Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3501 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:53

Well, I haven't contributed to this thread in some time, and when I did it was mostly negative.

So, I thought I should stop in and say how much I thought the magazine had improved over where it was a year or two ago.

Premature, perhaps.....

Jack

Advertisement

#3502 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:29

When Autosport and Motorsport tested road-cars in the 1950s it gave them (a) free transport for a couple of weeks and (b) the opportunity for additional advertising revenue

When I ran my strictly-motorsport publication in New Zealand it had a circulation equivalent to 100,000 (converting to UK per capita figures) and just broke even. No matter what tweaks we tried, sales remained about the same, and advertising revenue barely increased. I therefore decided - to ensure its survival - to boost the road-car content beyond a token news page to approximately 50%, leaving the number of sport pages at the same level as before. Within two years circulation had risen to the UK equivalent of 240,000, and advertising revenue by a corresponding amount.

Motorsport has obviously done the same arithmetic. If they keep the same motorsport content it will simply mean the traditional readership (us) will have more pages to skip over. If on the other hand they reduce the sporting content they will lose a high proportion of said traditional readership, but why worry? They'll pick up a lot more from the general motoring market, and a huge increase in advertising revenue.

#3503 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:20

I too was mightily disappointed to read the road car theme. I can read about this stuff- which does interest me- in Autocar and the Sundays, often written by - you guessed- the ubiqitous Mr Frankel. He races an Alfa so must be a Good Egg, even if my one personal encounter with him did involve him looking at me as though I was something canine and unpleasant on his shoe.( I had wriiten a controversial letter to MS which he had commented upon in his editorial so when I encountered him at Goodwood I thought I would say hello. Shouldn't have bothered). As has been said the magazine is about The Sport and as is demonstrated here every day of the week there is a legion of material to discuss - from Hillclimb championships to Rallycross via Chaparrals and Tasman series. Please Mr Editor think again !

#3504 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,432 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:29

Motor Sport always had a high proportion of Veteran & Vintage news, which I didn't buy it for; what I did buy it for was the sheer quality of the writing, but then, I'm an old codger and was educated in the art of motor racing by Jenk's reports of Tony Brooks win in Syracuse and the glorious day when BRM had their first one-two in the hands of Jean Behra and Harry Schell (was that Caen).

The Austin 1100 deserved a test in MS as it was the 4th best handling car in the world at the time, only beaten by three Lotus' - I drove cars like the TR2, Sunbeam Rapier and Sprite and they were not a patch on the 1100 when it came to cornering speed, indeed, towards the end of the 60s I drove both a Porsche and a Ferrari 275GTB, and neither approached the cornering ability of an Austin 1100.

In the 70s, CAR magazine was of a similar quality as regards writers, LJK Setright & Co. were at the forefront of the genre. I have never divorced the ability to write beautiful English from the medium in which it appears - I haven't read a review of a hay-cart by Shakespeare, but I would lay money that it would be worth reading...

#3505 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,790 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:55

...and was educated in the art of motor racing by Jenk's reports of Tony Brooks win in Syracuse and the glorious day when BRM had their first one-two in the hands of Jean Behra and Harry Schell (was that Caen).

The Austin 1100 deserved a test in MS as it was the 4th best handling car in the world at the time, only beaten by three Lotus' ...

Wrong thread.  ;)

#3506 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:02

I don't read the road tests in MS. If I wanted road tests I'd buy Autocar.

I ignored the road car articles in this month's issue, much like I avoid Louise Skipper's 'look who I met this month!!!' column.

Remove both of these and I would be a happy chappy.

I'm sure that Louisa Skipper is a lovely person, but it's long been a puzzle to me why the magazine chooses to waste a whole page on fluff of this kind. I've just looked at the current Diary page (for the first time ever), and was astonished to see thereon, no fewer than SIX pictures of Ms Skipper. Surely this must be some kind of record, but please, nobody bother to tell me if by some chance, it isn't.

