 March 2010 - 10:08.

#3391 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:26

The May issue of Motor Sport has just dropped through the letterbox

The magazine celebrates 60 years of the Formula One World Championship

Flicking through the pages two stunning images jump out ......... one of Senna and the other of Cevert both taken at Monaco :)

PAR

#3392 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,470 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 13:14

Page 132. "No Need For Cheating."

#3393 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 17:02

I think it's quite admirable the way that Motor Sport people from Editor downwards come on TNF to answer queries and sort out problems, but now we have your attention Cara, can you answer something for me? Why is it only new subscribers to MS who have free DVDs thrust at them, while long-term faithful subscribers (like me) have to pay about £40 for the things? Could we perhaps be offered a preferential rate?

DVDs and CDs are fine, but for those of us of advancing years a magnifying glass would be much more useful, and would allow us to read the tiny snippets which must be really interesting but to us are just a blur.
Chris

#3394 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 19:14

You should be able to "zoom in" to the relevant section...

#3395 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,403 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 19:47

BTW, compliments to Mrs N on her description of the Bahrain track as a playmat. Two wordsmiths under the same roof. You must have great Scrabble games...

Getting beaten out of sight by The Management is great for retaining a proper sense of perspective.

DCN

#3396 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 19:51

Getting beaten out of sight by The Management is great for retaining a proper sense of perspective.

DCN

You are a sad loss to the Diplomatic Corp., Doug.;)

PS Do we get the BRM 3.5 lowdown this issue?

Edited by Giraffe, 31 March 2010 - 19:53.

#3397 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,894 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 19:58

You are a sad loss to the Diplomatic Corp., Doug.;)

PS Do we get the BRM 3.5 lowdown this issue?

Yes :clap:

I pounced upon it, even before the ever excellent "lunch with".

#3398 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 20:03

Yes :clap:

I pounced upon it, even before the ever excellent "lunch with".

Won't pick up mine till tomorrow, so mum's the word, ok David? ;)

#3399 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 20:40

Won't pick up mine till tomorrow, so mum's the word, ok David?;)

The butler did it.

Advertisement

#3400 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 20:42

The butler did it.

With the spanner in the pit garage :)

PAR