Photo

'Motor Sport' magazine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4174 replies to this topic

#3801 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:34

Ah, I feel a bit better if it isn't a well-known fact that only I had missed!

I do not recall any earth moving servicing outlets in NM. It isn't a very industrial area, more a dormitory suburb for commuters. And today, it is Little Seoul. Most of NM is close to the Kingston By-Pass which loops around it. The area that it might be is between Blagdon and Burlington Roads which used to have scrap yards and such. If it was there, it makes it worse for me as I went along Blagdon Road twice a day to and from school without knowing that McLaren were there! Grateful for any more detail!

Advertisement

#3802 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:47

What we need is an addition to Google Maps 'street view" whereby one can select the date...!
(I'll get my coat...)

#3803 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 19:26

Spotted this on my Internet travels recently: http://www.motorspor....co.uk/fbissue/

To claim your free issue of Motor Sport, please call us on 020 7349 8472 or e-mail us at subscriptions@motorsportmagazine.co.uk, quoting fbissue with your contact details and we will dispatch your free issue!

Seems like a good offer, considering it retails for £4.95 here in the UK...

#3804 motorsportmagazine

motorsportmagazine

• 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 14:58

Spotted this on my Internet travels recently: http://www.motorspor....co.uk/fbissue/

Seems like a good offer, considering it retails for £4.95 here in the UK...

Unfortunately the offer of a free issue is no longer available. However, you can still take advantage of receiving 15 issues for the price on 12 at £46 by following the same URL. MS http://www.motorspor....co.uk/fbissue/

Edited by motorsportmagazine, 23 May 2011 - 14:59.

#3805 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,223 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:50

Unfortunately the offer of a free issue is no longer available. However, you can still take advantage of receiving 15 issues for the price on 12 at £46 by following the same URL. MS http://www.motorspor....co.uk/fbissue/

The perennial question from disgruntled long-term UK subscribers.

Why is every single one of these Motor Sport offers aimed only at new subscribers ? When are you going to do something that benefits and says an appreciative "Thank you!" to your faithful long-termers, many of whom have been renewing year after year for as long as they can remember ?

#3806 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 16:23

Why is every single one of these Motor Sport offers aimed only at new subscribers ? When are you going to do something that benefits and says an appreciative "Thank you!" to your faithful long-termers, many of whom have been renewing year after year for as long as they can remember ?

I feel the same Rob- I've always been tempted to lapse & re-subscribe with a better offer. Which reminds me of another thing - on the podcast when they do the sales bit. I'm always put off by the thought of a free widget shammy umbrella that go with the new subscriptions.

#3807 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 16:41

I concur.

I would lap up the opportunity of paying £46 for 15 issues, but my current subscription period expires towards the end of the year, by which time such promo will probably have vanished.

#3808 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,223 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:06

I'm happy to say that we are currently in the process of bringing all our subscription management in house and the higher level of control this gives us has offered the chance to completely overhaul our renewal and subscription policies. Various possible benefits to existing subscribers are being considered, all of equal value to, if not better than, those offered to new subscribers.

These renewal offers will be rolling out over the few months or so. As ever, any feedback is gratefully received - we do listen and try to respond as much as we can.

Cara

Motor Sport Magazine

I hope nobody is going to get too excited about the faint prospect of a deal for existing subscribers that at least matches what newcomers are currently being offered. The hopes of some of us were raised more than a year ago by what appeared to be an 'official' Motor Sport post, but nothing at all happened. This fairly minor, though disproportionally irritating inequity remains. I suspect that none of us has been forced into making economies in food on the table etc, to continue receiving the magazine, but this isn't the way to treat loyal customers of long standing.

#3809 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:17

Thinking about this subscription malarkey for one minute though... I'm paying for my annual subscription by credit card. I don't believe it auto-renews, does it? So I'll just bag me whatever 'incentive' is doing the rounds when it's time to cough up again.

#3810 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:37

A deafening silence this month! However, as seems to be becoming a regular thing, I am wondering about a couple of things from the latest edition.

