Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3751 bill p

bill p

• 376 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:48

Very disappointed by the Alan Henry article on Rondel Racing. This is an interesting subject but it is handled so badly. No proper explanation of why Ron and Neil left Brabham, absolutely no explanation of what happened to Rondel, the Motul M1 simply appears without explanation. It is a really shoddy bit of work. Doesn't the editor read things? I would have slung this back at Henry and told him to do it over if it had been me..

My sentiments, entirely - Alan Henry is capable of much better

Advertisement

#3752 Cargo

Cargo

• 225 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:55

New feature: "The Week in motor sport."

actually quite enjoyed this, but next time they need to use clip-on mikes ...

#3753 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,479 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 17:42

My sentiments, entirely - Alan Henry is capable of much better

Is he though? It's been ages since he's come up with a really worthwhile book, not just a potboiler rehashed from race reports and old interviews...

#3754 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 18:15

Is he though? It's been ages since he's come up with a really worthwhile book, not just a potboiler rehashed from race reports and old interviews...

Agreed.

#3755 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,551 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:12

'Interesting idea, but fellas, if you are reading this, it's not rocket science to set up three microphones. If you are employing a sound engineer, sack him. If not get one for your next session.

The way this piece ended up being recorded - with Damien barely audible - just makes it look, and sound, very amateurish, which I know you're not.'
They should employ me to produce their videos and sound stuff. I'd make a decent job of it. I've asked them once or twice already, and guess what the answer I got was?
Yep, that's right - no answer at all!

#3756 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:52

Is it me or did they change printing ink. Opened my copy wrapper and was greeted by a funny smell. F1 petrol 1989...

#3757 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:57

Is it me or did they change printing ink. Opened my copy wrapper and was greeted by a funny smell. F1 petrol 1989...

Not just me then! I noticed a funny wiff as I flicked through this month's issue!

#3758 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:43

I was told back in January that Alan Henry is not at all well (I was given a reason too) and that might be affecting his capacity to create a lot of new and in-depth work at the moment.

#3759 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:58

Better make that a minority of two then ;)

Make that 3.. :up:

Advertisement

#3760 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:52

I was told back in January that Alan Henry is not at all well (I was given a reason too) and that might be affecting his capacity to create a lot of new and in-depth work at the moment.

I am sorry to hear that and wish him well.

However, it does not absolve the Editor from the unpleasant duty of having to decide what to do about a below standard article. Not a nice job, I recognise that, but his first duty should be to upholding the quality of the magazine.

#3761 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:22

However, it does not absolve the Editor from the unpleasant duty of having to decide what to do about a below standard article. Not a nice job, I recognise that, but his first duty should be to upholding the quality of the magazine.

With respect, I think you're being unnecessarily harsh - as a story limited to a three or so pages, I find it perfectly acceptable.

Edited by mfd, 05 April 2011 - 21:22.

#3762 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 22:05

With respect, I think you're being unnecessarily harsh - as a story limited to a three or so pages, I find it perfectly acceptable.

Three pages is quite a lot - plenty enough to cover the full story of Rondel (it only lasted three years after all) including its ending. I think it is shoddy work.

And another thing - the Nurburgring story seems a very one-sided account and is not very objective. Much as one admires the remarkable Sabine, she does have an axe to grind.

#3763 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 23:34

...the Nurburgring story seems a very one-sided account and is not very objective. Much as one admires the remarkable Sabine, she does have an axe to grind.

I'd be unhappy if I had a local family hotel business, being stunted by a monopoly that now controls where 'ring visitors can stay.

#3764 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 17:26

I'd be unhappy if I had a local family hotel business, being stunted by a monopoly that now controls where 'ring visitors can stay.

I agree, but the article still only seems to tell one side of the story. There seemed to be a question about whether indeed there is any such control.

#3765 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,427 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 15:04

In the category of credit where due is this: I received the May issue on April 8th! So? Well, after years of receiving the issues well within the month of the cover date, thus being a month or more behind publication date, Motor Sport has greatly improved their distribution in the US in the past six months. This is the earliest I have ever received the mag, and a good month earlier than what had been the norm for years. I am impressed, and I thank the powers that be for recognizing a problem and addressing it. Thanks!