I can't recall Autosport road tests, but the Motorsport ones, for me (speaking in the EJ vernacular) were always by far the most tedious parts of the mag. If I cared about that type of thing I'd read Autocar, or any other bland similar mag.

Certainly won't miss the waste of a page that is L Skipper!!!!

Totally agree with all of the above. Motor Sport should be about what it says on the banner - motor sport!

As for the fragrant Ms Skipper the sooner her page is consigned to the WPB the better - who wants to look Ms Skipper posed with some Z-list celebrity?

:mad:

Edited by Stephen W, 05 August 2010 - 08:03.

#3507 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:30

...but why worry? They'll pick up a lot more from the general motoring market, and a huge increase in advertising revenue.

I for one don't worry; but I wonder about "a lot" and "a huge". If MS wishes to compete with the many car magazines rather than benefit from and build upon its unique reputation and stand out in a niche market, they should by all means. I will then just not buy it anymore. It will be interesting to see how the loss of more readers that wont like the change either will be compensated by those who do - and who have much more (car) magazines to chose from - also with regard to advertising; every industry has been cutting down on print media advertising for a long time now, so if MS wants its share of what is left, their number of readers should be very competitive with other, established car magazines. Personally, I think the Frankels and Skippers should make way quickly and permanently for more Nye, Taylor, Tremayne, etc. But I expect they wont and will continue to decrease the difference it made. Funny how a magazine that once stood for celebrating the sport's history, seemingly can't appreciate the power (and potential) of its own.

#3508 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 359 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:37

In the 70s, CAR magazine was of a similar quality as regards writers, LJK Setright & Co. were at the forefront of the genre. I have never divorced the ability to write beautiful English from the medium in which it appears - I haven't read a review of a hay-cart by Shakespeare, but I would lay money that it would be worth reading...
[/quote]

Am I in a minority in not admiring Setright as a writer? To me he sounded pompous, self-satisfied and windy. He was forever banging on about his brilliant driving, but the only time I saw him drive was at Prescott, and he went straight into the sand at Pardon. You had to have a heart of stone not to laugh.
As for Louisa, I suppose her target audience is the sort of people who go to events like Hurlingham to drink champagne and get photographed, and like to read about themselves. Good luck to them if their investment bank or hedge fund shells out for hospitality suites at Goodwood. Or for advertising in Motor Sport.
Chris

Edited by cdrewett, 05 August 2010 - 08:41.

#3509 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:53

The Austin 1100 deserved a test in MS as it was the 4th best handling car in the world at the time, only beaten by three Lotus' - I drove cars like the TR2, Sunbeam Rapier and Sprite and they were not a patch on the 1100 when it came to cornering speed, indeed, towards the end of the 60s I drove both a Porsche and a Ferrari 275GTB, and neither approached the cornering ability of an Austin 1100.

I remember that John Bolster Austin 1100 test quite well, and he did indeed say that the car's handling and roadholding was quite astonishingly good for its day. There was a pic of a determined looking JB rounding a corner near his home, apparently it was a bend at the bottom of Fish Hill which I'd guess was somewhere in Surrey, and he assured us that he rounded that curve in the 1100 on skinny tyres at a higher speed than he's ever managed in any other car he'd tested, impressive stuff at the time. I can see the pic now, isn't it remarkable what we can sometimes dredge up from the depths of our memory? This is the Motor Sport thread, not a British Leyland one, but apart from BL quality, which wasn't really much worse than anyone else's in those days, 1100s and later bigger engined versions were remarkable good cars in their day, I owned several of them with very few problems.

#3510 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,993 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:18

I remember that John Bolster Austin 1100 test quite well, and he did indeed say that the car's handling and roadholding was quite astonishingly good for its day. There was a pic of a determined looking JB rounding a corner near his home, apparently it was a bend at the bottom of Fish Hill which I'd guess was somewhere in Surrey, and he assured us that he rounded that curve in the 1100 on skinny tyres at a higher speed than he's ever managed in any other car he'd tested, impressive stuff at the time. I can see the pic now, isn't it remarkable what we can sometimes dredge up from the depths of our memory? This is the Motor Sport thread, not a British Leyland one, but apart from BL quality, which wasn't really much worse than anyone else's in those days, 1100s and later bigger engined versions were remarkable good cars in their day, I owned several of them with very few problems.

