Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3651 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 15:27

* sorry any Vettel fans, but I do have a bit of a problem with him - I have disliked several race drivers over the years, but have never until now had an almost unconquerable urge to give one a good slap.

I know what you mean, although Vettel is not on my list! You could copy that to the 'Blood Pressure' thread, where it would be quite at home...

Advertisement

#3652 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 15:51

Does anyone have an idea of when those of us in the U.S. of A. might expect our copies?
Distribution has changed so many times that I've completely lost track of when it's expected to arrive over here.

I'm particularly interested in seeing this issue.
Naturally, our subscription expired with the December issue. I renewed online hoping that'd speed up the process.

Anyone over here received theirs yet?

LinC

#3653 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,416 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 16:41

* sorry any Vettel fans, but I do have a bit of a problem with him - I have disliked several race drivers over the years, but have never until now had an almost unconquerable urge to give one a good slap.

To each his own, I guess. In my case, I find Vettel a breath of fresh air in the sport. On the other hand, I find Webber to be the biggest whinger since Mansell. But as I said, just my opinion

Does anyone have an idea of when those of us in the U.S. of A. might expect our copies?

Anyone over here received theirs yet?

Not yet, but since the change in distribution a few months ago I have been getting my copy around the 20th-21st of each month whereas before it was around the 7th of the next month. So if that pattern holds this month, I should be getting my copy the start of next week.
Tom

#3654 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 16:45

You had 35 years of car magazines. What was a computer like 35 years ago? Try 25 years, or 15 years. With a modern computer you could not read the files on those machines. Archivists are beginning to realise that if you wish to preserve electronic files, you have to continually migrate them to the latest system, otherwise its bye bye to them. The only long term storage device is hard copy on acid free paper.

In the mid 1990's, at work, I needed information that had been written onto a floppy disc by a Digital (the maker) computer in the late 1980's. It took some while before we found one of them collecting dust in a bookcase in a small northern office. I was lucky and we were able to recover the information - onto paper!

Be thankful that you don't want to find something in a 35 year old compuer file.

Robin, where were you when I needed an explanation for my missus?

#3655 BRG

BRG

• 11,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 17:57

To each his own, I guess.

It's not from choice - I much prefer to see the best in everyone (well, not Max obviously, but pretty much everyone else - except Bernie of course - damn, the list is growing!) but there is just something about Seb V's face that I find brings out the worst in me.

Mind you, that wretched finger pointing doesn't help. And the tantrum in Istanbul put the cherry on it. But I will try to learn to love him in 2011.

#3656 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 22:07

Could there be some correlation between wondering, publically on this thread, when ones issue will arrive and the subsequent arrival of said issue?
It worked for me. Our January issue arrived only hours after my wondering about it here.

Must be magic.

LinC

#3657 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 22:40

Could there be some correlation between wondering, publically on this thread, when ones issue will arrive and the subsequent arrival of said issue?
It worked for me. Our January issue arrived only hours after my wondering about it here.

Must be magic.

LinC

As a contributor I would have thought you would get a personal copy via mail. Perhaps you didn't insist, demand or thow a tantrum...

#3658 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,212 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:47

The December issue is currently on the newsstand in Victoria, BC, Canada!

Vince H.

#3659 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:55

The December issue is currently on the newsstand in Victoria, BC, Canada!

Vince H.

Can I repeat the request that we have a seperate thread for when the magazine arrives? I know that the magazine's appearance can provoke dancing on the streets in the provinces - as it does in my village actually- but I would like to use this thread to talk about contents not delivery arragements . And breathe...

Advertisement

#3660 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 17:57

And what an excellent read I have just had-Simon Taylor's lunch with John Webb(who declined my offer to go and work for him in 1974- shrewd man ). No punches are pulled about the Foulston saga and although John and Mary are spoken of highly I think Nicola will not be sending a Christmas card to the Webb household. Very good Roebuck piece too - he really seems to have a new lease of life after escaping modern Effone even though he still has insightful views on same. Stuck record alert- I really do wish MS would drop or reduce the roadcar stuff. I may be in a minority in finding stuff like the Nissan Leaf fascinating but I do not want to see pieces about them in this magazine.