Firstly, in the marvellous photos from the 1959/60 Le Mans races, there are those famous sand banks. Were these put in place just for the race weekend and then removed? And how effective were they? Judging from the Frazer Nash beached on one, they did work.

Secondly, in the Parting Shot picture from Monaco, there are some bits of equipment in the background, probably fire fighting gear. It appears to be on the race track side of the Armco at St Devote. Was this the case, or is it just the angle of teh shot and in fact the gear is out of the line of fire. Any thoughts.

#3811 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 17:18

I know there is a separate thread recording the desparately sad news of The Bod's passing, but I hope no one will mind me raising the subject here, on what might be considered home ground.

I understand he did actually file copy for next month's issue, working for Motor Sport almost literally to the end. Would that we all get to go out like that.

#3812 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 20:18

That thread started here (by me) and was detached by a thoughtful Moderator.
It seemed much more important to a thread on Motor Sport than the endless debate about subscription copies' delivery, but probably a separate thread was a Good Idea.
It is important to remember that during The Bod's Editorship MS was a news magazine and WB's excursions into motoring history were an extra. That's why many of us find a set of MS for the period up to about 1995 such a useful reference/research tool.

#3813 retrospeed

retrospeed

• 94 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 21:50

That thread started here (by me) and was detached by a thoughtful Moderator.
It seemed much more important to a thread on Motor Sport than the endless debate about subscription copies' delivery, but probably a separate thread was a Good Idea.
It is important to remember that during The Bod's Editorship MS was a news magazine and WB's excursions into motoring history were an extra. That's why many of us find a set of MS for the period up to about 1995 such a useful reference/research tool.

I have used Motor Sport as my principle reference source and comfort for more years than I care to remember. Flicking back I find coffee and alcohol stains and food smears across road tests and race reports and can instantly recall when, where and why. Where ever I have lived my Motor Sports have always been there. Whatever the cover price, it's worth every penny.

#3814 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,974 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:59

I bought my first copy of Motor Sport in early 1962 and apart from some six or so issues I missed whilst on ''The Hippie Trail" between London and Sydney via Kabul, Calcutta, Kathmandu, Bangkok and Singapore in 1972, I have not missed one since. When living in the UK I would get them from the newsagent on, if I recall correctly, the first or second day of the month (Remember the editorial page carried the statement 'PUBLICATION DATE FIRST OF MONTH' immediately above 'MATTERS OF MOMENT'?).

Since being in Oz, I have tended to order them from my local newsagent to be delivered with the paper, since most newsagents don't routinely take Motor Sport and if so, they only order one or two copies. The point being that I've been a reader for close to 50 years without becoming a subscriber. When Motor Sport began to focus more on history and less on current events from, what was it, the mid nineties, there seemed less reason to ensure prompt delivery to the other side of the globe and any inclination I might have had to take out a subscription was dampened by the frequent whining and wailing in this thread about the torpidity of the subscription service.

Very recently, though, an excellent subscription offer combined with the heart warming (from my direction) Australian dollar/Sterling rate* prompted me to subscribe for the first time. So I was highly delighted that having sent off the order on the evening of Sunday 26 July, the August issue arrived in my post office box on the morning of Thursday July 7, very ironically, the day the we lost WB.

I call that splendid service and all the more noteworthy since the June issue only arrived from the newsagent the day before!

Have other Antipodean subscribers been experiencing this kind of delivery timeframe?

*An Aussie dollar is currently buying me around 67 pence. Many are the times I've visited the 'folks back home' with an agonising exchange rate of a lousy 35 to 40 pence for my hard earned buck! :|

#3815 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:02

I have used Motor Sport as my principle reference source and comfort for more years than I care to remember. Flicking back I find coffee and alcohol stains and food smears across road tests and race reports and can instantly recall when, where and why. Where ever I have lived my Motor Sports have always been there. Whatever the cover price, it's worth every penny.

I feel the same way. MS was fairly rare down under during its great years, but I first came across it in 1974 , bought the odd issue (It was horrendously expensive in Australia) and wondered what I had found. The journalism was very different to that I was used to in the Australian rags, and different again to the two quality Amercian magazines (Car & Driver and Road & Track) that I had grown up on because dad had subscriptions.