I think the test and the picture you are thinking of was Gregor Grant, not JVB.

#3511 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:31

I think the test and the picture you are thinking of was Gregor Grant, not JVB.

My memory is telling me that there was a large moustache and a deerstalker in that photo, but I'm sure that in a quest to determine the truth, at least one TNF will be going through the old copies of Autosport in his loft at this very moment.

#3512 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,432 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:06

Wrong thread. ;)

Why? Jenkinson wrote those reports for MS.

#3513 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,790 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:25

I was thinking of the apostrophe's.

#3514 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,993 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 13:52

My memory is telling me that there was a large moustache and a deerstalker in that photo, but I'm sure that in a quest to determine the truth, at least one TNF will be going through the old copies of Autosport in his loft at this very moment.

15th August 1962.

#3515 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 21:56

Having bought this months magazine, if the section stays in it's self contained 6-10 pages, then I really don't have any problems with it. I thought it to be a particularly weak edition, but that probably is just a coincidence, and not due to any shift in focus. If It stays a small piece in the magazine, fine, I don't expect to like every part of it.

But after prompt from this thread, I did read the Editorial, something I rarely do.

#3516 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 16:13

As for the fragrant Ms Skipper the sooner her page is consigned to the WPB the better - who wants to look Ms Skipper posed with some Z-list celebrity?

If there's going to be a small picture of James Martin, I'd rather it had a nice blonde in it as well.

After all, what else is a Client Relationship Manager for? ;)

Anyway, I'd rather lose that page with all the ridiculously overpriced 'Desirable' items. Who pays £6475 for a box of poker chips?

Edited by BRG, 07 August 2010 - 16:21.

#3517 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 18:29

Anyway, I'd rather lose that page with all the ridiculously overpriced 'Desirable' items. Who pays £6475 for a box of poker chips?

(sheepishly places poker chips back in the drawer...)

Edited by dank, 07 August 2010 - 18:29.

#3518 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:39

Sorry but I would rather lose the Lousie Skipper Appreciation Page as I am often on the look-out for overpriced tat to give as presents!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen W, 09 August 2010 - 08:39.

#3519 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 16:39

Anyone else receive a lengthy response from Damien Smith after leaving comment(s) on the Motorsport Magazine website?

No? Well CTRL+C, CTRL+V and...

Dear all,

Thank you for all your comments in the past couple of weeks. They have all been read, and read again, I can assure you. Few magazines offer a public forum on their own website to allow readers the chance to offer direct feedback – whether it is positive or negative – to the whole world. It’s something that we’re proud of. We are recognised for our independence and strong, opinionated editorial – and it is only right that we offer our readers the chance to have their say in response. Healthy stuff.

I was expecting some resistance, but I think some context is needed here to reassure those of you who are horrified by the expanded road car content.

Motor Sport is not about to neglect or desert its positioning as a magazine about racing, past and present. Everyone on my team here loves this sport and we are all very aware of the heritage we must live up to at MS. I believe we’ve done so successfully over the past couple of years, and I have no desire to undo all of that hard work.

At the same time, we cannot stand still. Magazine publishing is a tough business today (more than it has ever been in the past) and we are fortunate to be in a position where we have an owner who continues to invest in a title that could so easily have been lost more than once in the past decade.

The automotive world is changing fast and whether we like it or not, rapid developments will have a direct influence on our sport. Happily, our cover story is an example of the opposite taking place: racing expertise feeding directly back into a car for the road. How this has been achieved is totally in keeping with our brief to offer the wider picture of modern motor racing’s position in the real world.