#3661 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 18:50

Stuck record alert- I really do wish MS would drop or reduce the roadcar stuff. I may be in a minority in finding stuff like the Nissan Leaf fascinating but I do not want to see pieces about them in this magazine.

I think most of us agree, John
But as they've pointed out themselves, we either get road-car stuff to ignore, or we don't have a Motor Sport

#3662 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 630 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 19:53

I think most of us agree, John
But as they've pointed out themselves, we either get road-car stuff to ignore, or we don't have a Motor Sport

A few years ago I met Damien Smith on a visit to Ireland and we had a good chat about the mag , and unless you want a dramatic price rise , we are going to have to live with Road Tests and the like .

#3663 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 20:35

Also in the current issue, the matter of fact comment by Mr Wheatcroft that the Donington Collection could be sold if the price was right.

Having seen the museum annual attendance figures who could blame him.

David

#3664 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:09

Or mine-no post since Tuesday :(

2 copies of January issue received since posting this complete with CDs-anyone need a copy?-No sign of February yet-no post since Xmas eve.

Edited by Rob29, 01 January 2011 - 09:09.

#3665 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:35

2 copies of January issue received since posting this complete with CDs-anyone need a copy?-No sign of February yet-no post since Xmas eve.

A whole month late, and I'm still waiting for January, it never seemed to appear in any of the shops around these parts either, I looked and looked and looked. MS were very helpful when I phoned, and admitted they'd had distribution problems of late. They promised me it would arrive in the next few days along with February's, so I live in hope. I haven't been without reading matter though, shortly before Christmas, I found a mint example of the historic May 2005 issue on eBay, the one celebrating the 50th anniversary of Sir Stirling's great Mille Miglia victory, still in the mailing bag and unopened, for not much more than the original cover price. I wasn't a subscriber back then, and every copy of this one seemed to disappear from shelves almost straight away, I never knew there were so many diehard SCM fans in Poole & Bournemouth. I saw a copy at a friend's house a couple of weeks later, not a motor sport fan, he'd bought it for his son. Seeing my excitement, he promised I could have it as soon as son had read it, but he gave it away to someone else first. End of friendship, we've hardly spoken since.

#3666 BRG

BRG

• 11,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 18:32

Feb issue looks pretty good. Lunch with John Webb, a piece on the P34, and one on Dale Earnhardt. Well worth waiting for (sorry, but Happy New Year to those to whom all good things come if they wait! :wave: )

In the Road Car section, Frankel comments in passing that only one motoring journalist (not him) has any real influence on car manufacturers. Who does he mean, I wonder?

#3667 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 18:33

Rob, if you are up to posting it to the colonies I would like it. We don't get the "add-ons" over here.
I will pay postage of course.

Edited by David Birchall, 01 January 2011 - 18:35.

#3668 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 19:15

"In the Road Car section, Frankel comments in passing that only one motoring journalist (not him) has any real influence on car manufacturers. Who does he mean, I wonder?"

Almost certainly he means Autocar's Steve Cropley. The top technical people in the motor industry around the world take very seriously what Cropley thinks and writes, and so do the management and marketing heavy-hitters. After 20 years evaluating cars for Wheels, Car and Buying Cars and now almost 20 years on Autocar, his common-sense judgements and always courteous ability to spot PR bullshit at 100 paces has earned him huge respect.

Edited by Simon Taylor, 01 January 2011 - 19:17.

#3669 BRG

BRG

• 11,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 19:24

Ah, thanks Simon. I can see how that could be the case. For a Christmas chocolate excess crazed moment, I wondered if it was Clarkson - the infamous Vectra coat hook episode sprang to mind!

#3670 PCC

PCC

• 457 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 23:18

We don't get the "add-ons" over here.

David, have you received the January issue yet? The Peter Ustinov CD wasn't sent to overseas subscribers, but we were supposed to receive the podcast disc - and mine duly arrived with the magazine. If yours didn't, you might want to contact them.

Edited by PCC, 01 January 2011 - 23:23.