I quickly came to appreciate the DSJ mentality; Like DSJ I like nothing more than delving into a heap of racing car chassis numbers! WB took a bit longer but I got there with him too. I became so attached to MS that I set out to put a set together from the year of my birth, so many packages from UK and several personal trips later, I have a full set 1956-current. The new magazine is different but I know why it had to happen and I like that now too.

On one trip back from England I shipped several hundred copies of MS securely packed inside a sidecar body that a friend had bought and hence cost me nothing!

Vale WB.

Rob Saward

#3816 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 610 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:06

Food Smears, Coffee Stains! Such Sacrilege! While I don't quite put on surgical gloves to open and read Motor Sport, I've always tried to treat it with the reverence it deserves. The collection runs from 1967 to date, with the odd gap when I was overseas or when I missed seeing it in the bookshops.

Unlike the Australian TNFers I had never had any great difficulty finding MS in New Zealand shops, price seemed reasonable over the years. I took out a subscription in the '90's but let it lapse about 1998, when the style and content went off and bought odd copies only for about 10 years, when content had improved again, and when, as a superannuitant, nostalgia took precedence over the current day. My 2 year sub is due to run out soon, maybe I will let it lapse again and see if there is a good offer for new subscribers! I can easily find the missed copies in a bookshop. That appeals to my Scottish heritage.

Stu Buchanan

#3817 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 455 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 17:00

As a subscriber I've noticed that my copy does not have a bar code or price on the cover. Are there any other differences to the one son the nes stands?
"Gardeners' World" for example has added content for subscribers.

Edited by Derwent Motorsport, 10 July 2011 - 08:57.

#3818 retrospeed

retrospeed

• 94 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 21:10

Food Smears, Coffee Stains! Such Sacrilege! While I don't quite put on surgical gloves to open and read Motor Sport, I've always tried to treat it with the reverence it deserves. The collection runs from 1967 to date, with the odd gap when I was overseas or when I missed seeing it in the bookshops.

Unlike the Australian TNFers I had never had any great difficulty finding MS in New Zealand shops, price seemed reasonable over the years. I took out a subscription in the '90's but let it lapse about 1998, when the style and content went off and bought odd copies only for about 10 years, when content had improved again, and when, as a superannuitant, nostalgia took precedence over the current day. My 2 year sub is due to run out soon, maybe I will let it lapse again and see if there is a good offer for new subscribers! I can easily find the missed copies in a bookshop. That appeals to my Scottish heritage.

Stu Buchanan

Okay, maybe a bit of poetic licence involved. I really treasure my early volumes. 1945 is carefully handled. Mind you, I make no apologies regarding the Johnny Walker Black Label marks that spread themselves over the Jim Clark obitury issue, there was just too much in the glass!

#3819 Mig007

Mig007

• 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 22:37

Just a question to someone who has the 50's DVD or the 1958 MotorSport magazines. Did they forget te report and I've searched more than once accurately the magazines of that year in my DVD. Was it common not to report race sin USA in the 50's, just a regrettable forgetting or my mistake in not seeing that?

Advertisement

#3820 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,117 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:13

As a subscriber I've noticed that my copy does not have a bar code or price on the cover. Are there any other differences to the one son the nes stands?
"Gardeners' World" for example has hadded content for subscribers.

Odd the things one notices-just checked and the bar code dissapeared from my copy 3 months ago.I did notice something a couple of months ago when brousing at a bookstall that the copy on sale had an extra flap in front of the cover which I guess had the price details?

#3821 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 47 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:43

Odd the things one notices that I haven´t got any copy sinde April 24, and the my current subscription I´ve only recived the DVD and the Feb-March and May issues. The distribution system is dreadful here in Argentina: I think I wasted 120 pounds for the 2 years subscription. ):

#3822 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:39

Yes, it's another "Late Subscription Delivery" post.

Any other UK subscriber experiencing late delivery this month? The mag has been in the shops for a few days but mine has yet to arrive.