But please be assured, we won’t be illustrating the cover with a road car every month. Each issue should offer great diversity of subject and the choice of cover should reflect that. Yes, we will surprise you from time to time (I hope), but more often than not I think over the course of a year we will please you.

As for the road car section, I am obviously aware that there are many very good road car magazines already on the shelves. But given our wide perspective and our history, why shouldn’t we have a voice in the industry? Especially as it is only a single section of a very big publication. Andrew previously had three pages of road car content per issue. He now has seven. As I said above, this is evolution, not revolution.

Please be assured the magazine is, and will remain, a magazine about motor racing. Of course. It should be a welcome indulgence, an ‘escape’ to be enjoyed. But at the same time, to ignore the wider industry and the world at large would be blinkered and would not be in keeping with the heritage built by WB and Jenks.

As for commercial considerations, of course we want to attract more advertisers. We need such support if the magazine is to have a healthy future. But commercial considerations have never driven content – and they never will under my watch.

If you’ve read this far, thank you! And please don’t lose faith – the magazine is not about to lose its unique perspective.

Best regards

Damien Smith
Editor

Advertisement

#3520 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 19:52

Interesting and good on him for replying.

he did not try and defend Ms. Skipper though! Perhaps she is heading for the bin. If so good.

#3521 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 19:59

Nuts to Andrew;

Socks up, Boss!

#3522 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 20:11

Interesting and good on him for replying.

he did not try and defend Ms. Skipper though! Perhaps she is heading for the bin. If so good.

It's good that Motor Sport seem to take notice of reader opinions, though maybe not all that much. I wrote to Damien a year or so ago to complain about the white text out of coloured and dark backgrounds that today's graphic designers are so fond of. In a long and thoughtful reply, he assured me that MS were aware of the problems that this could cause, even amongst readers with good eyesight, but I was slightly depressed to see that the current issue has quite a few pages like this, possibly more than ever before. Do you think there would be any point of getting up a petition to complain about this?

#3523 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,564 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 21:13

Well said Damien.

Breaking news........

I have just heard that "The Pedants' Gazette" has joined its sister publication "Anoraks' Weekly" in filing for insolvency, citing a lack of advertising revenue and the ill-health of the editorial staff, who got dizzy going round in circles trying to please everyone. The Liquidator felt there was little chance of a sale as going concerns, as it was difficult to see forward when you look through the wrong end of the telescope. The combined subscribers' total of 117 per issue plus the average 7 casual sales per issue was not seen as good news. End of news report.

Being serious, though, give it a rest fellas. You paint yourselves in a very poor light, and the hostility towards Louisa Skipper is verging on the boorish, and would no doubt colour the opinions of you and your views in the eyes of others. If you examine, and/or even buy the other similar magazines on the market you will find that they are all having to adopt the same tactics. It is very much a lifestyle-oriented market, and I know that the others have all upped their game very much in the light of Motor Sport's renaissance. There is always stuff in any publication, even the Daily Mail or Sunday Times..., which everyone does not read avidly.

No doubt those of you involved in organising motor sporting events do not close the doors to people who might not know Nuvolari's place of birth, or the finer points of ERA models, or who drove what in FFord 1600 in the 1970s. There are even some, I understand, who actually enjoy this modern silhouette hotrod hysteric (sic) racing stuff , and believe it to be the real thing. There is a place for everyone.
No offence intended
Roger Lund

#3524 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:20

Being serious, though, give it a rest fellas. You paint yourselves in a very poor light, and the hostility towards Louisa Skipper is verging on the boorish,
Roger Lund

I don't believe the hostility here is aimed at Louisa Skipper, more the content she is associated with. It is, and has been ever since its first inclusion, utterly out of place in many of our esteemed forum contributors' eyes.

#3525 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:39

I don't believe the hostility here is aimed at Louisa Skipper, more the content she is associated with. It is, and has been ever since its first inclusion, utterly out of place in many of our esteemed forum contributors' eyes.