Tom

#3766 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 23:23

How about a DSJ or MJT GP race report in full from the 50s, 60s or 70s? Would make a nice monthly addition to the mag. Just a thought........for nostalgic sake.

#3767 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:57

How about a DSJ or MJT GP race report in full from the 50s, 60s or 70s? Would make a nice monthly addition to the mag. Just a thought........for nostalgic sake.

Not much use for those of us who have the originals from the days when MS was a magazine about contemporary motor sport activity!
I think I have three versions of the DSJ Mille Miglia account, the original and the reprints at significant anniversaries (sorry can't remember which).
Don't think MJT was reporting in the 1970s - a quick check shows that Jenks wrote the reports in 1979.

#3768 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:09

I think you're mixing up your abbreviations. Possibly you mean D J T, as in David Tremayne.

#3769 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:45

I think you're mixing up your abbreviations. Possibly you mean D J T, as in David Tremayne.

There was certainly a report in 1991 by D.J.T. whoever he is/was. Jenks was still writing them then.

#3770 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,235 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:17

You got those initials right, MJT was Michael Tee.

#3771 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,600 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 13:43

And back in the 60s I believe that MLT was Mike Twite, who either built the S2 Lotus 7 kit or was running a Morgan 4/4 IIRC the old article.
In terms of repeating Jenks' old articles there are probably 2 issues. Firstly it would depend on the licensing deal which the current owners have with Haymarket for the MS brand/title and access to old articles. Secondly I always understood that Jenks' work was always his copyright, presently retained and protected by the executors of his estate, hence in both cases the very limited side-bar use of his views or comments on races etc. But then I may be wrong.......

I suspect though that a large percentage of the current or targeted readership of MS would either not know of Jenks' legendary staus and skills, or would not relate to the era of which he wrote and kept his own audience so rapt with enthusiasm.

BTW if you want to enjoy the writings of DSJ and WB why not invest in a copy of the various CD Rom things from the current publishers which enable you to search for anything contained in the old issues. Usual disclaimers.
Roger Lund

#3772 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,531 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 13:53

Secondly I always understood that Jenks' work was always his copyright, presently retained and protected by the executors of his estate, hence in both cases the very limited side-bar use of his views or comments on races etc. But then I may be wrong.......

You're not wrong, Roger:

Copyright in Jenks's work resides with his Estate - he was never a full-time employee of 'Motor Sport's publishers, so Haymarket as present owners of that title have no exclusive rights over DSJ's work. There are no plans to grant anyone Internet rights to reproduce anything by him.

DCN

#3773 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,404 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 14:58

Nothing has changed. 'Motor Sport' occasionally republishes DSJ material while donating regular support to the motor industry benevolent society BEN home at Sunningdale, where Jenks was so well cared for towards the end of his long, busy and productive life.

DCN

#3774 john aston

john aston

• 828 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 16:52

Sorry but the only people who would enjoy such reprints are old farts like me who read them first time round.Cannot see the point.And much as I enjoyed most of his stuff it did infuriate me on occasion- heresy alert- I preferred Pete Lyons actually...

#3775 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 21:10

Thanks all for the input. I have many many old issues and add to them at the rate of 3 or 4 a month. Most enjoyable reading I might add.

#3776 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:06

I have today finally completed my collection from 1946 to date, apart from a few holes in the late '70s/early '80s, and a few more in the 2000s

#3777 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,387 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:36

Nothing has changed. 'Motor Sport' occasionally republishes DSJ material while donating regular support to the motor industry benevolent society BEN home at Sunningdale, where Jenks was so well cared for towards the end of his long, busy and productive life.

DCN

Good news Doug; I've been tipping the occasional stray shilling into the BEN pot for yonks, mostly from folks who have stumped up for snaps taken who knows when, who knows where. If only the photo-robbers could be brought to account, I would gladly offer the odd extra Shekel...

#3778 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 17:51

Latest 'week in motorsport' is now up:

#3779 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:05

I have today finally completed my collection from 1946 to date, apart from a few holes in the late '70s/early '80s, and a few more in the 2000s

Hi David, if you let me know the dates I may be able to fill the gaps. I started buying in the late 70s and I am looking to downsize my collection.

Edited by Catalina Park, 14 April 2011 - 07:10.

