Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3401 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:54

Well Doug, if your two pages of well-reasoned defence of BRM at Spa in 1970 did exclude detail you're holding back for Vol 4, then all I can say is roll on Vol 4!

The story of Rodríguez's oversized engine has got a lot of airplay down the years. After this article, it's high time that those responsible either put up or shut up.

Advertisement

#3402 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:41

The magazine celebrates 60 years of the Formula One World Championship

...but blows it by saying on the cover that 1950-2010 is 60 years

Edited by David McKinney, 01 April 2010 - 09:42.

#3403 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:57

...but blows it by saying on the cover that 1950-2010 is 60 years

But it's a better 'shape' and we know what they mean..............,don't we? Here we go again........."retriever!!!" ;)

Edited by Giraffe, 01 April 2010 - 09:58.

#3404 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:01

Here we go again........."retriever!!!" ;)

Please, don't give him any encouragement.

#3405 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,999 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 21:10

Doug Nye's BRM piece was the best thing the magazine has published for a very long time. I wish they would do more like that. I particularly enjoyed the phrase " I have probably done more than most to record BRM's true history" - Understatement of the decade?

Somebody of the same name wrote an article about Grand Prix racing in the '50s. It started with an excellent anecdote about Giovan Guidotti but later told us that Luigi Musso was killed at Spa...

#3406 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 21:18

Somebody of the same name wrote an article about Grand Prix racing in the '50s. It started with an excellent anecdote about Giovan Guidotti but later told us that Luigi Musso was killed at Spa...

Blimey, so he is human after all................. ;)

#3407 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 21:45

Blimey, so he is human after all.................;)

It's a little-known fact that the locals around Reims habitually refer to the place of their birth as "Spa"...

#3408 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 21:58

It's a little-known fact that the locals around Reims habitually refer to the place of their birth as "Spa"...

No Rob, that's where they shop....................

#3409 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,308 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 22:26

Doug Nye's BRM piece was the best thing the magazine has published for a very long time. I wish they would do more like that. I particularly enjoyed the phrase " I have probably done more than most to record BRM's true history" - Understatement of the decade?

Well done Roger - hrrmmmpphh umm - I wondered which one of the platoon would spot that first. (Oh ----) :blush:

DCN

#3410 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 281 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 23:41

Enjoyed the latest issue of Motorsport more than I enjoyed the first round of this season's F1, which I suppose is hardly surprising... But last weekend sort of made up for the poor start...

Well done DCN for the BRM piece, surprisingly readable despite the agonising details!

One other thing puzzled me slightly. My May issue arrived in late March... Am I alone in thinking we seem to have got ahead of ourselves somewhere?

Martin Shelley

#3411 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:44

No, that's been the pattern for a while now

#3412 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:24

This has been a trait followed by many publications for as long as I can remember, and I cannot quite understand the reason for it, practical or marketing purposes perhaps? :confused:

Edited by Giraffe, 02 April 2010 - 07:25.

#3413 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:00

This has been a trait followed by many publications for as long as I can remember, and I cannot quite understand the reason for it, practical or marketing purposes perhaps? :confused:

Must be a nightmare for those individuals trying to sell advertising space......

" No problem at all Sir; let me confirm you require a half page advert announcing your auction of your classic cars on the 28th April. That will be a £1000 and it will appear in the May edition"

" Pardon" :eek: :eek:

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 02 April 2010 - 08:01.

#3414 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:14

You must have a short memory!

Personally I think that the whole May issue in March has got to a preposterious level - I feel a post in the Blood Pressure thread coming on! :mad:

#3415 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:58

Personally I think that the whole May issue in March has got to a preposterious level

So what is the reason for it? There must be one. Is it to give the illusion of selling tomorrow's news today? :stoned:

#3416 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:30

Motor Sport is only joining the trend, after resisting it for many years. Doesn't look good when your April issue goes on sale about the same time as C&SC, Classic Cars and Octane have their May issues on the shelves. So you call your April issue "May"

I think it's borrowed from across the Pond. I'm sure many years ago SCG, C&D, R&T etc used to be on sale a mont or two before their cover date

I wish everyone would get together and go back to more common-sense labelling :|

#3417 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,142 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:55

Doesn't look good when your April issue goes on sale about the same time as C&SC, Classic Cars and Octane have their May issues on the shelves.

Au contraire! I think it would look extremely well, and it'd give one the chance to vote with your money!!! What a bloody nonsense... I'm not going to buy a May issue in March, whatever's inside. If Motor Sport want to sell me their product, they will have to change their policy. ;)

#3418 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:25

If Motor Sport want to sell me their product, they will have to change their policy.;)

I'm with Herr Angry of Bitburg on this! I think we should all get together and put our foot down with a firm hand! More power to the reader! :cool:

#3419 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:25

So what is the reason for it? There must be one. Is it to give the illusion of selling tomorrow's news today? :stoned:

The mag is mostly about old cars, so why shouldn't it have an old date on the front? They should label the March issue as February, maybe they'd start a trend.

