Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3701 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,037 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:46

Whitmarsh was trained well at BAe where if you talk long enough everyone will have forgotten the question & lost the will to live!

He came back to BAe for "An evening with..." and after an hour of him talking he finally threw it open to questions. Needless to say he didn't actually answer any questions but did talk a lot!

:wave:

With those attributes, it sounds as if he'd make a 'good' politician, "I'm glad you asked me that Mr Humphries, and what I will say is that...."

Advertisement

#3702 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:58

With those attributes, it sounds as if he'd make a 'good' politician, "I'm glad you asked me that Mr Humphries, and what I will say is that...."

It was exactly like a lecture, or an evening with He hardly paused for breath. There was one comment Roebuck snuck in at the end, which was telling...Whitmarsh had done a long bit about Ronzo, qualities etc. then some comments about not always agreeing and that they "traded" opinions. At which point NR said (sorry not the exact words, but the context of...) "are you saying RD actually admitted you were right?"

#3703 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 18:19

Just back from the shops where I picked up the April edition - on sale a day before the scheduled date! * It must be a first - has there ever been a naked woman on the front cover before? Maybe it is to celebrate Mr Boddy's 90th!

Articles include an F1 season preview (obviously not allowing for the Bahrain cancellation) and some stuff on overtaking etc, a piece on James Hunt (now you understand the naked woman), Lunch with Murray Walker, John Rhodes & Minis, new Mini in the WRC, Cosworth today, Dakar Rally, new McLaren road-car test and all you usual favourites.

Parting Shot is Peterson going off in the Texaco Star at Rouen F2 1973 after hitting the temporary chicane. Can anyone identify the two cars following him? Memory eludes me...

* apologies to those who will have to wait weeks yet, but there has to be some advantage to living so close to London!

#3704 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 13,848 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 18:57

Parting Shot is Peterson going off in the Texaco Star at Rouen F2 1973 after hitting the temporary chicane. Can anyone identify the two cars following him? Memory eludes me...

Haven't seen the magazine yet, but if it's the same photo that appeared in the MN report, they are Jean-Pierre Jaussaud's Motul M1 #12 and Jose Dolhem's Surtees TS15 #38.

#3705 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:25

Well, he only went off once, so any photo would have the same cars in it! But it is probably indeed the same shot. The first car definitely has Motul emblazoned on its nose, and looking at the second car, it is certainly looks like a Surtees and the race numbers match. It is unusual for a 1970s F2 shot to have three cars and not one of them a March!

Many thanks for the prompt response - it probably wouldn't have kept me awake tonight, but it is nice to know!

Edited by BRG, 24 February 2011 - 19:27.

#3706 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 00:19

Haven't seen the magazine yet, but if it's the same photo that appeared in the MN report, they are Jean-Pierre Jaussaud's Motul M1 #12 and Jose Dolhem's Surtees TS15 #38.

I'm very pleased to say that I have a 24"x36" print of that photograph. It was done for the Motor Sport stand at that year's Motor Show. While it was on display RP autographed it, and that was photographed too, so I have that as a print as well! Here it is...

Posted Image

#3707 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:28

Just back from the shops where I picked up the April edition - on sale a day before the scheduled date! * It must be a first - has there ever been a naked woman on the front cover before? Maybe it is to celebrate Mr Boddy's 90th!

Perhaps WB wishes it were 90; as I understand it, the number is 98! Again, best birthday wishes to a marvelous gentleman.
Tom

#3708 dolomite

dolomite

• 947 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 20:41

And the advert in Motor Sport says
"Pay just £3.50 per issue when you subscribe and receive copies first. :clap:
~
Plus, we send our subscribers their issues direct to their door, so they receive them before they are available at the shops."

Went shopping this morning in Tescos. Latest issue of Motor Sport on display on the shelves.

My subscription copy arrived in the post this afternoon.

Hmmm

#3709 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 21:11

Went shopping this morning in Tescos. Latest issue of Motor Sport on display on the shelves.

My subscription copy arrived in the post this afternoon.

Hmmm

And so, the blame rests squarely at the feet of the Royal Mail, eh?

#3710 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 21:35

The March edition said that the April edition would be out on 25 February - it said nothing about morning or afternoon!