#3823 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 455 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:52

I've had mine for a week and just about read most of it!

Has anyone noticed any actual difference between the subscribers version and the news stand version? Othere mags like Gardeners' World have extra content and special offers for subscribers so if MS doesn't why are there two versions?

#3824 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:15

I've had mine for a week and just about read most of it!

Has anyone noticed any actual difference between the subscribers version and the news stand version? Othere mags like Gardeners' World have extra content and special offers for subscribers so if MS doesn't why are there two versions?

Apart from the front cover. No.

#3825 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:24

Lunch with TNFer John Fitzpatrick is excellent this month! :up:

#3826 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:40

I've had mine for a week!

Grrr :down: time to call the subs department.

#3827 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:48

I've got a complete set from 1963 to about 1978. They are free to collect from the Warwick area, otherwise they might end up being recycled into egg boxes or in landfill.
Chris

#3828 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 455 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:46

Apart from the front cover. No.

The question then is "Why?"

#3829 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 17:39

I've got a complete set from 1963 to about 1978. They are free to collect from the Warwick area, otherwise they might end up being recycled into egg boxes or in landfill.
Chris

Chris
Are they bound or loose?
Rgds
Paul

#3830 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,890 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 18:31

Chris
Are they bound or loose?
Rgds
Paul

I suspect he wouldn't just throw them away if they were bound :rolleyes:

#3831 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 15:35

I suspect he wouldn't just throw them away if they were bound :rolleyes:

You're right David, they're loose.
Chris

#3832 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:05

You're right David, they're loose.
Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm sending you a PM now.
Rgds
Paul

#3833 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 17:30

Am still waiting for my copy...for the first time in ages to be fair!!

#3834 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 18:33

I would be happy to see the back of that flappy bit on the front of the mag. First thing I do is get out the Stanley knife and slice it off.

#3835 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 19:10

I would be happy to see the back of that flappy bit on the front of the mag. First thing I do is get out the Stanley knife and slice it off.

You take a knife ... to Motor Sport?

#3836 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,223 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 19:25

Only when there's a full moon...

#3837 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 21:58

I prefer to see the whole front cover. If I want to know what's in it, there's a two page index of contents, I don't need some dumbed down version on the front.

#3838 AleSi

AleSi

• 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:46

It´s simple, for subscribers there are nice clean front pages without headlines, because they don´t need them. At newspaper stands there are motorsport magazines with the headlines to attract readers.

#3839 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:19

Am still waiting for my copy...for the first time in ages to be fair!!

I gave their subscriptions department a ring on Friday morning who were very apologetic and helpful, and a replacement copy arrived on Saturday morning, Special Delivery. Very impressed.

Advertisement

#3840 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,223 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:46

Motor Sport's UK subscriptions department are exemplary, best I've come across by far. I've had direct debit renewal problems a couple of times, they were really helpful in sorting everything out, ensuring that I received missed issues etc, all e-mails seem to get a proper reply the same day too.

#3841 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,974 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:10

Gosh! all this praise for Motor Sport's subscriptions department! I just have to join in. As a 50-year regular reader but a new subscriber, I was (as mentioned in post #3814) mightily impressed that my first (August) issue arrived here in the Adelaide Hills on July 7. Now that has been smartly followed up by the promotional Motor Sport brolly which arrived just in time for another low pressure front and associated precipitation! And a jolly fine brolly it is.

#3842 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:53

Motor Sport's UK subscriptions department are exemplary, best I've come across by far. I've had direct debit renewal problems a couple of times, they were really helpful in sorting everything out, ensuring that I received missed issues etc, all e-mails seem to get a proper reply the same day too.

I concur.

I contacted them the other week as my current subscription was coming to an end and had a couple of queries. Emails answered promptly, without reading like a cut-and-paste job, and, when I called them on the blower, spoke to a thoroughly decent ol' boy.

The benefits of having the subscription in-house, I assume?

#3843 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:45

I gave their subscriptions department a ring on Friday morning who were very apologetic and helpful, and a replacement copy arrived on Saturday morning, Special Delivery. Very impressed.