Advertisement

#3780 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,825 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:30

Latest edition of Motorsport, the Indy 500 tribute part

P73; Al Unser's last race being 1992......
Yes I know, his last race of 1993 was of even less significance as the nearly identical performance of 1990: really nothing special, just being there only. But he was still there in 1993.

Question: What made Al's 1990 race so significant from historical point of view?
Hint to the brits: Think patriotic.....

P79 Arie Luyendijk winning the pole in 1990 with a T90/00....
Well, he was indeed the fastest Lola in qualifying but not on pole, "Just" third.

(Me, lucky Dutchie was there that day when Arie won that outside spot and I went beserk that day. I think that had he won Pole I would have gone just ao much out of my head as I did when i saw Arie win the race one week later.)

Henri

#3781 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:11

Hi David, if you let me know the dates I may be able to fill the gaps. I started buying in the late 70s and I am looking to downsize my collection.

Thanks very much Michael - I'll let you know
My priority was to get the earlier gaps filled, which I've now achieved. So right now I'm a happy bunny :cat:

#3782 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,404 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:41

I don't think this is heresy at all, John - just fair comment - Pete was undoubtedly a far better writer - per se - but by the time he and Jenks were reporting the same event DSJ was in decline, his best work behind him, his role as an exemplar fulfilled. I'm pretty sure Pete would in turn pay tribute to The Gnome's part in his own development.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 14 April 2011 - 12:44.

#3783 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,040 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 14:51

I don't think this is heresy at all, John - just fair comment - Pete was undoubtedly a far better writer - per se - but by the time he and Jenks were reporting the same event DSJ was in decline, his best work behind him, his role as an exemplar fulfilled. I'm pretty sure Pete would in turn pay tribute to The Gnome's part in his own development.

DCN

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. Pete Lyons was writing for Autosport in the early 70s and DSJ was definitely not in decline at that time. No criticism of either writer intended.

#3784 Option1

Option1

• 13,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 15:53

Sorry but the only people who would enjoy such reprints are old farts like me who read them first time round.Cannot see the point.And much as I enjoyed most of his stuff it did infuriate me on occasion- heresy alert- I preferred Pete Lyons actually...

A further sorry, but some of us old farts didn't get to read them first time around - either coming to the sport later in life or being in a remote location where MS was either unavailable or prohibitively expensive at the time. Personally, I would absolutely LOVE (superlative intended) to read reprints of the articles from those times by DSJ and others. It's one of the many reasons I lurk around here. :)

Neil

#3785 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 16:12

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. Pete Lyons was writing for Autosport in the early 70s and DSJ was definitely not in decline at that time. No criticism of either writer intended.

Apart from the book of his collected writings Jenks, a passion for motor sport, most of what I can remember of his work came from reading Dad's copy while I was still at school, so quite a long time ago. Again, no criticism at all intended, but DSJ's work was never 'polished' in the literary sense, when Pete Lyons entered my life, mainly as a regular contributor to Autosport, I couldn't afford Motor Sport as well in those days. I often used to re-read his articles and race reports, purely for the pleasure that his work gave me, and I don't say that because Pete is still very much with us and an occasional presence on TNF, whose ears are probably burning at this very moment.

#3786 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,404 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:52

No need to be afraid - Pete wrote the ''Autosport' F1 reports I think from 1973... By that time Jenks was saying that he was finding it much harder to do better in the monthly than the boys were achieving in their weeklies. For my taste DSJ's early/mid-60s work represented his peak - notwithstanding Mille Miglia 1955-56.

DCN

#3787 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:37

I agree, but the article still only seems to tell one side of the story. There seemed to be a question about whether indeed there is any such control.

I just read in the paper that Ron Simons did win his case - the court judging that Nürburgring are not allowed to use their market controlling position to eliminate competition.
They now have to compete on even terms against Simons RSR company.
Well done, sometimes the courts do have common sense !

#3788 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 19:14

Each month, I seem to find something that puzzles me in Motorsport. This time, in Parting Shot, a photo of the start of the 1958 French GP at Reims shows some major floodlighting gantries in the background. Why did they need floodlights?

Also, in the A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring thread, I commented that we were all mad back then, with a crowd standing at the side of the track during the start in one picture. This one is even worse - there is one clot standing ON the track with a starting F1 car about to pass about one foot from his toes. Did we have no imagination back then or were we just all astonishingly brave??