Having read a bit, I liked the little report by Franca Davenport (daughter of John) about her run on the Monte Carlo Historique in a Renault 4L co-driving for the legendary Jean Ragnotti.

#3711 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:35

Jody Scheckter lent two of his cars to Motor Sport for their stand at Race Retro. I'm glad that I had not already purchased the April edition of the magazine as they have it on a show special offer at Stoneleigh for £2! :up:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-02-27
Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-02-27

Edited by Giraffe, 27 February 2011 - 08:36.

#3712 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 294 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 16:17

Eoin Young is on sparkling form in the April edition. His review of Tom Rubython's book on James Hunt is far from complimentary - 'overwritten and under-subbed ... you have to read the whole tome, if only to say you were able to' - while his account of how he came to write Hunt's Against All Odds is great fun. £4,500 (almost £25K in today's money) for two weeks' work!

Elsewhere, I see that crazy deadlines for motor racing ghost-writers are nothing new. In the March-April edition of the Brooklands Bulletin, Ian Wagstaff tells the story of the recently deceased Michael Burn. Aged 19, and having just dropped out from Oxford University, he was given three weeks to write Tim Birkin's Full Throttle. Most of the time was spent with Birkin walking up and down and dictating, and Burn furiously taking notes.

At least Young had a tape recorder ... and £4,500!

Edited by P0wderf1nger, 27 February 2011 - 16:45.

#3713 retriever

retriever

• 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:35

I have just spent the last 15 minutes filling out an online survey from the publishers of Motor Sport only to be reach the penultimate page to be told I do not qualify for this survey even though I completed correctly all sections. Infuriating to say the least!

I cannot see where I got it wrong - so maybe those of the magazine who peruse this thread for feedback might kindly reply and enlighten me as to why as a subscriber I have been excluded?

Maybe others on this forum have had the same experience as I have.

I very am disappointed as one section provided a facility whereby subject areas can be graded - this allowing those readers who do not like the growing amount of road car content a chance to register their views.

#3714 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 13:56

Anyone else been emailed about undertaking a survey for the magazine?

Some interesting questions raised, particularly those about a possible digital edition of the publication.

#3715 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:01

Hilariously, they also ask whether I spectate or compete when it comes to grands prix...

#3716 uffen

uffen

• 798 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:49

Can we go back to the photo in post 3706?
It shows Ronnie after he crashed through a barrier, or at least it seems to show that. What the hecek was the barrier made of? It certainly didn't seem to do much harm to the nose of his car!

#3717 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,020 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:54

It shows Ronnie after he crashed through a barrier, or at least it seems to show that. What the hecek was the barrier made of? It certainly didn't seem to do much harm to the nose of his car!

It was a quick fix after Gerry Birrell's fatal accident - I think Motoring News described the blocks as made of polystyrene but I might be wrong. Presumably there are different weights / grades - the blocks were very light, and disintegrated on impact, but, presumably, sufficiently heavy not to blow over without contact from cars.

#3718 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 432 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:52

I had a word with the guy from MS at Race Retro. Bascially I said I had read it since I was 14 and enjoyed the current format but disliked the current road car content and the amount of US stuff. I also suggested that when talking about current historic racing they should look beyond Masters/Legends etc and look at the excellent stuff lower down the cost rankings. As Ed Foster does many of these events they have a man on the spot!
I was asked to write to Gordon Cruikshank with my views, so perhaps we should all do so?

#3719 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 280 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:49

This is yet another reason why I gave up my subscription for MS and reverted to rereading older copies from my extensive archive. Somehow Boddy managed to edit the magazine without surveying the readers... We just loved what he and his contributors wrote somehow..!

Marticelli

PS Just reading a fascinating book 'Treasure Islands', subtitled 'Tax havens and the men who stole the World'. This goes a long way to explaining the background to the financial woes of the world these days, and I guess F1 is just symptomatic of it all

Advertisement

#3720 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 19:26

Some interesting questions raised, particularly those about a possible digital edition of the publication.

I am a subscriber and did fill out the entire survey without any problem. But, as Dank mentions, there was a lot of stuff there about a possible digital edition of the mag. I took the opportunity of the remarks boxes to let them know very emphatically that I am not at all interested in digital. I may be old fashioned, but doggone it, I want to hold a paper copy in my hand, walk around with it, carry it anywhere, and store it on a shelf for reference when I am done. I do NOT want digital!