Well put, nothing at all against Ms Skipper, but what on earth is that column doing in what purports to be a magazine about motor sport? It's just a gratuitous waste of a page, it doesn't exactly make steam come out of my ears, but I just treat it the same as other irrelevancies in today's MS, like pages on lotobikes (weak joke), and quickly turn the page. Incidentally, I pointed out that Ms Skipper had managed to get no fewer than six photos of herself on a single page, though all but one were alongside some 'celeb' or other. Seems I did her a slight injustice, there's a SEVENTH Skipper pic on another page nearby. Unbelievable, does she have her toothbrush in the Publisher's bathroom or something?

#3526 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:27

I would rather watch Ms Skipper enjoying a joke at yet another free lunch than read yet another 'review' of some bloody silly watch costing more than my house - most magazines seem full of this horological (?) porn- which is great if you like watches as covetable items but I don't.My Seiko is testament to this.

#3527 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:54

I would rather watch Ms Skipper enjoying a joke at yet another free lunch than read yet another 'review' of some bloody silly watch costing more than my house.

Would this be the "'Oyl in t'ground", that's often referred to as a dwelling place on TNF? If it is, I'd guess that an awful lot of timepieces must be within your price range. Those full-page watch adverts don't bother me at all, helping as they must do to pay the magazine's costs. I suppose that the manufacturers of these often monumentally tasteless items must have decided that advertising them in Motor Sport is a cost effective way of attracting customers, but I doubt if anyone on TNF will admit to owning one of them.

#3528 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,985 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 20:05

. Those full-page watch adverts don't bother me at all, helping as they must do to pay the magazine's costs. I suppose that the manufacturers of these often monumentally tasteless items must have decided that advertising them in Motor Sport is a cost effective way of attracting customers, but I doubt if anyone on TNF will admit to owning one of them.

They do a great deal for golf magazines too. I know because my old mate owns one. (A golf magazine that is, I doubt if even he could afford the watch!)

#3529 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:04

Well said Damien.

Breaking news........

I have just heard that "The Pedants' Gazette" has joined its sister publication "Anoraks' Weekly" in filing for insolvency, citing a lack of advertising revenue and the ill-health of the editorial staff, who got dizzy going round in circles trying to please everyone. The Liquidator felt there was little chance of a sale as going concerns, as it was difficult to see forward when you look through the wrong end of the telescope. The combined subscribers' total of 117 per issue plus the average 7 casual sales per issue was not seen as good news. End of news report.

Being serious, though, give it a rest fellas. You paint yourselves in a very poor light, and the hostility towards Louisa Skipper is verging on the boorish, and would no doubt colour the opinions of you and your views in the eyes of others. If you examine, and/or even buy the other similar magazines on the market you will find that they are all having to adopt the same tactics. It is very much a lifestyle-oriented market, and I know that the others have all upped their game very much in the light of Motor Sport's renaissance. There is always stuff in any publication, even the Daily Mail or Sunday Times..., which everyone does not read avidly.

No doubt those of you involved in organising motor sporting events do not close the doors to people who might not know Nuvolari's place of birth, or the finer points of ERA models, or who drove what in FFord 1600 in the 1970s. There are even some, I understand, who actually enjoy this modern silhouette hotrod hysteric (sic) racing stuff , and believe it to be the real thing. There is a place for everyone.
No offence intended
Roger Lund

Amen.

#3530 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:16

Would this be the "'Oyl in t'ground", that's often referred to as a dwelling place on TNF? If it is, I'd guess that an awful lot of timepieces must be within your price range. Those full-page watch adverts don't bother me at all, helping as they must do to pay the magazine's costs. I suppose that the manufacturers of these often monumentally tasteless items must have decided that advertising them in Motor Sport is a cost effective way of attracting customers, but I doubt if anyone on TNF will admit to owning one of them.

Errr.. I may be a Yorkshireman but I have never knowingly uttered the words 'oyl in t'ground'. So it's a'no' then. Adverts I do not mind but 'features ' reviewing said watches are tedious.

#3531 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:12

Well said Damien.