#3671 Bill Becketts

Bill Becketts

• 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:40

Anyone else waiting for the Motor Sport 1970's DVD after taking up the (2 Year) Subscription Offer a couple of months ago?

#3672 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:45

Anyone else waiting for the Motor Sport 1970's DVD after taking up the (2 Year) Subscription Offer a couple of months ago?

I ordered a 60's DVD with my subscription renewal which arrived very quickly. I then got 2 copies of last months magazine delivered but haven't seen this months yet, although others seem to have it.

#3673 Bill Becketts

Bill Becketts

• 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:00

I ordered a 60's DVD with my subscription renewal which arrived very quickly. I then got 2 copies of last months magazine delivered but haven't seen this months yet, although others seem to have it.

I have seen the latest (Can't remember the "Month" as it seems to have little to do with when it is was issued) edition today in W H Smiths with the Tyrrell 6 Wheeler on the Cover. Not had my subscription copy through yet here in darkest Oxfordshire :cry:

#3674 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,600 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:05

I have seen the latest (Can't remember the "Month" as it seems to have little to do with when it is was issued) edition today in W H Smiths with the Tyrrell 6 Wheeler on the Cover. Not had my subscription copy through yet here in darkest Oxfordshire :cry:

The current issue is designated February. In the January magazine, the publication date for the next issue was given as January 7, but this was then changed to December 31, which may explain why not everyone has it yet.

Edited by midgrid, 04 January 2011 - 18:05.

#3675 retriever

retriever

• 392 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:08

Can I repeat the request that we have a separate thread for when the magazine arrives? I know that the magazine's appearance can provoke dancing on the streets in the provinces - as it does in my village actually- but I would like to use this thread to talk about contents not delivery arrangements. And breathe...

I, for one, support the view above.

#3676 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:24

Can I repeat the request that we have a seperate thread for when the magazine arrives? I know that the magazine's appearance can provoke dancing on the streets in the provinces - as it does in my village actually- but I would like to use this thread to talk about contents not delivery arragements . And breathe...

Maybe not then...

#3677 Les

Les

• 2,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:04

The current issue is designated February. In the January magazine, the publication date for the next issue was given as January 7, but this was then changed to December 31, which may explain why not everyone has it yet.

Thanks I'll leave it a few days and fingers crossed it turns up.

#3678 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,324 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:22

Maybe not then...

The sound of one hand clapping?

Motor Sport is not the only magazine delayed; I'm waiting for two other car mags which have both been on the shelves for quite a while.

#3679 retriever

retriever

• 392 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:31

Maybe not then...

Okay, I'll get me coat!

Advertisement

#3680 Faustus

Faustus

• 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 20:18

I've been reading Motorsport for about 15 years and I thoroughly enjoy every issue, but I find myself enjoying the American magazine 'Vintage Motorsport' more and more. It's not always easy to find and my local WHSmiths doesn't stock it, but I think it's definitely worth buying.

#3681 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 19:20

In this month's newsletter the VSCC draws to its members' attention that on February 22 Bill Boddy MBE, Founder Editor of Motor Sport magazine, will achieve his 95th birthday.Those of a generous and appreciative disposition might consider sending their congratulations to WB via the Motor Sport office;
editorial@motorsportmagazine.co.uk
editorial staff can be contacted at first name dot second name at motorsportmagazine.co.uk
Roger Lund.

Getting in early, and at the eternal risk of tempting Providence, I thought I would draw attention to the approaching 98th birthday on February 22 of William Boddy, to many of us one of our mentors. Whatever your views might be about any specific aspects of the magazine's present iteration, perhaps letters of congratulations and good wishes might be appropriate via the Motor Sport website, or, some might feel, more appropriately, handwritten to the Editor.
Usual disclaimers, as they always used to say.
Roger Lund

#3682 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,432 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:01

At least, being a monthly, they might just manage to print Jim Endruweit's obituary without attaching Len Terry's picture to it, unlike that (formerly) august publication, Autosport..........

Edited by Bloggsworth, 13 January 2011 - 20:02.