I had a word with the guy from MS at Race Retro. Bascially I said I had read it since I was 14 and enjoyed the current format but disliked the current road car content and the amount of US stuff.

I agree with you on the road car stuff. I ranked that a dismal last in my listing of features. But I strongly differ with you on the amount of US stuff. I greatly enjoy that, all except for anything nascar. But of course, I am from the US, so I suppose that colors my preferences.
Tom

#3721 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 19:48

Yep filled out the survey without a problem

Interesting they are also looking to speak to readers on a " one to one " basis

PAR

#3722 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 19:53

Also completed the survey without any problems

I interpreted the digital question as an additional option, personally a magazine is preferable but electronic option useful at times, for a small fee of course!

#3723 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 19:57

I was asked to write to Gordon Cruikshank with my views, so perhaps we should all do so?

What, even if we don't agree with your views? Objecting to 'US stuff' is just some sort of Little Britain-ism IMO, and I find the road car material interesting. I would say drop the motorcycle page and the auction house reports. And also drop the monthly Ivan Dutton Daily Mail editorial.

#3724 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,037 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 20:11

But I strongly differ with you on the amount of US stuff. I greatly enjoy that, all except for anything nascar. But of course, I am from the US, so I suppose that colors my preferences.
Tom

US stuff generally I don't find too interesting, but I love intelligent writing on NASCAR, so they have at least one avid UK reader on that.

#3725 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 20:26

Taking into the account the differing views/tastes over the last few posts and the fact that so much news and information is now readily accessible at out fingertips, does highlight what a difficult job " Motor Sport " has in pitching their magazine at a level that pleases the majority

Are we are becoming a readership that is more knowledgeable with higher expectations and therefore harder to please?

PAR

#3726 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 20:33

Taking into the account the differing views/tastes over the last few posts and the fact that so much news and information is now readily accessible at out fingertips, does highlight what a difficult job " Motor Sport " has in pitching their magazine at a level that pleases the majority

That's probably why they are doing a survey. :)

#3727 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,644 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:56

The photo shows Ronnie after he has clipped a Styrofoam block from the chicane and he has broken his steering. He is headed for an armco fence which he ends up on top of after sliding along it for quite a while.
There is a series of photos showing the lead up to the crash...
http://img90.imagesh...ouen0015wq.jpg/

http://img91.imagesh...ouen0028lv.jpg/

http://img91.imagesh...ouen0033dg.jpg/

#3728 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,605 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 22:14

All ciggie posts can now be found in the 'Blood pressure' thread where they belong...  ;)

#3729 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 866 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 23:40

In this evening's episode of "Midsomer Murders" - titled "Barnaby" in some countries there was an incredible amount of product placement for MotorSport magazine with numerous mocked up magazine covers to fit the characters in the script. Octane magazine only got one brief appearance in the background of one scene.

David

#3730 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,225 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:05

In this evening's episode of "Midsomer Murders" - titled "Barnaby" in some countries there was an incredible amount of product placement for MotorSport magazine with numerous mocked up magazine covers to fit the characters in the script. Octane magazine only got one brief appearance in the background of one scene.

David

Well I never department - the producers contacted me for my permission to show a copy of my Cooper Cars book in this episode. My missis and I had completely forgotten about that with the passage of a few months, only to flick around the telly channels and see a Cooper featuring tonight. As the end titles rolled we looked at one another, both having only just remembered the contact...and having only just realised that this must have been 'the' programme in question. Saw 'Motor Sport' (many, many times), but not the book. Guess it wound up on the cutting room floor. No matter... :p

DCN

#3731 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:43

Was there some Brooklands content in this, too?

#3732 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 866 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:42

The episode was about a racing driver and there was some racing footage at the beginning where they spliced original film from Aintree, Silverstone and a current day Silverstone Classic meeting together all purporting to be one race. They featured a Coopper T45 restoration and there was a concours competition with the cars featuring quite heavily throughout the show, Brookland's show gazebo was in one shot giving them a little publicity.

David

#3733 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15

All the MotorSports shown had cobbled up covers to suit the plot. One even had Samantha Bond posing by an old car!