Advertisement

#3420 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:19

I'm with Herr Angry of Bitburg on this! I think we should all get together and put our foot down with a firm hand! More power to the reader! :cool:

To the barricades, Brothers! Banners to the fore! Motor Sport - Our DEMANDS!!! - Months and years will be chosen at random, the first page shall be last, every fourth page shall be upside down and back to front, the classifieds shall be interspersed with the copy, all pictures shall be black and white, and have no caption! What do we want? Chaos! When do we want it? NOW!

#3421 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:22

Brilliant Tony!!

#3422 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:23

Chaos! When do we want it? NOW!

Steady on old boy! We don't want to upset anybody, do we now? :blush:

We really just want timeliness & accuracy; is that to much to ask?

Edited by Giraffe, 02 April 2010 - 11:25.

#3423 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:30

To the barricades, Brothers! Banners to the fore! Motor Sport - Our DEMANDS!!! - Months and years will be chosen at random, the first page shall be last, every fourth page shall be upside down and back to front, the classifieds shall be interspersed with the copy, all pictures shall be black and white, and have no caption! What do we want? Chaos! When do we want it? NOW!

Yes, and to really annoy all their faithful readers, they could print whole sections of white text reversed out of dark backgrounds, put black text on coloured backgrounds, or best of all, have text reversed out of photographs 'for artistic effect', so that few people over 60 are able to read it, and to make things even better, why not reduce the point size as well to compel many to a lifetime of magnifying glass use?

Oh, hang on, they're already doing all that, aren't they?

Are you reading this Damien???

#3424 PCC

PCC

• 457 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 13:56

We really just want timeliness & accuracy; is that to much to ask?

"Timeliness"??? Surely our notion of "timeliness" can be a bit forgiving when the main talking point is a race that happened 40 years ago.

#3425 P. Dron

P. Dron

• 99 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 14:08

You have forgotten to mention that an article that begins on page 765 should be continued on page 743. The next part will be on page 772 and then the article will be concluded on page 761. With each move the typeface will be downsized, ending up in 6pt Illegible.

#3426 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 14:35

You have forgotten to mention that an article that begins on page 765 should be continued on page 743. The next part will be on page 772 and then the article will be concluded on page 761. With each move the typeface will be downsized, ending up in 6pt Illegible.

There's only so much you can put on a banner, Peter, without it looking like a page of MS, so I deliberately left out the features already embedded!

#3427 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 281 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 14:42

Sorry to have seemingly touched a raw nerve about lead times. It was brought starkly home as I read the January 1950 issue of our beloved publication which features the recently unveiled BRM with a leader piece by WB and a detailed article by DSJ which features a lovely drawing he did showing the main components of this fine vehicle upon which so much hope was pinned at the time. It covers the launch of the new car on 15 December 1949.... As up to the minute as one could expect, I guess.

Posted Image

Also the cover has an advert for Ferodo featuring a stirring drawing of a front engined car with driver wearing cloth cap - never mind, 'elf and safety hadn't been invented then - and an ominous note from the Editor that due to the increased quality now planned, a price increase of threepence was being imposed from the February issue. Old price? 15 pence, new price 18 pence, 7 1/2 pence in new fangled decimal money which was still twenty years away. What startling value for money!

Posted Image

Martin Shelley

#3428 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 14:43

And, to really piss-off every reader big-time, do white text reversed out of a dark background, and make sure everything is slightly out of register, just like Motor Sport did with the Sauber article of a few issues ago. I still haven't been able to read it.

#3429 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,020 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:24

The mag is mostly about old cars, so why shouldn't it have an old date on the front? They should label the March issue as February, maybe they'd start a trend.

I am disappointed but not surprised to see that Motor Sport is mostly about old cars.
What made MS appeal to me for the 40-odd years I bought it (and kept is) was that it was mostly about what was going on at the time but with a healthy backwards-looking content which is what made me (and many others I know) interested in how motoring and motor sport had got to where it was. Martin's BRM example shows how up to date it once was, and a piece in early 2010 explaining the latest Red Bull Racing car might be interesting now and would certainly be so in 60 years' time.
Using those issues for research one know that (say) if a race took place in the first week of May it would be written up in the June issue.
Once current matters are not covered dates of issue mean little: you might as well call them "2010 No. 1", "2010 No. 2" etc.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 03 April 2010 - 07:27.

#3430 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:31

I recall reading many years ago that the cover date of a magazine was the month in which the newsstand was to take it off display and return through the distributing channels. Makes a bit of sense.

John R. Bond used to periodically complain about the practice in his column in Road & Track (and yes, that is dating me!) but said that he had to go along with it as otherwise R&T would be removed from the newsstands prematurely. My subscription copies of R&T used to arrive up to two months early, but they have slowed down to about a month prior to cover date.

However, this has been the US practice for decades. When I used to subscribe to Racer the mag would turn up in my mailbox a good two months before the cover date; i.e., I would get the December issue in early October. Solved that by letting my sub lapse.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 06 April 2010 - 21:32.