Breaking news........

No offence intended
Roger Lund

I think it's a natural reaction though. There's already enough faux-glamour and blondes on gap year/media studies in 'proper' motor racing, so it's understandable that people get agitated when it starts enroaching on a niche area that was specifically carved out to serve the more finnicky consumer.

Ive just never understood what demographic they're trying to reach with Skipper. Wives of readers? Because otherwise it's a fantastic magazine and it's impressive what they've accomplished by going it alone as a publisher.

#3532 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:56

Ive just never understood what demographic they're trying to reach with Skipper. Wives of readers?

'Readers' Wives' Eh? Eh? Very good, very good! Nudge, nudge, know what I mean squire???

#3533 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:07

...Ive just never understood what demographic they're trying to reach with Skipper. Wives of readers? Because otherwise it's a fantastic magazine and it's impressive what they've accomplished by going it alone as a publisher.

I agree on both points. The Skipper page is a waste of space as most seem to agree but it is only one page so doesn't bother me too much. 7 or 10 pages reviewing Fiestas or whatever does bother me though because that is a lot of space not filled with decent motorsport content. As it happens, I am interested in road cars (or some of them at least) but anything in Motorsport is just too perfunctory to be of any interest (and no, I'm not suggesting even more pages!). The Mclaren piece in the current issue, which does have plenty of space, just looks like it was written by their PR department. Co-incidentally, I have just received my subscription renewal notice and for the first time in a good while it isn't an easy decision.

I appreciate the content needs to attract the advertisers to keep the magazine going but it needs to keep the readers interested too. No-one said it was easy!

Jonathan

#3534 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,790 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:11

I assumed the Skipper page was just promotional content, the price to be paid for Motor Sport to get access to these parties or potential advertisers. It is only one page and I wonder if they would be able to fill that page with proper stuff if they didn't have that.

#3535 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:49

Wow seriously guys, if the magazine causes you this much angst and moaning, just stop buying it.

As for the Skipper thing, I don't read the magazine myself but as someone not involved it does look really bad a group of middle aged men getting angry at her or implying that she sleeps with the publisher, our sport is elitest enough without questioning some of the few women involved in aspects of it in a rather negative and sexist way. Seriously if you get this upset please just dont buy it, you never know they may change the magazine in the direction you like if you all take action. It's rather like football fans moaning about forgein takeovers and then packing out Old Trafford every week and buying all the replica tops and fill their new club owners pockets.

If you are collectors of MS you can always buy back issues later when your protest has been felt.

I don't mean to offend but I am slightly worried with how this thread is going.

#3536 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:55

Wow seriously guys, if the magazine causes you this much angst and moaning, just stop buying it.

As for the Skipper thing, I don't read the magazine myself but as someone not involved it does look really bad a group of middle aged men getting angry at her or implying that she sleeps with the publisher, our sport is elitest enough without questioning some of the few women involved in aspects of it in a rather negative and sexist way. Seriously if you get this upset please just dont buy it, you never know they may change the magazine in the direction you like if you all take action. It's rather like football fans moaning about forgein takeovers and then packing out Old Trafford every week and buying all the replica tops and fill their new club owners pockets.

If you are collectors of MS you can always buy back issues later when your protest has been felt.

Well said :up:

#3537 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:42

Well said :up:

Seconded :up: . There are some recent comments in this thread that are unworthy of us.

#3538 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 13:54

I don't necessarily agree with the statement "a group of middle aged men getting angry at her". I am personally not angry at Ms Skipper just at the inclusion of the irrelevant coverage of Z-list Celebrities at functions I have never heard of! It is the editorial staff who are to blame not Ms Skipper and it is to them that I have directed my complaint.

PS I would also be complaining about the page if it were written by a bloke! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen W, 11 August 2010 - 13:55.

#3539 Pushkin

Pushkin

• 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 14:05

It's a Magazine.

Any magazine on a topic one is interested in will contain some stuff that one reads avidly, some stuff that one reads with mild interest and some stuff that one isn't interested in at all.