#3789 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,078 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 19:26

Maybe they needed the floodlights for the 12 hour race.

#3790 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 19:36

Maybe they needed the floodlights for the 12 hour race.

Well, they do look fairly permanent, judging from the crops surrounding them, so maybe that's it.

#3791 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 498 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 19:43

Well, they do look fairly permanent, judging from the crops surrounding them, so maybe that's it.

The 12 hour sports car race started at midnight, so the lights would have been necessary for the starting area as the drivers were still running across tha track and jumping into their cars.

#3792 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,427 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 23:35

Did we have no imagination back then or were we just all astonishingly brave??

Not brave, just foolish! I have photos I took back in the early 1960s from places which were insane. Back then, I never thought about it, but looking at them now, I realize that I may indeed be very lucky to be here today!
Tom

#3793 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:48

Not brave, just foolish! I have photos I took back in the early 1960s from places which were insane. Back then, I never thought about it, but looking at them now, I realize that I may indeed be very lucky to be here today!
Tom

It occurs to me that I have many times acted as start marshal on rally stages where I was standing very close to each car as it set off. And most of the drivers weren't of F1 level talent! In retrospect, perhaps steel toe caps would have been wise!

#3794 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 20:57

This one is even worse - there is one clot standing ON the track with a starting F1 car about to pass about one foot from his toes. Did we have no imagination back then or were we just all astonishingly brave??

For me it was a case of getting as close to the action as possible! It never crossed my mind that I may have been a tad foolhardy.....

#3795 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:52

In the category of credit where due is this: I received the May issue on April 8th! So? Well, after years of receiving the issues well within the month of the cover date, thus being a month or more behind publication date, Motor Sport has greatly improved their distribution in the US in the past six months. This is the earliest I have ever received the mag, and a good month earlier than what had been the norm for years. I am impressed, and I thank the powers that be for recognizing a problem and addressing it. Thanks!

Tom

I purchased the June issue from the shop at Donington Park on 28th April and read this month's splendid "Lunch with......." featuring Howden Ganley. Whilst congratulating Howden on the article yesterday in an aside to an e-mail, I received the following response.....

Glad you liked the ' Lunch with ..... '. I have not seen it yet. Simon arranged for
MS to send me a copy which should be here in a day or two.

Howden does reside in California however. I hope he doesn't miss out on his article!

Edited by Giraffe, 07 May 2011 - 06:09.

#3796 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:53

Regretablly here in Buenos Aires the magazines (I´m a subscriber from several years ago)are sending by a slowcoach. I lost my March issue , and I recieved the April one (the last until now) on April 21th.
It´s a pity :|

#3797 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:20

Howden does reside in California however. I hope he doesn't miss out on his article!

That shouldn't be a problem, I live in California and see MotorSport on the shelves at Barnes & Noble and Borders all the time.

#3798 BRG

BRG

• 11,683 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 16:02

Now this is probably going to be embarrassing.

I have finally read the Ganley article which was enjoyable and interesting as usual. But in the midst of it is a mention that McLaren started in New Malden in 1964. I was shocked to read this, as I had never heard this before, and because at the time I was a spotty teenage oik living in.... New Malden. How could I have not known this? I did a search on TNF and can find no mention of New Malden, nor could I find much through Google. It is mentioned in Wikipedia, but despite that, I am sure it is true.

Can anyone tell me where in New Malden the team was originally based?

It now appears that, after years of not supporting any one team, I will now have to become a McLarenista.

#3799 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,309 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:00

In "It beats working", Eoin Young just describes it as "the motor racing equivalent of a biblical stable" and that it was adjacent to "a road grader in a dusty, high-roofed building" somewhere near the (Kingston) bypass. I don't know if that vague snippet allied to your local knowledge gets you any nearer.
Somewhere I have some early '70s publicity brochures for the team - if I can find them I'll see if they cover any history.

Edited by 2F-001, 14 May 2011 - 19:01.

Advertisement

#3800 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,531 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:21

In DCN's McLaren history the New Malden facility is described as 'a dirt-floored shed shared with an earth-mover servicing outlet in New Malden'. They weren't there long; Bruce rented the shed in early 1964, probably March, and by August they were operating out of far more salubrious premises in Feltham.