But I did catch a glimpse of the colour section from the late sixties which featured an F.2 race.

#3734 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:19

For those that missed the episode in question: http://www.itv.com/i.../?Filter=224924

#3735 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 618 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:39

For those that missed the episode in question:

They were the lucky ones!. :confused:

#3736 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:41

They were the lucky ones!. :confused:

Titter! :lol:

#3737 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:56

For those that missed the episode in question:

I'd rather watch paint stay wet.

#3738 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 17:22

I'd rather watch paint stay wet.

Given up the cat-burgling, eh?

#3739 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 17:30

David

Any Lewis Hamilton covers?

Advertisement

#3740 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 20:06

I said I had read it since I was 14 and enjoyed the current format but disliked the current road car content and the amount of US stuff. I also suggested that when talking about current historic racing they should look beyond Masters/Legends etc and look at the excellent stuff lower down the cost rankings.

I have to say that the mag has lately turned into not much more than a tribute to F1. I for one would welcome more motorsport in the mag and less (or no) F1. Fully agree on the historic stuff though!

On the subject of the recent James Hunt book review by Eioin Young, someone who should know told me that the book was in fact a very good, well-researched read and that the review had been very much the result of sour grapes....

#3741 DN5

DN5

• 272 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 20:19

Well, any magazine that has the quote "the blissfully talented Tom Pryce" will always get an excellent rating in my book so I have really enjoyed this month's edition.

Geoff

#3742 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 22:07

I have to say that the mag has lately turned into not much more than a tribute to F1. I for one would welcome more motorsport in the mag and less (or no) F1. Fully agree on the historic stuff though!

On the subject of the recent James Hunt book review by Eioin Young, someone who should know told me that the book was in fact a very good, well-researched read and that the review had been very much the result of sour grapes....

Then you will love the May edition, which is a tribute to the Indy 500's centennial.

Re the new Hunt book; up front I admit I have not read it. But the title itself is enough to make one question the content.

Tom

#3743 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:58

New feature: "The Week in motor sport."

#3744 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 19:37

Very disappointed by the Alan Henry article on Rondel Racing. This is an interesting subject but it is handled so badly. No proper explanation of why Ron and Neil left Brabham, absolutely no explanation of what happened to Rondel, the Motul M1 simply appears without explanation. It is a really shoddy bit of work. Doesn't the editor read things? I would have slung this back at Henry and told him to do it over if it had been me..

#3745 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,478 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 23:34

New feature: "The Week in motor sport."

Interesting idea, but fellas, if you are reading this, it's not rocket science to set up three microphones. If you are employing a sound engineer, sack him. If not get one for your next session.

The way this piece ended up being recorded - with Damien barely audible - just makes it look, and sound, very amateurish, which I know you're not.

Hope you have a better outcome on the next one! :up:

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 31 March 2011 - 00:19.

#3746 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:56

I like the idea, but next time there should be some more extras in the background. Maybe somebody cleaning the floor, delivering a pizza or drilling a hole in the wall. And possibly the people behind the microphones (were that microphones?) should cheer up a bit - the magazine itself is starting to look too F1-ish already, must they too?

#3747 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 294 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:39

At the risk of being in a minority of one, I should like to praise Motor Sport.

I appreciate that will be an odd notion to many of you, but stop for a minute and think about it. Messrs Roebuck, Nye and Taylor, plus The Bod, each and every month. What's not to like about that? I dare say they don't come cheap, so if the owner tries to expand the readership with some road car articles, or please the odd sponsor with a page from Louisa Skipper, that's fine by me. It means he can afford for me to pay an entirely acceptable subscription fee for me to enjoy my favourite read of the month by a mile.

#3748 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:08

At the risk of being in a minority of one, I should like to praise Motor Sport.

Better make that a minority of two then  ;)

#3749 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:08

Struggled to find this months copy in Tesco. Someone, in their wisdom had it moved from the motoring/sport section and put it under mens interests, alongside steam engines and fishing.

Edited by ryan86, 01 April 2011 - 14:36.

#3750 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:16

Better make that a minority of two then ;)

We're just a picky bunch.

I've recently cancelled my subscription to Autosport. There's no way I'm doing that with Motorsport :)