The trick is to ignore the category 3 material (or to stop buying the mag if there's too much category 3 material). It's not worth getting upset about.

Advertisement

#3540 Macca

Macca

• 3,308 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 16:11

I said my piece earlier in the thread IIRC, so I'll just say that beside me are shelves of MS, complete up to the end of the 'red' period at May 2006; then only odd copies since (and none for over a year), because I've voted with my feet.

Paul M

#3541 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 18:27

When I grow up I'd like to have the equanimity and sweetness of spirit shown by some posters. Meanwhile, it seems to me lessons from infants, Greenpeace, and The Sierra Club indicate that in some cases it is necessary to be a little strident to accomplish some gains.

#3542 Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

• 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 13:17

I picked up the new issue (well, new in the US at least) last week. This is the issue focusing on 1970. Probably the best all around issue of a magazine that I have ever purchased. The interview w' Penske, the excerpt from the Rindt book...all of it was great! Keep that type of issue coming!

#3543 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 13:27

I picked up the new issue (well, new in the US at least) last week. This is the issue focusing on 1970. Probably the best all around issue of a magazine that I have ever purchased. The interview w' Penske, the excerpt from the Rindt book...all of it was great! Keep that type of issue coming!

Be prepared to major disappointment in one month's time, if the 1970 issue was one of their best for a long time, the latest seems to have disappointed almost everyone.

#3544 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:04

Hello gents,
I am macoran, the cutaway freak from the cutaway thread
I have this clipping from a 1963 MotorSport magazine, don't know which issue.
But in the text it says "Last month............rear wheel movement.................were discussed"
I have never been able to find that issue. Anyone of you have the complete set of 1963 magazines ?
Would you help me locate the rear suspension drawings and scan the page for me ?

As posted on the cutaway thread.
Not really cutaway in the sense, but you'd see suspension views like this as part of them.
I just love this clipping, and am still beating myself for never having gotten the previous month's issue of the mag
as it contained like sketches of the rear suspensions.
If memory serves me right it is from MotorSport magazine, so all MotorSports magazine collectors UNITE and
please help me find the rear suspension sketches.
Else if someone can pinpoint the correct 1963 issue I might be able to locate a copy on E-bay
Posted Image

#3545 Macca

Macca

• 3,308 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:18

I have that one - I'll scan it for you.

Paul M

edit: it's part of a series run from August to December 1963 including suspension geometry, dashboards and gearboxes. At that time MS illustrated a lot of articles with this sort of detail, including on various British sports cars and the Lotus Cortina.

Edited by Macca, 19 August 2010 - 20:35.

#3546 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:28

I have that one - I'll scan it for you.

Paul M

TNF is just bluddy incredible !!!!!!!
Thankyou ever so much Paul :clap:

#3547 Macca

Macca

• 3,308 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:44

Posted Image

There you are - PM me if you want it full-size.

Paul M

#3548 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:52

Posted Image

There you are - PM me if you want it full-size.

Paul M

That is just brilliant already Paul !
May I post it on the cutaway thread to accompany the front suspension one ?

#3549 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 16:33

No comments on the latest edition (October) then? Maybe because it is a good one?

- BRP green GTO on the cover (and track tested inside)
- No gratuitious shots of Louisa.
- A fine piece by Doug on the Gulf/Mirage Le Mans car.
- The fascinating story of BRP (were they really stitched up by FOCA to the extent suggested? The Piranha Club is not a new invention then!)

#3550 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,414 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 16:53

No comments on the latest edition (October) then?

Heck, I have not even received the Sept issue yet. The last couple months I would receive my issue around the third week of the month (e.g., Aug issue arrived around Jul 20). Then included in that copy was a note from Nigel saying that the distribution of the mag, at least for the US, was being taken back in house after having been farmed out to a mailing agent for a while. I shuddered when I read this, wondering how this would work out. So far, not so good. It is two weeks later than last month and still counting...
Tom