#3431 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 466 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:53

Ok the date thing is now REALLY pissing me off Damien you read this get it sorted out or i'll be cancelling my subscription, in fact us chaps could have a "date" petition?!

#3432 Option1

Option1

• 12,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 00:25

A date of a magazine is something to get so worked up about? Really? I mean, really?!?

Neil

#3433 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:52

A date of a magazine is something to get so worked up about? Really? I mean, really?!?

Neil

It is useful in keeping the correct order on a shelf. Out of order is definitely something to get worked-up about.

#3434 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:14

No it isn't- chuck 'em in a corner of the study and reread random samples years later.

#3435 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,020 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:56

No it isn't- chuck 'em in a corner of the study and reread random samples years later.

That's the "dentist's waiting room effect" I reckon :)

#3436 uffen

uffen

• 891 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:14

I never bother much with the date on a magazine when I buy it. If I don't recognize the cover then it is new to me. Once the magazine is read and put on the shelf it is useful to be able to refer to "the March 1979 edition" but by then the actual purchase date is long forgotten. The date becomes a handy reference only - other than that I don't really care much.

#3437 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 18:49

The magazine continues to buck the trend.....

http://www.newspress...s...&pr_ref=780

PAR

#3438 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 20:16

Wonders exist ! Somebody must be buying it.

#3439 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 20:26

Me (and dad) since 1955, for a start. Well done MS.

Advertisement

#3440 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:55

More and more people by the look of it :)

PAR

#3441 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,872 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:16

The magazine continues to buck the trend.....

http://www.newspress...s...&pr_ref=780

PAR

Note that the RHS of this link gives an early preview of the June issue cover. Ickz and Andretti interview, Lunch with Jack Sears.

Mark

#3442 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:41

I very much doubt I would have remained interested in automobiles or automobile racing unless I'd misspent a good portion of my youth reading about the world as observed by messers WB, DSJ and AH in the mid to late 1970's :-)

#3443 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:21

I very much doubt I would have remained interested in automobiles or automobile racing unless I'd misspent a good portion of my youth reading about the world as observed by messers WB, DSJ and AH in the mid to late 1970's :-)

I agree wholeheartedly. The first copy of Motor Sport I read was June 1958 and I've been reading it on and off ever since.

#3444 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,987 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:32

I agree wholeheartedly. The first copy of Motor Sport I read was June 1958 and I've been reading it on and off ever since.

Change 1958 to 1968 & ditto. (Someone did give me a shed load of issues from before that date though at a later date!)

#3445 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 21:46

Podcast with Patrick Head now available on the Motor Sport site.

#3446 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 14:09

I received the latest copy of Motor Sport a couple of days ago, excellent stuff as usual, but there's an offer to new subscribers, take out a two year subscription, and you get a free copy of the just out Karl Ludvigsen book on Colin Chapman. Yes, very nice indeed, but how can faithful long-term subscribers (like me) benefit from this offer? It seems a little unfair, especially as they've been getting a free DVD as well, until this latest offer superceded it. Do they want us to take out a new sub every couple of years? It seems like a strange way to hang onto customers of long standing.

#3447 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 14:29

I received the latest copy of Motor Sport a couple of days ago, excellent stuff as usual, but there's an offer to new subscribers, take out a two year subscription, and you get a free copy of the just out Karl Ludvigsen book on Colin Chapman. Yes, very nice indeed, but how can faithful long-term subscribers (like me) benefit from this offer? It seems a little unfair, especially as they've been getting a free DVD as well, until this latest offer superceded it. Do they want us to take out a new sub every couple of years? It seems like a strange way to hang onto customers of long standing.

That's what I did a year or so ago to get the free DVD, I basically cancelled my Direct Debit and subscription and restarted it for 2 years only, at the end of the 2 years I'll re-subscribe on whatever the current deal is.

#3448 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,623 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 14:30

Congratulations to deputy editor Gordon Cruickshank on his piece about the renovation of the Indy-winning Lotus 38. A super piece of writing I thought.

#3449 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 15:12

That's what I did a year or so ago to get the free DVD, I basically cancelled my Direct Debit and subscription and restarted it for 2 years only, at the end of the 2 years I'll re-subscribe on whatever the current deal is.

I did the same Mark.

One niggle in this months issue ( July ) concerns the map accompanying Andy Marriotts article about his visit to the site of Jim Clarks accident at Hockenheim. It seems to show that the location of Jims accident was some way before the first of the chicanes subsequently built, but surely the location was actually further down the road ? The original memorial to Bert Hawthorne was at the same place as Jims and I thought acontributing factor in Berts case was that his engine seized exiting the first chicane and he was punted into the barrier by a following car.

(Incidentally I see there is a letter from TNFer John Aston published this month :up: ).

#3450 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,133 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 15:34

Unfortunately, that plan wouldn't work for me, MS collected my twice yearly direct debit a couple of weeks ago, so that's my sub paid for the next six months. I can't see them having any copies of that book left by the time this payment runs out in November. I suppose I'm just going to have to buy a copy of Mr L's book, but it's most unfair, MS reading ex-Lotus employees ought to get some kind of special dispensation.