Thanks Hamish. I spoke to them yesterday, seems my two year subscription was up and the bank had cancelled the DD - the joys of Sanatander buying up all the banks I suppose!!
Renewed my subscription for another two and a half years.

#3844 john aston

john aston

• 825 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:21

Despite being a long term reader I have kept very few copies so I wonder if soembody could check something please ? I am writing something for a club magazine which refers to WB and his legacy-I am right in recalling he did a series called 'cars in books' but was there also 'books lately'? I seem to recall that c in b was about passing references to cars in non motoring books whilst books lately was reviews of books about cars- yes ?

#3845 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,299 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:29

Hello John,
"Cars in Books" was just as you surmise - at least it was in the '60s volumes I have to hand, where it is a sub-section of a "Book reviews" page. The page seems to include, variously, brief reviews of books; "Books news" eg, publishing news, books in preparation etc and a few miscellaneous topics, as they arose.

I seem to remember WB reviewing books with aviation and motorcycle content too now and again (and possibly railways on occasion?) but I can't readily find anything to confirm that.

Edited by 2F-001, 10 August 2011 - 18:32.

#3846 john aston

john aston

• 825 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:18

Hello John,
"Cars in Books" was just as you surmise - at least it was in the '60s volumes I have to hand, where it is a sub-section of a "Book reviews" page. The page seems to include, variously, brief reviews of books; "Books news" eg, publishing news, books in preparation etc and a few miscellaneous topics, as they arose.

I seem to remember WB reviewing books with aviation and motorcycle content too now and again (and possibly railways on occasion?) but I can't readily find anything to confirm that.

Tony - thanks- I think you can guess the magazine ..

#3847 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:04

I don't think "Cars in Books" was a review column. It was just a few snippets about cars that were referred to in books read by readers or magazine staff. the books could be novels, biographies or histories, in fact anything that was printed and accessible.

#3848 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,406 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 20:45

It´s simple, for subscribers there are nice clean front pages without headlines, because they don´t need them. At newspaper stands there are motorsport magazines with the headlines to attract readers.

MotorSport and Octane have very nice uncluttered covers for subscribers (even overseas), while Classic & Sports Cars does not.

#3849 willini

willini

• 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:44

I must say I have been impressed with the level of service I have received. I have been buying the magazine faithfully every month for the over 5 years from a local book shop, and finally took the plunge to subscribe for what was an excellent rate, and with a bonus umbrella to further sweeten the deal. I have to admit I was a little nervous as to what to expect reading other's experiences over the years with regard to subscription delivery but I have not been disappointed, the issues are arriving promptly, in good condition ( I am fussy about this) and all correspondence with the subscriptions department has been promptly dealt with. Keep up the good work, I look forward to many more hours of fabulous reading.

#3850 Gold

Gold

• 167 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 17:37

Motorsport magazine is technically the weakest and politically the most biased racing magazine I know.

Their articles are technically completely unresearched, offer no technical information, and their editors are almost all biased towards their own subjective opinions.

Off the top of my head, NONE of the publications from 1991 to 1995 and 2003-2007 offer any technical knowledge that not all of the other publications carry (the best I know of is the Heinz Pruller publication, he carries technical info that NO other publication does.)

And as for subjectivity, I know that Nigel Roebuck is the most biased motorsports journalist I have ever come across. He slated Senna shen he was alive and continues to do so now. A gem is: "most people don't know that Bellof was catching them both (Prost and Senna) in Monaco '84."

Without ofcourse, mentioning that Bellof was driving an N/A car as opposed to near enough everyone else on Turbo's, including Prost and Senna. Some reporting.

For the single most biased piece of reporting (let alone motorsporting journalism) read the dec 1991 publication and "DJT"'s "contribution" to it.

That tone, personal bias, lack of insight and childish personal swipes are exemplary in 20 years of motorsports reporting and unfortunately have continued in spirit at Motorsports Magazine until today. I for one am glad I don't subscribe to it.

Edited by Gold, 09 September 2011 - 17:42.