#3683 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 13:19

Getting in early, and at the eternal risk of tempting Providence, I thought I would draw attention to the approaching 98th birthday on February 22 of William Boddy, to many of us one of our mentors. Whatever your views might be about any specific aspects of the magazine's present iteration, perhaps letters of congratulations and good wishes might be appropriate via the Motor Sport website, or, some might feel, more appropriately, handwritten to the Editor.
Usual disclaimers, as they always used to say.
Roger Lund

I was very fortunate to get a letter of reply from Mr.Boddy a couple of years ago - typed on an old-fashioned typewriter with hand corrections - excellent!!

#3684 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 19:22

Not sure if there has been a shake up behind the scenes but Feb issue which i have just bought looks like some interesting reading. Cant wait till bedtime.

#3685 bigears

bigears

• 867 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:41

A very obsurce (sp?) question here for you.

Does anyone remember there was an article with an opening sentence from a British MP, Jeff Rooker before the Birmingham saying something along the lines that South Africans drivers are not allowed to race at the Superprix because of the situation in the country at the time, so he was making a politicial point in a motorsport event?

Can anyone tell me which year or month the article was published? I am struggling to find it in my collection!

#3686 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:46

A very obsurce (sp?) question here for you.

Does anyone remember there was an article with an opening sentence from a British MP, Jeff Rooker before the Birmingham saying something along the lines that South Africans drivers are not allowed to race at the Superprix because of the situation in the country at the time, so he was making a politicial point in a motorsport event?

Can anyone tell me which year or month the article was published? I am struggling to find it in my collection!

I'm not sure about the edition of Motor Sport, Bigears, but here's a link to some Birmingham City Council minutes from November 1989. Interesting debate - Jeff Rooker is there, Bob Cryer, Denis Howell etc.; Clare Short and Terry Davis refer ( Ref. 107, approx. two thirds of the way through) to an earlier agreement that South African people and companies should not be promoted at the Superprix, nor should cigarettes. Perhaps you have these minutes already.

http://webcache.goog.../nov/13/birming

Edited by john winfield, 19 January 2011 - 22:50.

#3687 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 466 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:39

May I suggest Motor Sport scoop up Simon Arron on a permanent basis as I can't carry on justifying buying Motoring news just to read his reports/column!

#3688 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,416 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 16:56

Just got the Feb issue, the one with the Tyrrell P-34 on the cover. Excellent, as usual, but I notice that Doug Nye and Bill Boddy both had their columns reduced from three or four pages to just two. I would much rather read anything by these two gentlemen than to read yet another uninteresting road car report.
Tom

#3689 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 17:34

Just got the Feb issue, the one with the Tyrrell P-34 on the cover. Excellent, as usual, but I notice that Doug Nye and Bill Boddy both had their columns reduced from three or four pages to just two. I would much rather read anything by these two gentlemen than to read yet another uninteresting road car report.
Tom

Seconded :wave:

#3690 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,129 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 17:50

Tom

Maybe neither of them could think of anything new to write about. I've done monthly features for magazines in the past, and while my output was never as prolific as Messrs Nye & Boddy, some months, the inspiration just didn't come. Both deserve a rest from time to time, with his length of service, Bill Boddy especially.

#3691 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 20:35

I've just received my renewal notification - 3 years has gone by quick! (I know - it's an age thing).

(1) It doesn't say when my present subscription expires ):
(2) I thought my sub was a standing order - it's hard to remember 3 years ago :well:
(3) It offers me a Motor Sport DVD as a sweetener
(4) But, in the magazine they are offering a Brockbank print instead
Hmmm! Do renew or do I let the subscription lapse and take out a new one? :confused:

And the advert in Motor Sport says
"Pay just £3.50 per issue when you subscribe and receive copies first. :clap:
~
Plus, we send our subscribers their issues direct to their door, so they receive them before they are available at the shops."

I wonder... :rolleyes:

Ah, but they also say if I'm not 100% happy at any time they will give a full refund of the outstanding subscription. So, could I take one offer, cancel, take the other, and when a new offer comes along cancel again? :evil: :lol:

Edited by D-Type, 21 January 2011 - 16:44.

#3692 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 22:22

I would much rather read anything by these two gentlemen than to read yet another uninteresting road car report. Tom

OT a little, but in similar vein.
I echo Tom's sentiments, and for the content of the magazine, that is why I enjoy Vintage Racecar so much, especially as it often covers many areas not usually written about "over here", but is not essentially a US centred magazine. Perhaps Motor Sport subscribers for whom some of the current content is not to their taste and usually ignored, might find it a useful parallel subscription. Usual disclaimers for both publications.
Roger Lund

#3693 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 630 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 22:54

March issue on sale in DUBLIN today , wonderful canam photo spread .

#3694 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:19

Getting in early, and at the eternal risk of tempting Providence, I thought I would draw attention to the approaching 98th birthday on February 22 of William Boddy, to many of us one of our mentors. Whatever your views might be about any specific aspects of the magazine's present iteration, ....congratulations and good wishes might be appropriate .
Usual disclaimers, as they always used to say. Roger Lund

I am sure all knowledgeable and discerning Motor Sport readers will welcome this opportunity to offer birthday good wishes to Bill Boddy, Founder Editor of Motor Sport magazine, on reaching his 98th birthday anniversary today.
Roger Lund

#3695 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:34

I am sure all knowledgeable and discerning Motor Sport readers will welcome this opportunity to offer birthday good wishes to Bill Boddy, Founder Editor of Motor Sport magazine, on reaching his 98th birthday anniversary today.
Roger Lund

Many happy returns, WB - and thanks for so many years of skilifully presented erudition.

#3696 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,201 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:23

Many happy returns, WB - and thanks for so many years of skilifully presented erudition.

Hear hear. I 'discovered' Motor Sport just after I turned 14, and have read it faithfully over the ensuing 46 years (apart from a gap during its red period). WB was then, and has remained. a national institution, and I am disappointed that he still only has an MBE to his name. Perhaps Her Majesty could knight him on his 100th birthday.

Happy Birthday WB.

#3697 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,129 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:26

Perhaps Her Majesty could knight him on his 100th birthday.

Happy Birthday WB.

Not unless she could also manage a posthumous one for DSJ.

#3698 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 14:56

Not unless she could also manage a posthumous one for DSJ.

You may well be right in that Jenks should have a knighthood, but please do not link that to Bill Boddy's qualifications. Each should be taken on his own merits, and not made part of any "package" deal. Tends to demean one's individual eligibility to a degree. IMO. Bill Boddy does not have to be linked with anybody else in order to validate his credentials.

Having said that, Happy Birthday, Bill! I continue to be amazed month after month, reading your erudite column. I marvel at your continued grasp of even the slightest detail from events that happened 80 or more years ago. Heck, I cannot even remember what I had for dinner last night.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 22 February 2011 - 14:58.

#3699 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 15:46

via the Motor Sport website

Slightly off topic, but I listened to the latest podcast with Martin Whitmarsh of McLaren and found it entertaining, if not unusual as he spent over an speaking almost without hesitation or prompting. He was occasionally prompted by a very brief question from the other three, including Roebuck. It seemed as if he didn't want to address specific questions, as in a normal Q & A interview, so he just gave answers to everything that he thought would entertain, inform etc. He would be very good on the BBC Radio programme "Just a minute"

Advertisement

#3700 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:30

Slightly off topic, but I listened to the latest podcast with Martin Whitmarsh of McLaren and found it entertaining, if not unusual as he spent over an speaking almost without hesitation or prompting. He was occasionally prompted by a very brief question from the other three, including Roebuck. It seemed as if he didn't want to address specific questions, as in a normal Q & A interview, so he just gave answers to everything that he thought would entertain, inform etc. He would be very good on the BBC Radio programme "Just a minute"

Whitmarsh was trained well at BAe where if you talk long enough everyone will have forgotten the question & lost the will to live!

He came back to BAe for "An evening with..." and after an hour of him talking he finally threw it open to questions. Needless to say he didn't actually answer any questions but did talk a lot!

:wave: